AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   What's Your System Configuration (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/)
-   -   Cam Man's Media Great Room (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-what-s-your-system-configuration/2344929-cam-mans-media-great-room.html)

Cam Man 02-24-2016 07:04 PM

Cam Man's Media Great Room

9 Attachment(s)
Dreamt of 25 years ago at least. Nearing UPDATE: FOUND my Nirvana. :o I thought I'd post a couple of photos. Direct view by day; projection capable at night. I've left some room lighting up unusually high so that the projected image isn't floating in black in the photos. For non-critical watching via projection (sports events, etc), this is the lighting. For critical viewing of movies, it's goes pretty much bat cave mode. Strong WAF. :)

120" wide Seymour XD 'scope screen with custom faux finished case.
UPDATE: JVC Pro RS-640
Oppo BDP-103 (2K and streaming for TV and Projector) and Samsung 9500 (UHD disc and streaming for projector). Celerity 50' optical cable to projector.
Lumagen 2020 for 2K 3D LUT calibration of both projector and LG display.
Marantz AV7704, Emotiva XPA Gen3 3ch amp, Onkyo PA-MC5500 for surrounds. Audyssey Calibration via MEQ Editor App and Omnimic to emulate the Harman/Synthesis target curve. ADDED image of Left Main HTM-12 spectral response with subs, post-calibration, 1/6th octave resolution.
HTM-12 L/R mains, DIYSG 88 Special Center, four subs (1800 watts total): All concealed.
Volt-10LX surrounds with custom faux finish, six (two for each side wall, two for back wall).
Seating: Primary row is Premiere HTS four-seat sofa, flanking love seat, opposing flanking recliner; all motorized reclining seats. Second row is 24" tall director's chairs added when required.
Pooch optional. :rolleyes: He evacuates at the first explosion. :D
UPDATE: New pooch in the house! Just a pup, but learning the ways of the AV Force. :D

madhuski 02-24-2016 07:13 PM

great room. Looks comfy, excellent WAF. And love the pooch!

Frohlich 02-25-2016 03:34 AM

That is a cool looking room. Love the decor and the equipment. Glad your dream turned out so great :)

Cam Man 02-25-2016 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhuski (Post 41885345)
great room. Looks comfy, excellent WAF. And love the pooch!

Thank you. Yours has a very elegant finish. It looks like a good AV showroom should/used to look; homey yet capable. Now, that's a big pooch! :eek: :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frohlich (Post 41890337)
That is a cool looking room. Love the decor and the equipment. Glad your dream turned out so great :)

Thank you. Love that interwoven area of fun places you have. Games, bar,....and incredible speaker array! B.A.!! If I had the room for them, I'd be with you.

Geoff4RFC 02-29-2016 08:41 PM

The room looks great! I love that style of home, I'm originally from Texas and I miss it!!!

Cool set up from what you can see, can you post the rest?

Cam Man 02-29-2016 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC (Post 42024281)
The room looks great! I love that style of home, I'm originally from Texas and I miss it!!!

Cool set up from what you can see, can you post the rest?

Thank you, kindly. What else would you like to see? I can provide the opposite view, but it's a big open floor plan opening into the kitchen. The projector is about 17' from the screen. The ceiling where it is mounted drops down to 10' (for the kitchen) from 12.5' where you can see a glimpse of the beam and tongue and grove ceiling. Room dimensions are hard to define because of the open character. Roughly 32' long, 26' wide for part of the length, then opening up to maybe 35' wide. Volume is most of the house. :D ...cannot be calculated. The primary row is about 15' from the screen. Throw distances for the surrounds range from 12.5' to 17'. You can see why the four subs are needed, and plenty of speaker sensitivity.

Next time we have a screening night, I'll take a photo looking back at the environment.

Geoff4RFC 03-01-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam Man (Post 42024649)
Thank you, kindly. What else would you like to see?

Next time we have a screening night, I'll take a photo looking back at the environment.

How 'bout a shot of your gear?

Cam Man 03-01-2016 07:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC (Post 42049641)
How 'bout a shot of your gear?

I can't imagine any of the gear other than the speakers and projector would be much to look at. You can see the list of processors and such; it all sits on shelves in a rack. :o I guess I don't have much in the way of photos of the speakers either. The exception would be the Volt surrounds and the projector. Over the weekend, I'll pull the grills that conceal the LCRs and snap a photo.

The Volt in the photos is the right surround. The system is a 7.1 with the four Volts, but I'm planning on adding an additional on each side wall somewhat like in the cinema. I'm not planning on an Atmos configuration at this time because the 7.1 performance is SO good. We'll see if I stick with that. :rolleyes::)

The four subwoofers are not photo-accessible as they are in the large cavity behind the LG display. There are two JBL PS-1400 subs and two Klipsch KW-120-THX subs back there. It would appear logical that two subs could be placed in the lower portion of the left and right main stack. As luck would have it, just that two feet wider location with the subs creates a horrible, big acoustic null at about 48Hz and almost an octave wide! That cannot be corrected with any EQ. Luckily the more central location in the cavity behind the display is very acoustically friendly (to EQ such as MultEQ Pro or others). It is linear down to just about 25Hz, matching the spec for dubbing stages. I'm not a subsonic junky. :D

Cam Man 04-20-2016 04:37 PM

Additional Volt-10LX Surrounds Added

I knew for a long time that this room could benefit from more than one surround speaker on each side wall. I neglected doing this until I found the speaker that would best perform at this...and the Volt-10LX is it. I just got two additional Volt-10LXs up and I gotta tell you, if you have a large room, this addition (just running parallel with the L/R side surrounds) makes an incredibly big improvement in the experience in the room. The illusion of a big cinema space is just amazing! It also makes the front stage of sound much wider, depending on the mix. The L/R mains don't get lost, they just seem bigger and wider. The 88 Special center is still the rock solid anchor.

In early December 2016 I took the two extra Volts out of parallel with the others, and gave them their own amp with gain control. With them just in parallel with the corresponding side surround, they were too loud...which made them compete a bit with the front L/R mains and even the perception of their imaging. I took them down in a rather complicated process whereby each side's summed two speakers were at -75dBc, but with the forward additional surround on each side down to a "proper" level judged solely subjectively. The result is much more appropriately balanced, but still with that big cinema theater sound. I haven't measured, but they are the same at I'm guessing -65dBc or so.

Rockerob 05-04-2016 05:54 AM

Very elegant, i like how it blends into the rest of the building without a worry for hard surface reflection

Cam Man 09-02-2016 12:57 PM

Bad news. Maxwell the pooch bought the farm. Came down suddenly with a bad heart. :(

VideoGrabber 09-22-2016 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam Man (Post 46513121)
Bad news. Maxwell the pooch bought the farm. Came down suddenly with a bad heart. :(

Really sorry to hear that, Cam Man. That's sad news. Our pets become a member of our families, and it hurts when we lose them.

My sincere condolences.

- Tim

Frohlich 09-22-2016 04:54 PM

So sorry to hear that. I cant imagine how much that must hurt your heart. I am sure he is was an important part of your family. My sincere condolences.

madhuski 09-24-2016 03:51 AM

That the tragic part of dogs.....they don't stay with us on our journey the entire way.

It's like losing a family member. My sympathies.

Cam Man 11-15-2016 03:34 PM

Thanks to all for the thoughtful words about the pooch. He was a good boy. We miss him...the wife especially. She's ready for a new one. I'll confess that I don't miss the dog hair mess. :o

R Harkness 11-15-2016 05:45 PM

Looks wonderful Cam Man! To me nice aesthetics and comfort are necessities, and your space looks like it provides both.

Cam Man 11-21-2016 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R Harkness (Post 48207905)
Looks wonderful Cam Man! To me nice aesthetics and comfort are necessities, and your space looks like it provides both.

Hi Rich. Thank you for the kind words.

lizrussspike 11-23-2016 04:45 AM

What a great use of space Cam Man, and a great theater too! Great screen shot of Solo and Chewbacca!

AdvancedTheater 01-24-2017 01:50 PM

Congrats! I bet you are excited to get the new front speakers installed.

Cam Man 01-24-2017 04:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdvancedTheater (Post 50175305)
Congrats! I bet you are excited to get the new front speakers installed.

Thank you. Indeed I have been and here it is. Upgrade to HTM-12 L/R mains complete. Nirvana is now found. The synergy of the three LCRs, Volt-10LX surrounds. the four subs, and Audyssey Pro room correction is just astounding.

conradjohnsonfan 04-08-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam Man (Post 41885105)
Dreamt of 25 years ago at least. Nearing UPDATE: FOUND my Nirvana. :o I thought I'd post a couple of photos. Direct view by day; projection capable at night. I've left some room lighting up unusually high so that the projected image isn't floating in black in the photos. For non-critical watching via projection (sports events, etc), this is the lighting. For critical viewing of movies, it's goes pretty much bat cave mode. Strong WAF. :)

120" wide Seymour XD with custom faux finished case.
JVC Pro RS-35 with Panamorph UH-380.
Lumagen 2020 for 3D LUT calibration of both projector and LG display.
Onkyo Separates (Audyssey Pro Calibration).
UPDATE: HTM-12 L/R mains, DIYSG 88 Special Center, four subs: All concealed.
Volt-10LX surrounds with custom faux finish, six (two for each side wall, two for back wall).
Seating: Primary row is four-seat sofa; second row is 24" tall director's chairs added when required.

Hi,

I was just randomly browsing and came across your theater setup.

I have to say, this is one of the most impressive, well done, 'REAL' I could do that myself home cinema setups I have ever seen. BRAVO.

I have a similar projector, its the DLA-RS45 with lens memory, and my screen is a fixed 2.35:1 DaLite Cinema Contour. I really enjoy the convenience of the lens memory. (My previous projector was a DLA-RS20, and I had to do manual zoom) BUT, it isn't perfect. It does drift just a bit, and does not have enough fine control over the lens shift to be 100 percent accurate at all times. It gets the job 90 percent of the way done, and except for the occasional zoom, would be good enough for the vast majority of 'non-critical' eyes. BUT....

That does not describe me, AND I am looking for a way to get back some of the lost brightness from zoom. I see you have an anamorphic lens. Since you have a similar projector and screen size, I am wanting your opinion on the performance of the lens and projector. How is the focus uniformity, overall focus, and how is the geometry?

Thanks, and again, great theater.

Cam Man 04-08-2017 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conradjohnsonfan (Post 52117921)
Hi,

I was just randomly browsing and came across your theater setup.

I have to say, this is one of the most impressive, well done, 'REAL' I could do that myself home cinema setups I have ever seen. BRAVO.

I have a similar projector, its the DLA-RS45 with lens memory, and my screen is a fixed 2.35:1 DaLite Cinema Contour. I really enjoy the convenience of the lens memory. (My previous projector was a DLA-RS20, and I had to do manual zoom) BUT, it isn't perfect. It does drift just a bit, and does not have enough fine control over the lens shift to be 100 percent accurate at all times. It gets the job 90 percent of the way done, and except for the occasional zoom, would be good enough for the vast majority of 'non-critical' eyes. BUT....

That does not describe me, AND I am looking for a way to get back some of the lost brightness from zoom. I see you have an anamorphic lens. Since you have a similar projector and screen size, I am wanting your opinion on the performance of the lens and projector. How is the focus uniformity, overall focus, and how is the geometry?

Thanks, and again, great theater.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Edited to remove obsolete info.

darthray 09-08-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam Man (Post 41885105)

120" wide Seymour XD with custom faux finished case.
JVC Pro RS-35 with Panamorph UH-380.
Lumagen 2020 for 3D LUT calibration of both projector and LG display.
Onkyo Separates (Audyssey Pro Calibration).
UPDATE: HTM-12 L/R mains, DIYSG 88 Special Center, four subs: All concealed.
Seating: Primary row is four-seat sofa; second row is 24" tall director's chairs added when required.

Very impressive way to install a first class Home Theater, into a living room.
Well done!

And for ":rolleyes: He evacuates at the first explosion. :D".
Same here with two of my Cats, my third one who pass away two years ago, was the exception.
When it came to Movie time, He was there to sit on my legs:eek: :D.

Ray

Cam Man 09-08-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthray (Post 54764554)
Very impressive way to install a first class Home Theater, into a living room.
Well done!

And for ":rolleyes: He evacuates at the first explosion. :D".
Same here with two of my Cats, my third one who pass away two years ago, was the exception.
When it came to Movie time, He was there to sit on my legs:eek: :D.

Ray

Hahaha...we have cats, too. Surprisingly, they like to show up and are often movie watchers. One in particular proceeds to roll on her back, feet up in front of the screen. We recently watched the first Guardians of the Galaxy, and the cats were really fascinated by sprout Groot swaying to the music at the end of the movie. I was a little concerned that they might go for him, so I was on guard to defend the screen. :eek: I'm amazed they tolerate the spl when it gets sporty. :D Cheers, and thank you for the kind words.

EDIT: Ha...a see your old puss...that you lost. Great movie partner. My sympathies. :(

darthray 09-08-2017 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam Man (Post 54765202)
Hahaha...we have cats, too. Surprisingly, they like to show up and are often movie watchers. One in particular proceeds to roll on her back, feet up in front of the screen. We recently watched the first Guardians of the Galaxy, and the cats were really fascinated by sprout Groot swaying to the music at the end of the movie. I was a little concerned that they might go for him, so I was on guard to defend the screen. :eek: I'm amazed they tolerate the spl when it gets sporty. :D Cheers, and thank you for the kind words.

EDIT: Ha...a see your old puss...that you lost. Great movie partner. My sympathies. :(

LOL:D too funny, cats that enjoy noise and movies are very rare, you are the only second person to tell me that.

Mine did came on my legs for movie time, turn on his back watching the screen, and was Belly petting Time.
Thanks for your thought, very much appreciated.

Ray

Cam Man 03-06-2018 07:55 PM

System Upgrades

The system is undergoing some changes I thought I'd post. One is a rather big surprise and important for front projection folks to know.

Audio system updated with Marantz AV7704 AVC and Emotiva XPA-3 Gen3 3-channel amp for the LCRs (Onkyo PA-MC5500 still carries the surrounds). New Audyssey MEQ xt32 calibration executed using the Audyssey Editor App and verified/fine tuned with Omnimic passes. Utilized eyeball emulation of the Harman/JBL Synthesis target curve. Sounds fantastic with the DIYSG speakers and the subs!

Projector upgraded to JVC DLA-RS640. The image on the projector will make a grown man cry. AND THAT'S 1080P BD!! I think that advances in both types of contrast are so great along with eShift, as to make UHD never pursued here. Edit: That said, one must be able to demonstrate/enjoy it all. :o Added a Samsung 9500 UHD BD player as a UHD disc and streaming source for the RS640. I retain the Oppo 103 for 1080p sources through the Lumagen.

Finally, I have left the flock of anamorphic lens users. I know that sounds like heresy coming from me, but a test with the RS640 put the nail in that coffin. The RS640 can easily exceed 16fL in high lamp mode in zoomed scope aspect ratio. In fact, the manual iris has to be closed a few steps to control that. Low lamp renders 12fL. The Lumagen can be programmed to scale 2K CIH convenience without any image degradation detectable in my room. UHD uses the zoom memory methodology.

Cam Man 04-14-2018 09:39 AM

Batman Begins UHD/HDR

I have been leery of UHD/HDR with good cause for many of the early titles due to sometimes less than attractive source material (ho-hum or lazy cinematography and or a 2K DI) or no true re-grade for UHD/HDR. Batman Begins (and likely the other Nolan Dark Knight features) is an example of how glorious the format can be. Viewed via the RS640, Batman Begins is stunning immediately. Wally Pfister's cinematography is gorgeous, breathtaking big screen perfection! Brought to tears at the stunning beauty that actually takes the 35mm anamorphic source to a new level that was not even achievable in the photo-chemical era of projection.

I can see that favorite titles with excellent cinematography, source materials, and well-managed UHD/HDR grade will get a UHD purchase by me along the way.

The 640 is astonishing for both 1080p and UHD!

Cam Man 05-08-2018 12:23 PM

Coco

Another incredible big screen extravaganza. I agree with the reviews that the 1080p BD version is so incredibly good that the UHD version offers little. It's gorgeous to watch, but what a wonderful story! Just when I thought that "Hollywood" can no longer create a good story/script, along comes Coco. It is easily the best story/script of the past dozen movies I've seen.

Coco with the 640 and the sound system blew everyone away and brought them to tears. Highest recommendation.

Cam Man 10-15-2018 08:06 PM

Fs: Jvc rs35

For anybody passing through who might be interested, my trusted RS35 is for sale on the classifieds.

SOLD

caliguy79 11-19-2018 06:43 PM

Very cool looking system!