craig john's theater - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #421 of 432 Old 07-24-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phamgia View Post
Thank you for your contributions in helping me and others in this forum.
He's been very helpful to me - spending my money !! But I would agree, he has been very generous with his posts on the forum and freely offering his experience and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 432 Old 07-24-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phamgia View Post
Hello Craig, you did a review on Earthquake Mkv-15 long time ago. Do you still have it? I've recently purchased two brand new Earthquake Mkv-12 for $575 each. I am just wondering if it was a good purchase or should I return them for a more popular subwoofers like SVS, HSU, or Monolith since I am still within the return window. Thank you.
PM sent.
Phamgia likes this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #423 of 432 Old 07-24-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
He's been very helpful to me - spending my money !! But I would agree, he has been very generous with his posts on the forum and freely offering his experience and advice.

Back to that, are we????

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 432 Old 07-24-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Back to that, are we????
Many times when I am in our theater and get to listen to those amazing speakers, I think about my trip to your home. So, yes, it was you who helped me spend my money - and worth every penny of it. I have said many times, as has the dealer I used, Triad speakers are one of the most un-recognized and under appreciated brands in audio.
post #425 of 432 Old 07-24-2019, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Many times when I am in our theater and get to listen to those amazing speakers, I think about my trip to your home. So, yes, it was you who helped me spend my money - and worth every penny of it. I have said many times, as has the dealer I used, Triad speakers are one of the most un-recognized and under appreciated brands in audio.

Lombardi said it:

My System
post #426 of 432 Old 09-30-2019, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 2308
Hey man, I saw the RS55 for sale w/ pics of it dismounted....please spill the beans. What did you/will you upgrade to? JVC RS/NX-something, I presume?
post #427 of 432 Old 09-30-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Hey man, I saw the RS55 for sale w/ pics of it dismounted....please spill the beans. What did you/will you upgrade to? JVC RS/NX-something, I presume?
Yes, an NX7. What a stunning projector. It's like having a 120" OLED! If my wife notices the difference, its a BIG difference. And she definitely noticed. She was talking about going to NYC for the US Open Tennis. After watching a couple of early round matches on the new pj, she said she wanted to stay home. We've been watching 4K movies too. The resolution and the color saturations are incredible. It's as big a leap as going from my old rear-projection 50" Pioneer TV to my first projector, a Sony VPL HS-20, 720p "HiDef" projector back in 2003.

BTW, a while back we talked about PLEX and sharing some files. Is that still a possibility? I now have a Roku Ultra with PLEX installed, but I haven't used it. Should I? Do I need a PC for file storage?

Craig

Lombardi said it:

My System
post #428 of 432 Old 09-30-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 2308
Quote:
Yes, an NX7. What a stunning projector. It's like having a 120" OLED! If my wife notices the difference, its a BIG difference. And she definitely noticed. She was talking about going to NYC for the US Open Tennis. After watching a couple of early round matches on the new pj, she said she wanted to stay home. We've been watching 4K movies too. The resolution and the color saturations are incredible. It's as big a leap as going from my old rear-projection 50" Pioneer TV to my first projector, a Sony VPL HS-20, 720p "HiDef" projector back in 2003.

BTW, a while back we talked about PLEX and sharing some files. Is that still a possibility? I now have a Roku Ultra with PLEX installed, but I haven't used it. Should I? Do I need a PC for file storage?

Craig

Great choice, Craig! Yeah, when the Mrs. recognizes any difference, it’s a monumental achievement! Are you looking at a Lumagen or MadVR Envy to take your 4k HDR to the next level? If not, you will soon!

Sure—I have a library of at least 50 or 60 demo scenes I’ve created (twelve of which you experienced at last year’s G2G) that are great for gauging audio and 4k/HDR performance. Once you sign up, email/PM/text me the email address you use to sign up and I’ll give you access to that library. I’d definitely recommend a NAS instead of a PC (I know the old Baetis used onboard storage but these days, the standalone NAS is the best way to take advantage of digital files if you plan to import your 4k discs). I’ve tried a 2013-era Synology and a Western Digital “user friendly” media NAS—neither were powerful enough for 4k. The only one that works well for full uncompressed 4k HDR and Atmos/DTS-x is the Western Digital PR4100. I know there are some newer Synologies (Audioguy has one) that also work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #429 of 432 Old 09-30-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Congrats on the new projector. That is quite a jump form the RS55 to the RS2000/NX7. And I do understand how our brides are usually not impressed with out HT upgrades, but mine was impressed with my original 4K Sony projector and my current one as well. In fact, even after having it for just over a year, she still comments on it. Try watching some of your 1080P concert videos. They will look spectacular as well.

As Brolic said, I am using a Synology NAS. I use it for storing my ripped movies, as a backup for my ripped music files and as a backup for our photo library. And other miscellaneous files as well. HERE is the model I have. And these are the drives I purchased: WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRX

After setting up the system for RAID backup, I ended up with about 22TB of usable space.

post #430 of 432 Old 10-01-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Great choice, Craig! Yeah, when the Mrs. recognizes any difference, it’s a monumental achievement! Are you looking at a Lumagen or MadVR Envy to take your 4k HDR to the next level? If not, you will soon!
Hi Matt. JVC is releasing a firmware update that adds "Frame Adaptive HDR" similar to what the Lumagen and MadVR are doing. That may be all I need to "take it to the next level." The update should be available later this month, so I'm gonna wait and see what it does before I spend any additional $$$.

Quote:
Sure—I have a library of at least 50 or 60 demo scenes I’ve created (twelve of which you experienced at last year’s G2G) that are great for gauging audio and 4k/HDR performance. Once you sign up, email/PM/text me the email address you use to sign up and I’ll give you access to that library. I’d definitely recommend a NAS instead of a PC (I know the old Baetis used onboard storage but these days, the standalone NAS is the best way to take advantage of digital files if you plan to import your 4k discs). I’ve tried a 2013-era Synology and a Western Digital “user friendly” media NAS—neither were powerful enough for 4k. The only one that works well for full uncompressed 4k HDR and Atmos/DTS-x is the Western Digital PR4100. I know there are some newer Synologies (Audioguy has one) that also work.
I'll try to sign up for PLEX this weekend. I'm busy every night this week so it ill have to wait until the weekend. Thanks!!

Lombardi said it:

My System
post #431 of 432 Old 10-01-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Congrats on the new projector. That is quite a jump form the RS55 to the RS2000/NX7. And I do understand how our brides are usually not impressed with out HT upgrades, but mine was impressed with my original 4K Sony projector and my current one as well. In fact, even after having it for just over a year, she still comments on it. Try watching some of your 1080P concert videos. They will look spectacular as well.

As Brolic said, I am using a Synology NAS. I use it for storing my ripped movies, as a backup for my ripped music files and as a backup for our photo library. And other miscellaneous files as well. HERE is the model I have. And these are the drives I purchased: WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD40EFRX

After setting up the system for RAID backup, I ended up with about 22TB of usable space.

Thanks Chuck! I'll look into this. Much appreciated!

Lombardi said it:

My System
post #432 of 432 Old 10-01-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Chuck! I'll look into this. Much appreciated!

The Synology has a Plex server app that can be downloaded to it which talks to the Plex Client located in my Nvidia Shield. The ONLY down side of the Nvidia/Plex combo is that it automatically up-converts everything to 4K but I want my Lumagen to do that. Not a HUGE deal, and if I am feeling particularly anal, I can either use Kodi on the Shield or play it through my Oppo 203.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page