Hard Core Computer Tech New to the AV World - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hotchip

post #1 of 2 Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hard Core Computer Tech New to the AV World

Hi there, I'm Travis. I have a great deal of experience with computer hardware, software, and networking, but only recently purchased my first receiver, an Onkyo TX-NR838. I am hoping to learn a great deal here and will probably be asking a few questions.
  1. windows 10 pro pc - quad-core hyperthreaded 3.2GHz CPU 24GB of RAM and 32TB of local RAID 5 storage with an nvidia gtx 970 ssc card with HDMI 2.0 out to play [email protected] video
  2. onkyo av receiver tx-nr838 - audio in from pc is connected to 7.1 polk audio surround speaker configuration and video in from pc uses hdmi 2.0 pass through mode from pc to monitor [email protected]
  3. viewsonic vp2780 - lcd display running at 2160p 60hz YCbCr 4:4:4 via hdmi 2.0

The PC is custom, built for photo-editing in Adobe Lightroom and home theater use. Windows 10 Pro runs on a pair of Samsung SSDs in RAID 0 so it is fairly snappy. Local fault tolerant storage array consists of 6 8TB Seagate archival hard drives in RAID 5 with hot spare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-21-2016, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Welcome and sorry it's taken so long to get round to saying hi! These threads tend to be quite clicky between a few so it's hard to get noticed when you put a post up. Anyways as most here will tell you pictures speak a thousand words...

We look forward to some pictures of the set up!

How do you find the LCD for video viewing, that monitor specs make me pretty envious! Have you considered using a TV/projector attached instead of just the monitor? In my opinion you get a lot more immersion with a 100" screen than a 27" screen and I have a triple monitor set up on the PC but can't watch movies here.

With your upgrade to 7.1 amplification you need a big screen to match the immersion (or VR, when it becomes clear enough to be viable) maybe a projector?

Anyway, PICS!
mogorf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page