Hometheatergeek's obsession - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 439 Old 12-24-2009, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
croseiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,640
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Merry Christmas HTG!

And Happy New Year!!!
croseiv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 439 Old 12-24-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Thanks gentlemen.

And I hope, we as a nation have a very Happy New Year. No more unemployment, low home prices and no more taxes (oops that ain't going to happen).

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #63 of 439 Old 12-24-2009, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ldgibson76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hello HTGeek.

Happy Holidays to you and the Family.
I hope the New year brings you much prosperity!

Regards,

Lawrence

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
ldgibson76 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 439 Old 12-31-2009, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 22,187
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3058 Post(s)
Liked: 2013
Happy New Year HTG

_________________________

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
Franin is offline  
post #65 of 439 Old 12-31-2009, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Waboman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Leaky Tiki
Posts: 16,559
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6876 Post(s)
Liked: 15467
Happy new year, HTG!!

__________________________________________________
Take life with a grain of salt... a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila
Waboman is online now  
post #66 of 439 Old 01-01-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ldgibson76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Happy New Years to you and the family.

Regards,

Lawrence

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur

Ldgibson76

Current Ensemble 
ldgibson76 is offline  
post #67 of 439 Old 01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ddgtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In A Government Yard In SacTown
Posts: 1,790
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
htg, best wishes for the New Year!!
ddgtr is offline  
post #68 of 439 Old 02-23-2010, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Here is a list of at least 70 of the more popular movies I have on lasersdisc. I might have a couple of other ones.

ABOVE THE LAW
ABYSS, THE
ALIENS
APOCALYPSE NOW
ARRIVAL, THE
BACKDRAFT
BETTLEJUICE
BOUND
BRAVEHEART
BROKEN ARROW
CARLITO’S WAY
CASPER
CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (SPECIAL EDITION)
CONTACT
CRIMSON TIDE
DEMOLITION MAN
DRACULA
EXECUTIVE DECSION
FANTASIA
FIFTH ELEMENT, THE (Also on BluRay)
FRIGHTENERS, THE
FUGITIVE, THE
GODZILLA
HAUNTING, THE
HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, THE
INDEPENDENCE DAY (ID4)
JUNGLE BOOK
JURASSIC PARK, THE LOST WORLD
LAWNMOWER MAN
LETHAL WEAPON 3
LONG KISS GOODNIGHT, THE
MASK
MEN IN BLACK
MICHAEL
MONEY TRAIN
ON DEADLY GROUND
OUTBREAK
POST MAN, THE
PREDATOR
PRIMAL FEAR
RANSOM
ROCKETEER, THE
SE7EN
SHADOW, THE
SPECIES
SPEED
STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT
STAR WARS TRILOGY SPECIAL EDITION
STARGATE (Also on BluRay)
STRANGE DAYS
TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY(Also on BluRay Skynet version)
THE ROCK
THELMA AND LOUISE
TOTAL RECALL
TOY STORY (also on DVD)
TRUE LIES
TWISTER
UNDER SIEGE
UNDER SIEGE 2-DARK TERRITORY
USUAL SUSPECTS, THE
WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT



Pink Floyd: Delicate Sound of Thunder
Pink Floyd: Pulse
Fleetwood Mac: The Dance

This list is probably showing my age but I have been enjoying this hobby since 1986. Wow 23 years now. Never realized that until just now.

No, it shows your tastes; think of it that way. I did a double-dip on the Star Wars movies and on First Contact, by the way, so I caved there.

On the HSUs: it was a blind buy, but does that mean not even research was done?

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #69 of 439 Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hello Prepress,

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.
I am afraid to ask but here goes: "What taste does my list show?"

And no to your other question. I did over 9 months of research before taking the plunge on the ULS-15s. When I say blind buy, I meant, I never heard them before.

I guess we can come up with a new saying and call it a

Deaf Buy.



Have you audition any other amp manufactures yet or are you still pining for the Mac?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #70 of 439 Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jnnt29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lower Delaware
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 140
HTG, your set up is truly impressive. I love the vintage Klipsch mains. What is the reason for keeping them in the mix? Do they sound so good still you couldn't see replacing them? Your wife's quilting brings a great look to the room. She's to be commended.

My set up: Samsung UN82nu8000 LED TV, Marantz SR7012, Emotiva XPA3, Sony UBP-X800
Roku 4k Premier, Panamax MR4000, 2 Marantz MA-500U, Klipsch RB81II (L/R),
RC62II (center), R-1650-W (surrounds), RB61II (Rear Surrounds),
Monoprice 6.5" in ceiling speaker (top front/rear), Two Klipsch R-10SW subwoofer
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show....php?t=1227096
jnnt29 is offline  
post #71 of 439 Old 02-24-2010, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hello Prepress,

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.
I am afraid to ask but here goes: "What taste does my list show?"

And no to your other question. I did over 9 months of research before taking the plunge on the ULS-15s. When I say blind buy, I meant, I never heard them before.

I guess we can come up with a new saying and call it a

Deaf Buy.



Have you audition any other amp manufactures yet or are you still pining for the Mac?

I had an audition of the 501 on President's Day. It wasn't an ideal setup, and it wasn't in a room, but I thought it sounded good. The CD player and speaker cable were the same as mine. It was a more liquid sound, the piano on one jazz track was smooth and easy. But that's a lot of money. I'd be willing to have another audition under better conditions. So far, I haven't found a place to audition anything else on my list, though Audio Advisor offers a 30-day guarantee, meaning I could do an in-home audition of the JC 1 and, if I don't mind the hassle of returning them, send them back if I don't like them. They also offer factory-refurbished amps at a good price. It could be that anything other than the MAc would be bought unheard.

Another factor is that there is now talk of layoffs at work, and though it doesn't appear my area will be affected, it may be unwise to buy any big-ticket items right now. But I can still do research and get auditions when I can.

As to your taste, I see mostly sci-fi and action movies. Arguably, "guy" stuff. The kind of choices associated with HT typically. You probably are not afraid to imagine. You like to enjoy the viewing experience, and movies like those you have are fun to watch (for you, at least).

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #72 of 439 Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I had an audition of the 501 on President's Day. It wasn't an ideal setup, and it wasn't in a room, but I thought it sounded good. The CD player and speaker cable were the same as mine. It was a more liquid sound, the piano on one jazz track was smooth and easy. But that's a lot of money. I'd be willing to have another audition under better conditions. So far, I haven't found a place to audition anything else on my list, though Audio Advisor offers a 30-day guarantee, meaning I could do an in-home audition of the JC 1 and, if I don't mind the hassle of returning them, send them back if I don't like them. They also offer factory-refurbished amps at a good price. It could be that anything other than the MAc would be bought unheard.

Another factor is that there is now talk of layoffs at work, and though it doesn't appear my area will be affected, it may be unwise to buy any big-ticket items right now. But I can still do research and get auditions when I can.

As to your taste, I see mostly sci-fi and action movies. Arguably, "guy" stuff. The kind of choices associated with HT typically. You probably are not afraid to imagine. You like to enjoy the viewing experience, and movies like those you have are fun to watch (for you, at least).

Yes you are right, it might be better to hold off on something like the 501 considering your situation right now.

As to my taste, believe it or not, the wife, back then when she was just my GF, bought most of those laserdiscs. Could be why I married her. She loves Action, Sci-fi and animation flicks. I can also have any HT gear I want as long as she sees no wires. Definitely a keeper eh?

If you check my Bluray collection, I am still buying the best movies I consider worthy of HT time.

Hope your situation changes and you can snag a Mac. And maybe I will win a lottery and can also snag one as well or I might just get an Arcam AVR600.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #73 of 439 Old 02-24-2010, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnnt29 View Post

HTG, your set up is truly impressive. I love the vintage Klipsch mains. What is the reason for keeping them in the mix? Do they sound so good still you couldn't see replacing them? Your wife's quilting brings a great look to the room. She's to be commended.


The reason is after 14 years of ownership and replacing my crossovers with theses:


They now sound better than when they were new.

I have listen to many other speakers, but I still like the way my sound for both music and movies. If it ain't broke why bother.

I see you are also holding on to some vintage speakers yourself. Oaktron aren't they? Never mind I'll go to your thread and take a look again tonight.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #74 of 439 Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Yes you are right, it might be better to hold off on something like the 501 considering your situation right now.

As to my taste, believe it or not, the wife, back then when she was just my GF, bought most of those laserdiscs. Could be why I married her. She loves Action, Sci-fi and animation flicks. I can also have any HT gear I want as long as she sees no wires. Definitely a keeper eh?

If you check my Bluray collection, I am still buying the best movies I consider worthy of HT time.

Hope your situation changes and you can snag a Mac. And maybe I will win a lottery and can also snag one as well or I might just get an Arcam AVR600.

Definitely a keeper. You probably have a lot more in common at a fundamental level than just taste in videos, too.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #75 of 439 Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Definitely a keeper. You probably have a lot more in common at a fundamental level than just taste in videos, too.

One other question, and sorry for my ignorance, but have you ever posted pics of your equipment? I can not seem to find any. No big thing but it is always nice to see fellow members systems. I think Waboman's setup is something I could own if I sell my house hehe.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #76 of 439 Old 02-24-2010, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

One other question, and sorry for my ignorance, but have you ever posted pics of your equipment? I can not seem to find any. No big thing but it is always nice to see fellow members systems. I think Waboman's setup is something I could own if I sell my house hehe.

No, I've never posted pictures. I haven't gotten the room organized and it's a bit sloppy. i have a DVD rack which I haven't put together yet (had it since May last year!), stuff's all over the place. It's an apartment, not a house, so space is limited, and I'm often tired coming home from work so it never gets picked/cleaned up right. I need to do that.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #77 of 439 Old 03-02-2010, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hey prepress

I found this seller on Audiogon. MAybe they have a trade in for the Mac you are looking for:

We are one of the largest McIntosh Platinum Premier dealers in the US and factory authorized McIntosh service. We are also a dealer for Mbl, Linn, Sonus Faber, Dali, Magnepan, JL Audio, REL, B&K, Esoteric, SME, Pro-Ject and Sim2 with a 6,000 sq ft showroom in Tempe, Arizona and second 6,000 sq ft showroom in Scottsdale, Arizona. We do not buy trade in equipment, but we do take 100s of high quality trade ins from new equipment customers every year. Trade ins are tested and serviced, if required. We generally have a good selection of McIntosh trade in equipment along with all current model McIntosh on display and in stock.

We accept all major credit cards, personal checks (shipping after they clear), postal money orders, bank checks, bank wires and Paypal eCheck. When using Paypal with eCheck, please add 2%.

L&M Home Entertainment Ltd
1231 West Warner Road, #101
Tempe, AZ 85284
480-961-0011
www.lmche.com
[email protected]

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #78 of 439 Old 03-03-2010, 03:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
This is interesting, I 'll take a look at the website. Unfortunately, the budget problems here in NY have led to the beginning of layoffs at work, and since I don't know what's going to happen I'm not going to be buying anything substantial for now (though I will still do research, just a bit more casually).

My VPI PLC has failed, so my VPI table is now plugged into the voltage regulator for my system. The current SDS, its replacement, goes for $1200 MSRP, and I'm going to wait a bit on even that. The SDS isn't an absolute necessity, but it does offer a level of convenience and control I like. If I make it through another month or so, I may go ahead on the SDS.

Thanks for the website info. I think any purchase of Mac ear not from a retailer showroom is not covered by the warranty, so I need to check that out as well, as to how they handle it.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #79 of 439 Old 06-16-2010, 09:58 PM
Senior Member
 
pgodden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting.. The velodyne running with the HSU duals! Maybe I should try to run my Energy 12in!

BTW the wall hanging is cool, it must have one effect on room acoustics, no?
pgodden is offline  
post #80 of 439 Old 06-17-2010, 02:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quick update:

I'm leaning toward Odyssey Stratos Extremes, if I decide to go for new amps. They have a stellar rep and run cool (important to me). The other idea is a refurb pair of JC 1s. MY B&Ks still work, so I'll wait until fall at least before making any decisions on a change.

My VPI PLC is working again, though I don't know how or why. I put it back in the system, and the SDS will wait.

By the way, how much of a difference is there in sound with the quilt vs. without? I'm curious. Anything you've noticed?

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #81 of 439 Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgodden View Post

Interesting.. The velodyne running with the HSU duals! Maybe I should try to run my Energy 12in!

That is an idea about the Energy sub. You could set it up to be a mid bass module. What you would do is use one of these and it would only feed anything above 50 Hz. You would set it nearfield by the couches to give you trhe kick in the chair effect.

Quote:


BTW the wall hanging is cool, it must have one effect on room acoustics, no?

Yes my wife did a very nice job on the quilt. The only real effect it has on the room is it helps deaden what is called "Slap echos". IOW it reduces echos in the room but has no effect on bass or other frequencies. It's like putting carpet in a room instead of hardwood floors.

How is you tweaking coming along? I hope that I was instrumental in assisting you, on the learning curve, of intergrating dual subs in your room.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #82 of 439 Old 06-17-2010, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

Quick update:

I'm leaning toward Odyssey Stratos Extremes, if I decide to go for new amps. They have a stellar rep and run cool (important to me). The other idea is a refurb pair of JC 1s. MY B&Ks still work, so I'll wait until fall at least before making any decisions on a change.

My VPI PLC is working again, though I don't know how or why. I put it back in the system, and the SDS will wait.

By the way, how much of a difference is there in sound with the quilt vs. without? I'm curious. Anything you've noticed?

Hey prepress,

I see that you still have that upgrade itch that needs scratching. Will a 150 watt aside amp be enough to drive your speakers? My Outlaw does 165 watt aside and you know my Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient.

That's funny that the VPI PLC is working again. You remind me of stories when I do PC support and I get a user with a complaint and when I finally get to the deskside they say "I don't know what happened but I think it fixed itself" Oh you mean you re-booted? lol

See my post above about the quilt. No real effect but sure looks don't you think?

If you are all interested I'm sure the wife can create some more for your walls.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #83 of 439 Old 06-18-2010, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hey prepress,

I see that you still have that upgrade itch that needs scratching. Will a 150 watt aside amp be enough to drive your speakers? My Outlaw does 165 watt aside and you know my Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient.

That's funny that the VPI PLC is working again. You remind me of stories when I do PC support and I get a user with a complaint and when I finally get to the deskside they say "I don't know what happened but I think it fixed itself" Oh you mean you re-booted? lol

See my post above about the quilt. No real effect but sure looks don't you think?

If you are all interested I'm sure the wife can create some more for your walls.

I asked about the quilt because I have some modest acoustic treatment for the wall behind my listening position and wondered what kind of theoretical difference it might make. I got it for decorative purposes as much as anything else. Thanks for the offer.

The upgrade itch isn't too bad, and I keep it at bay with its software portion (I just ordered a DVD, BD, and 2 CDs). Even there, I don't buy as many things as before and still want to see how the job situation plays out. The B&Ks are plenty to drive my Mirages; I suspect the Odysseys would be an improvement in sound quality, though how much is the question. According to B&K, their latest monos (Ref. 200.1) would offer cleaner sound (especially in the midrange) and deeper bass compared to mine, whereas the Stratos Extremes use some of the same parts as Parasound's JC 1. And we know those are good. So we'll see.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #84 of 439 Old 06-18-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I asked about the quilt because I have some modest acoustic treatment for the wall behind my listening position and wondered what kind of theoretical difference it might make. I got it for decorative purposes as much as anything else. Thanks for the offer.

The upgrade itch isn't too bad, and I keep it at bay with its software portion (I just ordered a DVD, BD, and 2 CDs). Even there, I don't buy as many things as before and still want to see how the job situation plays out. The B&Ks are plenty to drive my Mirages; I suspect the Odysseys would be an improvement in sound quality, though how much is the question. According to B&K, their latest monos (Ref. 200.1) would offer cleaner sound (especially in the midrange) and deeper bass compared to mine, whereas the Stratos Extremes use some of the same parts as Parasound's JC 1. Ans we know those are good. So we'll see.



Which DVD, BD and CDs did you order? On another note I have always been a fan of Parasound. So the Stratos Extremes should be in very good company. The B&Ks also sound promising. The deepper bass might be what you are looking for however. Let us know what you finally decide on. Glad to hear that some of the doubts in the work situation has eased some.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #85 of 439 Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bunga99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Al,

First off - Awesome set up!
It was great talking with you today. You were very helpful and courteous and I really appreciated it! Also love the fact that your wife is also an enabler/supporter of this hobby. It makes it so much more fun and enjoyable when they are right there with us enjoying movies and the gear

Thank you again and keep up the great job!
Claude
Bunga99 is offline  
post #86 of 439 Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Which DVD, BD and CDs did you order? On another note I have always been a fan of Parasound. So the Stratos Extremes should be in very good company. The B&Ks also sound promising. The deepper bass might be what you are looking for however. Let us know what you finally decide on. Glad to hear that some of the doubts in the work situation has eased some.

I ordered Takin' it to the Streets and Toulouse Street by the Doobie Brothers on CD (the price was just too good); on DVD, Queens of Country, a 3-disc set featuring Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton; and an animated movie, Batman: Under the Red Hood on BD, which is a pre-order. The first three items have shipped.

I like bi-amping, though the difference is subtle (with my current amps, anyway). Plus, if one amp or pair goes down I don't lose music. I'd never bi-amp with the Parasounds; I would with the regular Stratos and might with the Extremes. Klaus Bunge of Odyssey says that bi-amping would be overkill, but a great one. Plus, even two pair of standard Extremes would be less than the refurb JC 1s, something to consider.

By the way, what are the specs on those Klipsch speakers? I'm curious. And such a classic look. You look at them and know they sound good.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #87 of 439 Old 06-19-2010, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
The Doobie Brothers is an excellent choice. I only own one of their Greatest Hits CD but enjoy it immensely. No offense to you or others but any kind of country music will not be playing on my system any time soon. I listen to most any kind of music but I have no preference for country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

By the way, what are the specs on those Klipsch speakers? I'm curious. And such a classic look. You look at them and know they sound good.

This is from Klipsch's web site:

Quote:


FREQUENCY RESPONSE 32Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
POWER HANDLING 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY 99dB @ 1watt/1meter
MAX ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 119dB SPL
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY HF 7,000 Hz
LF 650 Hz
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 119dB SPL
TWEETER K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Exponential Horn
MIDRANGE K-61-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver
MID FREQUENCY HORN 90(o)x40(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
WOOFER K-25-K 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-15 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone passive
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass reflex via passive radiator
DIMENSIONS 35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.9cm) x 12.25" (31.1cm)
WEIGHT 67 lbs. (30.42kg)
FINISHES Walnut Oil, Oak Oil, Oak Clear, Finished Black
BUILT FROM 1989
BUILT UNTIL 1996

However I do not know how much the speakers now deviated from the original specs since updating the crossovers from Bob Crites and replacing the tweeter's Polymer diaphragm to a titanium diaphragm. But I really like how the new crossovers improved on Paul Klipsch's original design. The speakers are now not as in your face as most ppl perception of Klipsch speakers are. Plus adding the two Hsu ULS-15s to the total package has really made the Forte II come alive in my system.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #88 of 439 Old 06-19-2010, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Al,

First off - Awesome set up!
It was great talking with you today. You were very helpful and courteous and I really appreciated it! Also love the fact that your wife is also an enabler/supporter of this hobby. It makes it so much more fun and enjoyable when they are right there with us enjoying movies and the gear

Thank you again and keep up the great job!
Claude

Thanks Claude

Like I told you on the phone yesterday, whenever you and your wife swing by/through Hotlanta your more than welcome to come by.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
post #89 of 439 Old 06-19-2010, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
prepress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 3,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

The Doobie Brothers is an excellent choice. I only own one of their Greatest Hits CD but enjoy it immensely. No offense to you or others but any kind of country music will not be playing on my system any time soon. I listen to most any kind of music but I have no preference for country.



This is from Klipsch's web site:



However I do not know how much the speakers now deviated from the original specs since updating the crossovers from Bob Crites and replacing the tweeter's Polymer diaphragm to a titanium diaphragm. But I really like how the new crossovers improved on Paul Klipsch's original design. The speakers are now not as in your face as most ppl perception of Klipsch speakers are. Plus adding the two Hsu ULS-15s to the total package has really made the Forte II come alive in my system.

The Klipschs ooze classic. I could see those in a stereo, spinning vinyl all day, LP after LP, and having fun. Especially with classic 60's and 70's music. Like you, I'll listen to almost anything. And I found as my system grew, my tastes expanded. But whereas you don't do country, I don't do rap.

Sounds like the crossovers solved some problems. I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself listening to more music since the upgrades.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
prepress is offline  
post #90 of 439 Old 06-19-2010, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

The Klipschs ooze classic. I could see those in a stereo, spinning vinyl all day, LP after LP, and having fun. Especially with classic 60's and 70's music. Like you, I'll listen to almost anything. And I found as my system grew, my tastes expanded. But whereas you don't do country, I don't do rap.

Sounds like the crossovers solved some problems. I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself listening to more music since the upgrades.

Yes your are exactly right. All of my initial listening was from vinyl. Then alot of those records were long play 12" records from the 80s. From danceability rock and roll songs to typical dance songs from that era when I use to be a DJ at a bar in Ohio.

I have recently built a new Windows 7 Desktop PC and have slowly been building a library of Flac recordings of my collection. I will need to buy some sort of media extender in order to feed the main system but I am still reseaching all of my options on that compontent. My wife and I are also not big fans of rap music. However she tries to slip in some country when I am not home. Darn her. lol j/k

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
hometheatergeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Outlaw Audio , Velodyne , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off