SBuger's New Dedicated Home Theater Room - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 590Likes

post #361 of 377 Old 09-28-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Yep I have tried that and thought that would be better too (sounds like it is for yours), but nope, I can still locate them too easy that way. I guess Im just easily bothered by being able to locate the side surrounds, IDK. In front AND pointing forward seems to do the trick just perfectly though, so all is good now
Since they are monopoles they are supposed to be located when called upon. Like if a fast car drives by to side of screen you hear it on that speaker. Otherwise you shouldn't be hearing it at all. I think I didn't like it pointed up front since it was probably reflecting off the screen and back to me I assume. Either way...better than 90 degree right at your ears.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 377 Old 09-28-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 398 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 4488
^^^ Well that’s just it, I don’t think I’m a fan of monopoles for side surrounds in the normal fashion, at least not in my small room (with only one set of side surrounds) where you are pretty close to them at ear level. This is why I had to take pretty drastic measures with their db levels in the mix as well as their angles. Like I said in my previous posts, it’s golden now and gave me exactly what I wanted and needed. All is good, mate

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #363 of 377 Old 09-29-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
^^^
That's what it is all about! As long as you get it to work where its not distracting is the main goal. At least its very good to experiment to see what works rather than just sticking with Dolby guide and call it quits.
SBuger likes this.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 377 Old 11-13-2019, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2032 Post(s)
Liked: 917
@SBuger

Not sure if you've already mentioned this, but where is your seating located in the room (i.e. middle of the room, etc.)? I've read that small square rooms are pretty "bad" for bass as they cause nulls and whatnot. How is your frequency response at the main listening position for your subwoofers?
post #365 of 377 Old 11-14-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
@SBuger

Not sure if you've already mentioned this, but where is your seating located in the room (i.e. middle of the room, etc.)? I've read that small square rooms are pretty "bad" for bass as they cause nulls and whatnot. How is your frequency response at the main listening position for your subwoofers?
Hey Kain!

My room is 13x13x8, so basically square with the ceiling being shorter. My seating is probably about ¾ into the room I would say. So, closet to the back wall.

Yep, definitely NOT the best for a good FR, at least for ‘one’ sub location. For a nice FR, without over boosting with PEQ, I need multiple locations. At least two, but use 3 including the VNF subs behind the seats (Front wall, side walls and right behind the seating for VNF (which is just mainly for ‘feel’). The MLP has some pretty bad peaks and nulls with all locations for the subs, so I mainly try to cut the peaks and fill in the nulls with other sub locations. This seems to work well.

The side wall subs towards the rear of the room seem to give the best overall FR on their own out of all the locations, with the 35hz area suffering the most with a dip. I can get a pretty good FR from just those locations alone, but feel I have to boost the 30-40hz area too much. So, I use the front sub to help fill in this area and does a better job from all three seats in this area as well.

Then, the VNFs suffer a big dip in the 60-75hz area (35hz area too) as well but is filled in nicely from the side wall subs. So, all together with multiple sub locations is pretty much a must for to get a nice FR across the board in this room without having to use too much PEQ.

It’s a pretty tough room for sure but have been able to make it work.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #366 of 377 Old 12-04-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Your room looks great!

How far away are you from the screen? I am about 10' away from a 110" and it's right on the cusp of being too big! My wife couldn't even watch it for about 2 months then she finally gave in. I have to admit though, it's quite wonderful now that I am use to it.
SBuger likes this.

My Media Room
AVR 1-Yamaha RX-A3050 (7.2.4), AVR 2 Pioneer VSX-815-K(Used for 4ch Amp TF+TR)
Mains-Polk Audio RTi8, Center-Polk Audio CSi5, Surrounds-Polk Audio RTi4, Ceilings-Micca M-8C, Sub 1- UM18-22 (4cu.ft DIY) - iNuke 6000DSP, Sub 2-Klipsch RW12D
Projector-BenQ 3550 4K, Screen-110" Silver Ticket STR-169110, TV-Vizio P-65 4K
post #367 of 377 Old 12-04-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontalley View Post
Your room looks great!

How far away are you from the screen? I am about 10' away from a 110" and it's right on the cusp of being too big! My wife couldn't even watch it for about 2 months then she finally gave in. I have to admit though, it's quite wonderful now that I am use to it.
Thank you!! Looks like you’ve got a real nice setup there as well and a good viewing distance to your 110”. I think that probably feels about right to a lot of folks and close to what is recommended. Some folks are a LOT more sensitive to size and distance than others for sure!!! I started about where you’re at now (110” at ~10’ away) in my previous house. Then just got bigger and closer as time went on. You do get used to it, and then start wanting bigger and or closer. Well I did any way. If your wife is that sensitive to it though, she may not ever.

My wife gets motion sickness pretty easy, but surprisingly she thinks as close as we are now to the 120”, it doesn’t bother her (on like 95% of movies anyway) and thinks it feels about right. And we are CLOSE … LOL. It does make my 8 year old daughter a bit dizzy feeling afterwords sometimes though.

Somebody asked me the same question in the ‘Bass for Movies Thread’ about 3 weeks ago, so I’ll just quote what I said about it over there. This should give a good idea and some answers hopefully Thanks again for the good words and stopping by!!

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words man!!

Well, I set pretty darn close to my screen. Partially because I’m forced to in this small room (I could move back some though) and partially because the screen I have is only 120” 16:9 and I want that huge immersive feel. I used to sit a little under 10ft (3m) like you’re thinking when I had my setup down in the living with this same screen and really liked it. That’s probably about right and comfortable for most folks and would be recommended. I think you’ll love it!!

In this new room of mine which is pretty small (1400 cuft), I started at about 7.5’ eyes to screen and loved it for that really big immersive feel. Since then over the course of a couple years, I’ve continued to inch my seating forward little by little wanting MOAR LOL, as I think we just get used to things after a while. I’m now at about 6.5’ eyes to 120” 16:9 screen. Yes, it’s SO breaking the “rules” for recommended viewing distance, but man I love it. We like what we like right!? …recommend or not LOL. In 16:9 format its crazy immersive and just what I want. Surprisingly, still super sharp too even with e-shift 4K PJ. So, that just seems perfect to me with 16:9 material. But, for the majority of movie material in scope mode, I could still stand it to be bigger and more immersive.

I was just saying the other day that I’m seriously considering building a bigger screen in scope mode, since I don’t really want to move my seating any closer to the screen but want the scope movies to feel as big as the 16:9 movies and other content does. So, about the same height as 16:9, which is 58” but wider on the sides, making it that much more immersive for scope content.

I’ve been messing around with the zoom with a lot of 2:35 content and feel that about 54” high feels just about perfect. Of course, the sides get cut off, but still gives height, sharpness and immersive feel of what it will be like not including the extra width on the sides, which I think will help a ton with as well for immersion. So, I’m thinking a 54” x 140” scope 2:35 should be just about what I want with 6.5’ eyes to the screen. Should be pretty crazy hahahaha If I end up not liking it and is too much (nah I don’t think so), I can always go back to what I have now.

I know, even what I have now at 6.5” eyes to screen may sound like your setting in the front row at a commercial movie theater. But no, it’s just super immersive and not overwhelming. I HATE that feel of being in the first 10-20 rows or so at the movie theater. Its just WAY to overpowering and unbearable IMO. Some do like it though I guess, as this can be a very subjective thing. For reference, I find about 1/3 of the way back (maybe a hair farther) at most commercial movie theaters to be about right for my tastes. The distance that I’m at now feels about like that I think, except more personal and detailed if that makes sense. I do LOVE it

I would say, if you can, project the image on a wall at the distance your seating is going to be at, then adjust the size to what feels comfortable on a good variety of the better movies to help you make a size choice. Preferences can vary a lot I think from person to person, so finding what you like is key IMO. Just keep in mind that we do seem to acclimate pretty quiclly to a size and you may find yourself wanting more eventually. At least that’s the way it’s worked for me. But I admit, I do have a weird kind of sickness when it comes to all this Home Theater stuff LOL

When it comes to HT, I do love IMMERSIVE Video, Surround and most importantly, Bass and TR
rontalley likes this.

Last edited by SBuger; 12-04-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #368 of 377 Old 12-04-2019, 07:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 836
Quote:
From the middle MLP seat, the side surrounds are 5.5’ and 3’ to the seat son each side. The rear surrounds are about 3.5’ from the MLP.

I used to have horrible hot-spotting issues on my side surrounds with the direct radiating KEFs that I have and took me a fair amount of messing with them to get it worked out. The rear surrounds, not really hot-spotting, just getting them in the right position to be most effective needed some work with quite a bit of experimenting too.

For the side surrounds, since my room is so small and having the direct radiating bookshelf speakers, there were two main things that I had to do to fix the problem. Well, for starters, I have to have them forward/in front of me a bit, so they clear the heads and don’t get blocked if other people are in the seats. So not 90 degrees, which helps a little as well I think. But the two main things are levels in the mix and direction. The tweets are pointing forward at about a 45-degree angle, which is quite a bit, but this helps tremendously for non-localization while still giving a great sound. Then I also run them 7db lower than what Audyseey sets them at. I would think this would be WAY to low in the mix, but somehow sounds just perfect to my ears. Hotspotting and localization for the side surrounds is totally solved in this small room. At least in the MLP and is still pretty darn good in the side seats too. I had to watch a movie in the side seat the other day because my daughter wanted the middle MLP seat when we were watching Aladdin (I was a good dad and gave up the MLP LOL). To my surprise, I don’t think I localized a speaker once during the whole movie (which had a fantastically mixed soundtrack IMO), which made me very happy. Was still real enveloping too, which I thought was way cool. Not as great as the MLP being dead center of course, which you just can’t beat for imaging, but still really good.

So, for the rear surrounds, it mainly just took me some time to get them were they needed to be to give the best enveloping and realistic effect. These are about 3.5' from my ears with each pointed directly at me. They are not directly behind me, but not too far off to the sides either. Kind of a happy medium, but probably more behind me than far apart. It seems to be just enough and in the right position, that they still image really good, which is awesome and what I was wanting for the MLP. I’ve been amazed at the rear surround field lately with movies, which seems to make such a huge difference!

The side surrounds and the rear surrounds (all the speakers actually after quite a bit of work with toe in and whatnot) seem to all work together pretty darn seamlessly now without drawing attention to themselves at all. Pans seem big, smooth and really immersive, while not ever noticing it actually coming from the speakers themselves, at least to my ears and what I tried so hard to achieve. It could possibly be better yet, but I’ve been super happy with it after those changes, which took me a while to find what I was wanting. The rear surrounds may be just a touch high but wanted them to clear the seat backs since my ears are just a bit below the top. I could probably drop them a couple more inches and be fine, increasing base level to top rear distance just a bit for more spread. May not matter at all though.

I attached a few pics as well to try to show what I was talking about with the speakers in relation to the seats. Hope that helps! Maybe more info than you wanted, but there it is LOL

Front side angle to show rear surrounds and side surrounds ...

From the side to show positioning and angle. Oh yeah, I think the diffusers help too that are directly to my sides.

View from the back closet that houses the PJ and amps ...

Do you have a small room too and some hot-spotting troubles going on with your speakers? Aggressive toe in helped TREMENDOUSLY as well with my front’s speakers and top speakers for the outside seats. I couldn't believe what it did for the outside seats actually.
Just came across this post. I love the idea of trying to get a more diffuse sound from the side surrounds so I am going to try this setup and see how it goes.
SBuger likes this.
post #369 of 377 Old 12-04-2019, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Just came across this post. I love the idea of trying to get a more diffuse sound from the side surrounds so I am going to try this setup and see how it goes.
Oh yeah, I remember seeing your awesome looking theater and super cool entry a while back (shortly after the BOSS started getting popular IIRC)!!!

Cool, yeah with you having a smaller room too, angling your side surrounds a little more forward may really help your SS's sound more diffuse as well. Its the only thing that worked well for mine out of all the stuff I tried.

Let me know how it goes. You may love it too, but then again you may find you like them just the way they are now with them ahead of you a bit and pointing 90 degrees. Also, you may not need as much angle with your speakers though. I love the KEFs for movies and they image great, but can be pretty hot and direct when fired straight at me. Not good for side surrounds, at least not when they are pretty close LOL

post #370 of 377 Old 12-05-2019, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, I remember seeing your awesome looking theater and super cool entry a while back (shortly after the BOSS started getting popular IIRC)!!!

Cool, yeah with you having a smaller room too, angling your side surrounds a little more forward may really help your SS's sound more diffuse as well. Its the only thing that worked well for mine out of all the stuff I tried.

Let me know how it goes. You may love it too, but then again you may find you like them just the way they are now with them ahead of you a bit and pointing 90 degrees. Also, you may not need as much angle with your speakers though. I love the KEFs for movies and they image great, but can be pretty hot and direct when fired straight at me. Not good for side surrounds, at least not when they are pretty close LOL

I moved them a little more forward (about even with the cup holders) and tried different angles, from 45 degrees on down. Ended up with a really nice, diffused sound by pointing the speakers slightly forward, somewhere about halfway between a 90 degree and 45 degree angle. The LSiM's have pretty good dispersion so I don't feel like I'm losing anything from the MLP with this setup and at the same time I am gaining by making sure anyone sitting in the outside seats is much more comfortable, so it's an excellent solution for my room as well. Thanks for sharing your photos to give me the idea to try.
SBuger likes this.
post #371 of 377 Old 12-05-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok, here's some pictures of how I have them configured now. Moving them forward more and toeing them in less ended up being the best sounding and most comfortable across all 4 seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ss1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	2649718   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	332.3 KB
ID:	2649720   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	2649722   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss4.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	2649724   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss6.jpg
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	2649726  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss7.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	2649728   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss8.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	2649730   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss9.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	2649732  
SBuger likes this.
post #372 of 377 Old 12-05-2019, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I moved them a little more forward (about even with the cup holders) and tried different angles, from 45 degrees on down. Ended up with a really nice, diffused sound by pointing the speakers slightly forward, somewhere about halfway between a 90 degree and 45 degree angle. The LSiM's have pretty good dispersion so I don't feel like I'm losing anything from the MLP with this setup and at the same time I am gaining by making sure anyone sitting in the outside seats is much more comfortable, so it's an excellent solution for my room as well. Thanks for sharing your photos to give me the idea to try.
Quote:
Ok, here's some pictures of how I have them configured now. Moving them forward more and toeing them in less ended up being the best sounding and most comfortable across all 4 seats.
AWESOME, so glad to hear it worked well for you too!!!!! Glad to share my friend, especially if it can help someone like this.

Thanks for letting me know how it worked and the pics as well!!!! Nice job on finding that perfect sweet spot for positioning ahead of you for clearance of heads etc and angle to sound just right, experimenting is the KEY
m0j0 likes this.

post #373 of 377 Old 12-07-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@SBuger

Is using a MiniDSP or a QSC Q-SYS Core 110f to handle/calibrate multiple subwoofers difficult for someone who has never used such a device before? I am talking a complete newbie (i.e. would need step-by-step instructions to connect and set everything up).
post #374 of 377 Old 12-08-2019, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
@SBuger

Is using a MiniDSP or a QSC Q-SYS Core 110f to handle/calibrate multiple subwoofers difficult for someone who has never used such a device before? I am talking a complete newbie (i.e. would need step-by-step instructions to connect and set everything up).
I’ve never messed with the QSC Q-SYS Core before and have only used the MiniDSP with Audyssey XT 32 in my setups. If you’re a ‘complete newb’ as in never before used REW with a UMIK-1 mic (or an Omni-Mic setup) and/or don’t have any experience with the miniDSP and/or don’t have any experience with finding the best location(s) for a sub or multiple subs, then yes it could prove to be difficult (or even impossible) without learning this basics of these tools first. Even then, it can sometimes be trying in a tough room, but still attainable. If it’s a decent room, it shouldn’t be too bad once you get used to running sweeps, setting timing of each sub location etc.

All this stuff is a learning process and is a VITAL part of getting the best out of you subs and bass response in your room. If you want to do all this stuff yourself that is. When I started first started getting serious about optimizing Bass and TR in my setup , I didn’t know anything about REW (Room EQ Wizard), much less how to integrate multiple subs in different locations with the use of a MiniDSP for timing and all that. But we all have to start somewhere. So that’s what I did, I dug in and learned all I could about the three things I listed up above, mainly through LOTS of reading on this forum and then putting it all into practice. Lots of REQ sweeps and integrations later, it got a lot easier to get what I was after. All this stuff definitely has a bit of a learning curve, but not too bad once you get into it. BUT, it is SOOOO worth it if you are a true Bass and HT enthusiast that wants and/or just enjoys setting up your subs to get the best experience possible from them. These skills are invaluable and a must if you are going try to do it yourself.

I’m not trying to scare you, just saying it will take some work and time to learn what is needed if you are a ‘complete newb’ like I was when getting started. But it’s fun (I thought it was anyway) and not too bad with a little persistence to learn some new things. You might even find you really enjoy it  Plus there are lots of VERY knowledgeable people around these forums that love to help and share.

If you want to go down this road, first, (if you haven’t already), I would start with learning the REW basics (setup to your computer and running sweeps for your Frequency Response). Then about using a MiniDSP in your system and what can be done with it (like PEQ, delay, etc) Then after that start tackling multiple sub setup with the miniDSP once you have the basics down and a good understanding of these tools and what a good FR looks and sounds like, etc. Plus what Audyssey XT 32 is able to do in your system as well, if you run that.

When you get to that point, here is a link to an AWESOME guide that just “turned on the light” for me on how to integrate multiple subs in different locations with the use of a MiniDSP. Seriously a fantastic guide and example here with graphs and all that to show what he does in steps for each sub location to get the wanted combined end result, with Audyessy as the icing. Link is HERE from Mtg90

Also, mthomas47’s Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences is awesome for overall knowledge that one needs to know HERE It's a HUGE guide, but stuff every HT bass enthusiast should know IMO, at least if you’re going to do this stuff yourself.

If you’re going to do this and have a lot to learn, just try to take your time with it (not biting off more than you can chew at a time), try to have fun and not get too frustrated with it (which can happen at times). If that happens, back off a bit, take a breather, maybe ask some questions if need be and then hit it again. It’ll be worth it in the long run

Hope all this helps somewhat. Good luck on it all and happy multiple subwoofer calibrating
Kain likes this.

Last edited by SBuger; 12-08-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #375 of 377 Old 12-10-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Spoiler!
Thank you!

What if I just want to get the basic setup done myself (i.e. connect and setup everything so I am getting sound from the subwoofers) and level match the speakers and subwoofers so reference level is actually reference level? Will that be relatively easy? I'll leave the room correction/calibration stuff to a professional.
post #376 of 377 Old 12-10-2019, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well the fastest and easiest way would just be to let your AVR level match everything and calibrate it all with room setup. That should put you close to reference at 0 Master Volume at wherever the AVR sets your sub and speaker trim levels at. If you have a receiver that has a version of Audyssey (especially XT 32), it can do a pretty good job usually, but others should do pretty decent as well.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #377 of 377 Old Today, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a post to say how things are going. No big updates with new stuff or anything after the latest PJ upgrade, although I do have a few things in mind if and when I get ready to do more (will post more below on this).

For now though, I’m just thoroughly enjoying the whole setup in this little room with all the stuff I’ve done up to this point. I think I’m pretty much up to date with all things Home Theater now Rockin the new 4K PJ (well, its e-shift but I’m still in awes of it!!), got all my Atmos and other speakers setup the way I like, got the blacked out thing going on to help with total immersion, got the BIG screen (which I’ve moved even closer to get an even bigger feel (6.5’ eyes to 120” 16:9 screen when reclined), Plus Bass and TR bringing what I love etc.

So, just been enjoying a whole lot of content lately over the last several months it seems. It has brought tons of joy just getting totally lost in a lot of these movies and shows!!!

Speaking of movies, I ended up with over 25 4K movies on Black Friday that I just could not pass up with their low prices. I spent quite a bit, but saved a lot in the long run LOL

Also, besides the 4K movies, I’ve been enjoying the heck the new ATV4K (I LOVE this thing!!) for streaming shows and series off of Netflix (they’ve got a handful of pretty darn good shows), Disney+ and Apple+ which I just LOVE so far!! I’m quite amazed at just how good the quality is on Apple+ and Disney+. On the ones with real high bit rate, I couldn’t tell a diff compared to the actual 4K disc. I did a fun experiment with the UHD 4K disc of Avengers: End Game compared to the UHD 4K version streamed from Disney+ the other day. I expected to be able to tell a diff, but nope, not once level matched anyway. Even though the streamed version is still lossless, it’s getting so good on these really good quality streams on the better material, that’s its hard to tell the diff, if at all. I couldn’t on the one I compared. Floored me actually!!!

Watched one called SEE on Apple+ and loved it!!! PQ and sound (the show too) amazed me how good it was. INSANE PQ on this one!!!! Hard to believe you can get this from streaming!!! Altered Carbon on Netflix is another ….just WOW on all aspects!!! Then one called Another World on Netflix …the Atmos …JEEZ, just crazy good!!!

So there is that with the streaming, but have watched a lot of great 4K movies on disc's too that just blew me away with the quality like Men in Black: International, Aladdin, The Lion King, Spiderman: Far From Home, Hobbs & Shaw, Hellboy (2019), John Wick 3, Overlord, Alita: Battle Angle, Dark Phoenix, etc, just to name a few, the list goes on.

One in particular that me and the family enjoyed together was The Lion King (Aladdin too). It got ripped pretty hard by some in the review section, but we loved it!!! Great movie and very well done modernizing it (IMO anyway), awesome full band bass (with BEQ), awesome Atmos track, and Amazing picture I thought. In fact, I snapped a few stills on this one along the way that I meant to post but never got it done (I did post them in the movie section bass thread though). Lion King is some of the best and most immersive I’ve experienced in 4K UHD on the 16:9 screen. I felt the IMMERSION was off the charts in this one setting this close to the 120”. Still super sharp too with the e-shift, which is WAY cool. Actually this is part of the reason I moved my seats up a little closer recently , for a bigger more immersive feel while still staying super sharp.

A few pics of "The Lion King" with the iPhone7. I still don’t think these pics quite do the real image justice, especially for the immersion factor, but will give an idea. I do love me some still shots LOL ...and have really enjoyed seeing some of Craig Peer's, m0j0's and Nalleh's that they posted in their room threads lately!!!

Mufasa is insanely cool up close!!!

There were so many awesome scenes in this movie that it was hard to pic one to post lol

The close ups in this movie were insane and so engulfing, so had to post a pic of one of those as well

Highly recommended if you have a big 16:9 screen and or kids!!!

Also, I checked out Avatar in 3D (one of my all-time favorites) the other day after it was brought up in the BEQ thread (in which I probably posted too many impression of it over there, but was fun and couldn’t help it LOL). I was absolutely blown away by it and watched it multiple times actually, as well as revisited several parts for demo quite a bit!! LOL. I know that may seem obsessive (LOL yes, this is how I roll most times it seems hahahha), but I just can’t seem to get enough of this one!!!! 3D is just off the charts INSANE in that Pandora world with the Navi and is still the benchmark IMO (me and @Nalleh were talking about this in his thread just yesterday, plus the 5.1 up-mixes insanely good as well and better than a lot of native Atmos/DTS:X mixes, plus the Bass and TR are off the charts crazy good as well with BEQ. Add all this to that I just love the movie as well, it makes it probably the best overall HT experience I’ve ever had in my HT. Realism at its absolute best for mind blowing Home Cinema IMO!!!!

So, that was tons of fun, but need to move on to all the other movies I got lined up to watch and should keep me busy for months LOL

So, as far as adding new stuff and changing anything, like I was saying above up top, I’m just thoroughly enjoying it the way it is now. My Bass and TR are giving me what I love and crave in spades these days, so I’ve opted not to mess with it anymore ATM, even though I love to experiment and try to continue to push the boundaries with it. I do have about 5-6 more things I want to experiment with on the TR front at some point though, if and when I get bored or feel like I still need “MOAR” LOL. I did pick up another BK amp the other day in case I want to add more TR devices, etc They don’t seem to make the BK amps anymore, and I love them, so I snagged it in the classifieds section a couple weeks ago!! Oh yeah, had to pick up another iNUKE 6000dsp amp as well since one of my nu6000dsps amps was trying to go out on me. I got the NX version this time. They look SO much nicer. I’d post a pic of it another and stuff too, but can’t really get to my PC right now that they are all on. That thing is running terrible!!! I need to reinstall windows on it, but just haven’t wanted to mess with it yet.

Also, I’m strongly considering building a DIY scope screen to replace my 120” 16:9 or have two screens since my current is drop down. Use that one for 16:9 content (because I think it’s perfect and SO IMMERSIVE as close as I sit to it), but then the new one in scope at about 54” x 140”. It’ll be about 4” shorter on the height compared to the 120” 16:9, but WAY wider for a LOT more immersion on these scope movies. Not sure when I’ll do this, but it WILL happen, sooner or later hahahaha

Oh yeah, I started a TR thread over in the Bass section of the forum HERE not too long ago as well that’s been a lot of fun, since I’m so into that part of HT and is what thrills me the most Started a Time Stamp section within that thread as well for some great demo clips (post # 2). So far all have been with BEQ, since it just makes such a night and day difference on most ALL tracks, no matter how good they may be to begin with. TOTAL GAME changer and has made nearly every movie full band just like The Incredible Hulk. IMO, if you’re a HT and Bass and TR lover for movies, it’s the best thing that’s ever came along!!!!! It has me spoiled rotten and I could NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go back to before without it If any of you guys happen to read this and you fit into the category I just mentioned, plus have a system capable of ULF in the Bass and TR department, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BEQ!!!

Ok guys, that’s about it for now. I’ll update when any of that stuff I just mentioned on the experiments or upgrades happens

HAPPY HOLIDAYS and HT’ing ALL!!! (and safe travels for those of us taking trips this time of year!!!).
Nalleh likes this.

Last edited by SBuger; Today at 12:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page