New House - New Theater - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 256Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #571 of 596 Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,403
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Shawn of Panamorph would have to address that. I think that is above my pay grade !

It would be nice if that were the case as I could sell my lens. But there must be something to it as there are lots of folks with Lumagen and Panamorph combinations!!
I am in contact now with Kris actually so he could shine some light on the subject as well.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #572 of 596 Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,434
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
The Paladin provides an extra 30% brightness so I'm not sure why I would get rid of it. But you know way more about this stuff than I do.



What I am interested in on the Lumagen is it's ability to do, what I call "intelligent squeezing" so that maybe I can watch college football and other sports in 2:35 (vs 16x9) and lose less of the information on the top and/or bottom of the screen.


Chuck, my man! Go to the 47 second mark of this video I made in 2012 on how to setup Lumagens to do this. It starts with The Avengers, a 16:9 blu ray, and a the hit of a button, it completely fills my then-2:35 screen:


You’ll find that the intelligent squeezing is quite pleasing!

In 2013, I had a massive Super Bowl party using this exact method—everyone was floored by the experience of the big game on the 120” 2:35 widescreen I was rocking back then! A couple guys were into projection, but had only seen football games with bars on the sides....it blew their minds that I was filling the screen!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
AudioFan810 likes this.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #573 of 596 Old 04-26-2019, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Matt: Thanks so much. It is very natural looking. Is that something the Lumagen can do automatically when it sees 16x9 material?

College football is going to be better than ever (as are the few 16x9 discs I own). Non linear stretch and Dynamic Tone Mapping. A birthday present from me to me - a few months early
BrolicBeast likes this.
audioguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #574 of 596 Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,434
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Matt: Thanks so much. It is very natural looking. Is that something the Lumagen can do automatically when it sees 16x9 material?



College football is going to be better than ever (as are the few 16x9 discs I own). Non linear stretch and Dynamic Tone Mapping. A birthday present from me to me - a few months early
The auto-detect feature is about 95% perfect. A couple hiccups here and there...I used to use it, but I think mapping a button is the best solution. You'll be using it more and more IMAX enhanced discs ate released

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 04-26-2019 at 12:10 PM.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #575 of 596 Old 04-26-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,403
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
The auto-detect feature is about 95% perfect. A couple hiccups here and there...I used to use it, but u think mapping a button is the best solution. You'll be using it more and more IMAX enhanced discs ate released

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I had just asked this in the lumagen thread and hadn't gotten a response so thank you for that. I was curious about how well the lumagen handles the mixed AR movies and if it was all fully automatic. It appears from your response that it is. Thanks Matt.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #576 of 596 Old 04-26-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,434
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I had just asked this in the lumagen thread and hadn't gotten a response so thank you for that. I was curious about how well the lumagen handles the mixed AR movies and if it was all fully automatic. It appears from your response that it is. Thanks Matt.
Happy to help! So the variable aspect ratio movies....there's about a half second lag before the Lumagen changes the AR....that's an impressively short processing time, but it can take a viewer out of the experience. My preference is in the dark Knight clip in the video I posted above...engage cropping above and below the screen border so the image is seamless throughout. When the scene transitions from Harvey Dent reaching for joker to Bruce Wayne's Lamborghini....that's a 2:35-to-IMAX 16:9 transition, but it's seamlessly all 2:35 onscreen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #577 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 11,593
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Apparently, it's not over until it's over.
Let me fix that for you...


"It's never over!"


I can't count how many times I've heard you say: "I'm done with upgrades."


The only good news is that you no longer blame ME for your upgrade-itis.



Craig
BrolicBeast and llang269 like this.

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
craig john is offline  
post #578 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
Let me fix that for you...


"It's never over!"
Apparently !!


Quote:
I can't count how many times I've heard you say: "I'm done with upgrades."
Approximately 4 (but who's counting)

Quote:
The only good news is that you no longer blame ME for your upgrade-itis.
Of course I don't blame you any longer (there are now others who I can point my finger at). Who I DO blame is AVS Forum --- and my own addictive personality !!!!
tigerhonaker and gwthacker like this.
audioguy is offline  
post #579 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

The ONLY thing in the AV department I am lacking is a SUPER streaming device for my stored MKV files. The Apple TV would be it if it could handle full bitstream Atmos, but it can't. So for now I am using the Dune. It works and the audio and video are fine but the interface is still too clunky for me.
I am in the exact same predicament. I know many people tout the nvidia shield but I have not found it to be very easy to setup to achieve the lossless audio and bit for bit video I require.

I would be curious to know where you are at with this now. I am using my oppo203 network to access my mkv files on my synology ds918+ nas. The video and audio is perfect but the user interface is slow and not very attractive. I wanted that PLEX/K-Scape appearance to showcase the significant investment in titles! Plus the metadata etc just makes it nicer for browsing 100s of movies.
nbynw is online now  
post #580 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbynw View Post
I am in the exact same predicament. I know many people tout the nvidia shield but I have not found it to be very easy to setup to achieve the lossless audio and bit for bit video I require.

I would be curious to know where you are at with this now. I am using my oppo203 network to access my mkv files on my synology ds918+ nas. The video and audio is perfect but the user interface is slow and not very attractive. I wanted that PLEX/K-Scape appearance to showcase the significant investment in titles! Plus the metadata etc just makes it nicer for browsing 100s of movies.
I got rid of the Dune and am now using Nvidia with Plex. The ONLY thing I don't like about Plex is it always upsamples 1080P to 4K (since I have a 4K projector) and I want my Lumagen to do that. There are two other apps that I have tried that do not upsample (MrMC and Kodi) and those interfaces are as bad as the Dune. But for now, I will live with those. I used my Oppo for a while, but it is by far the most user unfriendly interface,
audioguy is offline  
post #581 of 596 Old 04-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I got rid of the Dune and am now using Nvidia with Plex. The ONLY thing I don't like about Plex is it always upsamples 1080P to 4K (since I have a 4K projector) and I want my Lumagen to do that. There are two other apps that I have tried that do not upsample (MrMC and Kodi) and those interfaces are as bad as the Dune. But for now, I will live with those. I used my Oppo for a while, but it is by far the most user unfriendly interface,
OK - Im going back to PLEX. I started with PLEX, then read that KODI was better so tinkered with that for a few days. I found KODI to be quite slow and visually unappealing and just generally unacceptable. I will investigate PLEX in the coming days. I know what you mean about the upscaling...I own a Lumagen also.

Thanks very much
nbynw is online now  
post #582 of 596 Old 04-29-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,403
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post


The only good news is that you no longer blame ME for your upgrade-itis.



Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post


Of course I don't blame you any longer (there are now others who I can point my finger at).
Yea now I get mentioned by Chuck as his inspiration to do all these crazy video upgrades. All because I helped him get a taste of proper HDR/2020 with his old decrepit rs600. Didn't even have to twist his arm on all these latest upgrades. It's me now, so you're welcome Craig.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #583 of 596 Old 04-29-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 11,593
Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 1416
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yea now I get mentioned by Chuck as his inspiration to do all these crazy video upgrades. All because I helped him get a taste of proper HDR/2020 with his old decrepit rs600. Didn't even have to twist his arm on all these latest upgrades. It's me now, so you're welcome Craig.

THANK YOU!!!

Lombardi said it:
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System
craig john is offline  
post #584 of 596 Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,403
Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5504 Post(s)
Liked: 5319
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post
THANK YOU!!!
No prob! Now it's me that sees the notification that Chuck has mentioned me to which I wonder, "What thousands of dollars is he putting over my head now?" Haha. I hope he isn't listening.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is offline  
post #585 of 596 Old 04-29-2019, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yea now I get mentioned by Chuck as his inspiration to do all these crazy video upgrades. All because I helped him get a taste of proper HDR/2020 with his old decrepit rs600. Didn't even have to twist his arm on all these latest upgrades. It's me now, so you're welcome Craig.
While it is fun to "blame" someone for "forcing me to spend" obscene amounts of money for A/V equipment, I could not be more pleased with the over the top improvements these changes have made in the theater. For the moment, (at least) not a lot of places to spend big bucks - so I guess I will just have to enjoy what I already have (now THAT'S a unique concept) !!
beastaudio likes this.
audioguy is offline  
post #586 of 596 Old 05-01-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,434
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
While it is fun to "blame" someone for "forcing me to spend" obscene amounts of money for A/V equipment, I could not be more pleased with the over the top improvements these changes have made in the theater. For the moment, (at least) not a lot of places to spend big bucks - so I guess I will just have to enjoy what I already have (now THAT'S a unique concept) !!
You say things like "no more upgrades" and "I'm content", and my mind only sees this:


No such thing as being "done" in this hobby!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
audioguy, llang269 and gwthacker like this.
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #587 of 596 Old 05-24-2019, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
You say things like "no more upgrades" and "I'm content", and my mind only sees this:


No such thing as being "done" in this hobby!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My college degree was in Applied Math (156 years ago) and that chart you displayed gave me heart palpitations, sweaty palms, and other such unpleasant feelings.
audioguy is offline  
post #588 of 596 Old 05-25-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
appelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: A Hilton property near you!
Posts: 767
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
My college degree was in Applied Math (156 years ago) and that chart you displayed gave me heart palpitations, sweaty palms, and other such unpleasant feelings.
I doubled in Math and Physics since that combo got me out of a foreign language requirement. All emotions and feelings were burned out of me.
jamin likes this.

Adam Pelz ,Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
JBL Master ARCOS Calibrator, CEDIA Designer, Home Acoustics Alliance Instructor LIII, THX HT1+ HT2+ Video, Level III Trinnov Altitude Calibrator
Mercenary Calibrator for Manufacturers, Integrators and System Owners
appelz is offline  
post #589 of 596 Old 05-25-2019, 07:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: moot point
Posts: 1,155
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 67
And I think math is the first foreign language that should be taught and mandatory at that 😊
Uh, not that I'm any good at foreign language, hah.
appelz and BrolicBeast like this.

plug in to play
Acoustic Mafia - Hear No Evil
jamin is online now  
post #590 of 596 Old 05-25-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by appelz View Post
I doubled in Math and Physics since that combo got me out of a foreign language requirement. All emotions and feelings were burned out of me.
My plan was to get a Masters in Math and in order to do that, I was required to take either Russian or scientific German. I chose the later - and did poorly - and then chose not to go after the Masters !!
appelz likes this.
audioguy is offline  
post #591 of 596 Old 06-15-2019, 02:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi...just checking how the Lumagen works for you after the calibration and if you got the "intelligent squeezing" working for you, yet? If so, how is that going for you? A Lumagen Radiance Pro is on my list for our upcoming media room. I'm seriously thinking of getting Kris Deerling to come to my house to do the calibration when we are ready.

Thanks,
Ralph
AudioFan810 is offline  
post #592 of 596 Old 06-16-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFan810 View Post
Hi...just checking how the Lumagen works for you after the calibration and if you got the "intelligent squeezing" working for you, yet? If so, how is that going for you? A Lumagen Radiance Pro is on my list for our upcoming media room. I'm seriously thinking of getting Kris Deerling to come to my house to do the calibration when we are ready.

Thanks,
Ralph
I am still living with the calibration on the 4500 done by ChadB and only using the Lumagen for DTM. Craig Rounds, the person from whom I purchased the Lumagen and who will do the calibrations is waiting (at my request) for someone else near me to get his Lumagen ready so that I can share travel expenses with him and save some money.

And "living with" is still amazing. You can turn DTM on and off and watch what it does to the image. Sometimes subtle and sometimes jaw dropping, but in 95% of the cases, a great improvement. And each upgrade improves upon what is already a great product. I am very anxious to see what it looks like once Craig does his 3D LUT calibrations, primarily using only the Lumagen vs doing most in the projector.

As for "seriously thinking" about getting a Lumagen, don't. Just buy one. Money notwithstanding, what it does with HDR and DTM makes it a "required" component for any serious projector-based home theater. Can you "get by" without one? Of course, but don't.

Whether you use Craig Rounds or Kris Deering or some other super qualified calibrator, I agree that is really the best course unless you know how to do those kinds of things yourself. I don't so have always had my PJ's calibrated. I actually had my first Runco projector calibrated by Runco. Then all of my other CRTs were calibrated by a guy named John Gannon. An excellent calibrator and a great guy who died way too young. ChadB has done my last two projectors. And actually Adam Pelz (the Trinnov/Datasat whiz kid) re-calibrated my previous RS500 when I installed a new bulb and everything turned green.

And I have not diddled with "intelligent squeezing" yet as I have been trying to find a better solution for a player to use to view my ripped movies, and it has taken way too much time. ALL of them I have tried (AppleTV, Dune, Nvidia/Plex and now Zidoo) have various serious shortcomings so it is all about selecting the one whose shortcomings you can live with. And it appears I will be going back to the Shield given there is a work-around (using the Lumagen) of it's only serious shortcoming.

Anyway, that is my situation, and sorry for sort of wandering OT!
AudioFan810 likes this.

Last edited by audioguy; 06-16-2019 at 04:35 AM.
audioguy is offline  
post #593 of 596 Old 06-16-2019, 09:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for the update. The Lumagen RP is definitely on my to-buy list. The serious part for thinking is having KD travel to my house for calibration services...the critical issue being travel cost . Paying solely for KD's travel time and cost will eat a lot out of my equipment budget. I like what you are doing...maybe I can find someone(s) in my area who will be interested in his services and will split the travel cost.
AudioFan810 is offline  
post #594 of 596 Old 06-19-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BrolicBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Charles County, MD
Posts: 5,434
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 2096
Hey Chuck! Just got my second Shield for the Dolby Atmos Gym! Working very well—integrates seamlessly with the Shield in the cinema, thanks to Plex. I can pause in the cinema, and pick up where I left off in the gym when I start a workout. Really cool stuff.

Just sharing in case you wanted to get a second shield for somewhere else in the house for seamless playback across different locations.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
BrolicBeast is online now  
post #595 of 596 Old 06-19-2019, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Thanks.

The only TV we use has Plex as a built in app!! The guy that will be doing my video calibration bought Shields but is using Kodi and can get it to pass source video and access all of my sub folders. I’m using Plex now but will try Kodi when he comes,
audioguy is offline  
post #596 of 596 Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,061
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4563 Post(s)
Liked: 3328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldmc View Post
Ooo. This is awesome!I envy you!
Thank you. I do very much appreciate your kind response. It only took 40+ years to finally get to this point!
tigerhonaker likes this.
audioguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off