Thrang's Home Theater (for now...) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #61 of 855 Old 11-16-2010, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Well, I tried the "Launch from I-Pad" feature via the My Movies app. It is really cool. I do have a few problems and will actually comment to Binnerup. The program launched too fast and Arcsoft TMT 3.0 fired up before virtual clone drive could mount the iso. I have a SSD drive so this may be an issue.... Too damn fast.

I see family movie night starting with me handing the I-Pad to the misses. she and my daughter scroll the flicks, push play and I handle the Harmony and if necessary the DiNovo Mini. As you said, if they add full transport and some kind of PC remote function, it's a win. The shelf system is damn good looking.

Best of luck to you with the A100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 855 Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleHTGuy View Post

Well, I tried the "Launch from I-Pad" feature via the My Movies app. It is really cool. I do have a few problems and will actually comment to Binnerup. The program launched too fast and Arcsoft TMT 3.0 fired up before virtual clone drive could mount the iso. I have a SSD drive so this may be an issue.... Too damn fast.

I see family movie night starting with me handing the I-Pad to the misses. she and my daughter scroll the flicks, push play and I handle the Harmony and if necessary the DiNovo Mini. As you said, if they add full transport and some kind of PC remote function, it's a win. The shelf system is damn good looking.

Best of luck to you with the A100.

My problem which I've posted on their forums but haven't gotten an answer, is that box sets/collections aren't mimicked correctly on the iPad app - I'm almost every case, box sets appear as individual titles on the shelf along with the collection title itself. In one case, a different issue - for Alien Anthology, I only see the collection title on the shelf (good), but clicking on play does not reveal the associated titles to the collection.

In wmc, all box sets and collections appear and operate normally. Otherwise, it is a very cool app that would cost a ton of money, if at all possible, to have a creston-style solution built...
post #63 of 855 Old 11-17-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Fantastic setup!! Gotta love those B&W diamonds, very impressive. Gotta ask since ur pj seems to be mounted in the middle of the screen, is that a High power screen?
Beautiful setup!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 855 Old 11-17-2010, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daman S View Post

Fantastic setup!! Gotta love those B&W diamonds, very impressive. Gotta ask since ur pj seems to be mounted in the middle of the screen, is that a High power screen?
Beautiful setup!

Yes, HP 2.8 Cinema Contour 133"
post #65 of 855 Old 11-17-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

Yes, HP 2.8 Cinema Contour 133"

Sweet that room must be large.I have a 125" myself and love it!

My HT Setup
My Blu-Rays
PSN Id:blitz500

post #66 of 855 Old 11-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Thrang, your setup is wonderful. I really love the inviting feel of your room.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #67 of 855 Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post

Thrang, your setup is wonderful. I really love the inviting feel of your room.

Thanks - my next change is seating
post #68 of 855 Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks - my next upgrade is better seating - those Berklines have horrible lumbar support....

I wanna know about the A 100 switch out and of course, those bad boy 803Di's going to wide duty. I now live vicariously through you and my life ain't bad.
post #69 of 855 Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I wanna know about the A 100 switch out and of course, those bad boy 803Di's going to wide duty. I now live vicariously through you and my life ain't bad.

You can choose better to live vicariously though!

The A100 is still back ordered, I guess due to the hardware changes...so I have nothing further..I'm half thinking of just waiting to CES to see what Denon announces as upgrades for my A1...
post #70 of 855 Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Thanks - my next upgrade is better seating - those Berklines have horrible lumbar support....

Maybe a sectional instead of the individual chairs.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #71 of 855 Old 11-26-2010, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Get the Mac or Classe... either will match wonderfully with those 800's

AudioXtream
Authorized Dealer:

Trinnov, Anthem, SVS, Triad, Genelec,
Revel, JBL Synthesis/JBL Pro, Paradigm, Kaleidescape, PS Audio, JVC,
Panamorph, LG
post #72 of 855 Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

My vote goes to the MX150. Subjectiveness aside, room correction gives it the edge.
post #73 of 855 Old 11-26-2010, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post

Maybe a sectional instead of the individual chairs.

I though about this but then came across some seats from jaymar, a Canadian company, at a local furniture store - another league than the berklines, deep but firm cushioning, great lumbar support, all hardwood construction - I ordered a straight four configuration, which should be in early January...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Hi Tony - might get a three channel Mac for the fronts, but not till next year - but the poa is no slouch I must say, so it's not as high on my list...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

My vote goes to the MX150. Subjectiveness aside, room correction gives it the edge.

At this point, I'm sticking with the a1, especially since they are supposed to announce some nice hardware and software upgrades in January...
post #74 of 855 Old 11-27-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I though about this but then came across some seats from jaymar, a Canadian company, at a local furniture store - another league than the berklines, deep but firm cushioning, great lumbar support, all hardwood construction - I ordered a straight four configuration, which should be in early January...

Hi Tony - might get a three channel Mac for the fronts, but not till next year - but the poa is no slouch I must say, so it's not as high on my list...

At this point, I'm sticking with the a1, especially since they are supposed to announce some nice hardware and software upgrades in January...

Ah, that's actually good to hear.
post #75 of 855 Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

All right you crazy over the top B&W big bucks guy. I know you've got the hum issue with the 4311. It must be annoying and yet, I still want to know how 803 Dis in wide mode sound in your really fantastic big budget room. Let's hear a review now. enquiring minds want-a know.

Cheers and it's all good!
post #76 of 855 Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Wow, an absolutely amazing setup. You guys with dedicated rooms in homes are so lucky you have no idea, or maybe you do

So why the decision to put the 803's on the sides and not rears with the 805s on the sides? Just curious. I currently run a 7 speaker setup with towers in the front and back and never actually tried having the surrounds on the sides. Technically with my currernt speakers I couldn't have my sides in the rear because they are dipoles but it's something I would consider in the future as I move to a 7 speaker B&W setup. I'm starting next month by getting 802Di's and the HTM2Di. After those are paid off the decision will be whether I get say a pair of 804s or 803s and a pair of 805s or 2 pairs of 805s. If money was no object and I had house as opposed to an apartment 7 802Dis would be super sweet but that ain't gonna happen . I was going for 3 803Dis for the front but my dealer talked me out of it and the B&W rep apparantely agreed because the center 802 would not be in the center as I have a tv on a stand.

Are you running custom crossovers for the speaker groups (i.e separate fronts, center, sides and rears) or is everything set high to one frequency, say 80Hz? It would be a shame if you couldn't control the groups separatley to get the most out of each speaker group.

post #77 of 855 Old 01-06-2011, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thrang, I am kind of bummed you had no review on the new AVR, other than a bad unit and some kind of hum/noise. Are you going to try again?
post #78 of 855 Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 AM

Liked: 10
Friggin awesome setup. As far as B & W speakers go would you buy another set? Why I ask, is I'm looking at upgrading and doing it right this time.

Thanks
Bud
Syracuse, NY
post #79 of 855 Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thrang, I am kind of bummed you had no review on the new AVR, other than a bad unit and some kind of hum/noise. Are you going to try again?

Hi - few things - holidays, new projector issues/returns, 4311 blue rain (haven't dropped it off for fixing yet) kept me busier/disinterested in a more detailed review.

Also, I am spoiled being an A1 owner...and do miss some the qualities of the AVP..but I will set aside some time for more critical listening soon and try to post more thoughtful feedback

DSX is more hit or miss the longer I use it. Often I find hollow vocalization which requires me to disable it.
post #80 of 855 Old 01-06-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efmrrt View Post

Friggin awesome setup. As far as B & W speakers go would you buy another set? Why I ask, is I'm looking at upgrading and doing it right this time.

Absolutely. They are incredible, and likely my last speaker purchases.
post #81 of 855 Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Wow, an absolutely amazing setup. You guys with dedicated rooms in homes are so lucky you have no idea, or maybe you do

So why the decision to put the 803's on the sides and not rears with the 805s on the sides? Just curious. I currently run a 7 speaker setup with towers in the front and back and never actually tried having the surrounds on the sides. Technically with my currernt speakers I couldn't have my sides in the rear because they are dipoles but it's something I would consider in the future as I move to a 7 speaker B&W setup. I'm starting next month by getting 802Di's and the HTM2Di. After those are paid off the decision will be whether I get say a pair of 804s or 803s and a pair of 805s or 2 pairs of 805s. If money was no object and I had house as opposed to an apartment 7 802Dis would be super sweet but that ain't gonna happen . I was going for 3 803Dis for the front but my dealer talked me out of it and the B&W rep apparantely agreed because the center 802 would not be in the center as I have a tv on a stand.

Are you running custom crossovers for the speaker groups (i.e separate fronts, center, sides and rears) or is everything set high to one frequency, say 80Hz? It would be a shame if you couldn't control the groups separatley to get the most out of each speaker group.

In DSX, wides have more likelihood of receiving full range signal than the side surrounds, so the 803's went there...

Audyssey Pro does set different crossovers for each speaker, so the front wides and center were set to full range - I think I've backed them off to 40 hz for soundtracks, and play the 802's full for stereo music
post #82 of 855 Old 01-06-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

In DSX, wides have more likelihood of receiving full range signal than the side surrounds, so the 803's went there...

Audyssey Pro does set different crossovers for each speaker, so the front wides and center were set to full range - I think I've backed them off to 40 hz for soundtracks, and play the 802's full for stereo music

Mine also showed full range. You should set them to small in the AVR and I know with the behemoths you have, you may consider this sacrilege but I'd even play with 60Hz as a manual over ride on crossover. I know my fronts are lowly 803Ss, but I get a bit more very low bass via crossing over to my little ASW 2500s.
post #83 of 855 Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2199 Post(s)
Liked: 2334
That really looks spectacular. Love the equipment especially the B&W speakers. They just look incredible.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #84 of 855 Old 01-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Thrang,

First off got to say your setup is amazing. Love the spaciousness of your room and especially your new B&W's!

I've decided to get the 802Di's myself but not sure yet on finish. Since you have first hand experience owning the new Piano Black finish how is it in terms of durability and reflectiveness?

Do you find the finish easy to swirl when dusting? Do they reflect a lot of the light from your projector?

Thanks for your help.

See Profile
post #85 of 855 Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

Thrang,

First off got to say your setup is amazing. Love the spaciousness of your room and especially your new B&W's!

I've decided to get the 802Di's myself but not sure yet on finish. Since you have first hand experience owning the new Piano Black finish how is it in terms of durability and reflectiveness?

Do you find the finish easy to swirl when dusting? Do they reflect a lot of the light from your projector?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your comments...

In terms of reflections, they are there if you look for them - but during the course of watching films or TVs I never see them or are distracted in anyway, nor is anyone who's ever watched anything in the toom - the speakers disappear for me.

Now I am normally someone who, once they see a problem, can't help but stare at it - but even knowing there are small reflections on certain speakers does't invoke that personality disorder...they vanish that well...

The reflections are on the left and right sides, and the top of the center - nothing ever from the front bezel (I run with grills off)

Prior to these speakers, I had tall black ash matte finish towers. While they didn't have sharp reflections, their entire sides "glowed" with a diffuse reflection of the screen and I noticed those more for some odd reason, even during viewing. That was one of the reasons I did not do the wood finish on the B&W - I was concerned the relatively lighter, matte finishes of the other finish choices would create a similar effect.

Of course, the 802's have rounded cabinets, while the previous towers were flat sided, and taller, so there is probably a factor there as well.

In terms of keeping them clean, I use a swiffer to pull dust off easily - no swirls at all. If you get fingerprint smudges, I use a microfiber cloth and the iKlear screen cleaning solution (recommended by Apple for their LCD's)

http://www.klearscreen.com/

It removes the oils, does not scratch, and leaves no residue
post #86 of 855 Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Thanks for your comments...

In terms of reflections, they are there if you look for them - but during the course of watching films or TVs I never see them or are distracted in anyway, nor is anyone who's ever watched anything in the toom - the speakers disappear for me.

Now I am normally someone who, once they see a problem, can't help but stare at it - but even knowing there are small reflections on certain speakers doesn't invoke that personality disorder...they vanish that well...

The reflections are on the left and right sides, and the top of the center - nothing ever from the front bezel (I run with grills off)

Prior to these speakers, I had tall black ash matte finish towers. While they didn't have sharp reflections, their entire sides "glowed" with a diffuse reflection of the screen and I noticed those more for some odd reason, even during viewing. That was one of the reasons I did not do the wood finish on the B&W - I was concerned the relatively lighter, matte finishes of the other finish choices would create a similar effect.

Of course, the 802's have rounded cabinets, while the previous towers were flat sided, and taller, so there is probably a factor there as well.

In terms of keeping them clean, I use a swiffer to pull dust off easily - no swirls at all. If you get fingerprint smudges, I use a microfiber cloth and the iKlear screen cleaning solution (recommended by Apple for their LCD's)

http://www.klearscreen.com/

It removes the oils, does not scratch, and leaves no residue

Appreciate your feedback!

Currently I have a 803S in black ash and it is two feet off the sides of the screen and they do have that slight reflective glow you mentioned. Nothing distracting, but it is there as well. The curved shape of the cabinet and speaker positioning ie (more toe in less reflection) does minimize the glow so I'll work with the new speakers.

Great to hear the gloss does not swirl easily which would indicate the top coat of the finish is hard. If it is anything like the Marlan head's gloss finish then the cabinets should be equally as durable! This would be more of my main concern as I hate seeing swirl marks!

Thanks, you've reassured my decision on the Piano Black!

See Profile
post #87 of 855 Old 01-16-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 269
thrang,

I read your thread and since I like the B&W sound, I love your room. I heard the older 800D a year ago in a hotel conference room in Brussels and they are awesome! I am sure the new 802D you have in your more normal sized room sound fab!

Now, SeattleHTGuy pointed me in your direction for my request I asked on the 4311 thread today. Allow me to copy+paste my post. I think I know your answer on the Wides.

"Hello all,

This seems to be the forum where many of the DSX addicts are hanging out, so please advise me on this. I am planning a 11.2 Surround system in the "amusement" space of our new house. I am now building 2 LLT (Large & Low Tuned) subwoofers to do the .2 stuff.

I decided to DIY build the other speakers also. In our current living room, we have the B&W CM7, CMC and CM1 as speakers in a 5.1 (REL SW). I am unhappy with the CMC, it is outperformed by the CM7. I don't want to make that mistake again (the CMC2 did not yet exist). If I had 200K lying around, I'd get the B&W Custom Theatre 800... Instead, I chose the DTQWT-12 DIY kit from Troels Gravesen for L&R. Awesome very (very!) large 3-way speakers, but very affordable and the same drivers will be used in a custom center speaker. So far so good.

Now the Wides: I want use the DTQWT variation for this. This is a large (not very large) 3-way speaker, only the 2 woofers are 10" rather than 12". This will produce an outstanding soundstage because the 80-200 Hz (80 Hz or whatever MultEQ32 sets) will always be superior over a standmount (using only the tweeter and midwoofer). Am I seeing this wrong? Is the 80-200Hz content sent to DSX Width channel worth these towers?
DTQWT:
troelsgravesen.dk (could not yet insert URL)

The Heights: these would have to be bookshelves, with the same tweeter and midwoofer, using an angled shape, to face down to the listener.
Horizontal angle is 35° (45° recommended)
Vertical angle is 22° (45° recommended)
Ceiling Height is only 2m40 (8')
Should I bother? Other option is commercial in-ceiling, but with other drivers, timbre-matching is at risk. Angles would be better (45° Horizontal and 28° Vert)

Thanks

Erwin"

Any input would be very appreciated.
Here's my floor plan:
Attachment 198167

Ronse2010B_HTplan4.pdf 466.0478515625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ronse2010B_HTplan4.pdf (466.0 KB, 183 views)

Building a 9.1.6 HT: DIYSG Titan LX [LCR] • Cinema 10 Max [Surrounds] • Volt 10 altered and added passive radiators [Tops] • LLT 550 liter Mal-x 18" subs [2] • XPR-5 • Marantz MM8003 [2] • NU6000 • XMC-1 [RMC-1 with Dirac Unison wanted] • PT AT6000E • 130" Seymour Center XD • Oppo 103EU
post #88 of 855 Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

First post lists the latest config and contains several new photos of my current set-up...why I'm doing this before the dust settles at CEDIA and not knowing what inevitable changes that will bring, I don't know...
post #89 of 855 Old 09-10-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Looking beautiful as always

How are you liking the new SSP and amps compared to the Denon gear you had?

post #90 of 855 Old 09-10-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

Looking beautiful as always

How are you liking the new SSP and amps compared to the Denon gear you had?

I am thrilled with the SSP. The A1 is a great unit, but I find the SSP distinctly more refined - more natural, effortless and detailed. Soundstage is improved as well.

I had both in hand, and tried both the new W4S amp in use, with the same speakers in the same room, so I can't get much more equal in terms of comparative conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
anthem avm 60 , B W , jbl 708 , jbl m2 , Jl Audio Fathom F113 Gloss 13 5 Inch Powered Subwoofer , Mcintosh Labs , Med1000x3d Hd 3d Multimedia Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , sony vpl-vw5000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page