New House - New Theater - Page 19 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 254Likes

post #541 of 592 Old 11-18-2018, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked: 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Admittedly, I have never heard of "Chad B", but based on your enthusiastic recommendation I may have to put his services in my flex budget when I get up and running, assuming I get a projector which deserves 8 hours of calibration service like your RS4500.

Add a Roon to that list as well!
ChadB is the "go to" guy for video calibration for many AVSer. Ken Whitcomb is another guy. Chad is less expensive on the one hand but way busier on the other. He's been doing this since 2002 and a very nice guy. And you would like him because he is easily as fastidious as you are.

The image on all of my JVC projectors "out of the box" has been excellent. He makes them even more excellent !!
GPM, tigerhonaker and TMcG like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 592 Old 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I would NOT use high laser 100% of the time if noise were no issue. On the vast majority of HDR movies, it just isn't necessary. To your eyes, you may perceive it differently and want more lumens. And sometimes, even high laser won't brighten up a super dark screen (Think of some of the scenes in Bladerunner 2049).

Your situation is different than mine. Your screen is probably greater than unity gain BUT, you don't have the Panamorph lens which add about 30% more light.

But just like most everything else in the hobby, everyone has their own preference. And you may prefer to use high laser for everything you watch.
Audioguy,

Thanks for the Matter-of-Fact reply on using High-Laser.
Well as it stands I'm using Medium Laser for everything but HDR material.
I'm pretty sure my RS4500 switches to High-Laser (Automatically) when it sees that flag.
I will make a Final-Decision after Chad B. comes and does his thing.

Thanks again,
Terry

JVC RS4500 Laser Projector:
My "New" Home Theater Up-Dates with Pictures, March 6th, 2019 .
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...st-2018-a.html
post #543 of 592 Old 11-18-2018, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Audioguy,

Thanks for the Matter-of-Fact reply on using High-Laser.
Well as it stands I'm using Medium Laser for everything but HDR material.
I'm pretty sure my RS4500 switches to High-Laser (Automatically) when it sees that flag.
I will make a Final-Decision after Chad B. comes and does his thing.

Thanks again,
Terry
It switches to the HDR setting automatically when it sees HDR but that can be set up for Low, Medium or High Laser. It is very easy for you to switch to Med Laser in your HDR setting.
tigerhonaker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #544 of 592 Old 11-19-2018, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Quote:
It switches to the HDR setting automatically when it sees HDR but that can be set up for Low, Medium or High Laser. It is very easy for you to switch to Med Laser in your HDR setting.
Audioguy,

I think I'm good for right now so I'll chill until Chad B comes.
Also I'll simply see when he (Chad) does his custom settings what is the "Real-World-Difference" between Medium & High-Laser on HDR material.
In my case since I actually use the HT almost 7-days a week it might be smart for me to use Medium-Laser if there is not really all that much difference.
I figure even with me running my system usually 7-days a week if I use Medium-Laser I probably will not wear out the RS4500 at my age.

I appreciate all your Feedback buddy.

Terry

post #545 of 592 Old 11-20-2018, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Yesterday, I watched some additional footage, both SDR and HDR and I am totally blown away by this projector. The clarity and crispness of the image, the 3 dimensional feel, the color, uniformity, brightness are certainly more than I expected. As good as it was prior to ChadB doing his thing, once it was calibrated, it really moved to a significanlty different level.

So very glad I spent the money for this projector (plus the minuscule amount to get the very best out of it by ChadB).
craig john and tigerhonaker like this.
post #546 of 592 Old 11-20-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Cool

Quote:
Yesterday, I watched some additional footage, both SDR and HDR and I am totally blown away by this projector. The clarity and crispness of the image, the 3 dimensional feel, the color, uniformity, brightness are certainly more than I expected. As good as it was prior to ChadB doing his thing, once it was calibrated, it really moved to a significanlty different level.

So very glad I spent the money for this projector (plus the minuscule amount to get the very best out of it by ChadB).
I love reading your Feedback on the RS4500
And especially the End-Results after Chad B did his thing.

T.

post #547 of 592 Old 11-21-2018, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I got Roon up and running pretty quickly once the SGC i5 Sonic Transporter shows up. I had the music files stored in 2 places: on the Bluesound Vault 2 hard drive and on a backup USB drive (which, as it turns out, was created prior to me fixing all of the album covers that the Vault 2 did not find). For convenience and speed sake, I copied the data from the USB drive to my NAS but quickly realized that I was missing cover art for all of those albums that I had previously fixed. So now, I am making a backup of what is on my Vault 2 which I will them move to my NAS. I tried the copy/past function from the vault to the NAS but got errors on 3 different attempts.

The good news: the SGC is an excellent product on which to run Roon Core and it comes pre-installed on the product, as does the OS, I assume created from Unix by SGC. I find it incredible how much technology they can now cram into such a small enclosure (I was a computer programmer in the late 60's and early 70's and those computers would easily fill up most of the first floor in our current home). And it is about as plug 'n play as you can imagine once you figure out the stupid way the Roon wants you to help it find your data on a NAS. And it has 47 trillion settings, most of which I will never touch. I also like that it makes it very easy to use the app (tablet, phone or computer) to play music in any Roon end point (in our case, a Sonos in our family room also used for TV audio). For a lot of the music, it provides lyrics. And the interface works very quickly at least on my almost new iPad.

BUT, I am still trying to figure out the "killer feature set" that seems to make this product so attractive to so many that my Bluesound Vault did not already have. It does have some unique features such as it will provide lyrics to some of the music, it shows other music by the same artists. And, when you search, it will look at your library and Tidal.

What I really do not like and I do not like it A LOT, is the very odd inconsistency in the way you scroll on your screen to look a various albums. For music on Tidal, you scroll up and down but for music in my library, you scroll left and right (maybe that is adjustable but I sure could not find how to change it). My Vault has the ability to use my Amazon Music as part of searching and Roon appears not to???

I have another 12 days to evaluate during the freeRoon trial period but at this instant in time, I really am looking for a reason to keep it. What are the features that everyone seems to like so well? Please share!!
post #548 of 592 Old 11-21-2018, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1672
In terms of music playback, the Vault looks like an excellent platform, almost identical to Roon. The main difference I see is that Vault makes no mention of DSD support, and a lot of my 5.1 music is in DSD64 format, thanks to SACD extractions. These would presumably have to be converted by something like JRiver into PCM/FLAC for Vault. Not the end of the world.

Roon not only handles DSD (either as native DSD or decimated on the fly to a PCM format of your choice), but it also streams DTS “CD” files and Dolby TrueHD and Atmos bitstreams (as from Blu-ray music discs) via HDMI. It does not decode them, though, so these would not work with certain endpoints like Sonos.

I came to Roon after Apple obsoleted the ATV Gen1, blocking my ability to update the library. Turns out that was a happy bridge to burn, as Roon’s multi-format hi-res support has expanded my access to 5.1 discs that were often left idle on the shelf. Now they're in daily rotation like the rest of the CD collection.

Roon’s random play modes are quite effective. One can just randomly play the whole library, or seed the process by genre by playing a chosen song first. And it offers deeper option for music selection based on year, artist, format, etc, etc, in any combination.

If you want to know something about the artist or the album playing, just click the links and see it. Sure, one can do that with Google, too, sort of.

I am not a Roon power user, so there’s probably much more to it than I use.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #549 of 592 Old 11-21-2018, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
In terms of music playback, the Vault looks like an excellent platform, almost identical to Roon. The main difference I see is that Vault makes no mention of DSD support, and a lot of my 5.1 music is in DSD64 format, thanks to SACD extractions. These would presumably have to be converted by something like JRiver into PCM/FLAC for Vault. Not the end of the world.
I don't use a DAC, only digital-in on the Trinnov - which can't handle DSD - only up to 24/96. So that is of no benefit to me.

Quote:
Roon not only handles DSD (either as native DSD or decimated on the fly to a PCM format of your choice), but it also streams DTS “CD” files and Dolby TrueHD and Atmos bitstreams (as from Blu-ray music discs) via HDMI. It does not decode them, though, so these would not work with certain endpoints like Sonos.
Now that might be interesting. What about movie (vs music) Blurays? I have all of my movies ripped in MKV format and am currently using the Dune to play them. The interface on Dune is not stellar. What software do I need to add to the Roon core to be able to do that? But now that I think about it, my SGC doesn't have an HDMI output.

But since my Oppo is Roon ready, maybe it could be the "player" of the ripped movies??? For BR playing, don't you have to point Roon to a different folder or are yours all in the same place?

Quote:
I came to Roon after Apple obsoleted the ATV Gen1, blocking my ability to update the library. Turns out that was a happy bridge to burn, as Roon’s multi-format hi-res support has expanded my access to 5.1 discs that were often left idle on the shelf. Now they're in daily rotation like the rest of the CD collection.
I'm confused. How does Roon work with shiny discs?

Quote:
Roon’s random play modes are quite effective. One can just randomly play the whole library, or seed the process by genre by playing a chosen song first. And it offers deeper option for music selection based on year, artist, format, etc, etc, in any combination.

If you want to know something about the artist or the album playing, just click the links and see it. Sure, one can do that with Google, too, sort of.

I am not a Roon power user, so there’s probably much more to it than I use.
I will have to just explore all of the possibilities and see how I might better use the product. If I did not already own the Music Vault, this would have been a great (and less expensive) solution. We shall see.

And thanks for your response. If you ever find yourself wandering around the southeast part of the US with nothing better to do, give me a call. It would be fun to meet.

Last edited by audioguy; 12-21-2018 at 08:11 AM.
post #550 of 592 Old 11-21-2018, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2903 Post(s)
Liked: 1672
Quote:
I don't use a DAC, only digital-in on the Trinnov - which can't handle DSD - only up to 24/96. So that is of no benefit to me.
My SSP-800 cannot handle native DSD either, so Roon feeds it 5.1 as 24/88.2.

Quote:
Now that might be interesting. What about movie (vs music) Blurays? I have all of my movies ripped in MKV format and am currently using the Dune to play them.
Roon will not play movies. I am using Kodi for the very few videos I have ripped as MKV. Mostly for product testing purposes so I don't have to jockey among a bunch of different test discs. Kodi was my first attempt to replace the obsolete AppleTV, and while it worked, it was fussy about the album art file tagging. Roon was much more pleasant.

Quote:
But now that I think about it, my SGC doesn't have an HDMI output.
That's an issue with certain audiophile streaming hardware, for some reason. So I'm using a dedicated Win7 PC for all my media.

Quote:
For BR playing, don't you have to point Roon to a different folder or are yours all in the same place?
All my media files on a single HDD inside the media PC, filed in several folders by type just for my convenience -- Roon does not care. Also have a separate folder for all the Christmas music, and I just enable that folder in Roon's Storage menu when I want to hear them merged into the random play list.

Quote:
I'm confused. How does Roon work with shiny discs?
All DVD-A, BD, and SACD content has first been ripped in its respective native audio format, same as for CDs. I have a handful of software programs installed on the media PC, plus a cooperative SACD player, to perform all that ripping business.

Quote:
And thanks for your response. If you ever find yourself wandering around the southeast part of the US with nothing better to do, give me a call. It would be fun to meet.
I'd love that! Your theater has always been one of my favorites -- can only imagine what it must sound and look like now.

We're conveniently located on the way to nowhere in particular here in NW Oregon. If you're ever wandering through these parts, let me know!

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #551 of 592 Old 11-22-2018, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
I'd love that! Your theater has always been one of my favorites -- can only imagine what it must sound and look like now.
Thank you. Yours has always been on my watch list as well. REALLY love your new theater. Some very clever and tastefully done work. And I have no doubt, that it sounds and looks incredible.

I must confess that our video is as good as I have seen anywhere. May not look like Art Sonneborne's (have not seen his) but for my much smaller screen, it is way better than good enough. And the audio is better than I have ever owned so I am very pleased with both. The issue I have with my audio (and have for the last well over 40 years) is the question that keeps randomly popping into my head: "I wonder what it would sound like if I adjusted .............".

Quote:
We're conveniently located on the way to nowhere in particular here in NW Oregon. If you're ever wandering through these parts, let me know!
You live in a beautiful part of our country. Someday, I would like to visit the Pacific Northwest. And you never know, I ended up visiting a guy's mega expensive two channel system (Steve Williams when he was still on AVS) across the SF Bay when we went Wine Country Touring.
Roger Dressler likes this.
post #552 of 592 Old 11-30-2018, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 390 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5475 Post(s)
Liked: 5281
Hey Chuck, just saw today in my emails that Plex is now teamed up with Tidal, which allows for custom library curation among other things kind of like what you're doing with Roon. Might be worth a shot if you aren't getting what you want out of Roon. Free trial at the very least

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #553 of 592 Old 11-30-2018, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Hey Chuck, just saw today in my emails that Plex is now teamed up with Tidal, which allows for custom library curation among other things kind of like what you're doing with Roon. Might be worth a shot if you aren't getting what you want out of Roon. Free trial at the very least
I am way too far down the path on Roon to look elsewhere. I purchased the Small Green Computer THIS BOX that is Roon specific and has a drive and memory to rip and store movies (though I am storing them on my NAS). No turning back so I also paid the Roon license fee --- for LIFE.

I don't even have to select the Roon input on my Trinnov. Once I start up Roon, the Roon input gets selected automatically! I am already discovering things that it does that I like very much. I am here to stay. Of course there is the interface to my library as well as Tidal and sometime next year, Qobuz!! And I can download music if I so desired (not sure why I would). That should just about cover all of my music needs. I was looking for THE killer feature in Roon. I'm not sure there is such a thing. It seems to do many smaller things better than what I have been using. And it's one of those products where you just keep discovering new capabilities.

Roon would be doing themselves a GREAT service with a well done youtube video SLOWLY walking through some of the key features and how to use them - but that's just me.

The ONLY thing in the AV department I am lacking is a SUPER streaming device for my stored MKV files. The Apple TV would be it if it could handle full bitstream Atmos, but it can't. So for now I am using the Dune. It works and the audio and video are fine but the interface is still too clunky for me.

Last edited by audioguy; 12-01-2018 at 06:19 AM.
post #554 of 592 Old 12-20-2018, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have made some cosmetic changes to the room.

When I undertook the project to cover the existing treatment with black GOM frames, I wanted to use beveled edges but could not find anyone to make the frames and I didn't want to buy the tools. So I built some functional but less attractive than I wanted and much larger than I wanted just to get it done. I did recently find someone (Acoustimac) to build them for me and have now finished the front side walls as I wanted to originally.

As an FYI, the speaker grill covers are only off if I am planning to listen to music - not watch movies.

post #555 of 592 Old 12-21-2018, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Audioguy (Chuck),

I'm glad I just now saw this E-Mail notice on your HT.

I doubt my words/wording will do a very good job on what I think but I'm willing to give it a shot buddy.

Your Home Theater pictures you just posted last evening look truly to me like the Real-Deal for a Dedicated Home Theater !!!
I have seen a lot of HT pictures of all different ones small, medium and of course the truly large.
Your's to me looks like a place a fellow (Wife and or Family) could actually ENJOY day after day for hours upon hours.

Simply "Outstanding" ...

Thanks so much for sharing with all of us on AVS,
Terry

post #556 of 592 Old 12-21-2018, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Terry:

Thanks for the kind words. I do enjoy it a lot. I am hoping that now that I have a light source that I don't need to worry about, I will use it more frequently. I also use the room for music so I don't use the 4500 for that. I absolutely love our theater every time we watch anything in there. My sound system is as good as any I have ever heard and, of course, the video is spectacular.

I started this "home theater" journey in about 1984 (front projection TV with surround speakers), built my first REAL home theater in 1992 and it has been non-stop to this point. I was even in the audio business for about 10 years officially and unofficially about 40 years (on and off).

Most of my theater "decorating" ideas I stole borrowed from others on AVS.

I am comfortable saying that I have no significant upgrades in mind for a very long time (I committed to my wife at least 5 to 10 years for PJ, processor, speakers, and amps.)

Thanks again. Crazy but fun hobby.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #557 of 592 Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

In the FWIW department, I have switched from Tidal to Qobuz. Why? A couple of reasons. Qobuz has REAL high rez music vs the MQA nonsense of Tidal - and more of it. Secondly, with Tidal, I continued to have the "music" of JayZ and his buddies thrown in my face - and I am not a fan of that genre (and that's being kind).

At the moment, the Qobuz library is smaller than that of Tidal and the high rez files are more limited than they will be but I have received a response from Qobuz that they are adding more and more files daily. And besides, I can't listen to all of the music that is available to me today so waiting a bit for them to fully flesh out their library is no big deal.

As an admission of more of my many character flaws, I am a conspiracy theorist at heart. But rather than me stating all of the reasons why I believe MQA is nonsense (and much, much worse), and if you care to do any research, check out the following links:

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

https://davidsusilouncensored.wordpr...it-a-cure-all/

https://www.schiit.com/news/news/why...supporting-mqa

https://music-room.com/magazine/insi...d-for-or-needs

And a single quote from Mark Waldrep that sort of sums up my position:

"In my humble opinion, the only people that will benefit from MQA are the principals at MQA, their investors, audiophile writers (they have something new to write about), and content companies that will be able to resell their catalogs once again at premium prices."

I could go on and yes, I know there are arguments stating why MQA is the next great thing in audio. Have I heard MQA? Yes and that is one of MANY reasons I think it is pure nonsense!

This is just my personal thing. In fact, I feel so strongly about it that it that the word "scam" comes to mind. You are more than welcome to have the complete opposite view.

Last edited by audioguy; 02-20-2019 at 07:41 AM.
post #558 of 592 Old 02-20-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
In the FWIW department, I have switched from Tidal to Qobuz. Why? A couple of reasons. Qobuz has REAL high rez music vs the MQA nonsense of Tidal - and more of it. Secondly, with Tidal, I continued to have the "music" of JayZ and his buddies thrown in my face - and I am not a fan of that genre (and that's being kind).

At the moment, the Qobuz library is smaller than that of Tidal and the high rez files are more limited than they will be but I have received a response from Qobuz that they are adding more and more files daily. And besides, I can't listen to all of the music that is available to me today so waiting a bit for them to fully flesh out their library is no big deal.
DOes Qobuz integrate with your roon stuff or is all that gone too now?

post #559 of 592 Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
DOes Qobuz integrate with your roon stuff or is all that gone too now?
It does or I would not have switched. And if one is so financially inclined, it supports both simultaneously (and at the same time ).
post #560 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Apparently, it's not over until it's over.

I have just ordered a Lumagen RadiancePro to "complete" my video chain. It was Dynamic Tone Mapping that got me to make the decision to do this. I will be using the services of Craig Rounds to perform my video calibration as he was one of the two names provided to me by Lumagen. I also bought the Lumagen from him as well. I owned a Lumagen many moons ago when I decided to learn basic video calibration utilizing CalMan. That did not go well. Other than being able to easily set brightness, contrast and adjust gray scale, the rest may as well be a foreign language. So this time, I made the decision to hire someone who actually understood the ins and outs of video to do the work for me. And apparently unlike others, Craig does the majority of all of the calibration inside of the Lumagen vs inside of the projector. I'm sure I will get a better explanation of why he prefers doing it that way when he gets here to do the work.

This move to fully embrace HDR has turned out to be incredibly expensive: JVC RS4500, Panamorph Paladin Lens; Lumagen Processor AND calibration of same. And as was the case for purchasing the RS4500, I have no idea what kind of improvement I might expect with the addition of the Lumagen. If it is as profound as was the improvement from the 4500, I will be a very happy camper. I must confess that prior to finally seeing what HDR was all about (thanks to @beastaudio for spending time enlightening me) my "good enough" level for video was far less costly than my "good enough" for audio. That, clearly, has changed.

I guess the good news is that short of spending the price of a new home for the ultimate projector, there are no more video upgrades to be made (hopefully).

Last edited by audioguy; 04-25-2019 at 05:17 AM.
post #561 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Apparently, it's not over until it's over.

I have just ordered a Lumagen RadiancePro to "complete" my video chain. It was Dynamic Tone Mapping that got me to make the decision to do this. I will be using the services of Craig Rounds to perform my video calibration as he was one of the two names provided to me by Lumagen. I also bought the Lumagen from him as well. I owned a Lumagen many moons ago when I decided to learn basic video calibration utilizing CalMan. That did not go well. Other than being able to easily set brightness, contrast and adjust gray scale, the rest may as well be a foreign language. So this time, I made the decision to hire someone who actually understood the ins and outs of video to do the work for me. And apparently unlike others, Craig does the majority of all of the calibration inside of the Lumagen vs inside of the projector. I'm sure I will get a better explanation of why he prefers doing it that way when he gets here to do the work.

This move to fully embrace HDR has turned out to be incredibly expensive: JVC RS4500, Panamorph Paladin Lens; Lumagen Processor AND calibration of same. And as was the case for purchasing the RS4500, I have no idea what kind of improvement I might expect with the addition of the Lumagen. If it is as profound as was the improvement from the 4500, I will be a very happy camper. I must confess that prior to finally seeing what HDR was all about (thanks to @beastaudio for spending time enlightening me) my "good enough" level for video was far less costly than my "good enough" for audio. That, clearly, has changed.

I guess the good news is that short of spending the price of a new home for the ultimate projector, there are no more video upgrades to be made (hopefully).
Love the theater and looks like a nice upgrade is coming with the Lumagen. We both know...deep down inside...you are lying to yourself with this quote. Thats a thing HT enthusiasts tell their wives to buy some time
post #562 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Love the theater and looks like a nice upgrade is coming with the Lumagen. We both know...deep down inside...you are lying to yourself with this quote. Thats a thing HT enthusiasts tell their wives to buy some time
Thanks.

Certainly, past history would strongly suggest you are absolutely 100% correct. But I just can't imagine what would replace this particular projector or the Panamorph or the Lumagen.

I have no doubt that eventually "screen walls" will get to a price that normal humans could afford but then they have to figure out a way to make them acoustically transparent. And at my age, I just don't see that happening in my life.

BUT, I've made similar "no more upgrade" proclamations before - multiple times, so we shall see

Last edited by audioguy; 04-25-2019 at 05:45 AM.
post #563 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 06:04 AM

Since the lumagen can also do dynamic aspect switching and stuff, will you now get rid of the Paladin?

post #564 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since the lumagen can also do dynamic aspect switching and stuff, will you now get rid of the Paladin?
The Paladin provides an extra 30% brightness so I'm not sure why I would get rid of it. But you know way more about this stuff than I do.

What I am interested in on the Lumagen is it's ability to do, what I call "intelligent squeezing" so that maybe I can watch college football and other sports in 2:35 (vs 16x9) and lose less of the information on the top and/or bottom of the screen.
post #565 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
The Paladin provides an extra 30% brightness so I'm not sure why I would get rid of it. But you know way more about this stuff than I do.

What I am interested in on the Lumagen is it's ability to do, what I call "intelligent squeezing" so that maybe I can watch college football and other sports in 2:35 (vs 16x9) and lose less of the information on the top and/or bottom of the screen.
Which it will definitely do. I guess my question though would be for widescreen formats where the DCR gets you that added 30% due to zooming and removal of the black bars (vertical compression, therefore light is focused only on-screen), and if the lumagen accomplishes the same concept, but just doing it digitally rather than via a lens. If the Lumagen got even half the brightness back, I'd be inclined to just forget about an anamorphic lens altogether.

The dynamic tone mapping by itself is huge, the above is simply an added bonus. I'm already getting very tempted down this path myself. Anyone that has used the lumagen or madvr for the dynamic tone mapping says it's hands-down a must for anyone serious about HDR.

Last edited by beastaudio; 04-25-2019 at 06:55 AM.
post #566 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thumbs up

Hi Chuck,

Well my AVS internet buddy I'd like to add my congratulations to this next improvement to your video chain.

You know if I/We were actually much-much more into the HDR, 4K Ultra HDR I would maybe go for the new/latest/greatest Lumagen.

We just don't so once I read that over on the Dedicated JVC RS4500 thread that wrapped it up for me adding it.

I will say though since Cathy & I both are so in AWE of the picture from the base RS4500 all is A-OK on this end with what we have.

Enjoy Big-Guy,
Terry

post #567 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess my question though would be for widescreen formats where the DCR gets you that added 30% due to zooming and removal of the black bars (vertical compression, therefore light is focused only on-screen), and if the lumagen accomplishes the same concept, but just doing it digitally rather than via a lens. If the Lumagen got even half the brightness back, I'd be inclined to just forget about an anamorphic lens altogether.
Shawn of Panamorph would have to address that. I think that is above my pay grade !

It would be nice if that were the case as I could sell my lens. But there must be something to it as there are lots of folks with Lumagen and Panamorph combinations!!
post #568 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Hi Chuck,

Well my AVS internet buddy I'd like to add my congratulations to this next improvement to your video chain.

You know if I/We were actually much-much more into the HDR, 4K Ultra HDR I would maybe go for the new/latest/greatest Lumagen.

We just don't so once I read that over on the Dedicated JVC RS4500 thread that wrapped it up for me adding it.

I will say though since Cathy & I both are so in AWE of the picture from the base RS4500 all is A-OK on this end with what we have.

Enjoy Big-Guy,
Terry
It is all about the way we use our theaters. We use ours for movies on shiny disc, as well as college football and occasionally an Amazon or Netflix movie that would benefit from the improved audio and video. And virtually all of my recent movie purchases have been HDR. So for the same reason I purchased the projector and anamorphic lens in the first place, adding DTM via the Lumagen really does make sense.

But you and your bride spend much more time in your theater viewing more non-HDR sources. Apparently, MUCH MORE. So the addition of a Lumagen makes less (if any) sense. As you said: "Cathy & I both are so in AWE of the picture from the base RS4500". There is a whole lot to be in awe about.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #569 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Looks like I found where the party is happening...
All this talk of video upgrades and I am still working with my "ancient" 3 year old RS500.. LOL

Sounds like some fun upgrades are a coming!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #570 of 592 Old 04-25-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Looks like I found where the party is happening...
All this talk of video upgrades and I am still working with my "ancient" 3 year old RS500.. LOL

Sounds like some fun upgrades are a coming!
Your "ancient" RS500 is a superb projector (that is what I had prior to this most recent splurge of insanity). And with the right kind of calibration, it works well for HDR. Improved tone mapping in general and dynamic tone mapping in particular can just take it to the next level. The beauty of the Lumagen is that is can be around for many years and is "projector agnostic".

Your invite is still open!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page