My Dedicated Audiophile Home Theater - Steve Bruzonsky - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #211 of 228 Old 06-15-2018, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1665 Post(s)
Liked: 847
In past months I've added some Iso-Acoustics isolation footers under monoblocks and multi-channel amps, etc, which have clearly enhanced my sonics for both movies/tv and music! And Isoacoustics Gaia 2 speaker footers and carpet spikes (for 5 Aerial 7t speakers)

Also, just put in my master bedroom an Elac Discovery Z3 wifi/bluetooth stereo speaker/DAC up to 192-24/140 amps per speaker. Nice simply for some bedroom music and simple to connect as I use it ROON Ready over wi-fi!

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 08-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 228 Old 06-15-2018, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Also, as discussed in the Theta Digital thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky View Post
Actually - Only until very recently I had been using Dirac full range for both my front row filter (video/movies & tv) and back row (music/primarily 2 channel including using CBIVA DTS Neo X). Only recently playing with Dirac did I finally stumble on how to drag the right side down to 500 Hz or even less. I could never figure out how to do this before. But finally I stumbled and double clicked on a crossover dot on the slope recommended by Dirac, removed the dot, and all of a sudden I realized I could then drag in the right side!

In playing, watching, and listening, and in considering good info recently contributed here in this thread by various folks, for now I have decided on the following:

1. Front row (video) filter: Full range Dirac. Using 80 Hz XOvers for all speakers except 100 Hz Xovers for top 4 in ceiling speakers. I've experimented with lower XOvers but my opinion is that on video/movies I am not losing anything, my system remains most musical, but I gain even greater dynamics on mid/low bass for video/movies thanks to my two JL Audio f212 subwoofers (each sub with two 12" woofers). My listening impression bears out Mark Seaton's and Jeff's (Stereojeff) advise about using Dirac full range for best blending of multi-channel speakers (even though I have matching main five vectors with five Aerial 7ts, five Theta Prometheus monoblocks, and then four KEF THX in ceiling speakers with a ATI Class D multi-channel amp). Using Dirac full range gives me best sonics and smooth sonics, in that I can listen to especially movies at whatever volume I like yet get the full sonics and impact of the movie - I felt that this was true but to a somewhat lesser extent limiting Dirac to 500 Hz.

2. Back Row (music) filter: Dirac applies to 500 Hz for all channels, except full range Dirac applies to top 4 in ceiling speakers. As I find myself listening more and more to non-vocal jazz & classical, etc not just 2 channel (Direct mode) but expanding to all channels using DTS Neo X. However, I have the center channel off when I expand to all channels, because this leaves the front left and right channels/speakers sounding so very same as they do for straight direct two channel, and simply adds what I perceive as added natural ambience and at times some added slight dynamics, more like an excellent sonically conert venue like the Phoenix Musical Instrument Museum, Mesa Arts Center or the Phoenix jazz club The Nash! RIght now I am listening to "jungle boldie" (Turtle Records) (www.nativeDSD.com) (avg dynamic range 14) in DTS Neo X at avg 90 dB+ with peaks to 95 and 100 dB. Saxophone, bass and percussion and I almost feel like its live at The Nash. It was excellent the other week using Dirac full range on all speakers, but now even quite a bit more real and live!

Why the different use of Dirac, and my differing sonic impression, with video/movies vs music? I think this goes back to what Mark and Jeff posted here. With video, you have more going on in all channels and blending/sonic matching of all speakers is so important. But with music, I am playing stereo (32Tb server, to Sonic Transporter i5 Roon core, to Sonore Signature Rendu SE, USB to Berkley Audio Alpha USB to digital AES/EBU converter, then digital AES/EBU to CBIVA SSP), and other channels are derive from the two channel primarily for ambience.

Theater Renovation: 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts & 6 7LCRs; 13 Triad Rotating Silver/9 Sat; 9 Seaton 21" sealed subwoofers; Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP; 3 Theta Digital Prometheus, Trinnov Amplitude 8 & 8M, and ATI AT526NC amplifiers; Sony VW5000 projector; Lumagen Radiance Pro; Panamorph DCR lens; Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 14' wide 2.40 SnoMatte 100 screen; Kaleidescape & Pioneer UDP-LX500 4k players; Apple TV 4k; TIVO Bolt OTA.
post #213 of 228 Old 08-20-2018, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Last week I upgraded from my Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i5 to the Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON DSP. The big advantage is doing so is the i7 has two bridged ethernet connections. Whereas the i5 has one ethernet connection to the ethernet network switch only; the i7 connects both to the ethernet network switch and direct via ethernet to the Sonore Signature Rendu SE (ROON endpoint, with the i7 as the ROON core). Theory being direct ethernet connection of ROON Core to ROON endpoint sounds better. And it does!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 228 Old 12-11-2018, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Recently I've added to my theatre an Apple 4k TV and a TIVO Bolt OTA!

post #215 of 228 Old 02-04-2019, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

In the past few months I've added to my theatre an Apple 4k TV and a TIVO Bolt OTA! I really like the Apple 4k TV and am no longer using the Roku! The Apple TV 4k has a setting for native HDR vs no HDR; also for native refresh rate. Also, if the program is HD, I can go in settings and output 1080p and let my projector do the upscaling to 4k, as my Sony VW-5000ES projector's Reality Creation does a better job than any streaming box! The TIVO Bolt OTA, hooked up to my pre-existing outdoor antenna, on local channels gives a better picture than over my DirecTV, and the TIVO can record 4 channels at once as well.

I also just added a Furman Elite 20-PFi power conditioner for my projector only. I have had a long in wall power cord to my ceiling mounted Sony VW5000ES projector plugged into a Furman Elite-15 DMi power conditioner for over a year. Recently, I added (got a great price) a Furman Elite 20-PFi power conditioner and plugged the projector into that, and I use the other Furman 15 for some miscellaneous items that are not plugged into my two PS Audio P5 power regenerators (note - all amps plugged straight into wall in dedicated circuits). Note the Furman 20 is 20 amp capacity, but works fine over my dedicated 15 amp circuit its plugged into because the draw is not more than 15 amps. Something happened that I could not and did not expect, especially since my educated guess is that the primary difference between these 2 Furman power conditioners is the 20's ability to handle a 20 amp circuit! But with the Furman 20 the picture is noticeably better, brighter, clearer, seemingly better black level, detail, on every source! WEIRD but nice. I have found I get the best or at least most pleasing HD picture simply having the Radiance Pro output 720p/1080p and letting the projector using Reality Creation do the upscaling to 4k. However, using the Furman 20, on HD sources, I find that setting Reality Creation at 25 gives me the best picture, whereas with the Furman 15 I would vary Reality Creation usually from 35 to sometimes as high as 65. My picture has always been very nice. But this has been a nice surprise! Am I crazy or what?

Also, I just got a DJM Electronics Gigafoil v4 fiber media converter (with its own "wall wart" linear power supply) (just came out). Inserted between the ethernet connection from Sonic Transporter i7 Roon core to Sonore Signature SE (for 2 channel music). Instead of using the supplies wall wart 5vdc linear power supply, I am using one of my HDPlex 100 watt linear power supplies, the 5 vdc output, to power it. The fiber/optical conversion is very clean sounding and clearly improves sonics some with no negatives!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 02-14-2019 at 09:28 AM.
post #216 of 228 Old 03-12-2019, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

OMG! Been with Theta Digital for DACs since 1995, when I bought a Generation VA DAC. 1997 Casablanca SSP, over the years upgraded to a current CBIV-A SSP with the very best SSP DACs available, the D3 DACs. Also own the first 5 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks out of the factory in early 2014 which are still going strong.

But I have now changed my SSP to Trinnov Altitude 32 8-16 SSP (16 channels)! After all these years! The advanced room correction/optimization, software/firmware upgradability by downloads/uploads, 3D speaker remapping, etc. are just killers soundwise! Also its ROON Ready ethernet sonics for both 2 channel and multi-channel are outstanding. I will be selling my modded CAPSv3 (Computer Audiophile Forum recommended build) which I used for multi-channel via HDMI as no longer need it as ROON Ready sounds even better for multi-channel. I may be keeping my just upgraded Sonore Signature Rendu SE 2 channel ROON endpoint USB out (into Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter, digital into SSP), which is now upgraded for optical/fiber System Optique, by Sonore, as I need to demo and it may sound even better than the ROON Ready Ethernet for 2 channel (hard to believe, but possible)! I am using my recent DJM Electronics Gigafoil v4 optical/media converter on the ethernet into my Trinnov Altitude 32 so that ROON Ready via ethernet sounds even better!

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 03-12-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #217 of 228 Old 03-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
OMG! Been with Theta Digital for DACs since 1995, when I bought a Generation VA DAC. 1997 Casablanca SSP, over the years upgraded to a current CBIV-A SSP with the very best SSP DACs available, the D3 DACs. Also own the first 5 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks out of the factory in early 2014 which are still going strong.

But I have now changed my SSP to Trinnov Altitude 32 8-16 SSP (16 channels)! After all these years! The advanced room correction/optimization, software/firmware upgradability by downloads/uploads, 3D speaker remapping, etc. are just killers soundwise! Also its ROON Ready ethernet sonics for both 2 channel and multi-channel are outstanding. I will be selling my modded CAPSv3 (Computer Audiophile Forum recommended build) which I used for multi-channel via HDMI as no longer need it as ROON Ready sounds even better for multi-channel. I may be keeping my just upgraded Sonore Signature Rendu SE 2 channel ROON endpoint USB out (into Berkeley Audio USB to digital converter, digital into SSP), which is now upgraded for optical/fiber System Optique, by Sonore, as I need to demo and it may sound even better than the ROON Ready Ethernet for 2 channel (hard to believe, but possible)! I am using my recent DJM Electronics Gigafoil v4 optical/media converter on the ethernet into my Trinnov Altitude 32 so that ROON Ready via ethernet sounds even better!
I love to see the upgrades you've made over the last 10 years. I'm sure it sounds and looks incredible, my friend. Hope you're doing well!
post #218 of 228 Old 03-18-2019, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunPressley View Post
I love to see the upgrades you've made over the last 10 years. I'm sure it sounds and looks incredible, my friend. Hope you're doing well!
Thanks Shaun. If you are again in the Phoenix area, stop [email protected]@@

post #219 of 228 Old 03-18-2019, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Shaun. If you are again in the Phoenix area, stop [email protected]@@
Yessir! I'll let you know when I'm headed back to Phoenix. Would love to experience your theater again, in person!
post #220 of 228 Old 04-08-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Major audio renovation underway and will be completed hopefully within the next two months!

End result will be a 9.4.8 audio system! With recently acquired Trinnov Altitude 32-1624 (24 channels) SSP (just added 8 channels so total 24 channels); speakers 3 Aerial Acoustics 7ts, 6 Aerial Acoustics 7LCRs on wall for front wide surrounds, side surrounds and rear surrounds; 8
Triad Inceiling Rotating Silver/Sat 9 (In ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/Auro-3D); 2 JL Audio Fathom f212 subwoofers (each subwoofer has two 12” woofers); 2 Paradigm Persona subwoofers (each subwoofer has six 8” woofers); 3 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblock amplifiers (for 3 Aerial 7t speakers up front); Trinnov Amplitude 8 (same NCore 1200 modules as in Prometheus monoblocks) (for Aerial 7LCR on wall speakers used for surround front wide, side surround, and rear surround, all on wall speakers); Trinnov Amplitude 8m (NCore 500 modules) (for inceiling speakers – 8 Triad Inceiling Rotating Silver/9 Sat) (Trinnov amplifiers connect to Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP via DB25 cables – no more bulky XLR balanced interconnects!).

Out (being sold) are:

Sonore Signature Rendu SE with System Optique (optical/media) upgrade, with Synergistic Research black fuse
Berkley Audio Alpha USB Converter
(I am using Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP which is ROON Ready over ethernet thus no need for above two components and ROON Ready sounds just as good if not better)

ATI 526NT multi-channel amplifier (for 4 KEF in eeiling speakers)

4 KEF Ci2000rr-THX in ceiling speakers

Surround pair of Aerial 7ts (already sold) and pair of Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 04-08-2019 at 09:34 PM.
post #221 of 228 Old 04-26-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Just updated first post for the components and theater renovation to hopefully be completed sometime this June!

post #222 of 228 Old 05-15-2019, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Help choosing CAPS music server?

Steve -

Can you help me with a purchasing choice based upon your experience? Since 2014, I've been using a Small Green Computer micro-Zuma CAPS v.3 with a SOtM USB out for my two-channel audiophile system, but the micro-Zuma motherboard had died. Until then, all was happy. My choice is repair or replace.

Here's my system. I don't care about multi-channel audio for movies!
ascent-design.com/audio/
You may notice that I have a top-notch MSB "Analog DAC". It does femto re-clocking, R2R output and a buffered volume control to replace a preamp. Only have to turn off the re-clocking goodness when streaming movies because of the sync delay. No biggie.

I already sent the micro-Zuma in to Andrew at Small Green Computer. He can rebuild it, although with a newer motherboard and processor type, but keeping the SOtm USB PCi card.

Andrew suggests upgrading to the Sonic Transporter i7 and prefers Linux for lower temperal latency, but I'm hesitant and here's why:

- I'm not a computer hack and want to keep it simple. My life is already overloaded.

- the old one served me fine. The MSB Analog DAC comes with test files to test for bit-perfect, and the v3 CAPS always passed. One school of thought might be that passing perfect is as good as it gets!

- I use JRiver because I have thousands of DSD DFF files (Roon can't play those), and don't have the time or inclination to try to convert them to something Roon can use. The SonicTransporter i7 embedded Linux can't run JRiver, because the the Linux version that JRiver needs must be the "desktop" version.

- plenty of audio folks prefer JRiver over Roon. I could try in the future, but don't want to be forced into one.

- I have 13TB of hi-rez audio files on my NAS. My NAS is located in my home office one floor below the stereo living room. For the TV and CAPS, I've run two ethernet cables, which go outside the wall, up into the attic and drop down the living room wall to a wall plate. Do I need two ethernet cables for SonicTransporter i7 plus the UltraRendu? If I need another ethernet cable run, then I'll puke and just stay with the rebuilt CAPS.

If I get the CAPS v3 rebuilt (making it maybe v4+?) then don't I have the choice to use both JRiver and Roon? And maybe I could make it dual-boot, adding Linux in addition to Win10 as a second OS. Maybe then Linux will give those lower-latency results on the rebuilt CAPS that Andrew talks about. But given my DAC does re-clocking, doesn't that resolve any PC latency (time-goofiness) issues?

I think you can see that I'm preferring to rebuild the Zuma and live with less changes.

Thanks! - Ralph
post #223 of 228 Old 05-15-2019, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpheburns View Post
Steve -

Can you help me with a purchasing choice based upon your experience? Since 2014, I've been using a Small Green Computer micro-Zuma CAPS v.3 with a SOtM USB out for my two-channel audiophile system, but the micro-Zuma motherboard had died. Until then, all was happy. My choice is repair or replace.

Here's my system. I don't care about multi-channel audio for movies!
ascent-design.com/audio/
You may notice that I have a top-notch MSB "Analog DAC". It does femto re-clocking, R2R output and a buffered volume control to replace a preamp. Only have to turn off the re-clocking goodness when streaming movies because of the sync delay. No biggie.

I already sent the micro-Zuma in to Andrew at Small Green Computer. He can rebuild it, although with a newer motherboard and processor type, but keeping the SOtm USB PCi card.

Andrew suggests upgrading to the Sonic Transporter i7 and prefers Linux for lower temperal latency, but I'm hesitant and here's why:

- I'm not a computer hack and want to keep it simple. My life is already overloaded.

- the old one served me fine. The MSB Analog DAC comes with test files to test for bit-perfect, and the v3 CAPS always passed. One school of thought might be that passing perfect is as good as it gets!

- I use JRiver because I have thousands of DSD DFF files (Roon can't play those), and don't have the time or inclination to try to convert them to something Roon can use. The SonicTransporter i7 embedded Linux can't run JRiver, because the the Linux version that JRiver needs must be the "desktop" version.

- plenty of audio folks prefer JRiver over Roon. I could try in the future, but don't want to be forced into one.

- I have 13TB of hi-rez audio files on my NAS. My NAS is located in my home office one floor below the stereo living room. For the TV and CAPS, I've run two ethernet cables, which go outside the wall, up into the attic and drop down the living room wall to a wall plate. Do I need two ethernet cables for SonicTransporter i7 plus the UltraRendu? If I need another ethernet cable run, then I'll puke and just stay with the rebuilt CAPS.

If I get the CAPS v3 rebuilt (making it maybe v4+?) then don't I have the choice to use both JRiver and Roon? And maybe I could make it dual-boot, adding Linux in addition to Win10 as a second OS. Maybe then Linux will give those lower-latency results on the rebuilt CAPS that Andrew talks about. But given my DAC does re-clocking, doesn't that resolve any PC latency (time-goofiness) issues?

I think you can see that I'm preferring to rebuild the Zuma and live with less changes.

Thanks! - Ralph

Ralph,

You have a great two channel system. Don't get the CAPsV3 repaired, get something more state of the art for your system.

Keep in mind my audio/theatre system, until recently, has been based on a Theta Casablanca IVA SSP, processing at 96-24. So I used JRiver, then moved to ROON about 3.5 years ago, and as necessary downsampled to 96/88-24. Used a Berkeley Audio Alpha USB to AES/EBU converter. And for my USB player, I have moved since 2011 as follows: Bryston BDP-1 (coaxial digital out, not USB); modded CAPSv3 Zuma (both USB for 2 channel and AMD Sapphire HDMI out for multi-channel);
CAPSv4 (USB for 2 channel); then ROON software upgrade permitted using separate ROON Core and ROON Bridge/Ready devices, so while I continued using CAPSv3 for multi-channel HDMI, I also used CAPSv3 as ROON Core with CAPSv4 as ROON Bridge/Ready output; Sonore Microrendu with external Sonore Signature Power Supply (USB for 2 channel); Sonore Signature Rendu SE (with even better power supply built in); and more recently, upgraded Sonore Signature Rendu SE with SystemOptique (optical/fiber conversion/isolation). Each step of the way I noticed improved sonics. And I like ROON way more than JRiver MC. True ROON will not play ISO files. I actually used JRiver MC to convert all of my ripped ISOs (about 800) to DSF files playable by ROON. Its easy to do in JRiver. Not all that time consuming at all. And ROON is so much better as far as I am concerned! And when ROON updated their software to allow the processing in the ROON Core device, and the "playing" USB out in the ROON Bridge/Ready device, the sonics improved remarkably!

However, I recently after years and years (since 1997) changed from Theta Casablanca platform SSP (still not ROON Ready) to Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP (ROON Ready). I have found in my current SSP setup that ROON Ready via ethernet sounds about the same as the Sonore Signature Rendu SE with SystemOptique upgrade/Berkeley Alpha USB digital converter combo.

If you ask me, with your excellent stereo system, you should do the following, if its affordable:

1. Sonic Transporter i5 or i7. If you have ISO files that are higher than DSD, the i7 might be more likely to process without any hiccups. Andrew at Small Green Computer can tell you for sure. Advantage of the i7 also is that it has 2 ethernet ports - connect one to your network switcher, one to your USB player (this is what I did with the Sonore Signature Rendu SE, now I do this by connecting one ethernet port if the i7 direct to my Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP). This will be your ROON Core device.

2. Go for the best. Sonore Signature Rendu SE SystemOptique upgrade, whether you buy new, or buy my used before its gone (Sonore is extending my original owner upgrade warranty as well). This will be your ROON Ready USB two channel out device. (If you want to buy my used unit, AVS Private Message me with your phone and email)

3. Use JRiver MC to scan your ISO files and convert, in the same file folders, to DSF files, playable by ROON. Kal Robinson of Stereophile fame did this several years ago, on my advise, and is very pleased as well.

I want to add that my theatre system, although sounds great, has essentially been limited to 96-24 (although with Trinnov SSP I can play to 192-24, I use Auro 3D expanding two channel to use all my speakers and Auro 3D only works up to 96-24). Your MSB DAC I assume processes at DSD or higher. The Sonore Signature Rendu with SystemOptique upgrade should really shine for you!

"I have 13TB of hi-rez audio files on my NAS. My NAS is located in my home office one floor below the stereo living room. For the TV and CAPS, I've run two ethernet cables, which go outside the wall, up into the attic and drop down the living room wall to a wall plate. Do I need two ethernet cables for SonicTransporter i7 plus the UltraRendu? If I need another ethernet cable run, then I'll puke and just stay with the rebuilt CAPS." No, will work fine if just connect i7 to network switcher." But you don't need to drop another long ethernet line. You simply place the i7 within a meter of the
Ultrarendu (or as I recommend, Sonore Signature Rendu SE with SystemOptique upgrade) and connect ethernet from i7 to Rendu.

"If I get the CAPS v3 rebuilt (making it maybe v4+?) then don't I have the choice to use both JRiver and Roon? And maybe I could make it dual-boot, adding Linux in addition to Win10 as a second OS. Maybe then Linux will give those lower-latency results on the rebuilt CAPS that Andrew talks about. But given my DAC does re-clocking, doesn't that resolve any PC latency (time-goofiness) issues?" I used JRiver and then ROON with my CAPSv3, so yes this can be done.

Seriously Andrew Gillis at Small Green Computer did the software for the Sonic Transporters and Sonore, I have talked with him extensively, he is honest and knows his stuff.

Last edited by Steve Bruzonsky; 05-15-2019 at 11:50 PM.
post #224 of 228 Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 AM

Ok Steve, I'm listening. You kinda get that I just want it to work without burning too many brain cells?

I'm wondering if people hear sonic differences between devices due to resampling. The whole point of my MSB Analog DAC was that it takes native data up to 32-bit / 384 kHz / 256x DSD with no resampling... the notion that resamping is evil. Maybe all good DACs do it that way these days.

So SonicTransporter i5 or i7. The i7 uses the same chassis as my micro-Zuma, so maybe there's a re-use opportunity.
Then would I want to add the ultraRendu for cheap or the opticalRendu for bucks.

The i7 has an ethernet pass-thru to save me running another long cable. My network switch and NAS are in the home office, a long, long ways from the listing room. Or have to steal the ethernet cable from the TV and use wifi for the TV. I use Toslink from the TV to the DAC, for streaming audio from online sources like Amazon (low-fi is usually good enough for my movie tastes).

I loose the browser functionality of the CAPS v3. I.e. If I wanted to stream a movie from PBS website or watch the debates from some web stream, then what? Do I haul a laptop up there and connect to the Sony 4K via HDMI? Or do I figure out how to get browser function out of a TV app? Seems so clunky either way.

Convert those the DFF ISO files using JRiver on another computer. Honestly, I hardly play those (about 6,000 hi-rez albums), and most of my listening is maybe 500 Redbook CDs ripped by EAC. My musical tastes are folk, small-time artists from whom I buy CD's direct and African. I wonder if Tidal even services those. Rock & roll bores me, ha!

One other other consideration is that I use old, old Squeezeboxes around the house.... a Squeezebox Touch into a stereo in my home office (WFH), and two Squeezebox Booms in the two shop areas. I only have the Squeezeboxes playing the Redbook files and my local public radio station. I do bore of my Redbook collection and might like to branch out to the hi-rez library... I guess that the SB can already do all the higher-rate FLAC files, but it's not as easy.

I'll PM you.

- Ralph

Last edited by ralpheburns; 05-16-2019 at 10:15 AM.
post #225 of 228 Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 PM

FWIW, I ended up getting the ethernet input MSB v2 MQA Renderer and the Linux-based i7 SonicTransporter.
post #226 of 228 Old 05-24-2019, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Just updated first post for the components and theater renovation to hopefully be completed sometime this June!
Update: My cabinet guy came last week. He and my installer are working on renovation plans for me to approve. Unfortunately the cabinet guy is backed up and won't be able to get to me until July or August so that's when the install will be. Meanwhile, with my existing system, I am so enjoying my now Trinnov based theatre.

One more note: Over the years folks may have read some of my posts and some have bought gear from Craig Shumer/VGI, I have even recently had a few contacts from AVSers regarding the Trinnov SSP that I am now in love with. Craig has for some years been my dealer for Theta Digital, ATI, and more recently Trinnov and Paradigm (subwoofers). (I have had other dealers for Aerial Acoustics, Kaleidescape, Sony projector, Stewart Filmscreen, Sim2, etc) (though Craig was an Aerial dealer through early 2015). I will not go into details but simply say that Craig is no longer my dealer or friend/acquaintance and under no circumstances do I recommend or refer anyone to him. I feel obligated to state this because I have noted in the past on this forum that Craig has been my dealer for the above mentioned products and he is no longer. Please do not ask wny here on this forum because I do not intend to get into this publicly at this time absent Craig or anyone on his behalf stating anything untrue.

post #227 of 228 Old 06-08-2019, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

By the way, I've come a long way, as I was not just a Theta luver, but also an Aerial Acoustics speaker luver since 1997. Whereas I have now left the Theta Casablanca SSP (but still have 3 Theta Prometheus monoblocks, and my new 2 Trinnov multi-channel amplifiers are manufactured by ATI/parent company of Theta):

1997: Four Aerial 10ts and a CC3
2000: CC5 replaced CC3
2001: Added three SW12 subwoofers
2008: Replaced 10ts with four 9s
2014: Replaced 9s and CC5 with 5 7ts (and sold the SW12s, now discontinued)
2019: Selling two of the 7ts, adding six of the on wall 7LCRs!
2020: When Michael Kelly comes out with his new "30T" (who knows, he might change the name by then), I plan to sell a pair of 7ts, keeping one 7t for center channel, and get a pair of 30Ts. I will finally have my dream speakers for music and home theater! (And I can finally equal or beat Ash Sharma, who has 3 Aerial 20Ts, now discontinued, up front in his theatre!)

Install/Renovation of my theatre will be sometime hopefully July/August this year, as cabinet guy must coordinate his schedule with my installer Gerry Behm/[email protected]

When we are done, out come component racks and disc racks from the sides of theatre; and out comes existing shelves/cabinets/drawers at rear of theatre, in comes newly done area at rear of theatre for rollout Mid-Atlantic component racks & disc storage, etc as well as for the projector (getting out of the room so no projector noise at all) (with a cooling system for projector in its own hush area).

Here's what my upgraded/renovated system will include:

VIDEO:
Sony VPL-VW5000ES laser projector
Panamorph DCR anamorphic lens
Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 video processor/scaler
Stewart Filmscreen Vistascope 2:40 168” wide X 70” H screen, Snomatte (1.0 gain) (with variable side masking to 4:3) (16:9 is 124.4” wide)

AUDIO:
3 Aerial Acoustics 7t floorstanding speakers w 3 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks
9 Aerial Acoustics 7LCR onwall speakers w Trinnov 8 multi-channel amplifier
9 (possibly 13, still to be determined) Triad Inceiling Rotatable Silver/9 Sat speakers w Trinnov 8m multi-channel amplifier(s)
2 JL Audio f212 subwoofers (each subwoofer has 2 12" woofers)
2 Paradigm Persona subwoofers (each subwoofer has 6 8" woofers)
Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP (24 channels) (ROON Ready)

OTHER COMPONENTS:
Oppo UDP-205 4k blu ray player
Kaleidescape Strato C 4k blu ray player
Kaleidescape Terra 40 TB Movie Server (located out of theatre in home office)
Small Green Computer Sonic Transporter i7 for ROON
Western Digital MyCloud PR4100 32 TB (network music server) (located out of theatre in home office)
2 DJM Electronics Gigafoil v4 (optical converter) (used for ROON ethernet connection to Trinnov Altitude 32 SSP & for Kaleidescape Strato C 4k blu ray player

What's scary is my theatre sounds tremendous right now, pre renovation, with my current 5 Aerial Acoustics 7ts/5 Theta Digital Prometheus monoblocks/4 KEF in ceiling speakers, and Trinnov SSP (which several months ago replaced my longstanding Theta Casablanca IVA SSP). Its only gonna get better - propelled by Aerial Acoustics all around the main "bed" of speakers!
Craig Peer likes this.

post #228 of 228 Old 11-27-2019, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

My theater has been down since August 1st. Maybe 2-3 months before its back up, completely renovated and upgraded. It will different and better in so many ways, with dimensions changed somewhat as well due to renovation, that this thread has served its purpose. I am done posting about my prior dedicated home theater, since 1997, as I will once we're all done start a new thread on my current dedicated home theater.
Craig Peer, Mike_WI and gwthacker like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page