My 11.4.12 "Franken-Atmos" living room. - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 878Likes

post #721 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Loving the BOSS sled Nalleh! Reminds me of the rocket sleds from long ago and all the pioneering experiments those sleds allowed. Your sled is the perfect TR test vehicle! Pretty awesome how flexible it can be and how it can lend itself to adding other TR building blocks such as VNF on top of the cantilevered BOSS. Hat's off to you man and your ingenuity!

After modeling the SI18HT MK1 in a BOSS application and comparing to the baseline JBL's, the technicals are as follows: The MK1 has 1.5x the excursion (22.5mm vs. 15mm) and 2.0x the Mms (357g vs. 179g). That a shaker potential of 3 times the JBL. So, on paper using the mass and excursion comparison only, it would take about 3 JBL's to equal 1 MK1.

But, when looking at the frequency response below (red is MK1 and blue is JBL), it gets a bit more interesting.

The JBL is peaky around 22-24 Hz while the MK1 starts to peak around 10 Hz and below. This is because of the loose suspension of the MK1 and resulting low FS. The other cool thing is it only takes about 150 watts of power for the MK1 to reach Xmax in the BOSS open baffle.

The MK1 has some serious potential for belting out the single digits more so than the JBL's. And, it can also hang with the JBL's in the upper frequencies when looking at the excursion curves for both in the 20Hz and higher frequencies. A pretty darn good BOSS shaker across the board!

Having this technical understanding now and sketching your BOSS sled configuration, if it were me, I'd experiment with a setup that includes the MK1 BOSS and BK only and take out the stacked MA's. What this would accomplish is removing the isolators right below the MA's and allowing the cantilevered MK1 BOSS platform to deliver the singles with some DSP help. Right now, the cantilevered BOSS effect may be compromised by the isolators right below the MA's.....below is a cantilever sketch to help illustrate.

By removing the MA's, the isolators right below them can also be removed. I think the span between the front BOSS isolators and the back BOSS isolators will still be acceptable with the stiffer framing and lumber. I'm guessing that distance is about 36 inches or so from your pictures.

By removing the MA's and mid-span isolators, the cantilevered BOSS effect may further improve. However, what is gained from the BOSS may be lost with the removal of the MA's so it may be a wash in the end. Or, you may find you just can't live without the stacked MA's even if they are taking way from some of the cantilevered BOSS effect.

One other observation after sketching your setup....if your chair has enough room underneath, you could experiment with moving the BK's closer to the back of the chair to fine tune how those add to the overall experience. The closer they are to the back legs of your chair (mid-span of the platform), the more effect they will likely have. So, the BK's could be fine tuned (placement and power) along with the MK1 BOSS to optimize the overall experience.

The good news is, if you don't like the above changes as much as your current setup, you can always add the MA's and extra mid-span isos back to the platform very easily!

Anyway, pretty awesome Nalleh! I'm sure your BOSS sled is going to help others explore the upper boundaries of what's possible in the world of TR (especially after adding VNF's and possibly SLAPS). A platform design that's very flexible for TR junkies and experimenters out there! I also love the function-over-form look of it.....especially with that big 18" upside down right behind the chair....very industrial looking and tough!

Now we just need a catchy name for your invention....something like the TRS (Tactile Response Sled) or (Tactile Response Simulator).....I don't know, pretty awesome though!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SI18HT MK1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	2569180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cantilever  Sketch.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2569192  
SBuger and Nalleh like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
^^^ Yeah if using multiple 12" in cantilever BOSS would equal 1x 18", that would be perfect, as that would make it possible to use the 18’s as NF’s. The little i tested, they seem to add more TR than my 4xJBL in NF, as the earlier VS showed. And yes they need to be close, as evidenced by the much less TR from my last VS where the NF were farther away, probably by a ft or so. And as mentioned 12" in cantilever would not require the NF’s to be so tall mounted. Win-win.

Yeah, i probably did a 100 VS measurements on the configs saturday and sunday, trying to find each drop of combined TR. With 3 components just in the TR divison + NF’s and FF’s, there is a lot to test. I tried every possible combo of phase and delay on each component and to see how they added, and yes i ended up with all on the same delay as the MA’s.

HOWEVER: what clearly gave the best curves, highest numbers AND felt best was with the BOSS AND BK OUT !! of phase with the MA’s !

BTW, in order to put the NF’s back in place with the 18" BOSS as i have it now, i need a 14 inch height plattform to clear the driver, LOL. It is still room for them behind the couch, but they will protrude above the seat back. So if the 12" could be used instead for BOSS duty, the plattform would only need to be ~ half that, like 6-7 inch height.
For the bold above, on paper it would take about 3 JBL's to equal 1 MK1.....so I could see an array of 3 JBL's stacked on top of one another kinda like pancakes serving the BOSS duty....that stack of 3 JBL's would be about 20 inches tall and allow the MK1 to serve VNF duting on top of the JBL pancake....just an idea.
post #723 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
What you're getting out of the cantilever is great. Unfortunately it also go me thinking.

I had been thinking of building an array of 12s to put VNF right up against the back of my couch. Now this has me thinking, maybe extend my riser back to add another row of subs in the cantilever position. I could then build a single row of 12s for the top edge of the couch that are on on legs rising up from the extension. It would give about 6 12s firing right at chest height VNF plus the extra cantilevered drivers. I could probably do 4 more 12s in the cantilever or possibly 4 15s or 2 18s. Hmm....
Or, do 8 more JBL's on top of each other in pancake fashion. 4 cantilevered 12" BOSS drivers on the extended shelf, then another 4 stacked on top of those all behind your BOSS-sac. That would provide a 13" high shelf for the VNF's and would give you the same BOSS shaker potential as 2.7 18's for your cantilevered BOSS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #724 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Quoted: 2395 Post(s)
Liked: 3077
@SBuger : yeah, i am pretty sure it is all connected correct, so it is strange indeed, but i don’t care: that is why we test and tune. It is not always theory and practice is the same. I think it can be because of the MA is kind of in the middle of the BK and BOSS.

Hey don’t you have like 5x 18" in nearfield now?? You could use 2 of those for cantilever BOSS and use the remaining 3 between those for VNF.

And if you use your MBM and need to elevate them, and don’t have a angled box, why not kill two birds with one stone and build a plattform that is angled so that the MBM sit on the plattform at an angle upwards?

So far i am using one channel of NU6K (non-DSP)on it. It has bottomed out, but not now, took a while to find the levels. I do have the compressor activated on the 10x10 and am still tuning it a bit, but think i am close now.

@DesertDog : thanks

That would probably work great and is along the lines of what i am planning with my NF’s. Go for it

@trhought : thanks for stopping by, awsome post, lots of info, thanks
Yes, the sled work like a charm and is very easy to modify and flexible. Each component can be moved or remove and changed out very easy, and was part of the plan to get everything tested.

Regarding your MMS figure, that is for the V2, the Mk1 has 416grams, and altough it has 22.5mm Xmax, it also has a Xmech of 43mm(one-way), so i think it is safe to say it can handle a bit more

Actually "disabling" the MA’s is rather easy, just take out the upper front iso’s and mute the MA’s in the mindsp, leaving the MA part inert, and remove the mid span iso’s, done in 8 second And yes this and a lot of other this like placement and number of iso’s and also moving the components is thing i will test going forward. Heck, i can even test the BK in the cantilever position

The 2x4’s is 55 inch long, so by moving the rear iso forward i can probably get to under 40inch span between the front and rear iso’s.

There is so much i want to test now, my head is spinning, but ATM i am out of materials, LOL, and i have a full work week, so i am not sure how much i can get done, but no worries, it is already totally nuts, so i am a very happy camper

Oh, and i love your drawings, they are awsome.
DesertDog, SBuger and trhought like this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-20-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #725 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
For the bold above, on paper it would take about 3 JBL's to equal 1 MK1.....so I could see an array of 3 JBL's stacked on top of one another kinda like pancakes serving the BOSS duty....that stack of 3 JBL's would be about 20 inches tall and allow the MK1 to serve VNF duting on top of the JBL pancake....just an idea.
Yeah, completely doable, but that would make the NF a minimum of 12" from your seat back. I would rather have the JBL cantilever BOSS flat on the plattform, and the NF on top close to the seat back. Imagine the front MDF plate of my JBL boxes with 4 JBL tight together, now take that mdf plate and put it where the 18" is on the plattform instead. This would make it 6-7 inch high, and much better to place a NF on top. Since the 12" are much shallower than the 18", i can move them further forward too. Win-win.

But without NF’s: great idea
trhought likes this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-20-2019 at 04:23 PM.
post #726 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Or, do 8 more JBL's on top of each other in pancake fashion. 4 cantilevered 12" BOSS drivers on the extended shelf, then another 4 stacked on top of those all behind your BOSS-sac. That would provide a 13" high shelf for the VNF's and would give you the same BOSS shaker potential as 2.7 18's for your cantilevered BOSS.
If you mount them on top of each other, you could countersinc them into each other, saving height, magnet to cone. As long as you account for max driver movement, you could save a couple of inches total height.
trhought likes this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #727 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
If you mount them on top of each other, you could countersinc them into each other, saving height, magnet to cone. As long as you account for max driver movement, you could save a couple of inches total height.
If you do this is there any danger of the magnet from the bottom one affecting the top one's movement? It's a slow day at work and I've been sitting here thinking through design option if I when with multiple 12s over a larger driver. That was one concern I had when that idea crossed my mind. I've been thinking through that and the best way to make an extension to my existing riser. Still working on the latter.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #728 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you do this is there any danger of the magnet from the bottom one affecting the top one's movement? It's a slow day at work and I've been sitting here thinking through design option if I when with multiple 12s over a larger driver. That was one concern I had when that idea crossed my mind. I've been thinking through that and the best way to make an extension to my existing riser. Still working on the latter.
Not at all. Haven’t you seen how tight they pack sub drivers in car stereo setup? You can pretty much do what ever you want
DesertDog likes this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #729 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some more pics.

Here is how it looks under the seat, with the BK’s in front and if you zoom in a bit, you can see the Crowsons in the back. Actually very roomy with this patent. I plan to test a "hush box" for the BK’s to silence them a bit

And here can the lower and upper iso’s be seen. Also note the metal "guides" to keep the seat on the boss plattform(same i used on the MA spacer board).

And a bit of testing with the NF box on top of the 18" driver. You can see the top of the center NF box behind it, and see the difference in height, LOL.
Reclined.

Upright.

From the front, reclined.

Upright. Almost hidden

And here is from the side. And there is plenty of room for a downfiring SLAPS in the bottom of the box

But with the JBL’s instead it would be half this height.

Oh, and @SBuger , i tested the Venom street chase scene of yours: Yikes that scene is awsome!! It is like a roller coaster, LOL, totally bananas, man. This is a demo scene if there ever was one
SBuger and bubbrik like this.

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-20-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #730 of 829 Old 05-20-2019, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ Very nice Nalleh! Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Now I see what you're saying about the height of your VNF's relative to your reclined position. I'd say the angle is going to be a challenge also. Have you considered what @LastButNotLeast did with his JBL driver mounted directly to his chair back (his BOSS Back). If you have room in your chair backs, that may be an elegant solution to make your VNF's even closer to your chest. Additionally, the BOSS Back will always be in the correct position because it will move with your chair back regardless of the reclined position.

With the addition of the BOSS back, then the VNF box could be made a smaller (less tall) NF box while still providing passive power for the SLAPS in the bottom of the box for additional BOSS shaker potential. Pretty crazy all the options you have now.

One other idea, if you don't have enough already , regarding your BK's and their noises. By chance, does that noise go down with less power. If so, maybe moving them towards your back legs will allow the power to be reduced and help with the noise while still maintaining the same TR....not sure

Also, I was thinking a bit more about your MA experiment and muting them. With the internal springs of the MA's I wonder if that will absorb some of the TR and also cause the platform to not feel natural with the internal springs....especially with the double stack which means a double layer of springs free to move when muted. Not sure but you've probably already considered that......curious if that turns out to be the case.

Looks awesome man....can't wait to see what other experiments and discoveries are on the horizon!
post #731 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 3563
Quote:
@SBuger : yeah, i am pretty sure it is all connected correct, so it is strange indeed, but i don’t care: that is why we test and tune. It is not always theory and practice is the same. I think it can be because of the MA is kind of in the middle of the BK and BOSS.

Hey don’t you have like 5x 18" in nearfield now?? You could use 2 of those for cantilever BOSS and use the remaining 3 between those for VNF.

And if you use your MBM and need to elevate them, and don’t have a angled box, why not kill two birds with one stone and build a plattform that is angled so that the MBM sit on the plattform at an angle upwards?

So far i am using one channel of NU6K (non-DSP)on it. It has bottomed out, but not now, took a while to find the levels. I do have the compressor activated on the 10x10 and am still tuning it a bit, but think i am close now.
Yeah, if it all tests out good, that's what counts, no matter the reason!

Yep, I've got 5 18's surrounding me in the back of the room and side walls (so yes NF), BUT the one directly behind the seat super close (whichever seat is being set in) is the ONLY one I consider VNF that can actually really be felt (TR and SLAM). The others somewhat help too (with some shake I guess, the ones directly behind the other two outer seats), but they don't give that slam in the chest and gut with the drivers not being super close directly behind (although they do make the sound fuller and bring more pressure like FF subs). So in other words, the other NFs help some I guess with the TR and SLAM (that can be felt internally), but nothing like the true VNF directly behind with driver super close with the PV and force it that it creates.

AND I need those two that are on the side walls left there to help with my FR in this very tough room. IF I use all 3 of the 18's (that are now currently in VNF form behind each seat) connected in one BOSS platform cantilevered (which I kind of want to do as I think 3 of them at 561g of mass a piece with 27mm Xmax (Xmech: 50mm) and Fs: 18.7 hz on the DS4-18's , I think it could bring on a serious amount of TR craziness, at least down to 10hz and maybe even into the singles. Hell, might not even need the BKs a tall with this, IDK.

So that's what I meant by that leaves me with no 18's for VNF duty above the 18's in the BOSS if I use 3 out of the 5 NFs (with one True VNF for each seat out of those 5). I could keep the VNF 18's by using the 12's behind in the BOSS cantilever like you were waying, but damn, I REALLY want to use those 18's hahahahaha I just don't see how even 6 of the JBLs (if I used all of them behind in the BOSS) could begin to compete with 3 18" monsters in all ways, plus what you mentioned about what you really liked abut the 18's (ie can run them full range, feel fuller, weightier, more powerful etc). But this leaves me with no VNF 18' directly behind the seats. It could be so badass though that it might not matter at all and the MBMs put in behind me could just kill!! Or yes, I could just use two of the 18's in the BOSS, leaving one 18 for VNF behind just the middle MLP seat (maybe put the 18's in the BOSS on the outsides of the VNF that could be directly behind the MLP). But I think an 18" mounted cantilever in the BOSS directly behind the MLP (not just the two outer seats area) would give the best effect for the middle MLP seat (I want the other two seats great too, but this is the most important one). All that make any sense to you?

IDK, still got some thinking to do I guess. In the meantime while I think about it all, I think I'm gonna move out my monster sized 'sub riser with all the 12's in it, and go back to the way I had it setup before with VNFs, MAs and BKs LFE's and use all the new HIFI isos with it all one more time. Then go from there.

But, the 3 18's in the cantilevered BOSS plus the MBM as VNF on top of the 18's has been ruling my thoughts lately. I think if nothing else, I will HAVE to try it!! And also yep, make a platform to angle the MBMs up just right into my upper back like you said. But I don't know if I'll want them actually mounted to the BOSS platform itself or separate, as I don't know if they'll give me too much TR vibrations in the 45hz and over frequencies where they will be doing their ting with them connected to the actual BOSS platform or not. No way in hell I could run the 12" JBL in the BOSS full range, as its just WAY too distracting. Maybe in MBM format in a cab wont be so overbearing though, IDK. As usual, lots to think about and try.

Quote:
Some more pics

-----

Oh, and @SBuger , i tested the Venom street chase scene of yours: Yikes that scene is awesome!! It is like a roller coaster, LOL, totally bananas, man. This is a demo scene if there ever was one
Anyway, awesome pics of your setup, thanks for showing those!!! Also very cool about being able to mount your VNFs cabs above your 18's for final result (and maybe even with the SLAPs in there). GAWD dude, that and all combined ought to just flat out give you enough TR power to almost do yourself in completely if unleashed in full power!!! Yes you will truly be LORD OF TR then and none of us will be worthy hahahahahahahaha

Cool man on the Venom street chase scene!!! Yeah I LOVE it and cant seem to get enough of it!! LOL It can feel pretty damn hardcore and just loads of fun!!! When I've got my stuff tuned just right, this one can feel pretty scary with the amount of intensity it brings. Is my current favorite I think for a lot of reasons and is one hell of a great domo piece IMO.

Oh yeah almost forgot to mention. I think you'll love a hush box for the BKs and should work wonders, as I currently have mine mounted underneath, inside the 'sub riser' and they are totally silenced this way. So your solution to silence them should work great too!!
Nalleh likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #732 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

One thing that just occurred to me that I could do with my empty cabs if I pull the 18's from them for BOSS duty, is I could put PA460's in them that are supposed to be amazing for midbass. That is what that one Bear dude on AVS forums did with his in one of his cabinets at one point and couldn't say enough good about what it did for the feel of midbass and sound quality too, as its a pro driver low excursion made for this. Might need another amp to drive them all but just another idea so those 3 cabs don't go to waste. I've always wanted to try the PA460 with all the talk about it a while back when Dom's MBM thread was running wild, so could be my opportunity I guess.

I think my 1200d will just kill for chest slam though positioned in the right way behind my seats, just like it did in the MLP in my previous setup that didn't recline. That damn thing was so violent feeling that it would make my chest ache for several hours sometimes after demo sessions (I've talked about this before on other threads, you might have seen it at one point). I know that sounds absurd, but it could do it and was the most potent mid bass slam and chest cavity pressure I've ever experienced. Not even loud concerts have been able to do this to me, although concert midbass punch can be heavenly and really pound the chest.
DesertDog likes this.

1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #733 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^^ Very nice Nalleh! Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Now I see what you're saying about the height of your VNF's relative to your reclined position. I'd say the angle is going to be a challenge also. Have you considered what @LastButNotLeast did with his JBL driver mounted directly to his chair back (his BOSS Back). If you have room in your chair backs, that may be an elegant solution to make your VNF's even closer to your chest. Additionally, the BOSS Back will always be in the correct position because it will move with your chair back regardless of the reclined position.

With the addition of the BOSS back, then the VNF box could be made a smaller (less tall) NF box while still providing passive power for the SLAPS in the bottom of the box for additional BOSS shaker potential. Pretty crazy all the options you have now.

One other idea, if you don't have enough already , regarding your BK's and their noises. By chance, does that noise go down with less power. If so, maybe moving them towards your back legs will allow the power to be reduced and help with the noise while still maintaining the same TR....not sure

Also, I was thinking a bit more about your MA experiment and muting them. With the internal springs of the MA's I wonder if that will absorb some of the TR and also cause the platform to not feel natural with the internal springs....especially with the double stack which means a double layer of springs free to move when muted. Not sure but you've probably already considered that......curious if that turns out to be the case.

Looks awesome man....can't wait to see what other experiments and discoveries are on the horizon!
The recliner seat back is a "click-on" patent with just two locks, one on each side, and they have a wood backplate, so it wouldn’t work to well with all that weight onto them.

Turn down the BK’s ? What blasphemy is this? Just kidding, like i said i will do a lot of testing going forward, so no worries. It wasn’t as bad as i remember it either, so it’s all good

IF i need to block out the MA’s completely, i can just put wood blocks between the 2x4’s and MDF the couch is on, easy peasy
DesertDog and trhought like this.

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-21-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #734 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@SBuger :

Hey, i understand your concerns, and they are all legit, but there is two points here:
1. You need to look at the result of the total package and maybe not so concerned about each component.
2. You got A LOT of tools in you toolbag:
JBL. Can be used for BOSS, normal or cantilever, OR as NF’s! I think these 6 across the width of the couch on a shelf above the 18" BOSS would be much better than the MBM’s for NF duty.
DS-4. Could be used for cantilever BOSS or NF’s. Let’s face it, they would kill it, either way
UM-18. Same as DS-4’s, and would probably be near as good.

And then there is MA’s and BK’s. You see where i am going with this? You just need to find the right combo with what you already have.

See drawing for what i was thinking about for the cantilever BOSS and 18" NF.
I see in your pics that the 3 x NF’s are side by side and maybe not much room between them, but it might be doable if you could do some measuring to find out. If you build one " sled" plattform for all three seats, i think two cantilever 18" would suffice

Forget about the PA460’s: you already have(free) 6x JBL’s. They would kill it as VNF’s and they go way deeper than both the PA460 and the mbm, and they have punch and slam up the wasoo
Just build some 1cf pr driver boxes, like i did, make a shelf above the 18" cantilever BOSS, and NF problem is solved.

So for max TR: 3x 18" cantilever BOSS and 6xJBL VNF, keep the UM18’s as is.
Max PR/slam: 6x JBL cantilever BOSS, keep the 18" VNF’s and UM18’s

Or you could use the JBL’s instead of the UM18’s as "somewhat" NF’s, leaving the UM18 available for cantilever BOSS duty.

What i tell you: right combo with what you already have

Oh, and thanks about the hushbox, nice

Suggesstion:

EDIT: holy cow, both the DS-4 and the UM18 are monster for BOSS duty!! Go for it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E1AC8E89-F272-4A33-AE90-D412AEF90756.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	2569870  
DesertDog and SBuger like this.

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-21-2019 at 06:26 PM.
post #735 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
One thing that just occurred to me that I could do with my empty cabs if I pull the 18's from them for BOSS duty, is I could put PA460's in them that are supposed to be amazing for midbass. That is what that one Bear dude on AVS forums did with his in one of his cabinets at one point and couldn't say enough good about what it did for the feel of midbass and sound quality too, as its a pro driver low excursion made for this. Might need another amp to drive them all but just another idea so those 3 cabs don't go to waste. I've always wanted to try the PA460 with all the talk about it a while back when Dom's MBM thread was running wild, so could be my opportunity I guess.
Going with a PA460 is an interesting idea. If (lets be realistic, when) I build the expansion for my BOSS with a VNF row It might an idea for it. I'm not sure if I'd have enough room though, especially if I pancake 2 rows of 12 for the BOSS. How do you think think they'd compare to the JBLs for chest slam? Probably 2 (maybe 3) of them vs 6 (8) JBLs. Would the 15" PA380 be worth considering too for it? I could probably squeeze 4 in. I need to start mocking it up in SketchUp to figure out exactly how many I could fit.

Quote:
The recliner seak back is a "click-on" patent with just two locks, one on each side, and they have a wood backplate, so it wouldn’t work to well with all that weight onto them.

Turn down the BK’s ? What blasphemy is this? Just kidding, like i said i will do a lot of testing going forward, so no worries. It wasn’t as bad as i remember it either, so it’s all good

IF i need to block out the MA’s completely, i can just put wood blocks between the 2x4’s and MDF the couch is on, easy peasy
Do you think BKs are worth the investment with this setup if you didn't already have them? I've been trying to decide if they're worth the cost at some point. I have plenty of room to add them onto my riser but I'm not sure if the price/performance ratio is worth it.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #736 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Going with a PA460 is an interesting idea. If (lets be realistic, when) I build the expansion for my BOSS with a VNF row It might an idea for it. I'm not sure if I'd have enough room though, especially if I pancake 2 rows of 12 for the BOSS. How do you think think they'd compare to the JBLs for chest slam? Probably 2 (maybe 3) of them vs 6 (8) JBLs. Would the 15" PA380 be worth considering too for it? I could probably squeeze 4 in. I need to start mocking it up in SketchUp to figure out exactly how many I could fit.

Do you think BKs are worth the investment with this setup if you didn't already have them? I've been trying to decide if they're worth the cost at some point. I have plenty of room to add them onto my riser but I'm not sure if the price/performance ratio is worth it.

1xUM18 = 2.7x PA460= 4x JBL. So as i just said to Sbuger, just go with the JBL’s, as they er much cheaper(at the $29 price anyway)
+ the 12" JBL’s are much easier to place than the bigger 15" and 18" options.

Well, the BK’s are monsters and i love them. But as you say they are somewhat expensive.
But in my setup, the BK’s perform much better than the 2x JBL’s in BOSS config.

But later on i will be able to compare 2x BK’s in cantilever vs 2/4x JBL, so that will be interesting. The more i think about it, now with my "TR sled" with the awsome iso’s, the BK’s in cantilever may be incredible

MMS much?? What about 6lb !! EDIT: it is actually 7.5lb for 2xBK’s
DesertDog and SBuger like this.

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-21-2019 at 04:40 PM.
post #737 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@SBuger :

Hey, i understand your concerns, and they are all legit, but there is two points here:
1. You need to look at the result of the total package and maybe not so concerned about each component.
2. You got A LOT of tools in you toolbag:
JBL. Can be used for BOSS, normal or cantilever, OR as NF’s! I think these 6 across the width of the couch on a shelf above the 18" BOSS would be much better than the MBM’s for NF duty.
DS-4. Could be used for cantilever BOSS or NF’s. Let’s face it, they would kill it, either way
UM-18. Same as DS-4’s, and would probably be near as good.

And then there is MA’s and BK’s. You see where i am going with this? You just need to fins the right combo with what you already have.

See drawing for what i was thinking about for the cantilever BOSS and 18" NF.
I see in your pics that the 3 x NF’s are side by side and maybe not much room between them, but it might be doable if you could do some measuring to find out. If you build one " sled" plattform for all three seats, i think two cantilever 18" would suffice

Forget about the PA460’s: you already have(free) 6x JBL’s. They would kill it as VNF’s and they go way deeper than both the PA460 and the mbm, and they have punch and slam up the wasoo
Just build some 1cf pr driver boxes, like i did, make a shelf above the 18" cantilever BOSS, and NF problem is solved.

So for max TR: 3x 18" cantilever BOSS and 6xJBL VNF, keep the UM18’s as is.
Max PR/slam: 6x JBL cantilever BOSS, keep the 18" VNF’s and UM18’s

Or you could use the JBL’s instead of the UM18’s as "somewhat" NF’s, leaving the UM18 available for cantilever BOSS duty.

What i tell you: right combo with what you already have

Oh, and thanks about the hushbox, nice

Suggesstion:

See, just another reason to come in this awesome thread of yours to get some great advice!! Lots of options with what I already have!!

Yeah, I don't have much room between my 18's VNF for each seat, and making room for the VNFs behind the outer seats with 2 BOSS 18's in there would make them stick out too far in this small room (hard to get past anyway with a little goat trail to the back of the room as is. So I think I'll go with the 3 DS4-18s in the BOSS and then do what you said with the JBL 12's in VNF boxes (angled boxes) that will go on a shelf above the 18" cantilevered BOSS. I'll use the one 1200d behind MLP until I can get that done. I suck at building though and will need some dimensions and angles for the cabs (probably 2 JBL's per cab x 3 ...like yours but only two per cab). Can you help me model them or whatever when the time comes so I have a plan of attack and/or cut plan if I give you my seat dimensions and height I have to work with etc?. haha I told you I suck at this part and the main reason I've just gone with flatpacks up to this point LOL

Quote:
EDIT: holy cow, both the DS-4 and the UM18 are monster for BOSS duty!! Go for it
Yeah dude, as far as going for it with the DS4's in the BOSS, it's gonna happen for sure. Yep, I think they should be monsters too (either the UM18 or DS4 ..they are pretty similar) like you say after looking at the specs and what Tim just model'd in his thread for me. Similar to your 18" so should bring it pretty hard I would think, hopefully down low too!

I tried my previous setup today after living with the BOSS and/or BOSS as a 'sub riser' for a while now, and I missed the BOSS feel dearly. So this is just what I needed to give me a little more push to get it done. As if what you just built here with yours wasn't enough already!!! LOL
DesertDog and Nalleh like this.

post #738 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
1xUM18 = 2.7x PA460= 4x JBL. So as i just said to Sbuger, just go woth the JBL’s, as they er much cheaper
+ the 12" JBL’s are much easier to place than the bigger 15" and 18" options.
Thanks, I saw your post to Sbuger after posting. Makes sense. The JBLs are much easier to work with and will be a lot easier to design the expansion for too. Playing with the numbers I think I might be able to put 8 JBLs across the top for NF duty. The cantilever part of the BOSS could then have 4-9 more if stacked. Is 17 JBLs in a boss plus another 8 NF overkill???

Quote:
Well, the BK’s are monsters and i love them. But as you say they are somewhat expensive.
But in my setup, the BK’s perform much better the 2x JBL’s in BOSS config.

But later on i will be able to compare 2x BK’s in cantilever vs 2/4x JBL, so that will be interesting. The more i think about it, now with my "TR sled" with the awsome iso’s, the BK’s in cantilever may be incredible

MMS much?? What about 6lb !!
So wait to see how your tests turn out while I'm saving up for them. Got it!

BEQ Slack group
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #739 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure on the PA460's. I've only heard nothing but great things about the mid bass abilities over around here. How they would compare to the JBLs or PA380, I don't know. I think the PA460 is only about a 100 a driver, so more than the JBLs but probably pretty bad ass. Nalleh makes a great point though, the JBLs wold be easier to place, and would bring it down low too! I think that's the route I'm gonna go after he schooled me hahahaha
DesertDog and Nalleh like this.

post #740 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Not sure on the PA460's. I've only heard nothing but great things about the mid bass abilities over around here. How they would compare to the JBLs or PA380, I don't know. I think the PA460 is only about a 100 a driver, so more than the JBLs but probably pretty bad ass. Nalleh makes a great point though, the JBLs wold be easier to place, and would bring it down low too! I think that's the route I'm gonna go after he schooled me hahahaha
Yup, that's why he sits on the throne. I'm going to go that route too when I do it.

I wish Nick still made his lower end subs. It would love to be able to have a few of them. Maybe I should just go nuts and use 8 of his HST-11 MKIIs instead of the JBLs for the VNF. that's only like 20x the price.

BEQ Slack group
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
post #741 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@DesertDog : nothing like overkill in this forum! I thought you had learnt that by now If you could get the JBL’s for the cheap price, i say go for it

@SBuger : Understood. I believe you have the 3x18" VNF laying down(wider) behind you, right? If you raise them up(taller) that would gain a couple inches between them, and you could build your plattform for the 18" VNF’s to go between the magnets of the 18" BOSS drivers, like the drawing below. My magnets are 7 inch diameter, so that would be the distance between the VNF’s. That way you wouldn’t need the VNF’s plattform so tall. Just a suggestion

Anyway, i think you should be able to get a killer kombo together mith the right mix of gear you already have, and if i am not counting wrong, you wouldn’t need more amps either

Sure, i’ll help with what i can with the boxes, but i am not a pro in that regard either, LOL.

And about the LORD OF TR: yeah, i think you got that title covered yourself, as with 3x18" BOSS you would be leading the race

Since when did this get a competition?? LOL.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	34D123BD-CA3A-4D77-A4D2-E8E87E90305D.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	2569914  
SBuger likes this.

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-21-2019 at 05:24 PM.
post #742 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, and @SBuger , after reading back your glowing review of the mbm, it might work out fine, for midbass and punch anyway. When i used mine, i had to turn it down because it was easily localizable, but that was before i discovered the extra LPF on NF’s.

What i DO know is it was COMPLETELY DEAD below 30hz, ported PA sub as it was, while the JBL’s just keep’on trucking all the way down, and like i have said before, i have probably EQ’ed them down 30dB above 50hz, so they have stupid capacity(with multiples) for midbass.

I forget, did you have just the one mbm?

Oh, and if you really don’t want to build boxes, there are surprisingly cheap boxes on ebay Cheaper than buying more mbm’s or Pa460’s anyway.
SBuger likes this.

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-21-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #743 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 3357
My 11.4.12 "Franken-Atmos" living room.

Thanks for the ideas @Nalleh , the little shelf over the BOSS to move the VNF subs up is brilliant, and just what I needed for my setup. I’m moving my seating forward another 4” on the BOSS 2.0 riser and also made the platform 4” deeper than the last one at 40”x86”, and I was wondering the best way to get the VNF subs up closer with the rear 3 JBLs now right below them. This will also move them up more to chest level, because they’re too low now with the added 4-5” of the stacked risers.

I have scrap wood to throw together a long ~90” long shelf that will work perfectly for both sub boxes to hover above the BOSS, and luckily the VNF boxes are only 14” deep. Great idea to work around all these things! I’ll need to add some stopper brackets too, because the boxes do walk around a little after spirited sessions on my hard floors with no feet on the subs.

Also, the idea of stacked or pancake driver builds on a cantilever seems easier than full sheet builds due to working with smaller/lighter pieces and will work with most people’s seating, but that would make VNF sub placement almost impossible...and I likes me some nearfield slam! Finishing up BOSS 2.0 hopefully tomorrow.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #744 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Sekosche : you’re welcome
Yes, moving the NF’s a bit up can benefit in several area, more chest punch being one of them, however in my case it might give more head punch, LOL. We’ll see

Awsome if you already made the new plattform big enough, you are half way there

And hey, if your NF’s move around a bit, maybe including them ON the plattform will give some added TR. In other words bolt/screw the shelf to the plattform. Kind of like i discovered when i tested the SLAPS box: it had WAY more movement of the box than the other sealed ones, so that was when i thought of mounting the SLAPS downfiring in the box and mount it on the plattform. If it works, it is FREE TR

Yeah, i agree this sled of mine was a breeze to build and much easier than my previous plattforms, and so easy to place the components on it, so just some 2x4 lengths of lumbar, and you’re up and running .
And also much easier to combine with MA’s, BK’s and what not, i haven’t used a drop of glue either, only screws, and it turned out incredible sturdy with this ladder design, arguably stiffer than a plywood sheet.
It adds a smidge more height to the BOSS, but then again it is very easy to add a step onto it by lengthening the 2x4 a ft or so in front of the couch Endless options....
SBuger and Sekosche like this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #745 of 829 Old 05-21-2019, 11:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

@SBuger : Understood. I believe you have the 3x18" VNF laying down(wider) behind you, right? If you raise them up(taller) that would gain a couple inches between them, and you could build your plattform for the 18" VNF’s to go between the magnets of the 18" BOSS drivers, like the drawing below. My magnets are 7 inch diameter, so that would be the distance between the VNF’s. That way you wouldn’t need the VNF’s plattform so tall. Just a suggestion

Anyway, i think you should be able to get a killer kombo together mith the right mix of gear you already have, and if i am not counting wrong, you wouldn’t need more amps either

Sure, i’ll help with what i can with the boxes, but i am not a pro in that regard either, LOL.

And about the LORD OF TR: yeah, i think you got that title covered yourself, as with 3x18" BOSS you would be leading the race

Since when did this get a competition?? LOL.
Awesome stuff man on the suggestions and I really appreciate it!! You are really good at coming up with ways to do things and shows on everything you put together with your setup. A fantastic skill to have for sure, especially in this hobby!! So yep, that may just work pretty darn good by standing the VNF cabs taller and making more room for the 18's in the BOSS and to go between the magnets with the VNF cabs. Only problem is, I'll need more 18's to do this with if I use 2-3 of them in the BOSS (which I can buy more I guess, eventually at least). But also, without the cabs being angled (I could build those too I guess) that would put the cabs up close to the top of my seat backs, making the cabs be pushed back farther to keep from hitting the seats, and therefor making the back of the cabs pretty close to my back wall as they are pretty deep. I don't have a ton of space to work with and will make it real tough to get in and out in the back. Could do it but would be super tight. Also this makes the driver farther away from my mid back. BUT, could work or possibly be tweaked to worked with I'm sure. Where there is a will there is usually a way. I just have to figure out what I want.

LORD OF TR ....LOL, yeah we both probably have (me soon to have) more damn TR than necessary, but we do seem to LOVE it !! ) What I do think one can probably never have too much of is ULF TR though. If we ever get to that point though, we can always turn it down easy enough though right?! Now over 20hz TR doest seem to be near as much of a problem getting enough of.

Competition/Race ... LMAO like a sport or something huh by seeing just how far we can push all this stuff etc. Then the other is like, yeah ok well check this out hahahahaha. It's all good, keeps us up on our game and our systems in tip top TR shape So much great stuff and learning has came of it already, which is just so cool, and fun too! The wife thinks I've lost my mind though with it all, and I probably have LOL

Quote:
Oh, and @SBuger , after reading back your glowing review of the mbm, it might work out fine, for midbass and punch anyway. When i used mine, i had to turn it down because it was easily localizable, but that was before i discovered the extra LPF on NF’s.

What i DO know is it was COMPLETELY DEAD below 30hz, ported PA sub as it was, while the JBL’s just keep’on trucking all the way down, and like i have said before, i have probably EQ’ed them down 30dB above 50hz, so they have stupid capacity(with multiples) for midbass.

I forget, did you have just the one mbm?

Oh, and if you really don’t want to build boxes, there are surprisingly cheap boxes on ebay Cheaper than buying more mbm’s or Pa460’s anyway.
Yeah I just have the one MBM 1200d, so if I wanted to use those for all seats, I'd have to buy two more which I don't want to do, but would if I just thought I had to have them. If can be integrated right and able to find that perfect placement and tuned just right (maybe some luck is required here somewhat too, to feel right and to actually deliver that violent chest slam feel I was talking about ..I haven't been able to get it to do that in this new room yet with these seats like I was able to in my downstairs setup in that middle seat on the couch). It's just too high now in these seats setting on top of the 18's and not close enough to my upper back I think mainly.

But yeah, it doesn't do much at all below about 45hz though. It really is a true MBM for sure. But I think that is partially what made it so damn potent, is having that port tune in that prime midbass chest slam frequency area.

Yeah I remember you saying on the JBLs behind you, that you had to EQ them down a ton in the MB area, so they def have more than enough power there. Cool if you can get TR and feel from them all the way into the ULF region too!! I probably need to go that route like you did with the JBLs VNF. But maybe I wouldn't miss the extra that the VNF give under about 45hz or so and mainly need it for the midbass chest punch, IDK.

Also cool, thanks for the heads up about maybe buying some cheap boxes on ebay for the JBLs. Maybe I'll look into that, but may have to take you up on some help with the boxes when I get ready if I want to do it right, thanks for that!! Well, you seem to know enough on the modeling and box building, pro or not. Way more than me!!
Nalleh likes this.

post #746 of 829 Old 05-22-2019, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@SBuger : sure, it may nok work, but just wanted to put some ideas out there I am positive that you now can get a incredible combo put together, and i can’t wait to hear how this turns out, man Really excited to hear how your DS-4 will perform in a cantilever BOSS, espesially if you go for 3 of them, LOL. That would be more than triple my MMS, LOL, so that should be off the hook ! And also how it will compare to the regular BOSS you have now.

IDK, but i have now tried the normal BOSS with 2x JBL pr seat, a 18" normal BOSS and now the 18" cantilever BOSS, and the two 18" versions was directly comparable with the same building blocks, pretty much the only real difference was the driver placement, from a performance point of view, and my clear opinion is that the cantilever is not a compromise at all, it is better than normal BOSS! By a mile! So your experiment will show if this is just a "one off" or if it holds true

And also just to reiterate regarding using a shelf for NF’s to clear the cantilever BOSS: mounting the shelf(and thereby the NF’s) ON the plattform COULD add some free TR. It may be on a different axis with NF driver pointing forward, not downwards, but Y axis TR can add to the experience, for sure
And if shelf, instead of using angled NF boxes, the shelf itself can be angled, and you can use normal square boxes and still get placement optimized close to seatback

I am not sure i will get to it until next week, but i hope to compare the following on the rear of my TR SLED starting with the current 18":

2 and 4xJBL (4 would be 716 grams of mms)
2x BK(7.5lb of mms)
1x18" VNF box on the plattform, forward and downward facing driver.
1x 2xJBL VNF box with SLAPS facing forward(current box i made earlier) on the plattform(400grams of MMS and could add more than 1000grams to test)
Same as above with SLAPS facing down.

With the results of these tests i can move forward on a final ultimate config

Oh, and one last point: IF you go for the 2x18" cantilever BOSS with 3x18" VNF’s as my earlier suggestion, your MLP would benefit from BOTH cantilever 18"s(one to your left and one to your right) AND 1x18" VNF box. And you could use the remaining 6x JBL’s where your UM18 are today. No need for more drivers

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-22-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #747 of 829 Old 05-22-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^
Thanks man, yea I'm really excited to see what I think of the DS4-18's in the BOSS cantilevered will do too. I think they have some SERIOUS potential mounted the way you did yours with multiples. Especially since you say you like them so much better mounted behind you than right underneath you. Crazy that it could make that much of a difference in feel! That is just awesome though because then we don't have to be sitting up on a thrown way up in the air to use the 18's. If it weren't for you mounting the 18" that way, I don't know that I would have ever thought to try it like that with mine, and just couldn't quite make myself put it under my seat and deal with that much height. So mounted this way, it's win win like you said earlier ...not too much height to deal with, plus get to actually use the 18's in the BOSS. I'm VERY thankful for you trying this out and letting us in on it, otherwise I may have never thought to try my 18's like this. So thanks a million to you AND Tim for the BOSS and different ways to mount!! I do seem to just love the BOSS feel, if I could just get more in the 10-15hz area (maybe below 10hz too) out of it I think I'd just be as happy as could be with it and would make it that much better. I'm hoping the 3 18's can and will do this for me

As far as the diff you feel with the 18" from mounted under the seat vs behind farther, kinda doesn't surprise me I guess when I really think about it. I actually preferred the feel of my rear 12" JBLs in my platform compared to the front JBLs, and even combined (rear and front). Yes there was more TR headroom, and the same intensity could be achieved with the levels turned up more on the front or rear set of 3's only, but the rears just felt better by themselves, probably for at least one of the same reasons you like the 18" behind your seat better vs under. It seems to be felt more in the body.

So anyway, thanks so much for the config ideas, I appreciate them all!! When you really start thinking about it, there are actually quite a few ways it could all be configured that could be fantastic. For instance, by using the 12" JBLs for the side walls to help with my FR, weight and fullness, in place of where the UM18's are placed now like you say, I could actually use the 2 UM18's in the BOSS cantilevered like you illustrated up above with the magnets in-between the VNFs (so they could all be closer). I could probably even leave them laying on their side rather than tall (either would work) and even on the ground (or on the platform) to have the drivers hit me closer in the mid back area. But then with the VNFs lower like this, put the 18's in the BOSS up above the VNF's (20" tall I think on their side) with driver cones for the cantilevered BOSS facing UP with the magnets going down in-between the VNFs. Not sure if the drivers would work as good by not being closer to the base, but may work great too with the drivers up higher. Just another idea.

When you start thinking about it, at lot of configs can probably be made to work great if one is willing to try it and put the effort and time in to get it built and setup. So I think your absolutely right, and incredible combo can be put together with what I currently have to work with. Then just the time is needed to mess around with it all to find what works best, or at least give the results that satisfies in whatever config. They may all feel more similar than not.

One thing that does kind of concern me though is having the VNFs (full range or MBMs) mounted to the BOSS platform, is giving too much feel over about 25-30hz and above. This may or may not be the case though, and only trying it out will tell. And good points on it maybe bringing more Y axis into the mix with drivers facing forward on the platform in their cabs.

I think what I'm actually kind of hoping for here though, and what I may try first, is that with 3 DS4-18s mounted cantilevered behind the seats, it will give me ALL the TR I want and need, at least in the 10hz and above area, and heck, maybe even the singles. That might be wishful thinking in the singles, but ya never know, could be enough and feel fantastic in the super low digits. But if not, that's why we have the MAs to add to it!! Then either the 1200d MBMs or JBL's (full range with 2 per cab) mounted behind the seats up above the 18's in the BOSS to bring the mid bass chest punch. Either connected to the BOSS platform or no connected and angled or whatever is needed. This would be pretty easy I think and may just give me everything I desire and would need to go no further We'll see how it all goes in the upcoming future! EDIT: Also when looking everything over again for the plan of attack, if I want my BKs in the mix, I'd probably just be better off mounting them on the back with the BOSS 18's like your going to test, with the BKs right behind each arm rest on the platform (kind of like I did right before the BOSS entered the picture). That way I could use all 4 or them. I'm just so space limited under the front of my seats where you mounted yours, even though they may feel great there with the 18's being in the back. I could do it, but could only use 3 (1 per seat, which is probably good enough). I think in the rear with the 18's may be better though.

I'm really looking forward to hearing about your results with your list of things you want to test out!! Nice list too BTW!! I'm sure what you come up with will be even more incredible than the way you have it now

As far as me getting all mine going and tested too, I hear ya. I've got a couple of days here with small windows of opportunity to start on it all, but then have some big family plans (with some travel too) over the holiday this weekend, plus it's my 8 year old daughters last day of school today. So, that will really cut down on my time to spend on it all for a while, but will try to do what I can when I can, cause I'm super anxious to get it all going! I think I'm at least going to go pick up my lumber today

Thanks for all the inspiration my great friend Nalleh!!!!
Nalleh likes this.

Last edited by SBuger; 05-22-2019 at 11:29 AM.
post #748 of 829 Old 05-22-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 3357
Quote:

And if shelf, instead of using angled NF boxes, the shelf itself can be angled, and you can use normal square boxes and still get placement optimized close to seatback

Oh great idea! And easier than building an angled box which I didn’t do from the start. I’ll have to see what clearances I have over the rear BOSS JBL’s and what height I have to work with for building a shelf for the VNF. I’d like to keep them as low and hidden behind the seating as possible too. Will have to see which type of shelf will work best when I’m all done.

Think both my VNF cabs weigh around 90-100lbs each so a couple 2”x4” spanning 90” or so with plywood on top should hold them just fine.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #749 of 829 Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@SBuger : no worries mate, just glad to help, often when you stand in by yourself you get tunnelvision and don’t see all the options, and a fresh point of view can help see the light I often use 90% of the time in a project envisioning things and mulling over the alternatives available, and then often just need 10% of the time to execute the idea.
I just thought you were quick to dismiss what gear you already have and went straight for the "need to buy more stuff" option, LOL.

It’s all good, and you’ll get there, my friend

Since the cantilever was already mentioned in the BOSS thread i had that in the back of my mind, but i figured it would be a compromized setup being all the way behind the couch, but as luck would have it, it was quite the contrary. Luckily, as it was my last effort in the BOSS game before giving it up, and going back to my old setup

And yes, i think it has to do with the center of force gets more centered around your main body from your waist up, at least in our recliner seats, instead of being more centered on your lower body, exactly as you experienced with you front vs rear JBL experiment. This is also why the MA’s are recommended mounted under your rear couch feets, and not the front ones.

You have noted the same thing about your BK’s and where to mount them(more to the rear), and that is one thing that puzzles me, because in my case i LOVE the BK’s under the front of my couch, even in a front iso setup only they ROCK in that position. But it may be because they augment the MA’s in the rear so good, and while they work well seperate, they add beautifull together for a summed improved result.

So, i may get better result from trying the BK’s in cantilever, but that also might make the front lacking(my lower body). But as you said, trying your BK’s in the rear could be a viable option

HAHA, yes mounting the BOSS driver OVER the VNF’s could be a great spacesaving idea, and that would be a great sight to turn around and see all hose 18" cones right behind you, LOL. Awsome idea , But it may be a bit less optimal as you said it will end up far from the base. It may change both the TR direction/axis and intensity level, but it is hard to tell. Then again with all these ideas it could turn out great. Remember the most important thing here is the summed total response of the system, and if it will make the VNF’s more optimized for example, it may turn out to give a better result

I will just mention this as i did it myself, and it made adjustments/ changes so much easier: if you could, do try to make a " one seat sled" like i did! It was a real hassle earlier to remove the whole couch to tinker with it, while now i can just flick up my one seat and basically do whatever i want, the rest of the couch is left alone and works just fine.
And i just have a 2 seater, you have 3 seats. And espesially since there is some options to try out. Once you find the perfect combo, you can make the final version for all three seats. That is now my plan of attack

My sled couldn’t be easier to make, just a couple of 2x4 lengths, and some MDF/plywood inserts, and your’e up and running.

Yeas, the added TR if you mount the VNF’s on the plattform COULD be a problem in the upper frequencies, and it need to be testd for sure, but somehow i don’t think that will be a problem. If you look at/put your hand on the sub box while playing sine waves, IF you have movement/TR form the box, it is the most at low frequencies, which is what we want to tap into. At higher frequencies (above say 30-40hz) the box is pretty inert.
But if it gets a problem, it could maybe be damped with iso’s under the VNF box. That way the ULF TR may still survive to your seat. Just a thought

Yeah, i managed to get a supply run yesterday too, so i think i have the materials i need now, so that’s nice. But i hear you on the time managment issue, LOL. I am a shift worker, so somethimes i have several days off, other times work evenings and nights, so getting some time to tinker with "my baby" isn’t always as easy.

Patience, i guess

@Sekosche : that sound like it should work great, and getting it all packed up close to your back would improve the experience a good bit, me thinks. Awsome, i am following you thread with great interest
SBuger likes this.

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 05-23-2019 at 03:56 AM.
post #750 of 829 Old 05-23-2019, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A couple of pics of the height of the 18" vs if i use the 12"s.

Downfiring.

Upfiring. Either would basically be half the heigth as the 18", at ~7" vs ~14".

And here is the clearence between the 18" basket and the seat back.

Really hoping that 4xJBL is close to the 1x18" in performance, as that would make placing VNF’s much easier.

Nalleh’s HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page