AVS Forum banner

uniquepattern's asylum

16K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  darthray 
#1 · (Edited)
Alrighty, here goes....

This is my cozy little HT... It started life as an office space with a 50" LG Plasma and HTIB that was rarely used... Then I found AVSForum.com :D

The room is 12'x14' with 8' ceilings..

My 24" Monster Subwoofers!

Equipment:
Pioneer SC-1528-k
Samsung f5900
Crown XLS2502 x2
XboxOne
PS4
Epson 8350
Grandview 106" 16:9
Antimode 2.0 Dual Core EQ

Speakers:
Polk Audio:
RTiA9 Front Left/Right
CSiA6 Center
RTiA7 Rear Surrounds
RTiA3 Front Heights
StereoIntegrity:
HS24mk2 24" Subwoofer x2

Wiring & Connectors:
Neutrik NL4FC-B speakON
Sewell Deadbolts
REAN NYS373 RCA
KnuKonceptz Kord 10AWG OFC
BTRB 24 AWG OFHS
Basics HDMI Cables

Wiring is all DIY...

This was a nightmare to wire as I only had a few inches of room in behind - even with the AVR slid as far forward as I could!
Sewell Deadbolts made the connections a lot easier...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I DIY'd the Subwoofer Enclosures, the Center Channel Stand, the Acoustic Treatments and the AV Rack!
It was way too much fun! Crank the tunes and make some sawdust!

Future Upgrades/Projects:

- I keep reading up about Nearfield Subwoofer installs, and the positive results people are getting (even those with massive LFE setups are reporting an increased level of excitement) so Im working out a design for a couple of 18" subs behind the sofa (ok, 4 x 18" subs), these Ill finish in Satin Black

- I plan to upgrade my PJ whenever my Epson 8350 finally dies...

#7 ·
Nice setup you've got there. Question - are the Crowns driving your mains (L/C/R) and if so how do you adjust volume -- do you have to turn knob on those Crowns?

Reactions: uniquepattern
#9 ·
The Crown amps are for the subs, but I did hook them up to the L/ R to see how much of a difference it made. I need to buy another Xls2502! Though, I wont use one Xls2502 bridged per speaker like I did for the test (cooked a midwoofer doing that)

AVR controls the volume, so after the Crowns were gain matched I didn't need to touch them again.

#8 ·
I like that you made a dedicated space with some scientific thought behind your decisions.

#16 ·
Welcome to the addiction hobby. The good news. Lot of fun. The really, really bad news: the rabbit hole has no bottom. There is always something faster, better, louder, cleaner, cooler looking. And that's what addictions fun hobbies are all about.

Love your use of proper room treatments. Nice room. Enjoy the ride !!!

#24 ·
Excuse the lack of seating, my sofa met an un-timely demise...

I finally have properly located surround channels!

:eek: For some reason, this is the funniest thing I have read in years! The shear size of those "surrounds" makes me now realize why my wife wouldn't allow me to mount my RTI8s on the wall as well!

Carry on! I bet it sounds freaking awesome in there!

#23 ·
Nice setup in a small room. I like that you went with the Ikea chairs and matching foot stools. My cheap bonded leather reclining sofa is on its last legs. Definitely going with Poang next time; very comfortable and extremely durable.
I have a similar sized room to yours and have taken the same approach for surround sound...speakers mounted high with absorption on the back wall. Doesn't give the same sound-field depth as a longer room, but definitely workable.
Good work painting the ceiling black. The Epson does not have stellar contrast, but still benefits from a non-reflective ceiling I'm sure.

#26 ·
nice. would love to hear/feel those subs !

your screen, you would benefit by moving it forward. mine was against the wall, i build 2 large subs, so the stage moved forwards. so i moved the screen 2' out = really nice !
just say''n

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.