AMC Theaters "Default Imminent With Little Prospect for Recovery" - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #91 of 112 Old 06-07-2020, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2864 Post(s)
Liked: 1437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post

If Amazon buys AMC and it's anything like their streaming service, we're in trouble. With all the money they make, they have the worst, jumbled, convoluted mess of a streaming service. It's a joke.

Their service certainly can be a convoluted mess when trying to find older content, I will agree there. But so can netflix. I actually prefer prime over netflix... both have a ton of garbage, but at least prime puts out a decent film/show once in a while.

I wouldn't mind amazon taking over if: prime members get some sort of benefit, be it a mini-a-list sort of thing or stubs premium, and they bother to fix up the theaters to at least a certain standard. That's my biggest issue (and assume most folks) issues with theatres.... no point to paying a premium if the experience isn't premium. Even with a severe discount (like $6 tuesdays) quite often it wasn't worth the hassle (standard subpar screens, uncomfortable seats, etc). More than once I used promos for free tickets (or token amount) and it was a coin flip whether I'd go or not.

So... overlooking the whole monopoly aspect of things, not sure how amazon could do any worse than amc has been doing. It's not like amc has room to cut back on their amenities or make their theatres somehow worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 06-07-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Prime = audio.
Netflix = video.

All movie channel apps need to REALLY step up their audio games. A movie playing through a cable box should NOT sound better than the movie channel's app.
head_unit likes this.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #93 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

And yes, $200M films are going to be a lot rarer. .
I think this was bound to happen regardless...and probably should. Hopefully the false association that budget = quality will be a thing of the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIUFSU1 View Post
Even without the Coronavirus, this would have eventually come. Everything is about streaming now.
Sorry, but everybody doesn't stream their movies. This will be a sad day because the AMC near me is a very good theater. I guess that
leaves Regal. I guess I will just have to wait for them to come on disk if all the theaters close.

My System https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...2ch-setup.html
It ain't easy being green.
post #95 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a decent setup, but still would rather go to the Movie Theater. I have a 65" LG OLED, Denon AVR with 7.1 TrueHD/DTS, and Klipsch Reference II speakers.

Up to a few years ago, I watched maybe 1-2 movies a year at the movie theater......then came MoviePass…...I started to watch very possible movie I could and realized I really liked the movie theater experience more (but was unwilling to pay the high ticket cost)….when MoviePass died...I switched to AMC's A-List. It was great to see movies now in the Dolby Cinema room all the time. "A Star Is Born" was amazing in there as it felt like a real concert. Everyone is also pointing out the negatives to an audience, but I think audience reaction can be positive and something that you can't get at home.

My Primary DVR was 85% full at about 270HR of HDTV at the start of the shelter in place part of the Pandemic due to my movie habits. Years of TV built up. Now that DVR is completely clear......working on my secondary DVR which is about the same as the start of the first.
post #96 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Perhaps, its age related. I know now that there are less days ahead then behind me...my tolerance for dealing with the public in theaters has dwindled to none. My last time out to a theater...some 4+ years ago....was the final nail....at least 5 people I wanted to smack around. No more. Since then and slowly building up our home theater...sitting 10ft away from a 135screen with no distractions is all the theater "experience" we need.
post #97 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I too have a pretty decent setup at home. My reason to mostly go to the movie theater is to avoid spoilers. I only went to three last year (Us, End Game and Rise of Skywalker).
raistlin65 likes this.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System • SVS SB-1000
post #98 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIUFSU1 View Post
Even without the Coronavirus, this would have eventually come. Everything is about streaming now.
We'll see just how popular streaming movies continues to be as ISPs like Comcast reinstate data caps. Universal availability of "real" broadband at reasonable prices for the average consumer would go a long way towards making streaming the go-to choice, too.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #99 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 148
While I do enjoy a good movie (at home, not at theaters... theaters are terrible experiences) I have to say that honestly I would be OK with the entire Hollywood system taking a substantial downturn. While I do enjoy movies, that entire system is disgusting, and it would ultimately be better off if they had less exposure and influence in society.
head_unit and Vader424242 like this.
post #100 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 4684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
While I do enjoy a good movie (at home, not at theaters... theaters are terrible experiences) I have to say that honestly I would be OK with the entire Hollywood system taking a substantial downturn. While I do enjoy movies, that entire system is disgusting, and it would ultimately be better off if they had less exposure and influence in society.
I could see some of that "love" being shared with professional athletes and politicians.
head_unit and Spidacat like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #101 of 112 Old 06-08-2020, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked: 585
I don't care either way if theaters close or survive. There is just so much content available these days at home. Also, we gave up a 3 plus a month theater habit in 2011 and haven't missed it. I'll admit after a few years I thought I was missing something, so we tried the new premium theater walking distance from the house once in 2015 for the perfect storm of bad...everything from getting the tickets, to people, to sound/picture/temperature was awful.

Why play the Russian Roulette experience of going to the movies, when we can stay at home and control the temperature, picture, sound, breaks, snacks, seating, people around us and the cleanliness of seats/floor/air/bathroom/snacks. We don't have a dedicated or perfect room/equipment, but we do have an inexpensive 11 foot wide faux 4K image, comfortable seating and 7.4 sound.

I do see this current situation impacting us later on. I doubt we will return to our 4 or 5 (plus) weekly restaurant habit. Much like our 2011 departure from theaters, we have found that we haven't had a bad/unhealthy meal in months and haven't missed playing restaurant Russian Roulette of will the food be good, will we get refills/service, have you seen the waiter/waitress in the last 15 minutes, is the food cooked correctly, is this place clean, is the order right, is the portion(s) adequate, do you think he/she spit in our food, why is he/she coughing, why are they talking so loud at the next table, is the kid ever going to stop crying/screaming (we've had two but we wouldn't sit and let them cry for entire meals) and so on.

I just see time passing certain things by...from malls, to stores, to bookstores and now maybe theaters. I used to go to Malls all the time (my best pre-career job was at a Mall toy store) and we checked out three last year. Really sad to experience them dying with all the empty store fronts. I even checked out a few bookstores while there which used to be my favorite stop in malls. I've read over 350 books since I retired three plus years ago, but not a one was a physical purchase. Darn internet...it went out for a 5/6 hours a few weeks ago along with the cable and it seemed like we had trouble surviving as a family even with cellular access. Close every Mall, every store except for food and every theater, and no big deal. Lose the internet for an hour and the sky is falling.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3800/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 4K Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.

Last edited by steve1106; 06-08-2020 at 07:35 PM.
post #102 of 112 Old 06-09-2020, 06:38 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 490 Post(s)
Quoted: 1803 Post(s)
Liked: 1488
We still go to the theater on occasion, or at least did. It will be interesting to see what the movie theater landscape looks like a year from now.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #103 of 112 Old 06-09-2020, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sad to hear this...

Then again, I'm not really their best customer. I only go to the theater once per year on my birthday.
In my province we only have a few player left in that industry.
post #104 of 112 Old 06-09-2020, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 160
BEFORE COVID I was only planning on seeing Black Widow and WW84

Now Tenat is also added to the lst but in IMAX only
post #105 of 112 Old 06-09-2020, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 4684
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
I don't care either way if theaters close or survive. There is just so much content available these days at home. Also, we gave up a 3 plus a month theater habit in 2011 and haven't missed it. I'll admit after a few years I thought I was missing something, so we tried the new premium theater walking distance from the house once in 2015 for the perfect storm of bad...everything from getting the tickets, to people, to sound/picture/temperature was awful.

Why play the Russian Roulette experience of going to the movies, when we can stay at home and control the temperature, picture, sound, breaks, snacks, seating, people around us and the cleanliness of seats/floor/air/bathroom/snacks. We don't have a dedicated or perfect room/equipment, but we do have an inexpensive 11 foot wide faux 4K image, comfortable seating and 7.4 sound.

I do see this current situation impacting us later on. I doubt we will return to our 4 or 5 (plus) weekly restaurant habit. Much like our 2011 departure from theaters, we have found that we haven't had a bad/unhealthy meal in months and haven't missed playing restaurant Russian Roulette of will the food be good, will we get refills/service, have you seen the waiter/waitress in the last 15 minutes, is the food cooked correctly, is this place clean, is the order right, is the portion(s) adequate, do you think he/she spit in our food, why is he/she coughing, why are they talking so loud at the next table, is the kid ever going to stop crying/screaming (we've had two but we wouldn't sit and let them cry for entire meals) and so on.

I just see time passing certain things by...from malls, to stores, to bookstores and now maybe theaters. I used to go to Malls all the time (my best pre-career job was at a Mall toy store) and we checked out three last year. Really sad to experience them dying with all the empty store fronts. I even checked out a few bookstores while there which used to be my favorite stop in malls. I've read over 350 books since I retired three plus years ago, but not a one was a physical purchase. Darn internet...it went out for a 5/6 hours a few weeks ago along with the cable and it seemed like we had trouble surviving as a family even with cellular access. Close every Mall, every store except for food and every theater, and no big deal. Lose the internet for an hour and the sky is falling.

You covered it, with or without COVID-19, why cocooning industry continues to out-pace economy.

Except for the odd birthday or anniversary, restaurants haven't seen much of us over a couple of decades. Haut cuisine is rarely memorable. Wine listings are unimaginative and over-priced.

Netflix is gone. Amazon Prime Video survives due to Prime mail-order purchases. Cable TV is bare bones, hanging on by a thread, could be gone sooner.

Hard discs music/movies, books collected over decades, and internet survive.

Stay safe and happy.
Russell Burrows likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #106 of 112 Old 06-29-2020, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV? View Post
I have a decent setup, but still would rather go to the Movie Theater.
Amen! At one place I can use, it's Focal Aria 5.1 with an SVS SB-3000, LG OLED...but I'd rather go to the theater. Why? TO GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. To GO OUT. THAT is really the point. At home it is just not the same, you're aware of the house and laundry and the kitchen remodel and OMG what is that racket coming from [wherever], and police helicopters [I live in L.A. ] I simply cannot take movies seriously at home. Enjoy, sure, sometimes old classics via Amazon, but it's a more distracted experience.
BP1Fanatic likes this.
post #107 of 112 Old 07-02-2020, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hell, also living in LA in a crappy old apartment with non-insulated wooden roof sometimes I went to the movies just for the AC.
post #108 of 112 Old 07-07-2020, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Arcades started to die out when the video games were as good or even better at home. In the classic era, no Atari 2600 game or even Colecovision version was as good as the arcade versions, let alone new games coming out that those systems couldn't touch for years. But when the home systems caught up, that was it. Sadly, pinball is never the same on a computer simulation no matter how good the graphics or physics simulation as it's still not "real" and it was largely a casualty as well (Stern is left, but IMO the games don't compare to Bally games and they're very hard to find in the wild).

The problem for movie theaters is now becoming similar. Only the very rich could afford a really large screen in the 1980s or 1990s (by large I mean over 90 inches) with a CRT projector. It's only been about 15-20 years since projectors really started to become affordable and even less time since LCDs have really dropped in price and become more common in ever larger sizes. It also depends on how close you sit to the given screen, but in the SD days, you could only sit so close before scanlines became visible plus most screens back then were 4:3. Thus, the home theater industry (particularly the larger screens more than the speakers) coupled with streaming like Netflix (like a movie buffet) has made real theaters ever less relevant. There's also a much shorter time until a movie at the theater becomes available at home. It sucked to have to wait a year or even six months, but 2-3 months isn't very long at all. So in some ways, the industry has been shooting itself in the foot for some time now. The studios charging so much for the film that theaters have to charge ridiculous prices for candy and popcorn to make any kind of profit at all is the other problem. We think ticket prices are insane these days, but that's just what it takes to break even. Movies used to cost under $100 million to make. Even with inflation that would be $200 million since the 80s or less. With CGI, it should be far cheaper in some respects. But no, they go nuts with effects and salaries these days. When the stars can get 5-20 million a pop, those Avengers movies start to get insane before a single thing is filmed. But then they're expected to pull in "Billions" which was literally unheard of just 25 years ago. The industry is becoming dependent on China to turn a profit as well, which limits some things (e.g. Look at Tom Cruise's jacket in the new Top Gun when it's released as China DEMANDED certain patches be removed and we literally have to cave, which is ridiculous unto itself).

A better question might be whether big ticket movies in general will survive as we know them today if the theaters go under. Netflix/Disney+ style streaming doesn't seem like it'd be a huge money maker for new films unless they raised the monthly prices through the stratosphere. Renting a movie for $20 a pop will NEVER get a single bit of business from me when I can just wait 3 months and BUY it for $15. I think the industry is going to find that "double dip" of theater/home simply won't pan out with just the home. People pay theater prices to see a HUGE picture, not watch it on their 65" TV. Yes, some of us have much larger screens, but most people are in the 55-75" range at most. Yes, they paid for that Trolls 2 movie because they were desperate for something to do while stuck at home, but would they just because cinemas disappear or would they simply move to YOUTUBE and other sources for things to watch instead? I say it's the latter without a doubt. The movie industry will be forced to scale back and "Netflix Movies" will become the norm and those budgets will once again shrink way down whether people like the end result or not. Frankly, I think better movies were made in the past without the insane budgets. It's like video games. Better graphics doesn't equate to better gameplay. You don't get better acting with more CGI effects and green screens instead of real sets that put the actors more into the roll, etc. Too many movies seem over convoluted. I was watching some John Candy films like The Great Outdoors, Summer Rental and Who's Harry Crumb. They're not Academy Award winning material, but it seems like you just don't see basic lite comedy movies with minimal plots using big stars like that anymore. Movies like The Maltese Falcon just don't get made anymore. To get to the Chinese market, dialog has to be simplified for translation. Or movies have to have some crazy plot and/or massive CGI.

Maybe we're about due for some retro filmmaking anyway.

Click THEATER (Updated: Nov-12-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 6-22-20)
post #109 of 112 Old 07-07-2020, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Three most important things in a movie are story, story and story.

A good story movie does not depend either on cgi or actors.

A good story movie will stay a good story movie despite lack of cgi or star power actors.

A bad story movie will stay a bad story movie despite cgi and star power actors.

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #110 of 112 Old 07-07-2020, 02:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I think this was bound to happen regardless...and probably should. Hopefully the false association that budget = quality will be a thing of the past.
Theaters need to pick better movies and learn to select good story movies to get more profits.
There are good story driven movies.

I.E. Budget movies i liked are horror genre blair witch, sci fi genre primer , radius, osiris child.

Not every movie needs a 200m Budget.

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #111 of 112 Old 07-07-2020, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
Theaters need to pick better movies and learn to select good story movies to get more profits.

I.E. Budget movies i liked are horror genre blair witch, sci fi genre primer , radius, osiris child.

Come again? It wasn't until the 90's that theaters starting adding enough screens to cover any movie they want and now with digital projectors they can play whatever they want switching the movie on a screen multiple times a day.

Theaters obviously want to play the movies that will fill seats. Primer was never going to do that.

TV - Sony XBR-75Z9F | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears | 2nd TV - Sony 65XBR-930e
post #112 of 112 Old 07-07-2020, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
I don't think anyone really believes/believed that "budget = quality". Its all about return on investment and the greedy hope was that bigger investments would translate into bigger profits. If more of that $$$ made its way into the writers' pockets maybe we'd see more of those good stories we are all looking for instead or clones of prior successes, sequels and reboots.
Russell Burrows likes this.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
amc theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page