SBuger's New Dedicated Home Theater Room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 587Likes

post #1 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 395 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 4379
SBuger's New Dedicated Home Theater Room

Updated 7/29/2019: Added a 4K HDR projector and other fun HT goodies, Xbox One X and Apple TV 4K. Lots of Pics and impressions of it all HERE

Updated 6/12 & 26/2019: Part 2 & 3 to last update - added updated FR and final thoughts with BOSS sub riser in the system HERE and HERE

Updated 6/4/2019: Part 1 - Added a new BOSS tactile response riser to my system. LOTS of pics with different versions that I tried...you can find that post HERE

Updated 3/5/2019: Added two more 18" DIY sealed subs, a 3rd seat, and two more Crowson MA's. LOTS of pics ...you can find that post HERE

-------------------------

YES ..I finally got a dedicated room for my Home Theater!! I've always wanted one for as long as I can remember. I previously had my HT setup in the Living Room. I put a lot of work into that setup and had it about as good as I could get it for a living room. My old thread for that setup can be found HERE (sorry all the images on that page are not showing and haven't had a chance to fix it yet)

The new dedicated room!! YAY!!

So here it is:

Room Size:
1400 cuft (13'x13'x8') sealed room on a suspended floor

Equipment:
AVR/Players
Denon AVR-X6300H
Oppo UDP-203
Xbox One X
Apple TV 4K

Video
Epson 5040UB 4K Projector
SeymourAV 16:9 120" Retractable AT Screen

Speakers
KEF Q Series in a 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos configuration
- Q900's (Front - Left, Center, and Right)
- Q100's (Surrounds & Heights)

Subs/TT's
DIY Stereo Integrity DS4-18's (x4) & DIY Dayton UM22-18's (x2)
Buttkicker LFE (x4)
Crowson Shadow 8 Motion Actuators (x6) - 2 per seat
Subwoofer Riser with (x6) 12" JBLs (Morphed from BOSS, but no Isolators & letting carpet & pad seal it)

Amps/External PEQ
Inuke6000DSP (x3)
Buttkicker BKA1000-N Power Amp (x4)
MiniDSP 10x10HD

Seating
Pembroke HT Design (x3)

Treatments
GIK corner bass traps in the rear corners floor to ceiling. Front wall covered with 2" Roxul Rockboard 80 and the first reflections on the side walls for the front L,C, and R speakers are done with 1" OC703. Also all walls and ceiling covered with SY Triple Black Velvet + a black shag rug over the light colored carpet (all for video PQ and distraction free viewing, not for sound treatment). To help liven the room back up a little from all the velvet, GIK Alpha 6A's with 2a scatter plates on the back wall as well as 8 GIK Gridfusors - 6 on the ceiling and 2 on rear cack walls.

Overview
With my previous setup in the living room, I became a HUGE fan of VNF (Very Near Field) subs + Tactile Transducers and Crowsons MA's. So I pretty much set it up the same way in this new room with a sealed 18" VNF behind each of the two seats and the other 2 sealed 18's Far Field (if you can call them that in this small room), + the 2 BK LFE's and 2 Crowsons MA's per seat as well. No way was I giving these up!!!! I'm still amazed at what subs with drivers facing into the back of your seat as close as you can get them will do for Slam/Impact and Tactile Response when it comes to the bass in movie soundtracks.

Its a pretty small room at around 1400 cuft, but is working out great. I love it and is so nice to finally have my setup in a dedicated room. I pretty much blacked out the entire theater for the best image quality possible with no light reflections. I got the idea from the "Theater Blackout" thread. I'm in awe of what blacking out the room did for the Picture Quality. Contrast, Black Levels, Shadow Detail, and Brightness went way up and helped tremendously compared to what I was used too. Also, it's really cool to have the image look like it's floating in black space. When the movie is going, I pretty much see nothing but Image, which is one of the things I was after.

I set pretty close to a 16:9 120" AT screen, so it feels huge and very immersive. Eyes to screen are about 7' exactly in recline mode. Yes it's breaking the "Rules", but feels just about right to me on the majority of content ....not overwhelming, just IMMERSIVE.

The Room
So first up, the room itself. It's small and not the fanciest room ever, but it works. It's quite dark with all the surfaces (ceiling, walls) covered in Black Velvet and the floor covered with a Black Shag Rug, which is fantastic for when the movie is going (most important to me and what I was after), but still pretty dark at other times even with the lights on. It's pretty much a 'Get Down to Business' kind of room and optimized for this. So it makes it a little tougher to see what's going on with everything, but I tried to photograph it the best I could to hopefully give a good idea.

Some fire power behind the seats ..YEAH!!

A shot from the closet where the projector, Amps, and PC are at

Not reclined ..which I never watch movies this way but thought I'd better get at least one photo like this

Here is a shot of the back part of the room with all the surrounds, top front and top rear heights (for 7.1.4 Atmos) with room treatments, plus my little area in the back where I keep my PC, amps, and projector at (which worked out perfectly to give me more throw distance that was needed with my current projector).

Lighting
I put 3 lights up front that can light the screen and 2 lights above the two seats (1 above each), but had to make Black Velvet blinders to hang in front of front 3 lights so that I can't see the reflections in them during the movie. Having everything else blacked out, this was quite distracting, but this TOTALLY solved the problem.

Blackout
So I had to take the door of to get the black shag rug in for the final touches in the blackout process, so I took a few pics when I did that that will give another perspective. Also shows how shaggy the black shag rug is. It makes the room feel pretty cozy and really helps finish off the blackout process with everything else covered in SY Triple Black Velvet. It also helped quite a bit with PQ and total immersion from whats on the screen only. I guess I just didn't realize how much a light colored floor can light things up and take away from the visual impact, even with everything else covered in black already.

L,C,R Speakers are behind the drop down AT screen ...

Cozy Black 'Shag' Rug ...and surprisingly, it's just almost as dark as the Triple Black SY Velvet!

FR (Frequency Response)
So in a room this small, I was able to get pretty flat down to 5 Hz, which was cool. A square room made it kind of tough, but with three locations and multiple subs I was able to get a pretty flat response with speakers crossed at 90 Hz

With the MultEQ Audessey Editors App and roll off #2 my FR is pretty flat across the board with that 2k dip - MidRangeComp that Audy puts in (which can be enabled or disabled for any of the speakers with the Editors App). Also I'm running a very slight rising house curve. RED is All Subs Only (because it's so easy to get this reading now since I've switched to HDMI for REW on the mac) then varying sub boosts combined with Left, Center, and Right front channels. I tend to run my subs like the ones with about 12-15db boost above the speakers (with no DEQ) on the majority of movie material.

TR (Tactile Response)
Now for the TR - I'm a tactile junkie (I should probably be in some sort of rehab for it lol). I like a lot of it. Besides the VNF subs right behind the seats with the drivers firing into them, I like Transducers and Crowson MAs as well. I love what they can do all combined together - it creates a pretty darn power synergy, and continues on with the 'Intense' thing for movies that I love and was after. I run 2 Buttkicker LFE's and 2 Crowson Shadow 8 MA's per seat, a sealed 18" behind each seat, + 2 more sealed 18's Far Field (if you can call them that in this small room), plus I'm on a suspended floor. Probably overkill, but that kind of seems to happen around this place. I really like both the Crowsons and the BK's, but for different reasons. So I just run them both! With 2 BK's bolted directly to the frame under the seat, it can give me the feeling of being on a trampoline when cranked up, which I LOVE!! I run and love the Croswon MA's as well. The BK LFE's and Crowson MA's mix very well together IMO, which I think is awesome and can get what each have to offer (a best of both worlds kind of thing).

Here's a few pics of the seats, BK LFE's, Crowson MA's and VNF subs setup

And a shot from the front underneath the seat

A few older pics
So here are a few pics that I took along the way getting the room ready. Since my entire room is pretty much blacked out now with the Black Velvet, it's kind of hard to see what's what going on in the pics sometimes. These show the speakers and locations etc a little better with the walls completely bare before I did any treatments or black velvet. This setup was really fun with only one recliner with the subs surrounding me for a little while. I hit the image limit per post so you can see the images if your interested in this post HERE (sorry all the images on that page are not showing and haven't had a chance to fix it yet)

More Pics and Other Stuff
A little entry way decor and some color. All photo's were taken with my iPhone7

Got Wonder Woman (yup I'm a Gal Gadot fan as you'll probably see) and the Cap standing guard

White Screen shot from just inside the closet (where the amps, projector, and PC are at) behind my two seats

A few Movie Screen Shot Stills ...

MARVEL ..Since I seem to love pretty much all the Marvel movies

MARVEL ..Another ..back corner shot, plus I just thought the image and coloring looked cool

HULK!!!

LUCY!! - Love this movie, has fantastic visuals, bass, and it has Scarlet Johansson! I was looking for a still shot capture that was captivating ..I was thrilled when I came across this! This one feels pretty darn cool sitting right in front of it on the big screen and fills up a huge portion of my vision.

WONDER WOMAN - this is one of my favorite moments in the movie and really caught me be surprise the first time I watched it. Since I was'nt ready for it, the bass impact and what happened was so cool!

Yep, more Wonder Woman (she's just so cool, and uh, well ya know ... )

TRON: LEGACY - Sitting as close as I do to the 16:9 120" screen (7' eyes to screen when reclined), Tron is a TRIP, especially when it shifts to IMAX full screen aspect! This movie brings the bass too, and is one of my favorites. It really does feel like I'm right there in the light cycle battle. A lot of other movies make me feel like I'm right there as well, but Tron in particular somehow manages to push it to the next level and make me feel even more there, like right there inside the movie experiencing it or something. It's kind of freaky sometimes, but I love it, and is tough to describe they way it makes me feel. It's like nothing I've experienced in Home Theater quite like this before. Besides just being close to a real big screen and no other distractions because of all the velvet blackouts, I really do think its partially the way the movie is filmed (graphics style and editing, etc) with all the NEON colored lights, the way they flow fluidly on the screen a lot of times, along with the numerous silky smooth pans. It all just seems to just add up to that feeling of being right there in it. I think Tron is probably my favorite movie for making me feel this way. And it feels this way in a large majority of the movie, not just the light cycle scenes. The last part of the movie where they are doing a lot of flying is pretty crazy feeling.

TRANSFORMERS:TLK - I always love the visuals and all the shiny metal in Transformers

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY II ((3D)) Yup, I'm a big 3D fan as well! This bubble scene is one of my favorites for 3D. It switches to 1:85:1 full screen aspect a lot of the time which works good on my screen (since it's 16:9). The bubbles feel like they are right out in front of me and I could reach out and touch them, or even might float into me! If you look in the bottom right image, it looks pretty crazy. The worse it looks when your 3D glasses are off like that, the better the 3D usually is

Listening Habits and what I tried to achieve with this room and setup
I'm really into and LOVE movies, so I mainly use my system for this only. I've tried my best to optimize this room and setup for such. I watch a lot of movies and also am an avid movie Demo'er (I'm addicted to it, and is a rush for me). A lot of times it feels Euphoric, kind of like a drug I guess you could say. So besides just watching the movies, I like to demo a little bit everyday (if I can fit it in) to get my Home Theater movie and bass "FIX" These are usually just short sessions and is one of my favorite things to do, and probably always will be. I have all my Blu Ray movies ripped to MKV lossless files (except for the 3D movies) and put on an external drive. I just connect it to my Oppo player, and it works so fast and easy to get to whatever movie and/or section I want when it's demo time. Not the fanciest thing, but works great.

I love intensity and realism when it comes to the Home Theater experience. The more I can feel like I'm actually in the movie experiencing everything, the more I love it. This means video immersion, bass and tactile energy, surround sound, and total envelopment as a whole with no distractions. The blacking out of the room, plus the FarField, Very NearField subs, Crowson MAs and Buttkicker LFEs, 'Big Screen' with seating pretty close for great video immersion, all really come together to give me what I was after. Of course it took quite a bit of fine tuning and experimenting along the way to get it to feel natural, yet still very intense and realistic as well (to me anyway), but was worth the time and effort to get it there.

Also one of the things I love most about the way I have it setup with the VNF (Very Near Field) subs + the small army of BK LFE's and Crowson MA's, is that I'm able to get the kind of Slam/Impact and Tactile intensity from the bass that I crave (pretty extreme intensity sometimes, which I love), even at fairly moderate to low listening levels. At night I can only get away with listening at about -25mv or so (but bass and tactile can still feel pretty intense because of the VNFs, MAs, and BK LFEs, which is way cool and keeps it fun and exciting). During the day I listen louder, but still not at extreme SPL levels. I rarely get over -15 to -10 Master Volume (which can still seem pretty darn loud in this small room), although I do run my subs quite hot most of the time (usually anywhere from 10db to 20db hot, depending on the movie). I can adjust this fast and easy on the fly whenever I feel the need. I feel that the way the bass levels are mixed in some of these movies, sub trim levels just need a little (or a lot occasionally) adjustment sometimes to get the absolute most balanced, clean and powerful sound and feel out of the track. I have no problems doing this, as I'm not really a set a forget it kind of guy anyway (I'm kind of a tweaker by nature I think lol). I'm cool with that, although I know most folks 'are' the set and forget kind. I'm a perfectionist sometimes (or most of the time) when it comes to this stuff (its probably a curse, but I deal with it) and just feel the need to adjust on the fly when need be (quick and easy).

But anyway, what I was trying to get at was that I can achieve the level of bass intensity (slam/impact and Tactile Response) that I crave without having to kill my ears with extreme SPL levels in the process. It keeps movie watching and demoing fun without hurting my ears and hopefully not pissing too many of my neighbors off, and still be able to get what I desire.

Final Thoughts
The room is really getting there now. It was quite a bit of work and I still have a few things to add (like a few more acoustical treatments and a 4K projector eventually, maybe even a 3rd seat, although a 3rd will be tight in this small room but will put 1 seat back to dead center in the sweet spot for me, instead of having to share dead center and splitting the difference with two seats). It was a LOT of fun getting the room ready and things set up. I'm loving it so far and is everything I had hoped a dedicated room could be. Hopefully I'll continue to enjoy it for many years to come!

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 10-19-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 05:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Great job. Looks like a one man palace. Not sure you have any reason to ever leave that room!!!!!
SBuger, leadliner, mkohman and 3 others like this.
post #3 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
I concur, great job. Its so good to see you go dedicated and will be watching intently at this room's progress. Performance is off the chart.
SBuger likes this.

Last edited by coolrda; 11-16-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Great job. Looks like a one man palace. Not sure you have any reason to ever leave that room!!!!!
Thanks Frohlick! At the moment yes, a one man show for sure LOL. I don't know how long I can get away with that though with only the one chair, the wife and daughter are gonna want a place to sit for some movie time pretty soon I'm sure. Good excuse to get some HT chairs like I've always wanted though I guess
unretarded likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #5 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
I concur, great job. Its so good to see you go dedicated and will be watching intently as this room's progress. Performance is off the chart.
Thanks Dave! Ok I've got my thread going, you need to get yours started as well like we were talking about, cause your room and setup is freakin awesome and was a big inspiration for mine!!
coolrda, biga6761 and unretarded like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 11-16-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #6 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 80
mating differing subwoofers

Did you have any trouble mating the ported and sealed subs attributable to phase shifts or rolloff frequencies of the different units. I have a pair of SVS 16 sealed enclosure ultras. They seem pretty good into the low teens but do not have the chest slap punch that can be present in many movies. . I also have an 18 inch JBL subwoofer in a home built 8 cubic ft enclosure tuned to about 26 cps as was done in the JBL 460 sub containing the same driver and also the same volume. I wanted to get the JBL to help out in the punch realm (40 to 90 cps ?) not the super low effects range. Any suggestions? I do have the JBL on a Crown amp with some parametric eq capabilities bridged to put out 1kw. The JBL is not a super long excursion sub 20 cps unit but does have an efficiency of 95 dB/watt at one meter). It has a max excursion of one inch. The SVS subs are at the movie screen end of the room and the big JBL is at the rear of the room about 26 feet away. I sit about 2/3 back in the room or about 14 ft from the screen(svs subs) and less than 8 ft from the JBL sub. .
SBuger likes this.

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
post #7 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
YES YES YES!

Nothing like a small dedicated room !

Due to the outstanding bass a small room offers, I find music way more enjoyable in a room of that nature for serious eyes closed listening.

Great job on blacking out the room.......blacking it out makes all the difference I think.......you are way ahead of me as I did not do the entire room yet, since I will be building out a new dedicated room soon, but it will still be pretty small approx. 40 square foot bigger than now which is 12x12.....new will be approx. 10x18 with a AT screen up front, so more like 10x16 usable.

Having a dedicated room allows you to do things you never would in a dual use living room.....or that would never get approved anyway....

A huge area is cool, but I like the feel of a smaller space.....

I am not sure your plans, but I went with carls progrey screen as it just staples to the wall so it gives you maximum viewing distance and size........I will be getting rid of mine in favor for a AT spandex screen as I want a AT screen. Not sure your PL or throw distance but you might want to consider a huge spandex screen for the biggest picture possible and AT qualities........or leave alone how you have it if happy..... I have mine at the max picture size it will do, almost 140 diagonal at approx. 9 foot eye to screen distance.......I wanted 150, but that would require cutting a peep hole into the closet to get the additional PJ distance. If I was not planning on a new room, I would do that for sure, especially for 3d, but for regular as well.......

Great job !
SBuger likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #8 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So whats your final thoughts on concrete VS suspended floor ?

My take is with enough firepower and TT`s, it is a mute point........it is going to take a HUGE amount of subs and structural floor movement to equal a couple VNF`s and some good TT`s........I do not think you could get that kind of action thru the floor without structural damages.....LOL

I know my cheap clark with a single ht 18 behind the seat on a concrete floor is really moving things. I am just not sure it is even possible to get that much action on a suspended floor with subs 6 to 12 foot away.

I have never felt big/lots of subs on a suspended floor ?

The reason I am so intent on the difference is that in my new room, I could do a suspended floor over the concrete....I guess a decoupled floor would be the better term, but I am not even sure I would notice the difference due to running a TT and a VNF . The second row on the riser will benefit I am sure as it will not have VNF`s or TT`s..........
SBuger likes this.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #9 of 372 Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Thanks Frohlick! At the moment yes, a one man show for sure LOL. I don't know how long I can get away with that though with only the one chair, the wife and daughter are gonna want a place to sit for some movie time pretty soon I'm sure. Good excuse to get some HT chairs like I've always wanted though I guess

Having had 2 sets of dedicated recliners now, I would drive up to 2 hours away to sit in my next set first and bring a sack lunch, because 10 minutes in them has no meaning on how my back feels after 2 to 6 hours on them.

I am in them now as I have my computer ran thru the PJ, I use it for everything, my living room tv has been off for over 8 months now as I borrowed the surge protector everything was wired to in the front room ....LOL

Upside is the living room stays nice and clean and organized as it gets no use.........

Downside is these HT recliners........I am not the sure the ones I have are meant for sitting in all the time hours on end.

So I will be camping out in the ones I plan to buy next time to make sure they cut it.......I am eying the ones like Steve Callas got for his theater.......oversized singles, my new ones are standard width and are not fun for long and not conductive for having a lady sit with you.......the last ones were about 8 inches wider and while not oversized or a double recliner they were big enough to allow a lady to snuggle with you or to just sprawl out and relax.

Everyones preferences are different, I just thought I would mention my observations of dedicated HT seats......

One set is 25 between the armrests and while fine for a solo 90 minute movie......everything else, not so good. The others are 27 inches between the arm rests and that 2 inches is a amazing difference....bottom line is I would do a ton of chair setting, even if it meant making a long trip to do so....
SBuger and biga6761 like this.

post #10 of 372 Old 11-17-2017, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shenefelt View Post
Did you have any trouble mating the ported and sealed subs attributable to phase shifts or rolloff frequencies of the different units. I have a pair of SVS 16 sealed enclosure ultras. They seem pretty good into the low teens but do not have the chest slap punch that can be present in many movies. . I also have an 18 inch JBL subwoofer in a home built 8 cubic ft enclosure tuned to about 26 cps as was done in the JBL 460 sub containing the same driver and also the same volume. I wanted to get the JBL to help out in the punch realm (40 to 90 cps ?) not the super low effects range. Any suggestions? I do have the JBL on a Crown amp with some parametric eq capabilities bridged to put out 1kw. The JBL is not a super long excursion sub 20 cps unit but does have an efficiency of 95 dB/watt at one meter). It has a max excursion of one inch. The SVS subs are at the movie screen end of the room and the big JBL is at the rear of the room about 26 feet away. I sit about 2/3 back in the room or about 14 ft from the screen(svs subs) and less than 8 ft from the JBL sub. .
I'm actually running my 'Johnny' (ported) sub up front farfield in sealed mode at the moment to go with my other sealed 18's NF. I just stuffed the ports and set then limiter on the Inuke amp to avoid over excursion on the driver since the box is a little bigger. Seems to work great doing this. But I have messed around a little bit with running it in its normal ported mode as well. It does need some work to get the phase differences of the two to line up. I got them lined up as well as I could by using an HPF with the different BW oct filters with in the miniDSP and worked pretty well. Although that said, whether in sealed or ported mode, my square room made it tough to get the Farfeild and Nearfield subs working together because of room modes and cancellation issues. That can be trying on its own sometimes, not to mention trying to get the phase differences of sealed and ported subs to line up. I got it to work out ok, even when I run it ported, but wasn't the easiest in this square room, along with where my seating location has to be.

About your Mid Bass, it can be tough to get and hard to figure out sometimes. What I've found, if at all possible, try not to have any dips in your FR in that very important 50-80hz region. I'm sure that's obvious and something you probably already know, but thought I would mention it anyway. It can be bad news for feeling the Mid Bass in the chest if you have a null or big dip somewhere in that region. If your FR is pretty good in this region though and is still lacking, my suggestion would be to try to get one of your subs (or an MBM) as close to you as you can, preferably right behind your seat with the driver facing into you if possible. You'll probably have the best chance at feeling the mid bass with it positions like this if you can make it fit. And again, try to get rid of any dips/nulls in that all important MB region if you can.

If you do want to try a sub behind your seat to help mid bass punch but don't have much room for it, you may try a Behringer 1200d like a lot of folks are using. I use one as well. Its pretty small and is very effective. If your interested, you can find some info on it and quite a few folks that integrated one or more of them in the thread here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...-response.html

Or maybe something from the diysoundgroup site. Those would probably work fantastic as well, or even better.
biga6761 likes this.

post #11 of 372 Old 11-17-2017, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
YES YES YES!

Nothing like a small dedicated room !

Due to the outstanding bass a small room offers, I find music way more enjoyable in a room of that nature for serious eyes closed listening.

Great job on blacking out the room.......blacking it out makes all the difference I think.......you are way ahead of me as I did not do the entire room yet, since I will be building out a new dedicated room soon, but it will still be pretty small approx. 40 square foot bigger than now which is 12x12.....new will be approx. 10x18 with a AT screen up front, so more like 10x16 usable.

Having a dedicated room allows you to do things you never would in a dual use living room.....or that would never get approved anyway....

A huge area is cool, but I like the feel of a smaller space.....

I am not sure your plans, but I went with carls progrey screen as it just staples to the wall so it gives you maximum viewing distance and size........I will be getting rid of mine in favor for a AT spandex screen as I want a AT screen. Not sure your PL or throw distance but you might want to consider a huge spandex screen for the biggest picture possible and AT qualities........or leave alone how you have it if happy..... I have mine at the max picture size it will do, almost 140 diagonal at approx. 9 foot eye to screen distance.......I wanted 150, but that would require cutting a peep hole into the closet to get the additional PJ distance. If I was not planning on a new room, I would do that for sure, especially for 3d, but for regular as well.......

Great job !
Thanks unretarted!

Yeah might as well wait until you get your new room to totally black it all out (I'm sure it'll be great!) You mentioning to me about using black velvet for all walls, ceiling and floor in the VS thread a while back was the last little push I needed to do my room this way I had already been thinking about doing that instead of the flat black paint for part of it. And yes, I really do think it makes all the difference. In fact, I just cant hardly get over what it has done for the PQ, along with no distractions. I can only imagine what one of the top end 4K projectors would look like in a totally blacked out room. Now that I've experienced it, I don't think I could ever go back. Kind of like having the VNF subs, once experienced, it ruins you and ya cant go back .

LOL, yep ...this would have never went over in the living room with black velvet on the ceiling and everywhere. It had to be in dedicated room and one more reason for me making the transition to this room.

Cool, I think you'll like an AT screen. It's really nice having your speakers behind the screen for various reasons. Thanks for the idea on the spandex screen. It would have been a great option if I couldn't have put my projector in the closet to get more throw distance. I think the min throw for a 120" screen on the Epson 5030 that I have is like 12.7' or something. So the closet worked out just right if I wanted to use my AT screen with speakers behind it. I'm pretty limited on where my seating has to go, because not only of the small room with the screen being out away form the wall 2-3' to allow for the sub and speakers, but because of my VNF subs that I have to have behind my chair as well. That means the seat(s) have to be out from the back wall about 2' or so as well.

Sounds just about right with your 140" (or even 150") diagonal with your eyes to screen at 9'. I'm sure it feels/seems quite large and immersive! That is something that I wanted as well. I was 9.5' away from my 120" screen in my last setup in the living room, but wanted to be closer so it would be bigger, but didn't want the couch moved out into the living room any more than it was. So up in this new room, I messed with it quite a bit to get that exact feel/size that I wanted. I started at about 8', then just kept inching my seat forward until I got what I was after. I ended up with eyes to screen right about at 7' even. Its pretty intense and feels just about right for my tastes. Very immersive and big feeling in scope. In 16:9, it feel absolutely HUGE. Any closer than I am now, and it's just to much and I start wanting to scoot back some. So for now, I'm really, really happy with the size for as close as my seat is to the screen. Not that a 140-150" screen wouldn't be freaking awesome, but I'd most definitely have to move my seat back some (or a lot).

One thing I haven't tried yet in this new setup, is 3D, but I'm thinking it should be pretty killer with the screen feeling as big as it does in 2D. I love 3D, and the closer and the bigger the image you can get, the better the 3D is IMO (to a certain point at least).
biga6761 and unretarded like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 11-17-2017 at 09:12 PM.
post #12 of 372 Old 11-17-2017, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So whats your final thoughts on concrete VS suspended floor ?

My take is with enough firepower and TT`s, it is a mute point........it is going to take a HUGE amount of subs and structural floor movement to equal a couple VNF`s and some good TT`s........I do not think you could get that kind of action thru the floor without structural damages.....LOL

I know my cheap clark with a single ht 18 behind the seat on a concrete floor is really moving things. I am just not sure it is even possible to get that much action on a suspended floor with subs 6 to 12 foot away.

I have never felt big/lots of subs on a suspended floor ?

The reason I am so intent on the difference is that in my new room, I could do a suspended floor over the concrete....I guess a decoupled floor would be the better term, but I am not even sure I would notice the difference due to running a TT and a VNF . The second row on the riser will benefit I am sure as it will not have VNF`s or TT`s..........
I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement right there. With a VNF right behind your seat + TT's, I think you'd get structural damages to get the same kind of action form a suspended floor to keep up with what former provides. With the VNF's + TT's, I honestly don't think I was missing anything when I was on concrete compared to now being on a suspended floor. Being reclined for movies, it does feel just a tiny bit different occasionally (a little more depth maybe), but very, very, very similar. Sometimes a bit better, and sometimes maybe not quite as good, for whatever reason on certain clips. But that could be do to other things as well, like different seating (as we've discussed before) or the way its all integrated to work together having to deal with different variables (room primary) to get the desired FR, TR, PR etc that your after.

But with that being said about them feeling very similar, I will say that I have to run my TT/MA's about 7db's higher to get close to the same intensity and feel. That could actually be the suspended floor working against the TTs/MA's (although I don't think so, but ya never know) or may be the different seating. I think mainly its my seating. My couch (when I had my setup downstairs) had a LOT of flex, and I think that really worked well with the BK's. They seem to work great with the single recliner as well, but maybe not as efficiently. That, or maybe my TA (Time Alignment) is off just a bit between the two. Although that's probably not it because with TT/MA's only, I still have to turn them up more to get close to the same feel as I did on my couch with a bunch of flex in it. It feels great though, so I really haven't wanted to dive into a bunch of testing to figure it out, which is really unlike me (I usually love that stuff). I think I'm just mainly wanting to enjoy the new room, get back to my daily demoing and get caught up on some movies that I haven't seen yet Today I did quite a lot of demoing and was so much fun. Things sounded and felt just about perfect to me. Bass (TR, Impact, envelopment etc) and overall sound and video were just about right for my preferences. I demoed at -10mv with my normal 9-15db hot subs depending on the movie. Kind of makes me not want to mess with or test anything with the VS for TA etc. But I probably should at some point to see if I can get a little more efficiency at lower gain levels out of the TT's and MA's. After a little bit of 'The Incredible Hulk" and then bumping up the MV to around -5mv on Mad Max Fury Road, my Crowson MA's got Waaaaaaaay to hot and went into protect mode and shut down. Although I know these two movies are so hard on MA's (or TT or Subs), it makes me wish Randy Crowson would make some an Ultra Hardcore beefed up Edition of the MA's that could withstand all the abuse you could throw at them without having to worry about them heating up to much and shutting down. Yeah I know most folks don't run them like that, but I guess I'm not most folks when I'm in the mood for all they can give LOL.

So anyway, I also wanted to say (before I started going off on a tangent for today's demoing session ), with that said about a suspended floor up above, if one did not use VNF's or TT or both, then I think it could really help a lot, especially if ones seating didn't recline and feet were on the floor. But if reclined and you use VNFs and TT's, they are just so darn hard to compete with. In fact IMO, suspended floor cant even come close, but is still cool.

So about you building some type of suspended floor over the top of your concrete, I don't know if it would even be worth it for you to mess with putting that kind of floor in compared to just concrete. You may ask @coolrda 's opinion on it as well, since he put down wood flooring over his concrete. As you know, he uses VNF and Crowsons MAs as well. Last I heard, he did like it more compared to just concrete. So it may be worth it for you to do.
biga6761 and unretarded like this.

post #13 of 372 Old 11-17-2017, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Having had 2 sets of dedicated recliners now, I would drive up to 2 hours away to sit in my next set first and bring a sack lunch, because 10 minutes in them has no meaning on how my back feels after 2 to 6 hours on them.

I am in them now as I have my computer ran thru the PJ, I use it for everything, my living room tv has been off for over 8 months now as I borrowed the surge protector everything was wired to in the front room ....LOL

Upside is the living room stays nice and clean and organized as it gets no use.........

Downside is these HT recliners........I am not the sure the ones I have are meant for sitting in all the time hours on end.

So I will be camping out in the ones I plan to buy next time to make sure they cut it.......I am eying the ones like Steve Callas got for his theater.......oversized singles, my new ones are standard width and are not fun for long and not conductive for having a lady sit with you.......the last ones were about 8 inches wider and while not oversized or a double recliner they were big enough to allow a lady to snuggle with you or to just sprawl out and relax.

Everyones preferences are different, I just thought I would mention my observations of dedicated HT seats......

One set is 25 between the armrests and while fine for a solo 90 minute movie......everything else, not so good. The others are 27 inches between the arm rests and that 2 inches is a amazing difference....bottom line is I would do a ton of chair setting, even if it meant making a long trip to do so....
Thanks for sharing your experience with the chairs.

I hear ya, if I could drive 2 hours or even a little more around here to check out some chairs just to see and get a feel for them I would, but nothing like that around here. I could definitely see where a bigger chair might be good for you if you like having your girl close or in the same seat with you for movie time or even just to sprawl out a little more and relax like your were saying. So a bigger chair or maybe enve a love seat style HT chair.

I'm struggling a little bit on pulling the trigger on some seats, but will need to do it pretty soon probably. I really do want and need 3 seats in this room. Also, as we've discussed before, they can make quite a difference in performance and the way the TR feels, as well as size and comfort like your talking about now as well.

I think the biggest thing I'm struggling with is that I'm just not sure how I'll be able to make my BK LFE's work with most HT seating. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be able to give them up very easily if I cant get them mounted into or right behind the back of the frame somehow and still feel good. I really do like them damn BK LFE's. I wish I didn't, but I do LOL.

I think I'll probably end up with a row of 3 'Pembrokes' like coolrda or the Seatcraft Sonomas and just take my chances ordering them online. Some of the testing he has done on his (objectively and subjectively) show they give some great TR with the MA's (at least with them in a certain location), as well as being comfortable for long periods of time (like 6 hours or more at a time IIRC).

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to ask you @coolrda , if I end up with 3 of the 'Pembrokes' (with arm rests for each seat), with having to position them like you showed in the Crowson thread a while back (not under the arms rests, but more inward on the frame), do you think I would need 2 per seat (six total)? I was originally planning on only 4 all together - one on each outer leg under the armrests (on the back of chair) for the two outside seats, and then the middle seat sharing the other two with the outside seats, making each chair have two on each back corner basically (if that makes sense). Or I guess I could put two under the middle MLP chair, and only one under each outside chair.
biga6761 likes this.

post #14 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 342 Post(s)
Quoted: 2699 Post(s)
Liked: 3692
Great room, man. I’ve been meaning to comment on your setup earlier, and now that you finally have a proper thread, i can go ahead

This room has it all, blacked out, PJ & screen, farfield and nearfield subs, Crowsons AND Buttkickers and proper setup. This has to be close to nirvana on all the senses

Very nice job, and enjoy watching movies

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #15 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Installing the wood floor in the room was strictly for continuity, to match the rest of the home. Aethetically it just looks better. I'm even surprised how much I prefer it. The tactile gains are a plus but knowing what I know now I wouldn't do it for that reason only. For tactile, VNF's+MA's rule the day and nothing else is close.
SBuger, biga6761 and unretarded like this.
post #16 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Great room, man. I’ve been meaning to comment on your setup earlier, and now that you finally have a proper thread, i can go ahead

This room has it all, blacked out, PJ & screen, farfield and nearfield subs, Crowsons AND Buttkickers and proper setup. This has to be close to nirvana on all the senses

Very nice job, and enjoy watching movies
Thanks Nalleh!! Well not quite all, don't have 4K or ATMOS yet. But yes, so far it really does feel like nirvana on all the senses and something that I've dreamed about for quite some time. I guess dreams really do come true sometimes lol

Speaking of ATMOS, your setup is way cool!! I bet it sounds absolutely amazing (I'm sure the envelopment is ridiculous)!!
biga6761 likes this.

post #17 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Nalleh!! Well not quite all, don't have 4K or ATMOS yet. But yes, so far it really does feel like nirvana on all the senses and something that I've dreamed about for quite some time. I guess dreams really do come true sometimes lol

Speaking of ATMOS, your setup is way cool!! I bet it sounds absolutely amazing (I'm sure the envelopment is ridiculous)!!
Atmos is the biggest step up in audio i have done ever! Recommended ! So yeah you still have some things to improve upon, but that’s ok.

4K is more of a hit and miss, as some of the UHD’s are spectacular, and others are meh... then again bluray can be incredible good picture wise, so it is not all black and white. But now most UHD’s get the Atmos treatment, so it is a must

Thanks, i am rather happy with my setup too, and it is also constantly evolving, but it is really cool sit down and watch a good UHD with Atmos and awsome ULF, and you just find yourself smiling trough the movie, then all the work is truly worth it

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #18 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
if ya got a big budget, go check out chairs at tema.

https://www.temafurniture.com/living...recliners.html
SBuger likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #19 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
if ya got a big budget, go check out chairs at tema.

https://www.temafurniture.com/living...recliners.html
Hey Torii! Yeah no kidding huh, wow those chairs anent cheap, but I'll bet they are super comfortable and supportive. Mounting some Buttkickers on them might prove to be a bit challenging though. The Crowsons, they could just go under the supporting legs/frame pretty easy I'll bet.

Probably a little rich for my blood. I need three seats and the Pembrokes or Sanoma's are pushing it at $2,300 - 2,700. Plus I'll need more BK's and MA's for those as well. I have a feeling I'll be saving for a while longer before I get'm.

post #20 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Atmos is the biggest step up in audio i have done ever! Recommended ! So yeah you still have some things to improve upon, but that’s ok.

4K is more of a hit and miss, as some of the UHD’s are spectacular, and others are meh... then again bluray can be incredible good picture wise, so it is not all black and white. But now most UHD’s get the Atmos treatment, so it is a must

Thanks, i am rather happy with my setup too, and it is also constantly evolving, but it is really cool sit down and watch a good UHD with Atmos and awsome ULF, and you just find yourself smiling trough the movie, then all the work is truly worth it
Cool! And yeah I hear ya about the setup constantly evolving, but great to sit down and get totally immersed in a movie. It's worth it.

Yeah I've heard great things from quite a few folks around here about how good Atmos is. But that'll be a ways out since I probably need more chairs first plus those extra BK's and MAs to go with them. Oh well I guess, something to look forward to
biga6761 likes this.

post #21 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
well like my dad says, nothing beats a lazy boy. massage and heat and who knows what else they got. https://www.la-z-boy.com/b/recliners...i?No=0&Nrpp=32
SBuger likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #22 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I been eying these for a while.......

There are several models/variants.....

I am in a small room, so 73 inch width caught my eye and even when I go to my new room, 73 inches is less than the 2 singles I have now so it can stay as a front row....

https://www.houzz.com/product/104208...heater-seating

The ideal pick for those who want to experience an impressive amount features and extensive comfort. Starting with the delightful view of the contrast stitching pattern running vertically down the back, seat, and footrest. Next, place yourself in the extensive comfort provided by the power adjustable headrest, that allows you to find the upper body position that's just right for your individual needs and the chaise lounge recline that eliminates the gap between the seat and footrest so that you receive complete support from head to toe. Even more, lighted cup holders outline your drinks with a sky blue ambiance that keeps them both secure and discreetly illuminated in a darkened theater. In addition, each armrest also opens out to reveal spacious storage compartments for the placement of remotes, tray tables, reading materials, or other necessary items. Is there more? Of course! Add the armless chair with fold-down table. You can fold the center backrest forward of the fold down table seat and a beautiful burlwood table is revealed as the centerpiece. The table comes with two cupholders and ample space for trays, pads, reading materials, and more! Above the table, the middle headrest flips up to reveal an overhead lighting panel that will illuminate anything you need in the dark. A pop-up input plate just above the table comes equipped with two AC adapter ports and two USB ports, for a truly high-tech experience. With the generous inclusion of so many special features at an outstanding value, the Sigma will surely be your last stand in home theater enjoyment.
Features:
Leather Gel material
Power reclinable with button controls
Powered headrests with button controls
Drop down table with AC power & USB charging station
Hidden in-arm storage with ample space for all your remote controls and other devices
Lighted cupholders
*Fully reclined depth: 64"
SBuger and Daniel Chaves like this.

Last edited by unretarded; 11-18-2017 at 09:20 PM.
post #23 of 372 Old 11-18-2017, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Hell yeah @unretarded ....those things look badass!! Wonder how TR would be on those, specs show they weigh 400lbs Might not matter though. I wonder if you could get some insert-able armrests for that middle seat. I think HTtheater offers some for there love seat style seats that can be taken out or put back in depending on your mood or occasion. There's would probably work on these if this company doesn't offer that. A lot of times I'm just watching or demoing by myself in the middle MLP seat and kind of like armrests. My couch downstairs in my former setup didn't have any, so I would always sprawl my arms out over the rest of the couch the best I could to keep contact for better TR and connection. But, I guess its not always about the best possible TR, but sometimes it is LOL

Thanks for posting these. I can already tell, a decision is not going to be easy whenever it comes time to purchase some seats. Hurry up and get'm and let me know how you like them!
unretarded likes this.

post #24 of 372 Old 11-19-2017, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cool! And yeah I hear ya about the setup constantly evolving, but great to sit down and get totally immersed in a movie. It's worth it.

Yeah I've heard great things from quite a few folks around here about how good Atmos is. But that'll be a ways out since I probably need more chairs first plus those extra BK's and MAs to go with them. Oh well I guess, something to look forward to
You can definetly look forward to Atmos, it is awsome

It looks like you have 5.1 now with front heights? Neo:X or PLIIz ?

Not everybody can manage 7.1.4 with rear surrounds, but 5.1.4 is a must. You got to have 4 overhead speakers.

Quote:
I been eying these for a while.......

There are several models/variants.....

Wow, those look insane!! Very clever centersection with the lighting and everything. Sure would be nice to afford something like that
SBuger, biga6761 and unretarded like this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #25 of 372 Old 11-19-2017, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can definetly look forward to Atmos, it is awsome

It looks like you have 5.1 now with front heights? Neo:X or PLIIz ?

Not everybody can manage 7.1.4 with rear surrounds, but 5.1.4 is a must. You got to have 4 overhead speakers.
Cool, yep I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, right now, just 5.1 with the side surrounds + the Heights above my mains (for 7.1 I guess, but no rear surrounds). I was going to add the rear surrounds as well but they would only be about 3' or a little under behind me. Maybe that's enough room to make a difference huh? So I just did only the side surrounds mounted a little bit behind my seat and not pointed directly at me, instead of 90 degrees to my side. I like them this way a little better as it doesn't seem quite as localizable to me and a little more disperse sounding (if that makes sense). If I put up the rears in addition to the sides, I would have mounted the sides surrounds around 90 degrees to my side. Maybe I should have done this and went with the rears as well, IDK. As is it sounds pretty enveloping and I could swear that sometimes it sounds like sounds are coming from above me as well, even though I'm not Atmos yet which is pretty cool.

Yeah when I go Atmos, I definitely want 4 overhead speakers, not just 2. What your saying + everything I've read on it pretty much says the same thing about 2 vs 4 overhead speakers. I'd probably just move my heights that I have now above my mains now, closer to me on the ceiling and the other 2 pair back behind me as far as I could get them (which the back wall from my seating is about 3' from the back of my seat).

One thing I do think I would miss though is having my front heights over my mains, because I use them for channel centered dialog (that's what they call it on the Onkyos) and really helps in my setup. I used this feature when my setup was downstairs in the living room as well. It just seems to project the dialog a lot better and lifts the height size of the soundstage up a fair amount. Especially at lower listening levels, which I have to do at night. Like around -27 to -30mv (but the VNFs and MAs/TTs still make it real enjoyable thankfully). I pick the level up at night on the amount of dialog that is sent up to the heights (you can choose from 1-5). Normal listening levels I keep it relatively low at 1 and then at night I bump it to 4. Works really well without having to use dynamic volume, which I hate most of the time, and seems to work better than just bumping the center channel level up.

IDK, I'm sure I'll get around that and figure something out that works good for at night when I get the Atmos someday. One thing that I could do is replace my center channel speaker with another speaker like my tower speaker mains. They are a fair amount better than the center that I use I think. Then just move the sub that the center is now sitting on to one side or the other.

Also yes, I'm using Neo:X and PLIIz. I like both, but almost always prefer Neo:X on 7.1 mixes and PLIIz on 5.1 mixes. I've tested this a lot and prefer it this way 99% of the time, so I just change it depending what the movie soundtrack is in. I might feel differently if I had rear surrounds in the mix though, IDK.

post #26 of 372 Old 11-19-2017, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Also here is some more seating that I thought looked pretty great (although maybe not quite as cool looking as the ones you posted - those just looked bad ass) and is now on my list as well. It's only 100" wide which is good for me and has armrests between the 3 seats, with power head rests as well like the ones @unretarded posted above (which is going to be a must for me on these chairs). The others on my list (Pembrokes and Senomas) had the power headrests as well.

These do have what looks like an extra plush cushion though and that cool gel foam to help keep the seat cool. Makes me wonder how that would all translate into the TR. I know, here I go again about the TR, but it's important! LOL I bet they are damn comfortable though!

Have any of you guys experienced any HT chairs with the cool get foam in them? With these top end seats being top grain leather, heating up over time wont be near as much of a problem though from what I've heard others say. My couch that I used downstairs, which is bonded leather most definitely heats up over time, enough so that at some point it can feel like it starts to roast your back, butt, crotch area LOL. Then I have to get up and change to the seat next to me to get cooled off again ..not cool. Top grain leather should take care of this problem, and the cool gel foam would probably help as well.

Here's the those seats I'm talking about (Not sure how you embedded the image of the ones you posted above), but here is the link at least ...

https://www.houzz.com/product/569712...heater-seating

Last edited by SBuger; 11-19-2017 at 03:43 PM.
post #27 of 372 Old 11-19-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have my rears 3 feet behind me, and they work very well. The advantage of having them close, is they don’t need to be big. In fact i changed from Klipsch RS 42 to Kef 3005 rear, and they work just as well.

Another plus if you do rears, is you can move your side surrounds a bit ahead of 90 degrees to the sides, to avoid localizable the same way you now have them behind you. Kind of like «wides».

Also, i have front and rear heights in my Atmos setup(instead of top front and top rear), and it works awsome, so you can keep your front heights and your «dialog lift» (as Yamaha calls it), no worries. Just add rear heights

Yeah, i use a second center speaker above the screen as «dialog lift», it is from my second AVR center output, so i can adjust the «lift». Work beatifully.

In my pre-Atmos days i also used Neo-X for movies, but i had a 11.1 setup(wides too).

But Atmos is way better, no comparison

Nalleh’s HT
post #28 of 372 Old 11-19-2017, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have my rears 3 feet behind me, and they work very well. The advantage of having them close, is they don’t need to be big. In fact i changed from Klipsch RS 42 to Kef 3005 rear, and they work just as well.

Another plus if you do rears, is you can move your side surrounds a bit ahead of 90 degrees to the sides, to avoid localizable the same way you now have them behind you. Kind of like «wides».

Also, i have front and rear heights in my Atmos setup(instead of top front and top rear), and it works awsome, so you can keep your front heights and your «dialog lift» (as Yamaha calls it), no worries. Just add rear heights

Yeah, i use a second center speaker above the screen as «dialog lift», it is from my second AVR center output, so i can adjust the «lift». Work beatifully.

In my pre-Atmos days i also used Neo-X for movies, but i had a 11.1 setup(wides too).

But Atmos is way better, no comparison
Awesome ..thanks for the info! Maybe I'll incorporate the rears as well then! Then, when I get ready to do the Atmos, maybe I'll do what you did and keep my front heights for dialog as well. You are the king when it comes to this Atmos and multiple speaker stuff!

I may have to pick your brain about it a little more when it comes time to set it all up one of these days!

Thanks!
biga6761 likes this.

post #29 of 372 Old 11-19-2017, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sure, happy to help

PS: and don’t forget, all Atmos AVR’s also has a upmixer you can use for the non-Atmos movies in your collection, which means all your movies get played upmixed to your setup, be it 5.1.4 or 7.1.4. And the upmixer is incredible good too, so it’s a win-win.

Nalleh’s HT
post #30 of 372 Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Also here is some more seating that I thought looked pretty great (although maybe not quite as cool looking as the ones you posted - those just looked bad ass) and is now on my list as well. It's only 100" wide which is good for me and has armrests between the 3 seats, with power head rests as well like the ones @unretarded posted above (which is going to be a must for me on these chairs). The others on my list (Pembrokes and Senomas) had the power headrests as well.

These do have what looks like an extra plush cushion though and that cool gel foam to help keep the seat cool. Makes me wonder how that would all translate into the TR. I know, here I go again about the TR, but it's important! LOL I bet they are damn comfortable though!

Have any of you guys experienced any HT chairs with the cool get foam in them? With these top end seats being top grain leather, heating up over time wont be near as much of a problem though from what I've heard others say. My couch that I used downstairs, which is bonded leather most definitely heats up over time, enough so that at some point it can feel like it starts to roast your back, butt, crotch area LOL. Then I have to get up and change to the seat next to me to get cooled off again ..not cool. Top grain leather should take care of this problem, and the cool gel foam would probably help as well.

Here's the those seats I'm talking about (Not sure how you embedded the image of the ones you posted above), but here is the link at least ...

https://www.houzz.com/product/569712...heater-seating

Those look really nice !

I really like armrests for each seat as just gives every body their own space and more important keeps em out of my space.....lol

SBuger likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page