post #1591 of 1626 Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
It's hard to read your post because there are a bunch of s's in it (not sure if that means I have a virus issue or if you do??) but it looks like you are saying you can't fit a BOSS because the front row would be too high and there isn't enough space between the rows for a cantilevered setup. What about doing what Jonathan did and put the driver in the actual seating?
I think it's an error with the mobile version of the website. I've noticed it a lot lately in people's posts. It seems like it is escaping out of 's' characters. Works fine when it's posted from a computer.

Unfortunately, the construction of the seating is the issue. It's a pretty tight area due to the reclining mechanism. No way to attach it to really attach it to the rear, and the opening underneath is tight. I could probably do it with an 8", maybe 10", driver, but with 12", the diameter of the driver cone is too wide at the point it would get to the chair framing (about 1.75" from the front of the driver). I only have about a 7" gap in one direction. So, I could add more plywood so the cone would be smaller at the point it reached the framing, but that raises the seats.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1626 Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I think it's an error with the mobile version of the website. I've noticed it a lot lately in people's posts. It seems like it is escaping out of 's' characters. Works fine when it's posted from a computer.

Unfortunately, the construction of the seating is the issue. It's a pretty tight area due to the reclining mechanism. No way to attach it to really attach it to the rear, and the opening underneath is tight. I could probably do it with an 8", maybe 10", driver, but with 12", the diameter of the driver cone is too wide at the point it would get to the chair framing (about 1.75" from the front of the driver). I only have about a 7" gap in one direction. So, I could add more plywood so the cone would be smaller at the point it reached the framing, but that raises the seats.
Can you raise the rear riser? A year or so ago I raised the rear riser from 10 inches to 14 (and put in a step on each side of the riser) and it helped a lot. I still have a little bit of blockage from heads in the front row if people are sitting upright with no recline but that's the price for having suck a large screen, because the bottom of it is only 19 inches from the floor. I can't go any higher with the rear riser because of the beam on the ceiling is getting too close where people might hit there heads on the way down from the riser. I just miss it at I'm 6' 1". I did put some of those huge child protector pads on it though so it won't hurt too much for tall guys.

If I had balls (or the work ethic) like Ryan I'd dig into the concrete floor to lower my front row but I have neither.
Ladeback likes this.
post #1593 of 1626 Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 PM
d_c
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
I like the 5040 more also. I guess I lucked out on getting a good one the first time 'round. The rs400 on my 140" (130 wide) screen just wasn't bright enough for my taste. BT2020 Off feature on the Oppo 203 helped with the brightness and really looked great with 1080 films and most HDR content, but I still feel like it should have been brighter. I thought the JVC was great on Grant's screen, but it's a smaller screen. Also, I have that huge reef tank in the basement which bleeds light, and sometimes we like to have the lights on when watching stuff, especially sports or if my kid has friends over. I think the 5040 has a grainy look, whereas the JVC is really, really smooth. The blacks are blacker with the JVC as well, and I miss both these things, but not enough to get a smaller screen.

Do you notice the 5040 being grainy Carp?
SBuger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 1626 Old 07-10-2019, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm I don't think so... to me the 5040 looks sharper and the JVC's look more "film like" but I have aging eyes so it could just be me.
SBuger and Ladeback like this.
post #1595 of 1626 Old 07-10-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 362 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 4056
Quote:
I tried your negative HS and really, really liked it. I also messed with moving it around a bit as I see you have and I think it's just movie and more importantly mood dependent. Watched Power Rangers with the kids tonight with BEQ and your settings with the BOSS cranked up really high and it was a blast. Terrible movie, but with the sound (mixed by Filmmixer as you probably know) I didn't mind at all. It's so nice to end a movie like that and the ears feel nothing. I don't miss the days of having to over boost the audible subs to get the feel and my ears would be raw after a movie like that.
Cool! Yeah I think your right, sometimes it really is movie dependent and mood as well for what HS works best.

Speaking of Power Rangers, I have it but have yet to watch it. Maybe I'll give it a spin soon since you bring it up. Doesn't surprise me though about the movie being terrible, but folks over in the movie bass thread (not the beq thread) use to rave about the bass. Sounds like that and the sound made up nicely for it

Yeah I hear ya on the ears. I totally agree, and is what sent me on this crazy TR journey a while back. I was just listening too darn loud to try the get feel and fun the factor that I wanted from the bass, and it was just hurting my ears. Raw is a good way to put it. So nice to be able to really feel it now, even at pretty low night time listening levels, keeping it fun
carp likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #1596 of 1626 Old 07-14-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Can you raise the rear riser? A year or so ago I raised the rear riser from 10 inches to 14 (and put in a step on each side of the riser) and it helped a lot. I still have a little bit of blockage from heads in the front row if people are sitting upright with no recline but that's the price for having suck a large screen, because the bottom of it is only 19 inches from the floor. I can't go any higher with the rear riser because of the beam on the ceiling is getting too close where people might hit there heads on the way down from the riser. I just miss it at I'm 6' 1". I did put some of those huge child protector pads on it though so it won't hurt too much for tall guys.

If I had balls (or the work ethic) like Ryan I'd dig into the concrete floor to lower my front row but I have neither.
Unfortunately not. It's already 15" and I barely have any clearance when I'm up there.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)

Last edited by ChldsPlay; 07-15-2019 at 12:42 PM.
post #1597 of 1626 Old 07-16-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2027 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Carp, is the Atmos thread best place to learn placements? I have a small room in the works, a single couch. I know 4 overheads much better than 2. But I'm thinking I could get away with two wall surround behind MLP facing at middle of couch. Def intrigued at the RSL option, if few of you say it's a great budget Atmos then it must be having heard numerous products out there. Anyways I can get the Amtos and surround wired in wall during building phase so I want/need to figure out where I will be putting them! Or I suppose general location but if I can get away with no wires on wall why not...
post #1598 of 1626 Old 07-25-2019, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
Carp, is the Atmos thread best place to learn placements? I have a small room in the works, a single couch. I know 4 overheads much better than 2. But I'm thinking I could get away with two wall surround behind MLP facing at middle of couch. Def intrigued at the RSL option, if few of you say it's a great budget Atmos then it must be having heard numerous products out there. Anyways I can get the Amtos and surround wired in wall during building phase so I want/need to figure out where I will be putting them! Or I suppose general location but if I can get away with no wires on wall why not...
@jlpowell84

Sorry for the late reply!

I'm not sure how 2 overheads compare to 4 because I've always had 4.

I will say though... I am thinking of going back to moving my side surrounds to behind the listening position. I feel like having surround speakers slightly behind the listener gives you that fully surrounded feel.

Everytime I go to Archaea's place I like the surround field better than at my own house and he has his side surrounds ar around 100-110 degrees I would estimate. I hear so much more behind me, and I still get a natural side sound field. I also get a better surrounded feel when sitting on my back row couch, probably because the rear surrounds are at around 110 degrees to the center of the back couch seat.

I plan to do some more experimenting in the next couple weeks and then make a decision on moving my sides and perhaps even getting some RSL's because I'm getting sick of how far into the room the SCS8's stick out.

Back to your original question, yes that thread is good but in a nut shell make sure that your 7.1 speakers are pretty close to ear height so that you have a large seperation (as far as the angle goes) between them and your ceiling speakers.
post #1599 of 1626 Old 09-06-2019, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked: 3691
Stopped by carp's room briefly last night on my way to jedimastergrants house.

Sheldon's room is ALWAYS a real treat to experience. HUGE screen, great sound, tactile bass beyond the pale!

Always a top shelf experience! Sheldon's BOSS integration with his front row and riser provides tactile feedback that probably would require a seismometer to accurately depict to anyone who hasn't been there. At this point, it's gone to plaid.

I could/would just spend all evening there relaxing, listening, and enjoying! Thanks for letting @stitch1 and I stop by for the short demo session! You've got a great room that just raises the bar every time I experience it!
Ladeback likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #1600 of 1626 Old 09-06-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jonathan, that was a lot of fun last night both at my place and Grants. However I think the most impressive thing I saw yesterday was the upgrades on Tim's jeep.

BTW I still say your bass is every bit as punishing at your house. I had rattling teeth to prove it.
stitch1 and Ladeback like this.
post #1601 of 1626 Old 09-06-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
Thanks Jonathan, that was a lot of fun last night both at my place and Grants. However I think the most impressive thing I saw yesterday was the upgrades on Tim's jeep.

BTW I still say your bass is every bit as punishing at your house. I had rattling teeth to prove it.
I never did get down your way over the summer to check out your updates. Maybe some other time this year or I guess during the craw next year. Kids soccer is in full swing and tough getting away.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #1602 of 1626 Old 09-06-2019, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I never did get down your way over the summer to check out your updates. Maybe some other time this year or I guess during the craw next year. Kids soccer is in full swing and tough getting away.
I hear you, always something going on! I may put my name in for a movie night early next year since it looks like this fall is taken.
Ladeback likes this.
post #1603 of 1626 Old 09-09-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Thanks for the demo. @carp room has changed quite a bit since the last time I was there. It's a very inviting room with super comfortable seating. The BOSS setup is so flexible from amusement ride to subtle added detail. Also the BEQ demo he gave has me ready to add a minidsp to my own setup. Fantastic job with the room. I love the black velvet.

You should see the Jeep today. I finally cleaned it for the first time since early June. We leave for Colorado Thursday.
Ladeback likes this.
post #1604 of 1626 Old 09-09-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tim! Have fun in Colorado, I felt like a king of the trail in our middle of the road stock Wrangler, I can't imagine what it's like in yours.
stitch1 likes this.
post #1605 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Thanks for the demo. @carp room has changed quite a bit since the last time I was there. It's a very inviting room with super comfortable seating. The BOSS setup is so flexible from amusement ride to subtle added detail. Also the BEQ demo he gave has me ready to add a minidsp to my own setup. Fantastic job with the room. I love the black velvet.

You should see the Jeep today. I finally cleaned it for the first time since early June. We leave for Colorado Thursday.
Where you headed to 4 wheel, Telluride? I drove a new Jeep Sahara Unlimited a few weeks ago that a friend was renting for work and now I want one or a Gladiator, but the wife says my truck is paid for so now.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
post #1606 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Where you headed to 4 wheel, Telluride? I drove a new Jeep Sahara Unlimited a few weeks ago that a friend was renting for work and now I want one or a Gladiator, but the wife says my truck is paid for so now.
Near there in Ouray. We will be hitting up most of the trials in the area of Telluride, Silverton, and so on. The new Jeeps are pretty nice. My wife had the opposite reaction to them. Her next vehicle will most likely be a Gladiator. We are waiting to see how the diesel does though. That gives us some time to save money. Jeep is pretty proud of their new products.

To get back on topic. I was talking to a guy last night who is very interested in building a theater in his new home. I told him he should come visit some local rooms or join the theater tour when we do it next. He had some nice amps and things given to him but wasnt ever bit by the home theater bug until now. His idea of good speakers is Sonos. I think I blew his mind telling him about some of our setups last night.
Ladeback likes this.
post #1607 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5622 Post(s)
Liked: 5459
Carp what are those ceiling speakers you are currently using's name again? Still happy with them?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1608 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Near there in Ouray. We will be hitting up most of the trials in the area of Telluride, Silverton, and so on. The new Jeeps are pretty nice. My wife had the opposite reaction to them. Her next vehicle will most likely be a Gladiator. We are waiting to see how the diesel does though. That gives us some time to save money. Jeep is pretty proud of their new products.

SWEET, I've always wanted to go there. With my wife it is either the theater and basement gets finished or a new Jeep, not both. Also waiting to see what the new Bronco will look and preform like.

Have a safe trip. I miss playing on the rocks and mud.

To get back on topic. I was talking to a guy last night who is very interested in building a theater in his new home. I told him he should come visit some local rooms or join the theater tour when we do it next. He had some nice amps and things given to him but wasnt ever bit by the home theater bug until now. His idea of good speakers is Sonos. I think I blew his mind telling him about some of our setups last night.

That's interesting about the Sonos speakers, one of the guys at Best Buy I worked with on buying our new TV wants to go with all wireless Sonos speakers for his theater speakers. I said you can do a lot better then that, but he is in an apartment. I told him to invite the neighbors over and they can't complain. Heck I just would like to get my 15" subs in my Klipsch KPS-400's fixed so they don't hum for more bass.
stitch1 likes this.

post #1609 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Carp what are those ceiling speakers you are currently using's name again? Still happy with them?
Here you go Brandon:

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

They works just fine for ceiling speakers. I hear more content from then than I did with the JBL's but I think it's because they are higher up because obviously they are lower quality compared to the SCS8's.

They work well enough that I haven't thought even one time about replacing them.
post #1610 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here you go Brandon:

https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/

They works just fine for ceiling speakers. I hear more content from then than I did with the JBL's but I think it's because they are higher up because obviously they are lower quality compared to the SCS8's.

They work well enough that I haven't thought even one time about replacing them.
I think BIG has recommended these before. I have this paged saved as well for possible DA speakers.
carp likes this.

post #1611 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Stopped by carp's room briefly last night on my way to jedimastergrants house.

Sheldon's room is ALWAYS a real treat to experience. HUGE screen, great sound, tactile bass beyond the pale!

Always a top shelf experience! Sheldon's BOSS integration with his front row and riser provides tactile feedback that probably would require a seismometer to accurately depict to anyone who hasn't been there. At this point, it's gone to plaid.

I could/would just spend all evening there relaxing, listening, and enjoying! Thanks for letting @stitch1 and I stop by for the short demo session! You've got a great room that just raises the bar every time I experience it!
That youtube is hilarious....I know you said it over in the BOSS thread and I thought maybe it's a Missouri/Kansas thing. I lived in Missouri for a few years but never heard that term before. But, that was back in the mid-90's. That's so funny to watch the youtube now.

Your's and @carp 's setups sound way cool. If the opportunity presents itself with the larger get together that's being planned for next year, I'm looking forward to experiencing the different BOSS implementations.
carp and Archaea like this.
post #1612 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
That youtube is hilarious....I know you said it over in the BOSS thread and I thought maybe it's a Missouri/Kansas thing. I lived in Missouri for a few years but never heard that term before. But, that was back in the mid-90's. That's so funny to watch the youtube now.

Your's and @carp 's setups sound way cool. If the opportunity presents itself with the larger get together that's being planned for next year, I'm looking forward to experiencing the different BOSS implementations.
Hey Tim, the creator of the craziness that is BOSS will on on the invite list for sure, it will be great to meet you! BOSS has been one of my favorite upgrades I've ever done.
trhought likes this.
post #1613 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey Tim, the creator of the craziness that is BOSS will on on the invite list for sure, it will be great to meet you! BOSS has been one of my favorite upgrades I've ever done.
I'm looking forward to the opportunity. Not many AV enthusiasts down here to hang with. You guys are up there are fortunate to have such a great group of folks to take the enjoyment of our hobby to the next level....ahem....to Plaid!
post #1614 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Tim, you have to watch Spaceballs!
post #1615 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah...definitely....I was thinking the same thing after watching the youtube clip. I presume it's one of those movies best enjoyed in company along with some adult beverages! Looking forward to it.
post #1616 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Yeah...definitely....I was thinking the same thing after watching the youtube clip. I presume it's one of those movies best enjoyed in company along with some adult beverages! Looking forward to it.
Exactly, it's one of those that gets much better over time and reciting lines makes you laugh more than watching the actual movie.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #1617 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Exactly, it's one of those that gets much better over time and reciting lines makes you laugh more than watching the actual movie.
Thought so...a Monty Python kind of thing....we wore those tapes out in college! Not sure how we missed space balls

Out of curiosity I just googled space balls and found this interesting tidbit from Wikipedia "Tesla Motors has used Spaceballs' starship speeds (Light Speed, Ridiculous Speed, Ludicrous Speed, Plaid Speed) as inspiration for naming their acceleration modes. In homage to Spaceballs, Tesla has Ludicrous Mode for acceleration beyond its Insane Mode, and Plaid Mode, overtop Ludicrous" How cool is that. I've heard about the Ludicrous mode but not the Plaid mode....that's so funny.
carp and d-rail34 like this.
post #1618 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Haha, chuckled reading that.

Other lines you may have heard:

"She's gone from suck to blow!!"
"I see your schwartz is as big as mine."

"I'm surrounded by a**holes...."
"Keep firing a**holes!!"

Archaea, trhought, femi and 1 others like this.
post #1619 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ha....I've heard those before! I've gotta check out the movie
carp likes this.
post #1620 of 1626 Old 09-10-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just watched the clip.....ROTFL!!
carp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Tags
Cerwin Vega Cv 5000 High Performance Power Amplifier , Jtr Noesis 212ht 212ht Lp , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d , Panasonic Dmp Bd80k Blu Ray Player , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page