post #1562 of 1597 Old 05-25-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I've carried it either in or out of 6 different houses and loaded in my van 4 times including picking it up at Fedex! Grant volunteered to go up the stairs first when we extracted it from his basement. Carrying seven 215RT's into AXPONA isn't much fun either.
Neither is building a crate and shipping them lol but I was successful lol.
post #1563 of 1597 Old 05-26-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Yeah I need to delete some messages...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 1597 Old 05-31-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Carp,

Are you in North Carolina? I don't read the forums much anymore but I kind of remember your room.

I think I bought a sub from you years ago. Then again, I'm getting old so maybe it was someone else.
post #1565 of 1597 Old 06-01-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

No, I'm in Kansas City, must have been a room similar to mine.
post #1566 of 1597 Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Ah, okay. Told you I was getting old. Anyway, your room does look familiar or at the very least it looks like what I have in mind for my room. Unfortunately I have slanted ceilings to contend with but I think I can get a fairly large screen in there because the slant to the ceiling goes all the way around the room and I can pull the screen out some to get more height. Another thing that caught my attention was your JBL speakers. I have a set LCR of the little brother 3722N. Bought them used a few years ago and have never tried them. I like your SC8 surrounds but looks like they are kind of hard to find. I found a great deal on (6) 8340A surrounds but I'm not sure how they compare. I would like to pick your brain a bit.
post #1567 of 1597 Old 06-03-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
Carp,

Are you in North Carolina? I don't read the forums much anymore but I kind of remember your room.

I think I bought a sub from you years ago. Then again, I'm getting old so maybe it was someone else.
Quote:
Pretty sure that as me?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1568 of 1597 Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Pretty sure that as me?
I remember picking up a sub from a guy in Winston-Salem. Don't even remember what kind it was. Might have been an EPIK or Elemental Designs model. Anyway, it was a basement.

I don't even own a sub at the moment. I'm starting from scratch. New house (new to me anyway), new room, new equipment. It's no basement but this is better than my last space.
post #1569 of 1597 Old 06-03-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post
I remember picking up a sub from a guy in Winston-Salem. Don't even remember what kind it was. Might have been an EPIK or Elemental Designs model. Anyway, it was a basement.

I don't even own a sub at the moment. I'm starting from scratch. New house (new to me anyway), new room, new equipment. It's no basement but this is better than my last space.
I've had enough folks come through over the years I just can't remember anymore. I am pretty sure we at least discussed it, but no, definitely never got a sub from me

post #1570 of 1597 Old 06-03-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've had enough folks come through over the years I just can't remember anymore. I am pretty sure we at least discussed it, but no, definitely never got a sub from me
What would you recommend I look for to power (3) JBL 3722N? All I have at the moment is a mid-range Denon receiver. I was looking at Crown XLS amps as probably the most obvious choice for JBL speakers. My room will be about 95% home theater duty. I know less than nothing about these speakers really.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171103_141816.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	2575372  

Last edited by dropzone7; 06-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #1571 of 1597 Old 06-03-2019, 10:38 AM

The XLS drivecore amps are solid. You won't need much to power them but if you want assurance on no fans spooling up, nor having to do a fan mod, emotiva is still a fine one-box solution. Just stick with gen3 or later as the gains are lower on those and help with hiss.

post #1572 of 1597 Old 06-03-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The XLS drivecore amps are solid. You won't need much to power them but if you want assurance on no fans spooling up, nor having to do a fan mod, emotiva is still a fine one-box solution. Just stick with gen3 or later as the gains are lower on those and help with hiss.
Yeah, fans probably won't be a concern for what I have in mind. I don't plan to split the earth's crust with sound waves the way it looks like you probably do! My wife will probably poo poo the whole thing the first time I turn it up a little bit.
post #1573 of 1597 Old 06-17-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Carp, have you ever mentioned a comparison between to SCS surround and a Volt surround?
post #1574 of 1597 Old 06-17-2019, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a long time, but I remember that I liked the coverage of the JBL more. Also I thought they had a sonic signature that matched my 4722n's better than the Volts - but - I never did any blind testing so I can't discount placebo. Both are very capable surrounds.
post #1575 of 1597 Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's been a long time, but I remember that I liked the coverage of the JBL more. Also I thought they had a sonic signature that matched my 4722n's better than the Volts - but - I never did any blind testing so I can't discount placebo. Both are very capable surrounds.
I like that, I will essentially have an upgraded upgraded 4722 when done so having JBL all around I like...The 328 is a viable option to build my own boxes. Only thing I don't like about the SCS is box size but I could also build my own too. I guess I only keep the Volts as viable option in my mind because I have such great memories of them.

Oh do you have the SCS 8 or 12? And 8 of them on surround/atmos duty?
post #1576 of 1597 Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I like that, I will essentially have an upgraded upgraded 4722 when done so having JBL all around I like...The 328 is a viable option to build my own boxes. Only thing I don't like about the SCS is box size but I could also build my own too. I guess I only keep the Volts as viable option in my mind because I have such great memories of them.

Oh do you have the SCS 8 or 12? And 8 of them on surround/atmos duty?
SCS8's. My front row is so far from the back row, so I have my rear surrounds on the side walls which puts them a little more than 135 degrees form the MLP. In doing so I have to have a speaker I can aim like the SCS8's... I would love to use the in wall/ceiling JBL equivilent but that won't work so well for my rear surrounds.

A year or so ago I switched my ceiling SCS8's with some RSL in ceiling speakers. I got sick of seeing those speakers hanging from the ceiling and I thought adding some height to the ceiling speakers would help the over head effects. Initially I thought the effects were indeed better, but I think it might have been placebo - ha - I think that about everything.

Long story short, I have zero interest in making a change from any of the speakers that I have. The thought doesn't even enter my mind anymore.
post #1577 of 1597 Old 06-21-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SCS8's. My front row is so far from the back row, so I have my rear surrounds on the side walls which puts them a little more than 135 degrees form the MLP. In doing so I have to have a speaker I can aim like the SCS8's... I would love to use the in wall/ceiling JBL equivilent but that won't work so well for my rear surrounds.

A year or so ago I switched my ceiling SCS8's with some RSL in ceiling speakers. I got sick of seeing those speakers hanging from the ceiling and I thought adding some height to the ceiling speakers would help the over head effects. Initially I thought the effects were indeed better, but I think it might have been placebo - ha - I think that about everything.

Long story short, I have zero interest in making a change from any of the speakers that I have. The thought doesn't even enter my mind anymore.
Yea I can see that big SCS8 box really getting to be an eye sore. Why did you choose the RSL? Seems like a 328c one could slant/aim somehow and make a false ceiling insert to conceal them. As I mentioned in other thread I would look into rebuilding the SCS 8 box too.

Yea, I'm stoked to get back to that 4" JBL CD (2452) dynamics and sound with a little BE on top for extra sweetness Ive bought everything except the diaphragms so far, the 725 per is hard to 'digest.'

Last edited by jlpowell84; 06-21-2019 at 03:17 PM.
post #1578 of 1597 Old 06-22-2019, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Yea I can see that big SCS8 box really getting to be an eye sore. Why did you choose the RSL? Seems like a 328c one could slant/aim somehow and make a false ceiling insert to conceal them. As I mentioned in other thread I would look into rebuilding the SCS 8 box too.

Yea, I'm stoked to get back to that 4" JBL CD (2452) dynamics and sound with a little BE on top for extra sweetness Ive bought everything except the diaphragms so far, the 725 per is hard to 'digest.'
The RSL's at the time (they still probably do) had the option to return them if I didn't like them so I figured I'd try them since they are so much cheaper and since I liked them I decided to keep them.
jlpowell84 likes this.
post #1579 of 1597 Old 07-06-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
@carp – I’m curious what your thoughts are on your Epson 5040 PJ after owning this projector for a while now, especially regarding HDR.

I’ve got an Epson 5030 (non 4k and non HDR) that I just love the heck out of for SDR 1080p movies in cinema mode. In fact, I’ve been so satisfied with it that I never really felt the need at all to upgrade and have done everything else first like Atmos, blacking out the room, treatments, all the Bass and TR stuff etc. That said though, I’m not a videophile and haven’t seen what a truly high-end top of the line PJ can do. Blacking out my room tremendously helped the 5030 though, like leaps and bounds and still amazes me on normal SDR 1080p content.

But that’s on SDR 1080p material. With 4k and the HDR thing nowadays, tone mapping them with the Oppo 203 back to SDR on the 5030 just leaves most movies looking too darn dark most of the time, always making me feel the need to try to tweak it, usually not making it look much better.

So, I figured it’s probably time to get into a 4k (or at least eshift 4k ) PJ and hopefully not have to deal with the HDR problem anymore. I don’t think I’m quite ready to spend a crap ton of money on a top of the line true 4k PJ just yet and came across the 5040 refurbed the other day. For a little over a grand, makes it hard to pass up, even though looks like it may take a few tries to get a good one. Plus, I seem to love the image the 5030 can throw, at least in standard SDR 1080p. So, I’m sure the 5040 is even better.

But darn it, the more I read about it, it looks like the newer projectors (Epson or JVC), images can still have major issues with HDR content, making the image way too dark without a bunch of tweaking. I’m sure the right settings with enough tweaking on most projectors, HDR can be great, and is for a lot of folks. But I guess even with all the trouble HDR has caused with dark images on most PJs, it’s here to stay and is the future for the most amazing images possible.

So anyway, over the holidays I think I’ve read about all this until I’m blue in the face, in the 5040 thread as well as a few of the JVC threads and other. Sounds like most of the JVC guys got HDR figured out by using the HD Fury devise to strip the HDR flag, leaving WCG and high res intact, allowing them to use dynamic iris, along with gamma tweaks etc. to get some great, bright, HDR looking images. Same with the Epson 5040 but using HarperVision trickery, oledurt’s settings and others with no NDFury to get great looking results.

All that’s cool, and if I end up with the 5040, I’m sure I’ll try them all. I read so much now though over the last couple of days that it’s all kind of running together LOL, since I haven’t kept up on all the latest PJ and video image stuff. But I think I’ve seen where you said you’ve tried them all with Harpervision, oeldurt, etc settings and may now be back to just plain ole Bright Cinema for not just regular SDR, but HDR too maybe? If so, are you pretty happy with HDR with bright cinema mode and maybe a few tweaks here and there? Or maybe even using a UB900 player to up the gamma slider a little (in the player itself) like Craig Peer was doing at one point (he seemed to be really happy with that) and not even messing with anything else? Im running an Oppo 203 though (as I think you are too) and don't really want to try to get into the other player, as they arn't cheap either.

Anyway, just curious on your thoughts on this in your blacked-out room and close sitting distance on your huge screen. I’m blacked out too and sit close, albeit not as big a screen as yours.

I’m sure I’ll love the Harpervision settings for the HDR 4k discs, but am almost positive the high lamp and fan speed will drive me nuts in my smaller room, at least at my lower nighttime listening levels. Maybe Oledurt’s settings with medium lamp will do the trick and not be too obnoxious sounding. Or maybe the latest firmware updates on the 5040 now compared to those days back in 2017 have helped with the HDR darkness problems and can be ran in eco, or at least medium and in bright cinema or whatever it ‘should’ be in for WCG and HDR and will look good.

Anyway, I’ve got a few decisions to make I guess, but will most likely end up with the Epson 5040 with its price being so low now (at least until I can afford a true high end native 4K at some point, hopefully they’ll have all the HDR problems worked out on them by then too lol). Also, I need an Apple TV devise or Xbox as well to stream some Atmos and 4k from Netflix. Looks like there are now a bunch of great ones that have got the BEQ magic treatment over in the BEQ thread!! Can’t wait to watch Dark and a bunch of the others

You still really enjoying your BOSS’s? I know I sure am but took me a while since I tried quite a few diff platforms and configs. I’m settled in with it now though and just ready to enjoy a bunch of content Of course now, I’ve gotta get this HDR crap lined out too LOL

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #1580 of 1597 Old 07-06-2019, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

@SBuger

Hey Shelby, good to hear from you. I know exactly how you feel about upgrading your projector. I have decided that I am going to stick with my 5040 until either it craps out or some incredible leap forward in projector technology allows HDR to actually matter. IMO projectors are pretty fragile and since I have a good one that has been dependable for a long time I don't want to roll the dice and get something new unless it is a game changer, which in my opinion, none of the projectors in my price range are.

I do think the 5040 is a pretty significant step up from the 5030 and if I were you I would get one.. but...

Jonathan @Archaea bought one of the refurbished 5040's for around 1100 and it took him 5 or 6 returns to get on that works with no major issues and it is a big headache to go through that - but - a new 5040 is 2 grand so it just depends on what that is worth to you.

Like you I'm not a videophile (haha, says the guy that has velvet covering the entire front half of room ) but I love a bright image that pops and the 5040 is great at that.

On the 5040 I prefer the default Bright Cinema settings to every other setting I have tried. HDR disks would be too dark, but I have the Panasonic player with the HDR dynamic range slider so bumping that up to around +4 ish does the trick and looks great to my eyes. I also prefer the default Bright Cinema for 1080p sources too. An added benifit to that is being able to run in it eco mode.

Yeah, I'm loving my boss setup. I still can't quite decide exactly how I want it setup for all content. Lately I wasn't getting the wow factor, so during Stranger Things season 3 I said screw it and removed the LPF and the fun was back without being distracting at all so I'm going to run it wide open again for awhile and see what I think. IMO it's really good no matter how you tweak it, just different flavors of good.

Jonathan will probably chime in here on what he thinks about grabbing a refurbished 5040, I know he was really frustrated going through the return process over and over. I have been there too with Epson with the 8350, it took 6 tries with that model for me to get a good one and 3 or 4 with the 3500. When I had an issue my mindset was that they would send me a bad unit, and to be surprised if it was a good one. That kept me from being too upset when projector after projector had problems.

The fact that it's a refurbished unit pretty much means 100 percent that something will be wrong with it, so make sure you are ok with that going in.

2 grand for a new one is still a great deal for this projector though, so don't completly rule that out.

As usual I keep going back and forth with my advice so I'm probably not much help.
SBuger likes this.
post #1581 of 1597 Old 07-07-2019, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Carp's Basement

I’m really soured on Epson projectors. I won’t buy any more.

Last time it took me five 8350UBs to get a good one. This time it took me six 5040UBs to get a good one.

That’s just unacceptable. My time and stress levels don’t need that exercise ever again.

HDR on the 5040 is a back. Like most projectors. It throws a good looking picture with HarperVision settings on HDR.

Figure out if you are willing to play refurb roulette.
Lots of units they have to out are plum awful.

I’d probably buy a JVC RS540 or the BenQ HT-9060 refurbed if I was going to do it again and knew the headache I’d have with the Epson.
SBuger likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #1582 of 1597 Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the reply’s guys, I really appreciate it!!

@carp – ah ok, you are running the Panasonic player then and using the HDR slider to help bump up the brightness. Yeah, I love a bright image that ‘pop’ too, and probably why I like the 5030 so much for normal SDR content. The Epson’s seem to be great at this!

Can the Panasonic stream Netflix so the HDR slider can take effect on those streaming sources too? Also, I’ve got a ton of MKV movie files on an external drive that play great (for the most part) through the Oppo 203 connected with a USB cable. If you’ve ever tried this, did the Panny player have any problems playing the MKV files? EDIT: is yours the UB900 or UB820 or other? Im guessing the 820 will have the HDR slider control as well for about half the price.

But yeah, buying a refurb through that site kinda scares me a bit, since Jonathan had so much trouble. I did read some about that in that thread. Having to go through 6 units for the 5040 (and 5 on the other) to get a good one is just insane and not right!! That would leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth to say the least!! Thanks @Archaea for chiming in and mentioning the other 2 projectors!! Will have to think about those as well. And if I do decide to go with the 5040, will def have decide if it’s worth the low price to play refurb roulette or just bite the bullet and buy a new one for double the price. Hmmmm …decisions, decisions, I hate them!!

It does seem kina of crazy though (like I think you mentioned somewhere (maybe in that thread)) that there are so many available now through that site. So not just 2-3 ever now and then with everyone refreshing browsers all the time hoping to get lucky and score one. I just checked again (as I’ve been doing for the last 3-4 days) and there is still a bunch available these days. Usually over a hundred. 160 this morning it looks like. Maybe it is like I think you said (or someone) had said, that maybe they are now selling new units as refurbs since they are moving them so quickly. IDK, weird and not sure what to think of it all and what path I should take.

Anyway, thanks again you guys for your thoughts on it all!! Also, great to hear your still loving the BOSS Sheldon. Yep your right, it seems to be pretty darn good with different tweaks, just a different flavor of good. Cool that you and Jonathon are both running them now!! It really is a pretty amazing way to get your TR huh!! I’m still running my Crowsons and VNFs, but adding in the BOSS has made my TR felt better and more realistic than it ever has, which makes me super happy I run my a little different, more like Scott’s sub riser with no isos on bottom (a few on top though) that basically seals it (giving me SPL too) and think I’ve found the magic LPF (or negative HS in my case) that feels just about right for my setup for movies. I haven’t felt the need to tweak it much at all over the last couple of weeks, which is saying a lot for me!!! hahahaha

Seems to be lots of ways the BOSS can be implemented and integrated into one's system, which is way cool!!

1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 07-07-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #1583 of 1597 Old 07-07-2019, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Carp's Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Are these new Epson projectors a big step up to say a mid-tier Sony 55es 1080p projector? The reviews seem great, but is there a noticeable difference or should I wait a couple more years for tech to improve and pricing to drop. I am at 13 feet from 126" screen.

Sony 55ES is still a really nice projector. I think I’d just sit tight until you find a deal on a true 18Gbs projector that fully supports HDR and 60Hz 4K. (And probably isn’t e-shift.). This 5040UB is only 10Gbps so it only supports 8 bit color and a max of 30hz at 4k. (No 12 bit color and 60Hz at 4k). Carp will attest that 4K on a computer desktop with eshift is still pretty poor quality text and being limited to 30hz makes it pretty jerky jerky with mouse movement in games too. Not a fan of this projector for 4K windows desktop use, but 1080p looks great on the desktop or pc gaming. Especially if you turn off 4k image enhancement for text (Epsons name for their e-shift). Images look better with image enhancement on — 4k and 1080p text look better with it off. Pick your poison.

@SBuger , if you buy the Epson make sure and do the free bulb rebate. They apparently give out free bulbs with purchase if you file - even though they aren’t supposed to qualify as refurbs. (Only new). I do expect they are selling new units as refurbs now. There’s no real other explanation for the huge quantity jump form 1-3 a week they had to sell to effectively an unlimited supply. They throw a really nice image when you get a good one — but I have a bit of a hollow feeling because I had a JVC RS 600 in my room and it looked like the next tier up to me, and I regret a bit not buying the RS540. However the $1200 vs $3800 price-point delta was a nice consolation prize. My next projector will be

HDMI 2.1
True 4K
LED or Laser based

This Epson 5040UB will hold me till then. I hope Panasonic re-enters the home theater projector market. They were my favorite overall for multiple generations but stopped in 2012 with the still impressive AE8000U. This 2017 model epson was a step up from the Panasonic though.

Doug, @d_c bought a 5040UB and his was fine the first go. He likes it better than his JVC RS-420, so he thinks he’ll sell the JVC. It’s significantly brighter than the JVC.
SBuger and Molon_Labe like this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 07-07-2019 at 06:53 AM.
post #1584 of 1597 Old 07-07-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked: 3833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Sony 55ES is still a really nice projector. I think I’d just sit tight until you find a deal on a true 18Gbs projector that fully supports HDR and 60Hz 4K. (And probably isn’t e-shift.). Carp will attest that 4K on a computer desktop with eshift is still pretty poor text
That was my thought as well -thanks for the confirmation. I have the spare lamp that came with the Sony when I bought it. I will just install it and when it reaches 2k hours come back and revisit the projector scene in a couple years.
Archaea likes this.

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers.....you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers - Billy Joel
post #1585 of 1597 Old 07-07-2019, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Thanks for the reply’s guys, I really appreciate it!!

@carp – ah ok, you are running the Panasonic player then and using the HDR slider to help bump up the brightness. Yeah, I love a bright image that ‘pop’ too, and probably why I like the 5030 so much for normal SDR content. The Epson’s seem to be great at this!

Can the Panasonic stream Netflix so the HDR slider can take effect on those streaming sources too? Also, I’ve got a ton of MKV movie files on an external drive that play great (for the most part) through the Oppo 203 connected with a USB cable. If you’ve ever tried this, did the Panny player have any problems playing the MKV files? EDIT: is yours the UB900 or UB820 or other? Im guessing the 820 will have the HDR slider control as well for about half the price.

But yeah, buying a refurb through that site kinda scares me a bit, since Jonathan had so much trouble. I did read some about that in that thread. Having to go through 6 units for the 5040 (and 5 on the other) to get a good one is just insane and not right!! That would leave a bad taste in anyone’s mouth to say the least!! Thanks @Archaea for chiming in and mentioning the other 2 projectors!! Will have to think about those as well. And if I do decide to go with the 5040, will def have decide if it’s worth the low price to play refurb roulette or just bite the bullet and buy a new one for double the price. Hmmmm …decisions, decisions, I hate them!!

It does seem kina of crazy though (like I think you mentioned somewhere (maybe in that thread)) that there are so many available now through that site. So not just 2-3 ever now and then with everyone refreshing browsers all the time hoping to get lucky and score one. I just checked again (as I’ve been doing for the last 3-4 days) and there is still a bunch available these days. Usually over a hundred. 160 this morning it looks like. Maybe it is like I think you said (or someone) had said, that maybe they are now selling new units as refurbs since they are moving them so quickly. IDK, weird and not sure what to think of it all and what path I should take.

Anyway, thanks again you guys for your thoughts on it all!! Also, great to hear your still loving the BOSS Sheldon. Yep your right, it seems to be pretty darn good with different tweaks, just a different flavor of good. Cool that you and Jonathon are both running them now!! It really is a pretty amazing way to get your TR huh!! I’m still running my Crowsons and VNFs, but adding in the BOSS has made my TR felt better and more realistic than it ever has, which makes me super happy I run my a little different, more like Scott’s sub riser with no isos on bottom (a few on top though) that basically seals it (giving me SPL too) and think I’ve found the magic LPF (or negative HS in my case) that feels just about right for my setup for movies. I haven’t felt the need to tweak it much at all over the last couple of weeks, which is saying a lot for me!!! hahahaha

Seems to be lots of ways the BOSS can be implemented and integrated into one's system, which is way cool!!

I can't seem to get HDR when streaming from the Panasonic player, nor from the Roku but I can get HDR from the XBox 1S. However, I don't like it. I just watched season 3 of Sneaky Pete from Amazon and on the XBox HDR looks (of course) too dark and the 4K non-HDR using the Roku looks so much better.

Hmmm so you have a traditional (non mini boss) and are using NO isolators under the riser but you are using isolators between the riser and the seating? Is that what you are saying? I'll have to try that on my back row since I have a traditional riser back there.

What numbers are you using on your negative high shelf?
post #1586 of 1597 Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can't seem to get HDR when streaming from the Panasonic player, nor from the Roku but I can get HDR from the XBox 1S. However, I don't like it. I just watched season 3 of Sneaky Pete from Amazon and on the XBox HDR looks (of course) too dark and the 4K non-HDR using the Roku looks so much better.

Hmmm so you have a traditional (non mini boss) and are using NO isolators under the riser but you are using isolators between the riser and the seating? Is that what you are saying? I'll have to try that on my back row since I have a traditional riser back there.

What numbers are you using on your negative high shelf?
Ah ok, Xbox should be able to get Atmos too if Atmos is offered on certain titles.

Yes correct on the boss riser. It’s a full size and just sits on the carpet and pad with NO isolators, making it sealed (or sealed for the most part). So I guess not really a BOSS riser any more since it’s no longer open baffle. It’s way more of a sub riser now, just using the carpet and pad of the floor to seal it from the bottom, instead of an actual bottom on the riser itself.

Kind of crazy I guess since floated with isos is what is prescribed, but works better in my system like this as a sub riser. I like the feel of it better and measures better with VibSensor as well with more authority down super low. Pretty crazy that I get quite a bit more ULF TR out of it like this (even with no LS) and doesn’t ever bottom (at least at my highest listening levels, which is around ref bass levels at my loudest).

The feel is a little different than floated on isos (partially less bounce feel I guess you could say), but feels extremely realistic to me. It also doesn’t have the jiggly jello feel either, which you may or may not like.

But yes, I also am running a few isos on top of the platform in between the Crowson MAs in the back. Mainly because there are so many little feet on my HT seats, that they are needed in the back since I have the MAs (2 per seat) on the back inner framing feet of the seats. The isos go in the back outer feet. Then just using blocks for the front of the seat feet instead of isos. I did quite a bit of testing and this felt the best on my seats setup like this. So just these isos on top in the back (4 total for 3 seats) soften the TR just enough making the ULF TR feel a little better than without any.

Out of all the BOSS platforms and configs I’ve tried, (even 3 of my 18’s mounted cantilevered) this one just felt the best setup like this. Measured the best too, at least down low in ULF territory.

Yeah try it, you may really like it. But then again, may not be as good as the way you have it floated now, especially since your riser is quite a bit bigger and heavier than mine and with less drivers. Might be worth a try though. Ya never know.

Maybe the reason it works so well for me, is that my riser is fairly small at 40” x 8’ and only 6” tall, plus has 6 of the 12” JBLs in it. Just 3 of the drivers works pretty darn good though, but 6 is definitely more powerful.

So for the negative HS, through a lot of experimenting with a variety of good movie demo, I really like it set at 34hz/-10db/Q 0.9. This rolls it off pretty good above 35-40hz, but can be adjusted pretty easy for more gradual slope from low to to high if desired, and or just bump up or lower where the frequency is set. I mainly just use the negative HS in place of the LPF because the timing is better with my VNF subs. I do the same on the MAs, although I have the MAs set at a lower frequency. LPFs introduce delay, whereas HSs don’t (or not nearly as much anyway).

But yeah, pretty crazy the amount of fantastic feeling TR the full size BOSS riser can dish out, especially down low, just setting on the carpet and pad with no isos. Surprised the crap out of me actually LOL. That so goes against the way is prescribed and ‘suppose’ to work . But hey, I’ll take it no matter the reason. Gotta go with what feels the best I say, whether it ‘should’ or ‘shouldn’t’ be better.

Just to give you an idea of the TR hat this thing is capable of setting on the floor with no isos under it, check out these VS measurements with BOSS/subwoofer riser only (no VNFs or MAs in be mix).

White Noise 0-50hz on the left and EOT intro on the right (where I have it set in the mix at ref levels) and pretty easily pegs the Z axis LIMIT and hits over 1e-00 down towards 10hz. And without bottoming too, which was a nice surprise as well. Plus no LS on the bottom end either, just the negative HS (well actually on these graphs I had it set as LPF @ 35hz with BW 12db/oct slope, but sma Eli d of shape with the negative HS).

More pics and info about it all in my thread, but thought I’d at least post these two VS graphs to show what it can do with no isos. Pretty crazy I thought, and ended up loving the way it feels. Your floated BOSS may give similar readings though and may feel better to you. Good VSs or not though, you gotta go with what feels best. But it’s nice when the objective lines up with the subjective. It does happen sometimes lol

The EOT intro VS reads real similar to Sott’s subriser with his 2 18’s (although his is set to g’s and mine to m’s) and follows the PVA of that intro just about perfectly, like we want. That was pretty cool too I thought that they read so similar. Ha, guess it’s basically like setting on a sub cab itself and can be pretty darn good for TR .

post #1587 of 1597 Old 07-09-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

I spent part of the last couple of days trying out what you are doing but with the front row mini risers (I have 2 risers for the 4 chairs, 2 chairs per riser). I took out the isolators under the plywood and put in blocks of wood. Ha, what do you know... still really damn good. I did lose quite a bit below 15 hz though, but I was shocked how it was just as good above that. You even get a bit more punch in the higher up bass which makes sense. So, the decision is to stick with that which has the advantages of not having a jiggly seat that not only moves quite a bit when I shift, but you can really feel the people next to you when they shift and also punchier bass up high - OR - go back to the isolators and get more feel below 15hz.

I haven't tried it with the full riser because it's so damn heavy I just don't want to mess with it right now. Getting it high enough to get the isolators out is a pulled lat waiting to happen.

Now it's time to try the settings you like with the negative high shelf. Thanks for all the info!!
SBuger likes this.
post #1588 of 1597 Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 630
I don't think I can do a boss setup with how my seats are built and my current setup.

I could make it fit if I made it taller, but that would block the view of the back row. I could do the cantilever, but would have to move the seats forward for it to fit, messing up my audio.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 07-10-2019 at 09:06 AM.
post #1589 of 1597 Old 07-09-2019, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I spent part of the last couple of days trying out what you are doing but with the front row mini risers (I have 2 risers for the 4 chairs, 2 chairs per riser). I took out the isolators under the plywood and put in blocks of wood. Ha, what do you know... still really damn good. I did lose quite a bit below 15 hz though, but I was shocked how it was just as good above that. You even get a bit more punch in the higher up bass which makes sense. So, the decision is to stick with that which has the advantages of not having a jiggly seat that not only moves quite a bit when I shift, but you can really feel the people next to you when they shift and also punchier bass up high - OR - go back to the isolators and get more feel below 15hz.

I haven't tried it with the full riser because it's so damn heavy I just don't want to mess with it right now. Getting it high enough to get the isolators out is a pulled lat waiting to happen.

Now it's time to try the settings you like with the negative high shelf. Thanks for all the info!!
No prob! Cool that you tried it on your front row mini risers. Interesting that it felt the same or better/punchier above 15hz, but lost a lot under 15hz.

I think mine feels a little punchier too without the isos, but actually get more below 15hz. Part of the reason may be that with no isos and being a full riser, it brings my suspended floor into it more, which is where my floor is best between 10-14hz. So I’m sure that helps. But Scott’s subriser looks super strong under 15hz too, even though on mine it is activating the floor since it’s acting as the bottom of the cab sealing it. So I don’t know, maybe it would do it anyway just sitting on carpet and pad over concrete. Tim seems to think it’s partially from so much pressure created in the cavities for ULF that it may be getting a touch of ‘hover’ effect and driving up the ULF TR. But who knows for sure. After he explained his theory a little HERE, it sure may be helping a little.

I hear ya on the wiggle jiggle with isos. I don’t particularly love it when I shift my weight or when someone else does when I had it in full iso mode. Pros and cons I guess.

Yeah dude, be careful if you try it on your full size riser! Like you say, a pulled lat could happen. Even my small riser that weights way less than yours can put the hurt on you if not real careful. In fact I messed with mine so much with experiments that it kind of tweaked my back a while back and it’s still not quite back to normal yet. So if you try it, be real careful and smart about it. Use a pry bar or something if doing it by yourself. Speaking from experience unfortunately, it’s not worth it

But if you do get it done, it may be as good as your front mini above 15hz, but not lose any below. Hell maybe even gain like mine did. You may need more drivers in it though, since your riser is so much heavier than mine. But maybe not.

On the negative HS, I had been running it at 34hz, but moved it up to 40hz today that felt really good.

I’m thinking you may like it higher, especially with your music. Never know until you try it I guess.

post #1590 of 1597 Old 07-10-2019, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I don't think I can do a boss setup with how my seats are built and my current setup.

I could make it fit if I made it taller, but that would block the view of the back row. I could do the cantilever, but would have to move the seats forward for it to fit, messing up my audio.
It's hard to read your post because there are a bunch of &#115's in it (not sure if that means I have a virus issue or if you do??) but it looks like you are saying you can't fit a BOSS because the front row would be too high and there isn't enough space between the rows for a cantilevered setup. What about doing what Jonathan did and put the driver in the actual seating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
No prob! Cool that you tried it on your front row mini risers. Interesting that it felt the same or better/punchier above 15hz, but lost a lot under 15hz.

I think mine feels a little punchier too without the isos, but actually get more below 15hz. Part of the reason may be that with no isos and being a full riser, it brings my suspended floor into it more, which is where my floor is best between 10-14hz. So I’m sure that helps. But Scott’s subriser looks super strong under 15hz too, even though on mine it is activating the floor since it’s acting as the bottom of the cab sealing it. So I don’t know, maybe it would do it anyway just sitting on carpet and pad over concrete. Tim seems to think it’s partially from so much pressure created in the cavities for ULF that it may be getting a touch of ‘hover’ effect and driving up the ULF TR. But who knows for sure. After he explained his theory a little HERE, it sure may be helping a little.

I hear ya on the wiggle jiggle with isos. I don’t particularly love it when I shift my weight or when someone else does when I had it in full iso mode. Pros and cons I guess.

Yeah dude, be careful if you try it on your full size riser! Like you say, a pulled lat could happen. Even my small riser that weights way less than yours can put the hurt on you if not real careful. In fact I messed with mine so much with experiments that it kind of tweaked my back a while back and it’s still not quite back to normal yet. So if you try it, be real careful and smart about it. Use a pry bar or something if doing it by yourself. Speaking from experience unfortunately, it’s not worth it

But if you do get it done, it may be as good as your front mini above 15hz, but not lose any below. Hell maybe even gain like mine did. You may need more drivers in it though, since your riser is so much heavier than mine. But maybe not.

On the negative HS, I had been running it at 34hz, but moved it up to 40hz today that felt really good.

I’m thinking you may like it higher, especially with your music. Never know until you try it I guess.

I tried your negative HS and really, really liked it. I also messed with moving it around a bit as I see you have and I think it's just movie and more importantly mood dependent. Watched Power Rangers with the kids tonight with BEQ and your settings with the BOSS cranked up really high and it was a blast. Terrible movie, but with the sound (mixed by Filmmixer as you probably know) I didn't mind at all. It's so nice to end a movie like that and the ears feel nothing. I don't miss the days of having to over boost the audible subs to get the feel and my ears would be raw after a movie like that.
SBuger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Cerwin Vega Cv 5000 High Performance Power Amplifier , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350