BD player fried from blackout surge? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 107
BD player fried from blackout surge?

Hi, I'm trying to make a post regarding general blackout/surge-protection and HT electronics, I "feel like" this section of the forum is better suitable than others, if I'm wrong, feel free to (re)move it if deem unfit.

My condo building suffered a really severe blackout over the weekend, over 6 hours long. What I did right was that I purchased surge protection strips and connected all my more expensive electronics through them (computers, AV receiver, TV, etc.). What I did wrong was I casually neglected to unplug the surge protection strips from the outlets when power was cut.

Once power was restored, and I'm so grateful that everything else connected to the strips still work, except my BD Player Sony x700 and a cheap LED light-strip I stuck behind the TV panel for mood lighting.

I can definitely narrow down that the LED light-strip was fried, since I have another spare set, and I could swap the interchangeable parts: power adapter, control module, to test. And the control module was definitely fried as I swapped the spare module in, the LED lights came back to life.

But I can't do that with the BD player, it remains dead, and I've left the machine unplugged overnight to drain the internals, plugged it back in the next day and to a known working outlet, remains dead.

My questions:
1. Can I be fairly certain my BD player was fried and is dead? This factors in to me negotiating with the manufacturer of the surge-protection strip that offers insurance for such occasions (definitely not worth it going thru HO insurance).
2. I have multiple (5+) electronic devices plugged into the strip, is it normal that only some of them got fried by the surge and no others? (I'm guessing some of the strip-outlets worked while others failed at protecting against the surge?)
3. I was able to fire up the rest of HT last night and watched something for about an hour, can I sleep sound at night like a baby not having to worry that any other of my HT electronics may have been damaged through the surge? Can I make a simple either-friedNdead-or-perfectly-fine 2-way assumption?

Much appreciated.

LG OLED C6
Denon X4300h 5.1.4 setup
Sony UBP-X700 (no longer waiting for DV)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page