It Has Finally Materialized! Here it is... - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 388 Old 03-19-2009, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
ld,

Thanks so much, you are very kind although I do not deserve it...

You are most definitely welcome to stop by, just let me know when!!

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 388 Old 04-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
dang dude nice setup! excellent amps....well hell, excellent everything!
post #63 of 388 Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey View Post

That's what I said! I just love his setup!

Hello Dan.

Man, I've been so busy for the last two weeks, I really haven't been able to engage the forum like I usually do. I'm still researching the different technologies for streaming music. Foobar is still in the running.
How have you been?

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 388 Old 04-07-2009, 08:20 PM

How do you like your Monitors and how would you best describe the sound in words? Thanks

post #65 of 388 Old 04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

you are most definitely welcome to stop by, just let me know when!!

... Party at dds' house!! Let's go!
post #66 of 388 Old 04-07-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey View Post

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post

Hello Dan.

Man, I've been so busy for the last two weeks, I really haven't been able to engage the forum like I usually do. I'm still researching the different technologies for streaming music. Foobar is still in the running.
How have you been?

Regards.

Hi ld,

Totally understand, sometimes I get so busy it's not even funny...
Yeah, take your time with making a decision on music streaming. You'll be happy with either choice. You can always use foobar either to complement your decision or just for fun. Research is part of this whole process, and I love it!! It takes me a lot of time to research something and usually I dig pretty deep... but when I'm finished I go "crap, now what?" and start on something else...

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmattack View Post

How do you like your Monitors and how would you best describe the sound in words? Thanks

Now why did you have to ask that? Just kidding plasmattack, I was afraid someone would eventually ask as I usually struggle trying to describe it... I am coming from a pair of Infinity Alpha 50's - plain excellent speakers with amazing bass capabilities. I am still sorry that I sold them...

The Monitors though are a few notches above. Not too well known, these are very accurate speakers IMO. I honestly do not have a single bad thing to say about them. I wish I had gotten the 60 model that adds more low end capabilities, but my sub compensates for that.

If I were to describe the sound, I'd say that the separation is what impresses me the most. This and the way you can actually place the singer and instruments on the stage, very wide and deep. Well defined sound, I re-discovered most of my music because of all the sounds that I had never heard before in my recordings. You can actually hear the fingers hitting the piano keys and fingernails scratching the guitar strings... One really satisfying thing is when people ask how many speakers I use to get that enveloping sound... Another thing that I like about them is voice reproduction. Mids and highs are accurate, defined and crystal clear...

Hope this helps a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

... Party at dds' house!! Let's go!

Darn right!! Tell you what, there's gonna be no shortage of adult beverages!! (Just posted in your thread, love the classy look of those Vienna's and your setup in general...)
post #67 of 388 Old 04-08-2009, 06:58 AM

Awesome, thanks man! I'll be checking them out when I have the funds ready . I've added them to my must hears.

I wish some of you guys lived closer so I could come audition your setups We should start our own community like they did in the movie The Village by Michael Knight Shumlaulgyhglurbhrugmmmm All AV all the time or you don't get in .

post #68 of 388 Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 AM

*Wipes drool* You built a nice HT experience! I'm learning from all you guys, thanks.
post #69 of 388 Old 05-11-2009, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Hey that sub looks familiar.

Nice setup, loving the Kuro.
post #70 of 388 Old 06-06-2009, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 532
post #71 of 388 Old 06-09-2009, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 948
Quote:

If I were to describe the sound, I'd say that the separation is what impresses me the most. This and the way you can actually place the singer and instruments on the stage, very wide and deep. Well defined sound, I re-discovered most of my music because of all the sounds that I had never heard before in my recordings. You can actually hear the fingers hitting the piano keys and fingernails scratching the guitar strings... One really satisfying thing is when people ask how many speakers I use to get that enveloping sound... Another thing that I like about them is voice reproduction. Mids and highs are accurate, defined and crystal clear...

I would say that is a pretty good description as I use the GS20's as fronts myself. You will love it when you get a matching center in there.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
post #72 of 388 Old 06-11-2009, 01:02 AM

wow that looks like a great place to kick back and have a drink.
and your right we do have the same art work!

Good job.
post #73 of 388 Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=ldgibson76;15620694]

Hello Dan.

How are you doing? You know I can't let your system just fade to the back of the WYSC section! Your setup is way too nice not to be recognized by the newbies!

Anything in the works for the system or better yet, have there been any changes made recently?

Regards.

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
post #74 of 388 Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ Thanks, ld...

No, unfortunately I haven't made any changes lately (other than a soft light behind the tv which by the way works great)... A couple of things came up, wife got hit by the recent layoff wave so now she's been looking for another gig. It'll pass, but I've also been contemplating relocation to another state. The room is what's been holding me back though...

I don't have a SACD player so I'm really close of getting that new Oppo universal player. This way I can move the Panny bluray to the living room, where our secondary system is.

Sound treatment is actually the number one thing I need to do - especially bass traps. I've been looking at GIK stuff... I also need a crossover, I've been eyeing the Rane SAC22...

And a matching center, I know - it's just that I wasn't sure about my fronts at first but I've grown to absolutely love them as they broke in. As 2 channel listening is way ahead on my priority list, I'm all right with the 5.1 sound for now. But I will definitely get a matching center...

I saw a really nice stand that I think might work well with my tv, so as you know this never really ends...

Talk to you soon!
post #75 of 388 Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3033 Post(s)
Liked: 1975
Quote:

I had someone weld them to my specs...

New pic with the music server by the sub...

I love this Pic that looks awesome. Well done ddgtr.

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #76 of 388 Old 07-20-2009, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Frank!!

Cheers!
post #77 of 388 Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Yeah I like the soft glow of the lights and the "just barely visible" glint of the equipment. Low lighting can make a system look so.....sexy. lol
post #78 of 388 Old 08-10-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just WOW.

I wish you lived closer to me. I'd be there in a heartbeat to listen to your killer 2 channel system. One of these days I plan on moving all of my LP albums to my hard drive and am really interested in the Foobar software you use. Does the software allow you to use it like a mixer? I was a DJ back in the day and I own over 100 long play 12" records of danceable rock and roll and typical dance songs from the 80s and that software might come in handy. These records were never scratched played so I bet a could get a pretty penny for them once they are transfered.

Anyway really nice system you have there.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #79 of 388 Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM

ddgtr,
The pictures look great but having been there, and having the pleasure of hearing music the way it was meant to be; well they just don't convey the true feeling you have in that room. The room is large, the ambiance is relaxing and elegant, and the "brown liquid" is plentiful. I want you to know I have spent over six hours in the past two days on this site reading, looking at systems, getting lost. You Sir are a Pusher because I am hooked! I will post my stuff when I have time to take a few shots.
P.H. out (aka U.M.)
post #80 of 388 Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Hippie View Post

ddgtr,
The pictures look great but having been there, and having the pleasure of hearing music the way it was meant to be; well they just don't convey the true feeling you have in that room. The room is large, the ambiance is relaxing and elegant, and the "brown liquid" is plentiful. I want you to know I have spent over six hours in the past two days on this site reading, looking at systems, getting lost. You Sir are a Pusher because I am hooked! I will post my stuff when I have time to take a few shots.
P.H. out (aka U.M.)

Hey Michael!!

We have had a taste or two of the brown stuff in there, haven't we? Glad you like this section of the forum and all right, I take full responsibility for your addiction...

I know you'll be posting your setup soon - and I know you'll get a lot of love here from all the Klipsch owners, not to mention the fact that your place is beautiful!

I'll see you soon!
post #81 of 388 Old 09-15-2009, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:

I know you'll be posting your setup soon - and I know you'll get a lot of love here from all the Klipsch owners

Yep, much luv for Klipsch.
post #82 of 388 Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So after what seemed a long long time, I finally got an active crossover. It's not the Rane, but the dbx223xl. I wanted the option of being able to return it if it didn't work out, and noone around carried the Rane so I got the dbx...

I've read as much as possible about any possible artifacts that might be introduced by an active crossover and at times I completely gave up the idea...
But y'all know that the bug keeps biting, right?

I brought it home over the weekend and literally had to take my cabling apart to insert it into the mix. No pics yet because it's hooked up temporarily in case it didn't work.

To my surprise, it worked flawlessly: no change in sound (to my ears), which I am grateful for as this is exactly what I wanted. And as an added bonus, my system is overall quieter in the sense that any trace of hum is entirely gone - it's like the dbx is acting like a buffer!!

I will take some pics once it takes its place in the rack. I also want to thank Aaron Gilbert for giving me excellent advice on the matter of crossovers.
post #83 of 388 Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hello Dan.

Congrats on the acquistion of the active crossover!
At first, I was wondering how you would benefit from it. But, you answered that....noise level! What do you feel was causing the low-level hiss/hum in your system?

I have the low-level hum only when I use the DLO Docking station with the iPOD. I contribute that to poor design by DLO, being that the power supply is right next to the analog stage. That's why I wanted to get the Apple TV. But that is not the end all either.

I look forward to seeing the new photos.

Regards.

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
post #84 of 388 Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hello Dan.

Congrats on the acquistion of the active crossover!
At first, I was wondering how you would benefit from it. But, you answered that....noise level! What do you feel was causing the low-level hiss/hum in your system?

I have the low-level hum only when I use the DLO Docking station with the iPOD. I contribute that to poor design by DLO, being that the power supply is right next to the analog stage. That's why I wanted to get the Apple TV. But that is not the end all either.

I look forward to seeing the new photos.

Regards.

ld, thanks!

Again, it was a pleasant surprise to get your pm. Not to mention that everyone here is happy you're back!

Yeah, my initial impression of the crossover was positive, despite the fact that I was expecting the worst. I know my post above was a bit unclear and confusing in that I was happy there was no change in sound. What I meant was nothing changed in terms of soundstage, placement of instruments and vocal reproduction which I so much tried to achieve given my current gear. Aaron helped me a lot, he suffered through a few pm's going back and forth between us...

I have been experimenting with it and it really does what it's supposed to: take some pressure off the mains in the low range allowing them to excel at mids and highs. Although the difference is not easily noticeable (as the Monitors are great speakers) I'd say they sound a bit fuller. Not a lot, but as you know, every bit of improvement in our hobby is a win.

As for the hum, oh well... I won't talk about what I've done to isolate it because it's too long a list but it had something to do with the sub and amp not getting along. I went so far as to load both the sub and the 120lb amp in my truck and drove over to Pass Labs where Mr. Nelson himself checked out the amp, ran measurements and all that right in front of me, in the lab. Amp checked out great.

The crossover must act as a buffer because my system is REALLY quiet now. It was quiet before but now it's to my likin'!!

I recently came across the 2L site and downloaded some classical music in 24 bit 96khz 2ch, 24 bit 192khz 2 ch and 24 bit 96khz in 6 channel FLAC files. Foobar2k played them as expected and it sounded great! I was amazed these files were encoded between 3000 and 6000 kbps this is insane especially when a regular FLAC starts at approx. 700 kbps and up.

I will post pics of the crossover in the next couple of days. It now sits on an empty beer carton because the cables to the amp were not long enough (thinking ahead for cable management purpses), and the carton was the perfect height. I will not insert it into it's final place just yet because a move might be in order. We'll see...

Dan
post #85 of 388 Old 11-20-2009, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Looking at the setup, it makes me wish a bit that I had kept my Sanus Euro A/V stand for my 11FD plasma. It would have been cheaper than what I ended up doing, which is buying a Hooker furniture cabinet for the TV. It's a great-looking piece and it's the same width of the TV, which is what I wanted, but in retrospect it would have been okay if the TV was wider than the stand (40"; the TV is 56"). The Hooker piece isn't designed with equipment like mine in mind. Your setup seems to balance that off nicely, since you have equipment arranged so it calls no undue attention to the fact.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
post #86 of 388 Old 11-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Good grief man. That's a nice audio setup.
post #87 of 388 Old 12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek
I'm glad your back where you belong here on AVS. That Pioneer Elite might just be the ticket for your system. It would be interesting how the Klipsch speakers would sound using the SC-27 as the processor. I have not had the opportunity to pair Klipsch speakers with a Pioneer setup.

Glad things are running smoother for you and your family. Maybe your wife is just enjoying your system more and wants to learn about it. She probably is showing off the system, when your not home, and wants to be able to describe the system better.

And to ddgtr

That, my friend, is one funny story.

Quote:

Can you imagine Dan getting caught dragging that beast thru the house! His wife would have issued him a serious beat down!

Regards.

Posted by Croseiv
Quote:

LOL! These are two very funny posts.

Refer to the "My Audio Video/Experience" thread, post#378. https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004179

Hey Dan, we have some guys cracking up about our adventures in A/V purchasing!

I couldn't help but to put the Pass Labs on Front Street so the world could see what cause your near beat down experience! But looking at it my friend, it would have been well worth it!

Regards,

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
post #88 of 388 Old 12-08-2009, 01:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6849 Post(s)
Liked: 15399
Awesome room, ddgtr. Yeah, I'm a little slow, I just came across your thread.

I'm a fan of the Pass Labs amp. Very nice. In fact, I say we raise a glass or two (four or five) of the "brown liquid" and crank it up!

post #89 of 388 Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Looking at the setup, it makes me wish a bit that I had kept my Sanus Euro A/V stand for my 11FD plasma. It would have been cheaper than what I ended up doing, which is buying a Hooker furniture cabinet for the TV. It's a great-looking piece and it's the same width of the TV, which is what I wanted, but in retrospect it would have been okay if the TV was wider than the stand (40"; the TV is 56"). The Hooker piece isn't designed with equipment like mine in mind. Your setup seems to balance that off nicely, since you have equipment arranged so it calls no undue attention to the fact.

Hi prepress,

Good to "see" you in this section of the forum!!

Yeah, it was pretty economical doing it this way, plus that with my gear, I almost had no other choice since the priority was the placement of the mains and making sure they had enough room to breathe, etc. This will change though, as a move might be in order.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxumized View Post

Good grief man. That's a nice audio setup.

Thank you, maxumized!
post #90 of 388 Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Posted by Croseiv

Refer to the "My Audio Video/Experience" thread, post#378. https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004179

Hey Dan, we have some guys cracking up about our adventures in A/V purchasing!

I couldn't help but to put the Pass Labs on Front Street so the world could see what cause your near beat down experience! But looking at it my friend, it would have been well worth it!

Regards,

ld, you know me well! For that thing, I would have gladly taken a lashing in a public square while still sporting a huge grin from one ear to the other!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Pioneer Elite Pro 151fd 60 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Tx Sr805 7 1 Channel Home Theater Receiver Silver , Polk Audio Owm5 Multi Purpose Home Theater Speaker White , Polk Audio Owm3 On Wall Speaker Pair White , Pioneer Bdp 51fd Bonusview Blu Ray Player , Harmony 880 Advanced Universal Remote

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page