AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   What's Your System Configuration (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/)
-   -   Gorilla83's Humble Basement Hangout (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/1428456-gorilla83s-humble-basement-hangout.html)

Gorilla83 09-08-2012 05:01 PM

Updated 8/21/14:

Now that I've finally gotten most of this room roughed out, I figured it was time to post some pictures and some basic info. As my wife can attest, this room is a constantly evolving projecting - the setup is subject to change at any given day, haha. This is the 3rd listening/media room in my house and the most recent. There are 5 total rooms in my house with audio/video setups in the house ranging from the garage to this room, but this is my favorite so far. I'll post up some info on the other rooms sometime soon.

The room before - light yellow paint, shelving in the corners, Mitsu 65" DLP, basic Polk Monitor 70 setup, HK receiver, etc.

https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49352/flags/LL

Setup as of today:

A few months ago the wife and I decided we wanted to change to a projector. At first, this was going to be a simple ceiling mounted install that would be a directly replacement for the DLP you see above. The project evolved into removing the shelves, restructuring the corner frame/drywall, paint (entire basement!), new dedicated 20A lines for the equipment, remote triggered relays, moving furniture, new decorations, etc. I'm sure MANY of you can relate!

Notes: While I'd like to do something with the ceiling, converting to black is likely not practical since this is a multi purpose room.

Viewing area: (open) 13x22
Bar area: 19x22
Hallway: 5x20
2 other rooms are in the basement comprised of a a gym/play area and a workroom

Electronics:
Receiver - Denon 4311ci
Media - Sonos Connect, Oppo 93, Sony PS3, Roku 3 HD, Verizon FIOS HD DVR
Power - Panamax 4400 20A Conditioner/Surge protection X 2
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen - Falcon framed AT screen using Seymour XD fabric, 133" in 16:9
Sub Amps - Peavey IPR7500 x 1, Inuke 6000DSP x 1, driven by remote triggered relays in utility room.
Mains amp: Sherbourn A7-350 7 channel
EQ - MiniDSP 10x10

Speakers:
Mains - Yorkville U215B
Center - Yorkvillle U215B
Surrounds - JBL 8340A
Subwoofers - 4 x Dual opposed Stereo Integriy D4 18's up front, 2 x SI18 D4's in rear/nearfield (10 total SI 18" drivers)

Room Treatments - DIY
All treatments 4" thick 3# rigid fiberboard with 1x4 frame and covered with black speaker cloth. Most are 2x4' in size.
Front wall floor to ceiling coverage 4" thick semi-rigid fiberglass
3 X rear corner bass traps (floor to ceiling)
7 X side wall traps
Ceiling - 1 foot thick R38 above tiles over entire ceiling, Certainteed Theater Black F ceiling tiles


Other:
Custom Riser 9'3" wide x 6'6" deep, 10" tall
Custom Equipment cabinets x 2
Omnimount Projector Mount
Dayton Omnimic V2
Euroboom Mic Stand - for room sweeps
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote
Monoprice 12gauge oxygen free speaker cable (all)
Monoprice Coaxial cables
Monoprice Wall plates, assorted

Gym area
2 X Crown XLS2000
Behringer B212XL x 2
JBL MPro 418S x 2
DBX Driverack PA2 EQ
Numark M2 Mixer

Pictures from 2012 when the room was set up

Corner 'shelves' removed and bases cut down and reframed:
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49353/flags/LL

Wall sealed and primered
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49354/flags/LL

Room after paint - Sherwin williams Flat black and Harbor Grey Sides
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49355/flags/LL

Corner area made into custom speaker stands, flat black
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49356/flags/LL

Screen assembly
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49357/flags/LL
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49358/flags/LL
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49359/flags/LL


Projector hung, near flush mount
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49360/flags/LL

Custom wallplate behind rack
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49361/flags/LL

Screen hung on the wall
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49362/flags/LL


Main view of the room

https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49363/flags/LL
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49364/flags/LL

Bar area leading into theater
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49365/flags/LL
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49366/flags/LL

Screen
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49367/flags/LL
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49368/flags/LL

Equipment rack
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49369/flags/LL

Back hallway
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49370/flags/LL
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49371/flags/LL

Gym area
https://www.avsforum.com/content/type...49372/flags/LL

carp 09-08-2012 06:03 PM

Nice, love it Gorilla!! So the room is actually 44 feet long if you include the bar area? Am I reading that right? Wow.

I might have missed it, how far back is your main seating? Your screen is about the size of mine in 16:9, mine is 124". I'm a little under 14 feet from the screen so I'm curious about you.

Love the workout room, great looking cage, free weights and dumbbells. I wish I had a room to have a setup like that. I see you actually have it setup for squats. In my old age I've pretty much given up on legs and only do upper body. Chicken legs rule.

Gorilla83 09-08-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Nice, love it Gorilla!! So the room is actually 44 feet long if you include the bar area? Am I reading that right? Wow.
I might have missed it, how far back is your main seating? Your screen is about the size of mine in 16:9, mine is 124". I'm a little under 14 feet from the screen so I'm curious about you.
Love the workout room, great looking cage, free weights and dumbbells. I wish I had a room to have a setup like that. I see you actually have it setup for squats. In my old age I've pretty much given up on legs and only do upper body. Chicken legs rule.

Thanks man! Yes, the room is indeed 44 feet long so it's quite a space to fill. As you can imagine, bass is sucked up pretty easily. Right now I'm sitting about 18 feet back, but may be moving the primary seating up a few feet.

The gym is actually 2 separate rooms - the other room has mostly accessory and cardio equipment. As a powerlifer, unfortunately I'm forced to keep up with squatting, ugh. It's fun most of the time but it sure takes its toll with age.

MIkeDuke 09-08-2012 08:28 PM

Wow, that is quite the room you have there. it looks very well setup from the pictures. Just so you know, I still hate all you guys with really big screens tongue.gif. Having the GTG there should be a fun time.

Bunga99 09-08-2012 08:33 PM

This room and all the gear looks excellent!! I think you did a terrific job on everything! Very nicely done!cool.gif

Scout's staff 09-09-2012 06:50 AM

Very nice room - regarding the white ceiling and the desire not to darken it. Have you thought about just changing the first 2 rows above the screen? Perhaps try covering them with a dark cloth to see if there is a noticeable improvement.

Again, great job on the room.smile.gif

carp 09-09-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Thanks man! Yes, the room is indeed 44 feet long so it's quite a space to fill. As you can imagine, bass is sucked up pretty easily. Right now I'm sitting about 18 feet back, but may be moving the primary seating up a few feet.
The gym is actually 2 separate rooms - the other room has mostly accessory and cardio equipment. As a powerlifer, unfortunately I'm forced to keep up with squatting, ugh. It's fun most of the time but it sure takes its toll with age.

I started at 16.5 feet and am now at just under 14 feet away. Cheapest way to upgrade my screen size. biggrin.gif

Assuming the 83 means you are still just shy of 30 you should be just now coming into your prime as far as powerlifting goes right? Sadly I've got a decade on you... frown.gif

Reefdvr27 09-09-2012 08:32 AM

148 Attachment(s)
Looks good Rilla!!! What time should I be over for the Eagles game??

JimWilson 09-09-2012 08:57 AM

Nice bar too. I know where I'm going to be parking my @ss now... tongue.gif

Gorilla83 09-09-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Wow, that is quite the room you have there. it looks very well setup from the pictures. Just so you know, I still hate all you guys with really big screens tongue.gif. Having the GTG there should be a fun time.

Thanks! I expect the GTG to be a blast and I'm happy to have the room ready in advance. There is still some tweaking to be done, but overall I'm happy with the progress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

This room and all the gear looks excellent!! I think you did a terrific job on everything! Very nicely done!cool.gif

Thank you Bunga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff View Post

Very nice room - regarding the white ceiling and the desire not to darken it. Have you thought about just changing the first 2 rows above the screen? Perhaps try covering them with a dark cloth to see if there is a noticeable improvement.
Again, great job on the room.smile.gif

Thank you! I'm thinking about doing some experimenting with a black sheet/cloth for now to see the impact on the picture. I may head over to the fabric store sometime in the next few weeks. My only fear is that if I change only the first few rows it won't look right with the rest of the room. Changing the panels sure is easy enough though, so no issue there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

I started at 16.5 feet and am now at just under 14 feet away. Cheapest way to upgrade my screen size. biggrin.gif
Assuming the 83 means you are still just shy of 30 you should be just now coming into your prime as far as powerlifting goes right? Sadly I've got a decade on you... frown.gif

Yep, I'll be 30 in January and *hopefully* have some good years ahead to set some personal bests.

As for the seating - If/when I build risers and stagger the sofa/loveseat, the first row will be 14-16' away and the second row around 20-21. Good news is acoustically there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between 18 (Current LP) and 16'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Looks good Rilla!!! What time should I be over for the Eagles game??

Thank you! Actually, I'm watching game day live right now and you're more than welcome to come by for this game or any others. biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Nice bar too. I know where I'm going to be parking my @ss now... tongue.gif

Thanks Jim, the bar is a favorite of mine as well. I'm thinking we'll put it to good use at the GTG. smile.gif

BrolicBeast 09-09-2012 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a great system. I especially like the corner speaker stands that currently hold your caps! Very well executed room. Remember, no curling the captivators! cool.gif With your DefTech towers w. built in subs, do you use a crossover, or do you run them as "Full Range?"

Gorilla83 09-09-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

This is a great system. I especially like the corner speaker stands that currently hold your caps! Very well executed room. Remember, no curling the captivators! cool.gif With your DefTech towers w. built in subs, do you use a crossover, or do you run them as "Full Range?"

Thank you sir. The stands were pretty well reinforced to hold the weight of the caps easily. I can stand on them now with the subs too with no stress at all. cool.gif

As for the deftechs - running them as small and crossed at 80hz allowed them to best integrate with the rest of the system.

Ryansboston 09-11-2012 08:03 PM

Wow! Awesome set up man!! I would have never guessed the LP was 18 feet away; the room looks "small"(er) in the pictures due to the ginormous screen and huge pieces of furniture you have in there. I wish I had that much dedicated room for my setup frown.gif
Nice gym set up too.. My "gym" consists of adjustable weight in the same room as my tv and surround set up..

Can't wait for the GTG, it's gonna be fun. I'm with Jim, I'll be sitting right at that sweet bar for a good amount of time even if it's not an optimum listening position haha.

JimWilson 09-11-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post

I'm with Jim, I'll be sitting right at that sweet bar for a good amount of time even if it's not an optimum listening position haha.

Since when is sitting at the bar not the optimum position? Just don't take my spot, or it will get ugly! biggrin.gif

Gorilla83 09-12-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansboston View Post

Wow! Awesome set up man!! I would have never guessed the LP was 18 feet away; the room looks "small"(er) in the pictures due to the ginormous screen and huge pieces of furniture you have in there. I wish I had that much dedicated room for my setup frown.gif
Nice gym set up too.. My "gym" consists of adjustable weight in the same room as my tv and surround set up..
Can't wait for the GTG, it's gonna be fun. I'm with Jim, I'll be sitting right at that sweet bar for a good amount of time even if it's not an optimum listening position haha.

Thanks Ryan. I've been really enjoying the room (every night!) so far. I'm completely excited for the GTG as well, looking forward to hosting you guys.

Update to the setup - The miniDSP is now installed. For now I've simply applied a 19hz HPF to keep the Caps from making ugly noises below tune. This weekend I'm going to run some Omnimic sweeps again to see if any other tweaking is needed. I'd also like to experiment with the subs in 15hz tune again.

Gorilla83 10-08-2012 06:51 AM

Updates! I've begun building the frames for my bass traps/panels. The first areas to be treated with the front corners and first reflection points. I'm supposed to receive my OC703 board sometime this week, so I should have at least a few of them up and running this weekend!

Frames built and burlap backing applied:
IMG_0751.jpg
IMG_0753.jpg

Mount installed and test fit in the corner:
IMG_0752.jpg

The front 3 speakers have also been swapped for SHO-10s. biggrin.gif

MIkeDuke 10-09-2012 08:09 AM

Nice looking trap. So you are building your own? I bought mine from GIK. They worked great for me. Besides the front corners, where else are you planning on putting them. Once you get them all in place you will probably have to re-do the EQ in your system. But it will be worth the effort.

Gorilla83 10-09-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Nice looking trap. So you are building your own? I bought mine from GIK. They worked great for me. Besides the front corners, where else are you planning on putting them. Once you get them all in place you will probably have to re-do the EQ in your system. But it will be worth the effort.

Thanks Mike. Yes, I'm building my own and I've got plenty of material to built a bunch of them! I think I have enough for 7-8 traps/panels to start with. I looked at buying from GIK or ATS, but the frames are so easy to build. This way I can also custom size them if I need to as well - which I will have to in some areas. First areas to be treated will be the front corners, rear corner by the LP, first reflection points, and probably some insulation above the ceiling/wall perimeter. I should have 2-4 of them done by the GTG so you can check them out. I don't mind re-EQ'ing as i'm constantly tweaking and experimenting with different setups anyway. tongue.gif

Project list, upcoming:
1) Finish front L&R bass traps
2) Reinstall white trip under corner stands
2) Build Speaker stands for the SHO-10s
3) Experiment with the JTR caps positioned mid wall
4) Continue with room treatment building for first reflection points and rear corners

MIkeDuke 10-09-2012 10:35 AM

I have 8 in my small room and I think that did the trick for me. I still want to check out one more possible space for some small traps but I will need someone else's input for that. Going from no or limited treatments to a treated room will really make a big difference. I was really not prepared for the eek.gif moment when they were all in place.

Gorilla83 10-09-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I have 8 in my small room and I think that did the trick for me. I still want to check out one more possible space for some small traps but I will need someone else's input for that. Going from no or limited treatments to a treated room will really make a big difference. I was really not prepared for the eek.gif moment when they were all in place.

Did you do them all at the same time? I imagine that would be a drastic change! My walls right now are completely uncovered and there is a substantial amount of reverb/echo on the room. I'm hoping it will be a substantial upgrade!

MIkeDuke 10-09-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Did you do them all at the same time? I imagine that would be a drastic change! My walls right now are completely uncovered and there is a substantial amount of reverb/echo on the room. I'm hoping it will be a substantial upgrade!
Yep. All at one time. I figured do it once and be done I had someone do it for me. If your walls are completely bare now, you will notice a very big change. I put them in the front corners, front wall, back wall and right above my head. The change was very dramatic. Don't neglect your ceiling, I was told by the guys at GIK that it is very important to treat that as well. When you get them all up. you will finally hear what your system really sounds like. It's a cool experience. 8 would be a starting point. Depending on room size and possible location you may want to experiment with more since you make your own, But start with 8, take some measurements and see how it goes from there.

Gorilla83 10-09-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Yep. All at one time. I figured do it once and be done I had someone do it for me. If your walls are completely bare now, you will notice a very big change. I put them in the front corners, front wall, back wall and right above my head. The change was very dramatic. Don't neglect your ceiling, I was told by the guys at GIK that it is very important to treat that as well. When you get them all up. you will finally hear what your system really sounds like. It's a cool experience. 8 would be a starting point. Depending on room size and possible location you may want to experiment with more since you make your own, But start with 8, take some measurements and see how it goes from there.

I'm going to knock out the front corners and probably the bottom wall/floor area behind the center channel hopefully by this weekend. I'm also thinking (per Ethan's recommendation) of stuffing some R-38 above the tiles in my ceiling around the wall/ceiling perimeter. Supposed to be very effective and it's relatively inexpensive too.

Gorilla83 10-10-2012 05:23 AM

OK - Got a bit done last night! My fiberboard got delivered and went to work. 2 traps done, 2-4 more coming up this weekend. smile.gif Figured I would share, here is the progress:

Details:
1x4 pine board for frame, 1.5" drywall screws
Black burlap backing for rear of trap. This was 2.99/yard locally at JoAnn fabrics and was something like 32" wide.
Johns Mansville 814 2" Board x 2 per trap. Pretty much identical to OC703. I actually ordered OC703 but they wound up giving me this stuff. After some research I found it actually has slightly better absorbtion coefficients across the board vs. OC703. It comes in a 9 pack of 2x4x2" panels instead of the normal 12/pack in the OC703.
Black speaker grill fabric from JoAnn fabric - I liked the look/feel of this a LOT better than the burlap. It was 8.99/yard locally at JoAnn fabircs. It was much wider than the burlap at 60" wide so I got a lot more out of it per yard. It took less than 1 yard per trap to cover the front/sides. It also masks the yellow insulation much better too.

1 trap stuffed with 4" of board:
IMG_0757.jpg

Back side of stuffed trap - burlap backing:
IMG_0759.jpg

First (prototype) completed trap:
IMG_0760.jpg


Special thanks to my wife who helped me get them wrapped. I did warn her that this is only the beginning, LOL.
Tada - two completed traps!
IMG_0763.jpg

JimWilson 10-10-2012 07:15 AM

Ya know, you really should stop sitting on your butt and start preparing for this GTG. It's only 1.5 weeks away. tongue.gif

Your wife must think this is all nuts, and that we are too. Speaking of your wife... does she have a sweet tooth, or like wine perhaps? I was thinking about bringing down something for her.

Gorilla83 10-10-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Ya know, you really should stop sitting on your butt and start preparing for this GTG. It's only 1.5 weeks away. tongue.gif
Your wife must think this is all nuts, and that we are too. Speaking of your wife... does she have a sweet tooth, or like wine perhaps? I was thinking about bringing down something for her.

Jim - I know I have been slacking. I will try to step it up in the next week. biggrin.gif Yes, my wife does think I'm crazy but lucky for me she seems to have accepted that fact. She does like wine but you really don't have to go through the trouble. I will have to figure out how to thank her for giving me the house all day/night though, heh.

wkingincharge 10-10-2012 04:45 PM

I must say your space looks great as well as those room treatments!! wish I had the build space and know how to do them up that nice and once you get them installed prepare to be impressed. By the way I am following the sub gtg and look forward to hearing the results as I have a favorite participant and am curious how the crowd likes it compared to me.

Gorilla83 10-11-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

I must say your space looks great as well as those room treatments!! wish I had the build space and know how to do them up that nice and once you get them installed prepare to be impressed. By the way I am following the sub gtg and look forward to hearing the results as I have a favorite participant and am curious how the crowd likes it compared to me.

Thanks for the kind word. I'm hoping to have a few more updates this weekend sometime. The shipment of panels I received was 9 pieces instead of the 12 I originally ordered, so I'm looking to get another 9 this week or next to complete my panels for now. We're all excited for the GTG and hopefully we'll have some valuable feedback for the community.

Gorilla83 10-15-2012 05:28 AM

Ok, UPDATE. Put in a ton of work this weekend around the house and of course including the basement. I really need to take some better pictures other than my camera phone, ugh. Sorry for the crappy pics below. tongue.gif

Key basement accomplishments:

1) Built speaker stands for SHO-10s:
Picture before they were stained black -
IMG_0772.jpg

2) Reinstalled top trim for L/R speaker stands and painted them black.

3) Cleaned up terminals/wiring under each speaker stand. Moved Caps down from the stands for now. Did some quick sweeps with the Caps in front of the stands and the FR is tremendously improved. They will be staying there from now on.

4) Started playing with/breaking in the PSA XS15 in time for next weekend's GTG.

5) Constructed a total of (8) frames for bass traps. I completed all 4 front corner traps with insulation and wrap. I did run out of the speaker cloth material so I couldn't fully complete the others, but I'm getting more on Wednesday. cool.gif

Frames for rear corner:
IMG_0779.jpg

Front of the room - please don't mind the wiring exposed for now - it will not be staying there. eek.gif I think the traps blend in rather well though.
IMG_0782.jpg
IMG_0786.jpg

JimWilson 10-15-2012 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Front of the room - please don't mind the wiring exposed for now - it will not be staying there. eek.gif I think the traps blend in rather well though.

What traps? I don't see any? tongue.gif

MIkeDuke 10-15-2012 06:49 AM

Nice. If I missed it sorry, but how big is your screen?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.