Spanglo's 6.4.4 Atmos Living Room Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 4 Post By Spanglo
  • 1 Post By briansxx
  • 2 Post By Spanglo

post #1 of 9 Old 10-31-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 498 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Spanglo's 6.4.4 Atmos Living Room Home Theater

This is my second WYSC thread. The first one Setup For a Small Apartment was created 5 years ago, but due to the many equipment and room upgrades I thought it best to start a new thread to show where I'm at now, and with some history of the road I took to get there. It was a fun trip down memory lane, and of course I have AVS and its many wonderful members to thank/blame for everything you're about to read.

Earlier this year I decided to rearranged my 5.1 living room to look more like a dedicated theater. Surprisingly my significant other agreed, so I quickly sold off all the furniture, much of the gear, and started fresh. I got a new projector, larger screen, recliner couch, and new upgraded speakers. The idea was to go for better immersion, with a 125" 2.35:1 screen at 10' viewing distance, 7.1 sound, and use black velvet to mask the screen and side walls.

I enjoyed the new 7.1 setup for a short time before I upgraded to a Denon X5200 receiver, adding 4 overhead speakers for 6.4.4 TF + RH Atmos configuration. Atmos was an automatic buy for me - it was just that great at the theater.

Gear

HTPC
Denon X5200 reciever
Optoma HD25e projector
DIY Crites CS-1 Main speakers
Klipsch KSB 3.1 side surrounds
Klipsch KSB 1.1 Top Forward overhead
Klipsch XB-10 Rear Heights
Klipsch KSF-10.5 rear surrounds
4 sealed subwoofers, 2 DIY Dayton 18", and 2 SVS SB12
DIY ClassDaudio SDS-470 2CH amp 600W/Ch RMS
MinDSP 2x4

Room Treatments

Black out curtains for the windows
Black velvet curtains for the sidewalls
Fabric wrapped ceiling
Screen wall masked with black velvet acoustic tiles
3 corner bass traps 9"x12" pink fluffy stuff
2 24"x24"x4" bass traps
2 24"x48"x4" bass traps
4 polycylindrical diffusers, 2 on each side wall to scatter high frequencies, and filled with 5" of pink fluffy stuff for absorption

Below is the basic layout and speaker configuration. Front stage consists of left, right Crites CS-1 mains, bookshelf speakers for overheads, 4 subs, one at each wall mid point, and the 4th sub elevated 3.5' off the ground in the right rear corner.

Now for a little history.

I've been interested in HT every since I was preteen. My first "HT" system consisted of hooking up the family VCR to my Father's quadraphonic sound system. From that point on I never used TV speakers again.

After college I got my first big screen, a 53" Sony rear projection TV. For the speakers I used 2 sets of Altec Lancing 2.1 computer speakers for a simulated surround sound. I thought I was cool back then with my fake surround, dual subs, and for using my modded xbox as a media streaming device.

A few years later around 2006 I moved up to HD with a new 56" Samsung DLP TV, Onkyo hdmi receiver, JBL bookshelf's for mains, dual 10" subs, with HTiB Onkyo satellites for surround. Also built my first HTPC, which is that silver thing that looks like a mail box. At this point in time I just wanted a real surround sound system to go with my new HD display. In the first week I blew the woofers in the JBLs, so I replaced them with Dayton pro drivers. Got a lot of use out of that system with nonstop gaming/music/movies.

Around 2008 I upgraded to a 720P projector with a 100" 16:9 screen, Harman Kardon receiver, new HTPC, Klipsch KG 5.5, KSC-1 center speakers, I re-purposed the modded JBL bookshelf's as surrounds, and built a media server out of the old htpc. I had recently joined the AVS forum, was slowly learning the ins and outs of HT, and this was my first attempt at creating a movie theater experience at home. My focus early on was getting the best bang for the buck, with the ultimate goal of having a reference capable system. I decided to go the high sensitivity speaker route and found a pair of used Klipsch KG 5.5 towers. Finances guided that decision, as they were the highest sensitivity speakers (98dB/w) I could find for my 300 speaker budget. Score, as I didn't realize at the time just how good/capable those speakers actually were.

Between 2010-2012 I upgraded to a 2nd generation media server, 3 gen HTPC, Klipsch KV-3 center, Klipsch KSB 1.1 for surround, and dual SVS SB12 subs. It was at this time that I started to learn REW, and when I got first glance at my lousy bass response. That revelation forced me to sell off my cheapo subs, and stop running my mains full range. I invested in a single SVS SB12 sub, which I immediately fell in love, and that prompted me buy a second one for multi sub reasons. That's when I officially entered the world of Bass... having finally got around to tasting the good stuff after years of boomy, bloated bass. Also around this time I stopped going to the theaters altogether, because I finally had a sound system that bested the theaters. Well at least in my opinion. Unfortunately, that didn't last long, as late in 2012 I saw The Hobbit in a theater with Atmos sound in high frame rate 3D. I was blown away by the picture and sound of that new tech. There was no way my system could measure up to that experience.

2013 I upgraded to a Optoma HD20 projector, Denon 2113 receiver, Klipsch KLF-C7 center, built a 4th generation HTPC, dual DIY Dayton 18" HO subs, and added some DIY room treatments consisting of 3 corner bass traps and some panels for reflections. With that big front stage consisting of the KG 5.5's and the KLF-C7 (99dB/w) right in your face at ear level, I had a powerhouse of a system for a small living room. The upgrade to 1080P projector and the addition of the 18's for ULF response, took me to the next level in sight and sound. Far from perfect, but it was able to deliver a popping image and highly dynamic sound.

That brings us to the room in its current state, which is a 6.4.4 Atmos configuration. The goal was for a bigger screen at an appropriate viewing height, MLP away from boundaries, and additional surrounds.

I decided to go without a center speaker for 3 reasons. First, I got the best low frequency response with the 18" sub front and center. Secondly my big KLF-C7 center sitting on top of the sub made the screen height too high for my liking. Thirdly, the system sounds great with no center. I would've lived with a higher placed screen if sound quality was degraded by not having a center, but fortunately that was not the case.

Thanks for stopping by and listening to me share.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subs + mains.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	342953  
Nima, jsacevedo, freemeat and 1 others like this.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT

Last edited by Spanglo; 12-06-2015 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Speaker Upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-31-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Great series of posts, Spanglo. I always enjoy watching how this hobby evolves for different enthusiasts.

All the Best,

Brian
Spanglo likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-11-2014, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 136
That's a great evolution mate. Love that response curve. You can be proud of that! Are you happy with your Atmos setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudyoVidyo View Post
That's a great evolution mate. Love that response curve. You can be proud of that! Are you happy with your Atmos setup?
Thank you.

Yes, I'm very happy with the Atmos upgrade despite the lack movies avail. The ability to upmix is nice for movies, but amazing for music. I was not expecting to enjoy DSU music at all. In the past I was 2 channel music all the way, but now I'm the exact opposite. It's legit.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #5 of 9 Old 11-20-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Very nice room progression. I can imagine with those speakers and subs it's quite the experience to watch a movie. Plus I guess a 125" screen doesn't hurt either. Great job.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #6 of 9 Old 12-12-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update: decided to upgrade my rear surrounds from bookshelf speakers to towers. Found a good deal on a pair of Klipsch KSF-10.5 tower speakers. 95dB sensitivity, dual 8" woofers, 1" compression driver.

Thought these would be a good match for my side surrounds which are Klipsch KSB 3.1 speakers 94dB sensitivity, 8" woofer, and 1" compression driver. Plus there tall enough that the level of the horn is higher than the back of my couch, so they can shoot straight into my ears. Allows for better placement, as the former rear surrounds were not placed symmetrically and were at different heights too.

The tower speaker were a big upgrade, literally. But most of that has to do with better speaker placement than anything else. Playing the Dolby Amaze demo, the 360 degree wrap around sound effect is smooth and circular making what sounds like a perfect 10' circle around the MLP. For those not running rear surrounds I high recommend them. Although I understand not everyone has the space permitting.

A random internet pic of the speakers:

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #7 of 9 Old 04-15-2015, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update: additional bass traps. Had my woodworking neighbor build me three 2X4' traps, two 2X2' traps, all 4" thick.

I plan to hang two of the 2X4 traps on the side walls above the side surrounds with a 2" gap. The other 2X4 trap will go on the back wall next to the window with a 4" gap, as will the 2X2 traps. The furry pole is going to be relocated to the corner and filled with insulation for additional bass trapping.

The traps on the rear walls will have diffusion scatter plates, but the ones on the side walls will hang behind acoustic curtains to address lateral reflections.

The room should then have a nice balance of diffusion and damping considering I already have four 3X7' poly diffusers, two on each side wall.
cesar123 and willmo like this.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
post #8 of 9 Old 01-19-2016, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 1012
any updates?

or more pics of some of your other treatment additions

I haven't forgotten you mentioned coming up to OC for a Lowarhorn demo, etc. so once I tune things up a bit more, I'll see if you're still interested.

Thanks for the idea of traps over the surrounds

I've built 6 2 x 4 frames with OC703 , the panels sits on the edge of a 2" frames and when hung on the wall will create a 2" dead space behind it.
@kevi sgs and I just finished building 2 full sized marty's for his HT. KA-BOOM!

TY

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #9 of 9 Old 01-21-2016, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
any updates?

or more pics of some of your other treatment additions

I haven't forgotten you mentioned coming up to OC for a Lowarhorn demo, etc. so once I tune things up a bit more, I'll see if you're still interested.

Thanks for the idea of traps over the surrounds

I've built 6 2 x 4 frames with OC703 , the panels sits on the edge of a 2" frames and when hung on the wall will create a 2" dead space behind it.
@kevi sgs and I just finished building 2 full sized marty's for his HT. KA-BOOM!

TY
Yeah that panel you made looks sweet, with nice choice of fabric. Amazing job on those marty's too.

Well a couple of the traps can be seen in the below pic, one with a DIY Grimani 3D diffuser, the other with some foam tiles I had lying around, but the other two are behind curtains just above the side surrounds.

I'm definitely interested in a demo when you have everything sorted.

PSN - Hapi_Kilmore_v3
My 6.4.4 Living Room HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page