AMC #Cancels Universal Studios Films over Trolls World Tour Flap - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 113Likes

post #1 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 468 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9494 Post(s)
Liked: 16854
AMC #Cancels Universal Studios Films over Trolls World Tour Flap

Even though it is financially struggling, and it’s theaters remain shuttered with an uncertain future, and TV sales are WAY up, Chinese-owned AMC says that when it reopens, it plans to shun Universal Studios movies.

Why such hard feelings? Apparently it is the success of Trolls World Tour video on demand that has led to this acrimony.

Key quote "As it turned out, Universal made more revenue from Trolls World Tour after three weeks in digital release than they did from five months of the original Trolls in theaters." - IGN

Trolls World Tour made a hundred million bucks in VOD rentals so far, which is enough to open studio's eyes. What may have triggered AMC is the following quote from Universal: "As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats."

Check out this article from IGN for more info: AMC Theaters Refuses to Play Universal Movies Once Theaters Reopen

And here's an article from CNN on the topic: AMC bans Universal films from its theaters over 'Trolls World Tour' spat
SuperFist likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-29-2020 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 04:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 3671
AMC Theaters has really learned how to shoot itself in the foot in a big way
sdurani, sdg4vfx and ataneruo like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #3 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I'm sure that will just encourage Universal to direct release more movies and bypass the theaters. This doesn't seem like a good business move for AMC to me.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I'm sure that will just encourage Universal to direct release more movies and bypass the theaters. This doesn't seem like a good business move for AMC to me.
I have to strongly agree there, it's not like Universal doesn't have a distribution channel given that it is owned by Comcast, which aside from its cable business owns Fandango, and Fandango just bought Vudu.

Shots fired.
sdg4vfx and ataneruo like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 5707 Post(s)
Liked: 4821
What Universal has discovered will be picked up by other studios. The studios are all about making money and if shooting the middle man (the theaters) makes them more money, theaters will be gone. The studios are already up against Apple, Netflix and Amazon so they may as well join the fray.

The times, they are a changing !!!
sdrucker and sdg4vfx like this.
post #6 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
What Universal has discovered will be picked up by other studios. The studios are all about making money and if shooting the middle man (the theaters) makes them more money, theaters will be gone. The studios are already up against Apple, Netflix and Amazon so they may as well join the fray.

Suddenly it's clear exactly why we haven't seen this before. It's because the movie theaters effectively blackmailed the studios, if you do it once, you're completely cut out of theatrical distribution. I get it "it's business."

But having the exact same attitude when all your theaters are closed, and with uncertain prospects for how many tickets you can sell even when they do reopen, and consumers can pick up an 82" Samsung at Walmart for under 2 grand (i.e. a BIG TV is much less expensive than ever)??? I do not see how AMC has any leverage whatsoever anymore.
Russell Burrows likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-29-2020 at 05:34 AM.
post #7 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

We rented Trolls: World Tour and really enjoyed it. I do prefer the higher quality of disks for movies, but I thought the quality was pretty good. My theater, though modest, is probably pretty close to being as good as our local AMC anyways, and at $20 for our family of four, it was half the price of going to see it in a theater and even more so if you add in drinks and popcorn. Most people though don't have a Home Theater and watching a movie on a 60" TV in a typical living room isn't near the experience, so I think in one form or another movie theaters will survive - but not if the piss off the studios.
sdg4vfx and Jonas2 like this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #8 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
We rented Trolls: World Tour and really enjoyed it. I do prefer the higher quality of disks for movies, but I thought the quality was pretty good. My theater, though modest, is probably pretty close to being as good as our local AMC anyways, and at $20 for our family of four, it was half the price of going to see it in a theater and even more so if you add in drinks and popcorn. Most people though don't have a Home Theater and watching a movie on a 60" TV in a typical living room isn't near the experience, so I think in one form or another movie theaters will survive - but not if the piss off the studios.
My first thought is Regal gets to have exclusives on Universal releases, which could help fill its theaters. Unless Regal joins AMC, it's like handing customers directly to your competitor.

And yes, "youngsters" will still want to place they can go out as a pack of friends, or on a date, and get a tiny bit of privacy that's unachievable in a home. I don't think that's going away. Cinephiles will want their art-house viewings. And people who love big action filled movies will likely still appreciate what premium amphitheaters like IMAX and Dolby Cinema offer.
mik2h likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Suddenly it's clear exactly why we haven't seen this before. It's because the movie theaters effectively blackmailed the studios, if you do it once, you're completely cut out of theatrical distribution. I get it "it's business."

But having the exact same attitude when all your theaters are closed, and with uncertain prospects for how many tickets you can sell even when they do reopen, and consumers can pick up an 82" Samsung at Walmart for under 2 grand (i.e. a BIG TV is much less expensive than ever)??? I do not see how AMC has any leverage whatsoever anymore.
I think the Trolls release was a bit of the right movie at the right time. It came out right after all schools were closed and it's a Kids movie. I know my grand Kids could care less if they see a movie on the TV or even their tablet/phone compared to a true theater. The slight few of us that have a HT that can do a blockbuster justice are rare and adults will still want to see them in a theater. I do agree AMC would be committing suicide to ban Universal.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #10 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked: 2570
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Home Theatres are the way to go.

God Bless!
A good way to test your Iris on your projector is on the Spears and Munsil disc. Go to Video processing then select Luminance Loading. Don't stare directly at the lens but on an angle and you can actually see the Iris at work.
post #11 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 06:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 498 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6535 Post(s)
Liked: 6377
Since I completed my home theater 10 years ago I've been to a real theater 4 times, You just need to be patient for a blockbuster. I went to Interstellar at an IMAX and it was terrible, it was just before they switched to digital and the highlights in the image were flickering terribly. Very distracting.
Russell Burrows and sdg4vfx like this.
post #12 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked: 7196
Quote:
Trolls World Tour made a hundred million bucks in VOD rentals so far, which is enough to open studio's eyes. What may have triggered AMC is the following quote from Universal: "As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats."
It was inevitable, even without the pandemic; and it's about damn time, if you ask me!
Russell Burrows likes this.
post #13 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Biggest Fear is Aspect Ratio

My biggest fear of direct release is the aspect ratio. Netflix compromised with directors and have their own aspect ratio (2:1) which is better than 16x9, but not as good at 2.35:1 or wider. This would be a major bummer for me since I like the wider cinematic experience. I'd still prefer to get the movies on disk as well for various reason, including full HD audio.

I'm with Big on going to the theaters. I have kids and we've only been to a couple movies at the theaters, just so they could experience it. My kids have never asked to go and seem indifferent as the home experience is quite nice and super convenient.
post #14 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
I have to strongly agree there, it's not like Universal doesn't have a distribution channel given that it is owned by Comcast, which aside from its cable business owns Fandango, and Fandango just bought Vudu.

Shots fired.
They also are about to launch their own streaming service "Peacock" With AMC having issues financially more than ever, very surprising they would comment in such a way
post #15 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's true. If movie theaters went away or if more movies went direct to stream would more and more content be 16:9? I really like movies being in wider aspect ratios and that's one reason I went with a Scope screen.

post #16 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
My biggest fear of direct release is the aspect ratio. Netflix compromised with directors and have their own aspect ratio (2:1) which is better than 16x9, but not as good at 2.35:1 or wider. This would be a major bummer for me since I like the wider cinematic experience. I'd still prefer to get the movies on disk as well for various reason, including full HD audio.

I'm with Big on going to the theaters. I have kids and we've only been to a couple movies at the theaters, just so they could experience it. My kids have never asked to go and seem indifferent as the home experience is quite nice and super convenient.
Quote:
That's true. If movie theaters went away or if more movies went direct to stream would more and more content be 16:9? I really like movies being in wider aspect ratios and that's one reason I went with a Scope screen.
All the more reason to go CIW vs CIH IMO given the proliferation of really great content in Non-Scope format.

If all movies could be Digital that would be amazing - since currently my HT offers better sound and video than the local AMC. Even those Dolby Vision enabled theatres. Most of them tout high contract images but then they have Red Exit signs casting a red light on the screen. It seems like they dont even know how to design a good theatre anymore.

So bring on the digital and blu-ray movies.

Gear: Fronts: B&W 804D3 | Center: B&W HTM2D3 | Surrounds: B&W 684S2 | Backs: B&W 684S2 | Heights: B&W DM601S3 | Subs: 3x PSA S1500 Receiver & Amps: Arcam AV40 + Monoprice Monolith 7x200 + Outlaw 7000x | Projector: JVC NX7 | Screen: 126 inch 16:9 Stewart Studiotek 130 G4 | Source: HTPC with Nvidia 2070, Kodi + External Player: MPC-HC with MadVR (for Blu-ray rips), Nvidia Shield (for streaming content)
post #17 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Not to worry, Magic Johnson Theatres will pick up the slack.
post #18 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 557
This honestly makes me want to cancel my AMC theater pass. A very large Alamo drafthouse did open up right next to my house. Still not an easy decision though, as the AMC that is also right next to my house is the largest theater in Colorado. And: Dolby Cinema (still haven't checked out the "Big Show" at the Alamo but I'm just guessing it definitely isn't BETTER than the Dolby Cinema).
post #19 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 911
With the announcement from the academy regarding streaming movies now being eligible almost immediately the theater business model will change immensely .
https://theweek.com/speedreads/91155...cars-next-year
markrubin and imagic like this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #20 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2149 Post(s)
Liked: 2259
I am all about these $20 rentals, but I would love an option at $30. Give me the 48 hour rental today, and when the movie is released it is mine to own. I wouldn't even think twice.
post #21 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 304
I think Universal is making a miscalculation. The reason why Trolls made so much at home is because people are stuck at home and VOD will decline sharply once the quarantine is lifted and people venture out. Also, AMC is the largest theater chain in the US, Universal was the fourth highest grossing studio in 2019, Jurassic Park and Fast and Furious aren't cheap to make, and they still need traditional theater distribution to make back the money they spend to produce these movies.

Universal isn't Disney, they can't afford to tell the theaters to take a hike. I think this will be resolved via some negotiation and Universal movies will return to AMC.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #22 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
I think Universal is making a miscalculation. The reason why Trolls made so much at home is because people are stuck at home and VOD will decline sharply once the quarantine is lifted and people venture out. Also, AMC is the largest theater chain in the US, Universal was the fourth highest grossing studio in 2019, Jurassic Park and Fast and Furious aren't cheap to make, and they still need traditional theater distribution to make back the money they spend to produce these movies.

Universal isn't Disney, they can't afford to tell the theaters to take a hike. I think this will be resolved via some negotiation and Universal movies will return to AMC.
Well, when you say Universal, you're saying Comcast. The market cap of Disney and Comcast are pretty close all things considered. Comcast does in fact have options in this game, IMO, because it has the money and the distribution channels.

I do know this, if people have to sit 6 feet apart in movie theaters after they reopen, then it's a moot point, the profitability of a blockbuster is gone.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-29-2020 at 10:22 AM.
post #23 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Well, when you say Universal, you're saying Comcast. The market cap of Disney and Comcast are pretty close. Comcast does in fact have options in this game, IMO, because it has the money and the distribution channels.
I say give the viewer the choice! Home Movies all the way!
post #24 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Regal says it's not showing movies that "fail to respect the windows" either. Which I "get" but still, with no timeline for a return to normal when it comes to commercial theaters, does it matter? How long can these companies wait to make a comeback? If AMC is on the edge of insolvency, how is it going to manage all this? Regal too... how long can they hold out?

https://deadline.com/2020/04/cinewor...ws-1202920828/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-29-2020 at 10:39 AM.
post #25 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Regal says it's not showing movies that "fail to respect the windows" either. Which I "get" but still, with no timeline for a return to normal when it comes to commercial theaters, does it matter? How long can these companies wait to make a comeback? If AMC is on the edge of insolvency, how is it going to manage all this? Regal too... how long can they hold out?

https://deadline.com/2020/04/cinewor...ws-1202920828/
This feels like 'last gasp' posturing by movie theater chains to keep an exclusive window that will change based on customer preferences. Like trying to hold back the tide. It is easy to make a hard line stance on shutting out an entire Studios movie content when everything is shuttered and even if opened tomorrow very few would venture out and pack a theater. This will likely end in a negotiation that sees this 3-month window shrinking much more than theaters desire.
ataneruo likes this.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #26 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I know that Universal advertised the hell out of that Trolls movie. I couldn't watch an online video or stream a show (funny enough) on the AMC app (Better Call Saul) without seeing the ad.

Chet
post #27 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Universal isn't exactly a money printing machine. They chose to push the Fast and the Furious 9 out a full year for release and the final Jurassic World is in post. This is probably a concerted effort by the theater owners to get the message out to the studios. It was announced today that, this year only, the Academy will not enforce the rule requiring a theatrical exhibit to be considered for an Oscar. The actual language of the Universal statement is filled with caveats. I think Universal will use this as opportunity to test their negotiating power with theaters, but at the end of the day, the big films will go to theaters. The smaller films that would see limited release will probably go to PVOD.

I do enjoy going to theaters for big, event type of movies. I saw The Rise of Skywalker in a theater but nothing since then primarily because life is real hectic. My dedicated theater room is undergoing an upgrade but it generally tops theaters with the exception being Dolby Cinemas or true IMAX.

All in all, I'm ready to go back to see a movie in the theater.
mik2h likes this.

Grady
<<plain fan>>
post #28 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 105
If I've learned anything in sci-fi movies is that there are no movie theaters in the future. It's all about instant personal gratification/entertainment.

And if the numbers are showing video on demand to pull in these kinds of numbers why would they not move to this channel?

Convenience trumps everything for the average consumer and if they can rent new releases day one of release, why not. That's why we on the forums have our own theaters. Of all people we should rejoice now we can just chill at home and watch the movie with better picture and sound.

[Bed] Speakers: Martin Logan Motion 40 | Receiver: Peachtree Decco125 Sky | [Living] Speakers: B&W 804 Diamonds | Pre-Amp: Parasound P6 | Amp: Rotel RB-1582 MKII | Subwoofers: 2x REL T5i | [Office] Speakers: B&W CM6 S2 Bookshelves + ML Dynamo 300 sub | Receiver: Yamaha R-N803 | [Theater] Speakers: 2x Polk Audio LSiM 707 Towers + 706C Center + 4x 703 Bookshelves + 2x rc60i Ceiling + 2x Martin Logan Depth i | Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3070
post #29 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post
If I've learned anything in sci-fi movies is that there are no movie theaters in the future. It's all about instant personal gratification/entertainment.

And if the numbers are showing video on demand to pull in these kinds of numbers why would they not move to this channel?

Convenience trumps everything for the average consumer and if they can rent new releases day one of release, why not. That's why we on the forums have our own theaters. Of all people we should rejoice now we can just chill at home and watch the movie with better picture and sound.

exactly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 55C8, Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503, Panamax M5400, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield Pro
Definitive Technology: BP9060 Front left/right/CS9040 center/A90 front Atmos/ProMonitor 800 rear Atmos/SR9040 surround left/right
Rythmik FVX15
post #30 of 111 Old 04-29-2020, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Although these times are a bit of an outlier on all fronts, $100M will get everybody's attention at any time. The B&M theaters are making such a dramatic response because they can see the writing on the wall.

Personally, I don't care if B&M theaters start to fade the same direction that drive-in theaters went. I've been once in the last 5 years or so, because my son really wanted to see a certain movie for his birthday. Afterwords he commented about how rudely the only other group of people in the theater were constantly talking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page