First Living Room HT setup...Value for money priority - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 09-07-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Thanks very much for the compliments guys.

Ray- The screen is made of a pine frame, with spandex screen material. There are two hooks permanently installed in the ceiling and when we are going to have a movie night, I hang the chains from the hooks, and then hang the screen from these. The screen goes up against a wall in my office when not in use. It's really light so I can easily set it all up without any help. I wanted an AT screen so I couldn't have bought or DIY'd a pull-down screen without it being prohibitively expensive for me, or a massive engineering effort so I just went with a removable fixed 110" screen.

Some may say it would be a pain to setup every time you watch a movie, but it seriously only takes two minutes to setup, and one minute to put away. And being a fixed location, there is no messing around with the projector either. But I am a setup fiddler, so it doesn't bother me at all.

If I had one suggestion for those setting up living room setups - Fixing the projector to the ceiling, wall or in a fixed location like a fixed coffee table or something just makes the whole setup process SO EASY! Do it. You won't regret it.

BTW- Your theater looks awesome Darthray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 09-07-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 3456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudyoVidyo View Post
Thanks very much for the compliments guys.

Ray- The screen is made of a pine frame, with spandex screen material. There are two hooks permanently installed in the ceiling and when we are going to have a movie night, I hang the chains from the hooks, and then hang the screen from these. The screen goes up against a wall in my office when not in use. It's really light so I can easily set it all up without any help. I wanted an AT screen so I couldn't have bought or DIY'd a pull-down screen without it being prohibitively expensive for me, or a massive engineering effort so I just went with a removable fixed 110" screen.

Some may say it would be a pain to setup every time you watch a movie, but it seriously only takes two minutes to setup, and one minute to put away. And being a fixed location, there is no messing around with the projector either. But I am a setup fiddler, so it doesn't bother me at all.

If I had one suggestion for those setting up living room setups - Fixing the projector to the ceiling, wall or in a fixed location like a fixed coffee table or something just makes the whole setup process SO EASY! Do it. You won't regret it.

BTW- Your theater looks awesome Darthray!
Thanks for the compliment and the answer to my question.

Ray
post #33 of 42 Old 10-31-2014, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Great setup and superb job with the Screen. Very impressive to have done it for $150.

Are you satisfied with the output of the 460HO Driver in the Marty Cubes?

I have been considering them along with the Stereo Integrity HT-18 and the Dayton UM18-22's.

Just like you I am looking for most bang for my money and I hav a living room setup as well.

Do you feel you are getting the Bass (SPL) and the Tightness in the Bass that you were looking for with the Two Subs.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
Great setup and superb job with the Screen. Very impressive to have done it for $150.

Are you satisfied with the output of the 460HO Driver in the Marty Cubes?

I have been considering them along with the Stereo Integrity HT-18 and the Dayton UM18-22's.

Just like you I am looking for most bang for my money and I hav a living room setup as well.

Do you feel you are getting the Bass (SPL) and the Tightness in the Bass that you were looking for with the Two Subs.

Thanks.
Thanks mate. I am quite happy with the 460's I haven't heard any driver protests at all and I listen pretty loud. With two of them they model up to about 118dB at 20Hz (for both of them together) in WinISD. I haven't really found their limits. More the limits of the house, and our ears. Only clipped the amp a couple of times running it way hot for some bass tests. I can't comment on the other drivers but I believe the UM is happier in a slightly larger box. Perfect for the 460 and HT though.

As for 'tightness,' that has a lot to do with the room so every room will be different. All you can do really is adjust phase and EQ to get it sounding as best as you can, and certainly treat the room. However I get a blank stare when I talk about bass traps with my better half.
post #35 of 42 Old 11-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudyoVidyo View Post
Thanks mate. I am quite happy with the 460's I haven't heard any driver protests at all and I listen pretty loud. With two of them they model up to about 118dB at 20Hz (for both of them together) in WinISD. I haven't really found their limits. More the limits of the house, and our ears. Only clipped the amp a couple of times running it way hot for some bass tests. I can't comment on the other drivers but I believe the UM is happier in a slightly larger box. Perfect for the 460 and HT though.

As for 'tightness,' that has a lot to do with the room so every room will be different. All you can do really is adjust phase and EQ to get it sounding as best as you can, and certainly treat the room. However I get a blank stare when I talk about bass traps with my better half.
I copy you on the blank stares, any upgrade to the HT is met with the same stare ( why not Diamonds lolol).
post #36 of 42 Old 11-07-2014, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Updated pics in the OP of the completed Cubes.
post #37 of 42 Old 11-07-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Those cubes turned out sweet - nice job. That's a great looking entertainment setup.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #38 of 42 Old 11-11-2014, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Spanglo. I love your avatar.
post #39 of 42 Old 06-04-2017, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Update 05/06/17: Not really a budget build anymore...
Presenting the all newly pro-cinema sound enforced 'Value for money priority....sort of...home cinema!!!

New additions:
3x JBL 3677's
4x JBL 8320a's
1x JBL 4645C clone (diy)
Bean bags!

femi and unretarded like this.

Last edited by AudyoVidyo; 02-01-2018 at 02:19 AM.
post #40 of 42 Old 06-04-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
Nice !

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #41 of 42 Old 02-01-2018, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE 01/02/2018:
WHAT HAPPENED!!!???
So its been a while since I updated y'all on things.

Sad news is... 1 month ago we had to move out of that rental house, and so I had to completely dismantle my cinema. It was a very, very sad day for me.

Good news is... my wife & I just bought our first house after saving our butts off for a deposit/down-payment! Bad news is that our last rental house was 200m2 (or 2153sq.ft) and had two living areas, however our new home is 80!!! (or 861sq.ft) Ah well what can ya do. That's the sacrifice for getting into your first home I guess. Let's just say it can only get better from here!

So I pulled out the old QA's and have made do for now until the renovations start. More info on that to come soon...

Here's some pics of the new living room space (which will change significantly with the upcoming renovations). Please excuse the 'family-life-mess'! Yes things have changed a little with the blessed additions of not just one, but TWO little tackers running around. Life changes every day and your home cinema must simply adapt. But with new challenges comes new opportunity.

And yes, all my good JBL gear is in storage for now. Ugh! it sounds even WORSE saying it out loud! Projector in storage. Screen in storage. (Behind the couch as you can see haha.) Bean bags in storage. The 2xQA surrounds are on the floor facing the ceiling dodgily taking me backwards to 5.1. Seriously, its like being sent back through a time-warp!

Still, I can say that I am really enjoying fall back in love with my old budget setup. These 2050i's really are great sounding speakers for the price.

New updates to come as they unfold(/improve).

Last edited by AudyoVidyo; 02-01-2018 at 02:52 AM.
post #42 of 42 Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all,
So, as above, we recently moved into our first bought house after renting for a decade or so. Yay! The only caveat, is that is rather small, and I don't have a dedicated HT room anymore. Dang! The good news, is that it is a decent size living room and so I have set up a basic HT to get me started again. Below are some pics of the current setup. The Living room is a decent size (4.3Wx6.0Lx2.4H meters OR 14.1x19.7x7.9ft).

Possible additional sub locations

The current setup:
- 7.1 using JBL pro cinema speakers (3677 for LCR, 8320a's for surrounds),
- and currently the important part utilises two DIY 'MartyCube' subs with Dayton 18HO's for subterranean duties with about 1400W each from the EP4000.
- When we are going to watch a movie with my wife, I just pull the recliners forward off the back wall to about aligned with the side surrounds. Movie commences.

Current issues to fix:
Overall its pretty enjoyable with plenty of headroom even at reference levels so the all play nice and clean relatively. HOWEVER, I am missing the much desired MID-BASS and having some room mode/null issues at our MLP's. Limited sub placement options don't help the situation (first world problems I know). As usual the room shape is not perfect with the Dining/Kitchen area behind a wall with a large opening near the rear right of the theater room, and hallway off to the right of the screen. Not perfect but what room ever is.

POSSIBLE ROOM MODE/NULL SOLUTION:
So my first thoughts are that I need two more subs to assist with the room modes and nulls. The only real option would be on the back wall about 1/4 the width of the room in from the side walls. (see picture) The right side technically doesn't have a wall but is open to the dining, but I would just be going by the main room width.

UPDATE!
Ok so I have ordered 4x PA460's to put in some 23Hz tuned ported boxes (same tune as the Martycubes to help minimise phase issues) to try and punch out some more midbass.
I have also just received a UMIK-1 to see what my room is doing and to test/graph the placement of the new subs when they are ready.
At the moment, I am leaning towards - all 4x PA460's behind the screen for the 3677's to sit on, and the Martycubes at the back of the room at 1/4 room width wall placement.
Will update this thread with my progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page