Frohlich's new theater ("Opa's Alley") - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 09-03-2019, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2061 Post(s)
Liked: 2276
Frohlich's new theater ("Opa's Alley")

We just recently moved into a new home and building out my new theater space was a top priority. My last theater was in the basement and while I loved it, it had some inherent limitation with it being an open area to the rest of the basement and sitting on concrete slab. This new theater is finished space above a multi car garage and is sealed and sits on a wooden floor.

Equipment:
Project: JVC NX7/RS2000 (4k/HDR)
Screen: Seymour 130 XD Acoustically Transparent
LCR Speaker: JBL M2
Atmos + Surrounds: JBL SCS 8
Pre/Pro: Marantz av8802A
Subwoofers: Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18s x2
Amplifier for JBL M2: Crown DCI 8/600N
Amplifier surrounds + Atmos: Crown XLS 1502 x 4
UHD Blu Ray: Panasonic 820
Game: XBOX one X
Chairs: Palliser Wills
Rack: Sanus (sits by HT room door in adjacent room)
Sound Panels: Vicoustic
Bass Traps: Acoustimatic

Name "Opa's Alley" : Opa is German for grandpa and that is what both my girls always called my dad. He passed away this summer and this theater is for both of us to enjoy dad. I love you and miss you!!!!

Last edited by Frohlich; 09-20-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 09-03-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Sweet Dude!

I like the tribute to your dad.... brought a little tear to my eye.

Also - love how you took that door out of the equation behind the screen.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing it in a week or so!
Frohlich and Gooddoc like this.
post #3 of 49 Old 09-03-2019, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3383
Theater looks great man!
Frohlich likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 Old 09-03-2019, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Nice looking room! That seems a comfortable size for four.

Where is the equipment rack located?

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #5 of 49 Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Very nice room, enjoy it to the max!

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
post #6 of 49 Old 09-04-2019, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Well done!

What is the angle between your L/R when you sit in the money seat? They seem very tight and possible a better configuration would be to have the subs between L/R and center instead?

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #7 of 49 Old 09-04-2019, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Sweet Dude!

I like the tribute to your dad.... brought a little tear to my eye.

Also - love how you took that door out of the equation behind the screen.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing it in a week or so!
Sounds good bud. Maybe we can grab a beer and do a little fishing on the pond and do a little HT demo

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post
Nice looking room! That seems a comfortable size for four.

Where is the equipment rack located?
There is a room almost identical to the HT room on the other side of the door (this all sits above a 4 door garage and was already finished spaced that I converted for HT). I placed the rack on that side of the door in the adjacent room as I had read the Crown amps for the M2s are noisy and I am glad I did as the fan definitely kicks on and is audible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Well done!

What is the angle between your L/R when you sit in the money seat? They seem very tight and possible a better configuration would be to have the subs between L/R and center instead?
The room is roughly 18 by 14. I had to plan all this before I moved into the house based on notes and dimensions I had written down. I tried to max out the screen size and pulled it off. There is only about an inch between the screen frame and the subs. My concern with placing the M2s on the outside was not having room to angle them in properly. Have to choose your battles and your compromises
post #8 of 49 Old 09-04-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
that is sweet. looks like it was well thought out and executed.
Frohlich likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #9 of 49 Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3478 Post(s)
Liked: 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
My concern with placing the M2s on the outside was not having room to angle them in properly. Have to choose your battles and your compromises
Room looks great man. It looks like there would be plenty of room with them on the outside, forward of the screen frame, and toed in toward the seats. Drape them in black velvet with some doubles sided tape to hold the velvet from moving on the screen side. This will eliminate the reflections if they extend within the screen frame. I tried the M2s behind the screen and didn't care for it compared to outside the screen. It really opens up the imaging a lot. I would at least give it a try and see how you like it. Me thinks you will be glad you did
Frohlich likes this.
post #10 of 49 Old 09-04-2019, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 31
How do you hang speakers from the ceiling? They look big (subwoofer size ). Thanks.
post #11 of 49 Old 09-04-2019, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwz View Post
How do you hang speakers from the ceiling? They look big (subwoofer size ). Thanks.
Must be some sort of optical illusion in the pictures you are seeing. It's the screen that is hanging from the ceiling. The JBL M2s and subwoofers are sitting on the ground. No way I am hanging 130lb+ speakers from the ceiling
post #12 of 49 Old 09-04-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Well done!

So much media, so little time...
My Media Room...
post #13 of 49 Old 09-06-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Must be some sort of optical illusion in the pictures you are seeing. It's the screen that is hanging from the ceiling. The JBL M2s and subwoofers are sitting on the ground. No way I am hanging 130lb+ speakers from the ceiling
I circled the speakers I have question about. Please see attachment. They still look like hanging from the ceiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zzz.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	820.6 KB
ID:	2611844  
post #14 of 49 Old 09-06-2019, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I circled the speakers I have question about. Please see attachment. They still look like hanging from the ceiling.
Those are jbl scs8. I have four as surrounds and four for atmos. Those are my front height atmos speakers. They all attach by included brackets.
post #15 of 49 Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Those are jbl scs8. I have four as surrounds and four for atmos. Those are my front height atmos speakers. They all attach by included brackets.
I see. That's very nice. Are SCS the only speakers that come with brackets for mounting on ceiling/wall? I took a look but couldn't find more.
post #16 of 49 Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2013 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Are your left and right side surrounds located in front of your listening position?
post #17 of 49 Old 09-09-2019, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I see. That's very nice. Are SCS the only speakers that come with brackets for mounting on ceiling/wall? I took a look but couldn't find more.
There the only JBL pro speakers that I am aware of that do that (well, and the SCS 12 which are basically a larger version of the SCS 8).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Are your left and right side surrounds located in front of your listening position?
I did move them out in front of the HT seats by a little bit. It was a compromise mostly based on the width of the room at 14 feet. If i put them directly next to the HT seats then people would likely keep bumping into them as they are trying to get to the seats. My last theater I had them in a similar position relative to the seating position and it always sounded natural.
post #18 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
They do have others which are slightly smaller and look identical in shape and form, but according to JBL would not be as good of a choice for HT. https://www.jblpro.com/www/products/...2#.XXeQADZKhPY I was looking at them yesterday to try and save on space but was told to go with the scs8. Some of the control speakers could be used as they do have enough HZ range for HT. You could match the scs8 for atmos to some of their cinema line surrounds like the 8320.

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #19 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We just recently moved into a new home and building out my new theater space was a top priority. My last theater was in the basement and while I loved it, it had some inherent limitation with it being an open area to the rest of the basement and sitting on concrete slab. This new theater is finished space above a multi car garage and is sealed and sits on a wooden floor.

Equipment:
Project: Sony 695 4K/HDR
Screen: Seymour 130 XD Acoustically Transparent
LCR Speaker: JBL M2
Atmos + Surrounds: JBL SCS 8
Pre/Pro: Marantz av8802A
Subwoofers: Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18s x2
Amplifier for JBL M2: Crown DCI 8/600N
Amplifier surrounds + Atmos: Crown XLS 1502 x 4
UHD Blu Ray: Panasonic 820
Game: XBOX one X
Chairs: Palliser Wills
Rack: Sanus (sits by HT room door in adjacent room)
Sound Panels: Vicoustic
Bass Traps: Acoustimatic

Name "Opa's Alley" : Opa is German for grandpa and that is what both my girls always called my dad. He passed away this summer and this theater is for both of us to enjoy dad. I love you and miss you!!!!

Just want to say excellent speakers I am very jealous. I dont know how far you sit away from those beasts, but wanted to suggest possibly swapping the m2 with your subs location to get a wider sound stage. Getting to that 44-60 for atmos will help with imaging. They could be within tolerances and I wouldn't know just trying to help.
Frohlich and junior00027 like this.

post #20 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Just want to say excellent speakers I am very jealous. I dont know how far you sit away from those beasts, but wanted to suggest possibly swapping the m2 with your subs location to get a wider sound stage. Getting to that 44-60 for atmos will help with imaging. They could be within tolerances and I wouldn't know just trying to help.
Thank you for the suggestion. One other AVS member mentioned the same thing about trying the M2s on the outside of the screen. Truth be told, I am 95% movies, video games and blu ray concerts. I really don't listen to much 2 channel music so not sure it would benefit me that much. I just really enjoy the sound coming from behind the screen for movies.

My other potential limitation, and I can double check when I get home, is my subs actually are deep enough that they go out in front of my screen (they are deeper than the distance from my screen to the rear wall). If I put them entirely behind the screen I might have to actually move my screen forward, which is not something I want to do since I would have to use the next stud forward which would be another 16 inches.

Last edited by Frohlich; 09-10-2019 at 11:26 AM.
post #21 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Hey @Frohlich , awesome new HT. What are your thought on Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18s compare to your old JTR S2s?

Thanks,
Femi
Frohlich likes this.

(2)JTR Cap 4000's---(6) Enclosures Seal SI HT-18's---Behringer iNUKE 6000DSP--- Behringer iNUKE 3000DSP---Denon AVR-4250CI---(3)JBL 4722n---(5)Behringer Eurolive B215XL---(2)Klipsch SS-1 Surround---JVC RS500---Sony HW50es---VApex Fixed frame 135" 16:9---Sony UBP-X800---Oppo BDP-93---Toshiba HD DVD-XA2---Xbox 360---PS4---HDFURY Linker---Darbee Darblet DVP-5000---miniDSP Balanced 2x4---Harmony 1100 remote
post #22 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by femi View Post
Hey @Frohlich , awesome new HT. What are your thought on Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18s compare to your old JTR S2s?

Thanks,
Femi

Hey Femi, its good to hear from you. My generic answer is they are both excellent subwoofers.

It's honestly hard to answer because there are multiple variables at play between my old room with the JTR S2 speakers and my new room with the Mariana 18s.

1)Old room was a wide open space that opened up to the rest of the basement. New room is sealed and is 18 by 14 (so much smaller space overall)
2)Old room was a basement on cement slab. New room is above a multiple car garage and so is a suspended wooden floor.
3)New room has angled/tapered ceiling so there are fewer 90 degree angles (which is where you get hot spots and boominess from your subs).

All that being said, the new room produces more bass and is less boomy. How much of that is a function of the subs and how much is a function of the room is hard to really know but my hunch is that its the room that is better now and both subs are world class and I would be happy with either. In my old room I ran the subs hot a few DBs and in the new room I am running them neutral and getting plenty of impact (for my tastes).
femi likes this.
post #23 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. One other AVS member mentioned the same thing about trying the M2s on the outside of the screen. Truth be told, I am 95% movies, video games and blu ray concerts. I really don't listen to much 2 channel music so not sure it would benefit me that much. I just really enjoy the sound coming from behind the screen for movies.

My other potential limitation, and I can double check when I get home, is my subs actually are deep enough that they go out in front of my screen (they are deeper than the distance from my screen to the rear wall). If I put them entirely behind the screen I might have to actually move my screen forward, which is not something I want to do since I would have to use the next stud forward which would be another 16 inches.
Not music related but Dolby atmos specs for your speaker setup. They should ideally be 60 degrees off center from you for proper imaging to get that stereo effect. If they are too close together it sounds more like a sound bar. I see if you have issues with depth behind your screen then it would make sense. You could try stacking the speakers on top of the subs if needed to achieve that angled placement. Easy way to determine that is. Measure the distance from your face to your center speaker. You want your LR speakers to be that far apart or within a tolerance of .8 to 1.2 of that X distance then ted in of course. Again you may already be at that distance it just looks like they are a tad close together from the picture. Just trying to help. Hate to see works of art M2 not be dialed in perfectly. And love the other speakers in the room I may pick up 8 myself.
dwaleke and Frohlich like this.

post #24 of 49 Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonslush View Post
Not music related but Dolby atmos specs for your speaker setup. They should ideally be 60 degrees off center from you for proper imaging to get that stereo effect. If they are too close together it sounds more like a sound bar. I see if you have issues with depth behind your screen then it would make sense. You could try stacking the speakers on top of the subs if needed to achieve that angled placement. Easy way to determine that is. Measure the distance from your face to your center speaker. You want your LR speakers to be that far apart or within a tolerance of .8 to 1.2 of that X distance then ted in of course. Again you may already be at that distance it just looks like they are a tad close together from the picture. Just trying to help. Hate to see works of art M2 not be dialed in perfectly. And love the other speakers in the room I may pick up 8 myself.
The M2s are indeed special. The more I listen to them the more I appreciate what they are and what they can do. I have no idea why, but this quote popped into my head (probably because I loved that show).

femi likes this.

Last edited by Frohlich; 09-10-2019 at 07:40 PM.
post #25 of 49 Old 09-16-2019, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Did you run Audyssey from day one? also did you limit correction to a certain frequency (like 300 or 500) or did you run it full range?

how about subs? a few dbs hot after Audyssey?

Thanks!

Processor Marantz AV8805 Amps Crown DCI/N x2 CT8150 x1 Speakers JBL PRO M2 x3 708i x4 328c x6 Subs SVS SB16 x2 Screen SI 160 Slate AT 1.2 Projector Epson TW5600 Media Steiger Dynamics Ikon Cables&Chords Wireworld & Belden
post #26 of 49 Old 09-16-2019, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbolito View Post
Did you run Audyssey from day one? also did you limit correction to a certain frequency (like 300 or 500) or did you run it full range?

how about subs? a few dbs hot after Audyssey?

Thanks!
I have had the Marantz 8802A for a few years. I run Audyssey in "L/R bypass" so the L/R channels are not touched. I mainly use it to level set all my speakers and correct my subwoofers. I am eyeing a new Dirac based unit for the new year...probably either the new JBL Synthesis SDP-55 or the Monolith HTP-1. I use to run my subs a few DB hot at my old house but this new room is sealed and on a wood floor and I just leave it at default. Keep in mind the JBL M2 (which I know you have as well ), play pretty low. I have them with the 27HZ filter in the tunning files. I played them without subs once for fun and was surprised how much bass they put out on their own...sounded like the subs were on but it was just the M2s digging pretty deep and loud.
post #27 of 49 Old 09-16-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5121 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
This is a nice surprise. I found your new room looking for something else. VERY nice ...... but I miss the vacuum marks

I am sure it sounds terrific and looks great.

Enjoy!!
Frohlich likes this.
post #28 of 49 Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
This is a nice surprise. I found your new room looking for something else. VERY nice ...... but I miss the vacuum marks

I am sure it sounds terrific and looks great.

Enjoy!!
Now thats funny. And probably only 4 or 5 people on all AVS will get that remark.
post #29 of 49 Old 09-20-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Little something something showed up at the door today

femi, Balbolito and junior00027 like this.
post #30 of 49 Old 09-20-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 5121 Post(s)
Liked: 3978
Excellent. According to someone's whose eyes I trust, couple that with a Lumagen, and it looks like a $50,000 projector (and maybe the new JVC firmware gets it to a $45,000 projector.) Add a Panamorph, and you have a grand slam home run.

Congrats.
llang269, Frohlich and Craig Peer like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page