Theater Room + Racing Simulator - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 5 Post By Nosferatu
  • 1 Post By Nosferatu
  • 5 Post By Nosferatu

post #1 of 28 Old 01-04-2017, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Cool Theater Room + Racing Simulator

POST #7 (HERE) has more photos!

Upgraded most of the components of my movie theater since I first put it together back in 2014. It's used for movies and TV playback with occasional racing simulator usage. It's also used for 2.1 music at times. The plans for 2017 is to do some room treatments and maybe make some front end decoration. I'm open to suggestions but the wife and I are thinking of decorating it out with more curtains up front and paint the ceiling black and give it a star-like look up above. With the cathedral ceiling figured it would add a nice bit of depth. Here's the spec break down with pictures and video below.

The Hardware
Seats
Transformer Power Reclining Sofa with two Home Solutions DuraBlend Home Theater Recliners

Projector & Screen
Sony VPL-HW40ES (1080p 3D) on an Elite Screens 150"

AV Receiver
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A1060

Amp
Emotiva XPA-3 (for the front 3)

Speakers
FRONT: Monitor Audio Platinum PL-200
CENTER: Monitor Audio Platinum PLC-350
SIDE SURROUNDS: Axiom QS8 Quadpolar Speakers
REAR SURROUNDS: Aperion Audio Verus Satellite

Subwoofer:
Seaton Submerssive HP+ (dual 15" driver)

RACING SIMULATOR
SV Racing Playseat
Fanatec CSR Wheel
Fanatec CSR Elite Pedals

Sources
HTPC - Kodi (20 terabytes)
DirecTV
BluRay

Safety
Panamax Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

THEATER DEMO:

RACING SIMULATOR DEMO:

PHOTOS:

These are from back in 2014 when first putting it together...it's come a long way with new speakers

femi, Nick V, garnuts and 2 others like this.

Thread to Build:Theater Build
Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Living Room: Aperion Grand Verus, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, 75" Sony XBR75X940E +more
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm, Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession, Stage 4 - Acceptance
...Which stage are you on?

Last edited by Nosferatu; 01-24-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wanted to say I'm a big fan of the Fanatec pedals + wheel. Looks like a great setup to race in.

... And I like how you tucked the center channel speaker wire under the carpet. =)
post #3 of 28 Old 01-12-2017, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tails View Post
Just wanted to say I'm a big fan of the Fanatec pedals + wheel. Looks like a great setup to race in.

... And I like how you tucked the center channel speaker wire under the carpet. =)
Thanks! I know there can be advantages of having a triple monitor setup to see out the sides of the car but there's something unique about a screen taking up your entire field of vision. It completely immerses you in the driving experience.

Surprised only one comment on this rig I've but together but whatever...at the end of the day I'm the one enjoying it.

Theater: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PL350C, Seaton Submerssive, 150" 3D Elite Screens +more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 01-21-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 1628
Your room is incredible! Great work indeed.

I know a few that are into SIM racing and I've never asked the question, does the racing seat provide the sensation of acceleration, braking and sliding? And do you get any feedback from the steering wheel?

Thanks man!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Marantz AV8802A W/M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #5 of 28 Old 01-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 9
That's a nice simulator setup with Home theater flexibility.
post #6 of 28 Old 01-24-2017, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Your room is incredible! Great work indeed.

I know a few that are into SIM racing and I've never asked the question, does the racing seat provide the sensation of acceleration, braking and sliding? And do you get any feedback from the steering wheel?

Thanks man!
Thank you. The wheel gives feedback rather realistically. The clutch has a snap to it (like a real clutch) and the brake has a load cell in it (so you can brake based on muscle memory for how hard to hit the pedal to stop). There's no G-force loads to feel but the seat does have a subwoofer built into it so you can feel some of the rumbling of the road.

If I want the feel of the road I take out one of our two sports cars. Based on your signature and photo looks like you're a bike guy. My "go fast" car is also known as "Godzilla" by the car community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkedwin View Post
That's a nice simulator setup with Home theater flexibility.
It is. I'll update the thread here in a moment with some new photos I took of the simulator. I have since added an android phone to the wheel (old Nexus 5) so it shows telemetry data while driving but more importantly I did some much needed cable management with the simulator. I posted those pictures in a rush when I got the wheel but now I had to make it look right for the overall appearance of the room.
michaellsv likes this.

post #7 of 28 Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updated with more photos of the simulator. Cable management and the DashMeter PRO software for an interactive dashboard / telemetry system. Also got the speakers working in the racing seat and upgraded the video card over the weekend (GeForce GTX 1070). Old one conveniently failed on me this past weekend.

post #8 of 28 Old 01-24-2017, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Thank you. The wheel gives feedback rather realistically. The clutch has a snap to it (like a real clutch) and the brake has a load cell in it (so you can brake based on muscle memory for how hard to hit the pedal to stop). There's no G-force loads to feel but the seat does have a subwoofer built into it so you can feel some of the rumbling of the road.

If I want the feel of the road I take out one of our two sports cars. Based on your signature and photo looks like you're a bike guy. My "go fast" car is also known as "Godzilla" by the car community.
That sounds pretty awesome! Yeah, I've been a bike guy for thousands of years, at least a hundred

I haven't gone fast since 2010 but I'd jump in/on pretty much anything, I just love going as fast as I'm able. I know I'd dig the seat, I'd probably get in trouble every day with a set up like yours.

You mentioned "one of" the sports cars. Do you have variable transmissions, like 4, 5 and 6 speeds?

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Marantz AV8802A W/M.P. Monolith XLR's-Oppo 103-65" 4K Sammy-Emotiva: XPA-DR3, XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2-PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4-LiSM706-FXiA6 x 4-LiSM703-Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #9 of 28 Old 01-24-2017, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 352
lovely setup. reminds me of my projector based sim setup but without a good sound system like you have.

do you perchance do any real racing? karts etc?

THANK YOU!!! for your selfless contribution to the audio world
Anders Torger for Brutefir
Thomas Drugeon for Rephase
John Mulcahy for room eq wizard
Denis Sbragion for DRC room correction
Juha Hartikainen for Winisd
post #10 of 28 Old 01-24-2017, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
You mentioned "one of" the sports cars. Do you have variable transmissions, like 4, 5 and 6 speeds?
Nissan GT-R is the Godzilla
Corvette Stingray is the wife's and is a manual (7 speed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1201 View Post
lovely setup. reminds me of my projector based sim setup but without a good sound system like you have.

do you perchance do any real racing? karts etc?
1/4mi drag racing mostly. I've done a few road racing tracks and I'm looking to get into it this year. It's just an expensive hobby (just like the theater stuff) so I can only responsibly burn the candle at only so many ends. This simulator rig keeps my want to do the real racing at bay for a little bit (and gives me some much needed practice).

post #11 of 28 Old 01-24-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It's just an expensive hobby (just like the theater stuff) so I can only responsibly burn the candle at only so many ends. This simulator rig keeps my want to do the real racing at bay for a little bit (and gives me some much needed practice).
Accurately said, and well said!!

Had I not had the sponsorship I was blessed with, there was no way I could have competed at the level I was at. And even then, it's such a delicate balance, flying down the straights anywhere from 175 to 185mph only to slow to 120mph in a heart beat and glide on your boot edge and knee sliders with minimal grip, all the while, knowing that if you had more sponsorship, you could give more of yourself while on the other side of the coin, you know that you have a "job" to go back to on Monday with a family to support.

A delicate balance indeed. I was very blessed and fortunate to have accomplished as much as I did and be able to sit here and mention it.

Set up:
post #12 of 28 Old 01-24-2017, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nissan GT-R is the Godzilla
Corvette Stingray is the wife's and is a manual (7 speed)

1/4mi drag racing mostly. I've done a few road racing tracks and I'm looking to get into it this year. It's just an expensive hobby (just like the theater stuff) so I can only responsibly burn the candle at only so many ends. This simulator rig keeps my want to do the real racing at bay for a little bit (and gives me some much needed practice).
theater stuff imo is downright cheap compared to drag racing or road racing.

The sims are great. I race karts and a lot of the top kids at my track also practice on iracing. Only advice I can give you is when you get into cars forget everything you ever learned about braking in sims. if you brake in real life like you brake in the sims lap time will suffer greatly.

if you have a kart track around you look into lo206 club racing. its a way to get good racing for about $1500 a year, and you get gs that you cant get in cars, until you get into open wheeled race cars.

post #13 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

The sims are great. I race karts and a lot of the top kids at my track also practice on iracing. Only advice I can give you is when you get into cars forget everything you ever learned about braking in sims. if you brake in real life like you brake in the sims lap time will suffer greatly.

if you have a kart track around you look into lo206 club racing. its a way to get good racing for about $1500 a year, and you get gs that you cant get in cars, until you get into open wheeled race cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8eZjIj2W0
I agree and it's why I do the theater over the cars. I just daily drive them and have fun with the occasional drag racing. Enlighten me on the brakes. I've done actual track stuff before and with a load cell on the brake pedal it feels pretty progressive like an actual car. I'll look into the karting.

post #14 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree and it's why I do the theater over the cars. I just daily drive them and have fun with the occasional drag racing. Enlighten me on the brakes. I've done actual track stuff before and with a load cell on the brake pedal it feels pretty progressive like an actual car. I'll look into the karting.
Ive never used a load cell brake pedal. maybe it fixes this issue,
the differences between sim braking and real braking are

Sim braking
1. no feel for the point of maximum braking so you can get better lap times by braking at say 80-90%
2. the pedal travel is too long
3. if you get to the point of resistance you lock up the brakes in sim
4. sims lock the brakes too easily in general so you have to be gentle squeezing on the brakes.
5. you typically have to have some throttle even under braking to get the best lap times.

Race braking
1. short travel from 1% braking to 100% braking
2. at maximum braking you are basically standing on the brake!
3. the onset of full braking is very quick, sometimes as quickly as you can do it short of just jamming the brakes if the tires are new, and the track is hot.
4. maximum braking feels like pushing your foot against a wall as hard as you can
5. you dont use throttle under braking to balance the car as you would in a sim.

post #15 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ive never used a load cell brake pedal. maybe it fixes this issue,
the differences between sim braking and real braking are

Sim braking
1. no feel for the point of maximum braking so you can get better lap times by braking at say 80-90%
2. the pedal travel is too long
3. if you get to the point of resistance you lock up the brakes in sim
4. sims lock the brakes too easily in general so you have to be gentle squeezing on the brakes.
5. you typically have to have some throttle even under braking to get the best lap times.

Race braking
1. short travel from 1% braking to 100% braking
2. at maximum braking you are basically standing on the brake!
3. the onset of full braking is very quick, sometimes as quickly as you can do it short of just jamming the brakes if the tires are new, and the track is hot.
4. maximum braking feels like pushing your foot against a wall as hard as you can
5. you dont use throttle under braking to balance the car as you would in a sim.
I agree 100% on race braking (as I have raced before on a track). To address your sim braking:

Sim braking
1. The load cell gives you a great feel for where the maximum grip point is and gives you good muscle memory for knowing how far to push
2. Pedal travel is not far on the Fanatec pedals. I've used the Logitech G25/27 setup before and I 100% agree with you
3. Didn't follow what you were trying to say here...
4. Depends on the game. I find Assetto Corsa and rFactor2 to be pretty good. Live For Speed is another good one. Project Cars seriously lacks realism but has the best graphics.
5. This is true and probably the only unrealistic part I've come across. I try not to throttle it to correct because of that reason.

post #16 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL8eZjIj2W0
Wow, that was pretty amazing. Very narrow race line, it looked like it took several laps for the pack to gap itself, and very few opportunities to pass. The last lap effort was crazy, using the grass to set up the pass for the last corner.

And if you make just one mistake, forget it, you're out of there. Crazy indeed.

Set up:
post #17 of 28 Old 01-26-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree 100% on race braking (as I have raced before on a track). To address your sim braking:

Sim braking
1. The load cell gives you a great feel for where the maximum grip point is and gives you good muscle memory for knowing how far to push
2. Pedal travel is not far on the Fanatec pedals. I've used the Logitech G25/27 setup before and I 100% agree with you
3. Didn't follow what you were trying to say here...
4. Depends on the game. I find Assetto Corsa and rFactor2 to be pretty good. Live For Speed is another good one. Project Cars seriously lacks realism but has the best graphics.
5. This is true and probably the only unrealistic part I've come across. I try not to throttle it to correct because of that reason.
it sounds like with the better pedals with load cell its closer to the real thing. cool.

Quote:
Wow, that was pretty amazing. Very narrow race line, it looked like it took several laps for the pack to gap itself, and very few opportunities to pass. The last lap effort was crazy, using the grass to set up the pass for the last corner.

And if you make just one mistake, forget it, you're out of there. Crazy indeed.
hehe. there were quite a few position changes iirc.
I wish the grass guy had one. it seemed like the winner intentionally encroached on his space to force him to back off, which he didnt.

post #18 of 28 Old 02-02-2017, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 546
post #19 of 28 Old 02-03-2017, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post
New speakers look sweet. Looking forward to hearing your setup again in the future.
I'm off all weekend and Monday if you want to drop by. We could head your way perhaps and do a movie night as well if you want.

post #20 of 28 Old 02-03-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Cool, I'll check with the wife to see what we have going on. This is the only weekend for the next 3 weeks that we will have that aren't slammed.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-03-2017, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthman View Post
Cool, I'll check with the wife to see what we have going on. This is the only weekend for the next 3 weeks that we will have that aren't slammed.
k

You still have my number? If not, I'll just shoot your a text.

post #22 of 28 Old 02-03-2017, 08:38 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Nos,

Beautiful set up you have there! Great job managing all those cables. I am the guy from down south of you. Just North of Sarasota. About 40-60 mins away depending on traffic.

I am jealous of your Dedicated Movie Room! I don't have a space like that, but sure wish I did. When I retired we downsized and my current home does not have any spare room big enough to turn into a Movie Theatre. Oh well, you make due with the best you have right?

Anywho, I would be very receptive to a demonstration type of exchange. If you are up to such a thing. Send me a PM and we can talk details and schedules.

Again, awesome setup. Splendid indeed Sir!

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-03-2017, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Nos,

Beautiful set up you have there! Great job managing all those cables. I am the guy from down south of you. Just North of Sarasota. About 40-60 mins away depending on traffic.

I am jealous of your Dedicated Movie Room! I don't have a space like that, but sure wish I did. When I retired we downsized and my current home does not have any spare room big enough to turn into a Movie Theatre. Oh well, you make due with the best you have right?

Anywho, I would be very receptive to a demonstration type of exchange. If you are up to such a thing. Send me a PM and we can talk details and schedules.

Again, awesome setup. Splendid indeed Sir!
Thanks. I'll PM you details as to my location. I'm in my early 30s so we bought a big house with plans for kids in the near future so I told my wife if there's no room to build a theater the house is a no go. The only stipulation she said was don't call it the "man cave" because she says I plan on using it too! The only other concession I had to make was was the center couch so we can "cuddle." I don't mind it flips out a command console in the center and it becomes a 2 seat couch if I prefer.

It works out as a one story property with the upstairs bonus room converted into the theater. Since we don't get basements in Florida this is like a basement; just going upstairs instead of downstairs and not as big as a basement. Room is 21' x 17' IIRC.

What exactly is a "demonstration type of exchange?" I'm not loaning out any parts of it lol. If you mean demo out the setup I'm cool with it.

post #24 of 28 Old 02-03-2017, 11:46 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Thanks. I'll PM you details as to my location. I'm in my early 30s so we bought a big house with plans for kids in the near future so I told my wife if there's no room to build a theater the house is a no go. The only stipulation she said was don't call it the "man cave" because she says I plan on using it too! The only other concession I had to make was was the center couch so we can "cuddle." I don't mind it flips out a command console in the center and it becomes a 2 seat couch if I prefer.

It works out as a one story property with the upstairs bonus room converted into the theater. Since we don't get basements in Florida this is like a basement; just going upstairs instead of downstairs and not as big as a basement. Room is 21' x 17' IIRC.

What exactly is a "demonstration type of exchange?" I'm not loaning out any parts of it lol. If you mean demo out the setup I'm cool with it.
I'm talking about visiting your home to demo your gear and such. Then you come to my house or vice versa. We pick a few favorite movies or Albums and go from there. I bring some of my favorite media and you do the same. We talk and share knowledge. Perhaps a beer or two. I have a 4K setup so it might give you an opportunity to demo this technology is an actual home rather than in a large box store. Just a suggestion since we are fairly close. However, if you rather not. I would completely understand.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #25 of 28 Old 02-09-2017, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
I'm talking about visiting your home to demo your gear and such. Then you come to my house or vice versa. We pick a few favorite movies or Albums and go from there. I bring some of my favorite media and you do the same. We talk and share knowledge. Perhaps a beer or two. I have a 4K setup so it might give you an opportunity to demo this technology is an actual home rather than in a large box store. Just a suggestion since we are fairly close. However, if you rather not. I would completely understand.
Sounds good, sent you a PM.

post #26 of 28 Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
That racing setup seals the deal. My other hobby is track racing and you're right, expensive as all heck. Actually makes HT cheap in comparison but far more addicting. Do some autrocross (if you haven't already). A lot of fun, safe, and fairly cheap (tires for a season or two and entry fees, usually around $50). The problem is, most don't stop there - hpde days, then wheel to wheel - ugh. (Just bought a spec miata for that).
post #27 of 28 Old 02-15-2017, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2399 View Post
That racing setup seals the deal. My other hobby is track racing and you're right, expensive as all heck. Actually makes HT cheap in comparison but far more addicting. Do some autrocross (if you haven't already). A lot of fun, safe, and fairly cheap (tires for a season or two and entry fees, usually around $50). The problem is, most don't stop there - hpde days, then wheel to wheel - ugh. (Just bought a spec miata for that).
Return on investment the home theater makes more sense and why I've stayed away from road racing. It has taken me a lot of discipline to stop modifying/upgrading my cars and my theater and headphone hobbies. I've learned to take a back seat to all that stuff and just sit down and enjoy all of them rather than a constant battle of change this, upgrade that, etc. etc. etc. They're all complete and all a joy to use. Speaking of which, I'm going to go upstairs now and play the simulator.

post #28 of 28 Old 02-15-2017, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Return on investment the home theater makes more sense and why I've stayed away from road racing. It has taken me a lot of discipline to stop modifying/upgrading my cars and my theater and headphone hobbies. I've learned to take a back seat to all that stuff and just sit down and enjoy all of them rather than a constant battle of change this, upgrade that, etc. etc. etc. They're all complete and all a joy to use. Speaking of which, I'm going to go upstairs now and play the simulator.
Damnit, that makes a lot of sense. When you put it that way....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page