SBuger's New Dedicated Home Theater Room - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 635Likes

post #391 of 410 Old 12-23-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 2161
Great room with great TR @SBuger . I bet that train coming in is just amazing in your set up. I remember that the first time, and that scene shook the room. Would love to demo some bass monster flicks in your theater...
SBuger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 410 Old 12-23-2019, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 487 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 5354
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Great room with great TR @SBuger . I bet that train coming in is just amazing in your set up. I remember that the first time, and that scene shook the room. Would love to demo some bass monster flicks in your theater...
Hey thanks for the super nice words my friend!!! Yeah that train coming in at the start of the movie has been one of my long-time favorites and has always been a great demo scene, even before BEQ came along. That scene really is a fantastic scene for bass and TR on so many levels. It starts easy and then just builds and builds in intensity. The wife said it was like some crazy earthquake along with the phrase “Good God!!” LOL. There were a lot of scenes that made her say ‘Good God!!’ from the insane TR in this movie . I got a kick out of it, because that’s how I was feeling about it too, but she usually tries not to say anything about it …1, because she doesn’t always just love a ton of Slam and TR and doesn’t want to rain on my parade, and 2, she knows it’ll probably just fuel me into trying to get more of it if she says something like "that was awesome" LOL . Plus, I opened it up a little more this time than I usually do when she's watching with me. She did say she thought it was awesome and felt so real afterwards, which was cool. The TR was pretty hardcore in quite a few areas and I thought it may have been a little too much for her at times, but it seems she was cool with it ...this time anyway It shocked her pretty good though hahaha. Hell it shocked and and kind of scared me on some of those scenes LOL Pretty exhilarating stuff, I live for this kind of TR

Well, your welcome anytime, but I’m willing to bet its more similar than different with all the TR and Killer PJ you got going on with your setup!!
Nalleh likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Sealed Subs | MEGA HoverBOSS w/6x JBL-12s + 3x 18s | BossBack w/ 1x JBL-12 + 1x BK LFE | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #393 of 410 Old 12-24-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks @SBuger , and merry Christmas.
SBuger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 410 Old 02-19-2020, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update Time: TR ya'll!! ... huh, what ….more TR!!??

Hey guys, I guess it’s time for a bit of an update. I said I’d update if I changed anything with the TR gear, so I guess I’m a little behind here and been posting most it over in the TR thread, which has just been going bonkers lately.

I've been running my Subwoofer Riser just set on the ground instead of open baffle on isolators like the original BOSS and preferred it like this for different reasons. Primarily it gave me a lot more low end TR and I enjoyed the extra fullness from SPL it brought from under me. This combined with all my other gear of BK LFE’s, Crowson MA’s and VNF 18’s parked behind my seats gave me tons of TR joy for quite a while now.

But with the new HoverBOSS where tubes are placed around the drivers sealing them, I had to try it and makes a tremendous difference in low end TR compared to the open baffle BOSS. It kind of works like an air pump I guess you can say like Nalleh said in his thread about it.

So, I got this implemented, as well as another new TR addition for chest punch, the BossBack. I tried it in Open Baffle mode, as well as a sealed version of it on my seatback. Me likey ..A LOT!!! This thing is wicked!!!

Also, I moved my BK LFE’s back to cant-levered mount back behind my seats (behind the armrests). And mounted farther out this time. JEEZ what a difference this made too!!! These things are Lethal feeling!!!!

So, on with some pics of each …

First up, the HoverBOSS

I kind of lucked out and didn’t have to build another platform to implement there HB. I just flpped the riser that I had been using as a “Subwoofer Riser” and put another piece of plywood with holes cut out in it for the chair to sit on and the MAs to press against under the seat feet. Actually this allowed for me to try it without flipping the platform over too, with the tubes sealing the holes cuts in this new piece of plywood.

This is how I tried it first with the drivers facing up and tubes below.

First pic is with no drivers in it:

But before I get too far, here it what it looked like from the bottom section where the tubes will seal it to the floor when flipped back over:

And back to what it used to look like, but with the tubes under neath sealing the holes:

Impressions: Was awesome, especially in the single digits, but this first time around felt a little soft in comparison to what I was used to. Adding more tubes as isolators really helped.

So, on to the “normal” way of HoverBOSS:

Ready for seats:

First MLP seat loaded on:

Impressions: Long story short after some tweaks with air pressure in the tubes etc, this thing is AMAZING, especially for single digit TR. It’s unmatched in the singles compared to anything Ive tried before.

Next up, the BossBack

It’s basically a driver mounted to the back of your setback. Some of the guys in the TR thread cut holes in the backs of their seats for the driver to fire into, but I wanted to try it without cutting a hole first just to see if I liked it or not. So, with the building of a little backpack like platform, I mounted the driver to it (JBL 12”) to the platform + spacers to keep the driver cone from touching the seatback. Then strapped it to my seat with ratchet straps. Worked like a charm!!! LOL

So, I tried it in two different versions. Open Baffle and Sealed as well.

Pics and impressions of both …

My HT seats are leather and the backs are curved, which made it a bit of a pain, but figured something out that wasn't too bad. Seemed to work great. I just used some scrap pieces and cut out the curve contour with the jig saw. Would have been way faster if I didn't have to mess with that, but gotta do what you gotta do LOL

So, nothing super duper fancy here, but got done what I needed I think without having to use any screws or cut any holes so far. The straps worked great for a test and can just stay like that I think if I decide I don't want to mess with putting screws into the back of my seats. I used the same ones from Amazon that m0j0 used to strap down his seats with. They work great!!

So, on with some pics ...

The material:

Bottom. See the contour of the spacers I had to use to keep the driver/cone from touching the seatback:

Outer:

Ready to be strapped down or screwed into the seatback:

Another View:

That straps I used. Nice little black straps that are easy to work with:

And with it strapped down to the seat back. I used wash rags to keep from marring the driver this first time around for test in case I didn't like it and wanted to take the driver back (I had to go buy one). I used 2 straps that got it really snug:

And a could shots with it mounted to the seat and reclined in the HT room:

And one more angle from the side: My VNF behind the seat is still in there, but had to drop it down to the floor so the JBL driver magnet would clear:

---------------

Impressions:

This thing is freaking awesome!!!! It delivers some wicked TR to the chest cavity!!! This thing hits like a sledgehammer and compliments the HoverBOSS (and other TR gear in my setup) VERY well.

Is it miles better than with my VNFs setting up higher closer to my back?. Yes and no. Because of no SPL, my VNF feel and sound fuller and create some pressure, whereas the no SPL BOSSback doesn't. BUT, what it does do, is creates more mechanical vibrations that beat the VNF sub. Everything, and I mean every little detail can be felt, especially from about 30hz up. And it's so good that it will seriously fool you into thinking you are getting thumped hard by huge midbass SPL. It hits super hard and can even kind of cause pain to the chest if really pushed (a good pain that is ).

Even though it's hitting me super hard, it still lacks the "internal pressure" that can be felt within the chest cavity that the little 1200d MBM use to give me in my last setup where it was so lethal feeling that it would make my chest ache sometimes for quite a while after a demo session. But, it does have more TR/shake/vibration if that makes sense.

Now, I needed to try it sealed as well and see/feel/hear what the differences were, hopefully bringing more of that "internal chest cavity pressure" and hopefully not hurt the ears. If not, it's still awesome though!!!

Next up, the Sealed Version of BossBack

I just used the same BB rig and used a 16" tube to seal it to the seat back.

Here's a few pics ...

And another with seat back attached to seat and can see the tube in there. I don't watch with the head rest tilted forward like this, I just pushed it all the way forward because I wanted to see what kind of material was under there. I probably should have never got them since I prefer it all the way back. I do love the seats though. If I unzip the that cover, it's just leather with no wood backing.

Impressions:

OH HELL YEAH ...now we are talking!!!!!!!!

Big diff for me, more natural and fuller feeling, with pressure in the chest cavity. Compared to the open baffle version.

WOW!!!!!!!! I'm thrilled with this and is what I've been chasing ever since I had my 1200d behind me in my last setup down stairs parked right behind me chest high on top of my sealed 18.

I had about 15-20 minutes to demo when I first tried it out so I queued up some of the same stuff I played with the open baffle version to compare. I used the club scene starting at about 20:00 in the 3rd episode of Dracula on Netflix. (This movie has killer midbass in this section and ULF wobble throughout all episodes with BEQ!!!). Then ended with Iron Man 4K (BEQ’d of course). Dracula was at -15mv and Iron Man was at -20mv.

I tell you what, this freaking thing pounds in sealed mode and will pressurize your chest. So, NOT just TR shake and vibration like in open baffle mode. At least it effected me like this anyway and was very reminiscent of back in my best MB chest crushing sessions with the 1200d positioned the way I had it in my last setup where my chest would ache for quite a while afterwards from the beating and pressure within on short demo sessions. I probably listened to those beats for too long without stopping, then ran my favorite Iron Man scene as well a few times, which I think put the finishing brutality on my chest cavity LOL My chest ached afterwards for a while like it used to in my last setup that just crushed midbass chest slam with the ported MBM behind me chest high. YAY, I GOT IT BACK!!!!! Plus it's more detailed too with it actually being attached to the seat back.

Ok, so on to the next, BK LFE’s mounted canti-levered farther behind the armrests

You can see them mounted to the seat.

Another angle from above:

Made a pretty big diff in TR feel from the BK LFE's mounted a little farther out canti-levered than what they were and especially a huge diff from them being under the seats!!! These things can be terrifyingly scary feeling!!! I LOVE these BK LFE’s in the mix!!!!!!! They are just so brutal in their wheelhouse of power in that 8-10hz to 30hz range, especially mounted like this and nothing can match them in this area that I have found so far in my setup.

------------

Ending thoughts on it all
So, all combined together, dang ya’ll, I’m beyond thrilled with it right now and is giving me the kind of TR I've always dreamed of for these movies at my lower MV listening levels. And I thought it was pretty crazy before LOL

HoverBOSS is Killer!! So is the new BossBack and the BK LFE’s mounted directly to the seats canti-levered out a little farther behind!!!! But as good as the HoverBOSS is, I have to admit that the Subwoofer Riser I was using could hang (better actually in some areas), but no way could it beat it in the singles. Overall they just feel a little different, probably because the HB is floated vs un-floated. BOTH (actually all 3 versions) are killer with all the other TR gear running in the mix with it though.

So, the question is, am I totally satisfied yet?? Are we ever here at AVS!!?? Hahahaha. I think the only thing that could maybe be brought up even more to match the extreme intensity of everything else above the singles digits, is yes maybe more single digit TR. But that is just being very very picky and is pretty crazy with just the 6 JBLs HB under the seats. I’ve been spitballing a little bit with the TR king himself (Nalleh) and may possibly try a few other versions of HB, including adding my 3x SI DS4-18’s as canti-levered HoverBOSS in addition to the 6 JBL 12’s underneath the seating. Not sure if I will try to tackle this and see what it could bring to the single digit HB party or not. I’m sure it would KILL though!!! Always something new to try in this crazy HT world, especially in the TR department it seems!!! LOL

Anyways, there it is guys, all the latest
m0j0, darrellh44, Nalleh and 2 others like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Sealed Subs | MEGA HoverBOSS w/6x JBL-12s + 3x 18s | BossBack w/ 1x JBL-12 + 1x BK LFE | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 02-19-2020 at 09:44 PM.
post #395 of 410 Old 02-20-2020, 04:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 437 Post(s)
Quoted: 3049 Post(s)
Liked: 4410
^^Wicked update, Shelby

I was just going to ask when you were going to update in here

Your setup is just off the charts cool, love it, and i can imagine it will pound you silly, LOL!

Great job, my TR brother
m0j0 and SBuger like this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #396 of 410 Old 02-20-2020, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Amazing update @SBuger! You have me looking at BK LFE's again. I have two ends to my sectional that I can't put a JBL underneath. The back addition is SWEET! but the wife would never go with that. You have my wheels spinning Sir!
SBuger likes this.
post #397 of 410 Old 02-20-2020, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Wow, awesome update!! Thanks for the detailed description of how everything is set up and the individual contribution from each. What is the dimensions of mounting plate for the Buttkicker? It extends out pretty far from the back of the couch like a mini diving board...sounds like a good thing for sure😎.
SBuger likes this.
post #398 of 410 Old 02-20-2020, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey thanks a lot you guys!!!

@Nalleh - Yeah I kind of fell back into the rut of waiting to update until it’s a big one huh instead of a little bit a long the way

@lizrussspike - The BKs can be crazy good, they just have to be integrated well I think. Even though I love them and have for a long time, there was a time not too long ago that I had them out of my system for a while because I couldn’t get them in the mix the way I liked. Sometimes you just gotta try again LOL.

Yeah the back addition is pretty darn cool I must say. If you do end up getting it passed with the wife, m0j0 over in the TR thread made his look pretty nice with some black spandex to help cover it up. May work well for you to if you end up with one.

@gpmbc - For the the BK mount I just picked up a piece of 5.5” x 10’ x I think 3/4” inch wood at Lowes. Then I cut it to size to fit under the 2 armrests of the seat running front to back and sticking out enough to get some length on it. Yep kind of like a little mini diving board!! It seems to have just intensified these thing like crazy and a lot more headroom with them free air like this. I drive them pretty darn hard and haven’t really bottomed them yet that I know of.

I just unscrewed the the feet that were on my HT seats and used a bolt in the same threads to attach the plank with the BKs on it. Pretty simple but super effective.

Thanks again, guys, for stopping by and the good words!!!

post #399 of 410 Old 03-07-2020, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

*** UPDATE TIME: I got a lot of awesome new TR stuff going on lately so thought I'd better gets some updates in so I don't get too far behind. I've got two updates. Will post this one and the next in another post following. I posted all this over in the TR thread so I'll just copy and paste for a cross post for the fast and easiest since it's already typed up.

The BK + JBL BossBACK:

Ok guys, I've been wanting to try this because I had a feeling it could be beyond insane, and oh man is it ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The BKBB ya'll ....just when I thought I had some crazy ass TR intensity going on with the MAs, BK's Canti-levered, HB and BB that could'nt get much better, things just got WAY MORE INSANE feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean like ....O... M....G ...WTF TR INSANITY and SHEER BRUTALITY like I've never felt before

I ran through the Tank Battle scene in FURY like I've been doing the last couple of days and I mean to tell you what. I've never in my life felt anything this mind blowingly terrorizing and real feeling in my entire life or 4-5 years of TR'ing. I've never been this realistically terrorized by TR before.

It felt like I was actually getting shot (I've never really been shot so can't say for sure, but...) with every cannon blast and gun shot!!!!! And the recoil ....WTF are you kidding me!!!???? Then the engines of the tanks etc felt like it's going to hurt something within my body in addition to all the gunfire and cannon blasts. Seriously, like the best GOOD HURT I've ever experienced from my rig for movie bass TR. Words do not even do this justice, but all of this just feels like it I'm getting pounded by the most awesome, brutal bass in the world that is just absolutely shocking my whole body (not just the chest area) to the core. Talk about adrenaline spike and flight or flight. I played it though at -20mv and then at -15mv. Both were just BEYOND INSANE. Afterwards I felt like I had just been through the ringer and was worn out and frazzled!!!! hahahahha Holy Freaking Hell x 100!!!!!! :0 Now this is the kind of intisity that I've been looking for all these 4-5 years of chasing TR. I thought I had it recently with adding the BB and yes it was insane and took it to a whole other lever of craziness and awesome, but this easily more than doubled it ..probably even tripled or quadrupled, or more. Just complete insanity I tell you LOL

Also checked out some of the Dracula club scene in chapter 3 at 20:00 that I love for that music beat. Felt like the music was punching a hole in my chest with that insane good hurt, like way harder than ever before. Plus also checked out a few scenes that have serious ULF. It added here as well and brings it up higher to balance super nice with the underneath from the HB and other TR devices. Also, I just ran the BK totally flat in the mix for now with no LPF, LS's or NHS's, all the way up to crossover point.

-----------

So here it is. Not fancy at all but gets the job done. I'll attach a few pics. No tube this time either, just JBL driver and BK

A shot with BKBB attached before reclined. You can see the other BK's mounted down below Canti-Levered:

Close up attached to seat (still using the straps ATM):

Then reclined:

Another angle:

And then with the VNF pushed up into place as close as I could get it. But will soon be converted to Canti-Levered HB duty:

OH NO'z ....started on cutting the holes in a piece of plywood for the 3x 18's for HoverBOSS Canti-Lever

^^^ Probably won't get a chance to finish it up until first part of this next week, but picked up my tubes and the extra wood I needed.

Anyway guys ....the BK in addition to the JBL for BB .....GOOD GOD fella's!!!!! This thing is no joke at all and takes it to a whole new level of TR insanity and then some. Try it if you guys think you can handle or want even more of that awesome violence and realism in all areas LOL

EDIT: Oh yeah, I meant to say that I'm using the other channel of the iNuke6000DSP for the BK LFE with no limiter (so about 1200watts) . The JBL is on the other channel with it limited to about 250w
Nalleh, subacabra and MinHeadroom like this.

post #400 of 410 Old 03-07-2020, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

***Second part of the UPDATE

A sneak peek of the MEGA HB in the works . Still needs the drivers screwed down and more bracing to join the two HB’s together, plus maybe a top piece for the CLHB portion to match the front to look more complete, plus help brace it more. Probably will be into next week before I get a chance to finish it up, but has been a blast working on it so far!!!

Got the SI DS4-18 drivers pulled from the VNF cabs. These things are pretty big and heavy at around 50lbs a piece:

Got the 20” normal BELL tubes double sided taped to help seal them to the platform:

Platform built for the CLHB”

A bit more progress with drivers set in but not screwed down yet:

Another angle:

And a look underneath the CLHB with tape and painters plastic to help seal:

Damn, those 18's are beasts compared to the JBL 12's. I can't wait to see what they bring to the TR party
Nalleh and MinHeadroom like this.

post #401 of 410 Old 03-07-2020, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Friggin’ hell !!!
SBuger likes this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 4xSI18" - 12x12" w/6xSLAPS M12 VNF - 4x12"HB+2x18"CLHB - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Samsung QE82Q60.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #402 of 410 Old 03-07-2020, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Can you even see the screen clearly as you're being jolted around by the TR with all of that in place? My word.

And just to be clear, you screwed JBLs and BKs to the back of your seats? I don't think I could do that to my recliners with what I paid for them. But yeah, I'm sure that does the trick!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
SBuger likes this.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
post #403 of 410 Old 03-07-2020, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
Can you even see the screen clearly as you're being jolted around by the TR with all of that in place? My word.

And just to be clear, you screwed JBLs and BKs to the back of your seats? I don't think I could do that to my recliners with what I paid for them. But yeah, I'm sure that does the trick!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
LOL ..surprisingly yes, but it can get pretty crazy for sure

For the JBL and BK on the seatback, nothing is screwed in, yet. I may end up doing that, or may not. For now, I’m just using a couple ratchet straps to tightly secure the little mini platform (that the JBL and BK is bolted to) to the seatback. Works like a charm so far.

Here's a couple pics that shows it pretty good (These were taken before I put the BK on the there, but is the same little platform for the seat back). Scroll up 4 to 5 posts and you can see more pics of the platform build if you didn't see that.

I wanted to test it first without having to cut or screw into the seating, because I paid quite a bit for mine too and was a bit concerned about messing them up if I didn't like it. The straps actually worked way better than I thought they would LOL.

I’ll never be without one of these on my seatback ever again with the insane difference it makes, no matter what it takes to attach it

Highly Recommended!!!

post #404 of 410 Old 03-07-2020, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thinking about it, i wonder if the strap itself helps adds feeling to your back ! Look at it like a guitar string, only a BIG ULF string getting plucked RIGHT behind your back. On my BB, if i reach my hand behind and touch the board it is mounted on while playing content, the whole thing vibrates, and on yours all that vibration gets transfered onto the strap going around your seatback, helping get those vibrations reeeeally close to your back.
SBuger likes this.

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<

Last edited by Nalleh; 03-07-2020 at 11:44 PM.
post #405 of 410 Old 03-08-2020, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ I never really thought about it like that, but makes sense and sure could be helping in that way.
Nalleh likes this.

post #406 of 410 Old 03-11-2020, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

UPDATE: **Crosspost with TR thread HERE. I just basically copied and pasted since it was already written up.

The MEGA HoverBOSS

Got this bad boy going!!!!!!! I got to check it out pretty good today. Will show some pics first, some settings, some objective measurements (FR and VS), then of course the subjective with IMPRESSIONS

I took quite a few pics, so hope you don't mind that I posted most of them. I don't know about you guys, but I always love seeing pics when folks post and talk about stuff for a visual.

So, I just picked up with where I left off the other day with the last update. I also put a top on the CLHB part to match the front HB. I think it made it look nicer, plus gives a nice full platform for support. It worked out nice too, because I ended up liking the back of my seating closer to the 18's vs farther out and the plywood top like the front part worked great for this (you'll see in the pics where I moved the seating closer to the 18's CL).

A few different views with no seating to get a good look at it. The thing is pretty darn rigid, which is a good thing for BOSS or HoverBOSS:

And on goes the MLP seat:

And a few shots of the insanity from the back. I love the look of ALL THAT TR HORSE POWER!!!

Then ended up liking the feel of it better with the drivers closer to the seats, so that they are almost directly under my upper torso now. They are a little farther behind than that, but still pretty close. Closer than the BK's. I preferred the feel of the 18's CL closer, while I like the feel of the BK LFE's a little farther out:

And a couple shots from behind ....ooooo ahhhh look at that TR FIREPOWER ...YEAH!!!!

-----------

Settings that I'm currently using for everything. I still need to try some of Aron's curves, but am absolutely loving these for now.

LPF for LFE: 90hz set in the AVR. Crossovers to speakers set to 90hz as well.

HB (6x JBL 12’s)
LS @ 15hz/+7db/0.8Q
LS @ 10hz/+3db/0.9Q
NHS @ 10hz/-3db/0.9Q w/ +3db level boost
NHS @ 12hz/-5db/0.9Q w/ +5db level boost
LPF @ 40hz set in BKA-1000N amp
In Phase (not inverted)

CLHB (3x SI DS4-18's)
LS @ 15hz/+7db/0.8Q
LS @ 10hz/+3db/0.9Q
LPF is just crossover set to 90hz in AVR (same as other subs)
In Phase (not inverted)

BossBack (1x JBL 12 + 1x BK LFE)
--JBL 12
In Phase (not inverted)
--BK LFE
In Phase (not inverted)

BK LFE’s (2x - seat mounted Canti-Levered behind MLP seat armrests)
LS @ 15hz/+7db/0.8Q
LPF @ 60hz set in BKA-1000N amp
In Phase (not inverted)

Crowson MA’s (6x - 2 per seat)
LS @ 10hz/+3db/0.9Q
LS @ 15hz/+7db/0.8Q
NHS @ 30hz/-12db/0.9Q
LPF @ 50hz set in BKA-1000N amp
In Phase (not inverted)

Plus and extra 6db LS @ 12hz Q0.9 not shown here (I've been putting it in the BEQ's, so all devices get it for now).
------------

OK with all that, now for some measurements of SPL and TR. I get a LOT of SPL way into the singles from both the HB and the CLHB in my room. They combine pretty darn good too, along with the BB which isn't near as high of SPL until about 55hz and over. In fact, the CLHB, HB and BB combined makes up pretty much most of my FR, with the two side subs on the side walls and the one at the front only contributing a little bit (not shown here). Not sure why the SPL on the left showed in 10db increments instead of 5 when I saved it, oh well. It could probably look better for a perfect FR, but damn, it just sounds so good as is and don't really want to PEQ any of it other than lifts on the bottom end with LS's etc.

So next, since I had REW up and running for the FR sweep, I just went ahead and ran the TR measurements as well with VS. I don't normally use the sweeps and have always liked the white noise better, but thought I'd run these and show'm for something different. I was going to run the White Noise as well, but ran out of time. I may or may not mess with it now though, IDK.

Ok, so for all the TR (VS with the iPhone 7) measurements, I used three different locations on the seating to try to see what's going on better for each, for a better overall visual, as I now have TR coming at me from everywhere So, from left to right is as follows: LEFT: mid seat cushion, MIDDLE: Back of seat cushion involving the lower seatback, RIGHT: Seatback only about chest high (phone fits nicely in that crevice almost flat).

All measurements done at -20mv and reclined with all TR devices active. Also, I forgot that I usually have 6db more LS at 12hz than what is shown here on the REW sweeps, as I have been putting in in the BEQ's for now, but need to change that. I'm also not showing that in the settings I listed up above either.

Sweep 1hz and up with REW:

And now one from Iron Man where he fly's over to kick some butt. This one I did have the 6db extra LS at 12hz that I've been using lately. I took this reading where he breaks the sound barrier. Dayum ...look at those singles digits hitting up a little above 1e+00!! LOL and we just thought VS was broke under 10hz in the past when we wouldn't get much or anything from it. There is nothing wrong with it, we just needed to get more singles digit power to match up to the 10hz and over!!!!! hahahaha

So, not too shabby at all me thinks as far as VS's go at -20mv. With the 3 different pics lined up in the pics I think this may give a little better idea of what's going on in the seat at different locations and may somewhat give a visual as to what it might feel like as a whole (at least intensity wise at all frequencies) when all combined when reclined. But, that said, TR measurements can never truly show what it actually feels like, but are good for the objective and to show what's happening across the board.

-----------

So with that said and out of the way, and most importantly, how does it FEEL!!!???

Basically ......OMG are you freaking kidding me!!!!!!!!! HOLY HELL, YA'LL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words and phrases that come to mind: Insane, Violent, Visceral, Terrifying, Absurd, Enormous, Engulfing, Power House, Explosive, Dynamic, Super Potent, Super Realistic, Heart Race Inducing, Fight or Flight Inducing, Panic Inducing at times, Exhilarating, Euphoric, Refined and Detailed, and of course just flat out Mind Boggling!!!! The list could go on I guess, but all I can think of for now LOL

It took what I was thrilled with before with HB and all other TR devices and made it even better, making it all feel more complete and just that much more powerful and engulfing in every way.

I'm shocked at what this thing can do across the TR board. From the mid bass chest assault, to the LF and into the single digit ULF depths, all with amazing detail and precision. From flat out brutalize and scare the crap out of you to super subtle and everything in between. -20mv is insane, but -15mv and upwards is pretty gosh darn absurd, but I LOVE it and pretty much meets my wildest TR dreams for the bass in these movie sound tracks, which BEQ brings full band.

I checked out some of my favorites today that I'm so familiar with, including FURY Tank Battle Scene, the new Terminator Dark Fate and Iron Man. The singles are just ABSOLUTELY CRAZY!!!!! Take Fury for example, the Recoil from those Tank Blasts, JEEEEEEEEEEZ, it feels like its sucking me down to the ground and then blasting me back up to the ceiling. Or like my seat is trying to buck or throw me out of it with its insane explosive movement. Just friggin crazy I tell ya!!!!! I dint take any VS's of these recoil scenes (there are tons of them), but it wouldn't surprise me if some of them weren't hitting up around 1e+01 in the single digits, even at -20mv. It's is just complete INSANITY the power of the mega HB rig down super low!!!! These explosive single digit transients can be pretty darn terrifying. It crazy too that it seems like it can just keep on bringing it.

So there is that with FURY. Terminator Dark Fate is completely insane too, as is Iron Man.

But last night, I was watching some more episodes of "The Witcher" on Netflix. I was totally blown away by just how realistic is feels and sounds overall. And the singles in this are just killer too and makes this show what it is IMO. If for no other reason, this series needs to be watches for the ULF action!!! This and Dracula!!!

Another thing that I'm loving with it as well, is the SPL from the HB, CLHB (and BB somewhat I guess). The sound, fullness, weight and even pressure I'm getting from it is pretty awesome. Like even in the singles for weight and pressure. I really don't even need my other subs, but I still have them contribute a little which helps some overall.

So, I think it's safe to say that I'm over the moon elated with the TR rig now.

Ok, I'll stop gushing over it now I guess LOL Is there anything I don't like about it? Well, one thing is that during some of these hardcore single digit transients (like in FURY), my outside seats are jumping on the platform when I get much above about -20mv and can create a knocking sound from the MA's banking on the wood etc. I guess I either need to reconnect my seats back together to help keep them down and/or get some damn weights (like I said I was going to do but haven't done so yet). Also some super thin felt or something may help. Also, if I put BB on the seatback of the other chairs, that'll help give them some weight too. I've got 2 more JBL's to do this, just haven't yet.

Ok guys, pretty long post, but felt like there was a lot that needed posted about it.

Last edited by SBuger; 03-15-2020 at 01:51 PM.
post #407 of 410 Old 03-11-2020, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Awesome post! Always dig your in depth descriptions and pics.
SBuger likes this.
post #408 of 410 Old 03-11-2020, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Thanks man!!

post #409 of 410 Old 03-12-2020, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Awsome work man. So much has happened in just the last few weeks, it is like a total revamp, LOL

It is so neatly packaged, it is truly a work of art, man

Your setup is my favourite one in here

(exept for my own, LOL.)
SBuger likes this.

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #410 of 410 Old 03-12-2020, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks bro!! LOL, yeah lots of changes in the last few weeks. The crazy thing is, every variant configuration of the HB and HB+CLB and same with the BB has been pretty fantastic and WAY more similar than different. I could be happy with any of them, but in the end landed on this one. With demoing a variety of great movies and series over the last couple of days, I’m finding that the HB + CLHB is having to be backed down some, as they combined so we’ll together (I didn't realize just how well) and can be a bit overpowering with the soundtrack at times. So, headroom out the wazoo I guess you could say. I had to back off each HB and CLHB down about 4db a piece to get about were I was at before adding the CLHB to the mix. It was PERFECT feeling intesity before I added it. Otherwise, it’s a bit too thick sometimes or something if that makes sense. Seems to be about right now I think.

And thanks, I guess it did kind of end up neatly packaged huh LOL. TR art …hmmm a new thing maybe haha. Everything just seemed to fit together pretty nice and easily for a clean look.

And your setup is awesome in every way and gonna be even better once all tied together with your new MEGA sleds!!! You’ll still have the VNF’s in the mix too. I’m thinking your’s will be the strongest performer of all of ours!!! You’ll still br TR King!!
Nalleh likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page