New House - New Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 248Likes

post #31 of 586 Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked: 3096
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

That's so great that you have arrived. Your video setup sounds like a real winner as well. It does sound like you are at, or near the end of the journey. I guess the only other thing is if native 4k. I am assuming that if that comes down the pike for movies, you will move into that area and that would be it. But I have no doubt that your system is reference ++.

The 4K Media Player has about 50 4K movies stored on it, Sony is releasing more all of the time and NetFlix just announced the availability of 4K streaming.

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 586 Old 01-14-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

The 4K Media Player has about 50 4K movies stored on it, Sony is releasing more all of the time and NetFlix just announced the availability of 4K streaming.
I did not realize they had that many movies. That's pretty cool.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #33 of 586 Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I did not realize they had that many movies. That's pretty cool.

While the native 4K stuff is nice, a well done Bluray unconverted to 4K and using an anamorphic lens is VERY close in many cases. Some of the nature videos look awesome but for everyday stuff, no complaints about regular Blu Ray
biga6761 likes this.

Psalms 24:4-5 ][ Music by Leslie Austin on Spotify--- & her newest release 'Nobody'[/URL] ][ The Oconee Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 586 Old 01-14-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Awesome set up, love the space +color scheme.

Djoel
post #35 of 586 Old 01-14-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

While the native 4K stuff is nice, a well done Bluray unconverted to 4K and using an anamorphic lens is VERY close in many cases. Some of the nature videos look awesome but for everyday stuff, no complaints about regular Blu Ray
I have to say that Craig's system looks outstanding as well. I think he up converts but what ever he does, his picture from his projector is really good.
P.S I tried looking to see where the download site was for those movies on Sony's site but I could not find it. I would just be curious to see what they were.

My System
post #36 of 586 Old 01-14-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52

Hey Chuck did you get a chance to revisit The Art of Flight with the new PJ? I bet that BD is just way over the top on your new system.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #37 of 586 Old 01-14-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post

Hey Chuck did you get a chance to revisit The Art of Flight with the new PJ? I bet that BD is just way over the top on your new system.

It is spectacular. I watch at 2:35 using anamorphic lens..and the audio is also
excellent

post #38 of 586 Old 01-15-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I thought your last room was jaw dropping, this looks just as sweet SWEETER! biggrin.gif Truly Awesome set up!! cool.gif
Do you notice an improvement in having the center channel vertically behind the AT screen vs your previous horizontal set up below the screen?
post #39 of 586 Old 01-15-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 1345
Quote:

I have to say that Craig's system looks outstanding as well. I think he up converts but what ever he does, his picture from his projector is really good.
P.S I tried looking to see where the download site was for those movies on Sony's site but I could not find it. I would just be curious to see what they were.
Chuck previously had the same projector I currently have, the JVC RS-55. It upscales to a resolution slightly less than 4K using a pixel duplication and shifting algorithm called E-Shift. I think what Chuck is saying is that the native 4K Sony is a big step up over the E-Shift Faux-K of the JVC. PC just released a review of the Sony and they seem to agree: http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vpl_vw600es_4k_projector_review.htm?em

Craig

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
post #40 of 586 Old 01-15-2014, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

I thought your last room was jaw dropping, this looks just as sweet SWEETER! biggrin.gif Truly Awesome set up!! cool.gif
Do you notice an improvement in having the center channel vertically behind the AT screen vs your previous horizontal set up below the screen?

I appreciate the complement.

One of my strengths is taking another person's good idea and stealing them. I took the lead from CraigJohn on the AT screen for the center channel. I did not think that having the center speaker below the screen was much of a negative until I heard it behind the screen. It's not like the difference between Audyssey on and off but certainly moves one a whole lot closer to a real cinema experience. And the occasional distraction of having actors voices come from some place other than where they were speaking has been completely eliminated. Very definitely glad I did it (thanks Craig). And I would recommend that anyone thinking about a new theater or a theater re-do strongly consider it.

I was urged by some during the process of my theater build to put the left and right behind the screen as well. If this room were only to be used for movies, I probably would have done so. Bu the majority of my time in the room is listening to music. And I was not willing to give up the imaging that comes from correct left and right speaker placement into the room. But that's just me.

post #41 of 586 Old 01-16-2014, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Chuck previously had the same projector I currently have, the JVC RS-55. It upscales to a resolution slightly less than 4K using a pixel duplication and shifting algorithm called E-Shift. I think what Chuck is saying is that the native 4K Sony is a big step up over the E-Shift Faux-K of the JVC. PC just released a review of the Sony and they seem to agree: http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony_vpl_vw600es_4k_projector_review.htm?em

Craig
Got you Craig. That review is pretty impressive. So that Sony is Native 4k. Really cool stuff. Craig, yours is the probably the highest resolution image on a big screen that I
have seen to date(in a HT). I have yet to see 4k in it's native state(in a HT) so I really can't comment on a difference. I do know that it looks like my server has the ability to up convert the signal to well above 1920x1080. Although that would obviously be a faux format as well. But my current TV can't handle anything like that so I am just at regular BR resolution.
But it would be cool to see 4k at some point. Anyway, Chuck, your system is just super outstanding now. I know you enjoy it and you should.

My System
post #42 of 586 Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OT. I cannot remember how to change a URL to a name confused.gif Anyone help??

post #43 of 586 Old 01-16-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

OT. I cannot remember how to change a URL to a name confused.gif Anyone help??

Do you mean your want to type something like read here and show the link on the two words show here  If so highlight the two words then hit the chain link icon above and insert URL address.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #44 of 586 Old 01-16-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
post #45 of 586 Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Do you mean your want to type something like read here and show the link on the two words show here  If so highlight the two words then hit the chain link icon above and insert URL address.

Thanks you sooooo much. I was trying to make it REALLY difficult eek.gif

post #46 of 586 Old 01-16-2014, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

You mean like this:

New House - New Theater

Thanks ...

post #47 of 586 Old 01-17-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Visited my dealer today to get a part and saw the Sony 1000 projected on a 14 foot wide screen (16 x 9). UNBELIEVABLE !! It was like being in a theater. I thought my 10 foot wide screen was large but this is 2.5 times the square footage of mine !! I was sitting too close as I could not see the entire screen without moving my head.

Apparently, with projectors screens, its "go big or go home!!

With the 600 and 1000, Sony has really hit a home run.

post #48 of 586 Old 01-19-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked: 2074
Quote:

I can't tell from the photos but do you have any kind of room treatment?

I just ordered bass traps from acoustimac and absorption panels from Vicoustic (thanks to Kris Deering, never heard of them until his thread). This is my first time getting into room treatments..hope they pay off smile.gif

Looks like both the Cats and the Noesis were at this weekends GTG...along with Danleys. I would have loved to be there as I am sure having all three speakers in one room to demo won't be repeated. Like I said, my next toy is probably a 4K projector but I will probably hold off another year until the next models come out....hopefully a litt cheaper biggrin.gif
post #49 of 586 Old 01-24-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Let me explain what was done with acoustic treatment: The screen wall has 2 inches of absorptive material behind the screen (since the screen is AT);

The side wall first reflection point use 3 GIK q7D's on each side. These are also used in the center of the rear wall (3) surrounded by Monster Traps with Scatter Plates (2)

We use Monster Traps with Scatter Plates on the rear wall (2) as well as three each on each rear side wall:

In each of the front two corners we use what GIK calls Soffit Traps which are 17" x 17" x whatever length needed:

On the ceiling we have four 244 Bass Panels which are suspended about 5 inches.

And lastly we built soffit bass traps into all wall ceiling intersections stuffed with fiberglass from Home Depot.

It is still a bit early to decide but it may be just a tad too dry for my taste but I will live with it for several months before I decide if it is an issue. GIK also plans to make a visit once everything is dialed in.

post #50 of 586 Old 01-24-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Chuck, I don't know if you had checked out my thread lately but I went and visited with the GIK people just before Christmas vacation and ended up buying 2 regular size 244 bass traps and one custom made one to go above my display that was 12" by 64". I did that for a two fold reason, 1) it was agreed upon with Glenn, the owner, that it would help with the flutter echos and 2) it helps bring out the contrast on the display since we went with the black fabric. If you go to my first post you will see how they look. It made a huge difference in my room and made the speakers simply disappear from view. The sound is so enveloping now. They are a great group of ppl and had my order done in less than 24 hours. I can't wait to come hear your system and if you are ever near my area , if you remember where I live,  you should stop in for a few.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #51 of 586 Old 01-24-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey Chuck, I don't know if you had checked out my thread lately but I went and visited with the GIK people just before Christmas vacation and ended up buying 2 regular size 244 bass traps and one custom made one to go above my display that was 12" by 64". I did that for a two fold reason, 1) it was agreed upon with Glenn, the owner, that it would help with the flutter echos and 2) it helps bring out the contrast on the display since we went with the black fabric. If you go to my first post you will see how they look. It made a huge difference in my room and made the speakers simply disappear from view. The sound is so enveloping now. They are a great group of ppl and had my order done in less than 24 hours. I can't wait to come hear your system and if you are ever near my area , if you remember where I live,  you should stop in for a few.

Awesome. And you are correct, they are a great group of people with good products at fair prices. I ma glad you got great results. Are the two standard 244's behind your front speakers. I like the custom one they made for over your TV.

I really do want to hear your system. Mine is still quite not ready for prime time but am getting closer!

post #52 of 586 Old 02-04-2014, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

This past weekend I finally re-ran Audyssey and then used the Mark Seaton sub distance measurement trick and got incredible FR on all channels. Then I listened to a bunch of demo cuts from action movies.

The sonic differences in this room and my last are pretty dramatic. And 95% of those differences are due to the fact that the theater sits on a second floor; with wooden sub flooring with zero wall support underneath other than where the theater walls sit. So I have approximately 500 SF of flooring subject to 9600 watts of Seaton SubMersives. For impact kinds of bass, it is tight and clean and awesome. But for the lower frequency stuff; the entire room moves ---- A LOT!! For those who have spent money and energy on butt kickers or other seat moving technologies, I win eek.gif

Unfortunately, I was never a fan of the seat moving systems (butt shakers/tactile transducers) and I'm not a great fan of what is happening in my room. On some material, it does enhance the experience but on others, it is very distracting. But short of moving yer again, (ain't happenin') I will have to learn to live with it. I will also confess that I do have some concerns on the long term possibilities of structural damage to my home. In a concrete bunker like my last home theater it was more difficult to sense the amount of air that 4 SubMersive move. Pretty scary !!!

post #53 of 586 Old 02-04-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This past weekend I finally re-ran Audyssey and then used the Mark Seaton sub distance measurement trick and got incredible FR on all channels. Then I listened to a bunch of demo cuts from action movies.

The sonic differences in this room and my last are pretty dramatic. And 95% of those differences are due to the fact that the theater sits on a second floor; with wooden sub flooring with zero wall support underneath other than where the theater walls sit. So I have approximately 500 SF of flooring subject to 9600 watts of Seaton SubMersives. For impact kinds of bass, it is tight and clean and awesome. But for the lower frequency stuff; the entire room moves ---- A LOT!! For those who have spent money and energy on butt kickers or other seat moving technologies, I win eek.gif

Unfortunately, I was never a fan of the seat moving systems (butt shakers/tactile transducers) and I'm not a great fan of what is happening in my room. On some material, it does enhance the experience but on others, it is very distracting. But short of moving yer again, (ain't happenin') I will have to learn to live with it. I will also confess that I do have some concerns on the long term possibilities of structural damage to my home. In a concrete bunker like my last home theater it was more difficult to sense the amount of air that 4 SubMersive move. Pretty scary !!!

Well if 4 SubMs are giving you sleepless nights I would be glad to take a couple of them off you hands. I'll even use one of my work trucks to come pick them up to save you the mula on shipping. :p

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #54 of 586 Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
Quote:

You may be able to buy isolation feet to decrease the tactile sensation, or you could embrace it with a set of Crowson Transducers set to a low setting in order to deliberately control the tactile sensation you do get.  This way, the tactile response will be more deliberate and may alleviate the mental concern of the unintentional tactile sensation.  Another suggestion would be to build a small riser, fill it with sand, and cover it in the same carpet as your floor. Might cost you $1000 tops.

post #55 of 586 Old 02-06-2014, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

You may be able to buy isolation feet to decrease the tactile sensation, or you could embrace it with a set of Crowson Transducers set to a low setting in order to deliberately control the tactile sensation you do get.  This way, the tactile response will be more deliberate and may alleviate the mental concern of the unintentional tactile sensation.  Another suggestion would be to build a small riser, fill it with sand, and cover it in the same carpet as your floor. Might cost you $1000 tops.

I'm no expert on these matters but I don't know if either of those options would solve the problem. The volume of air pushed by the 8 drivers and 9600 watts will move the floor (and walls and ceiling) no matter where they are placed. As you know, the SubMersive cabinets are pretty inert so isolating the feet or building a riser won't stop all of the cubic inches of air getting pushed around the room.

So far, it has not been an issue for music:)

post #56 of 586 Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm no expert on these matters but I don't know if either of those options would solve the problem. The volume of air pushed by the 8 drivers and 9600 watts will move the floor (and walls and ceiling) no matter where they are placed. As you know, the SubMersive cabinets are pretty inert so isolating the feet or building a riser won't stop all of the cubic inches of air getting pushed around the room.

So far, it has not been an issue for music:)
Hey Chuck. As you know, my small room is on the second floor. I only have one SubMersive HP but I do supplement it with a Crowson setup for my main chair. This allows me the ability to play a movie and what would be considered insanely low in these parts tongue.gif, but still feel like I am part of the movie. I do agree though a riser really won't don much. I bought a big Gramma for my sub but in reality, it's probably not doing much. But it's a mental thing for other people and at least it looks like I made the attempt to help. With all of your power, just putting them on risers probably won't do much. If you want real isolation, you already know what you have to do. A solid core door with a sweep at the bottom is a start. The heavier the better. But you really need to do a room in a room design probably with GG. That's probably your best chance of trying to contain as much as you can. The only issue with that is, the bass and sound are going to find the path of least resistance. Which in your case, if you do GG on the walls will be your floor or conversely, if you are on the first floor, the ceiling. Unless you find a way to take care of that as well, you will still have some issues as well. Anyway, those are my thoughts. Take them for what they are worth.

My System
post #57 of 586 Old 02-08-2014, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I use DiracLive on my server for listening to music but Audyssey on my 80.2 for movies. I run the digital output from my server to the 80.2 so that I can use it for bass management but turn off Audyssey.

Here are the 3 curves of the left front speaker+ sub comparing no correction, to Audyssey to Dirac. I used the 9 recommended position for Dirac and 9 recommended positions for Audyssey.

You can see the improved response in the critical area between about 200hz and 1K with Dirac. I really prefer the sound of Dirac and that is why I have the Emotiva SSP on order to give it a go.

post #58 of 586 Old 02-14-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have previously stated that for 2 channel, I prefer Dirac over Audyssey. I took 9 measurements with each and according to the preferred methodology for selecting the measurement positions. While you can see the two plots are "close" there is a substantive difference in the upper bass/lower midrange area.

I have no clue if these differences would be audible with a 7.2 system!!

AudysseyvsDirac.pdf 114k .pdf file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AudysseyvsDirac.pdf (114.2 KB, 177 views)

post #59 of 586 Old 02-14-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So the darker blue line is the Dirac line? It does look better. Now correct me if I am wrong, but you can use Dirac Live for movies and music. I mean the Dirac system seems to be the one in the higher end pre-amps like the Datasat and Theta Digital right? It seems ADA use that other one called Trinnov. I am assuming that the Dirac system in those other pre-amps are meant to EQ the system for music and movies, not just music. Are you saying that Audyssey is "better" then Dirac Live for movies or just better "in your system." Just wondering that's all. All of the new EQ systems and audio formats are enough to make my head spin tongue.gif.

My System
post #60 of 586 Old 02-21-2014, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm not saying Audyssey is better for movies but at this time I only have Dirac for 2 channel. Hearing the differences between the two on 2 channel is not difficult. But what I don't know is if the differences between Dirac on an SSP (e.g. emotiva) and Audyssey on my 80.2 with a 7.2 system will be audible!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page