post #1561 of 1588 Old 07-31-2018, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2851
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post
I got you Seldon. I guess what I mean is I can't wait to try movies like Jason Bourne which says it has a DTS:X sound track on the disk, and Black Panther or The Last Jedi, both of which they say they have Atmos sound tracks on the 4k disks. That's all I meant. I am also looking forward to "expanding" films that are 5.1 and use the DTS:X upmixer to see how the sound. Maybe I am not saying it right, but I am happy and can't wait to try more content.
I understand. Most Atmos and DTS:X movies have very good soundtracks, although some audio mixers and directors are still in the process of learning how best to use the overhead dimension.

It's also sometimes hard to keep the upmixers separate from true Atmos and DTS:X. They're very, very good.

Have fun!

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1588 Old 07-31-2018, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Oh, I will have a lot of fun.
Thanks Selden.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #1563 of 1588 Old 07-31-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated the first pic
And here is the room split up

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_130614 (1).jpg
Views:	274
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2435434   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_130621.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2435436  

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 07-31-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1588 Old 07-31-2018, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

And one more of the listing position

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180731_122650.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2435440  

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 11-06-2018 at 01:04 PM.
post #1565 of 1588 Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So here is a something interesting. Normally I watch loud movies on my own. And I have the Crowson so I get extra shake from that. Well, a day or two ago I thought something was wrong with my sub. When I ran the test tone through my preamp I barely heard it so I started to panic. I watched King Aurthur: Legend of the sword which I like, and there some bass in there but nothing outrageous. Then last night I was still worried so I put on the test I always use to test my sub. The intro to Edge of Tomorrow. But I had another person in the room with me as well. I only had it at -18. Boy howdy is this thing working. The sweep was incredible. The other person was standing up and they said that they felt the bass through the floor. Not only that, but they swore they saw the floor moving. Now I can not confirm or deny that part but this person said it multiple times. So the SubMersive HP is still rocking my room after having it for 11 years. Just wanted to share that little tid bit.
ambesolman likes this.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 08-11-2018 at 07:53 AM.
post #1566 of 1588 Old 08-10-2018, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 977
Quote:
Here is a picture with my old TV.That was a big 34in Sony TV

http://cdn.avsforum.com/6/6e/6e98dc8...ach199340.jpeg
Not to dig up an ancient post, but I was just looking at your setup and I had the same 34" sony trinitron tv and only donated it a couple years ago when one of the cathodes went out and the picture got all blue and smurfy. Had it for 5yrs before I even saw an HD pic on it, but what a picture. Every friend i had to help move it still curses me about having to help carry it to this day.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html

Last edited by ambesolman; 08-10-2018 at 03:52 PM.
post #1567 of 1588 Old 08-10-2018, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Not to dig up an ancient post, but I was just looking at your setup and I had the same 34" sony trinitron tv and only donated it a couple years ago when one of the cathodes went out and the picture got all blue and smurfy. Had it for 5yrs before I even saw an HD pic on it, but what a picture. Every friend i had to help move it still curses me about having to help carry it to this day.
Yea, that thing was a beast (heavy as anything). It did have great picture quality. It served me well for a number of years also. Thanks for stopping by.

My System
post #1568 of 1588 Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
So here is a something interesting. Normally I watch loud movies on my own. And I have the Crowson so I get extra shake from that. Well, a day or two ago I thought something was wrong with my sub. When I ran the test tone through my preamp I barely heard it so I started to panic. I watched King Aurthur: Legend of the sword which I like, and there some bass in there but nothing outrageous. Then last night I was still worried so I put on the test I always use to test my sub. The intro to Edge of Tomorrow. But I had another person in the room with me as well. I only had it at -18. Boy howdy is this thing working. The sweep was incredible. The other person was standing up and they said that they felt the bass through the floor. Not only that, but they swore they saw the floor moving. Now I can not confirm or deny that part but this person said it multiple times. So the SubMersive HP is still rocking my room after having it for 11 years. Just wanted to share that little tid bit.
FWIW, Disney has gotten a reputation for neutering the soundtracks on their discs.

If you like movies with lots of bass, you might take a look at the thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...cy-charts.html

Selden

post #1569 of 1588 Old 08-11-2018, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea I know. Disney has really messed that up. That is a cool list, as well as the one on databass.com. I do use both of them to see what the measurements are. for me though, what I have noticed is, as long as it's not a cliff, and it just slopes down granted at a lower level, I will feel it with the Crowson. Ex, people complain about The Avengers first movie. With the Crowson, I can get some shake with low bass that is in the movie just a much lower level. But I think I was underwhelmed with Black Panther. It's OK though, I still have plenty of non-Disney movies that have bass and shake the room and Crowson .

My System
post #1570 of 1588 Old 08-11-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
IIRC, on your pre/pro, the test tones are played back at whatever volume the MVC is set to. If the MVC is set at -20, the test tones will not be very loud, especially the subwoofer tone. If you want to "hear" the subwoofer when you play the subwoofer test tone, you need to turn up the MVC. To hear it at full Reference Level, you need to set the MVC to "0". However, I don't suggest doing that. Just turn itto -10 or -12 and you'll hear your sub on the test tones just fine. DO NOT change the subwoofer trim though or you'll lose the calibration.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #1571 of 1588 Old 08-11-2018, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OH.
OK Craig. That makes sense. It just seemed weird that's all. I am not changing the sub trim. But if I wanted to, could I experiment with the Atmos part pf my Atmos speaker just to see if I notice more of a difference? And then if I want, put it back to the original setting without losing the overall calibration?
craig john likes this.

My System
post #1572 of 1588 Old 08-11-2018, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Just write down all your settings, (Levels, Distances, Crossovers, etc.) BEFORE you change anything. There may be a way to "save" your current settings and get them back later, but I'm not sure how to do it. Check your manual for more info.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #1573 of 1588 Old 08-12-2018, 06:21 AM

You have an AV7702MkII, right? That model lets you save and restore its settings by using its Web interface to and from a computer. It has some problems though: some browsers work better than others, you have to disable "network on in standby" and cycle its power before doing a save, and once in a while the saveset is invalid and contains all zeros, so you have to check for that, too. When it works properly, saving and restoring each take about 10 minutes.

Despite all these issues, some people do it regularly when switching between Atmos and Auro-3D speaker configurations, for example.

Selden

post #1574 of 1588 Old 09-25-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Mike: After looking at your first post and the picture of the front of your room, looks to me like you have room on the front wall for about an 80" flat panel. Could be a great Christmas gift from you to you !!
post #1575 of 1588 Old 09-29-2018, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Mike: After looking at your first post and the picture of the front of your room, looks to me like you have room on the front wall for about an 80" flat panel. Could be a great Christmas gift from you to you !!
You're right Chuck. But it won't happen unless I get a great secret Santa .
TBH, I think I am getting more from the wide part of the speaker then the Atmos part of the speaker. That's fine though. It still sounds really good and at least I have a 7.1 system. I do hear sound more prominent in the back of the room though. But I can't tell if that is the Atmos speakers, or just the kick ass job Craig did calibrating my system including the rears. I need someone else to listen as well. Hopefully Craig and maybe someone else can come down for a listen. But I watched Deadpool 2 and thought it sounded really good.

My System

Last edited by MIkeDuke; 09-29-2018 at 03:06 PM.
post #1576 of 1588 Old 10-01-2018, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't know if anybody in here knows this, but there was an update to the 7702mkII but it was so fast for me to read that I could not see what it was. Anybody know what it was?
Thanks

My System
post #1577 of 1588 Old 10-02-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
I don't know if anybody in here knows this, but there was an update to the 7702mkII but it was so fast for me to read that I could not see what it was. Anybody know what it was?
Thanks
There have been updates recently for D&M's 2015 models (including the AV7702mkII) to support Dolby Vision. (Which is a higher quality alternative to the 4K video feature High Dynamic Range.) That might have been what you noticed.

Selden

post #1578 of 1588 Old 10-02-2018, 06:24 AM

Yup:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The remaining upper level 2015 Marantz models (SR6010, SR7010, AV7702MKII) received the DV/HLG/ALLM and Pandora fix updates today.
HLG = Hybrid Log Gamma (another alternative to HDR)
ALLM = Auto Low Latency Mode (for gamers)

Selden

post #1579 of 1588 Old 10-02-2018, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Selden. So my preamp now supports DV? That's cool. And HLG? Another video "thing". So at least my preamp and OPPO support DV. But my TV does not. I am OK with that though. I watched Star Trek Beyond 4k last night and it looked awesome so I am still satisfied with the video.
Thanks for letting me know.

My System
post #1580 of 1588 Old 11-03-2018, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Again, I know I don't post much any more because I don't have that much to say, unless it's Atmos related. Well, I just watched the DVD version of American Gangster. It is the last film I would expect to have a height feeling but it did. It sounded much better than I expected. I still have more movies to get and watch. Again, overall I finding out that it depends movie by movie. And of course AG was matrixed. And it still sounded good. I am interested in hearing how Sicario 2 sounds which is 4k and Atnos. So far so good. I do think it needs a bit of tweaking though, but I will leave that to Craig. Or maybe it's just the differences in movies. I wish I could do it the right way, but it just not work in my room. I also can't wait to check out Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. I hope that has a good soundtrack as well. I may have video questions but I would not know where to start with them. The video for 4k looks great to me so I will probably leave well enough alone.

My System
post #1581 of 1588 Old 11-06-2018, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Again, I know I don't post much any more because I don't have that much to say, unless it's Atmos related. Well, I just watched the DVD version of American Gangster. It is the last film I would expect to have a height feeling but it did. It sounded much better than I expected. I still have more movies to get and watch. Again, overall I finding out that it depends movie by movie. And of course AG was matrixed. And it still sounded good. I am interested in hearing how Sicario 2 sounds which is 4k and Atnos. So far so good. I do think it needs a bit of tweaking though, but I will leave that to Craig. Or maybe it's just the differences in movies. I wish I could do it the right way, but it just not work in my room. I also can't wait to check out Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. I hope that has a good soundtrack as well. I may have video questions but I would not know where to start with them. The video for 4k looks great to me so I will probably leave well enough alone.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom has an awesome sound mix.
post #1582 of 1588 Old 11-06-2018, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yea, I just watched it. It was mixed very well. Good detail all around and very nice bass. Even with my reflecting Atmos speakers, I got some height placement. I will give that one another watch for sure.

My System
post #1583 of 1588 Old 11-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Awesome setups
post #1584 of 1588 Old 11-10-2018, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks Max. Appreciate the props .

My System
post #1585 of 1588 Old 11-12-2018, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So I watched Sicario 2 over the weekend, And overall I was impressed. First the picture. I thought it looked great. It may not be real 4k but the detail was there for me. I was very pleased with how it looked. Overall I was pleased with the audio. Plenty of action and even a little overhead sounds from the helicopters. I would say it was a well done soundtrack. The only thing I though it was lacking was really great deep explosive bass. I mean it was good but not earth moving. But it is one that I will watch again for sure. Maybe a little louder next time. But as I said before, the Atmos was pretty good.

My System
post #1586 of 1588 Old 02-03-2019, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Craig, if you make it in here, maybe we can just watch an Atmos movie, or one that it up-converted and you can give me your thoughts. Also, maybe bring your stuff so if we need to adjust we can. But first, I would like to spend the day at your place listing to the way Atmos should be done. Do you mind doing that?
P.S @craig john

My System
post #1587 of 1588 Old 02-25-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I know this is still a thread for me, but I thought I would give an update. I told a friend about my color issue. My system is setup different from his though. Anyway, he did some research and found out that a Nivida Shield may fix my color issue. Well, it did. Now I have the shield setup connected to my Marantz. I am also using Plex instead of Jriver. The combo of Plex and the shield fixed my issue. Now 4k rips look fantastic. I can back to ripping again. And the whole setup is pretty easy to use. I am so glad I can rip 4k now. Still, getting that hash file and replacing it every once in awhile is a pain but I will deal with it. Anyway, I am %100 good to go now. I just wish I got a bit more Atmos feeling but it sounds fine to me and that's what matters.

My System
post #1588 of 1588 Old 07-05-2019, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I know it's just me, but that's OK. So it's been a while. I ripped about 20 4k disks. Makemkv made it so you don't have to do the separate hash file any more. You can set the program up to automatically go out and look for the file. It makes it so much easier now. So far, only Starwars The Last Jedi has still been a problem but I will still keep trying. 4k looks really good. Plus, it sounds good as well. Certain movies give more of Atmos feel but I am satisfied. And maybe, just maybe, I will at some point upgrade to a 65" instead pf my 55". But that won't be until sometime in 2020 at least. I am still happy with this setup. Of course I dream. Who doesn't. But I am still happy.

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Velodyne Sms 1 In Room Bass Correction Kit With Included Microphone , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Monster Signature Series Home Theater Reference Htps 7000 Mkii Powersource With Dual Balanced Pure P , Playstation 3 160gb System , Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page