Let's watch everything! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2017, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Let's watch everything!

I don't know what happened. I have always been watching VHS and then DVD and then BluRay, but for some reason I kinda went crazy. Now with 2 TVs with surround receivers in one room, I finally think I can post a couple pictures and what I have. I will put some things at the end that I still want to get someday.

Some of you who have seen some of my posts will have an idea for what you are in for...

Now let's get this out of the way first. Anyone who has a thing for uniformity should just turn back now. I don't want to hear any "ugg why would you do that" or any such negative things. And to clue you in, both the surround receivers are using the rear channels in the front. That's just how I have it right now. All that matters is that it sounds good right?

Let's start with the more "normal" side of the room.

TV: Westinghouse DWM40F1Y1 40" LCD HD TV
AVR: Sony STR-DE597 (audio only, it does not have HDMI ports)
BD: Sony PlayStation 3 CECH-2001A (BD and DVD playback, connected via HDMI/optical)
HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-DVD Player HD-A3 (connected via HDMI/optical)
Cassette: HVC TD-R421 Stereo Cassette Deck
Speakers A Front: Kenwood LS-N451L
Speakers B Front: Sony SS-H700
Center/Rears: 3x Kenwood CRS-N551
Sub: Vizio VSB 211-Z

You can see some "hints" as for the rest from this image. So here is the fun stuff:

TV: Sony KV-32FS100
AVR: Yamaha RX-V493 (audio only)
VCR: Panasonic PV-V4522
BD/DVD: Sony BDP-S300
LD: Panasonic LX-H670 double-sided
Front Speakers: Fisher ST-992
Rear speakers: RCA ?
Center speaker: Sony SS-MSP1

In first picture you can see the Goldstar Video 8/VCR dual deck, above is the Recoton box which is needed to create mono two-channel (fake stereo) from the mono audio out on the Goldstar.

I will be receiving a CED player soon and am looking to get a Betamax player. I would prefer a front-loader but will likely get a top loader first because I know where one is for cheap. The only video format I currently own media for but cannot play is Betacam.

The HD-DVD player is connected via composite audio currently because I need to get an optical switch. The Sony AVR only has one optical input. All of the devices on the legacy setup are running in stereo. The Panasonic VCR is able to (at times, if you had this setup in the past then you already know) produce the proper Pro Logic output for the AVR. NOTE: I had tested it before, but the ProLogic on the Sony AVR does not work on a VCR. The Yamaha AVR is able to do it properly, likely because it supports true Dolby 4.1 Surround (it is of that era) and the other one is not. Yamaha is running Phantom center channel because of the TV Stand that the TV uses, there is no place to put a center channel. Also need to get a 5.1 Optical/AC-3 RF decoder to connect into the discrete, the optical for the Sony BD player so I can get surround on that TV also. LaserDisc player is connected via S-Video as the picture quality is better than the composite... I tested it and found it to be the case. On the Sony TV, the BD player is connected with Component. The subwoofer from the modern specs are connected to both receivers using a switch.

Aside from what has already been posted, some day I want to upgrade the LaserDisc player to one with AC3-RF as well, which is why I want to get a period Dolby Decoder that supports that as well as 5.1 on optical. Future planning.

AACD

Last edited by 41532; 10-25-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-25-2018, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Updates from first post.

1. The Goldstar Video8/VHS GVR-D11 and the Retocon MTS Stereo Decoder v622 have been removed from the SDTV setup for some time and are on a currently under-utilised setup I have in another room as the primary VCR. I will need to document that one later.

2. I have "upgraded" the Sony BDP-S350 to a Sony BDP-S300. The S300 has 6 channel outputs and that now connects to the AVR to its 6 channel inputs. Using this as a DVD player (currently) eliminates the future need for a dual Surround decoder. However, this decoder may still be needed in the future if I am ever to get a LD player with AC3 RF. Also, the S300 came with the remote for the system, which is a big step up from the S350 which was using a reprogrammed DTV remote. And the best part is that I bought this S300 BD player at a rummage sale for $2.

3. Due to the height difference between the S300 compared to the S350, it was not possible to put the BD player in the bottom section above the LD player. The only place I was able to fit it was above the AVR on the top shelf. I had only used the SDTV setup a couple of times like this, but I knew that this wasn't going to fly because the S300 was blocking the vents on the AVR. So I took to the task of re-arranging the systems. Now the AVR is on the bottom, the LD player is on the top and the BD player is on top of the LD player.

4. I had previously replaced the Sony SS-MSP1 speakers I was using for the rears with a set of RCA, but I forgot to write down the models on those.

5. I tested out a new set of speakers I had picked up at thrift and decided to replace the front speakers which were Sanyo AWM-2800SP with Fisher ST-992. I used Tron Legacy (BD) to do the sound testing and utilized the Speaker A/B switch to compare the two. The Fisher speakers were a million times better and I could tell the difference compared to the Sanyo immediately. I didn't have to do any rigorous back and forth listening like I did when I was testing speakers on my HDTV setup. I even had another set of speakers I had picked up as the next ones to try. With the way the Fishers sounded, I didn't even bother trying out the other set.

6. The center channel speaker is added as a single speaker, one of the Sony SS-MSP1 that were used before. This small speaker fits on the second shelf next to the VCR. This speaker is not ideal and does not sound very good, but a center channel is required with the way the S300 is connected, and the AVR does not support phantom center when using the 6 channel inputs.

Future plans:
- need a small table to put on the left side of the cabinet. There is a small space there that I can utilize and will use that table to put a speaker. Existing left front speaker location may or may not change.
- Once the small table is in place, then I will be able to change from using single center channel to two center channel speakers. This configuration is allowed by the system. Doing so will let me put the center channel on the left and right of the cabinet and I will have greater flexibility with the size of the speakers used and won't have to use the Sony SS-MSP1 speaker any longer.

Due to space considerations with the SDTV setup, there is now no plans for the Goldstar Video8, nor the CED or Beta players (when they get repaired) to be used there. I will end up using them on a different setup, which I should detail soon. So far that one is not that impressive.

First post has been updated with components. Changes outlined in this post. Photos have not been updated.

AACD

Last edited by 41532; 10-25-2018 at 11:19 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-24-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Removed original content. This post will have the main setup lists and updated.
Changed previously used "TV#" to "Loc#" since the locations do not change, and one location currently has two TVs.

Loc1
Set:
Westinghouse DWM40F1Y1
AVR:
Onkyo TX-SR353
HD-DVD:
Toshiba HD-A3
UHD:
Sony UBP-X700
Fronts:
Fisher ST-992
Rears:
Sony SS-H700
Center:
Kenwood CRS-N551
Sub:
Kenwood SW-36HT

Loc2

Set:
Sony KV-32FS100
AVR:
Yamaha RX-V493
VCR:
Panasonic PV-V4522
LD:
Panasonic LX-H670
BD:
Sony BDP-S300
Fronts:
Kenwood LS-N451
Rears:
RCA SP120-11
Center:
RCA 04-5014
Sub:
on switch with Loc1

Loc3

Set:
Magnavox 20MS3442/17
AVR:
Sony STR-DE597
Tape:
Pioneer CT-M55R
Video Game:
Sega Saturn MK-80001
Video Game:
Sega Saturn HST-3220
EQ:
Pyle PPEQ100
Front Left:
Jensen SBC65
Front Right:
RCA SP9900
Rears:
n/a
center:
n/a
Sub:
Vizio VSB211-Z

Loc4

Loc5
Set:
NEC
AVR:
Sony
VCR:
Panasonic
BD:
Sony BDP-S350
TT:
Sony

Loc6
Set:
RCA
Set:
Sharp Aquos 40”
VCR:
DVD:

Loc7
Set:
VCR:
DVD:
Tape:
Rec:
Kenwood
Speakers:

AACD

Last edited by 41532; Today at 01:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-18-2019, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

TV3 updates- the Sharp Aquos will be moving to "TV6" location at some point, but will be using two sets in that room. This also means the PS3 and Retron will move as well, and then I'll be open to getting another AVR for TV3. The set designated for TV4 will likely be going into this location and TV4 location will be headless for a while.

- the Technics EQ is out and replaced with Pyle PPEQ100, which has greater range. Gave the Technics EQ to daddoo.

TV3: Sharp Aquos 40"
AVR: Sony STR-DE597
Tape: Pioneer CT-M55R
EQ: Pyle PPEQ100 **new**
BD: PlayStation 3 CECH-2001A
Front left: Jensen SBC65
Front right: RCA SP9900
Rears: n/a
Center: n/a
Sub: Vizio CSV211-Z
Game: Retron 5

TV6 updates
- DVD player (Pioneer) is out. It has eject issues and has trouble reading some discs. It has been replaced by (I believe) the previous Sony BDP-S350.
- Added Sony turntable
- Was using two tables for everything, replaced with wire rack shelf.

Will edit this post with the components for TV6 later.

AACD
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Changed post 3 to be the current updated list of locations.
Things always change, I get new ideas or want to move things into other locations.

LOC3 changes the most. The Sharp Aquos HDTV is moved to LOC6. Back in is the Magnavox 20" CRT, which sits on top of two broken LaserDisc players to give it stability and height. The PS3 and Retron 5 are out, currently unassigned but will likely be moving to LOC6 as well. The Sony AVR may be moving too, but I think that I need to get a Component AVR to go in this place. Then the Sony can go to LOC6. Basically this happened because I had finally got and tried out the SCART to component setup for the Sega Saturn. It "works" but I think I need new SCART cables for those. The ones I have are not shielded and while it does technically work, the quality is low. I also will get a SCART switch at some point. If I can get everything as I'd like, I could put the Sega Master System and Genesis on this TV as well.

LOC4 has nothing, and it is possible it won't get anything. I may end up putting a computer here instead.

LOC5 is the above "TV6"

LOC6 I put the Aquos into that room so I can watch football. I wasn't using it in the other room. Everything has a purpose! I was watching football on the 20" RCA in there, which is fine. But I realise the OTA box I have for it is not HD, so I'd like to get an HD one for the Aquos.

AACD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page