Hometheatergeek's obsession - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 439 Old 06-20-2010, 03:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 98
That's something I'm not sure I'll get to anytime soon, a computer-based music system. I'm too conservative or simplicity-conscious to go there. I have iTunes on my Mac mini, but that's it; even that is for the purpose of burning compilation CDs primarily, not listening per se.

Be glad your wife plays her country music when you're not home. That says she respects your opinion of it. I hope you don't give her grief for playing it, though. But who knows, you may grow to tolerate it at least. Country, blues and R&B are closer than the average listener may realize, for example, and Emerson, Lake & Palmer were my bridge to classical music. You never know.

Back to the setup: aren't you concerned about heat, seeing as how the Comcast box sits on top of the Yamaha receiver? I know the back of the cabinet is open, but that's two heat generating components stacked, which usually isn't a good idea.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 439 Old 06-20-2010, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I had responded to that observation before about the stacked components. The Yamaha is not being taxed very much since I use the Outlaw Amp in the center cabinet to run the speakers.

We all know that most AVR's rated per channel output (140 watts on my Yamaha) are not capable with all channels driven. I do get 165 watts x 5 channels however out of the Outlaw amp. You would think the Forte IIs being so efficient would not really need the extra power but they do benefit from the true wattage from the Outlaw. I have checked before after a spirited listening session and the Yamaha is not generating very much heat.

But thanks for the concern. I might just go ahead and move the DVR to the right side cabinet and place it on top of the Bluray player. This way all of my video sources will be in the same cabinet. That would be .

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #93 of 439 Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

I had responded to that observation before about the stacked components. The Yamaha is not being taxed very much since I use the Outlaw Amp in the center cabinet to run the speakers.

We all know that most AVR's rated per channel output (140 watts on my Yamaha) are not capable with all channels driven. I do get 165 watts x 5 channels however out of the Outlaw amp. You would think the Forte IIs being so efficient would not really need the extra power but they do benefit from the true wattage from the Outlaw. I have checked before after a spirited listening session and the Yamaha is not generating very much heat.

But thanks for the concern. I might just go ahead and move the DVR to the right side cabinet and place it on top of the Bluray player. This way all of my video sources will be in the same cabinet. That would be .

I think you did address the stack issue, and I forgot. I was looking at the page 1 photos and posted, not remembering. But moving the DVR is probably a good idea anyway as it generates heat and perhaps could have an effect on the Yamaha long-term, regardless of the Yamaha's output. Heat concerns are why I don't put my cable box in the cabinet, even though it would have its own shelf. It would warm the overall environment inside the cabinet. I may experiment with it anyway, just to verify how warm it gets in there.

VPI, Grado, SME, Pioneer Elite, Magnum Dynalab, Day-Sequerra, Oppo, DVDO, McIntosh, Telefunken Black Diamond, Mirage, Kimber, Transparent, MIT, Pangea, Shunyata, PS Audio, Furman, Sanus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 439 Old 06-20-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post

I think you did address the stack issue, and I forgot. I was looking at the page 1 photos and posted, not remembering. But moving the DVR is probably a good idea anyway as it generates heat and perhaps could have an effect on the Yamaha long-term, regardless of the Yamaha's output. Heat concerns are why I don't put my cable box in the cabinet, even though it would have its own shelf. It would warm the overall environment inside the cabinet. I may experiment with it anyway, just to verify how warm it gets in there.

Yes you are right about the DVR that is posted in my pictures. I recently have upgraded to the new DCX3400 box which has the 250 GB drive in it and one of the other advantages besides a large HHD is it produces half the heat as the older models. I plan I updating my pics when I take a long weekend off around the 4th and show off my new placement of DVR, per your advice, plus other surprises to come.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #95 of 439 Old 07-13-2010, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's nice to be able to afford new equipment. I'm still pondering new amps this fall, but the not yet fully stable job situation has me cautious. Plus. being only 10 years from retirement is on my mind when I consider any major outlays. And my B&Ks work fine, so I can't say there's a problem there.

But, I still do a bit of research, and I know any new amps must run cool. The room's too small to have hot amps plus a plasma. Which brings me to a question. With such high-sensitivity speakers you don't need a ton of power, so the choices were wide open. How much or what type of research did you do before deciding on your Outlaw?

post #96 of 439 Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It's nice to be able to afford new equipment. I'm still pondering new amps this fall, but the not yet fully stable job situation has me cautious. Plus. being only 10 years from retirement is on my mind when I consider any major outlays. And my B&Ks work fine, so I can't say there's a problem there.

But, I still do a bit of research, and I know any new amps must run cool. The room's too small to have hot amps plus a plasma. Which brings me to a question. With such high-sensitivity speakers you don't need a ton of power, so the choices were wide open. How much or what type of research did you do before deciding on your Outlaw?

Yes Prepress, it would be nice to afford new equipment. But my upgrades will be in a holding pattern for awhile. I just had to buy my wife and I a new Gas range. After 17 years, the one that came with the house we had built back in 93, took a s%^t.

If you get the performance from the B&Ks that you desire then you should maybe rethink upgrading at this time. That would be against Waboman's assement but?

To answer your question, I have had my Outlaw amp for at least 10 years now (bought it when it was first introduced back in 99 or 00) and to be honest, I can not remember what it was in my research that made me decide to get the Outlaw. The only thing I do remember is when it was reviewed by one of the HT mags from back then that it was compared to amps costing upwards of $3,000 dollars and I was able to get it for $1,100. It really takes the strain off of any middle level AVR that can only produce 130 watts with only 2 channels driven. As you know most AVRs will drop really fast with all channels driven. Therefore it has the available headroom to run all channels driven at 165 watts in a 5.1 system. The Outlaw amp allows me to run my system with both LFE plus Main driven at the same time in order to take advantage of the 12" woofer and the 15" passive driver on the Forte II speakers. Therefore I really have 4 speakers (the Forte II and the two Velodynes) capable of producing excellent mid bass response while filling in the ULF response with the Dual Drive ULS-15 subs.

This was the best that I could do with the budget that I had. If money was no object then I would definitely have a system that rivals Waboman's or yours or others that post here on the WYSC thread.

But with that being said I also enjoy driving my Infiniti G35. I paid cash for it by buying less then top of the line equipment but still finding products that come close to top of the line performance. The Outlaw product line can do this.

I really do appreciate when you drop by a chat with me and hope that you have success in finding that perfect amp you seek. But if I were you I would stay away from Waboman (wink wink if you know what I mean)

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #97 of 439 Old 07-14-2010, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, the new range has scuttled your upgrades for now. Then, enjoy what you've got . This is what I'm trying to do. I like to encourage other folks in their pursuit, though a bit of reality may get thrown in now and then (there are more important things than HT, of course). So, bide your time and if the opportunity presents itself go for it, but maintain perspective. This range-caused delay gives you time to assess the intended upgrades more carefully.

My system is perhaps middle high-end, but it's not a dedicated HT as many have here, and the room isn't ideal. Mostly I think of it simply as my setup; I don't get much into comparing what others have to what I have. There are some really great-looking HTs on these threads, though.

post #98 of 439 Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

My system is perhaps middle high-end, but it's not a dedicated HT as many have here, and the room isn't ideal. Mostly I think of it simply as my setup; I don't get much into comparing what others have to what I have. There are some really great-looking HTs on these threads, though.

I would say that I'm not comparing. But I'd be lying if I didn't say, I wish there was a way to have a higher end system than what I presently own. I reread my post this morning and I can see how I could have written my response better then what I did.

So back to your research, my Outlaw actually runs quite cool. I would have to attribute that to the load that the Klipsch's present to the amp. They are not power hungry. BTW, what are the spec's on your speakers? Are they 4 ohms or 8 and what speaker efficiency rating are they?

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #99 of 439 Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I would say that I'm not comparing. But I'd be lying if I didn't say, I wish there was a way to have a higher end system than what I presently own. I reread my post this morning and I can see how I could have written my response better then what I did.

So back to your research, my Outlaw actually runs quite cool. I would have to attribute that to the load that the Klipsch's present to the amp. They are not power hungry. BTW, what are the spec's on your speakers? Are they 4 ohms or 8 and what speaker efficiency rating are they?

My speakers (Mirage M3-si) are 83 dB sensitivity, 6 ohm nominal/4 ohm minimum, recommended power 100-300 watts, frequency range 30 Hz-33 kHz. Since they use Mac 501s, I compared specs with Waboman's and KahunaCanuck's speakers to conclude that the Mac 501s would work with the Mirages. Whether I want to spend the money is another story.

post #100 of 439 Old 07-16-2010, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6870 Post(s)
Liked: 15445
Quote:

Yes Prepress, it would be nice to afford new equipment. But my upgrades will be in a holding pattern for awhile. I just had to buy my wife and I a new Gas range. After 17 years, the one that came with the house we had built back in 93, took a s%^t.

Hi HTG.

How's it going, amigo?

Sucks your range went out. Buying major appliances is never as fun as say buying a new power amp But ya gotta have a stove. Man needs to eat.

Quote:

If you get the performance from the B&Ks that you desire then you should maybe rethink upgrading at this time. That would be against Waboman's assement but?

Hey now, I've always had the 'presses best interest in mind. I once recommended him keeping the B&Ks too.

Quote:

This was the best that I could do with the budget that I had. If money was no object then I would definitely have a system that rivals Waboman's or yours or others that post here on the WYSC thread.

HTG, You have a wonderful system. Don't let anyone say differently. This isn't a competition. You did the research and bought what you needed to enjoy a quality HT with your family. That's what this crazy hobby is all about. And it's made even better by this group of enthusiasts on AVS and WYSC who share our same passion. Now if money was no object, I'd be typing this as I sip a pina colada from my beach front villa in Hawaii. Sadly, that just ain't in the cards.

Quote:

I really do appreciate when you drop by a chat with me and hope that you have success in finding that perfect amp you seek. But if I were you I would stay away from Waboman (wink wink if you know what I mean)

post #101 of 439 Old 07-16-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Hi HTG.

How's it going, amigo?

Sucks your range went out. Buying major appliances is never as fun as say buying a new power amp But ya gotta have a stove. Man needs to eat.

Hey now, I've always had the 'presses best interest in mind. I once recommended him keeping the B&Ks too.

HTG, You have a wonderful system. Don't let anyone say differently. This isn't a competition. You did the research and bought what you needed to enjoy a quality HT with your family. That's what this crazy hobby is all about. And it's made even better by this group of enthusiasts on AVS and WYSC who share our same passion. Now if money was no object, I'd be typing this as I sip a pina colada from my beach front villa in Hawaii. Sadly, that just ain't in the cards.

Thanks wabo but I still want you to get the urge to upgrade and sell me those Martin's super cheap. If you know what I mean

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #102 of 439 Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks wabo but I still want you to get the urge to upgrade and sell me those Martin's super cheap. If you know what I mean

Wabo will NEVER lose the urge to upgrade, no sir!!

BTW, that youtube video was funny!
post #103 of 439 Old 07-17-2010, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Dan how you been? I am really impress with the new X350.5 amplifier you bought. Now that you have it setup what differences are you hearing from the previous amp that you were using?

I also thought the video was funny and appropriate for posting. I put a search at Utube for "you know what i mean" and that was the first hit. And since I also do computers for a living I thought it was really funny since they play off of computer terms.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #104 of 439 Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

With my system, I have no complaints when using it as HT, but as a stereo it seems as if a bit more could be gotten from it, hence the amp upgrade idea. But it's on hold again because the work situation is a bit less stable again, as layoffs are back and two guys from the adjacent unit were laid off. We'll see what happens.

I thought about Outlaw briefly, but would prefer conventional monos to their class D ones (the 2200s). Plus I've not seen much in the way of reviews to provide information on them. Anyway, at this point I'm not going to do any more agressive research I don't think, just bide my time and see what comes up.

post #105 of 439 Old 07-22-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

With my system, I have no complaints when using it as HT, but as a stereo it seems as if a bit more could be gotten from it, hence the amp upgrade idea. But it's on hold again because the work situation is a bit less stable again, as layoffs are back and two guys from the adjacent unit were laid off. We'll see what happens.

I thought about Outlaw briefly, but would prefer conventional monos to their class D ones (the 2200s). Plus I've not seen much in the way of reviews to provide information on them. Anyway, at this point I'm not going to do any more agressive research I don't think, just bide my time and see what comes up.

That sucks about the job situation. According to the federal reserve chairman Ben Bernanke the "economic outlook 'remains unusually uncertain.'"
So alot of us are on the fence about buying stuff.

I would also prefer the monos but settled on the 770.Here is an older review of the 775 which came out just after I bought the 770.

Now when and if I get the winning numbers to the lottery....

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #106 of 439 Old 07-26-2010, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey Dan how you been? I am really impress with the new X350.5 amplifier you bought. Now that you have it setup what differences are you hearing from the previous amp that you were using?

I also thought the video was funny and appropriate for posting. I put a search at Utube for "you know what i mean" and that was the first hit. And since I also do computers for a living I thought it was really funny since they play off of computer terms.

HT, how you're doing!

Yeah, I did some listening before I got the 350, and without repeating any of that audiophile blabber talk I liked its blend of detail and smoothness... Had I been rich, I would have gotten the XA160.5 monos... I wrote a lenghtier post in my thread with some pics, too.

You mentioned you're in the computer field, are you in hardware or software? I've been trying to get some of my local computer guys to build me a quiet -er pc, the fans on mine are a bit distracting to say the least...

Later...
post #107 of 439 Old 07-27-2010, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

HT, how you're doing!

Yeah, I did some listening before I got the 350, and without repeating any of that audiophile blabber talk I liked its blend of detail and smoothness... Had I been rich, I would have gotten the XA160.5 monos... I wrote a lenghtier post in my thread with some pics, too.

You mentioned you're in the computer field, are you in hardware or software? I've been trying to get some of my local computer guys to build me a quiet -er pc, the fans on mine are a bit distracting to say the least...

Later...

Hey Bud, good too hear about your satisfaction with the new amp.

Yes I do do PC work for a living. Both hardware and software support. I just recently did a new PC build with Windows 7 Professional for my home. I did discover one trick that made my PC alot quieter. I had taken an older 80mm fan from my retired PC and put it in the new case and was very disappointed in the amount of noise it made. So I went and bought a 120mm fan. Hugh difference in the noise level.

So it could be as simple as buying a new case like this one and add a second 120mm fan that has variable speed with high CFM Air flow and a very low DB noise level like this one to the inside front of the case blowing in. Just move you present PC components into the new case.

I can not even tell that it is on when listening to music or general computing processes. It is slightly louder while watching a HD movie and the only time it gets loudest is when playing a video game and that is from the ATI 5770 video card's fan spinning up.

One of these days I'll post pics of the PC. I just need one of these:

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #108 of 439 Old 07-27-2010, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

HT,

Thanks for the info! I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind...

That fan it's a variable speed one. How do you set the correct speed? Also, I've noticed that the power supply on my pc is also loud, do you recommend one that runs a bit quieter too?

Thanks!
post #109 of 439 Old 07-27-2010, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That would depend on the motherboard and bios setting. The motherboard would need to have a 4 pin connector in addition to the one that the CPU plugs into and the Bios would also have to have a setting where you can select Performance or Optimal. Or some fans come with a thermal sensor wire which will adjust the speed accordingly. Most of the newer Power Supplies are alot quieter. Again the bigger the fan on the PS the quieter it will be. Then another consideration is the heat sink on the CPU. Again look at specs for both the PS and heat sink you are considering and find the one that has the highest air flow=CFM and the lowest noise level=db.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #110 of 439 Old 07-28-2010, 01:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That would depend on the motherboard and bios setting. The motherboard would need to have a 4 pin connector in addition to the one that the CPU plugs into and the Bios would also have to have a setting where you can select Performance or Optimal. Or some fans come with a thermal sensor wire which will adjust the speed accordingly. Most of the newer Power Supplies are alot quieter. Again the bigger the fan on the PS the quieter it will be. Then another consideration is the heat sink on the CPU. Again look at specs for both the PS and heat sink you are considering and find the one that has the highest air flow=CFM and the lowest noise level=db.

Great info, thanks HT!!
post #111 of 439 Old 09-02-2010, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm beginning to think about your suggestion (command?!!) to start my own thread, as I've acquired another piece of gear. There is now nothing else I desire to upgrade, nor do I have funds to do so. I'm replacing my old faithful Denon TU-800 tuner with a Magnum Dynalab MD90. I give up AM, but I think the MG is a step up. The issue with a thread will be finding time to take pictures and making the place presentable enough to do so.

But now, how is your system doing? Or better, how are you doing?

post #112 of 439 Old 09-02-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm beginning to think about your suggestion (command?!!) to start my own thread, as I've acquired another piece of gear. There is now nothing else I desire to upgrade, nor do I have funds to do so. I'm replacing my old faithful Denon TU-800 tuner with a Magnum Dynalab MD90. I give up AM, but I think the MG is a step up. The issue with a thread will be finding time to take pictures and making the place presentable enough to do so.

But now, how is your system doing? Or better, how are you doing?

Well buddy, I'm doing great. No present plans for my system though.

Good choice on the Magnum Dynalab. I just looked over the specs and once you have that installed you will be pulling signals from way down here in Georgia.

But stop putting off the inevitable, take some pics and pop them up on this forum. I will speak for everyone here on WYSC and tell you, we have been very patient and will continue to do so, until you finally get the chance to start that very anticipated thread. Good luck with the new FM tuner. Oh and thanks for dropping in for a spell.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #113 of 439 Old 09-14-2010, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Update: The needed pillars for my equipment racks shipped today. I should have them by the weekend. Then, assuming I'm diligent (and don't have to work this weekend, I've had to three in a row) I could be getting the new amps in a couple of weeks, or perhaps end of next week.

post #114 of 439 Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Update: The needed pillars for my equipment racks shipped today. I should have them by the weekend. Then, assuming I'm diligent (and don't have to work this weekend, I've had to three in a row) I could be getting the new amps in a couple of weeks, or perhaps end of next week.

Sweet. Remember to take pictures as you are setting everything up so you can share your joy with the rest of us.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #115 of 439 Old 09-17-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sweet. Remember to take pictures as you are setting everything up so you can share your joy with the rest of us.

I have my pillars! Actually they arrived yesterday, but I didn't realize it. There was a FedEx door tag with some writing I couldn't decipher. It's only today I tracked the tag number online, and it showed delivery yesterday. It then occurred to me to go downstairs and check the basement door of the apartment building. Lo and behold, someone had just brought the package in. Then, the writing on the tag made sense: it says "basement door." Whoa.

Next step is to dismantle everything, make the mods to my racks (humble Sanus Euros), and hope to have delivery of the amps next Friday or the following Monday.

post #116 of 439 Old 09-18-2010, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Prepress great news. But please hurry up. The Anticipation is killing me.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #117 of 439 Old 09-19-2010, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm actually taking some photos as I go, when I can, but a few came out bad and my schedule isn't allowing consistency. But I'm working on it.

post #118 of 439 Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

LOL, good one HT!! Nice vid!

Charles, I too am looking forward to seeing the pics. Highly anticipated. I'm sure it's going to look awesome, especially with the newest additions in place.
post #119 of 439 Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

HTG,

Maybe I've missed it, but who's the manufacturer of the cabinet your gear is in? I like the rich color it has. The color also fits in with the rest of the area.

post #120 of 439 Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

HTG,

Maybe I've missed it, but who's the manufacturer of the cabinet your gear is in? I like the rich color it has. The color also fits in with the rest of the area.

When I did my last upgrade to HD in 2006 the local HiFi Buys/Tweeter store had a dedicated room setup and inside that room under a wall mounted screen was this credenza that was gorgeous. It had three bays and was very deep. I liked that feature since both my LD player and older Sony DVD player were almost 22" deep. It was also wide enough to accept a 60" wide TV so I bought it. It is made by JSP-Industries. I do not think they make this model anymore. It was called the In'Ovation. IIRC it cost just as much as the Sony I bought to go with it. It was around $1700. Now I just need to find a good woodworker to re-veneer my Fortes and change them from the oil oak to a walnut version.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Outlaw Audio , Velodyne , Hsu Research Uls 15 Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page