SBuger's New Dedicated Home Theater Room - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 588Likes

post #31 of 376 Old 11-30-2017, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 4460
So a bit of an update:

I'm still really liking my new room and setup, if not more so than ever now that I've spent some time with it. I'm still pretty blown away by the image that this older Epson 5030 with a Darbee is putting out with the all blacked out room (SY Triple Black Velvet), and can only imagine what one of the newer top end projectors that a lot of you guys are running would be like. Blacking out the room really made a tremendous difference on the image. At the moment (I'm sure this will change at some point), I really have no desire for an upgraded projector yet (a smoother screen at times, yes). I don't know what I'm more pleased with at the moment, the PQ and envelopment with setting so close and everything blacked out so there is no distractions OR the sound from the room treatments etc. The bass is about what I was used to in my other setup, but a little cleaner, which is cool (I did love the bass I had downstairs and worked really hard on it to get what I wanted for movie soundtracks). But the overall sound, I'm really impressed with so far. I guess the velvet is not having a bad effect on it like I thought it might, at least to my ears. Then totally deadening the front wall along with first reflection points really, really helped. It's so much cleaner, precise, and enveloping than what I was used to in my reflective untreated living room, with imaging that I didn't really know was possible in a multi speaker HT setup (I'm not talking two channel stereo for music here, this setup is 100% for movies). I don't even have Atmos yet or rear surrounds, only the standard 5.1 with side surrounds + the heights (so 7.1 I guess). I can only imagine what Atmos like a lot of you guys have would be like, because with just this, I can pretty much pinpoint where sounds are coming from a lot of times (I'm not talking about like ..oh yeah that sound is coming from this or that speaker). A lot of times I get sounds coming from the ceiling, or side of ceiling, or side wall etc and in all different areas with depth, like sometimes closer to me or farther away. Very 3D like. I think of it as imaging and its kind of freaky, but oh so cool, especially since everything is blacked out but the screen. It seems to make the sound more encapsulating (I think that's the word I'm looking for) and seem a lot more real.

Its happened to me a handful of times already on different material, but today I was watching Pacific Rim and the part where the Kaiju was coming up out of the water by that little rescue boat (2nd or 3rd chapter I think) when the siren starts going off to warn of the approaching Kaiju (or something huge), it seriously freaked me out it was so real sounding. Unlike sometimes when I can pinpoint where different sounds at varying depths and areas are at, I couldn't really pinpoint this. It was just everywhere like it was really happening in real life and not in a room from a movie soundtrack. I kind of had to snap myself out of it to realize it's coming from the movie LOL. That combined with the bass and vibrations and big TR along with the immersive video and no visual distractions, I thinks it's one of the coolest home theater experiences I ever had. There were a couple other scenes that had close to the same effect in this movie and others.

I'm hearing things that I've never heard before and lots of things that I have heard in a different and better way on movie soundtracks that I'm super familiar with and have seen several times. This is just so cool to me. I've read before that the room and treatments can be a lot more important than what speakers you have. I now believe and understand this. My KEFs are great and I love them, but I know there are better than the ones I have. It amazes me how much better they sound in this treated room and really is like the speakers themselves have totally disappeared. It's way more 3D/multi dimensional sounding and like I'm not even in a room most of the time. Its pretty fun being new to room treatments

So anyway, I'm a bit excited about it all as you can probably tell I had to tell somebody about it and remembered I've got a dedicated thread now, so why not post it here LOL. Oh yeah, I did tell one of my buddies here on AVS with a similar setup about it

I'm very happy that I was able to make the move to a dedicated room, even if it's a bit small with square dimensions. It makes getting a good FR kind of tough, but I'm managing. But it's really helped take the experience to the next level for me, which is what I was hoping for. Hopefully I continue to feel this way about it over time.
carp, biga6761 and unretarded like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 376 Old 12-01-2017, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
NICE!

I am happy to hear the room treatments made a drastic difference, I am yet to do it, but plan to.

I get what your saying about the sound though, I have a .2 Atmos set up with 2 ceiling speakers, want a .4 with 4 ceiling speakers........but even with just 2, it is freaky how real the sounds can be at times. Limbs snaping overhead such as in the new blair witch were freaky and made you want to throw a arm up to keep from getting hit by one and in some of the horror movies the doors opening closing and knocks still make me pause the movie to see if it is a really a knock and not a movie effect.

I know just the velvet helped with speaker sound as I am forced to have horrible placement due to my obsession with the biggest possible screen, the speakers are at ear height, but pressed all the way in the corners on each side of the screen firing straight down the wall.....I need to figure out how to get some angle on them towards the MLP since I do listen to a lot of music, movies it is not soo bad, but I am sure it would be better even on movies.

Dedicated rooms, even small ones are great !
SBuger and biga6761 like this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #33 of 376 Old 12-01-2017, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 349 Post(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 3716
Awsome @SBuger

Don‘t worry too much about 4K. With your blacked out room, your 1080p setup is probably as good as many untreated 4K pj rooms.

BTW: when i think about it, since your speakers are all KEF’s already, you could upgrade to Atmos real easy by finding a used set of KEF egg 5.1 speakers. Either the 3005 SE or the newer 305. And then use two for rear surrounds and two for rear height.

Done: 7.1.4

This way all your speakers would have the Uni-Q drivers and would be timber matched. I use the 3005 for all my heights, and they sound incredible for their size. (You need a new AVR too of course).

Like so:

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 376 Old 12-01-2017, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks guys!

@unretarded - I didn't realize you had some Atmos going on ...awesome!! Yeah I need to check out some of those types of movies. I still have the Conjuring 1 & 2 as well as the latest Poltergeist that I still haven't watched yet. I picked them up because a lot of folks were talking about how great the bass was in these a while back. I'm sure it'll be pretty freaky like your talking about.

@Nalleh - That's a great idea about the KEF eggs for Atmos, thanks. I was kind of planning on doing that for my heights and surrounds since I had to buy some for this new room. I used in-walls in my downstairs setup so I couldn't just bring them up with the rest of my gear. But since the q100s went on sale and are still fairly small, I ended up getting those instead.

So yeah, maybe that's what I'll do with the eggs and yes, I'll need a new AVR as well. Jeez ...its always more things that I want for this awesome and crazy hobby.

damn ...you've got a lot of speakers around you! That must sound sick as hell!!! Very, very cool. I can only imagine the amount of envelopment you get and the feeling it creates. Good stuff man!
Nalleh, biga6761 and unretarded like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #35 of 376 Old 12-02-2017, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Hey @SBuger just read through and things are looking great brother. It looks like we both moved into dedicated rooms at about the same time. I moved into a new place since we last corresponded and it has a separate solid block garage with one of the 14'x30' bays separated by a block wall. Can you say perfect for a Theater? So I built out the room with dark navy interlock fabric on the walls and an 8 Ht-18v.2 IB and the best part is I can as loud as I want anytime I want even when my woman is sleeping. I also bought my first PJ and a 125" 235:1 screen and with it being a Panny ae4000 it's 8 years old and a wee bit dim but I can fully back your feeling on the dark fabric walls. As soon as I got the fabric up the brightness was no longer an issue whatsoever and the blacks improved noticeably.

I also added a large riser and 2 rows of seats instead of the single I was stuck with in my living room. As before I still have 2 Buttkicker LFE's (which I LOVE!!) under my main couch and even though I was on suspended floors I noticed a substantial difference once on the riser even with the IB and MBM's off. I also left the rubber ball isolators I always used under the feet of the couch and the Buttkickers still heavily shake the whole 8'x14' 13"tall( a 2x4 and 2x10 stacked) riser. It also really helped with TR from the subs too so it may be something you want to look into doing to help get that last bit from your TT's. You could even build you up a small 2x4 riser for your single chair for super cheap and see if you like what it adds then scale from there if you later change seating. I really like what it added to my TR and as much as you like that wobble/trampoline effect like I do, I think you would too.

As for Atmos I fully, whole heartedly agree that it was the biggest audio upgrade I have ever done, it's just as @Nalleh was saying. I made the switch about 2 years ago now and I couldn't be more amazed by it on a daily basis. It stills does things to this day that surprise and even shock me. I can't recommend you make the jump fast enough, run don't walk bro. IMO part of the great imaging and sounds you hear coming from above are just a taste of what you will experience and a lot of what you are hearing is the fact that lots of movies are being mixed on Atmos consoles and even though you don't yet have it, it's so good that the effect even works without it, though diminished and less precisely placed. I'm also of the opinion that your KEF's are another large part of the great imaging your hearing and I wish I could hear an all KEF system like yours and can only imagine how insane they would be full Atmos like @Nalleh 's.
Sorry to push you so hard but hey that's what AVS friends are for right? LOL I know you plan to but Nike that shiz man ASAP.

So glad you are loving the new room and the sound that the acoustic treatments have brought you. I too am a big believer in what they can do and wish I knew more about how to place what I have and would like to know how to properly add some difusion too. I've done first reflection points like you have and the front wall as well but I'm very curious what an acoustic professional could coax from my room but doubt I'll have the budget anytime soon. I plan to build more and see what I can come up with though as that's half the fun and I like the change every time I add more.

Truly Killer system brother Buger, keep up the strong work. I have always liked your setup and really like the thought of it in the smaller room.

The pics from your PJ always impress me too right down to your avitar. The 5030 was a strong contender for me til I found a sweetheart deal on the low hour panny and really wonder what if anything the jump to 4k would bring you. Don't get me wrong, as close as you sit a 4k PJ may well look better but I can't imagine more than 10-15% difference, if that, and maybe a bit better sharpness but from what I see in your pics that might not be possible. Very nice indeed.

Also careful not to over scramble your kidneys with all the VNF firepower and TT/MA's. LOL my wife recently informed me it's totally possible......and that in the new room -15 is her new limit apparently.
Hey Dr....can bass cause a UTI? LMAO Of course she tried to convince me the answer was yes, declared we now have too much bass and set a -15 limit when she's present. OH YEA.... LEVEL UP!!!!

Stay in touch and I look forward to your progress.

Edit:
Lastly I have to say as others have you are extremely impressive in your ability to write up your experiences and then display your results for us all to see. I think that's what drew me to love your system so much, when I first found your threads, is how well you have displayed it from day one, in all your threads.
I see a lot of folks talk about how you can't take good photos of a PJ image or that web compression will kill the quality and it's a waste of time but I immediately recall your threads and pics from your screen and say to myself, really?, take a look at Buger's shots and then tell me that again.
Also I've always found inspiration in your use of TT's. When most talk about finding the sensation fake or removing their TT's especially with VNF subs, your killer explanation and experience with what most would consider "overkill" spurred me on to find the tactile glory I currently have in my room with dual Buttkickers and dual Auras on 1 couch. You also have me wanting to add Crowson's but man I built my whole IB for about the same cost so I'm kinda torn. But once again the quality of your write ups have me convinced the MA are totally worth the cost.
Lol..... that's one reason I'm pushing you to spend some of your $ on Atmos ( cause you'll love it) cause without even knowing it you are pushing me to spend mine......
Simply outstanding work as always bro.
SBuger, subacabra and unretarded like this.

Epson 5040UB-125" Silver Ticket 2.35:1-Xbox One S- HTPC JRiver MC24
Marantz av7702 - Crestron CNAMPX-12x60 Fully Bridged to 6x220 - 2_Crown Xls 2000's
Crown Xls 1500 - Qsc RMX 1450 - Qsc RMX 850 - 2_Inuke 3kDSP's - Inuke 6kDSP
Speakers}7.4.4 Atmos DIYSoundGroup HTM-12's, Volt-8's
Subs}8 SI HT-18 v.2's SBA 11hz Ported IB-Nr Fld 2_PA460 MBM's-UM18 FMarty-2_Buttkicker's

Last edited by biga6761; 12-03-2017 at 09:05 AM.
post #36 of 376 Old 12-03-2017, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biga6761 View Post
Hey @SBuger just read through and things are looking great brother. It looks like we both moved into dedicated rooms at about the same time. I moved into a new place since we last corresponded and it has a separate solid block garage with one of the 14'x30' bays separated by a block wall. Can you say perfect for a Theater? So I built out the room with dark navy interlock fabric on the walls and an 8 Ht-18v.2 IB and the best part is I can as loud as I want anytime I want even when my woman is sleeping. I also bought my first PJ and a 125" 235:1 screen and with it being a Panny ae4000 it's 8 years old and a wee bit dim but I can fully back your feeling on the dark fabric walls. As soon as I got the fabric up the brightness was no longer an issue whatsoever and the blacks improved noticeably.

I also added a large riser and 2 rows of seats instead of the single I was stuck with in my living room. As before I still have 2 Buttkicker LFE's (which I LOVE!!) under my main couch and even though I was on suspended floors I noticed a substantial difference once on the riser even with the IB and MBM's off. I also left the rubber ball isolators I always used under the feet of the couch and the Buttkickers still heavily shake the whole 8'x14' 13"tall( a 2x4 and 2x10 stacked) riser. It also really helped with TR from the subs too so it may be something you want to look into doing to help get that last bit from your TT's. You could even build you up a small 2x4 riser for your single chair for super cheap and see if you like what it adds then scale from there if you later change seating. I really like what it added to my TR and as much as you like that wobble/trampoline effect like I do, I think you would too.

As for Atmos I fully, whole heartedly agree that it was the biggest audio upgrade I have ever done, it's just as @Nalleh was saying. I made the switch about 2 years ago now and I couldn't be more amazed by it on a daily basis. It stills does things to this day that surprise and even shock me. I can't recommend you make the jump fast enough, run don't walk bro. IMO part of the great imaging and sounds you hear coming from above are just a taste of what you will experience and a lot of what you are hearing is the fact that lots of movies are being mixed on Atmos consoles and even though you don't yet have it, it's so good that the effect even works without it, though diminished and less precisely placed. I'm also of the opinion that your KEF's are another large part of the great imaging your hearing and I wish I could hear an all KEF system like yours and can only imagine how insane they would be full Atmos like @Nalleh 's.
Sorry to push you so hard but hey that's what AVS friends are for right? LOL I know you plan to but Nike that shiz man ASAP.

So glad you are loving the new room and the sound that the acoustic treatments have brought you. I too am a big believer in what they can do and wish I knew more about how to place what I have and would like to know how to properly add some difusion too. I've done first reflection points like you have and the front wall as well but I'm very curious what an acoustic professional could coax from my room but doubt I'll have the budget anytime soon. I plan to build more and see what I can come up with though as that's half the fun and I like the change every time I add more.

Truly Killer system brother Buger, keep up the strong work. I have always liked your setup and really like the thought of it in the smaller room.

The pics from your PJ always impress me too right down to your avitar. The 5030 was a strong contender for me til I found a sweetheart deal on the low hour panny and really wonder what if anything the jump to 4k would bring you. Don't get me wrong, as close as you sit a 4k PJ may well look better but I can't imagine more than 10-15% difference, if that, and maybe a bit better sharpness but from what I see in your pics that might not be possible. Very nice indeed.

Also careful not to over scramble your kidneys with all the VNF firepower and TT/MA's. LOL my wife recently informed me it's totally possible......and that in the new room -15 is her new limit apparently.
Hey Dr....can bass cause a UTI? LMAO Of course she tried to convince me the answer was yes, declared we now have too much bass and set a -15 limit when she's present. OH YEA.... LEVEL UP!!!!

Stay in touch and I look forward to your progress.

Edit:
Lastly I have to say as others have you are extremely impressive in your ability to write up your experiences and then display your results for us all to see. I think that's what drew me to love your system so much, when I first found your threads, is how well you have displayed it from day one, in all your threads.
I see a lot of folks talk about how you can't take good photos of a PJ image or that web compression will kill the quality and it's a waste of time but I immediately recall your threads and pics from your screen and say to myself, really?, take a look at Buger's shots and then tell me that again.
Also I've always found inspiration in your use of TT's. When most talk about finding the sensation fake or removing their TT's especially with VNF subs, your killer explanation and experience with what most would consider "overkill" spurred me on to find the tactile glory I currently have in my room with dual Buttkickers and dual Auras on 1 couch. You also have me wanting to add Crowson's but man I built my whole IB for about the same cost so I'm kinda torn. But once again the quality of your write ups have me convinced the MA are totally worth the cost.
Lol..... that's one reason I'm pushing you to spend some of your $ on Atmos ( cause you'll love it) cause without even knowing it you are pushing me to spend mine......
Simply outstanding work as always bro.
Thanks @biga6761 for stopping by and taking the time to write up a fantastic post!!

Ahhhh ..that's awesome that you moved into a dedicated space as well!! CONGRATS!! And yes, that sounds perfect for a dedicated room. I'm jealous that you can listen how ever loud you want at whatever time and not bother your woman. I still can't get away with that in this new room. In the middle of the day (weekday), I can listen how ever loud I can stand, but at night, there is still to much sound that travels through the house even with the door closed (but its mainly the bass). Bass can travel like crazy unfortunately. So at night, I have to listen around -30mv or so. Luckily, with the VNFs and BKs&MAs, it's still quite enjoyable and feels like the walls and stuff are shaking ..but the wife and daughter don't really wake up, which is cool.

Nice on the fabric and projector! The PJ is a must have and the darkening of walls etc just helps the image and emersion so much. Also, very nice about your IB and MBM's. I'm sure it feels crushing in your room. And yes, your BK's as well. Its still amazes me what they can add. I don't think I could ever be without them, even with also having the Crowson MAs. They are just so damn powerful and give that trampoline feeling so well like you were saying! Yes, I may have to try a riser at some point to see if I can get even more of that. But that said, my suspended floor does seem to have a fair amount of flex in it and it moves like crazy when I'm standing. But when seating, it still feels real similar to when I was on concrete in my downstairs setup. It's just so hard to compete with what the VNFs + TT/MA bring. Although it may be adding a bit more depth to the TR at some frequencies. But a riser like your talking about may help as well like it does for you, sounds like you've experienced both, which is way cool!

About the Atmos, awesome that your running that (wow lots of folks have made the jump already). Yep, I really do think I'm going to absolutely love Atmos since I'm really digging what little bit of sounds that seem to be coming from the ceiling on certain tracks just from the imaging. I'm sure Atmos will be even WAY better. About the KEF's, yeah I think that's one of the strong points about these Kef speakers is the imaging. I've heard other folks talk about this before with them and I think they're right. And yep, I'm sure @Nalleh 's full-on Atmos'ed out to the max setup is insane! Hey I don't mind the nudge from you guys!

About the treatments, cool that's what you've done as well. Sounds real similar to mine. I still want to mess with some diffusion at some point as well like you were saying (probably towards the back of the room). Maybe on the side walls and back wall, maybe even a little on the ceiling, but will probably wait until I do the Atmos and all that first.

Also, your wife makes a good point about scrambling the kidneys with all the VNF firepower and TT/MA's. I do actually sometimes worry about that. Surely it can't be to great on the organs over a period of time. Hopefully it wont start taking its toll on me. Speaking of a -15mv limit, in this small room, -15mv just seems pretty damn loud on most soundtracks and pretty much gives me all I want and can handle comfortably. I can go a little higher, but not for extended periods of time. Even with the treatments and clarity, it's still just loud as hell in this small room. Not fatiguing, just loud. -12mv to -17mv with subs ran anywhere from about 8-15db hot (depending on the movies soundtrack) in this new room and setup, seems just about right for my tastes. These moderate Master Volume levels (well I think of them as moderate anyway compared to where a lot of folks around here listen at) and subs ran hot will still slam and shake the hell out me though. This is what ultimately pushed me into trying the VNF's and BKs/MAs. I didn't want to have to listen at uncomfortable levels in order to get what I think is pretty crazy impact and TR. It helps so much IME and really does help save on the ears.

So anyway, I just want to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your wonderful compliments on my system and my write ups about my experiences etc.!! That really means a lot to me!! I do truly love this stuff (HT in general, but especially the bass and TR part of it) and hopefully my extreme passion for it comes through in my writings and is able to inspire, help and give ideas to others. From the sounds of it, I think it may have done that for you and makes it worth the times it takes sometimes to write it all up and post it. Don't get me wrong, it's fun too, but can be difficult to try to put it all into words sometimes. But if it can help a few folks and hopefully be somewhat interesting, then it's worth it!

About the pics, thanks for the compliments on them. Taking PJ and HT setup pics actually can be kind of difficult. I used to be into photography a little bit, so I've got a few tricks that do seems to help out some. I've seen a few pics in these parts that truly look "Professional" that put mine to shame, but thank you!

As far as pushing me to spend some of my money on Atmos and other goodies, it's only fair since it sounds like I've unknowingly pushed you to spend your as well

I REALLY do want Atmos and will get there eventually. I've got to recover a bit from all the stuff I needed to get the room in pretty good working order, plus I really do need some seating (3 HT seats and more BK's and Crowson + Amps to go with them) in this room before I get Atmos. So unfortunately, It'll probably be awhile, but hopefully in the next year or so. You guys comments on how great Atmos is really sealed the deal for me ....it's gonna happen for sure at some point in the hopefully not to distant future !!
Nalleh and biga6761 like this.

post #37 of 376 Old 01-14-2018, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 718
Buger, I love the approach. I have never seen anything so extreme. I see what you mean by VNF VERY Near Field.

Glad you are enjoying the black velvet benefits. It was worth it for me as well.

I know you are hearing this from everyone but your room and especially your preferences do call for Atmos/DTS:X. I mean your whole vibe in that room is immersion. So it totally makes sense to do an immersive audio set up in there. How much difference it will make depends on what you are coming from. It looks like you are already more immersive than many regarding your audio so it might not be night and day difference. But, we are striving for percentage points here and there in this hobby. And it all adds up to a superior experience in total.

Your 3 theater chairs come first though. I know you are looking at some nice chairs and you may have special requirements so you can add tactile transducers. But, I got my chairs used and they are still nice and nobody knows or cares when the lights are out. Just thinking of ways to save money so you can move forward sooner.

And I think the advice Nellah gave about sticking with your projector for now is good. Just upgrade the AVR and put up 2-4 speakers in your ceiling. Does not need to be a large investment. You can use the up mixer function on everything and it works very very well. Even sporting events are better for crying out loud. So it is a winner in my book.

That Marvel screen saver is a stunner! Keep up the good work.
SBuger, biga6761 and unretarded like this.
post #38 of 376 Old 01-14-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Buger,
I think the advice Nellah gave about sticking with your projector for now is good. Just upgrade the AVR and put up 2-4 speakers in your ceiling. Does not need to be a large investment. You can use the up mixer function on everything and it works very very well. Even sporting events are better for crying out loud. So it is a winner in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Thanks @biga6761 Hey I don't mind the nudge from you guys!
You guys comments on how great Atmos is really sealed the deal for me ....it's gonna happen for sure at some point in the hopefully not to distant future !!
No problem man I just love checking out your setup and stop by often. I hate to keep on you Bug but the band wagon is already rolling with mastergrants great post and Nellah's smart advise so I can't resist. These guys are on to something here and you simply must go Atmos sooner rather than later.
And with the next gen. pre-amps and receivers(like the new flagship Denon x8500H) allowing 6 height channels I bet a lot of guys around here will be selling perfectly good Atmos/(DTS:X? not really required IMHO because of Dolby Surround Upmixer but would be great to have, also the Audyssey app is not on 1st. gen Atmos units like my AV7702 ,so something to consider when shopping used/old stock) units for killer prices real soon so keep your eyes peeled and I bet you'll score a sweet deal. A few KEF's for the ceiling and Bob's U'r uncle & Nancy's U'r aunt...IMMERSIVE AUDIO in the sweet ass Buger theater! Just sayin' brother, I can't recommend it enough.

Edit: Case in point. Flagship, half price! And 1 Hell of a piece of kit.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...z-av8802a.html
SBuger and unretarded like this.

Marantz av7702 - Crestron CNAMPX-12x60 Fully Bridged to 6x220 - 2_Crown Xls 2000's
Subs}8 SI HT-18 v.2's SBA 11hz Ported IB-Nr Fld 2_PA460 MBM's-UM18 FMarty-2_Buttkicker's

Last edited by biga6761; 01-14-2018 at 10:36 PM.
post #39 of 376 Old 01-14-2018, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #40 of 376 Old 01-15-2018, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post
Buger, I love the approach. I have never seen anything so extreme. I see what you mean by VNF VERY Near Field.

Glad you are enjoying the black velvet benefits. It was worth it for me as well.

I know you are hearing this from everyone but your room and especially your preferences do call for Atmos/DTS:X. I mean your whole vibe in that room is immersion. So it totally makes sense to do an immersive audio set up in there. How much difference it will make depends on what you are coming from. It looks like you are already more immersive than many regarding your audio so it might not be night and day difference. But, we are striving for percentage points here and there in this hobby. And it all adds up to a superior experience in total.

Your 3 theater chairs come first though. I know you are looking at some nice chairs and you may have special requirements so you can add tactile transducers. But, I got my chairs used and they are still nice and nobody knows or cares when the lights are out. Just thinking of ways to save money so you can move forward sooner.

And I think the advice Nellah gave about sticking with your projector for now is good. Just upgrade the AVR and put up 2-4 speakers in your ceiling. Does not need to be a large investment. You can use the up mixer function on everything and it works very very well. Even sporting events are better for crying out loud. So it is a winner in my book.

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions!!

Atmos is something I'm VERY excited about! Your right, since a huge part of what I'm going for in my room is total immersion for these movies, I'm sure Atmos will definitely add to the experience a lot, quite possibly even tremendously over what I have now. I've heard nothing but great things about Atmos, and am truly excited about it!

That said, I went ahead and took the plunge and ordered a couple of chairs a little before Christmas (just two for now). They've been on backorder, but should be here any day now. Unfortunately that means I'll have to exercise a bit more patience for just a little while longer. You guys talking about how awesome this Atmos is though does have me giddy thinking about it, and kind of makes me wish I would have just kept my old one seat for now, and went with Atmos first.

It's coming next though, and maybe even before I get two more Crowson MA's for the 2nd seat. Man this place is evil, great, but evil!!! There is always more that I want, or need (that's what I tell myself and my better half anyway)

KEF has recently upgraded the Q series that I have now and are fading them out for new versions. Looks like the little q100's I'm using as front heights and side surrounds are on sale (they dropped the price even more since I bought the q100's I have now a couple months ago). I may just go ahead and bit the bullet and order 2 more sets before they are gone though and have to pay twice the price for the new ones (and keep them all the same). That would give me 7.1.4 (I think). Add rear surrounds to my side surrounds, then move my front heights closer to me, and put up rear heights. Then, I'll just need a new AVR.
biga6761 and unretarded like this.

post #41 of 376 Old 01-15-2018, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No problem man I just love checking out your setup and stop by often. I hate to keep on you Bug but the band wagon is already rolling with mastergrants great post and Nellah's smart advise so I can't resist. These guys are on to something here and you simply must go Atmos sooner rather than later.
And with the next gen. pre-amps and receivers(like the new flagship Denon x8500H) allowing 6 height channels I bet a lot of guys around here will be selling perfectly good Atmos/(DTS:X? not really required IMHO because of Dolby Surround Upmixer but would be great to have, also the Audyssey app is not on 1st. gen Atmos units like my AV7702 ,so something to consider when shopping used/old stock) units for killer prices real soon so keep your eyes peeled and I bet you'll score a sweet deal. A few KEF's for the ceiling and Bob's U'r uncle & Nancy's U'r aunt...IMMERSIVE AUDIO in the sweet ass Buger theater! Just sayin' brother, I can't recommend it enough.

Edit: Case in point. Flagship, half price! And 1 Hell of a piece of kit.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...z-av8802a.html
Hey thanks man, your more than welcome to stop by anytime!!

Its all good, you guys have more than convinced me to go Atmos! I have no doubt it's as good as you say, as well as up-mixing the 5.1 and 7.1 non Atmos mixes. I'm super stoked about it, and really do wish it was sooner than later. But as you probably saw in my post to Jedimastergrant, I went ahead and ordered a couple seats a little before Christmas (should be here any day now), so unfortunately that pushes me back a little while longer (patience is not one of my strong points). But it's definitely coming in the hopefully not to distant future!!

Good call on revivers, I'll definitely have to keep my eye out, especially when the times comes. Thanks for the suggestion!!
biga6761 likes this.

post #42 of 376 Old 01-15-2018, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Those q100`s are great speakers !

I would shoot for on ceiling locations though.......if you plan on height locations, I think that will be leaving a lot on the table performance wise for the Atmos speakers.

Maybe I read your post wrong and the height thing has nothing to do with Atmos.....

post #43 of 376 Old 01-15-2018, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Those q100`s are great speakers !

I would shoot for on ceiling locations though.......if you plan on height locations, I think that will be leaving a lot on the table performance wise for the Atmos speakers.

Maybe I read your post wrong and the height thing has nothing to do with Atmos.....
Oh yeah for sure on the ceiling. So I'd have the normal 7 channels: L,C,R, SLS, SRS, RLS,RRS, then the 4 up top for ceiling speakers: 1 set (so two speakers) a little in front of my seats on the ceiling and the second set (two more speakers) a little behind my seats on the ceiling, whatever they are called.

This would make 7.1.4 right? 7 normal channels, sub, then 4 speakers up top on ceiling for Atmos right? That is what I was trying to describe but probably messed that up and got confusing. What I meant was that I currently use front heights on the ceiling up above my front L and R speakers with PLIIz or Neo:X, but would then just move those forward closer to me up on the ceiling and use the two new sets of q100's as one more set of surrounds (since mine is just 5.1 with side surrounds now (7.1 counting my heights)) and the other set for the other 2 ceiling speakers a little behind my seats.

Make sense, or am I thinking wrong here about the basic Atmos setup, which sure may be the case?

Last edited by SBuger; 01-15-2018 at 03:04 PM.
post #44 of 376 Old 01-15-2018, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ You explained it perfectly fine
Will be fun to follow your impressions WHEN you upgrade

Spoiler alert: you will need to watch ALL your movies again

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #45 of 376 Old 01-15-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Oh yeah for sure on the ceiling. So I'd have the normal 7 channels: L,C,R, SLS, SRS, RLS,RRS, then the 4 up top for ceiling speakers: 1 set (so two speakers) a little in front of my seats on the ceiling and the second set (two more speakers) a little behind my seats on the ceiling, whatever they are called.

This would make 7.1.4 right? 7 normal channels, sub, then 4 speakers up top on ceiling for Atmos right? That is what I was trying to describe but probably messed that up and got confusing. What I meant was that I currently use front heights on the ceiling up above my front L and R speakers with PLIIz or Neo:X, but would then just move those forward closer to me up on the ceiling and use the two new sets of q100's as one more set of surrounds (since mine is just 5.1 with side surrounds now (7.1 counting my heights)) and the other set for the other 2 ceiling speakers a little behind my seats.

Make sense, or am I thinking wrong here about the basic Atmos setup, which sure may be the case?

Just checking....sometimes people use heights interchangeable with top wall mounted and the ceiling locations.

Yeah.......I made the mistake of only going with a ceiling/height pair, instead of 4.......I am 5.1.2, my next receiver will be a .4 or if I go crazy a .6......

post #46 of 376 Old 01-27-2018, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh man ....look what showed up this last weekend!! YAY!! Actually they were here last Friday but had to stay in the moving truck over the weekend, they couldn't get to them until Monday. That was so hard to wait over the weekend knowing they were here but not at my house!

I had kind of forgotten how exciting it is when some big boxes show up having to do with Home Theater. It's been way too long My daughter was just as excited as I was LOL I think she already has my shopping sickness when it comes to getting cool stuff (oh no!!).

So first thing was to get my dual BK LFE's mounted to them before I even thought about moving them up into my room. Even though coolrda thought I could get it done and looked under his Pembroke chairs for me (thank you!), I was quite nervous waiting on these things to see if I was going to be able to get them mounted inside the chair, but thankfully and very fortunately I was able to get them in there in a real good spot. I didn't want to have to mount them externally if I could help it (or even one inside and one externally). In fact, they couldn't have fit in there more perfect than the way they did. They had just barely the right amount of clearance from that back bar when in the upright position and then no problems at all when going to any position in recline mode.

HooRay!!!!! Yes Yes Yes, I'm so relieved and happy about this, because yes, I still love these things and cant do without them, even with the MA's in the mix. The BK's are just too good and bring something special to the mix IMO that's hard to explain, even though the MAs are great too. So yep, I'm running both the 2 MAs and 2 BK LFE's per one chair. I'll admit, I'm a TR nut, and love the heck out of it

I just got the 2 chairs (maybe a 3rd later, we'll see), but for now I just moved the one with the two arm rests up to my room. The other is still boxed up, but think I'm going to go ahead and order 2 more MA's and 2 more BK's LFE's for the other seat in about a week (even though I really shouldn't until I save some more after all my recent purchases), then I'll move it up to my room as well and then do the recalibration thing for two seats, instead of one. So far with the one seat, I just put it where my single recliner was before and haven't ran a recal and it sounds great. I'll probably wait until I get the 2nd chair in place to rerun Audy etc. I just cant stand the thought of having another chair in there without MAs and BK's to go with it LOL. Also I may try moving my subs a bit (not the one behind each chair, but the others). I still have a dip/null in that oh so important 52-60ish area without probably to much PEQ/manipulating to lift it. It'd be nice to maybe get lucky and find a spot or two that can help a little. Initially I tried a bunch of locations, but didn't really see much difference. Damn square room and room modes!! I'll try again and see what happens.

So far, the one chair is amazing!! I love this thing and is good as I was hoping it would be. Its a fair amount firmer than what I'm used too, compared to my couch downstairs where my previous setup was and especially compared to that single recliner I was using in my new room. That thing was almost too soft and kind of swallowed you. Super comfy, but almost to plush and soft, but I thought TR was still great in it though, surprisingly.

So this new chair is going to be just about right I think, and I'm already getting used to it being firmer than my old recliner. It seems very supportive and just about right, not to soft but not to overly firm. I'm sure it loosen up a bit over time as well. Oh yeah, the power head rest if awesome too!! No way was I going to get a seat without it, because I always kind of felt like I was looking down my nose on my other recliner if I reclined very far at all and kind of stared hurting my neck trying to bend it forward so I could get a good view of the screen. I tried pillows and rolled up towels etc, but didn't like any of them and always tossed them. So power head rest was definitely the way to go for me. You can get it right were you want it with a touch of a button. Can't recommend it enough if you suffer from this problem any at all.

So far I've watched a couple movies in it and a decent amount of movie demo. TR is fantastic in these 'Pembrokes', but does feel a little different than what I'm used to in my other recliner, and previous couch as well. It's kind of hard to explain, but it just feels tighter/snappier, and more responsive compared to my other. Overall I think I like it better for the most part. I really liked the TR in my other recliner as well, its just different in this chair as well as more damped/precise feeling. You'd think that would be a good thing, but I think you could get to damped IMO. I wouldn't want it anymore so than it is now. It really does feel just about perfect in this chair though. If I had to summarize it, I guess I could say it just feels a little more 'Pro Level' and refined feeling. And not just the TR. It even makes my bass sound tighter and cleaner, as at least its perceived that way. Crazy, but it does. I guess because TR goes hand in hand with what we hear, and can influence the way we perceive what we hear. At fist I was kind of like, hey what's going on here, then I was like, oh yeah I like that. It was almost as if I had changed out my subs or something. Again, more damped and precise sounding, not just feeling. Freaking craziness I say!!!

All in all so far, I"m very, very pleased with the new Pembroke seats (or the one seat so far I should say)!!! Thanks @coolrda for being the guinea pig with these seats and recommending them. They are as good as you say!! I'm sure there is a lot of great choices out there, and I strongly considered a couple others, but I wouldn't hesitate at all in recommending these to anyone who wants some first rate HT seating and great TR to go with it.

So here are a few pics along the way. None of them in my room yet (its hard to get any good pics in there, I still don't have a light in there yet, besides what's in my closet where I have my PC, amps etc. Plus all the black velvet. I'll try to get some posted and more impressions when I get the other one setup and moved in hopefully in a couple of weeks.

Two BIG boxes and a bunch of excitement ...

And more excitement ...my daughter just loves these chairs and VERY much approves!! She gave each of here baby dolls a ride in it (she has a lot of them). Showed them all just how it all worked with recline, power head rest feature and lights ....LOL I really got a kick out of watching all this.

And on with mounting the Dual BK's ...Yeah!!

Mounting them wasn't too bad. I checked out was I was dealing with down under, made a game plan, got everything I needed from Lowes, then got it on!!
coolrda, femi, Nalleh and 3 others like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 01-27-2018 at 12:28 AM.
post #47 of 376 Old 01-27-2018, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Awsome dude, congrats

I bet they are nice to relax in

Nalleh’s HT
post #48 of 376 Old 01-27-2018, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
That seat looks vaguely familiar ;^). So glad to hear it. They will settle in. I have my share of back and neck issues and I can sit in these comfortably all day. The mounted BK’s look phenomenal. Enjoy them man!
post #49 of 376 Old 01-27-2018, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Awsome dude, congrats

I bet they are nice to relax in
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
That seat looks vaguely familiar ;^). So glad to hear it. They will settle in. I have my share of back and neck issues and I can sit in these comfortably all day. The mounted BK’s look phenomenal. Enjoy them man!
Thanks guys!!

That's saying a lot right there being able to set in them comfortably all day with some back and neck issues going on. Sorry to hear about the issues, but glad to hear your able to do that, nice!

So we all went to the movies today because my wife and daughter wanted to see "The Greatest Showman". It kind of surprised me just how good the movie itself was, phenomenal in a lot of ways actually. Besides not having much action and crazy bass, it seemed to have so much going for it (a lot of great messages, acting and soundtrack). I'm so used to seeing Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, it really impressed me to see him perform and act this well in another roll. And sang good too, who knew!? I'm not usually a fan of musicals, but they must have done this one right or something, because it didn't bother me in the least My wife an daughter loved it, especially my wife. She said she can't wait to watch it again (when it's available) in my new room when I get the other chair in there. So that's cool

Anyway, where I was going with this, is that it's been a very long time since I've been to a commercial theater. They installed leather recliners since the last time I was there, and the video actually looked quite nice on there giant screen. The recliners were surprisingly pretty comfy and had good support for the back, but didn't have power head rests (I know, how crazy of me to think they should lol). I already missed this feature since getting used to mine this week

When we got back home, I had to go sit in mine again to compare. Oh man, I think I like mine even more than I did now, and even felt a little more soft and inviting (even though still firm) than I remembered. Maybe they've broke in just a little bit already
Nalleh and biga6761 like this.

post #50 of 376 Old 01-27-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I like how the buttkickers fit up in there onboard so to speak !

Looks like some thought went into that....

post #51 of 376 Old 01-27-2018, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I like how the buttkickers fit up in there onboard so to speak !

Looks like some thought went into that....

I think I got real lucky on these chairs with the way the BK's fit in there. These Pembroke's really do accommodate them perfectly and couldn't have fit in there any better than the way they did (almost as if it was designed with the BK LFE in mind to fit 2 BK's in that spot) How lucky is that ..... the BK LFE's are not small and they just so happened to clear that back bar at the top of the BK's by about 3/8-1/2" when in non recline mode and fit one just perfectly on each side of the recline guide bar. Then no interference at all when reclining to any position.

Coolrda said the TR from his MA's weren't nearly as good under the arm rests, and he was right. They need to be up under the inner metal frame for far better feel. Under the arm rests, you don't feel it near as well in seat, and way more in the arm rests. With them under the inner metal frame, it saturates the whole seat WAY better. So I'm glad I didn't have to attach the BK's to the outer wood frame or armrest area and was able to attach them to the inner metal frame, as I'm sure it would have effected the BK's feel in a similar fashion as the MA's under the armrests did.

It actually wasn't to bad at all to mount them in there and didn't require a ton of thought, but I've had some practice at this. This is my 3rd chair to mount the BK's into, so it gets a little easier each time, if there is a spot for them that is. So I kind of knew what I was looking for and hoping to find when I started looking for a place to mount them. I think this was the easiest chair to mount them in though. Being able to take the back off really helped and didn't have to do much modifying at all. The hardest part I think was drilling the holes in the angle iron that was already in place (two holes for 2 out of the 4 feet on each of the BK's). Then they just needed one more surface to mount the other 2 feet too as well for a level platform. So I just used a piece of red oak (was already the perfect size from Lowes) and used the holes that were already there in the metal frame to attach it. Painted it black, drilled two more sets of holes, bolted it to the frame, then bolted the other 2 feet for each BK to this and was done. The BK's had to be turned a certain direction to clear, and all was good

Like you say, they kind of just fit up in there onboard so to speak, and right under my butt basically, which is what I was hoping for ...lucky, lucky, lucky
Nalleh, biga6761 and unretarded like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 01-27-2018 at 11:59 PM.
post #52 of 376 Old 01-31-2018, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So how they feeling comfort wise.........

I spend a absurd amount of time in mine, so I will be shopping carefully this time.

The front room has become defunct now and I do not think I have even sat down for 5 minutes on the front room couch in the last 6 months........I run everything thru the PJ now, so I spend the entire time when I am home in the theater chairs and I do not really see that changing in the future at all.

I even have plans for my next house that will basically eliminate the "Living room" in favor of a living theater......as that is the command center of the house now.

post #53 of 376 Old 02-01-2018, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So how they feeling comfort wise.........

I spend a absurd amount of time in mine, so I will be shopping carefully this time.

The front room has become defunct now and I do not think I have even sat down for 5 minutes on the front room couch in the last 6 months........I run everything thru the PJ now, so I spend the entire time when I am home in the theater chairs and I do not really see that changing in the future at all.

I even have plans for my next house that will basically eliminate the "Living room" in favor of a living theater......as that is the command center of the house now.

So far I'm really liking the comfort. Like I was saying on my first impressions about a week ago, they are a little more firm than what I'm used to sitting in, especially that single recliner I was using (that thing was super soft, too much so probably, but damn comfy). Also these are the first real HT chairs I've ever sat in, so I don't know what others would feel like in comparison. Probably somewhat similar though for the most part I would imagine. These Pembrokes seem very supportive in the right areas and not to firm but not to soft either. A real good mix I think, and I do find them very comfortable for a full length movie and then maybe a little more, but I haven't sat in them any longer than that before getting up. That said, I'm sure there are more comfortable HT chairs to be found. I was seriously considering a couple others that got fantastic reviews for comfort and just almost went with them, but something just kept bringing me back to these. I think the fact that @coolrda has them and said the comfort was really good (says he can spend all day in them, even with some neck and back issues - that says a lot I think), as well as saying the TR is excellent in them), ultimate made my decision for me

Speaking of TR, he was right on the money with these seats. I think this might be my favorite part about these seats, is the feel of the TR. Like I was saying in one of my previous posts for initial impressions, the TR is different feeling than my other seats (recliner and couch). And a really good different. It's hard to describe other than just more refined and pro level feeling. It's tighter, quicker, cleaner and more detailed feeling, while at the same time feeling just as big or bigger and powerful, if that makes sense. It's crazy what it has done for my perception of the bass in my system. It really is like I changed out my gear in my system or something for better sounding and feeling bass, yet nothing has changed but the chair. Same VNF subs, same two BK LFE's and two MA per chair, same FF sub, same FR etc. It just feels and sounds like it stepped up my whole system a notch or two. Although I had high expectations and have wanted some cool HT chairs for a long time, I wasn't expecting this, so it was a very pleasant surprise. It does amaze me that a chair can make this kind of perceived difference on my system.

I demoed the other day a few demos that I'm super familiar with, and just couldn't be happier with the way it sounded and felt. A few scenes from Jack the Giant Slayer, the New Pirates, the new Spiderman, and Batman Vs Superman. I just couldn't believe it actually. I've been real close before on getting it like I had ultimately envisioned, but I think I finally found it with the addition of these new seats. I know things can probably always be better, but I think I'm now the happiest I've been yet with the Bass and TR in my system. I've never mentioned it before anywhere on AVS, but I kind of have some troubles with my ears, and have for a long time. I've got some kind of traveling pain BS and currently resides in my ears and has for some time now unfortunately. So I have to be real careful or is just gets too painful. I've got to keep MV's in check (I rarely go over about -15mv, at least in this small room: -15mv is pretty loud in here), and have to keep my bass tuned tight and not overblown and boomy/bloaty (that hurts my ears as well), along with keeping the highs toned down a bit (I usually knock the treble down a couple db with the tone controls on all channels). One upside of this though I guess, is that it does force me to try to keep my bass tuned tight without a bunch of bloat and peakiness. I think (or I know) this is why I am such a fan of the Very Near Field subs (especially the one directly behind me) as well as both the BK LFE's and MAs all combined together. It allows me to the get slam/impact and crazy TR that I crave, without having to listen real loud to get it and not make the pain worse in my ears than it can be sometimes. Fortunately, I've found a way that I can still get my bass and HT fix and not hurt my ears too bad

So anyway back to the chairs, if you spend an absurd amount of time in yours like you say you do, I think you would be very happy with these if you like a firmer (but not to overly firm) feeling supportive type chair. Personally I think they are pretty darn comfy (and getting more so as they settle in somewhat already), but I'm sure comfier ones can be found if you prefer a softer, more plush swallow your whole body, sink in to total softness feel type of chair. How do you like your seats now as far as comfort goes? Do you like extra soft/plush, pretty firm, or something kind of in between?

On another note, I cant believe I did it, even though I shouldn't have, I went ahead and ordered two more MAs and two more BK LFEs for the other chair, along with another BK amp (used). Cant get a brand new BK amp for a long time for what ever reason. I almost ordered an inuke6000 (an maybe I should have for the MAs), but I'm perfectly happy with the BK amps for a lot of reasons. I'm almost not looking forward to moving that other chair in though and recalibrating and arranging subs a little bit because of how happy I am with the single chair in there now. But, I do need another chair in there. Wife is wanting to watch movies with me, and my lifting buddy at the gym is wanting to come check out my system and watch some flicks. So I really do need at least two chairs, that I can hopefully get tuned decently in this square (mode challenging) room.

So anyway, cant believe I ordered the MA, BK's and amp instead of an Atmos setup with two more sets of KEF q100 speakers and middle of the road AVR to run it. I could have probably did it for about the same price. That said, I cant stand the thought of having another chair in here and it not loaded with MAs and BKs I guess you could say, I'm a bass and TR (priority) in both seats first kind of guys, since I consider it the foundation and most responsible for the best experience possible. Make no mistake though, I soooooo want Atmos too. It'll happen eventually

Last edited by SBuger; 02-01-2018 at 01:30 PM.
post #54 of 376 Old 02-03-2018, 02:39 PM

Just wanted to swing by and say I see what your doing Bug and I love it man. Very nice choice on the seating and great work getting the oh so nessacery Buttkickers mounted. Very clean and neat solution. Glad to hear how much you are digging what the new seats bring to your experience. I think it's cool that the new seats can add that little something extra that you found they add. Seating is so important for so many reasons and I'm glad your investment is paying off so well.

Also read about the tactile upgrade coming your way in the form of more Buttkickers and MA's for the 2nd seat. I would feel remiss if I didn't at least mention the temptation you are going to face once the new TT gear comes in to try adding them to your seat instead of the 2nd one. I'm here to say, do it man, I have always wondered what 4 Buttkicker LFE's and 4 MA's would feel like on one chair and I think you(like myself) like TT's just enough to try before resigning them to their permanent home in the 2nd seat. Before you say hell no I'm crazy, just think of the tactile headroom, never bottom a Buttkicker again, even on the biggest of effects under 10hz. And do I even need to mention 4 MA's, I mean come on. And just think you could have a chance at shaking your brain hard enough to hallucinate or even find a new level of tactile glory that could potentially negate eating or even sex. LMAO

All joking aside, you are one step closer brother and as always making it look great every step of the way homey. Keep up the awesome work. I look forward to your progress and write up of installing new TT's. I'm definitely interested in whether or not you find the new MA's stronger than the old ones or if your old ones are actually working properly or not like you suspected.

Nice decision too. I know I pushed for you to go Atmos as soon as possible but I also agree with your decision on the TT's and that the foundation takes priority to us card carrying Bassheadaholics. Haha You really couldn't go wrong either way.
Keep us posted brother, in the eyes of this humble hillbilly you're, as usual, killin it.
SBuger likes this.

post #55 of 376 Old 02-03-2018, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks !

With the new MA`s on the way, you will be able to solve the question if something was wrong with the MA`s you have now. I remember you talking about something did not seem quite right with them.

post #56 of 376 Old 02-04-2018, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks !

With the new MA`s on the way, you will be able to solve the question if something was wrong with the MA`s you have now. I remember you talking about something did not seem quite right with them.
No prob, bro!

Yep, you remembered right, stay tuned and we'll see what the new ones bring in comparison. This will definitely solve the question I had about if something is going on with them. I'm hoping there will be a difference with the new ones. An easy fix if so. It may just be that I'm just so used to the extreme power that these BKs can generate in the 10-27 hz range though, and the MAs can't touch them in this area when it comes to brute power, IDK.

post #57 of 376 Old 02-04-2018, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just wanted to swing by and say I see what your doing Bug and I love it man. Very nice choice on the seating and great work getting the oh so nessacery Buttkickers mounted. Very clean and neat solution. Glad to hear how much you are digging what the new seats bring to your experience. I think it's cool that the new seats can add that little something extra that you found they add. Seating is so important for so many reasons and I'm glad your investment is paying off so well.

Also read about the tactile upgrade coming your way in the form of more Buttkickers and MA's for the 2nd seat. I would feel remiss if I didn't at least mention the temptation you are going to face once the new TT gear comes in to try adding them to your seat instead of the 2nd one. I'm here to say, do it man, I have always wondered what 4 Buttkicker LFE's and 4 MA's would feel like on one chair and I think you(like myself) like TT's just enough to try before resigning them to their permanent home in the 2nd seat. Before you say hell no I'm crazy, just think of the tactile headroom, never bottom a Buttkicker again, even on the biggest of effects under 10hz. And do I even need to mention 4 MA's, I mean come on. And just think you could have a chance at shaking your brain hard enough to hallucinate or even find a new level of tactile glory that could potentially negate eating or even sex. LMAO

All joking aside, you are one step closer brother and as always making it look great every step of the way homey. Keep up the awesome work. I look forward to your progress and write up of installing new TT's. I'm definitely interested in whether or not you find the new MA's stronger than the old ones or if your old ones are actually working properly or not like you suspected.

Nice decision too. I know I pushed for you to go Atmos as soon as possible but I also agree with your decision on the TT's and that the foundation takes priority to us card carrying Bassheadaholics. Haha You really couldn't go wrong either way.
Keep us posted brother, in the eyes of this humble hillbilly you're, as usual, killin it.
Hey thanks Biga, I appreciate it!!

I can always count on you for support, a good laugh, and to nudge me a little further in ways to try and push the envelope a little more in this HT craziness About the 4 MAs and 4 BK LFE's per seat - could be absolutely freaking insane! Maybe even enough to make me hallucinate in a new found level of tactile glory and potentially negate eating or even sex like you say ..LOL!!!!

Speaking of, me and the wife had a 3 day get away this weekend for her birthday. My folks watched our daughter for us while we took a trip and stayed at a really cool resort. They usually always try to do that for us on her birthday and anniversary every year, which is very cool of them. Probably a little more info than you want to know here, but hey you brought up eating and sex (definitely a couple of the finer things in life IMO), the food was beyond amazing (we love to eat fantastic food, who doesn't right!?) and well, the other probably just goes without saying with a good getaway and good eats (that can be an aphrodisiac in itself) Anyway where I'm going with this is, we were talking about how euphoric these two things can be and I had to add in that great HT bass and TR can rank right up there with it and be very euphoric as well, and is probably one of the main reasons I'm so addicted to it Who knows, maybe with 4 and 4 per chair, it'll even go beyond comparison If it does surpass, I wont tell her that though, I might be in a bit of trouble LOL

Seriously though, it really could be spectacular on a whole new level, then again, maybe not since 2 and 2 per can be pretty crazy and the whole diminishing returns thing once you get to a certain point. But I will say that going from 1 BK LFE to 2 makes a VERY noticeable difference in feel, even when only running 1 BK turned up to the level that 2 together can produce (said another way - two at a little lower levels to make the same level as one turned up a bit more). The same is true with going from 1 Crowson MA to 2 MAs. I tried both the BK's only going from 1 to 2 and also the same with the MA's only. Big difference in fullness and power and the feeling it creates. The same goes when combining the MAs with the BK's. I tried this as well. Partially because I was initially thinking about just running either the MAs only or the BK's only with these new seats or splitting up my 2 MAs and 2 BK's between the two seats, giving each seat 1 MA and 1 BK LFE. But no, too big of a performance hit and diminished feeling they create doing it that way.

So with all these different configs with the MA's and BKs, I did quite a lot of subjective testing on hard tile floor and carpet over pad (I did do some objective as well, but way more subjective). I'd step up through tones starting in single digits up through about 30hz, as well as some of my favorite movie demo clips. This will let you know right quick what you like best and what is king (along with there differences, minor and major). Granted, like you brought up about what I was saying before, my MA's may be lagging a little compared to some of the other guys (ie coolrda, Nalleh, etc) for whatever reason (maybe a bit faulty or something not quite right with them etc), IDK. That said, the MA's do still feel great, its just that my 2 BK's will stomp all over my 2 MAs when it comes to power and a certain physical feel they can induce. I really do hope that the new ones will have more power and be closer to my BK's. That said, the two combined (BK's and MAs) are most definitely better with both running together, whether or not my MA's may or may not be performing like they should be.

So, like you and @unretarded say, I'll be real interested as well to see if the new ones feel any different and have more power. I've almost boxed them up a couple of times and sent them in to have Randy check them just to make sure everything was working properly with them. Now with the new ones coming, it'll make it very easy for me to tell right away. It's not like the 2 MA's I have now are bad, they still feel great, especially on the upper end over about 27hz, they just don't come close in the power and feel what the BK LFE's generate when pushed to a little higher levels (or even at normal levels, but especially higher levels) in that 10-27hz range. But they do feel very realistic like a sub, I'll give'm that. I just hope the new one will be closer in power to the BK LFE's in that 10-27hz. We'll find out soon. Would be a real easy fix and a win win if the new ones are more powerful and all I had to do was send in my older ones for a tune or whatever. That said, even it that's just how the MA's should feel, I'm perfectly happy with the way the two combine together.

So to give you a bit of an example of what I'm talking about between the way the 2 BK LFE's by themselves feel compared to the way the 2 MAs by themselves feel, here is one of many scenes in a lot of the better bass movies that really drives this difference home for me. Take this time stamp in Batman VS Superman where Ben Affleck is driving that car through the city in the first chapter, right where he drives through the fire (Time Stamp: 6:00 through 6:06). I ran VibSensor with both BK LFE's only and both MAs only (no subs this time in the mix). This is about where I would run them listening at about -15mv with subs about 8-10db hot with no DEQ since I run my BKs and MAs through my Oppo and control their intensity with the volume control (about 85 percent out of 100). The two graphs look way more similar than different, granted the BK's graph is a touch higher in areas, but not much. Even though they look very similar in the graphs for the most part, the difference in feel that the BK's produce compared to the MAs, is pretty drastic. Not really the higher end above 30-35hz, but lower. Subjectively, the BK's are crazy and kind of make me squirm in my seat and gives me a panicky type of feeling (panic might not sound so good, but its awesome) with a very cool internal type of pressure feel, and kind of makes me feel it somewhat sharply in my chest as well (by the way the BK's movement is by design I guess), even though this is not midbass. The feeling to me is crazy and kind of freaky, and I absolutely love it. I can not get this with the MAs, no matter how high I turn them up (just little more to match the BK's graph, or even higher). Because the intensity level where I did this objective and subjective testing, they still had more in the tank that they could give and can be cranked up more to try to get that same feel, but to no avail. Also my subs don't quite give me as an intense of feeling that the BK's do either on scenes like this, although if I turn them up and run them hot enough, its closer. Now all of them combined, is best, but I'm only comparing the MAs to the BK's here. Also of note here, is that only 1 BK LFE turned up enough to make up the difference from what 2 at a little lower level would give, wont give me this feel either (or just barely maybe), but two ..oh man! So that said, maybe 4 MA's per chair would ..hmmmm, but damn that is getting expensive for one seat

Here are the two graphs in comparison for that BvsS Time Stamp (6:00-6) with the VibSensor using a 5lb bag of rice on the phone in recline mode (this was on my old chair, but still very similar feeling and looking in my new seat, besides some of the differences I was describing earlier between the feel between the old and new seat - but still more similar than different). In these readings on the old recliner, they read a little higher between 10-15hz in comparison to the frequencies above, but that's ok since both the MA's and the BK's by themselves have this (a bit of a peak in my TR response in the 10-15hz region).

2 MA's only per the one recliner:

2 BK LFE's only per recliner:

IDK, we'll see what the new MA's feel like compared to the new ones this week. You guys give this time stamp a go on your system and see what it feel like. It's pretty bad ass feeling if you can get the TR intense enough.

I'll definitely try 4 MAs per seat, that'll be an easy test since the MA's are so easy slip under the legs. Now the BK's, not so easy. I really would like to try 4 BK's per seat as well, just to see, since going from 1 to 2 made such a big difference (I'm afraid this may ruin me as well though - damn you Biga!! haha ) ...nah just kidding. Also like you say, more headroom, because there are some hardcore scenes I can bottom out my dual BK's if I'm not careful. I may not be able to get two more in these seats though. I felt like getting two in there was pushing it. We'll see.

Anyway, thanks for swinging by and your thoughts on it all! It's always a pleasure reading you posts. You make me feel like I might actually be doing something right with all this stuff, at least for a couple junkies like us LOL
biga6761 likes this.

Last edited by SBuger; 02-04-2018 at 09:52 PM.
post #58 of 376 Old 02-05-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
!

Speaking of, me and the wife had a 3 day get away this weekend for her birthday. My folks watched our daughter for us while we took a trip and stayed at a really cool resort. They usually always try to do that for us on her birthday and anniversary every year, which is very cool of them. Probably a little more info than you want to know here, but hey you brought up eating and sex (definitely a couple of the finer things in life IMO), the food was beyond amazing (we love to eat fantastic food, who doesn't right!?) and well, the other probably just goes without saying with a good getaway and good eats (that can be an aphrodisiac in itself) Anyway where I'm going with this is, we were talking about how euphoric these two things can be and I had to add in that great HT bass and TR can rank right up there with it and be very euphoric as well, and is probably one of the main reasons I'm so addicted to it Who knows, maybe with 4 and 4 per chair, it'll even go beyond comparison If it does surpass, I wont tell her that though, I might be in a bit of trouble LOL
Hey brother thanks for getting back to me and with such an awesome post. I'll have a bit more time later to touch on all points but thought I would take just a min to hit on something else we have in common.
I spent yesterday catering to a birthday girl myself. My wife's B-day is Feb.4th. What are the odds we both married an Aquarius? And have a deep affinity for TT's and eyeball blurring Bass? Gotta be bordering on a 1,000,000,000 to 1, for realz.
I'm never allowed to forget (especially on her B-day) that I was a chef in my former life and spent a good bit of the day yesterday preparing a 5 course dinner as part of her "gift"(every year) then moved to the bedroom so the "real gifts" could commence. Lol fortunately I also get to enjoy eating with her(both times) and probably get more out of the "bedroom" portion of the "gift" than she does. Hehe don't tell mine either! LMAO(BTW totally agree on the TR euphoria and it being an aphrodisiac in itself. Oh if our ladies only knew we rate the 2 in the same category, or close anyway. Lol) Can you say CUT OFF? ROFL

Kidding aside, glad to hear you had such a nice time on your lady's special day as I did and got some time without the rest of the family. It can be tough to find alone time together that's not in the middle of the night most of the year and I'm glad you had those 3 days, as I'm sure you were too. Wish your lady a Happy belated Birthday from the wife and I. Wouldn't it be cool to combine our lady's B-day's one year and do a trip together(well maybe not for the ladies, Lol).

Now back to business:
I'll get some VS work done today or tomorrow and get something typed up here to compare. I'm very interested in the BvS clip you outlined in your post and will put it to the test ASAP. I'm considering adding at least 1 or maybe 2 more Buttkicker LFE's to my couch instead of MA's simply because of cost. This makes me quite interested in what you choose to do in your "on one chair" experiments. Meaning I'm very curious to see what you decide to try with the new TT's before adding them to the 2nd chair. I really want the MA's but could come close to adding 4 more Butt's for the cost of 2 MA's. Like you, I can bottom the Butt's below 10hz pretty easy and between 10-15hz it's possible also with the right material so finding the most 20hz and under headroom is my main goal and if I can get more "trampoline" effect at the same time all the better.
Which would add more to the experience for the $ is my biggest question i guess and sadly I'm not sure there is a way to know without ponying up and trying it. In looking at your VS graphs it's easy to see looking at the Y and X plots that there is a definite difference in presentation between the LFE's and MA's but what is not clear is how much of that difference would be felt seat-of-the-pants.
We shall see after taxes are back and I can pay off a few things that it took to get my new room up and running, what I'm able to do. I'm also trying to replace my IB Inuke's with a better sub amp in the form of a SpeakerPower, IPR2 7500 or ProLite 7.5 and this will def eat up some cash. By then I think you will have made a bit more headway as will I.(Haha get busy over there homes, I need dat data!) I too will have made more VS progress by that time and will be able to make a more educated purchase.
More to come my friend, from both of us it would appear. Be back soon. Thanks again Bug for your time and reply.
SBuger likes this.

post #59 of 376 Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

Wow, 5 course meal ..that's impressive and I bet she thought so too!

Well my wife's birthday was actually Jan 19th (Capricorn) and we just did the get away a couple weeks later this time because of timing issues, but the birthdays are close enough So Happy B-day to yours as well! Yeah a combined trip would be cool, but yeah they'd probably tire of the all the HT talk pretty quick LOL

Good stuff man!!

About you VSing and trying out the BvsS clip. Nice, I think your system will crush it and give you all kinds of TR feel (subjectively and with VS graphs) with your 8 x18 IB system, Full Marty etc and 2 BK's!!! That whole BvsS intro is killer IMO, not just that one Time Stamp (although that one is fun and intense for sure). There are LOTS of Time Stamps all throughout that whole movie actually that are killer that feel real similar to that one and dig deep as well. One of my favorite movies for demo for sure, and never gets old to me. They did a whole lot right with this soundtrack IMO. I wish they were all this good.

I hear ya on the cost of the MA's, they are not cheap. You could do 4 BK's for the price of 2 MA's. This crossed my mine as well, but since I already have 2 MA's and really like what they do (even if mine may not be performing up to par), they combine well. If you added 2-4 more BK's on your couch, I'm sure it'd be crazy to say the least, that is if you like the feel of your 2 BK LFE's that you already have.

Also yes, below about 10hz the BK's are pretty worthless IMO. This is where the MA's most definitely put the smack down on the BK's, but the BK's are monsters from 10 or 12 to 20-25ish, but can bottom with the right material when pushed hard like you say. So more headroom under 20hz is always welcome. I'm sure an army of BK's would solve this problem for sure though and would probably give even more of that awesome 'trampoline' effect as well. Man I do love that Trampoline effect. The trampoline effect is the strongest feeling in that 18-25hz area, whereas under gives more of that wobble and being pulled down though the bottom of you chair feel, especially around 10-15hz. At least for me it is.

Speaking of that 10-15hz pull you down though your chair (bottom of chair dropping out from under you) feel, here is one for you to try as well. One of my all time Favorites for this feeling. Mad Max Fury Road. Time Stamp: 43:56-44.06. It's pretty crazy and will even trip my amps sometimes if I get real crazy with it. A while back, I think I VS'd this one at -10mv with sub about 8db hot + the BK's and MAs. But the BK's are most responsible for that feeling I was describing. Give it a go as well as the BvsS clip and see what it feels like.

Also FWIW, I've never had my 2 BK's bottom out on this MMFR clip or the BvsS clip. Or for either movie in any section the whole way though, at least at the levels I listen at. There is a couple places in Hellboy II that will do it though. Interestingly enough, on my couch downstairs, these couple of scenes in HBII would not bottom them out. But my couch had a TON of flex, and therefor didn't have to be pushed quite as hard to get the same feel in these frequencies responsible for this.

So for you, not sure which would add more to the experience for the $, I guess it would probably depend on whether or not you really like the feel of your BK's. I really like both, but probably prefer the BK's overall because of their brute power in that 10-25hz range, but may feel differently if in fact my MA's may not be performing up to par and then try ones that are. If that the case, then it may go to the MA's, because the MA's really do feel amazing. It may come down to you having to try them in house in your setup to know for sure, and then take advantage of the 30 day money back thing with the multiple MA's if you don't prefer them to the multiple BK's OR send back the BK's to Amazon and pay the shipping and keep the MA's. A big upfront cost but may be the only way to know for sure when it's time to cross that bridge, besides going on what I say that I like. But I'll try to give you as good of info as I can from my experiences with the two and what I like best about each.

As far as the Y and X axis goes on the two in my BvsS graph, the Y looks the most different to me (the side to side movement). The X is forward and backward and the Z is Up and Down. This is with the phone oriented with the top of phone pointed towards the seat back and laying down flat on the seat cushion, butted up against the seat back with the 5lb bag of rice on top of the phone to keep the phone in contact with the seat. So I don't know how much difference that Y axis is making. Maybe a little because on the BK's its about 10db stronger. But I kind of think that's not it. I think the X and Z are the most important. That said, I'm sure if all are more closely overlaid, the stronger and better the TR will be.
biga6761 likes this.

Last edited by SBuger; 02-05-2018 at 10:04 PM.
post #60 of 376 Old 02-06-2018, 03:15 AM

Once again what a stellar, useful post my friend. Thanks for the graph and time stamps. I just headed in the house for the night but will be back out in the theater in a couple hours and plan to start the morning off with some VS work. I just put the Buttkickers on a different amp(Crown Xls1500) and put them on thier own input of the balanced MiniDsp for more control over their eq. Before I had them on their own channel of the Inuke 6kdsp that started power cycling this week and when I moved them to the Crown I ran them through the same input as the MBM's. This applied the same global eq to the Buttkickers that all the subs have on them, but now they will get an unaltered signal and I can eq them separately. I currenty have a 3db LS12 Low Shelf on them then a 10db LS6 from 20hz down to 10hz and have them crossed over at 35hz on a 36db slope.
The only issue is with the Inuke I had basically unlimited delay to dial them in but now with the MiniDsp unless I loop ch.1 output to ch.2 inputs I'm limited to 7.5ms delay and with my MLP 14ft from the IB it's not quite enough. I don't prefer to do the loop on the Mini because it attenuates the signal a total of 12db (6db per input) and that is hard to get back with boost without pushing the Dsp too hard, especially at the ULF frequencies were dealing in with the TT's. I may have to get creative to make it work best because the bridged Crown seems to have more power down low and drives the Butt's better than the Inuke. So I'm going to use VS to tweak things more in a couple hours after I grab a quick nap. I'll report back when I have some data and we can see where I stand. Thanks again, as always your a great resource of info and experience brother Bug, simply priceless.
I'm also have Dunkirk to watch for the second time and will prob try and VS a few scenes from it as well. Fun morning ahead.

By the way man we were close on our ladys B-days. Thought we both had Aquarius' there for a min but close enough I guess. Lol yea if we were to try a couples trip we would prob need to do a G2G first and get a bit of the HT talk over with. Haha can you imagine having the ladies with us for our first meeting, they would sew our lips shut or kill us both one. Lmao

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
SBuger likes this.

Last edited by biga6761; 02-06-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page