AMC Theaters "Default Imminent With Little Prospect for Recovery" - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 108Likes

post #1 of 112 Old 04-06-2020, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 69
AMC Theaters "Default Imminent With Little Prospect for Recovery"

Movieweb.com has an article discussing how AMC's credit has been downgraded to CCC- which stands for "Default imminent, with little prospect for recovery."

According to the article, AMC— the largest theater chain in North America—has taken drastic steps to attempt to survive the closure of its movie theaters. These include executives taking pay cuts as well as the company furloughing 600 employees.

Read the original article here: AMC Theatres May Never Recover and Shut Down for Good
Redmist and mik2h like this.

Last edited by AVS Forum News & Reviews; 04-06-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 04-13-2020, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 111
This is an unfortunate side effect of the pandemic. I’m afraid that there will be many more. Business has a lot of risk but it must be so frustrating for business owners to be blind sided and taken out by something like this.
BrianNLS likes this.
post #3 of 112 Old 04-17-2020, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 740
I am torn. I hate seeing business go under....and how it effects everyone involved. ....but....I haven't been to a theater since I built my home theater (going on 5 years) =P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 Old 04-19-2020, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Even without the Coronavirus, this would have eventually come. Everything is about streaming now.
curtisb and Redmist like this.
post #5 of 112 Old 04-20-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 4649
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIUFSU1 View Post
Even without the Coronavirus, this would have eventually come. Everything is about streaming now.
And discs released three months after theater run.
Brian Hampton and DavAbq like this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #6 of 112 Old 04-20-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I wonder how that will affect the movie studio's? I wonder how that might impact the audio/video industry as a whole.

My personal feelings are that my home theater is likely as good as my local theater. We just watched "Trolls World Tour" last night for $19.99 and for a family of four thats half of what a trip to the movie theater would cost - not even getting into candy and popcorn.
Brian Hampton likes this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #7 of 112 Old 04-22-2020, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
I am torn. I hate seeing business go under....and how it effects everyone involved. ....but....I haven't been to a theater since I built my home theater (going on 5 years) =P
Like you, I don't want to see people lose their jobs.

And while I still go to the movie theater, I would gladly pay what I pay to go to the movies to watch new ones at my home. So I am torn on this.

post #8 of 112 Old 04-26-2020, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'm sad about this as I remember movie theaters fondly but on the other hand there may be good deals on projectors in the future.

Sad lots of folks may loose jobs.

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #9 of 112 Old 04-26-2020, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Curious to see how these recent direct-releases (premium VOD) go for Universal (Trolls) and Warner Bros. (SCOOB!). This may accelerate an industry shift.
post #10 of 112 Old 05-02-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1602 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
I am more into physical media now and relax better knowing I"m not using the bandwidth in the home network that my kids need for online learning.

Like others I was also an user at a movie theater years ago. In my case it was AMC with 7 or 8 theaters. I might miss them .... a little. I own a theater now which is nice.

I don't think people will rush back to theaters.

-Brian
Russell Burrows likes this.

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 05-03-2020 at 05:02 AM.
post #11 of 112 Old 05-13-2020, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
I completely agree, as for me, theaters need a major technological breakthrough: years ago we went to the cinema for the sake of a beautiful picture and high-quality sound, then for the sake of 3D and better quality. But now I can watch movies and TV shows in 3D with high-quality sound in the company of friends in my basement! So why should I pay the theater too?..
post #12 of 112 Old 05-13-2020, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Well, let's see.

I can watch a movie on disc or by streaming at home, or........

I can go to a theater with a bunch of poorly-raised miscreants never taught the most basic of manners and listen to them babble the whole movie. All while half the theater spends most of the movie with their phones lit up in their faces on instagram and facebook.

Hmmmm, what to do?

But this is unfortunate. Now that the pandemic has become largely political, we could see the end of movies, concerts, sporting events......

I'm not sure this world will ever recover from this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #13 of 112 Old 05-15-2020, 12:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm not sure how much of their revenue people who only went for the supposed quality of Dolby Cinema and IMAX "premium" presentations made up for, but they even ended up alienating this group. I have a nice TV & sound at home, but went to AMC pretty much solely for Dolby/IMAX. I am close enough to arguably one of the best IMAX theaters in the US, even one that can still do 15/70, the Universal CityWalk IMAX. But then they ruined it. Used to go to another, closer Dolby Cinema theatre, then started noticing double images due to miscalibration. That's lasted for years now and AFAIK never fixed. It's just not a consistent good experience, regardless of whether there are annoying people or not. Even the "premium" presentations don't guarantee it, and even disappoint more cause they're so expensive.
Russell Burrows and VooBass like this.
post #14 of 112 Old 05-15-2020, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 192
AMC did three deals in 2016/2017 for $3 billion, when you spend that much money on a dying business model anything that causes a disruption will mean they default on loans. Sad but they should have been better with their money.

I am not sure how they plan to recover when they will not play Universal movies. I am sure if Bezos buys AMC they will play Universal movies again and lots of Amazon movies.

TV - Sony XBR-75Z9F | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears | 2nd TV - Sony 65XBR-930e
post #15 of 112 Old 05-22-2020, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I suspect they will go C11 or something like that and then someone will buy them for pennies on the dollar and can then make a business of it.

Jack
post #16 of 112 Old 05-27-2020, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 4420
Don't forget the owners of AMC are not American..Chinese money..AMC Theatres was acquired by Wanda Group, a Chinese conglomerate headquartered in Dalian, in May 2012. Wanda Group paid $2.6 billion to acquire AMC Theatres' 5,048 screens in 347 theaters in the U.S. and Canada. The deal was finalized on September 4, 2012. The acquisition made Wanda the world's largest cinema chain.

Take most of what analysts are saying.. with a very small grain of salt...
Jim Kiler, Redmist and thrillcat like this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #17 of 112 Old 05-29-2020, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I had a look at amc Orlando at uni studio s boardwalk and i said nope to the high prices.

They either adapt and deal with lower entry tickets prices or they cease to exist.

They had years to find less costly lease properties and years to invest in independent movie production but they instead decided to charge as much as possible and ignoring eficiency in business operation aka lets charge movie goers to the max.

I have my humble home theater and feel sorry about low level u.s. workers lost movie theater jobs.

As far as Chinese owners and investors heres how i feel

Byebitch.gif

Denon 4k avr, diy tla Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg 4k hu70la projector.steren projector mount upgraded at diy 135 inch screen sixteen subwoofers ten inch diameter boss build .
Pending buy quality dome midrange 1240 cubic foot ib for 16 fi car audio ib318 v2 subwoofers 4 nx3000 dsp
post #18 of 112 Old 05-29-2020, 11:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Liked: 4420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
I had a look at amc Orlando at uni studio s boardwalk and i said nope to the high prices.

They either adapt and deal with lower entry tickets prices or they cease to exist.

They had years to find less costly lease properties and years to invest in independent movie production but they instead decided to charge as much as possible and ignoring eficiency in business operation aka lets charge movie goers to the max.

I have my humble home theater and feel sorry about low level u.s. workers lost movie theater jobs.

As far as Chinese owners and investors heres how i feel

Byebitch.gif

It's like going to AMC at Universal Studios in Hollywood, CA. Nobody goes there (tourists mainly)..it's cheaper to go to Burbank and Burbank AMC has better facilities. Beware also industries are interconnected..AKA Your job is not safe...

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."

Last edited by tenthplanet; 05-29-2020 at 11:53 PM.
post #19 of 112 Old 06-01-2020, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oh gosh, you mean no more over-priced ****ty popcorn that takes 30 minutes in line to get so I can be annoyed at some little **** checking their Snapchat? I hope I can sleep tonight.
Redmist and altpensacola like this.
post #20 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 07:20 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 474 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9557 Post(s)
Liked: 16991
It only got worse today...

"AMC Theatres Expresses “Substantial Doubt” About Reopening"

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-03-2020 at 10:47 AM.
post #21 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked: 563
It'll be interesting to see where things go from here. There is definitely demand enough for theaters to continue to exist (or there will be once the coronavirus fears fade), but really the ones holding all the strings here are the studios. If they decide that streaming is a better business model than sending the films initially to theaters, then theaters are pretty much over. I'm reluctant to accept that that is the future of the movie industry but it is possible, I suppose.

Edit: after giving it some more thought. I actually find it highly unlikely that studios would stick to streaming. The theater plus disc/streaming option is essentially a way for the movie studios to double dip from the consumers. You pay to watch it in theaters and then you pay to buy/rent it on disc/streaming. Streaming may be a good alternative for the disc renting/buying phase, but they're still missing out on a ton of revenue from the theater phase.

Another thing to keep in mind here is that theaters are pretty significant infrastructure investments. The buildings and equipment aren't likely to go anywhere else. Even if one theater company goes out of business, another will pick it up later.

Last edited by javanpohl; 06-03-2020 at 07:35 AM.
post #22 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 07:56 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
It'll be interesting to see where things go from here. There is definitely demand enough for theaters to continue to exist (or there will be once the coronavirus fears fade), but really the ones holding all the strings here are the studios. If they decide that streaming is a better business model than sending the films initially to theaters, then theaters are pretty much over. I'm reluctant to accept that that is the future of the movie industry but it is possible, I suppose.

Edit: after giving it some more thought. I actually find it highly unlikely that studios would stick to streaming. The theater plus disc/streaming option is essentially a way for the movie studios to double dip from the consumers. You pay to watch it in theaters and then you pay to buy/rent it on disc/streaming. Streaming may be a good alternative for the disc renting/buying phase, but they're still missing out on a ton of revenue from the theater phase.

Another thing to keep in mind here is that theaters are pretty significant infrastructure investments. The buildings and equipment aren't likely to go anywhere else. Even if one theater company goes out of business, another will pick it up later.
It could all just be an academic issue of how a bankruptcy is structured.

Agreed the specialized spaces and equipment to make movie theater is essentially useless for any other purpose. Maybe Regal buys up the prime locations, if it survives and AMC does not...

I guess the one thing to keep in mind is all the old movie palaces that fell into ruin, with the lucky ones being saved and repurposed as performing arts centers. That was caused by TV. So it is in fact possible, By virtue of historical precedent, for these structures to just suddenly be obsolete.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #23 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Rumor is Amazon is on the table to consider buying AMC, thoughts on that? maybe and I would be totally down for this, they roll AMC A-List into the prime membership.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Pyle 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s + miniDSP 2x4HD (for Subs) Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #24 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 08:28 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
Rumor is Amazon is on the table to consider buying AMC, thoughts on that? maybe and I would be totally down for this, they roll AMC A-List into the prime membership.
As far as rumors go, I like it a lot because it provides food for thought.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #25 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 523
It seems inevitable that there will be a significant culling of existing movie theaters across the board. Direct-release VOD will own the majority of opening night/weekend business until the movie going public begins to feel safe in public groups. When people DO start going out again it will also probably be in even smaller numbers than have been seen in recent years. Kids on weekends and holidays plus teens and young adults on date night won't be a big enough market to keep all the existing theaters afloat going forward.

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means."

-Steve-

TCL 55R617, Denon AVR-X2400H, Philips BDP-7502, Onkyo DX-C390, (2) HEOS 3HS2's,
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble (FR/FL), MC150 (C), S100 (SR/SL), KLH E-12DB (SW)
post #26 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
Currently Im' working from home but my office is a few blocks away from AMC 25 in Times Square. Its my favorite Dolby Cinema and I think one of the first!
I hope they can survive this storm.
llang269 and ARROW-AV like this.

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
post #27 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 09:19 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Currently Im' working from home but my office is a few blocks away from AMC 25 in Times Square. Its my favorite Dolby Cinema and I think one of the first!
I hope they can survive this storm.
Great theater, I saw Deadpool premiere night there, one of the last times I went to a theater. I Remember thinking "if only all theaters were like us" but still, they need to do something about those exit signs casting light on the screen.
helvetica bold likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #28 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 691
I don't have anything wise to add, but since so many posts are of the "I prefer watching movies in my home theatre anyway" variety I wanted to cast a vote in the opposite direction. I was an A-List subscriber, and there's never been a better time to be a frequent, avid filmgoer. Dolby Cinema, IMAX and AMC Prime are all stellar ways to experience a movie, and although I love a good home theatre as much as everyone else at AVSForum there really is no comparison to a properly calibrated, well-designed movie theatre.

I watch plenty of streaming content as well as physical media (Netflix discs-by-mail FTW!), but will always stan for the cinema experience. Here's hoping that AMC makes it, or, at the least, some enterprise emerges out of the bankruptcy that can operate their better locations.
llang269, Enovare and rcsauvag like this.
post #29 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooBob View Post
I completely agree, as for me, theaters need a major technological breakthrough: years ago we went to the cinema for the sake of a beautiful picture and high-quality sound, then for the sake of 3D and better quality. But now I can watch movies and TV shows in 3D with high-quality sound in the company of friends in my basement! So why should I pay the theater too?..
Those of us on AVS Forum are the minority of the total movie going population, though. While I have a decent setup at home, I do not have a dedicated home theater. Most people do not even have what I have. While I prefer watching many movies at home, I do still enjoy going to see certain movies "on the big screen" for the experience. (Good example, watching A Quiet Place in a full theater was an experience I could not have replicated at home.) Even with people who like to stream content, most people doing that at home are likely using a flat screen TV and maybe a soundbar. Losing the option of movie theaters will be a big loss to people who do not have dedicated home theaters with great projection and equipment.
curtisb, Spock1234, femi and 1 others like this.

Mark
Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 Plasma, NAD T775 receiver, OPPO BDP-103, AT&T uVerse
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable w/Ortofon 2M Red cartridge, NAD PP-2 phono preamp
Era D5 front left/right, Era D5 LCR center, Triad in-ceiling Mini 8/LCR surrounds, dual SVS SB12-NSD subs
post #30 of 112 Old 06-03-2020, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Great theater, I saw Deadpool premiere night there, one of the last times I went to a theater. I Remember thinking "if only all theaters were like us" but still, they need to do something about those exit signs casting light on the screen.
The Martian was my first film I watched there. I was in awe of Dolby Atmos in that theater, what an experience.

LG65C9 & E9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, Q Acoustics: 3010i & 3090Ci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
amc theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page