Sound United Plans to Buy Bowers & Wilkins - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
  • 6 Post By GalvatronType_R
  • 3 Post By 18Hurts
  • 1 Post By turnne1
  • 1 Post By avsBuddy
  • 4 Post By Patrick Butler
  • 1 Post By hk2000
  • 2 Post By hk2000

post #1 of 22 Old 06-12-2020, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9559 Post(s)
Liked: 17008
Sound United Plans to Buy Bowers & Wilkins

Sound United is looking to add another major, legendary speaker brand to its portfolio. It has announced intent to purchase Bowers & Wilkins.

FULL PRESS RELEASE

Sound United Enters into a Preliminary Agreement to Acquire Bowers & Wilkins

Vista, Calif (June 12, 2020)—Sound United LLC, parent company to Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, HEOS, Classé, and Boston Acoustics, today announced it entered into a preliminary letter of intent to acquire Bowers & Wilkins, a leading designer and manufacturer of precision home speakers, headphones, custom installation products, wireless speakers, and branded audio systems in the automotive and television markets.

“Over the course of five decades Bowers & Wilkins built one of the most prestigious brands in the global speaker market with industry-leading acoustical engineering, iconic design and marketing,” said Kevin Duffy, CEO at Sound United. “B&W is a transformative brand and we look forward to the opportunity to finalize the transaction. This reflects Sound United’s unwavering focus to achieve its mission of bringing joy to the world through sound.”

The proposed transaction remains subject to ongoing discussions, confirmatory diligence, regulatory approvals, and other required consents. Sound United and Bowers & Wilkins will release further updates in relation to the status of the proposed transaction at the appropriate time.

Sound United is a portfolio company of Boston-based private equity firm Charlesbank Capital Partners, LLC.

UPDATE: Bowers and Wilkins has also issued a press release regarding this news.

Bowers & Wilkins, one of the most widely respected names in premium performance audio,
has begun early stage talks with Sound United LLC, parent company to Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, HEOS, Classé and Boston Acoustics to explore opportunities for the two businesses to combine.

“Discussions between Bowers & Wilkins and Sound United are at an early stage with a view to consolidating our premium brands into a new group offering even better consumer opportunities.

If our discussions are successful, combining Bowers & Wilkins’ engineering and manufacturing expertise in the premium category with the breadth of resources and capability of Sound United could certainly
be a transformative step for both brands. It would allow the Bowers & Wilkins team even greater opportunities to focus on what we do best – building the industry’s finest loudspeakers,” said
Geoff Edwards, CEO of Bowers & Wilkins.

Should the two brands decide to move forward, Sound United would acquire all worldwide third-party distribution and licensing agreements under which Bowers & Wilkins premium audio products are currently sold. This does not affect any of the existing Bowers & Wilkins product portfolio or any of the products Bowers & Wilkins currently distributes or current global operations.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 06-13-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-13-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 257 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10188 Post(s)
Liked: 7219
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Sound United LLC, parent company to Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology, HEOS, Classé, and Boston Acoustics
It should be noted they have killed off Boston Acoustics.

Geoff A. J., California
post #3 of 22 Old 06-13-2020, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1367 Post(s)
Liked: 4730
^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^

What happened to Boston Acoustics?

"In March 2017, Sound United LLC acquired D+M Holdings. As of October 17, 2018 Boston Acoustics products were still available on Amazon.com and other retail sites. As inventory depleted, Sound United, which is Polk Audio and Definitive Technology combined, basically let Boston Acoustics fade away." - Wikipedia

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-13-2020, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Like so many other companies that were bought out, I am wondering if now the quality of B & W will go down the drain. B & W was always considered a fairly high end line while Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology were always low and mid level lines. While they own Classe, you never really hear much from this line anymore...could this also be the end of B & W once inventory is depleted.?

Steve Douglas, McIntosh 8207 amp, Anthem AVM-60, Anthem MCA 50 amp, Aerial Acoustics 10T, CC3 center, 5s and SR3 dipole/bipole, 18"Velodyne Sub
Sony 85" 950G, 4 Paradigm Cinema 100 2.0 System and OPPO 203 Blu-ray deck
post #5 of 22 Old 06-13-2020, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
Like so many other companies that were bought out, I am wondering if now the quality of B & W will go down the drain. B & W was always considered a fairly high end line while Denon, Polk Audio, Marantz, Definitive Technology were always low and mid level lines. While they own Classe, you never really hear much from this line anymore...could this also be the end of B & W once inventory is depleted.?
Doesn't sound like it.

"Should the two brands decide to move forward, Sound United would acquire all worldwide third-party distribution and licensing agreements under which Bowers & Wilkins premium audio products are currently sold. This does not affect any of the existing Bowers & Wilkins product portfolio or any of the products Bowers & Wilkins currently distributes or current global operations."

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #6 of 22 Old 06-13-2020, 03:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Doesn't sound like it.

"Should the two brands decide to move forward, Sound United would acquire all worldwide third-party distribution and licensing agreements under which Bowers & Wilkins premium audio products are currently sold. This does not affect any of the existing Bowers & Wilkins product portfolio or any of the products Bowers & Wilkins currently distributes or current global operations."
They could be building a range of low-mid, mid-high, and high-ultra-high end in both electronics and speakers. Classe and B&W would fit into that high-ultra high end marketing slot.

Yup, I got stuff...
LG OLED65C7P, LG 55EG9100
Marantz SR6012, Classe Sigma Amp5, Oppo BDP-203
PSB Synchrony One mains, Synchrony two center and surrounds, 2x SVS SB12-NSD
XBox One X
post #7 of 22 Old 06-13-2020, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Bad news for consumers. These acquisitions and consolidation in the CE industry will mean less competition, more price collusion, less innovation, and lower quality.

I’ve never been impressed with B&W and despite owning several Sound United products, I’m even less inclined to buy B&W’s overpriced overhyped wares anytime soon.

Marantz SR7010; Onkyo TX-RZ1100; LG 65UJ7700; LG 55B7A; JVC DLA-RS440U; Panoview 92" screen; Definitive Technology BP-8060ST; Definitive Technology A60; Definitive Technology CS-9060; Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350; Definitive Technology SR-8040BP; Klipsch Reference RW-12D; Klipsch R-10SW; Belkin PF60; Oppo UDP-203; Toshiba HD-A3; PS3 60 GB; PS3 Slim; PS4 Pro; Xbox One X: Wii; Wii U 32 GB; Nintendo Switch
post #8 of 22 Old 06-13-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 2349
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post
Bad news for consumers. These acquisitions and consolidation in the CE industry will mean less competition, more price collusion, less innovation, and lower quality.
It could be worse--AudioQuest could of bought them out.

Seems SU is going against the big fish, Harmon backed by Samsung's deep pockets and global R&D. Now that Klippel has the speaker measuring robot that spits out pages of information when testing speakers, it is time to put up or shut up. SU needed B&W to go against Revel/JBL and now they have them, what will they do with them? Realistically, they need a brand name that some folks like or at least recognize as I've seen some B&W plastic speakers at the Apple store--at least they have their name out there.

Should be interesting, all sorts of big names got bought out McIntosh, Harman, Tannoy and Klipsch to name a few off the top of my head but to be expected. Audio hit it's sales peak back in 1990 so the past 30 years have been an errosion in the market at large. The biggest jumps in audio have been car audio/nav systems (#1 in profits) smart speakers (over 200 million sold last year) and of course, soundbars. Retail sales numbers fell 10% last year and 2020 is not looking so bright you could say. The pro sound/studio sound folks were doing OK last year with strong sales in Youtube/video blogging equipment. The only bright spot for home audio speaker sales was in China (shocker!) as they saw and increase in speaker sales while everywhere else it went down.

A market shrink of 10% in one year is not a good sign looking forward so it becomes a natural to combine to survive. I'm not a big fan of less and less companies but then again, I have no need for their products unless I need a new AVR or something. Realistically, the market will go to where the money is...China and India so I'd expect SU to be doing some changes to target that increasing market. Have no idea what China/India demands for audio speakers, I'd assume something more compact but for the high end they might want very large speakers. They could want "half-rack" or AVRs/amps etc. that is half the width of the 60 year standard 17" width--never know. If so, Class D could see a bright future as money pours in to make half rack a reality.

One of the problems of owning so many brands is overlap and the costs to keep the brand going. Harman has too many brands, I'd expect some of them to go away with a slow fade out (Infinity cough, cough) I remember Boston Acoustics being very popular in car audio some years back--probably not a good fit with Sound United and Def Tech? Adding B&W does expand their line to the much, much higher margin obtained with the furniture grade veneer crowd. SU has no professional sound brands, probably a good idea because that area demands more R&D and less marketing--a brutal battle on that side of the house. Now if Sound United purchases a professional sound brand--that would be news! I don't see it happening for some years, they are trying to become a powerhouse in consumer audio first--good idea! The big money is in car audio/nav systems so they could be gunning for B&W in cars or something in the future.

Personally, I'm watching Harman/Samsung--see what those deep pockets, massive R&D facilities and chip plants can generate. Most audio companies are assemblers, Samsung makes their own electronic components so can really roll out some crazy stuff if they like. This must scare Sound United, it would scare me! At least it will be interesting to see them face off in the market, better to have two larger companies to duke it out than one big one in consumer audio fighting a bunch of smaller companies. Sound United VS Harman/Samsung.... innovate or die? Then again, the Chinese brands are taking off and they are the exapnding market so who knows what the next 5 to 10 years hold. Topping might release a bunch of AVRs, amps and "smart" gizmos to throw the entire market into chaos. Huawei might buy out Sound United! My magic 8 ball keeps saying "try again" so don't get me to lying!

May you live in interesting times
JDEATON, edved1 and BrianNLS like this.
post #9 of 22 Old 06-13-2020, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R View Post

I’ve never been impressed with B&W and despite owning several Sound United products, I’m even less inclined to buy B&W’s overpriced overhyped wares anytime soon.
I have to respectfully disagree with you on Bowers and Wilkins...there have some phenomenal speakers in their product line up

I am curious to what Sound United products you have owned ...Classe?

Warren
OzHDHT likes this.

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #10 of 22 Old 06-14-2020, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree with you on Bowers and Wilkins...there have some phenomenal speakers in their product line up...
True. The brand was huge a few decades ago for discerning buyers with substantial pre and pro. I'll be interested to see if they will add a line and build efficient speakers for a segment of the market that to my knowledge they haven't paid much attention to. Please correct if I've misspoke about their recent history. Cheers.

post #11 of 22 Old 06-14-2020, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
True. The brand was huge a few decades ago for discerning buyers with substantial pre and pro. I'll be interested to see if they will add a line and build efficient speakers for a segment of the market that to my knowledge they haven't paid much attention to. Please correct if I've misspoke about their recent history. Cheers.
The speakers that were available decades ago have been improved with the newer models on their top end
They have also introduced models in the modestly priced market

Their line typically doesn't represent the best value at retail

How ever at a discount() they are phenomenal

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #12 of 22 Old 06-14-2020, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Worth noting that for a while Classe used to be owned by the B&W group, which is why you always saw both brands paired at dealers and shows. It was a popular combo with Classe being on a warmer side compensating for the ear piercing B&W Diamond tweeter.

Looks like Sound United want to go with a proved combo. Makes sense. Does suck from the audiophile consumer perspective to have less and less independent companies to choose from. But that's what happens when high-end audio market has been shrinking year after year.

Companies have to survive. Remember, Classe was in the process of liquidation when Sound United effectively resurrected them and treated them right - moving manufacturing from China to Japan and rehiring some of the design team in Canada. Now you can complain that for the new, made in Japan, Classe Delta line price went up even higher - but that's a different topic.
Fitero likes this.
post #13 of 22 Old 06-14-2020, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Hi avsBuddy,

While I typically don't comment on matters of perceived sound quality, I wouldn't say that modern Classe (anything built in the last decade) could be characterized as having a "warm sound" or really any sound. The early models from the 80s and 90s had a warmer or fuzzier sound, and as time went on the gear became increasingly neutral in character. That was by design and as the intent was for the electronics to step out of the way and let you hear what was on the recording with as little editorializing as technically possible.

Best regards,

Patrick
Bowers & Wilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Worth noting that for a while Classe used to be owned by the B&W group, which is why you always saw both brands paired at dealers and shows. It was a popular combo with Classe being on a warmer side compensating for the ear piercing B&W Diamond tweeter.

Looks like Sound United want to go with a proved combo. Makes sense. Does suck from the audiophile consumer perspective to have less and less independent companies to choose from. But that's what happens when high-end audio market has been shrinking year after year.

Companies have to survive. Remember, Classe was in the process of liquidation when Sound United effectively resurrected them and treated them right - moving manufacturing from China to Japan and rehiring some of the design team in Canada. Now you can complain that for the new, made in Japan, Classe Delta line price went up even higher - but that's a different topic.
edved1, 18Hurts, Steve544 and 1 others like this.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-14-2020, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As I get older I feel fortunate that I grew up in the Golden age of audio and Home Theater.

It was so much fun!

Still have my Boston Acoustic VR-40's, VR-12 and the VR bipole surrounds. (Can't remember the model number)

Love those speakers.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-14-2020, 10:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I too have never been a fan of B&W. They always sounded colored in the mid-range to me. When they came out with the CM line, they kinda fixed that, or unless you got into the $$$$$$.

I wonder if Rotel will be next.
post #16 of 22 Old 06-15-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hurts View Post
It could be worse--AudioQuest could of bought them out.
Why? AudioQuest provides high quality products at reasonable prices.

Among others, their Dragonfly USB DACs are some of the best price/performance values in high-end audio and their anti-static record brush is a near universal purchase among vinyl lovers, and it's hard to surpass the performance of Lyra phono cartridges, especially the Kleos, Etna and Atlas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
I too have never been a fan of B&W. They always sounded colored in the mid-range to me. When they came out with the CM line, they kinda fixed that, or unless you got into the $$$$$$.
I've never been a fan of the B&W house sound. Too clinical, not enough soundstage.

For the money I'd prefer Focal, and for the high end product, Laurence Dickie did incredible work taking the Nautilus concepts and massaging them at Vivid Audio.

Last edited by kucharsk; 06-15-2020 at 10:50 AM.
post #17 of 22 Old 06-16-2020, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 105
B&W Matrix 805

Had a pair of B&W Matrix 805 speakers in walnut. Some of the best speakers I ever owned. Wish I still owned them. Phenomenal mid range and tweeter.

Sony XBR77A9G | Panasonic UB820 | Sony UBP-X800 | Apple TV 4K | Yamaha CX-A5200 | Polk LSI | Axiom Audio M5HP | Emotiva C2 | SVS SB-13 Ultra | May the Lord be with You
post #18 of 22 Old 06-18-2020, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I think they're becoming too big for their own good! Glad the Onkyo/Integra thing fell through!
blackspider likes this.
post #19 of 22 Old 06-18-2020, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve544 View Post
They will most likely milk every last penny they can out of the brand reputation, but in the end consumers will start to realize that it's not the same quality, and it'll end up being like many legendary audio names had become once they were bought by Chinese companies.
Steve544 and llang269 like this.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-10-2020, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 138
https://www.channelnews.com.au/exclu...ved-to-be-off/

Not the most reliable source to be fair... but here's an article that talks about a potential change of buyer.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-11-2020, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I love Sound United and their products but they are dangerously close to becoming the Disney of AV equipment, and this is coming from someone who also loves Disney.
They are just buying up competing companies left and right and they may soon turn into a monopoly.
post #22 of 22 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra Spectre View Post
I love Sound United and their products but they are dangerously close to becoming the Disney of AV equipment, and this is coming from someone who also loves Disney.
They are just buying up competing companies left and right and they may soon turn into a monopoly.
Perception's not good, with or without dipping toes during pandemic shopping season.

Degree of autonomy, people leaving, new people, QC will tell more. Waiting game.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Latest Industry News

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page