Frohlich's new theater ("Opa's Alley") - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #31 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hey just wanted to know how you liked the scs8 for Atmos & DTS-X duty. Also could you point me via inbox right direction to find a JBL dealer to purchase them. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JVC NX5 Panasonic UB820 PC Madvr
Sliver Ticket 120' Cinema white screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 Acurus A125x5
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY) V.B.S.S.x 4(MBM)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
Hey just wanted to know how you liked the scs8 for Atmos & DTS-X duty. Also could you point me via inbox right direction to find a JBL dealer to purchase them. Thanks

I really like the SCS 8. Their 120 coverage pattern works out great. I know several other AVS members who have the same speakers and all have been very happy with them. I had a chance to change all my equipment out during this move and I changed some gear but kept the SCS8 because they are so versatile to mount and do a fantastic job.

I ordered all of mine through Full Compass (as did several other AVS members).

Good luck
post #33 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Congrats! did you get a chance to test it out yet? btw what was your previous PJ?

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Congrats! did you get a chance to test it out yet? btw what was your previous PJ?
I did have some time with it this weekend watching college football, a couple of UHD movies and some video gaming. I wrote some initial impression on the JVC thread (link below). I was coming off a Sony 695 4K/HDR projector. Overall I am very happy with the new JVC projector.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post58592554
post #35 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
I really like the SCS 8. Their 120 coverage pattern works out great. I know several other AVS members who have the same speakers and all have been very happy with them. I had a chance to change all my equipment out during this move and I changed some gear but kept the SCS8 because they are so versatile to mount and do a fantastic job.

I ordered all of mine through Full Compass (as did several other AVS members).

Good luck
+2 on these.

I now own 8 of these, because of Frohlich.
Great speaker and they will be going to my next room too for at least the overhead Atmos speakers.
Frohlich and Nexgen76 like this.
post #36 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got four scs8 coming for Atmos duty but expanding to 6 later this year with Monoprice HTP-1 for surrounds I'm going with JBL 8350. All these power by Crowns. Thanks for you guys input. I just want the best Atmos experience at home period and I'm sure these will do it.

Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)
post #37 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I got four scs8 coming for Atmos duty but expanding to 6 later this year with Monoprice HTP-1 for surrounds I'm going with JBL 8350. All these power by Crowns. Thanks for you guys input. I just want the best Atmos experience at home period and I'm sure these will do it.

Maybe you already ruled it out but have you considered the newly announced JBL Synthesis sdp55? I was also eyeing the HTP-1 but I am a JBL/Crown fan (and I am guessing you are as well based on your post above) and have been told the street price of the SDP 55 will likely be below $5k and Monoprice has a fixed price through their site so the actual out of pocket price may not be that far apart.
post #38 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 3405
Hey I like what you did in this room. You maximized every single bit of your space and shape.

You were lucky on that JVC projector also. It is so thick if it were any thicker your door wouldn't open

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #39 of 49 Old 09-24-2019, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe you already ruled it out but have you considered the newly announced JBL Synthesis sdp55? I was also eyeing the HTP-1 but I am a JBL/Crown fan (and I am guessing you are as well based on your post above) and have been told the street price of the SDP 55 will likely be below $5k and Monoprice has a fixed price through their site so the actual out of pocket price may not be that far apart.

I didn't have the SDP 55 on my radar but after seeing the CEDIA 2019 video it has MSRP of 6K. But if the street price going to be under 5K that really close to the HTP-1 after paying taxes & shipping which Monoprice doesn't give you a break on. I'm going to keep my eyes on that SDP 55 looks like everything i need in more with Dirac bass management.

post #40 of 49 Old 09-25-2019, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Hey I like what you did in this room. You maximized every single bit of your space and shape.

You were lucky on that JVC projector also. It is so thick if it were any thicker your door wouldn't open
Trust me, there was a lot of measuring before I sold the Sony and bought the JVC projector
post #41 of 49 Old 10-08-2019, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I love the minimalist approach, very clean set up! I can’t help but see the white door being black.
Frohlich likes this.
post #42 of 49 Old 10-08-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Trust me, there was a lot of measuring before I sold the Sony and bought the JVC projector
One more question which mount you went with to mount your projector I really don't want to use that pole & want mines to set close to the ceiling like yours.

post #43 of 49 Old 10-09-2019, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
I love the minimalist approach, very clean set up! I can’t help but see the white door being black.
I have thought about painting the door and trim black but we spent so much energy moving and then finishing the HT room in time for college football, I ran out of will power to do anything else. Taking it easy for a while then will pick things back up in a little while for touch up work.

Quote:
One more question which mount you went with to mount your projector I really don't want to use that pole & want mines to set close to the ceiling like yours.
I have a chief mount (RPMA281 I think). The trick is that it comes standard with a certain length extension pipe (that determines how far it hangs down from the ceiling) but you can buy any size you want at any hardware store so I bought multiple sizes and found one that fit and would hang high enough to let the door open and shut. Chief sells the extension pipes in certain sizes (3, 6, 12 inches) but the hardware store is much cheaper and as many more size options.
post #44 of 49 Old 10-09-2019, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
I just upgraded from an old Sony 1080p to the JVC RS1000, and also replaced my screen with a larger, ALR screen. Yeah, I had to do a lot of measurements (both measuring tape and laser ... love that laser) just to make sure I have enough room for the JVC. I barely made it - my throw distance is only a couple of inches more than the minimum allowed throw distance for my size screen, and I have just a foot or so distance between the back wall and the rear of the projector (enough to clean the filter in the future). JVCs' have a nice picture. Only negative for me are that they are such big/heavy beasts, but once installed, no longer an issue (although I did have to get help to install it, given its size/weight).
post #45 of 49 Old 10-09-2019, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randman View Post
I just upgraded from an old Sony 1080p to the JVC RS1000, and also replaced my screen with a larger, ALR screen. Yeah, I had to do a lot of measurements (both measuring tape and laser ... love that laser) just to make sure I have enough room for the JVC. I barely made it - my throw distance is only a couple of inches more than the minimum allowed throw distance for my size screen, and I have just a foot or so distance between the back wall and the rear of the projector (enough to clean the filter in the future). JVCs' have a nice picture. Only negative for me are that they are such big/heavy beasts, but once installed, no longer an issue (although I did have to get help to install it, given its size/weight).
Sounds like we had a similar experience as I had to move it back towards the rear wall to get enough throw for my 130 inch screen and had to mount it pretty high to get the chassis to clear the door. On a side note, this old man was able to mount it by himself...all that golf (exercise) finally paying off...or maybe its the fast food and beer
post #46 of 49 Old 10-19-2019, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Very Nice

Very nicely done. I am in the planning stages for a very similar over the garage space

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...requested.html

A few questions -

I really like the idea of the hanging screen instead of an entire AT wall. What is the material used for the 2 posts? How did you hang the screen - what/how do the 2 posts connect to the stud above the ceiling? Is there a frame of some sort between the posts and the screen?

Do the speakers show underneath the screen? Not an issue once the lights are out?

Thanks
post #47 of 49 Old 10-19-2019, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Vidman View Post
Very nicely done. I am in the planning stages for a very similar over the garage space

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...requested.html

A few questions -

I really like the idea of the hanging screen instead of an entire AT wall. What is the material used for the 2 posts? How did you hang the screen - what/how do the 2 posts connect to the stud above the ceiling? Is there a frame of some sort between the posts and the screen?

Do the speakers show underneath the screen? Not an issue once the lights are out?

Thanks
1)I used these to hang from the studs in the ceiling:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2)If you look at Seymour's website, the fine print actually talks about offering a screen frame with pre-drilled holes and the stainless steel wire to hang the screen (this is actually were I got the overall idea):

http://www.seymourav.com/screensfixed.asp

Options
While the Precision frame is a bit more limited in its flexibility, here are some common options:

Continuous top/bottom frame. For Center Stage and Glaicier screens, a spliced top/bottom frame is an attractive cost savings as standard feature. While any Precision frame can be made continuous, for Matinee screens, due to their reflective nature we strongly recommend you upgrade to the continuous top/bottom frame option. The freight trip results in a better end product.
Black Backing layer. For Center Stage screens, the cost for this option strts at $238, depending on size. Most folks don't need this, as it's usually easy to darken the surfaces behind the screen. It can be installed later if you need, using half the o-rings from your screen. Non-AT screens never need a black backing layer.

Drilled and threaded holes. We can drill and thread holes on the sides or top of the frame if you need.

Black eye bolts. For those who need to hang the screen from the ceiling, request that we drill and tap on the top of the frame, and include eye bolts.

Stainless steel cable. For a classier look than chain, we can precision cut and Nicopress® specific lengths of 0.032" diameter SS cable for you to hang your screen from.

Magnetic bottom wall pulls. Not all walls are straight, so if you'd like (or need) a pair of strong Neodymium posts that screw into the wall and pull the bottom corners, let us know.

Custom sizes Need to fit in between something? We can make your screen to any critical dimension to a 0.1" resolution. We don't charge extra for this, but simply round up to the next standard size.

3)You can see underneath the screen just a little bit. Since the paint and acoustic treatments are black behind the screen, there are almost no reflections at all.
post #48 of 49 Old 10-20-2019, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the Reply

Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I did not realize that you are using cable or wire to hang the screen. I was prepared to go down the route of building an AT wall but not necessarily looking forward to it. This looks like a very good alternative solution. I think that I am going to attempt a DIY screen so I should be able to provide for connection points at the top of the frame.

I searched for other examples with hanging from the ceiling fixed frame and was surprised that there is not a lot out there.

Did you have any other issues - i.e. movement/swaying or bowing? No need to attach to floor as well as ceiling?
post #49 of 49 Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC Vidman View Post
Thanks very much for the detailed reply. I did not realize that you are using cable or wire to hang the screen. I was prepared to go down the route of building an AT wall but not necessarily looking forward to it. This looks like a very good alternative solution. I think that I am going to attempt a DIY screen so I should be able to provide for connection points at the top of the frame.

I searched for other examples with hanging from the ceiling fixed frame and was surprised that there is not a lot out there.

Did you have any other issues - i.e. movement/swaying or bowing? No need to attach to floor as well as ceiling?
No issues at all and its only attached to the ceiling (nothing on the floor). My biggest concern going this route was it not being perfectly square on the X and Y axis but it is totally square...I measured it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page