• 1 Post By pnMedia
  • 1 Post By pnMedia

post #1 of 3 Old 05-08-2015, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Vintage THX ...

I *think* I am correct in saying I own and still enjoy the very first set of speakers approved by Lucasfilm for Home THX. I can't believe I bought these some 20 years ago.

The story behind the purchase: I live in NYC, close to the NJ border. Back in the mid 90's I would drive into NJ to a place called Woodbridge Stereo for gear purchases (They're still in business). During a random visit I experienced a THX Wow! (Laser) Disc demo played through a Lexicon THX approved controller and a set of Snell Multimedia speakers. The setup included 3 LCR-500's, 2 SUR-500's, and 2 Sub 750's. The surrounds were bipoles, the subs passive.

Within a matter of a few months I bought 3 LCR-500's and 2 Sub-750's. My space at the time was not suitable for bipoles. And so unfortunately I didn't buy the surrounds. When I decided to run the center channel in the horizontal position - I bought the supported (HCC-500) center channel speaker with the proper tweeter orientation as seen in the pic. The misplaced speaker over on the left is the original LCR-500 used for the center channel. When I replaced my center channel speaker - I needed a stand. So I bought a third passive sub. That one is a Sub-550.

I use 3 Bryston/Lexicon amps to drive these along with a Lexicon MC-12 and a Rane THX-44 EQ. The EQ was purchased a few weeks ago, new in the box and never used for $150. For surrounds I use a pair of M&K Surround 550-THX front firing speakers.

I live in a condo/loft and don't have the space for a dedicated theater. Luckily this building was an old warehouse with solid concrete ceilings/floors. Common walls are pretty well insulated. I'm pretty considerate with regard to my neighbors. The Lex volume never exceeds -15.

And so my Snell's have held up pretty well. One of the woofers in the misplaced LCR-500 failed. I swapped it with what Snell sold as a supported replacement up until they folded. Also a dust cap on one of the subs became loose. I simply glued it with IC-2000. It's now as good as new.

Great speakers created by a legendary speaker designer that also satisfied Lucasfilm. I don't think I'll ever part with them as long as they continue to perform. Besides Blu-rays, my 1950's Jazz collection sounds great on them as well ...

-paul.
wizzack likes this.

Last edited by pnMedia; 05-09-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:
quote=pnMedia;34092842]I *think* I am correct in saying I own and still enjoy the very first set of speakers approved by Lucasfilm for Home THX. I can't believe I bought these some 20 years ago.

The story behind the purchase: I live in NYC, close to the NJ border. Back in the mid 90's I would drive into NJ to a place called Woodbridge Stereo for gear purchases (They're still in business). During a random visit I experienced a THX Wow! (Laser) Disc demo played through a Lexicon THX approved controller and a set of Snell Multimedia speakers. The setup included 3 LCR-500's, 2 SUR-500's, and 2 Sub 750's. The surrounds were bipoles, the subs passive.

NO Crazy Eddie Store ?
I thought when U said Vintage THX maybe U were talking about an Indiana Jones DVD or the real Total Recall DVD!☻

Last edited by tubetwister; 05-08-2015 at 09:48 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-09-2015, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post
NO Crazy Eddie Store ?
I thought when U said Vintage THX maybe U were talking about an Indiana Jones DVD or the real Total Recall DVD!☻

Crazy Eddie - that's a blast from the past They were the king of bait and switch. It didn't stop me from shopping there ...

-paul.
tubetwister likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page