craig john's theater - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 69Likes

post #511 of 537 Old 05-24-2020, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked: 4892
It makes no difference. The two I had in front were oriented with the drivers facing front and rear and the rear sub drivers faced across the room!! Just give the drivers facing the wall enough room to breath (maybe 4" or so)
Roger Dressler likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 05-25-2020 at 05:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 537 Old 05-25-2020, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Hi Chuck,

Did you have the SubM's oriented with drivers facing front/back or sideways? I'm thinking of getting them for the music attributes but they have to be sideways to fit. Does it even matter?
Not Chuck, but orientation of the Submersives is not an important criterion. The "acoustic center" of the SubM is the exact middle of the inside of the box and rotation around that center does not effect the propagation. Like Chuck, I LOVE the sound of the SubM's for music, (and for HT!) Mark Seaton has changed the amplifier and I don't think the new one uses the same DSP as the old one, so check that to be sure. Also, Mark recommends at least 2" to 4" of space around the drivers for "breathing room."

BTW, thanks for checking in to my thread!

Craig

Ooops... I see Chuck beat me to it!
Roger Dressler likes this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
My System (Edited Feb. 2020 to add 4K and Atmos updates)
post #513 of 537 Old 05-25-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I remember that transaction. Nice guys. I have swapped out a lot of equipment in the time I have been in this hobby. Virtually all made medium to huge improvements. Trading out the SubMersives was the absolute worst decision I have made. It was the opposite of an improvement. While the F18's are great subs, they are nowhere as good for music as are the SubMersives and the mid/upper bass is far superior to the F18. I can't tell you how much time (and money) I have spent trying to get the F18 to sound like a SubMersive.

And 16 seats in his theater? What are the room dimensions?
I have been chasing good Midbass for a while without the use of NF sub since I think NF can overcome the bass sound with TR (YMMV). I have built VBSS with PA460" drivers
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-036. I'm not a big DIY guy but build is so simple that I think anyone can do it. You build a 2-3 based on your needs and how your room responds to subs and you won't miss midbass. This VBSS+PA460 combo is amazing. Just to be clear, I had used other subs (Mini Marty......) in the same locations and VBSSS+PA460 made a BIG difference in midbass. If you want to step up the game then Devestators are the way to go. I have 2 of them now in my room and they can produce insane Midbass. Devastator is a little harder build but soooo worth it.

For Sale (2 Mini Marty with UXL Drivers)" https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...arty-2-nj.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 537 Old 05-25-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
I have been chasing good Midbass for a while without the use of NF sub since I think NF can overcome the bass sound with TR (YMMV). I have built VBSS with PA460" drivers
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-036. I'm not a big DIY guy but build is so simple that I think anyone can do it. You build a 2-3 based on your needs and how your room responds to subs and you won't miss midbass. This VBSS+PA460 combo is amazing. Just to be clear, I had used other subs (Mini Marty......) in the same locations and VBSSS+PA460 made a BIG difference in midbass. If you want to step up the game then Devestators are the way to go. I have 2 of them now in my room and they can produce insane Midbass. Devastator is a little harder build but soooo worth it.

Thanks. But I'm done with DIY. Built four SI 18's. The Seaton SubMersives are the benchmark (to my ears) of the best of both worlds. Best mid/upper bass I have heard and if you have enough of them (I currently have 8 Seaton F18's) then there is enough headroom to have some low shelf PEQ's to tune south of 50 Hz anyway you like.
post #515 of 537 Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I agree - The Seaton Submersives are the best sounding, most MUSICALLY accurate subwoofers I have heard yet. They are incredibly deep (down to 10 Hz measured in my room) and very "fast", meaning that I can easily hear both accurate pitch definition and timbre of bass notes. Accurate timbre means that I can easily tell a plucked acoustic upright bass apart from an electric bass, or the musical qualities of a tuba apart from a keyboard bass. When set up properly, there is no excess bass overhang, just great mid-bass punch and deep bass extension all from a single relatively compact subwoofer package.

I was happy to help install Craig's new screen on Saturday. It is very solidly mounted with Unistrut directly to the ceiling joists and 4 threaded rods down through the ceiling tiles suspending the screen, The whole system will probably hold 1,000 lbs, so its not coming down anytime soon! LOL The final mounting design also resulted in a much "cleaner" look too. I ended up machining a few custom spacers from 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock to allow a solid and flat surface to tighten the Unistrut and screen rails together, and they worked great.

I stuck around a while after Ryan left and helped Craig move all the Triad speakers back into place, and we measured everything to dial in the imaging perfectly. Acoustically, the speakers sounded as fantastic as I remembered them, and Craig hasn't even felt the need to re-run Audyssey yet.

I will also say that this new Seymour AV screen with the new 4K fabric and separate 16:9 masking is a very definite upgrade from his previous screen. Even though it is slightly smaller, I think it is sized better for the viewing distance. In combination with his new JVC projector, the image is bright and fantastic - getting very close in performance to a good OLED flat screen display in every way, except the black levels. I am anxious to see how good it can get once Ryan has a chance to calibrate the projector to the new screen. The image when projecting 4k HDR material was amazingly good already!
audioguy and chriscmore like this.

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!

Last edited by DMark1; 05-26-2020 at 08:01 AM.
post #516 of 537 Old 05-26-2020, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post
I agree - The Seaton Submersives are the best sounding, most MUSICALLY accurate subwoofers I have heard yet. They are incredibly deep (down to 10 Hz measured in my room) and very "fast", meaning that I can easily hear both accurate pitch definition and timbre of bass notes. Accurate timbre means that I can easily tell a plucked acoustic upright bass apart from an electric bass, or the musical qualities of a tuba apart from a keyboard bass. When set up properly, there is no excess bass overhang, just great mid-bass punch and deep bass extension all from a single relatively compact subwoofer package.

I was happy to help install Craig's new screen on Saturday. It is very solidly mounted with Unistrut directly to the ceiling joists and 4 threaded rods down through the ceiling tiles suspending the screen, The whole system will probably hold 1,000 lbs, so its not coming down anytime soon! LOL The final mounting design also resulted in a much "cleaner" look too. I ended up machining a few custom spacers from 1/4" thick aluminum bar stock to allow a solid and flat surface to tighten the Unistrut and screen rails together, and they worked great.

I stuck around a while after Ryan left and helped Craig move all the Triad speakers back into place, and we measured everything to dial in the imaging perfectly. Acoustically, the speakers sounded as fantastic as I remembered them, and Craig hasn't even felt the need to re-run Audyssey yet.

I will also say that this new Seymour AV screen with the new 4K fabric and separate 16:9 masking is a very definite upgrade from his previous screen. Even though it is slightly smaller, I think it is sized better for the viewing distance. In combination with his new JVC projector, the image is bright and fantastic - getting very close in performance to a good OLED flat screen display in every way, except the black levels. I am anxious to see how good it can get once Ryan has a chance to calibrate the projector to the new screen. The image when projecting 4k HDR material was amazingly good already!
Thanks for adding your comments Dennis. And for all your help with engineering the mounting system and the installation. It turned out better than I could imagine, and MUCH better than if I had done it myself.

I agree that the new, smaller screen size is better. Part of the improvement is the screen material, which is brighter than the old CenterStage, (non-XD) material. But I think part of the improvement is the smaller screen. I had calculated viewing angles prior to ordering the screen using the following formulae:

I sit 9.5' or 113" from the screen. Using the formula for a 40 degree, 16:9 Viewing Angle, (VA), = Viewing Distance, (VD), in inches x 0.84, results in a VA of 40 degrees with a 95" 16:9 screen. The diagonal size of my 16:9 image is 93".

Using the formula for 2.35:1, (VD x 0.95) yields a 107" screen for a 40 degree VA. My 2.35:1 screen is 115" diagonal so I'm closer to a 45 degree viewing angle for my favorite AR. It's completely immersive without being uncomfortable. I think it's actually a better size in my room, at my viewing distance than my old screen, which could cause some head turning and motion symptoms, (especially for my wife).

I wanted to get the room cleaned up before I reran Audyssey. I'm now ready to run it, and I'll get to it either tomorrow or the weekend.

Thanks again for all your help! I hope I can return the favor sometime soon when you start your theater!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
post #517 of 537 Old 05-26-2020, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3481 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
I sit 9.5' or 113" from the screen.

Using the formula for 2.35:1, (VD x 0.95) yields a 107" screen for a 40 degree VA. My 2.35:1 screen is 115" diagonal so I'm closer to a 45 degree viewing angle for my favorite AR.
Using my favorite Carton Bale calculator, you are enjoying a 50-deg VA.

How often do you need to raise the screen? Just wondering if a fixed screen would have worked.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #518 of 537 Old 05-26-2020, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Using my favorite Carton Bale calculator, you are enjoying a 50-deg VA.
Yes! Thank you!

Quote:
How often do you need to raise the screen? Just wondering if a fixed screen would have worked.
I sometimes raise the screen when listening to music, and of course when I need to get behind it for cleaning and maintenance or to change subwoofer settings. I considered a fixed screen, but I thought it would look awkward with a screen frame hanging free in the front of the room, and I would have still needed to come up with a mounting system. I also considered a false wall, but it would have meant redoing the entire front of the room, including flooring and the dropped ceiling. In the end, the retractable was the best alternative... for me.

If I ever "start over" I would do a baffle wall for the speakers and a false wall for the screen, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.

Craig
Roger Dressler and audioguy like this.

Lombardi said it:
post #519 of 537 Old 05-26-2020, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark1 View Post

You guys should have texted me, I would have came and helped! Next time...

Yamaha Aventage 3060, 7.2.4
Goldenear Triton 1's, Supercenter XXL, 4-MPX, 4-652
4-18" Ultimax's - 16 cu ft ported, 2 - Behringer NX6000's
JVC RS500 Pro, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD Blu-Ray Player
137" wide 16:9 V6 AT Screen
post #520 of 537 Old 05-27-2020, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAX2016 View Post
You guys should have texted me, I would have came and helped! Next time...
Thanks! I thought about calling you, but I figured 3 guys was the magic number. If you want to help someone, call Ryan. He's in the home stretch of his theater and it will be AWESOME! He may appreciate a second pair of hands...

Craig

Lombardi said it:
post #521 of 537 Old 06-03-2020, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Nice set-up Craig! I replaced/upgraded all my speakers and subs in the last few years with diy/custom options. The only holdouts are my four RSL c34e atmos speakers. I have them on my list to replace, but every time I listen to them I decide not to, they still sound great and integrate very well with my room. The only time I'm reminded that they're not in the same class as the rest of my system is when I look at trim levels and everything's deep in the minus while these are at +5.

Those $125 speakers are even more outclassed in your room with those awesome Triads! Are you planning on sticking with them or going in a different direction for atmos?

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.
post #522 of 537 Old 06-03-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
Nice set-up Craig! I replaced/upgraded all my speakers and subs in the last few years with diy/custom options. The only holdouts are my four RSL c34e atmos speakers. I have them on my list to replace, but every time I listen to them I decide not to, they still sound great and integrate very well with my room. The only time I'm reminded that they're not in the same class as the rest of my system is when I look at trim levels and everything's deep in the minus while these are at +5.

Those $125 speakers are even more outclassed in your room with those awesome Triads! Are you planning on sticking with them or going in a different direction for atmos?

I'm not Craig but I, too, use Triad Plats + Triad Silvers (and Triad Bronze) in my room (11.x.10) - and I have 7 of the RSL34E speakers in my ceiling. They are NOT outclassed by the Triads in terms of their function and performance. Yes, they are less efficient but it makes no difference for this application. With my processor, I have the ability to use a "solo" button that instantly mutes every other speaker other than the one I "soloed". The levels that go into the ceiling speakers must be AT LEAST 10dB to 20dB+ less than what goes into the LCRs. So the fact that they are about 6dB less efficient than my Plats makes zero difference and zero chance of them being over driven. Even if the difference were 10dB vs 6dB, the same still holds. But to give you some comfort if you are still nervous, you can either use a higher crossover and/or (depending on your SSP) a steeper high pass filter at the crossover. There is absolutely no reason to ever consider replacing those speakers other than for "bragging rights" - or because you have money burning a hole in your pocket and can't find anything else to spend it on.
lawdogx likes this.
post #523 of 537 Old 06-04-2020, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post

Quote:
I'm not Craig but I, too, use Triad Plats + Triad Silvers (and Triad Bronze) in my room (11.x.10) - and I have 7 of the RSL34E speakers in my ceiling. They are NOT outclassed by the Triads in terms of their function and performance. Yes, they are less efficient but it makes no difference for this application. With my processor, I have the ability to use a "solo" button that instantly mutes every other speaker other than the one I "soloed". The levels that go into the ceiling speakers must be AT LEAST 10dB to 20dB+ less than what goes into the LCRs. So the fact that they are about 6dB less efficient than my Plats makes zero difference and zero chance of them being over driven. Even if the difference were 10dB vs 6dB, the same still holds. But to give you some comfort if you are still nervous, you can either use a higher crossover and/or (depending on your SSP) a steeper high pass filter at the crossover. There is absolutely no reason to ever consider replacing those speakers other than for "bragging rights" - or because you have money burning a hole in your pocket and can't find anything else to spend it on.
Yup, what he said ^^^!

I will also refer you to a set of measurements I did to demonstrate the requirements for the overhead speakers. They show that deep LF extension and high output are not necessary requirements for Atmos overheads. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post59296984

I am perfectly content with my RSL C34e overhead speakers. Last night I watched the Eagles Farewell 1 Concert in DTS MA with Neural:X processing added. The overheads added a significant ambiance and immersiveness and they never were sounded strained or "unmatched" to my Triad Platinums or Silver Monitors. Besides audioguy, I know another Triad Plat user who also has RSL overheads. He plays his system SIGNIFICANTLY louder than I do. The RSL don't sound strained or distorted in his system either!

I have no reason or incentive to upgrade my RSL's. They work perfectly for their application.

Craig
lawdogx and BrolicBeast like this.

Lombardi said it:
post #524 of 537 Old 06-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Thanks @craig john and @audioguy , interesting to see the data backing up what I'm hearing ... I will look elsewhere to scratch the upgade-itis itch

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.
post #525 of 537 Old 06-05-2020, 03:46 AM

As a result of reading these last few posts about the viability of the RSL 34E for Atmos use, I re-read (should not have - bad for the heart) the interchange with Terry on his choice to spend close the $30,000 for an Atmos upgrade. And after re-reading it (and the ludicrous responses from both Wolf Hill and Triad) I am so disappointed with Triad. While their products are phenomenal, their integrity clearly is not. They should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of Terry as they have. And if I knew of a place to post it, I would blast Wolf Hill. Terry has been a loyal client of theirs for a long time and that they would take such advantage of him borders on criminal. Terry admits over and over again that he is not very knowledgeable on technical matters so he has no choice to be rely on others for his purchase decisions.

Rant (almost) over. If I were starting today, I would no longer ever consider Triad. As much as I love my system and specifically their speakers, and as many times as I have recommended them to others, that kind of business practice I find totally unacceptable. And as for Wolf Hill, .......

Rant NOW officially over. (and sorry for cluttering up your thread).
BP1Fanatic likes this.
post #526 of 537 Old 06-05-2020, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 408
It is criminal. They ripped him off like an used car dealer.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #527 of 537 Old 06-05-2020, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 5048 Post(s)
Liked: 3057
Quote:
As a result of reading these last few posts about the viability of the RSL 34E for Atmos use, I re-read (should not have - bad for the heart) the interchange with Terry on his choice to spend close the $30,000 for an Atmos upgrade. And after re-reading it (and the ludicrous responses from both Wolf Hill and Triad) I am so disappointed with Triad. While their products are phenomenal, their integrity clearly is not. They should be ashamed of themselves for taking advantage of Terry as they have. And if I knew of a place to post it, I would blast Wolf Hill. Terry has been a loyal client of theirs for a long time and that they would take such advantage of him borders on criminal. Terry admits over and over again that he is not very knowledgeable on technical matters so he has no choice to be rely on others for his purchase decisions.

Rant (almost) over. If I were starting today, I would no longer ever consider Triad. As much as I love my system and specifically their speakers, and as many times as I have recommended them to others, that kind of business practice I find totally unacceptable. And as for Wolf Hill, ......[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/IMG].

Though, sadly, this is what passes for customer service in luxury audio these days. It's not just Wolf Hill (apt name) and Triad. They will take advantage of those with money to burn and little technical skill and/or knowledge to challenge them or ask tough questions. You see this a lot at trade shows with multiple hungry dealers and high end manufacturers too.

That's not an excuse, that's just a fact.

I still like Triad speakers (I own some), but like with anything you have to know what your money is getting you.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #528 of 537 Old 06-05-2020, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:

Rant (almost) over. If I were starting today, I would no longer ever consider Triad. As much as I love my system and specifically their speakers, and as many times as I have recommended them to others, that kind of business practice I find totally unacceptable. And as for Wolf Hill, .......

I agree completely! However, I think this customer bears a large share of responsibility also. In the face of all reason, he was more interested in posting pictures of the proposals, even going so far as to show the ones he was rejecting because they didn't cost enough. He was more interested in showing he *could* spend the money than in considering the knowledge and evidence provided to him. In the end, Wolf Hill and Triad simply did what he asked, (as unconscionable as that may have been.)

Personally, I am less favorably inclined toward Triad because they won't provide the most basic of measurements of their speakers. Their insistence on protecting their "secret sauce" and having that outweigh customer service, is beyond the pale.

If I were starting over, and I wasn't able to see measurements of their speakers, Triad would be off my list. Of course, their business model of selling primarily to CI's is not my preferred plan, so I am not a great match for them anyway. Nonetheless, I am certainly less enamored of their company and business practices than I used to be. (I still like my Plat's though.)

Craig

Lombardi said it:
post #529 of 537 Old 06-05-2020, 12:59 PM

^^ When you are finally able to make it down here, I will want you to hear a HT in Atlanta. A calibration client of mine will have 12 Seaton F18's (currently a mere 8 of them), and Wisdom line source speakers all around and, of course, the Trinnov --- AND a fully passively treated room (easily the most important piece of the puzzle). The bad news: it will sound better than your (and my) room. As awesome as vocals are on the Plats, the Wisdom's take it up a notch - or three. And these are by far not the most expensive Wisdom speakers - but pricey nonetheless !!

There is a also a guy who lives 15 minutes from me with what may be the best 2 channel system I have heard. He has Magico + Seaton Subs [2 SubMersives in the rear and two of Mark's dual 18 ported in the front). And a room treatment plan like you have never seen.

As for the guy who WAY over bought for his Atmos setup, I will try and let that drop (at least until such time as I again stumble across a copy of that unbelievable invoice he shared). Not good for my blood pressure.
post #530 of 537 Old 06-05-2020, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Lol!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #531 of 537 Old 06-30-2020, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Nice info on the upgrade Craig. I can't wait to see and hear it for myself.

My System https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...2ch-setup.html
It ain't easy being green.
post #532 of 537 Old 07-02-2020, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2405
Quote:
If I ever "start over" I would do a baffle wall for the speakers and a false wall for the screen, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.

Keep talking to @audioguy and this might change. You two have been spending each other’s money since at least 2009! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
craig john likes this.
post #533 of 537 Old 07-02-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Keep talking to @audioguy and this might change. You two have been spending each other’s money since at least 2009! :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Not sure how I helped him spend his money. What he helped me with was to make a major and most excellent decision on speakers. My change to the Trinnov came from the Trinnov thread. The change to the RS4500 can from the RS4500 thread, etc. You helped me with the Nvidia Shield/Plex choice. All good. I have no more space in my rack for equipment and no more room in the theater for more speakers. The only change I would still like to make is to replace my masking system with one that has acoustically transparent masks and them put my L&R behind the screen. But that is a huge amount of effort and no small amount of money - and that doesn't include the expenses for a divorce attorney !!

I am still trying to come up with a way to move my L&R speakers a bit more toward the front wall. We have purchased some bar chairs and a (temporary) bar. It is a bit crowded back there so would like to move my seating up but to do that means I have to move the L&R speakers. That will all wait until I figure out the best and least expensive way to do it! Or not do it!!
post #534 of 537 Old 07-02-2020, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Not sure how I helped him spend his money. What he helped me with was to make a major and most excellent decision on speakers. My change to the Trinnov came from the Trinnov thread. The change to the RS4500 can from the RS4500 thread, etc. You helped me with the Nvidia Shield/Plex choice. All good. I have no more space in my rack for equipment and no more room in the theater for more speakers. The only change I would still like to make is to replace my masking system with one that has acoustically transparent masks and them put my L&R behind the screen. But that is a huge amount of effort and no small amount of money - and that doesn't include the expenses for a divorce attorney !!

I am still trying to come up with a way to move my L&R speakers a bit more toward the front wall. We have purchased some bar chairs and a (temporary) bar. It is a bit crowded back there so would like to move my seating up but to do that means I have to move the L&R speakers. That will all wait until I figure out the best and least expensive way to do it! Or not do it!!
I can help you push those speakers back when I come down there!

Now that I'm RETIRED we'll make that work soon!

Craig

Lombardi said it:
post #535 of 537 Old 07-02-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I can help you push those speakers back when I come down there!

Now that I'm RETIRED we'll make that work soon!

Craig

Mr. Retired: The actual moving of the speakers is not the issue. There is a door to the left of the screen AND a "fake cosmetic panel door in front of the real door" that opens into the room. That will have to be redone in order make it work. Though the fake door is just for aesthetics, I want to figure out the solution before I move the speakers. Once you are here, you will see what I am talking about.
post #536 of 537 Old 07-03-2020, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Mr. Retired: The actual moving of the speakers is not the issue.
I was hoping you would see the "Big Grin" emoji and realize I was joking.

Quote:
There is a door to the left of the screen AND a "fake cosmetic panel door in front of the real door" that opens into the room. That will have to be redone in order make it work. Though the fake door is just for aesthetics, I want to figure out the solution before I move the speakers. Once you are here, you will see what I am talking about.
Is it door #1 :

Or door #2 :

Edit: Just realized you said "to the left of the screen." So it's door #1. That leads to your equipment room, right?

Can you accommodate a "pocket door"?

Lombardi said it:
post #537 of 537 Old 07-03-2020, 12:11 PM

Craig: A sliding "door" could be an alternative. But the REAL door is not the issue so much as the fabric covered frame that swings into the room so that the left and right side of the screen "match" cosmetically.

The image you selected only shows the real door, but as you can see in my attached image, it has the fabric covered frame so that the left and right side of the screen match cosmetically. I will investigate how I might make that a sliding fabric covered frame instead of one that open INTO the room (but with the speaker being moved back, would not be able to).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftDoor.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	2752466  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page