Frohlich's new home theater (his man cave and her not so man cave) - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #271 of 292 Old 11-01-2017, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Haven't been here in a while. Love your new stuff (speakers and projector). Looks great - and I am sure sounds great as well. Curious on why the small riser under the center channel which raises the tweeter/mids above the left and right?

Thank you for the kind comments.

Yeah, the new Seymour XD screen just came in this week and the new XBOX one X is coming next week. Then my 4K journey will be complete.

As to the small riser, that is just shear laziness. It is a remnant of when I built the room 5 years ago and had a fixed screen attached to the wall and center channel was laid horizontally below the screen. When I converted to an AT screen I was just too lazy to change it so I just put the full size speaker on top of the stand
COACH2369 and BrolicBeast like this.

Last edited by Frohlich; 11-01-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 292 Old 12-03-2018, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Time for my annual Christmas upgrade update. Just got a Sony 695 projector and swapped the Oppo for the Panny 820 (for the tone mapping). Also made a few cosmetic upgrades to the front of the room and ceiling to try and help with contrast.

COACH2369, SBuger, JSKMDWK and 3 others like this.
post #273 of 292 Old 12-03-2018, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 333
[email protected], so you are not getting the JVC RS2000/N7 anymore?

Femi

(2)JTR Cap 4000's---(6) Enclosures Seal SI HT-18's---Behringer iNUKE 6000DSP--- Behringer iNUKE 3000DSP---Denon AVR-4250CI---(3)JBL 4722n---(5)Behringer Eurolive B215XL---(2)Klipsch SS-1 Surround---JVC RS500---Sony HW50es---VApex Fixed frame 135" 16:9---Sony UBP-X800---Oppo BDP-93---Toshiba HD DVD-XA2---Xbox 360---PS4---HDFURY Linker---Darbee Darblet DVP-5000---miniDSP Balanced 2x4---Harmony 1100 remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 292 Old 12-03-2018, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
[email protected], so you are not getting the JVC RS2000/N7 anymore?

Femi
Yeah, that was my original plan but JVC has now delayed them a second time and I didn't want to wait another 1 to 3 months. I was in a pinch because I had sold the Sony 385 anticipating the JVC in late October...then late November..and now it looks like 2019. Winter is HT season for me so I didn't want to be without a projector for that long.
post #275 of 292 Old 03-01-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 143
How do you like your Crown amps for surround and atmos duties? Would you buy them again?

I'm currently in the market for six channels of amplification to power my rear surrounds and 4 atmos speakers. I'm considering my options.

Current Equipment: Datasat LS10 w/ Atmos and DIRAC. ATI 6005, AT527NC, Aerial Acoustics LR5's (LCR), SR3's sides, LR3's (rears), Seaton Submersive HP, Marantz VP15s1, 123" diag 16:9 Stewart Cima Neve screen, Oppo BDP-103, Palliser Flicks Theater Seating AC Power: Eaton whole-house surge protector at main panel, three dedicated 20 amp circuits, Surgex XR315 surge protector at equipment rack, Cyberpower 1400VA/900 watt, true sine wave UPS.
post #276 of 292 Old 03-01-2019, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlynch View Post
How do you like your Crown amps for surround and atmos duties? Would you buy them again?

I'm currently in the market for six channels of amplification to power my rear surrounds and 4 atmos speakers. I'm considering my options.
I would totally buy them again for surround and/or atmos duty. They have tons of power, run cool, built like a tank and work great in general. Now I did try them on the main channels and wouldn't personally use them in my set-up as I have high sensitivity LCR speakers that hiss with a lot of amps. That's why I got the ATI because it is often regarded as one of the quietest amps you can get.
post #277 of 292 Old 03-01-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Yeah, that was my original plan but JVC has now delayed them a second time and I didn't want to wait another 1 to 3 months. I was in a pinch because I had sold the Sony 385 anticipating the JVC in late October...then late November..and now it looks like 2019. Winter is HT season for me so I didn't want to be without a projector for that long.
I would not spend too much on Atmos speakers and amplification for Atmos speakers as they only are for ambience. In my 30 speaker Atmos system I use qsc amps for the height speakers but for surround I use Theta Ncore amps...
post #278 of 292 Old 03-15-2019, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 3981
@Frohlich I am in the process of calibrating someone's theater including making some recommendations for his under-woofed room.

His theater is not really a closed off space and has a huge space behind it as well as another space off to one side. I would be guessing but we are probably talking about + 6000cf. Your open space looks similarly large.

Do the 4 18" drivers in your subs sufficiently pressurize your space to your TOTAL satisfaction?
post #279 of 292 Old 03-15-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Frohlich I am in the process of calibrating someone's theater including making some recommendations for his under-woofed room.

His theater is not really a closed off space and has a huge space behind it as well as another space off to one side. I would be guessing but we are probably talking about + 6000cf. Your open space looks similarly large.

Do the 4 18" drivers in your subs sufficiently pressurize your space to your TOTAL satisfaction?
If you mean pressurize as in your pants flapping in the wind, which I have witnessed in other AVS theaters, then no. I can't get that effect in my theater. I think my space is too large for that in relation to my two S2 subs (room is L shaped and total volume is probably over 2000 sq feet) . There is plenty of slam and you can feel it in your chest and in the furniture/chairs rattling but I can't get it to move things like hair or pants.
post #280 of 292 Old 03-15-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you mean pressurize as in your pants flapping in the wind, which I have witnessed in other AVS theaters, then no. I can't get that effect in my theater. I think my space is too large for that in relation to my two S2 subs (room is L shaped and total volume is probably over 2000 sq feet) . There is plenty of slam and you can feel it in your chest and in the furniture/chairs rattling but I can't get it to move things like hair or pants.
2000 square feet or 2000 cubic feet. 2000 cubic feet is a fairly small room. For example: 14x18x8. Your space has to be MUCH larger than that given all of the open spaces in the area. I don't care about moving pant legs from the subs. But chest slam and chest pressure will be more than enough. The space I am working with would probably at least ten 18's to do that. I'm looking for him to procure 4 18's from Funk Audio. According to him, each of his 18s represents 150% to 200% of a Seaton F18. But I want to make sure he will be happy with the choice!! He has heard my room (3400cf) which is much smaller than his using 8 Seaton F18's so that is his reference.
post #281 of 292 Old 03-15-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
2000 square feet or 2000 cubic feet. 2000 cubic feet is a fairly small room. For example: 14x18x8. Your space has to be MUCH larger than that given all of the open spaces in the area. I don't care about moving pant legs from the subs. But chest slam and chest pressure will be more than enough. The space I am working with would probably at least ten 18's to do that. I'm looking for him to procure 4 18's from Funk Audio. According to him, each of his 18s represents 150% to 200% of a Seaton F18. But I want to make sure he will be happy with the choice!! He has heard my room (3400cf) which is much smaller than his using 8 Seaton F18's so that is his reference.
Over 2000 SQ feet..guessing a little from memory....dont know the exact dimensions. Probably 16000 cubic feet since I have about 8 foot ceilings. I can take more exact measurements this weekend if it helps.
post #282 of 292 Old 03-15-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Measurements won't be necessary. You have answered my question. I will propose 4 of the 18" subs and he can always add more later.
post #283 of 292 Old 04-04-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, signed a contract on a new house last night. Loved this theater and this space but time to start planning for the new space in my next home. Still have a few months to pull some new plans together but depending on what my future buyer wants, I am actually hopping to take most/all of this equipment with me
dwaleke and Patriot666 like this.
post #284 of 292 Old 04-04-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, signed a contract on a new house last night. Loved this theater and this space but time to start planning for the new space in my next home. Still have a few months to pull some new plans together but depending on what my future buyer wants, I am actually hopping to take most/all of this equipment with me
That is exciting. Good for you !!
post #285 of 292 Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Amazing man cave!!!!!

Thanks for sharing it with us
post #286 of 292 Old 04-21-2019, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Congrats man! We're trying to sell our house right now. I sold the theater and converted the room back to "normal". We're moving to a city apartment so I'm now going to other end of the spectrum with my equipment, sort of a minimalist mindset.
post #287 of 292 Old 04-21-2019, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
awesome set up
post #288 of 292 Old 04-22-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Congrats on the new home! Staying in Cincinnati area? What part of town?
post #289 of 292 Old 04-22-2019, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhvball View Post
Congrats on the new home! Staying in Cincinnati area? What part of town?
Hey Kevin, its been a couple of years. We have one in college and one entering her senior year of high school so we bought a house with a couple of acres in stonelick township very close to Stonelick golf course. We aren't moving until August because in order for my daughter to attend her senior year at her current high school, we have to live in the school district at leas the first day of the school year...so thats out plan. One of the acres is a pond and the other acre has the house on it. Just looking to get a little land and try something different after living in suburbia for 25 years.
post #290 of 292 Old 04-29-2019, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Congrats on the new home buddy - exciting times. Your gonna love life post suburbia. I have land already but I want to downsize and move further out in a couple of years. The sprawl has caught up to us. Open fields now have houses You gonna stay in the JBL family post 4722 sale? I like the 708p monitors, they have really impressed me. If you end up getting rid of those block diffusers, hit me up before you post them.
Yeah, the new place is kind of secluded and every home owner has 2 to 4 acres (all 12 of them). The neighborhood is surrounded by hundreds of acres of trees/woods so I hope no suberbia sprawl for quite a while. Man, you know your getting old when you start having dreams of future grand kids coming over to fish and getting excited about it. What is happening to me??? I guess the next step is to start eating dinner at Bob Evans at 4:30

As far as speakers, not sure yet. The JBL 708P and JBL SCL 3 are the type of speaker I am considering but just don't know yet. I have some time to make up my mind this summer before we move.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #291 of 292 Old 06-19-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Yes sir, I kept the XLS 1502 for surrounds/Atmos. The reason I sold my DSI was a series of small things that ended up being a "big thing" in my mind.

1)When running my JBL active with the DSi amps there was an audible hiss at idle. This seems somewhat common with high sensitivity speakers and pro amps.

2)The fans were loud on the DSI amps (they are whisper quiet on the XLS). They didn't come on often but when they did you could hear them even with content playing.

3)The DSP presets for the 4722 run the treble hot and unless you get into the Hiqnet software, you can't really change it.

So in the end I decided to go back to a passive configuration for my L/C/R speakers and always wanted to try the ATI sigs so this gave me an excuse
Going back through some of your old posts. Thanks for saving me some money on amps! I was seriously considering the DSi1000's but I think you have sold me on the XLS now.
Frohlich likes this.
post #292 of 292 Old 07-06-2019, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Quoted: 5468 Post(s)
Liked: 3571
Quote:
Most buyers don't understand the actual equipment and model numbers. I'd be describing the theater in more general terms and swapping some of the better gear for more average gear. When my friend with a theater had his house up for sale, we made sure to swap some of that gear out before anyone viewed it to avoid this problem. When the buyer paid for the equipment, it just listed "JVC projector" and "Infinite baffle subs". We swapped out his Fi 18" IB subs with some 12" FI infinite baffle subs (I had laying around) and his RS500 for an x500R. It still performed great and buyer was super thrilled.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Stewart , Jtr , Nad , Marantz Av7005 Pre Processor , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Panamax

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page