GRISE Basement Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 38Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 02-11-2017, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Sonus Faber Basement Theater

12.23.2018 - 7.2.4 with Front Wides ATMOS - DTS:X

Here is my first dedicated room guys. Build started in 2013 and upgraded equipment over time. I will post pictures of the development soon when I have more time!

EQUIPMENT


Dedicated Home Theater

Display
JVC D-ILA RS-46
Elunevision 128" 1.4 16:9

Processors/Amplification
Marantz SR7010
Monolith 7X
Velodyne SMS-1
iNuke 6000DSP
Furman Elite 15

Players
WDTV
PS4
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Control4 HC-800 (TIDAL)

Speakers
Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 - FRONTS LR
Sonus Faber Venere Center - CC
Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 - FRONT WIDES
Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 - SURROUNDS
Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) - TF/TR

Subwoofers
Dayton Reference RSS460 18" (2)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9559.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	609.8 KB
ID:	2334288   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9561.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	572.2 KB
ID:	2334290   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9562.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	655.6 KB
ID:	2334292   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9566.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	2334294   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9151.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	2335126  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9682.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	546.7 KB
ID:	2500180   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9680.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	607.1 KB
ID:	2500182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9685.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	2500236  
LTD02, shivaji, darthray and 10 others like this.

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)

Last edited by jsgrise; 03-16-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: System Update
jsgrise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 50 Old 02-11-2017, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
reserved

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #3 of 50 Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Patriot666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Subbed. Great room! What are your room dimensions? My space looks very similar but the area under the soffit is open. I've been trying to plan building a wall there to close off the theater but I can't decide where under the soffit to build it. It looks like you opted to put it under the side that gives you more width in the theater?
jsgrise likes this.
Patriot666 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 50 Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot666 View Post
Subbed. Great room! What are your room dimensions? My space looks very similar but the area under the soffit is open. I've been trying to plan building a wall there to close off the theater but I can't decide where under the soffit to build it. It looks like you opted to put it under the side that gives you more width in the theater?
Thanks Pal!

The room dimensions are 14'x17', the screen being on the short side. I did not have much choice to put the wall there since a stair case is on the other side of it. I find the room big enough for now, but in a future house, I would like to have at least more depth to have better bass response (i.e.: 14'x27') and ideally more width to fit 2 or 3 4-seats rows.

Do you have a floor plan of your room (area)?

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)

Last edited by jsgrise; 02-15-2017 at 06:32 AM.
jsgrise is offline  
post #5 of 50 Old 02-15-2017, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Patriot666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Thanks Pal!

The room dimensions are 14'x17', the screen being on the short side. I did not have much choice to put the wall there since a stair case is on the other side of it. I find the room big enough for now, but in a future house, I would like to have at least more depth to have better bass response (i.e.: 14'x27') and ideally more width to fit 2 or 3 4-seats rows.

Do you have a floor plan of your room (area)?
As I said my room is still in an open basement, but I have display cabinets that create a fake wall, with velvet hanging on and under the soffit down the cabinets. The room is 15x17 but I'm considering building a wall flush with the inside of the soffit, level with it, so that room would be exactly the same as yours 14X27. I've also considered moving the back wall to make the room 20 deep, but that'll involve much more work obviously. Not sure it's worth it because I so rarely have enough guests to justify another row of recliners.
Patriot666 is offline  
post #6 of 50 Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
uniquepattern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Nice looking room! I like the colour scheme...
jsgrise likes this.
uniquepattern is offline  
post #7 of 50 Old 02-15-2017, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Nice looking room! I like the colour scheme...
Thanks! I like your 24s
uniquepattern likes this.

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #8 of 50 Old 02-15-2017, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
uniquepattern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Thanks! I like your 24s
Thanks! They are so much fun!
So where abouts in Canada are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm in Ontario, an hour or so north of Toronto...
uniquepattern is offline  
post #9 of 50 Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Thanks! They are so much fun!
So where abouts in Canada are you if you don't mind my asking? I'm in Ontario, an hour or so north of Toronto...
I am in the Montreal (QC) area
uniquepattern likes this.

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #10 of 50 Old 02-15-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
uniquepattern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
I am in the Montreal (QC) area
Right on, I was out that way a few years ago... Beautiful area, with very friendly people! I had a blast...
jsgrise likes this.
uniquepattern is offline  
post #11 of 50 Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Member
 
zebracatzebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
That's a great looking theater room! Is there a reason you have a SMS-1 and an inuke dsp? I'm curious as I have a SMS-1 and am in the process of building DIY subs with an inuke dsp. I was going to get rid of the SMS-1 because I thought if I use the inuke to equalize the subs that the SMS-1 would be redundant. Just wondering if your experience has taught you otherwise. Thanks!
jsgrise likes this.
zebracatzebra is offline  
post #12 of 50 Old 03-06-2017, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebracatzebra View Post
That's a great looking theater room! Is there a reason you have a SMS-1 and an inuke dsp? I'm curious as I have a SMS-1 and am in the process of building DIY subs with an inuke dsp. I was going to get rid of the SMS-1 because I thought if I use the inuke to equalize the subs that the SMS-1 would be redundant. Just wondering if your experience has taught you otherwise. Thanks!
Thank you!

About the SMS-1, good question. First of all, it acts as a RCA to XLR converter. Secondly, if you go ported and want to add an HPF, the iNuke DSP cannot go lower than 20Hz unlike the SMS-1. Finally, I still use it for quick room measurements. It's not the most accurate (1/6th octave smoothing) but the fact that it is in Real Time is practical sometimes.

Bottom line, I would keep it!
biga6761 likes this.

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)

Last edited by jsgrise; 03-06-2017 at 02:33 PM.
jsgrise is offline  
post #13 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
randyc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Thank you!

About the SMS-1, good question. First of all, it acts as a RCA to XLR converter. Secondly, if you go ported and want to add an HPF, the iNuke DSP cannot go lower than 20Hz unlike the SMS-1. Finally, I still use it for quick room measurements. It's not the most accurate (1/6th octave smoothing) but the fact that it is in Real Time is practical sometimes.

Bottom line, I would keep it!
Nice Room !

...There is actually a way around to getting Inuke DSP to a Lower than 20HZ Crossover !

Funny how are speaker setups look similar !

White subs will be going in back of room replaced by black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170315_200845.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	2028777  

Last edited by randyc1; 03-15-2017 at 05:22 PM.
randyc1 is offline  
post #14 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
Nice Room !

...There is actually a way around to getting Inuke DSP to a Lower than 20HZ Crossover !

Funny how are speaker setups look similar !

White subs will be going in back of room replaced by black.
Good to hear from you! What subs do you have? What speakers?

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #15 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
randyc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Speakers are DIY Statement Monitors,.. "JIM Holtz" design.http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_Monitor.html

Subs are also DIY 5.6cuft net Vol with SI 15"
randyc1 is offline  
post #16 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
Speakers are DIY Statement Monitors,.. "JIM Holtz" design.http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statements_Monitor.html

Subs are also DIY 5.6cuft net Vol with SI 15"
Nice! I'd love to listen to that!

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #17 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
randyc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 42
...Anytime Bud.
randyc1 is offline  
post #18 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DavidK442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,662
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Excellent gear and a great, acoustically treated room to put it in.
Doing it right the first time around!
Very nice sir.
jsgrise likes this.
DavidK442 is offline  
post #19 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
...Anytime Bud.
Excellent, maybe next week if it works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Excellent gear and a great, acoustically treated room to put it in.
Doing it right the first time around!
Very nice sir.
Thank you, much appreciated! I guess the next step is AT screen with JBL 4722N array

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #20 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
randyc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 935
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Excellent, maybe next week if it works out for you.



Thank you, much appreciated! I guess the next step is AT screen with JBL 4722N array
sure maybe Friday , i'm off work.
randyc1 is offline  
post #21 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
sure maybe Friday , i'm off work.
Good, I'll contact you next week. Could you PM me your cell #?

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #22 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
sure maybe Friday , i'm off work.
Good, I'll contact you next week. Could you PM me your cell #?

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #23 of 50 Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post
sure maybe Friday , i'm off work.
Good, I'll contact you next week. Could you PM me your cell #?

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #24 of 50 Old 12-22-2017, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Finally took the plunge and rigged out the theater with an Atmos 5.2.4 and wow! Love it! Feels like room got much larger!

Pictures have been uploaded in the first post!
femi likes this.

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #25 of 50 Old 12-26-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,449
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Well done, Jsgrise.

Maybe you already explored thus idea as you have been at this a long time. But from the pictures I can't help wondering if your L/R speakers are not feeling the love -- told to stand in the corners behind the subs. Looking at uniquepattern's room, he has the subs a little closer together and pulled the L/R forward. I found that having the L/R a few feet from the wall helps their bass response smoothness.

Carry on!

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #26 of 50 Old 12-27-2017, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Well done, Jsgrise.

Maybe you already explored thus idea as you have been at this a long time. But from the pictures I can't help wondering if your L/R speakers are not feeling the love -- told to stand in the corners behind the subs. Looking at uniquepattern's room, he has the subs a little closer together and pulled the L/R forward. I found that having the L/R a few feet from the wall helps their bass response smoothness.

Carry on!
Dear Roger,

Many thanks for your input. The L/R are currently sitting on top of the subs, 28 inch before the front wall. I use to have the sub closer together when I had towers (no choice), but spreading them further appart gave me a better response. I have tried about all scenarios in my room and this is the setup that sounds the best so far. Bass response isn't perfect, but maybe adding a 3rd and 4th sub will help one day

BTW, you have one heck of a setup! In my next theater, I would like to have seating for 8 to 12 people and will definitely use yours as a reference! Kudos to you!

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #27 of 50 Old 12-27-2017, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
satboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Dear Roger,

Many thanks for your input. The L/R are currently sitting on top of the subs, 28 inch before the front wall. I use to have the sub closer together when I had towers (no choice), but spreading them further appart gave me a better response. I have tried about all scenarios in my room and this is the setup that sounds the best so far. Bass response isn't perfect, but maybe adding a 3rd and 4th sub will help one day

BTW, you have one heck of a setup! In my next theater, I would like to have seating for 8 to 12 people and will definitely use yours as a reference! Kudos to you!
I noticed you raised the couch with wood blocks, how come?

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
satboy is offline  
post #28 of 50 Old 12-27-2017, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by satboy View Post
I noticed you raised the couch with wood blocks, how come?
The couch sits really low and my neck was taking a hit, so I raised it to a more standard seating height.

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
post #29 of 50 Old 12-27-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,449
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2925 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Dear Roger,

Many thanks for your input. The L/R are currently sitting on top of the subs, 28 inch before the front wall.
Ahh, that's much better. And t looks like they are sitting closer to the fronts of the subs than I thought. Good stuff.

Quote:
I use to have the sub closer together when I had towers (no choice), but spreading them further apart gave me a better response. I have tried about all scenarios in my room and this is the setup that sounds the best so far. Bass response isn't perfect, but maybe adding a 3rd and 4th sub will help one day
Have any of your various scenarios included a sub behind the sofa? I realize it would totally get in the way of the chairs, but just for testing purposes. I have found in both my rooms that neither front nor rears used alone worked very well, but they were quite different in their foibles. Used together was always better. If that were the case for you, an in-wall sub in the rear wall might do the trick without getting in the way.

Quote:
BTW, you have one heck of a setup! In my next theater, I would like to have seating for 8 to 12 people and will definitely use yours as a reference! Kudos to you!
You're very kind.
A 12-seater is an ambitious project!
jsgrise likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #30 of 50 Old 12-27-2017, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jsgrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Province of Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Have any of your various scenarios included a sub behind the sofa? I realize it would totally get in the way of the chairs, but just for testing purposes. I have found in both my rooms that neither front nor rears used alone worked very well, but they were quite different in their foibles. Used together was always better. If that were the case for you, an in-wall sub in the rear wall might do the trick without getting in the way.
I did think about one in the back but both on the front wall is what works the best right now. I may add a third and fourth eventually in the back

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
jsgrise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off