SBuger's New Dedicated Home Theater Room - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 588Likes

post #61 of 376 Old 02-06-2018, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 397 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 4460
Quote:
Originally Posted by biga6761 View Post
Once again what a stellar, useful post my friend. Thanks for the graph and time stamps. I just headed in the house for the night but will be back out in the theater in a couple hours and plan to start the morning off with some VS work. I just put the Buttkickers on a different amp(Crown Xls1500) and put them on thier own input of the balanced MiniDsp for more control over their eq. Before I had them on their own channel of the Inuke 6kdsp that started power cycling this week and when I moved them to the Crown I ran them through the same input as the MBM's. This applied the same global eq to the Buttkickers that all the subs have on them, but now they will get an unaltered signal and I can eq them separately. I currenty have a 3db LS12 Low Shelf on them then a 10db LS6 from 20hz down to 10hz and have them crossed over at 35hz on a 36db slope.
The only issue is with the Inuke I had basically unlimited delay to dial them in but now with the MiniDsp unless I loop ch.1 output to ch.2 inputs I'm limited to 7.5ms delay and with my MLP 14ft from the IB it's not quite enough. I don't prefer to do the loop on the Mini because it attenuates the signal a total of 12db (6db per input) and that is hard to get back with boost without pushing the Dsp too hard, especially at the ULF frequencies were dealing in with the TT's. I may have to get creative to make it work best because the bridged Crown seems to have more power down low and drives the Butt's better than the Inuke. So I'm going to use VS to tweak things more in a couple hours after I grab a quick nap. I'll report back when I have some data and we can see where I stand. Thanks again, as always your a great resource of info and experience brother Bug, simply priceless.
I'm also have Dunkirk to watch for the second time and will prob try and VS a few scenes from it as well. Fun morning ahead.

By the way man we were close on our ladys B-days. Thought we both had Aquarius' there for a min but close enough I guess. Lol yea if we were to try a couples trip we would prob need to do a G2G first and get a bit of the HT talk over with. Haha can you imagine having the ladies with us for our first meeting, they would sew our lips shut or kill us both one. Lmao

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Hey thanks, glad to help if I can. Glad you find my posts useful and all my ramblings aren't totally useless Hey you might try running your BK's though your Philips BR player if it has a subout, and set it up that way so you will have more delay control (and untouched as well), then just control the intensity with the volume on the remote and do what you want with them though the miniDSP. That's how I do mine on the Oppo. It wont be controlled with the volume on your AVR (tied to it) so you might not like this if your volumes are all over the place, but I actually kind of prefer it this way and is easier to control the intensity on the fly if need be. This might not work so good with your Xbox though, IDK. Just thought I'd mention it. You may hate it setup this way, or maybe not.
biga6761 likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 376 Old 02-06-2018, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I'm VERY pleased to report that my new MA's came in and as I suspected, my current 2 I'm using do in fact lag behind the new ones a fair amount. The new ones are stronger across the board and fuller feeling, especially down low. So YAY!!!!!!!!!! This is what I was hoping for, because I knew they had to have more in them. I sent these older two of mine back to Crowson today, and he's going to take a look at them. I hope he can work his magic and get'm fixed up to match the new ones. They still felt pretty good, but the new ones smoke'm by a fair amount. Nota total night and day diff, but enough to make a very noticeable difference, especially down low and are now giving me that feeling that I was talking about with the BK's

So, @biga6761 - I take back what I said about me probably preferring the BK's over the MAs. They are bad ass and probably just as powerful now as the BK's and are better under 10hz for sure, at least with what little bit I messed with them today. That said, I still really like my BK's a LOT and will probably still run them in combination with the MA's, especially since I've already got two mounted in my one chair and working on the other (no way I can get 4 BK's in there, I thought I could maybe, but don't think I'm going to be able to fit them in there to try it out) So sorry about, I know you were curious, as was I. I'll try 4 MAs per seat though, just to check it out and should be easy.

Also, the combo of the MA's and BK's gives me a lot more headroom ran together and doesn't heat up the MA's near as much with them run a little lower with them combined (they give me 8-10db more headroom this way). That is the one area that I do wish the MA's were better at. They will get damn hot fast if pushed hard for very long on some of these 5 star monster bass movies, TIH, MMFA etc. They'll go into protect if they get too hot, but still I don't want them doing that. Maybe that's what happened to mine to many times, IDK. Enough MA'ss and I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem though, just expensive as hell.

I'll have do some more experimenting though when I get my other MAs back, hopefully working like these new ones. Who knows, I may end up only wanting the MAs running and prefer only them and not the combination when it comes to the overall feel that is created (and forgo some headroom maybe until I can afford more MA's if I still feel like I need it), we'll see.

Anyway, I'm very excited that the MA's are as good as I knew they should be
Nalleh and biga6761 like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 02-06-2018 at 08:35 PM.
post #63 of 376 Old 02-06-2018, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
Nice !!!!

I wish the cheap clark silvers,160 bucks, went as low as the Crowsons, they stop at 15hz.......well they don't stop, they are rated to 15, they will go lower but overheat burn up.

To get the 5hz rated Clarks is about the same as the costs of the Crowson.......so either way, it costs to play.....

I hope they take care of you on the old Crowsons......not sure what crowson has, but the clarks are rebuildable, which kinda sold on them to try out.
SBuger and biga6761 like this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 376 Old 02-07-2018, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Nice !!!!

I wish the cheap clark silvers,160 bucks, went as low as the Crowsons, they stop at 15hz.......well they don't stop, they are rated to 15, they will go lower but overheat burn up.

To get the 5hz rated Clarks is about the same as the costs of the Crowson.......so either way, it costs to play.....

I hope they take care of you on the old Crowsons......not sure what crowson has, but the clarks are rebuildable, which kinda sold on them to try out.
Hey thanks! I'm betting (hoping) that'll he'll get'em working like they should be.

Yeah I wish the top end wasn't so expensive. That said though, I do think the good ones are worth every penny for what they add to a HT system though, especially if your into TR.

I'm sure the top end Platimum Clarks that go down to 5hz are pretty amazing. IIRC, that guy (N8DOGG I believe) that runs a giant stack of subs right behind his couch runs the Platimums and really likes them. I think I also remember him saying that he's tried them all before as well (Crowsons, BKs, etc) and ended up with the Clarks.
unretarded likes this.

post #65 of 376 Old 02-07-2018, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So today I messed with the 2 new MA's a little bit and combined with the BK's as well. Daughter was home from school today not feeling well, but got a chance to play with these new bad boys for 10-15 minutes or so. I just left the subs and sound totally off and used only MAs and BK's since I didn't want to be blasting SPL's. Easy to do since I'm running them though my Oppo.

Holy Hell Fire, the combo of the two (now with the MA's working like they should) is pretty insane feeling . I got the levels of the two adjusted a little better with each other since the MA's have more power now, as well as set my BK's up a little different in the MiniDSP. After this short session and 3-4 runs though Batman vs Superman in the city in chapter 1, I felt like my insides got worked over pretty good. I felt kinda frazzled and like I needed an anti-acid or something from being shook up so much LOL

I know this type of thing may not be for everyone, but if you LOVE Tactile Response for these movie soundtracks and want to try to push the TR envelope even further than you already do, I highly recommend combining 2 MAs and 2 BK LFE's per seat. Kind of ridiculous having two of each per seat, but the MA's and BK's compliment each other very well IMO with their differences (plus a lot of headroom) and can be pretty vicious, creating a feeling way more than just shake somehow. Each by themselves are great, but combined they really seem to reinforce that seat dropping out from under me, an internal kind of pressure from the intensity, and a panicky type of feel I was talking about earlier (plus some things I don't even know how to describe). I'm sure 4 MA's per seat or even 4 BK LFE's per seat would do something real similar, but two of each on one seat will defiantly do it (at least for me). I cant really image needing anymore TR power than this (well at least in the 10-50hz range), because I still had some left in the tank and that was plenty.

@biga6761 - you may want to eventually try this combo if you can, but I'm sure your couch loaded with BK LFE's would be pretty crazy too!
Nalleh, biga6761 and unretarded like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 02-07-2018 at 09:34 PM.
post #66 of 376 Old 02-17-2018, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

YES!!! ...Randy Crowson totally fixed my 2 older Crowson MAs that weren't performing the way they needed to be. They now feel just like the 2 brand new ones, nice and powerful! Even better, he covered it all under warranty and even took care of the shipping. He's the man! I'm VERY happy with the MAs and his service!

I guess the Urethane Tube Springs went bad on one side of the MAs. He said he had never encountered this problem before and took care of it. He said it may have been from uneven pressure or something on my couch that I was using them under downstairs. Whatever it was, they are like brand new now! Oh yeah, he also put new hard grippe pads on the top where they cover the magnet (the surface that comes into contact with the bottom of your seating frame). They had slid down and off to the side about 3/-8 to 1/2" or so over time. WooHoo ...happy dance
biga6761 and unretarded like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 02-17-2018 at 03:59 PM.
post #67 of 376 Old 02-17-2018, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice!.......:d
SBuger likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #68 of 376 Old 02-17-2018, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 220
As a retired electrician I get horrified when I see someone use wirenuts on stranded wire. Yes it is legal, but a very poor choice when used in an area with vibration a possibility. The vibrations will eventually cause the wirenut to fall off. This is why wirenuts are a poor choice in a car. You really should get a crimping tool and connect them so there is no chance it will ever come apart. Or at least use electrical tape on the existing connections.
SBuger, biga6761 and unretarded like this.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #69 of 376 Old 02-17-2018, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seilerbird View Post
As a retired electrician I get horrified when I see someone use wirenuts on stranded wire. Yes it is legal, but a very poor choice when used in an area with vibration a possibility. The vibrations will eventually cause the wirenut to fall off. This is why wirenuts are a poor choice in a car. You really should get a crimping tool and connect them so there is no chance it will ever come apart. Or at least use electrical tape on the existing connections.
Hey thanks for the tip sir! I guess I've gotten lucky the last couple of years running these things with just wire nuts, they haven't ever come loose yet (at least not that I know of), but could happen at some point. I should probably at least use some electrical tape like you say.

I now need to run 4 Crowson MA's wired in parallel to the amp, which will be Five 12 gauge wires total in each wire nut (4 + the 1 main wire coming from the amp). The way I have it now for 2 MAs (Buttkickers LFEs are wired like this as well) in parallel, its only Three 12 gauge wires per wire nut.

Instead of using wire nuts for multiple 12 gauge wires, what do you suggest for a housing to crimp these, pig tail sleeves like this maybe (3rd solution down) on this page here? : http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...aker-wire.html
biga6761 likes this.

post #70 of 376 Old 02-17-2018, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

While I am lazy and do not do it all the time, I have done a few hotrod projects, I like to solder the wires....which is a super easy and cheap and never fails, then squirt dielectric grease on the connection then slip a piece of shrink tubing over the top.

I hate butt connectors for soft speaker wire as it always cuts the wire, I strip the plastic off them and solder then shrink tube if I do use them at all............I like option 3 for a easy way......you could squirt a little dielectric grease up in there before crimping just for good measure........

Just my opinion........the wiring guy might have a much better option though

post #71 of 376 Old 02-18-2018, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Hey thanks for the tip sir! I guess I've gotten lucky the last couple of years running these things with just wire nuts, they haven't ever come loose yet (at least not that I know of), but could happen at some point. I should probably at least use some electrical tape like you say.

I now need to run 4 Crowson MA's wired in parallel to the amp, which will be Five 12 gauge wires total in each wire nut (4 + the 1 main wire coming from the amp). The way I have it now for 2 MAs (Buttkickers LFEs are wired like this as well) in parallel, its only Three 12 gauge wires per wire nut.

Instead of using wire nuts for multiple 12 gauge wires, what do you suggest for a housing to crimp these, pig tail sleeves like this maybe (3rd solution down) on this page here? : http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...aker-wire.html
That is a great article. He agrees with me. Don't use wire nuts on stranded wire. The crimping tool and either the butt splices or crimp sleeves is what I would use.
SBuger and SuperFist like this.

LG OLED55C6P
Sony STRDH770, Sony UBP-X800, Sony PS3 160
2 - Polk TSi300, 1 - Polk CS10, 4 - Polk T15, 1 - Polk PSW125
post #72 of 376 Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool, thanks for the info and reply on this guys!

post #73 of 376 Old 02-24-2018, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

A bit of an update here. I've got a few new cool Home Theater things going on. I took some pics but they are pretty crappy from the cell phone (with flash since I still don't have lights put up in my room yet besides what comes from the closet/equipment and PC room and from the hallway when the door is opened. When I get lights, I'll try to take some better pics and get'm posted. But for now, this will have to do

First, I got a new black shag rug that almost covers almost the entire 13'x13' light colored carpet floor. I cut around the chairs since I didn't want them sitting on it and used that to help fill in the very back sides a little bit. All that is left un-covered is a tiny little bit behind the VNF subs right behind the two new chairs.

Wow, it made a real nice difference in the total immersion thing, even with everything else already covered in black velvet. Helped with a little better PQ too. With a bright image on the screen, it would light up the floor with light colored carpet more than I thought it did. I was rolling out a piece of 4' x 13' black velvet when I would take the time to do it, but became a pain in be butt after a while rolling it in and out. It worked great fort he part in front of the screen when I would do it, but if I left it there it would get all messed up and wrinkled by walking on it since my door is up front and have to walk on it to get out. Now with the rug, it can just stay down and no more messing with that

It's pretty crazy how black this rug is in comparison to the SY black velvet. Not quite as ultra black and light absorbing, but I can hardly tell that at all when the movie is going. I can just barely see it if I really try hard during bright scenes. But I sit so close to the screen that I don't really see it anyway directly in front of the screen. Where I am able to see floor is up front on the sides and peripheral version, but not anymore. It just looks pitch black everywhere. I can't really tell where the floor, ceiling or walls begin or end when the movie is going, which is awesome and what I was going for. All I can really see from my peripherals to straight ahead is the screen. Kind of freaky but way cool for immersion. Makes me feel right there in the movie since I sit so close and no distractions. Well, I take that back about no distractions, I can still see my feet, legs and a bit of the legs rests when reclined if I don't cover them up with a piece of black velvet. Sometimes it bothers me and sometimes it doesn't if I don't cover them up.

Here's a couple pics of the black shag rug. I had to take the door and speakers off to get the rug in. As you can probably see, that thing is black, almost as black as the velvet, even with strong light from the hallway shining on both. Plus it's pretty plush with shag and makes the room feel pretty cozy A cozy black pit HaHa!!

A few pics to show this ...

The rug only goes 10' back form the very front wall, but I've bee using the pieces that I cut out under the chair to fill in the back part where the rug ends in the pic

So next up, I finally got my other Pembroke HT seat moved up into my room to make two It feels good to finally have two chairs in there, except I'm not quite dead center of the screen anymore for the ultimate sweet spot, but it's still good. Both seats aren't to far off center and is a good compromise to have two still pretty close to center.

I think the new thing I'm most excited about though is what's going on behind and inside the chairs themselves and what it's capable of delivering. And this is, 2 Crowson MAs and 2 Buttkicker LFEs per seat, especially since my old MAs were fixed by Randy. But the real kicker (pun intended ), is that it's like I'm running a total of 8 TT/MAs all together because I connected my two chairs together, instead of just having the one armed seat butt up to the 2 arm seat (not connected this way but looked like it). They are like one now after attaching them and they all get the effect like one seat. Sure the ones directly under each seat have the most effect. But still the ones under the other seat still have a pretty big effect as well, while not feeling lopsided.

What this did was give me loads of headroom (the MA's dont get crazy hot and shut down like they used to with say ...MMFR) and seems to deliver quite a bit more intensity that you can really feel, at about the same levels of intensity with the gain levels lower on the amps if that makes sense. Another words, 8 dialed down to be at the same levels as only 4, while giving a more intense feel. Plus butt loads of headroom. I don't know that just adding more subs (once you have enough to give you the SPL you need without distortion and or compression) really adds a whole lot (if any) to the experience once you've got your VNFs in place, but not he case with MAs and BK LFEs. Or at least the BK's anyway. 4 BK LFE' are pretty insane on there own, and even more so combined with the VNFs and MAs. The synergy that they all three create is like nothing I've experienced quite like this yet. I'm still kind of shocked and amazed at what it's delivering, so I'll try not to get to carried away with my descriptions here, as I'm still somewhat in disbelief with it and on a natural high I'll just say that the panicky type of feeling that I was talking about the other day that I love (A little more so from the BKs, but MAs as well) is even stronger now with a small army of both under my 2 seats. So other than even more of that panicky, oh Sh**, clinch my butt cheeks together so I don't poop my pants and embarrasses myself, I don't know how else to describe it LOL. I think this is what I've been chasing ultimately for the last 3-4 years when I fist started using VNF subs and MAs and TTs down in my living room setup. Little did I know, I just needed more MAs and more BKs AND a couple of Pembroke HT chairs to house them all in!

Here are few pics to show the setup of the two chairs with an 18" sealed sub behind each chair with drivers about as close as I can get them (about 1" clearance for driver excursion) plus two BK LFEs bolted to the frame and two Crowson MAs per seat. Since the chairs are connected now, I actually preferred the MAa to the outside a little with some experimenting to make it feel more even. One directly under the middle back of seat and the other towards the outside back (still under the metal frame though and not the armrest with plywood in between so it's not magnet to metal).

And a couple shots under the chair from the front ...

Over the last couple of days I've been using Blade Runner 2049, Mad Max Fury Road, Batman vs Superman, and the newest Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales to make my tweaks and use for demo. So far I'm VERY pleased with the config and setup with the Pembrokes.

One thing I forgot to mention, is I think it's mainly the addition of the BKs that responsible for giving me that feeling I that was trying to describe up above. I can't quite seem to get it quite like this with just the VNFs and 4 MAs. Yes it's awesome, but still not quite the same as adding in the 4 BKs to the mix. Maybe adding in 4 more MAs in place if the BKs for a total of 8 MAs would do it. I don't know, but I kind of think not. There is just something about a bunch of BK LFEs in a group that give a certain feel. They are different than the MAs and create a little different type of feel. Sometimes very similar with minor differences, but sometimes a fair amount of difference. Maybe not quite as rigid as the MAs and give more of the trampoline effect and can also kind of give the feeling of going over the top of a Roller coaster and/or when you start dropping down at the tail end of the log ride if you know what I mean. Your stomach kind of drops and you can kind of feel it in your groin and even chest (somewhat sharply in the chest, even though it's not mid bass). Not quite sure how the BK LFEs do this, but I love it. So the two combine and compliment each other very well IMHO.

@biga6761 - I never did try 4 BKs per seat like we were talking about (I couldn't fit them in there), but since my 2 seats are now connected, it's probably pretty similar to having 4 per seat (although I'm sure still not quite as strong). From what I've experienced so far, I wouldn't hesitate for a second in recommending adding an army of BK LFE's under your couch or whatever seating you have now if it can accommodate them. Or a combo of MAs and BK LFEs whenever you can in the future. I don't think you'll be disappointed!!

@Nalleh - so I know you,ve been talking about adding some sealed 18s right behind your seating (I think you'll love what they bring for the party as well) to go with your 4 MAs, but you may also consider adding 4 BK LFE's (2 per seat) if you can make them fit as well for even more insanity if you still feel like you want more. I know personal preference can vary a lot from person to person, so you may not like the feel that they create I the mix, but you may love it. I know your all about the extreme just by looking at your insane Atmos setup

@coolrda - I'm sure it just doesn't get any more intense than your 24" VNF and 4 MAs when it comes to slam and TR, but just for fun if you ever get bored, you may try it as well with your Pembrokes. They accommodate the BKs very well. The BK LFEs are a little more untamed, unruly, and a bit less refined than the MA's, but have TONS of trampoline type power if you like that sort of thing and combine well with the MAs with some tweaking and integration. Like I was telling Nalleh though, the MA's only may be more your style and you might not care for it if your real used to the feel that the MAs deliver, but might be a fun experiment at some point. The combo does feel a bit different than MAs alone, but a good different, at least to me It's still fasts, clean and damped feeling (although not quite as hardcore damped as the MAs), but still enough so (to me) and a little more springy feeling which I love, especially on these Pembroke's where their firmness and build seem to be more on the damped side by themselves. Not saying this is bad, I love it ...these Pembroke seats are a TR dream and don't know that there could be much better seat for this. I love'em!!

@unretarded - not sure how the top of the line Clarks would compare to a MA or MA+BK setup, but I bet they are pretty bad ass if you ever get into those since you wanting a little lower extension from the ones you have now.

I know, this many MAs and BKs per seat is kind of ridiculous, but I'm loving the feel that they can create with these crazy movie soundtracks For me, it's really adding to the experience and feeling like so much more than just a bunch of extra shake for the hell of it.

So on another note, I got rid of my wire nuts like was suggested and I used crimp sleeves + some electrical tape. Seems to be working great. Ugly but I'll never see them because they are under the chair and blocked by the VNF subs. Now I don't have to worry about them coming loose. Speaking of, I was also using banana plugs for the MAs and BKs. Don't know what ever possessed me to do that instead of just wiring directly into them. A couple days ago two of my BKs banana plugs worked their way out, not surprising since they are all about shake and vibration. Don't have to worry about that now Here's a pic of one of the massive parallel wirings to the 4 MAs (5 wires in each, one for "-" and one for "+".

So anyway here are a few pics of the room. The first two pics are just awful with the back lighting and cell phone, but will kind of give you an idea of how it looks with a bit of light in there. The last two I took with every thing closed up with flash and is real similar to how it looks (pitch black) with no lights on anywhere and only the screen lit up ...

oooo yeah ..pitch black and immersive yall!! I've got a few more things I want to do, but getting close to having it completed now!
SuperFist, citsur86, femi and 5 others like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 02-24-2018 at 08:35 AM.
post #74 of 376 Old 02-27-2018, 01:59 PM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Awesome! I haven't seen your new setup. I'm a little sad that the drop down projector upstairs had to go haha. That was awesome. Are you just keeping the AT motorized screen down now all the time since the room is dedicated? Also, are you hiding some valuable items in your old projector ceiling drop down like James Bond (or Walter White) now that you don't need the projector in there anymore?
SBuger and unretarded like this.

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #75 of 376 Old 02-27-2018, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
Awesome! I haven't seen your new setup. I'm a little sad that the drop down projector upstairs had to go haha. That was awesome. Are you just keeping the AT motorized screen down now all the time since the room is dedicated? Also, are you hiding some valuable items in your old projector ceiling drop down like James Bond (or Walter White) now that you don't need the projector in there anymore?
Hey thanks for stopping by and for the comments! I do love this new room, but its kind of unfortunate that I no longer need that dropdown projector lift. It wasn't cheap and was a lot of work to get it right. Plus I thought it was pretty darn cool too, as did a lot of the guests. I was showing it to someone the other day down stairs in the living room, and kind of felt weird to drop it down with no projector in there, nor have all my subs and dropdown screen up front along with the rest of my equipment. Don't get me wrong I love this new room even more than I thought I would, and would have a hard time ever going back if I had to, but is kind of bitter sweet sometimes though because me and my family had a lot of great times down there in the living room with the projector and setup, and the nice open feel was kind of nice for that. I'll slowly get it set back up for movies down there again after this room is done eventually for that sort of thing. I need Atmos and a few others things for this dedicated room first though Then maybe when I go 4K someday, I can move the projector that I'm using now and was using down there, back down into that projector lift along with the dropdown screen and then just build one (a wider scope) for this room.

So yeah as far as keeping the new screen down all the time in this new room, yep pretty much. Occasionally I'll raise if I need to get back behind there to the speakers or something, but other than that, I just leave it down. Since it's motorized though, I do raise it up a tiny bit to mask the bottom border on scope aspect movies (which most are). Works great. I don't have a mask for the top this way, but its not NEARLY as noticeable on the top as it is on the bottom. Plus with all the blackouts and me being so close to the screen (taking up a lot of my vision), the bars are pretty hard to see anyway and don't ever really notice it unless I really try hard to do so.

I didn't really need a motorized screen in this room, but didn't really want to ditch it since I already had it, and it wasn't cheap either, kinda like the projector lift. I may build one someday and move it back down stairs at some point like I was saying, but for now its working great and I dint have to spend more money. All this stuff can really add up, especially when it seems like there is always something else that is wanted/needed

I was going to mount a TV back behind it like I had down in the living room setup, but never did get that done. But that's ok, as in this room I don't think that I'd ever use it much anyway (if ever) since I like the big screen so much and is easy to fire up the projector.

BTW, LOL about hiding some valuable items in that drop down lift downstairs like James Bond I need to do something like that hehe
biga6761 likes this.

post #76 of 376 Old 02-28-2018, 09:04 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 980
Quote:
Hey thanks for stopping by and for the comments! I do love this new room, but its kind of unfortunate that I no longer need that dropdown projector lift. It wasn't cheap and was a lot of work to get it right. Plus I thought it was pretty darn cool too, as did a lot of the guests. I was showing it to someone the other day down stairs in the living room, and kind of felt weird to drop it down with no projector in there, nor have all my subs and dropdown screen up front along with the rest of my equipment. Don't get me wrong I love this new room even more than I thought I would, and would have a hard time ever going back if I had to, but is kind of bitter sweet sometimes though because me and my family had a lot of great times down there in the living room with the projector and setup, and the nice open feel was kind of nice for that. I'll slowly get it set back up for movies down there again after this room is done eventually for that sort of thing. I need Atmos and a few others things for this dedicated room first though Then maybe when I go 4K someday, I can move the projector that I'm using now and was using down there, back down into that projector lift along with the dropdown screen and then just build one (a wider scope) for this room.

So yeah as far as keeping the new screen down all the time in this new room, yep pretty much. Occasionally I'll raise if I need to get back behind there to the speakers or something, but other than that, I just leave it down. Since it's motorized though, I do raise it up a tiny bit to mask the bottom border on scope aspect movies (which most are). Works great. I don't have a mask for the top this way, but its not NEARLY as noticeable on the top as it is on the bottom. Plus with all the blackouts and me being so close to the screen (taking up a lot of my vision), the bars are pretty hard to see anyway and don't ever really notice it unless I really try hard to do so.

I didn't really need a motorized screen in this room, but didn't really want to ditch it since I already had it, and it wasn't cheap either, kinda like the projector lift. I may build one someday and move it back down stairs at some point like I was saying, but for now its working great and I dint have to spend more money. All this stuff can really add up, especially when it seems like there is always something else that is wanted/needed

I was going to mount a TV back behind it like I had down in the living room setup, but never did get that done. But that's ok, as in this room I don't think that I'd ever use it much anyway (if ever) since I like the big screen so much and is easy to fire up the projector.

BTW, LOL about hiding some valuable items in that drop down lift downstairs like James Bond I need to do something like that hehe
Yeah those are good ideas. Maybe slowly replace some of the things you've brought from your living room for the dedicated room. Maybe an Atmos receiver + whatever extra speakers you need for Atmos, 4K Projector, and fixed frame AT screen. Easier said than done, right? I know you know as much as anyone into this hobby, this stuff isn't cheap!

Once you've done that you can bring the current electric screen, projector, and AVR back upstairs. Then maybe just some budget speakers/sub(s) for casual viewing in there. This is basically my plan in the future, when I get my dedicated theater done in the basement. Whenever that is..haha
SBuger and unretarded like this.

| 7.2.4 Photos (Updated Photos 1/5) | Frequency Response | Visual: LG 65” B7A OLED | Elite VMAX-2 Electric 120" | Optoma GT1080 Proj |
| AVR/Amps: Marantz SR-6011 9C | Audio Source AMP-100VS | iNuke 1000DSP; TTs: 4x AuraSound Pro |
| Center: B&W CM Center 2 S2 Ed | Fronts: 2x B&W 684 S1s | Side Surrounds: 2x B&W 685 S1 |
| Front/Rear Heights: 4x Polk T15 | In-Ceiling: 2x Micca M-8C | Subs: 2x Rythmik FV15HP |
post #77 of 376 Old 03-15-2018, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Look like an awesome room you have there, been thinking about some kickers mounted in the my Chairs too so maybe the volume on my subs can be dialed some db Down.

That Hulk Picture must scared the living daylights out of Your guests

Well done!

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #78 of 376 Old 03-15-2018, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygrandis View Post
Look like an awesome room you have there, been thinking about some kickers mounted in the my Chairs too so maybe the volume on my subs can be dialed some db Down.

That Hulk Picture must scared the living daylights out of Your guests

Well done!
Hey Thanks!! It's just a small little room, but I enjoy the heck out of it. It's been a blast fixing it all up for movies and not having to deal with WAF

I think you'll really like what the kickers can do for movies, and yes will probably even allow you to turn down your subs a little. The kickers really can make movie watching so fun and take the experience to the next level. They'll be a nice addition to that amazing room of yours (I loved all the pics you posted in the bass movies thread the other day!)

lol ...yeah that Hulk pic on the projector from Avengers is pretty intense in real life since my seating is pretty close to the screen and its 16:9 on that movie Combine that with kickers and subs behind the seats, and it can almost be sensory overload sometimes. I like intensity and is what I was after though for these movies It's a little too much for my wife sometimes, but I love it

She was off of work today so we watched about 3/4's of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (I love that movie), and she said she felt all stressed out from it. She loved the movie and the the slow scenes, but when stuff got crazy (which is fairly often in that movie), the intensity was little too much for her to handle comfortably. She probably wouldn't make it a minute through something like Mad Max Fury Road, or even parts of the Avengers movie LOL.

post #79 of 376 Old 03-19-2018, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm working on a big Update on the first page. In the process I hit the picture attachment limit, so since I forgot to reserve a spot in the 2nd post, I wanted to post a few of the older pics here from when I started the room and will just link to it from the 1rst page if anyone is ever interested in seeing them.

So here are those older pics that I took along the way getting the room ready. Since my entire room is pretty much blacked out now with the Black Velvet, it's kind of hard to see what's what going on in the pics sometimes. These show the speakers and locations etc a little better with the walls completely bare before I did any treatments or black velvet.

This setup was really fun with only one recliner with the subs surrounding me for a little while. A few pics:

To help keep this page from turning into a scroll fest, I'll just put them in a spoiler tag ...

Spoiler!

New UPDATE with lots of pics coming next post (first post all ready updated) ...

post #80 of 376 Old 03-19-2018, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

UPDATE with LOTS of pics

Well for starters, I changed out my iNuke6000's stock fans with quitter fans and it made a real nice difference. Those stock fans were noisy. Not really a problem when the system is running, especially when cranked up, but they could still be heard during quite scenes, even though they are in the small closet room back behind me. I kind of got used to the fan noise, but still not cool. I can just barley here them now though when I get about 1' away.

Next, I finally got some lighting put up. Not the greatest lighting in the world, but it works pretty good. I needed something quick and easy that had a remote with 'dimmable' capability. I just got some little 'puck' lights and put 3 up front that will light up the screen during non movie time, and 2 over the seats (one for each seat). I didn't know how they would work out, but they do the job pretty nicely. I'm mean, my room is pretty dark with everything covered in black velvet, so it doesn't light it up like crazy, but provides a nice warm ambient feel and allows me to walk around in there without crashing my knees into subs and stuff from it being so dark (that happened way too many times). It is a lot more inviting now and makes it feel a lot more like a theater.

So I had to do some modifying to these little WHITE pucks. Obviously with all my efforts in blacking out the place with Black Velvet to help control reflected light and distractions, white was not going to work. So I just painted them with matt black. I had to take them a part do to it, but not to big of a deal. Made a huge difference painting them black. While I was at it, I had to mod part of it to make the sensor for the remote more exposed, which definitely helped. Also, for the front 3 lights, I had to make some little black velvet covered blinders to keep from still being able to see some reflection from the screen when a movie is playing. Worked perfectly though. I'll show a pic of that as well down below.

The 'puck' lights ...

I had to solder a few wires after taking them apart one to many times

Had to drill a hole in the side to expose the remote sensor to work better

So to keep from seeing the movie screen reflections in them during the movie, I just made some little blinders covered in the same black velvet that I used everywhere else, and hung them in front of the lights. The more you get your room blacked out, the more you notice little things are not blacked out, and the 3 little lights up front were quite distracting during a movie, but this TOTALLY solved the problem. YEAH!!!

So with those updates out of the way, onto the New Room pics!! I just used my iPhone7 for all the pics. Since the room itself pretty dark, I'll start things off with a little entry way decor and some color ...

Got the Cap and Wonder Woman standing guard (yup I'm a Gal Gadot fan as you'll probably see )

White Screen Shot from just inside the closet behind my two seats

A few screen movie screen shot stills ...

MARVEL ..since I seem to love pretty much all the Marvel movies,

More MARVEL ..shot from the back corner, plus I just thought the image and coloring looked cool

HULK!!! - Something about this Hulk pic I love, so I re photo it with the new seats in the mix and it turned out a little better than before. Better color and sharpness. I don't know if the black shag carpet helped or what, but it's better with the same Iphone7 that I took the photo with last time. The black rug covering the entire floor does really help the image quality in real life though, so I guess I'm not surprised the pic turned out better as well.

A few more still screen shots. They've been posting quite a few good ones over in the Bass thread for movies, so that inspired me to try to get some. I was looking for at least one that was hopefully pretty captivating, and thought this one worked perfect for that

LUCY!! - Love this movie, has fantastic visuals, bass, and it has Scarlet Johansson

WONDER WOMAN - this is one of my favorite moments in the movie and really caught me be surprise the first time I watched it. Since I was ready for it, the bass impact was so cool!

Yep, more Wonder Woman (she's just so cool, and uh, well ya know ... )

TRON - Sitting as close as I do to the 16:9 120" screen, Tron is a TRIP when it's shifts to Imax full screen aspect! Feels like I'm right there in the movie

TRANSFORMERS:TLK
- I always love the visuals and all the shinny metal in Transformers

So now on to the room itself. It's small and not the fanciest room ever, but works. It's quite dark with all the surfaces (ceiling, walls) covered in Black Velvet and the floor covered with Black Shag carpet, which is fantastic for when the movie is going (most important to me and what I was after), but still pretty dark at other times even with the lights on. It's pretty much a 'Get Down to Business' kind of room and optimized for this. So it makes it a little tougher to see what's going on with everything, but I tried to photograph it the best I could to hopefully give a good idea.

Some fire power behind the seats ..YEAH!!

A shot from the closet where the projector, Amps, and PC are at

Not reclined ..which I never watch movies this way but thought I'd better at least get one pic this way

Oh man, it's starting to finally feel like a theater now with the lighting, new HT seats,etc, instead of just a small dark bat cave. So I'm getting real close now. Still need ATMOS, and eventually 4K, but so far I'm enjoying the SH** out of it. Sometimes I can hardly believe I finally got a dedicated room. I've waited and wanted it for a long time.

BTW, I updated the first post with all these pics (minus the puck lights), plus a few more if you want to check that out as well.
SuperFist, femi, Nalleh and 3 others like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 03-20-2018 at 11:39 AM.
post #81 of 376 Old 03-19-2018, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your having way too much fun.......

I like the little puck light idea......I purchased a Bluetooth screw in bulb for the room, but it requires a tablet or a phone......so I do not use it as often as when new.

SBuger likes this.

post #82 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 349 Post(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 3716
Wow, amazing pics, Buge

Love your room and setup, i can only imagine the good times you have watching movies in here
SBuger likes this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #83 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Those screenshots are amazing. What camera were you using? At first I thought you had just posted screenshots from the movie not actual pictures of your screen.
SBuger likes this.

My Theater Build: The Underground Apolkalypse Theater
Marantz SR7010, Monolith 7 Amplifier, Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Epson 5040ub, Oppo UHD-203 Player, Xbox One, nVidia Shield
Atmos 7.3.4 - Polk 2x RTiA9, CSiA6, 2x FXiA6, 2x RTIA3, 4x 70-RT
PowerSoundAudio XS30, Sunfire 2x - HRS-12 12" Subwoofers
post #84 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Your having way too much fun.......

I like the little puck light idea......I purchased a Bluetooth screw in bulb for the room, but it requires a tablet or a phone......so I do not use it as often as when new.
lol ..yeah lots of fun too, but I tell ya, trying to get some decent photos can be trying at times and kind of started feeling like work after a while. I'm glad I spent the time on it, I was needing a bunch of new photos ...but I'm glad that's over though and can now get back to movie watching and fine tuning

Those little puck lights worked out a lot better than I though they would. I was hopeful, but still wasn't sure. I at least wanted to give them a try first.
biga6761 likes this.

post #85 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siuengr View Post
Those screenshots are amazing. What camera were you using? At first I thought you had just posted screenshots from the movie not actual pictures of your screen.
Hey thanks siuengr!! Actually I just used my iPhone 7 for all the photos. Surprisingly, it seems to do a great job for the most part and am pleased with how the screenshots turned out. Pics from the Iphone can get a little grainy/noisy in some of the dark areas of the room and chairs sometimes, but other than that, I'm pretty impressed with it and is WAY easier to take photo's with compared to using my older Nikon D200 on a tripod. That would be the best way, but I don't have a whole lot of room for moving the tripod around etc. The one pic I did take with the D200 though was the straight on white screen shot with the lights shining down on it. It definitely did a better job than the iPhone7.

Damn nice looking theater you have BTW!! Amazing!!

post #86 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hey thanks siuengr!! Actually I just used my iPhone 7 for all the photos. Surprisingly, it seems to do a great job for the most part and am pleased with how the screenshots turned out. Pics from the Iphone can get a little grainy/noisy in some of the dark areas of the room and chairs sometimes, but other than that, I'm pretty impressed with it and is WAY easier to take photo's with compared to using my older Nikon D200 on a tripod. That would be the best way, but I don't have a whole lot of room for moving the tripod around etc. The one pic I did take with the D200 though was the straight on white screen shot with the lights shining down on it. It definitely did a better job than the iPhone7.

Damn nice looking theater you have BTW!! Amazing!!
Thanks, I need to get some updated pics for my theater. I can believe I haven't posted any screenshots. I think I posted one before I had everything setup. I took a lot of pictures on my Canon DSLR when I was trying to compare HDR quality but haven't posted any of them. Your pictures look amazing. The Lucy picture got me. That is one of my "go tos" to check image quality. I really need to watch it all the way through again.

post #87 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I need to get some updated pics for my theater. I can believe I haven't posted any screenshots. I think I posted one before I had everything setup. I took a lot of pictures on my Canon DSLR when I was trying to compare HDR quality but haven't posted any of them. Your pictures look amazing. The Lucy picture got me. That is one of my "go tos" to check image quality. I really need to watch it all the way through again.
Thanks, that Lucy pic was just what I was looking for, I just didn't know it until I found it LOL. Somehow had forgotten about that particular scene in the movie.

Cool, I'm sure your Canon DSLR does a damn nice job for sure. I'll look forward to seeing your updated theater pics and screenshots! I never get tired of seeing good screen shots
biga6761 likes this.

post #88 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Wow, amazing pics, Buge

Love your room and setup, i can only imagine the good times you have watching movies in here
Thanks Nalleh!!

It's definitely fun watching movies in the new room. I feel very fortunate that it worked out like it did.

post #89 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, that Lucy pic was just what I was looking for, I just didn't know it until I found it LOL. Somehow had forgotten about that particular scene in the movie.

Cool, I'm sure your Canon DSLR does a damn nice job for sure. I'll look forward to seeing your updated theater pics and screenshots! I never get tired of seeing good screen shots
What timestamp was that scene in Lucy, or somewhere close? Hopefully you are just enjoying your theater. I feel like I spend half of my time enjoying it, and half the time tweaking something that I probably doesn't need to be tweaked anymore.
SBuger likes this.

post #90 of 376 Old 03-20-2018, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What timestamp was that scene in Lucy, or somewhere close? Hopefully you are just enjoying your theater. I feel like I spend half of my time enjoying it, and half the time tweaking something that I probably doesn't need to be tweaked anymore.
Time Stamp for that shot in LUCY is 1:12:29 at the beginning of chapter 18. It only lasts about 1 second right after it shows that she is using 70% brain capacity. It happens quick but is way cool, her eyes start changing color from blue.

Well kind of ...yes really enjoying the theater, but that said ...I'm a tweaker by nature and sometimes do a fair amount of it. So I hear you on that.

I cant help but to tweak sometimes, especially because I've had to change seating, add kickers, etc to the mix and had to re run Audyssey a lot. But after an Audy cal, I always tweak more to get things like I want them, then fine tune here and there over time. I do really enjoy that too though, so its not like its taking away from my theater time enjoyment. But since I've had the new room up and running, I've thoroughly enjoyed quite a few movies without tweaking

But I'm an avid movie clip demo'er as well, and enjoy that just as much or more than full movies. I demo for short 30 minute sessions everyday or whatever I can fit it to get my HT and bass fix. I've got all my BR's in MKV format on an external disc that I connect to my Oppo. Makes it quick and easy to jump around and get to whatever I want fast. Makes demoing easy and fun. This is when I'll usually fine tune and tweak a little bit if I feel the need. That could be FR either on the VNF or FF subs, levels on the MAs and or BK LFEs, levels on the subs themselfs and/or all of the above among other things. These are usually minor tweaks but can make a real big difference sometimes. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to all this stuff, and is probably a curse, but I do love it!!

That said, I'm getting real close to having it just like I want it (lol yeah right I've said that before )
siuengr and biga6761 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page