Interesting experimental system setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-11-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Every now and then I like trying new setup arrangements, usually to discover that the idea is total FAIL (the hard way). Fortunately, this time around, I got results worth sharing.

This is a small bedroom set-up. I'm using a 9.1 AVR with the +2 speakers being used for height. I am using high definition (ultra high-fi) full-range speakers for the front, center, and surround speakers (all same brand and series). I'm using traditional surround (cheaper) speakers fort height and rears (same brand and make). For the sub, I am using a very good powered sub that members have have recommended that is very-well suited for small rooms and covers all the audiable lower frequencies at equal high levels.

The rear and height speakers are hung on the walls. The rear speakers are at ear level directly behind the bed (which is against that wall), making these speakers just a foot or less from the listening position. Sitting on ear-level shelves, the surround speakers are about five feet from the listening position, placed 180 degrees at opposite end and directly face the respective ears of the listener. In front of the listening position, about eight feet feet there is a big (80") high definition projection screen. The bottom level of the screen is about a foot above the top level of the bed. At the bottom level of the screen is the center speaker. About three inches from both the ceiling and the top level of the TV are the height speakers, horizontally placed directly below the floor-standing left/right speakers (which are about an inch to the left and right of the horizontal plane of the TV).

Now, here's where I got creative. Placed directly under the bed and directly below the listening position, I installed an unpowered subwoofer that filters and plays sound frequencies below that of 120Hz (sourced out of two separate channel inputs), while passing the rest (above 120Hz) to its respective speaker outputs. This is for the rear channels, placed below the bed and horizontally places in the center between the rear spaekers and directly under the listening position.

I have the AVR set for THX Ultra Select 2 Cinema and Dolby Pro Logic IIZ. The crossovers on all the channels are set for 80Hz, even the rears (which means that only frequencies 80-120Hz play out from the unpowered subwoofer positioned under the listening position). The result is a crisp ultra-real sounding environment. This is especially suited for horror or thriller genre movies, as the action moves closer and closer the listening position. Not only is heard, it is felt in a very dramatic way that is sure to get emotional responses. Not even movie theater sound systems achieve this feeling of off-stage close proximity.

I tested this this with Tron Legacy (7.1 DTS Master HD on BD) and I was literally blown away! Words can not describe. I felt like I was on a Disney flight simulator. Wow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page