Our Theater (Third and Final one) - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 176 Old 08-17-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Had the pleasure of experiencing this theater for about 90 minutes last evening. A...M...A...Z....I...N...G..... is I can say. It is, hands down, the best theater experience I have witnessed from the Audio to the Video presentation... I have seen and heard quite a few dedicated home theaters that I know cost quite a bit more than this one....but they didn't compare to it at all. Plus my job has taken me all over the country working with different theaters and those don't compare. Heck, Regal's flagship theater is 2 miles from my house and it doesn't sound as good as this room..
Since I am in the process of building my first dedicated room, I was also educated on things I didn't know about that I will need to know moving forward....mostly on the importance of room treatments and bass traps.
The size of those Seatons are something else. The pictures don't do the justice to just how well constructed they are..
I was a 150% Klipsch guy before last night... Still love my RF-7II's and RC-64II, but the Seatons are what I am looking for in a HT speaker. These will be in my theater at some point. Probably not right away...but soon after.
Thanks again for the experience!
Hah!!! Now it's Chuck costing someone ELSE money. He usually blames me for causing him to spend money! Shoe's on the other foot now, bucko!!! biggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 176 Old 08-19-2012, 08:13 AM
FOH
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post

Had the pleasure of experiencing this theater for about 90 minutes last evening. A...M...A...Z....I...N...G..... is I can say. It is, hands down, the best theater experience I have witnessed from the Audio to the Video presentation... I have seen and heard quite a few dedicated home theaters that I know cost quite a bit more than this one....but they didn't compare to it at all. Plus my job has taken me all over the country working with different theaters and those don't compare. Heck, Regal's flagship theater is 2 miles from my house and it doesn't sound as good as this room..
Since I am in the process of building my first dedicated room, I was also educated on things I didn't know about that I will need to know moving forward....mostly on the importance of room treatments and bass traps.
The size of those Seatons are something else. The pictures don't do the justice to just how well constructed they are..
I was a 150% Klipsch guy before last night... Still love my RF-7II's and RC-64II, but the Seatons are what I am looking for in a HT speaker. These will be in my theater at some point. Probably not right away...but soon after.
Thanks again for the experience!

Thank you for taking the time to offer up your impressions of the experience. That sounds like a just a killer demo.

Audioguy's system and room combo, is one of my all time faves simply due to the brute force simplicity, perfectly executed. My knowledge and experience is more heavily weighted toward the audio and acoustics side of the A/V equation. That said I can't really speak to the visual presentation used, other than I've read nothing but great things wrt the JVC projector, and plan to likely get one too. But it was his switch to and early impressions of the Cat12s is what initially brought me to his thread. Also, examining all the subsequent choices made in both gear and room, resonated perfectly with my own hierarchy of importance and approach toward specific goals. I've experimented with many ways to address early sidewall energy, and I believe his use of the BAD panels is spot on. I like essentially every step he's made and most importantly, all the great contributions sharing his findings and experiences. We all benefit from that!

Again Coach, thanks for taking the time and sharing your experience of that world class system cool.gif

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #123 of 176 Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2506 Post(s)
Liked: 2027
Great room - sure it sounds awesome!

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 16 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 176 Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3327
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Great room - sure it sounds awesome!

Thank you. It does sound good for the most part. I have been trying to find one problem (upper midrange glare) for a long time but to no avail. But the bass is scary good with lots of bass traps, 4 SubMersives and Audyssey XT32. And the immersiveness of the audio in the room is also quite satisfying.

We get lots of use out of the room and my wife loves it almost as much as I do.

With the exception of an occassional visit to an iMax, we never go out to movies any longer.
post #125 of 176 Old 01-07-2013, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I was messing around with OmniMic today (actually trying to get REW running with the new USB mic to no avail) and thought I would add these plots of my bass response. The first one is with the front two subs and was where I had them when I only had two SubMersives. The second one is with two subs in the rear of the room and the third one was was both combined. These are all without EQ and the graphs are at 1/12th octave smoothing. These are all with PGM2 on the SubMersives.

What is interesting is that even though the combined response of all 4 subs is reasonably flat, Audyssey X32 made a HUGE difference in the quality of the bass by greatly reducing bass ringing --- only to suggest that there is a lot more to what we hear than frequency response.

Front Two SubMersives

Rear Two SubMersives

All Four SubMersives

The rear sub measurements could become important to me if I ever decide to try "wides" as the interconnect for the front two subs would be used to drive those speakers and I would move the front two subs to the rear. When I have nothing better to do, I will run Audyssey with just the rear subs and see what it sounds like
post #126 of 176 Old 01-12-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3054 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
Audyssey XT32 works quite well. Looks good Audioguy 4 subs Ive always believed is the best way to go. You have an amazing room. smile.gif

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #127 of 176 Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I did a 5 position Audyssey calibration utilizing only the rear subs and the bass was startling. Easily better than all four! The only negative was that it felt like I had bass actuators under my seats. Had that sensation not been confined to just the back of the seats, I would have moved the front two to the rear, stacked them onto the existing 2, run Audyssey and be done with it.

Instead, I have ordered the new DSPeaker Dual Core room correction system to see if I can flatten out the front subs and rear subs separately, and then let Audyssey do it's thing.

My thought is that the rear subs are using much of their output to fill in the dip from the front subs instead of using that output to energize the room. And that is exactly what it felt like when I ran just the rear two subs.

Stay tuned. I will post my results once I have tried this newest toy biggrin.gif
post #128 of 176 Old 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Very very interesting! can't wait to read the results! To keep the pre-audyssey eq on both pairs, would you need two Antimodes? If not, will you be running each pair "as one?"
post #129 of 176 Old 01-18-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

My two front subs are equal distance from the MLP as are the two rear subs. So the front two will be treated as one and the back two will be treated as one (which is how I have done it with Audyssey).

The difference once I have this new whizzbang device installed is that by the time Audyssey sees the subs, they will already be flat (and the timing difference will also be taken into consideration between the fronts and rears. I could then just tell Audyssey that I only have one sub. I will just have to experiment.

One of the other nifty things about this product is that you can store profiles accessible via remote. So for music, I would have one slope of the bass and for action movies another.

That is a feature that these Integra and other pre-pros really need (storing multiple filter sets). The other thing these pre-pros need (would need to be a function of Audyssey Pro) is the ability to rerun Audyssey for only those speakers that would have changed since the last time you ran it. (typically sub location). I recommended that to them years ago, they said they thought it was a great idea and then apparently, dismissed it. The inclusion of this device (if it works like I think it will) will eliminate all of the Audyssey runs I perform due to sub placement experimentation.

All that said, it is yet to be determined if my objectives and reality line up but we should know reasonably soon.
post #130 of 176 Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

My two front subs are equal distance from the MLP as are the two rear subs. So the front two will be treated as one and the back two will be treated as one (which is how I have done it with Audyssey).

The difference once I have this new whizzbang device installed is that by the time Audyssey sees the subs, they will already be flat (and the timing difference will also be taken into consideration between the fronts and rears. I could then just tell Audyssey that I only have one sub. I will just have to experiment.

One of the other nifty things about this product is that you can store profiles accessible via remote. So for music, I would have one slope of the bass and for action movies another.

That is a feature that these Integra and other pre-pros really need (storing multiple filter sets). The other thing these pre-pros need (would need to be a function of Audyssey Pro) is the ability to rerun Audyssey for only those speakers that would have changed since the last time you ran it. (typically sub location). I recommended that to them years ago, they said they thought it was a great idea and then apparently, dismissed it. The inclusion of this device (if it works like I think it will) will eliminate all of the Audyssey runs I perform due to sub placement experimentation.

All that said, it is yet to be determined if my objectives and reality line up but we should know reasonably soon.

I want one! The EQ and .the ability to utilize multiple profiles seem reason enough to pursue. My bass preferences do indeed differ between music and movies. I’ve seen this device mentioned a number of times on the Submersive thread, but never paid it too much attention, as I thought it was just a control-freak tool for folks who liked to EQ their EQ. incidentally, that’s exactly what would be happening, but your explanation makes it seem sensible.
post #131 of 176 Old 01-19-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Good afternoon audioguy. I just posted this mini-review of Dredd over on Blu-ray.com and thought I would share with you. I think I would be very afraid to hear this in your room. biggrin.gif
Quote:
OK gents....just finished watching Dredd. The most outrageous, crazy, over-the-top, mamajama, kick you in the pants, ridiculously excessive, one of the most deepest bass, foundation shaking, tremorous sound tracks I have ever heard. This is the new go to movie for scaring the crap out of unsuspecting audience members

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #132 of 176 Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A couple of updates:

I wanted to be able to easily stream music (wirelessly) to a system in our family room from my server located in the "terrace level" (otherwise known as a basement). And my server has no analog outputs and was configured with two digital outputs, one with SPDIF and the other with AES/EBU. The SPDIF was going to my Integra so I searched for an inexpensive (or used) DAC that supported AES/EBU and ended up with this USB DAC from Emotiva (http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/x-series/products/xda2). Since the purpose of the DAC was to get background music upstairs, I was not concerned about quality. Well it turns out that this product is amazing. It may not compare favorably to the dCS $77,000 stack but it is an amazing piece. The product I used to wirelessly transmit the data (to both my family room and my office on the top floor) was this http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W3#.URD4Aujag_M).

In addition, I had read so much about the qøl™ – signal completion stage (in TAS and Stereophile) and their 30 day home trial, I decided to give this a go as well. My conclusions are not yet final but this is a very cool piece, albeit, in my opinion, overpriced. They need to do the Audyssey thing and get this technology imbedded into preamps and surround processors. The problem I needed to solve if I keep this unit is how to integrate it into my system so that it gets a feed for the full music spectrum. So, if I used the LR outputs of my Integra, I would not get the feed for bass, assuming I did not use the Integra in Direct Mode which would then mean I had no EQ on my system.

So enter yet another box/product that I have purchased and that is the Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core (http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml). Now THIS is an amazing product. It provides digital room correction up to about 500 hz, a built in mini-screen to see the before/after of the correction, has memories for storing various correction filters, has an instantaneous ability to add a bit of user defined bass boost (which I use when listening to movies) and a bunch of other capabilities too numerous to mention. (In a full disclosure, I like this product so much I became a dealer for them. If interested, send me a PM). The correction it did on my bass compared to Audyssey Pro was very impressive.

The initial reason for the purchase of the Dual Core was to see if I could get more out of my 4 SubMersives. The front combined with the rear subs created a very nice FR but the front subs had a very wide dip that the rear subs corrected but, I postulate, at the expense of giving up some slam. So the plan was to use the Dual Core to flatten out the front subs and THEN run Audyssey. That experiment is still on-going.

So back to potential implementation of the qøl™, I still potentially needed another piece to make it all work and am considering a very nifty preamp from Emotiva that I found by accident. It is an analog stereo preamp (see http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xsp1) that supports 2.1 or 2.2 systems providing the ability to set crossover points, adjust the level of each side, etc and provides full HT pass-thru so that your pre-pro can have direct access to both the mains and the subs. I am not familiar with any other analog preamp that offers this capability – at any price. Couple this with the Dual Core and ---- viola !!

I am still experimenting so we shall see. And I thought I was through. Once everything is in place and have made the decisions to keep all of the components, I will try to draw a schematic on how it is all connected.
post #133 of 176 Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've also read about the qal signal completion stage...a controversial product for that price. I definitely look forward to hearing your finalized impressions. On the anti-mode, how have the results been thus far in eq-ing with the anti-mode first, followed by audyssey?
post #134 of 176 Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

On the anti-mode, how have the results been thus far in eq-ing with the anti-mode first, followed by audyssey?

The results I get from the anti-mode are much better than with Audyssey. Unfortunagtely, when I run Audyssey through the anti-mode, it partially screws up the primary benefit of the antimode:

The first plot is uncorrected compared to dual core corrected:

The next compares the dual core corrected to what Audyssey did on top of that correction:

You can see that Audyssey reduces a fair amount of the output below 20hz ---- and I paid good money for that output. smile.gif

Now the good news is that I can easily fix that since the dual core provide the ability to raise the base a chosen amount below a user selected pivot point -- and save that to a memory.

A very very flexible product.

There is a trick I learned a long time ago with other room correction systems I used -- I am going to increase the dual core output (it has volume control) when the system does it's measurements and see if most of the curve is above the point at which it starts and then pull everything down and potentially get better response. It may or may not work but as you can see, even my uncorrected response looks OK but Audyssey really eliminates bass ringing.
post #135 of 176 Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
audioguy,

The antimode looks pretty good. How does it measure the sound, is a mic included, or can I use my ECM calibrated mic I run with REW? If it does not have a mic, how does it know if there are standing waves in corners? Also, where is the antimode made? Last, would it be possible to get it for an in home audition? I'd love to get rid of my standing waves... thanks
post #136 of 176 Old 02-06-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr View Post

audioguy,

The antimode looks pretty good. How does it measure the sound, is a mic included, or can I use my ECM calibrated mic I run with REW? If it does not have a mic, how does it know if there are standing waves in corners? Also, where is the antimode made? Last, would it be possible to get it for an in home audition? I'd love to get rid of my standing waves... thanks

It does include a very small mic and about a 30 foot cord that plugs into the Dual Core. The entire process takes maybe 15 minutes and it will show the uncorrected response and then the corrected response on the little screen (which you can validate with an external measuring system like REW or OmniMIc). It is made in Finland. Here is the website of the manufacturer:

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml
post #137 of 176 Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
old thread, but just starting to lurk in this section of the forum!
awesome job
everything looks amazing, but I must ask...
what is on the back wall, looks so cool!

Photo Tour of my home - 2ch, 3.1, & 5.1 builds 
But a whole new house is getting wired now!
New media room shaping up: Sony XBR70X850B 4K, Denon AVR-X4100W, Studio 60s
Thanks to all the AVS members. This is a great community.
post #138 of 176 Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanA3 View Post

old thread, but just starting to lurk in this section of the forum!
awesome job
everything looks amazing, but I must ask...
what is on the back wall, looks so cool!

Thanks you.

The back wall has RPG Skylines Diffusors on it. They may now be a discontinued product since I could not find them on the main RPG page. You can find them at other sites like Music Direct. But the price shown is WAY above what they cost when I purchased them. WAAAAAY above.

See http://www.rpgeurope.com/products/product/skyline.html
post #139 of 176 Old 02-18-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Great system audioguy (your Forum name is appropriate). Having heard quad Submersive's with Catalyst LCR's, I think I have a pretty good idea of how your system sounds. Interesting that you have all of that diffusion on the back wall but no apparent bass trapping, I suppose properly placed subs and some EQ mitigate the need for passive trapping and your graphs certainly indicate same.

Nice job and it's good to see such a high performance system with an audiophile spin ... best of both worlds. cool.gif

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #140 of 176 Old 02-18-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

Great system audioguy (your Forum name is appropriate). Having heard quad Submersive's with Catalyst LCR's, I think I have a pretty good idea of how your system sounds. Interesting that you have all of that diffusion on the back wall but no apparent bass trapping, I suppose properly placed subs and some EQ mitigate the need for passive trapping and your graphs certainly indicate same.

Nice job and it's good to see such a high performance system with an audiophile spin ... best of both worlds. cool.gif

Thank you for the compliment. Actually, there is a significant amount of bass trapping. All four corners are bass traps and 3 of the 4 wall/ceiling soffits are bass traps. I learned in my last room that room correction alone is not enough to eliminate bass ringing.

In the photo below, you can see the front right corner during construction and see where the corner trap is being constructed and the soffit traps. The soffit traps are stuffed with OC703!

post #141 of 176 Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just installed DiracLive software on my music server and I can only say WOW. So for any of you two channel guys who would prefer something other than Audyssey on a pre-pro or some PEQ capability, this is the way to go. Server to DAC to analog preamp to speakers, all nice and room corrected.

Lots more flexible that Audyssey (Pro) but some care must be taken. (should you choose to try this, let me know so I can give you a heads up in one specific area). Once installed, VERY easy to use (Mac or PC). Three measurement options: single listener which fits me since my wife watched movies but does not listen to music; correct for a sofa; or correct for the room.

While I have not done any A/B comparisons to Audyssey through the Integra for 2 channel, I can tell you (and will post photos later) that the corrected response is smoother with Dirac than Audyssey.

You can download it and play with it free for some time (20 days??) and then decide. List is about $800 and I think you can purchase now for $650.

Highly recommended.
post #142 of 176 Old 02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:

Thank you for the compliment. Actually, there is a significant amount of bass trapping. All four corners are bass traps and 3 of the 4 wall/ceiling soffits are bass traps. I learned in my last room that room correction alone is not enough to eliminate bass ringing.

In the photo below, you can see the front right corner during construction and see where the corner trap is being constructed and the soffit traps. The soffit traps are stuffed with OC703!

Thanks for the correction and I apologize for being lazy and not looking at the entire build thread. It is nice to see someone doing HT audio right. cool.gif

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
post #143 of 176 Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am temporarily running my server with DiracLive on and Audyssey off to listen since the bass management functions of my 2 day old preamp don't work. Here is the bass response (both subs and mains) after Dirac did it's thing --- no smoothing!

post #144 of 176 Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1154 Post(s)
Liked: 1410
Quote:

I am temporarily running my server with DiracLive on and Audyssey off to listen since the bass management functions of my 2 day old preamp don't work. Here is the bass response (both subs and mains) after Dirac did it's thing --- no smoothing!

What "2-day old preamp" is this?

That response is amazing!!! I like the upsloping target curve too!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #145 of 176 Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Craig:

The slope of the response exists due to the standard target curve in DiracLive. One of the beauties of Dirac is the unlimited ability to modify the target to really fine-tune your response. What is cool about it is that if offers three approaches to measuring: For a single listener (much to the chagrin of our North Carolina friend -- Gary J); for a sofa or for an entire room. For a single listener, you take 9 measurements (MUCH MUCH faster than Audyssey).

Three things got me to the Preamp:

First: I needed an inexpensive DAC to take the output of my server and connect to this (http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-W3) to transmit wireless audio to my family room and office. That way I can use my iPhone or iPad with J Remote to control what I hear throughout the house. And specifically, it needed to be an AES/EBU connection since that is what I had available (without buying more stuff) from my server. That led me to Emotiva.

Second: I have the qol Audio Enhancement thingie (see http://www.bsgt.com/technology-information/about-qol/qol-the-dna-of-sound/). And to take full advantage of it, I wanted it to be fed the entire audio signal, not just what the mains from my Integra would feed it.

Third: I wanted to be able to use DiracLive from my server (it has a LOT more flexibility than Audyssey Pro and appears to be as good or better than Audyssey at doing it’s job).

So, since I use a sub(s) for augmenting my mains for music listening, I searched for a preamp that supported analog bass management, and I found two. The Parasound P7 at $2000 and the Emotiva XSP-1 at $900. I chose the latter. I’m sure the Parasound is probably a better piece but I’m not sure how audible it would be to these ears. I also could have used a regular two channel preamp (purchased used), split the output and then used the Dual Core (see http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml) to control the filter for the subs. But I didn’t.

As it turns out, my preamp is faulty. No matter what crossover point I select, the curve never changes so they are sending me a new (and tested) unit. (another benefit of measuring !!!!)

I have sent you a PM on the DSpeaker products.

Chuck
post #146 of 176 Old 02-26-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is how I have everything connected. As of today, the DSpeaker Dual Core is not in the system.

post #147 of 176 Old 02-27-2013, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DiracLive is quite intriguing. The ability to perform room correction at my primary source (Media Server) would allow me to reap the benefits of the SABRE DACS in my Oppo 105 and proper EQ simultaneously, all while avoiding D-A-D conversion—the last D being the one I wish to avoid. This is actually ideal. Would you mind PM-ing me what you paid for it and which microphone you use for calibration?
post #148 of 176 Old 02-27-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I paid the standard price. It was on sale for $650 and I think the regular price is like $800. I had an old M30 Mic (Earthworks) which is more accurate without a cal file than most are with. I used this as a mic preamp (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=audiobox+usb). A friend who tested DiracLive out first (they have a trial period of like 21 days) used the XTZ mic and preamp and then when he purchased the software, bought the audiobox piece.

I would go on-line to DiracLive site and see if all you need is a USB mic with a cal file. In my case, I needed the gain provided from the mic preamp.

I can't remember what SSP you are using, but you may want to think through the A/D and D/A conversion process you are contemplating if you require subs to run your main speakers full range (as I do). Unless you have an analog preamp with analog bass management, you are going to end up coming from your Oppo (analog out) to your SSP and then having to convert back to digital to do bass management and then back to analog.

That is why I ended up with the preamp that I am trying to use. I come digital out of the server with the corrected response, then to the DAC and then to the analog preamp so no more conversions.

One more point. If you have not already paid for and/or committed to your server, I HIGHLY recommend you make a phone call to Neal at SoundScience and hear his story on server differences. While he is clearly a competitor to the server you are looking at, he knows his stuff and may give you some insight to help your evaluation. He can be reached at 720-308-4000.

If you have already purchased your server, ignore the above.

But DiracLive is the real deal.
post #149 of 176 Old 02-27-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
audioguy... awesome theater. I studied your theater and tried to emulate it as much as I could in my last theater build and I've got to say it paid off. Your system must sound amazing.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #150 of 176 Old 02-28-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

audioguy... awesome theater. I studied your theater and tried to emulate it as much as I could in my last theater build and I've got to say it paid off. Your system must sound amazing.

They say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" so thank you. Do you have photos anywhere?

The system does sound very good to my ears. That has much to do with the speaker choices, placement, room treatment and Audyssey (Pro), and using available measuring tools like OmniMIc or XTZ or REW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor , Seaton Sound Catalyst 12c , Seaton Sound Submersive H P , Integra , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page