• 1 Post By gajCA

post #1 of 25 Old 05-27-2020, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 473 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9557 Post(s)
Liked: 16971
Sandy Gross Leaves GoldenEar

Sandy Gross is the co-founder of Polk, Definitive Technology and GoldenEar. There's a good chance you've owned speakers he's had a hand in developing and marketing at some point in your life. Recently, Sandy had sold his third speaker company, GoldenEar, to Quest Group, the parent company of AudioQuest.

In a letter released today, Sandy announces his departure from GoldenEar and the speaker industry in general. Here it is:

"To all my friends and colleagues,

I have been involved in the audio industry all my working career, almost 50 years, and it has been grand. I have co-founded three very significant companies, created countless great loudspeakers, worked with and met many wonderful people and made many terrific friends.

It has been a blessing and a blast.

We sold GoldenEar to The Quest Group in January and it had been my intention to stay on and continue with my life's work, involvement in product design, sales and marketing. Working with Bill and all the people at AudioQuest has been great and I have enjoyed it very much. However, the world has changed and I have decided to step down from my position as President Emeritus of GoldenEar and take a little time off to pursue all my many interests.

Thanks to everyone for your support and friendship over the years. It has really helped to make the magic happen! I look forward to many more years together. Please stay in touch!

Onward and Upward,

Sandy Gross
GoldenEar Technology"

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-27-2020, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Well, you knew this was coming....
llang269 likes this.

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #3 of 25 Old 05-27-2020, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 309
A giant in the industry! Polk, Definitive, GoldenEar - all incredible companies. A master at bringing "audiophile" speakers and technologies to people at prices that made the products obtainable to the masses. And, let's face it, this guy knew how to market his products. Let's hope his legacy companies can continue aspiring to achieve great sound at a fraction of the cost of the big boys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Why do I feel this was his intent when he sold the company. I'll be honest I don't think it is a great thing for him to be leaving as these speakers have been "his" vision. I don't own any GoldenEar stuff, but I have owned Polk Audio and Definitive in the past.

Home Theater 5.1 Setup: Marantz AV8805, Sunfire TGA-7401, Monitor Audio Gold GX300 Front/Rear, Monitor Audio Gold GXC 350 Center, Rythmik Audio G25HP, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung PN64F8500
PC Audio 5.1 Setup: Denon AVR-X3300W, Monitor Audio Gold GX100 Front/Rear, Monitor Audio Gold GXC 150 Center, Rythmik Audio F12SE
post #5 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Why did he really leave?

Would it be safe to assume that he will create yet another speaker company down the road? He, most likely, has a non compete contract that would exclude him from creating a new company for x amount of years. I am guessing that he butted heads with the new owners and said screw it.
hk2000, llang269 and New24K like this.
post #6 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknordlie View Post
Would it be safe to assume that he will create yet another speaker company down the road? He, most likely, has a non compete contract that would exclude him from creating a new company for x amount of years. I am guessing that he butted heads with the new owners and said screw it.

That is exactly the same feeling I got from his letter.

I'm guessing Sandy Gross 4.0 in five years.
llang269 likes this.

Shopping List:
post #7 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ditto.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Great guy he would take us for Dim Sum when he visited us when I worked at Gramophons here in Maryland
JMAX2016 likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsnead View Post
Great guy he would take us for Dim Sum when he visited us when I worked at Gramophons here in Maryland
I live in Timonium, mere minutes from Gramophone here. It'll be nice when I can go inside again!
post #10 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Absolutely! He really doesn't heave to do anything special to start a new very successful speaker company. I mean speaker design has become more of a established "science", you only need a good marketing campaign, and in his case, that's automatically taken care of. His designs are all very similar, a twist here and tweak there and you got yourself a new speaker line.

This is not to say he's not a great speaker designer- but in reality, the Golden Ear and the Def Tech lines are so similar, there isn't a speaker in one line that doesn't have an absolutely identical sound to that of a speaker from the other line.
llang269 likes this.
post #11 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
That is exactly the same feeling I got from his letter.

I'm guessing Sandy Gross 4.0 in five years.

He's getting up there in age so I have my doubts!
post #12 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sandy is, I believe, 70. Not sure if he would have either the energy or desire to start anew at 75. Hopefully his health is decent enough to be able to do so if desired.

Regarding Goldenear, I hope the new owners don’t run this into the ground and ruin the brand. How often have we seen this with other companies? Hopefully their engineers will have the capability to make these speakers even better. Could be a tall order. Time will tell. I still love my Triton 2’s!
Mikkle and Tim Glover like this.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess that 50 years isn’t enough for some people. Go out at the top of your game. There’s nothing better. Maybe some time left to RELAX.
Panson likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrat View Post
He's getting up there in age so I have my doubts!
Quote:
Sandy is, I believe, 70. Not sure if he would have either the energy or desire to start anew at 75. Hopefully his health is decent enough to be able to do so if desired.

Regarding Goldenear, I hope the new owners don’t run this into the ground and ruin the brand. How often have we seen this with other companies? Hopefully their engineers will have the capability to make these speakers even better. Could be a tall order. Time will tell. I still love my Triton 2’s!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanLee View Post
I guess that 50 years isn’t enough for some people. Go out at the top of your game. There’s nothing better. Maybe some time left to RELAX.
My guess is he's retiring. He's got an enviable art collection, loving wife, kids and he's made his mark in this industry, no doubt.

You have to look at how GoldenEar was targeted as a brand to understand why its value may no longer be what it was. Sandy knew that dealers are all about "points" which is to say, the percentage of the sale price that is theirs to keep. The markup on GoldenEar is high, the product is not sold online, and uniform pricing is enforced so the only way you can get a sale or a deal on it is to go see the dealer and cut a deal.

This was great for dealers because it presented a profitable product that is desirable, yet protected from the "cannibalism" that occurs when brands run their own web store and also sell through Amazon.

The only catch is that you have to have brick-and-mortar stores for this to work. Without an online distribution network, what are they going to do? Contrast that to the Internet direct brands.
Frank F, llang269 and Mikkle like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #15 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Maybe Quest wanted to put in Audioquest's snake oil products in the speakers and hike the price up by 500% and he was like "I'm out!"
New24K likes this.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thank You, Sandy.

I was involved in audio sales since the early '70's and have thought highly of your products. I really love my GoldenEar system and plan to expand it to Atmos.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4008 Post(s)
Liked: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
My guess is he's retiring. He's got an enviable art collection, loving wife, kids and he's made his mark in this industry, no doubt.

You have to look at how GoldenEar was targeted as a brand to understand why its value may no longer be what it was. Sandy knew that dealers are all about "points" which is to say, the percentage of the sale price that is theirs to keep. The markup on GoldenEar is high, the product is not sold online, and uniform pricing is enforced so the only way you can get a sale or a deal on it is to go see the dealer and cut a deal.

This was great for dealers because it presented a profitable product that is desirable, yet protected from the "cannibalism" that occurs when brands run their own web store and also sell through Amazon.

The only catch is that you have to have brick-and-mortar stores for this to work. Without an online distribution network, what are they going to do? Contrast that to the Internet direct brands.

You nailed it. Unlike most people that get into the speaker business, Sandy excelled at the marketing/business end.
llang269 likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #18 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk2000 View Post
... but in reality, the Golden Ear and the Def Tech lines are so similar, there isn't a speaker in one line that doesn't have an absolutely identical sound to that of a speaker from the other line.

What "reality" are you living in? lol

Name me one Def Tech speaker that sounds "absolutely identical" to the... GoldenEar Triton Reference...?

The list could go on and on...
RxpSGR and Spleen like this.

Shopping List:
post #19 of 25 Old 05-28-2020, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Memo to The Quest Group:

It took me many years of searching for new loudspeakers that I really really like, especially for the money. The Triton One fit the bill for me. With Sandy leaving, do NOT screw up GoldenEar products. They sound amazing. Do not change anything to existing products and do not raise prices. Well, you can raise prices a little if you have them made in the USA instead of China. (With current world events I will try to not buy anything in the future made in China.)

Best wishes and long live GoldenEar.
JMAX2016 and Frank F like this.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-30-2020, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked: 7207
Good for him.

I hope he enjoys his retirement as much as I enjoy mine.

Has to be at least 70.

I retired at 51 so he's worked far longer than I.
Panson likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #21 of 25 Old 05-30-2020, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 38
One of the GOAT's for sure...

Love my Triton 1's.

I also met Sandy down at Gramophone.

Yamaha Aventage 3060, 7.2.4
Goldenear Triton 1's, Supercenter XXL, 4-MPX, 4-652
4-18" Ultimax's - 16 cu ft ported, 2 - Behringer NX6000's
JVC RS500 Pro, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-Ray Player
137" wide 16:9 V6 AT Screen
post #22 of 25 Old 06-01-2020, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 95
They say your hearing goes when you get old yet Sandy and Richard Vandersteen have been turning out great speakers in their advanced age (Mine too). Kudos to them.

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8805& MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Fronts and cetern) Triton Ones(Rear),/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K
post #23 of 25 Old 06-01-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
They say your hearing goes when you get old yet Sandy and Richard Vandersteen have been turning out great speakers in their advanced age (Mine too). Kudos to them.

Funny you should mention that. Some people find the AMT tweeters to be too bright, I don’t but I’m 62 (would I have a different opinion if I were 25?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #24 of 25 Old 06-25-2020, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Sandy Gross is the co-founder of Polk, Definitive Technology and GoldenEar. There's a good chance you've owned speakers he's had a hand in developing and marketing at some point in your life. Recently, Sandy had sold his third speaker company, GoldenEar, to Quest Group, the parent company of AudioQuest.

In a letter released today, Sandy announces his departure from GoldenEar and the speaker industry in general. Here it is:

"To all my friends and colleagues,

I have been involved in the audio industry all my working career, almost 50 years, and it has been grand. I have co-founded three very significant companies, created countless great loudspeakers, worked with and met many wonderful people and made many terrific friends.

It has been a blessing and a blast.

We sold GoldenEar to The Quest Group in January and it had been my intention to stay on and continue with my life's work, involvement in product design, sales and marketing. Working with Bill and all the people at AudioQuest has been great and I have enjoyed it very much. However, the world has changed and I have decided to step down from my position as President Emeritus of GoldenEar and take a little time off to pursue all my many interests.

Thanks to everyone for your support and friendship over the years. It has really helped to make the magic happen! I look forward to many more years together. Please stay in touch!

Onward and Upward,

Sandy Gross
GoldenEar Technology"
I worked at AQ many years ago and I can tell you that when Bill embraces something it flourishes. I bought the Triton Ones years ago and I consider it one of the best "bang for the bucks" I've ever heard. You can appreciate small improvements in your system- they are that revealing. I have some older cables/speaker cables from the AQ line and even with the dramatic difference in price the speakers shine through. I plan on getting the Triton Reference soon since I heard them and A/B'ed them.

The Quest Group is a great landing spot for GE- I hoped that they wouldn't get sold to an "offshore owned" company nd ran into the ground. I am more excited for what Bill and Co can so to improve on the GE sound.

Long Live the GE brand!
post #25 of 25 Old 06-26-2020, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Funny you should mention that. Some people find the AMT tweeters to be too bright, I don’t but I’m 62 (would I have a different opinion if I were 25?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The thing is they are also fairly directional (which is why I think some people describe them as having characteristics of a horn) so you can attenuate that brightness with just a bit of adjustment to the toe-in

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Tags
audioquest , Goldenear

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page