Dark Side Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 158Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 103 Old 11-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Salt Lake City, Ut.
Posts: 308
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Great build @m0j0 ! Love the painted wall on the outside entrance! I really like the DIY hush box for the projector!
m0j0 likes this.

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, AppleTV 4K, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, NU3000dsp, BKA-1000 & -300
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: (2x)M&K V-75's
ULF- Bk LFE(4x) & Advance + Aura shakers(2x) + Mini-riser BOSS(8x12" JBL's)
Kevnmin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 103 Old 12-05-2019, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Saw some pics of SBuger's theater and he gave me an idea for how to deal with the side surrounds in my setup. The problem I have is that my room is pretty small, and if you sit in the side seats you will have a speaker pretty much in your ear. So, I moved the side surrounds even further forward than I had them initially and now also angled them away from the seating a bit. The result is a much better experience for the people sitting in the outside seats, and because the LSiM's have good dispersion, I don't feel like I'm losing anything from the MLP. In fact, I like the way it sounds even better in that the pans are smoother and more natural feeling, since the distance between the center to the front speaker is about the same distance to the side surround, and about the same distance from the side surround to the rear surround, etc.











SBuger likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #33 of 103 Old 12-08-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Continuing with my efforts to experiment with the speaker placement across the board, I decided to move the rear atmos speakers from the border of the rear wall out to the side walls just behind the seating position (moved from rear heights over to side heights). So far, I can say it has been a good move. I hear more details than I did before and front to rear and rear to front atmos effects sound more full and distinct. I think it may have something to do with just hearing things better that are in front or to the side vs coming from the rear. At any rate, I have been happy with this change, so I will stick with this placement.





Craig Peer and SBuger like this.

Last edited by m0j0; 12-08-2019 at 01:35 PM.
m0j0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 103 Old 12-08-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,652
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 4765
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Saw some pics of SBuger's theater and he gave me an idea for how to deal with the side surrounds in my setup. The problem I have is that my room is pretty small, and if you sit in the side seats you will have a speaker pretty much in your ear. So, I moved the side surrounds even further forward than I had them initially and now also angled them away from the seating a bit. The result is a much better experience for the people sitting in the outside seats, and because the LSiM's have good dispersion, I don't feel like I'm losing anything from the MLP. In fact, I like the way it sounds even better in that the pans are smoother and more natural feeling, since the distance between the center to the front speaker is about the same distance to the side surround, and about the same distance from the side surround to the rear surround, etc.
@m0j0 – I seriously love everything about your Home Theater!!!! It has SO much character, inside and out!!! Plus not only that, I’m sure it’s quite the performer too with that BOSS, as well as an awesome speaker setup with Atmos and all that. Now looks like you’ve got your SS’s and Top Rears positioned in the best place as well. I'm so glad to hear that trick worked for your Side Surround speakers like it did on mine

WOW what a transformation from what your room was before to what it is now!!! Also, what a fantastic job on that awesome entrance wall …the building of it, as well as what the artist painted on it. SUPER COOL!!!!

I’m sure you and the family get a ton of enjoyment out it
m0j0 and Craig Peer like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #35 of 103 Old 12-09-2019, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
@m0j0 – I seriously love everything about your Home Theater!!!! It has SO much character, inside and out!!! Plus not only that, I’m sure it’s quite the performer too with that BOSS, as well as an awesome speaker setup with Atmos and all that. Now looks like you’ve got your SS’s and Top Rears positioned in the best place as well. I'm so glad to hear that trick worked for your Side Surround speakers like it did on mine

WOW what a transformation from what your room was before to what it is now!!! Also, what a fantastic job on that awesome entrance wall …the building of it, as well as what the artist painted on it. SUPER COOL!!!!

I’m sure you and the family get a ton of enjoyment out it

Really appreciate it sir! It's always been my dream to have a true home theater one day, so I'm pretty happy with it for sure!
Craig Peer and SBuger like this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #36 of 103 Old 12-12-2019, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,125
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7493 Post(s)
Liked: 9101
Clever way to mount the hush box. I really like not hearing my projector ! Where does it vent to ? Attic ? I might have missed that part.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #37 of 103 Old 12-12-2019, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Clever way to mount the hush box. I really like not hearing my projector ! Where does it vent to ? Attic ? I might have missed that part.

In version 1, it's just venting out of the top rear of the box back into the room. However, in version 2, which I'm hoping to put into effect during the Christmas break, I plan to vent out the back of the box, through the wall, into the bathroom, which is the room directly behind the theater.
Craig Peer likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #38 of 103 Old 12-13-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
After seeing some amazing screenshots from @Craig Peer , I decided to pull out the ole' Panasonic Lumix and snap a few pics in my theater last night. I don't have a tripod so I didn't do as good of a job as I would like, but it will at least give some idea of the image I am getting from my Sony 695ES and Stewart Cima screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110666.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	2653406   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110663.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	546.8 KB
ID:	2653408   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110668.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	702.1 KB
ID:	2653410   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110656.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	741.8 KB
ID:	2653412   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110657.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	780.6 KB
ID:	2653414  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110672.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	766.6 KB
ID:	2653416   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110676.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	2653418   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110677.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	545.0 KB
ID:	2653420   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110679.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	710.8 KB
ID:	2653422   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110682.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	2653424  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110685.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	553.2 KB
ID:	2653426   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110687.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	2653428   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110691.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	497.1 KB
ID:	2653430   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110692.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	682.9 KB
ID:	2653432   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110693.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	639.3 KB
ID:	2653434  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110694.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	786.6 KB
ID:	2653436   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110697.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	639.4 KB
ID:	2653438   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110700.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	898.0 KB
ID:	2653440   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110703.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	699.9 KB
ID:	2653442   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110704.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	648.0 KB
ID:	2653444  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110706.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	2653446   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110658.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	766.5 KB
ID:	2653448   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110670.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	717.4 KB
ID:	2653450   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110708.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	2653768   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110707.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2653770  

shivaji and SBuger like this.

Last edited by m0j0; 12-14-2019 at 06:15 AM.
m0j0 is online now  
post #39 of 103 Old 12-13-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,125
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7493 Post(s)
Liked: 9101
Nice. A tripod makes things much easier, but those look good.
m0j0 likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #40 of 103 Old 12-13-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,652
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 4765
Right on man, those still shots look really nice @m0j0 !! I thought MIB:I and Spiderman:FFH on 4k disc has some of the best PQ I've seen!!
m0j0 likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #41 of 103 Old 12-19-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
A couple more screenshots now that I picked up a tripod for my camera...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110775.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	990.5 KB
ID:	2656160   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110776.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2656162   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110781.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	561.6 KB
ID:	2656164   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110788.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	916.8 KB
ID:	2656166   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110819.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	859.3 KB
ID:	2656168  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110828.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	964.0 KB
ID:	2656170   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110829.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	857.1 KB
ID:	2656172   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110835.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	790.5 KB
ID:	2656174   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110836.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	845.1 KB
ID:	2656176   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110782.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	759.8 KB
ID:	2656184  

Craig Peer, shivaji and SBuger like this.

Last edited by m0j0; 12-19-2019 at 12:51 PM.
m0j0 is online now  
post #42 of 103 Old 12-24-2019, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Ok, I completed version 2 of the hush box. I took down the original mounting stands I had in place because it was a bit rickity and I wanted something more even/stable. Also, I built the hush box a few inches longer to accommodate the old stands, so I was able to shorten the box about 2-3 inches after switching over to the different stands. And because I was able to get the stands even and stable, I took down the metal chains I was using to provide support to the front of the box from the ceiling. However, the big improvement in version 2.0 is that I cut holes in the wall and placed the exhaust fans on the holes to suck hot air coming from the heat pipes into the next room (which is a guest bathroom). This has made a huge improvement in the comfort level in the room, as it could get quite warm after a few hours of movie watching before with the lamp running on high mode. I also made a port cover on the left side to cover up the hole I had cut for access to ports. I can swivel the cover as I used only one screw on one end if I need to gain access. It looks a little dorky but it gives a good seal and the hush box is actually quite a bit quieter now with that change, as well as a quiter room due to better alignment to rear wall of the box after cutting down a few inches along the back side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hb14.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	2658530   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb13.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	2658532   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb23.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	2658534   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb12.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	2658536   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb22.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	2658538  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb11.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	2658540   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb21.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2658542   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb10.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2658544   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb9.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2658546   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb20.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	2658548  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb8.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	2658550   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb19.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	2658552   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb7.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	2658554   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb18.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2658556   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb6.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	2658558  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb17.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	2658560   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb5.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2658562   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb16.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	2658564   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb15.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	2658566   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb4.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	2658568  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2658570   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	2658572   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	2658574   Click image for larger version

Name:	heatpipes.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	2658576   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb28.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	2658578  

Click image for larger version

Name:	hb27.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2658580   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb26.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	2658582   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb25.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2658584   Click image for larger version

Name:	hb24.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2658586  

Last edited by m0j0; 12-25-2019 at 09:02 AM.
m0j0 is online now  
post #43 of 103 Old 12-25-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,125
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7493 Post(s)
Liked: 9101
Craig Peer is online now  
post #44 of 103 Old 12-25-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Are you using these fans - https://www.acinfinity.com/ac-axial-fans/ And which ones ?

These are the ones I am using:


These are the pair I use for exhaust:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


This is the one I use for intake:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


The good thing about these is they can all be run off of a single USB connection from the projector, so no need to try and connect to a wall socket. You can get a few more CFM if you run wall powered, but I don't find that I really need any more air flow than what these provide. There is also a selector switch so you can run at slow, medium or high speed. I just set all mine to high as they aren't that loud at all.
Craig Peer likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #45 of 103 Old 12-26-2019, 09:45 AM
Senior Member
 
avsBuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Lots of smart thinking here. Venting to bathroom is genius and exhaust grills in bathroom look very slick!

Very brave mounting projector via Sheetrock anchors! To be fair, you are using the right kind that expand and create a sandwich with Sheetrock in the middle. Though I'm sure you are fine, in the future, I would use metal anchors for jobs like these.

I just mounted rear speakers to the wall using 4 holes. Because of bracket location, only part of the bracket was over stud. So I used two holes in the bracket along one side to drive bolts into a stud. To keep load even, I attached the other two side holes using metal anchors into the Sheetrock wall. A little bit overboard, I know, but those speakers are expensive and 22lb each hanging off the wall. That means, like in your case center of gravity is actually away from the wall so effective weight is higher as well as force vector pushes away from wall rather than straight down.

Because I have cement board behind Sheetrock for sound insulation, my wall thickness was over 1". So I used these anchors:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-2-P...cluded/3183813

For regular Sheetrock, and a lighter duty job (these are "only" rated to 85lb) I had good luck with these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-32-x-1...3762/204273420
m0j0 likes this.
avsBuddy is offline  
post #46 of 103 Old 12-26-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,125
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7493 Post(s)
Liked: 9101
Clever venting idea and maximizes what little space you have.
m0j0 likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #47 of 103 Old 12-26-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsBuddy View Post
Lots of smart thinking here. Venting to bathroom is genius and exhaust grills in bathroom look very slick!

Very brave mounting projector via Sheetrock anchors! To be fair, you are using the right kind that expand and create a sandwich with Sheetrock in the middle. Though I'm sure you are fine, in the future, I would use metal anchors for jobs like these.

I just mounted rear speakers to the wall using 4 holes. Because of bracket location, only part of the bracket was over stud. So I used two holes in the bracket along one side to drive bolts into a stud. To keep load even, I attached the other two side holes using metal anchors into the Sheetrock wall. A little bit overboard, I know, but those speakers are expensive and 22lb each hanging off the wall. That means, like in your case center of gravity is actually away from the wall so effective weight is higher as well as force vector pushes away from wall rather than straight down.

Because I have cement board behind Sheetrock for sound insulation, my wall thickness was over 1". So I used these anchors:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/TOGGLER-2-P...cluded/3183813

For regular Sheetrock, and a lighter duty job (these are "only" rated to 85lb) I had good luck with these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/6-32-x-1...3762/204273420

Thanks for the comments, which are always welcomed! I used these same wall anchors previously when I wall mounted my LSiM 703's, which are very heavy bookshelf speakers, so I knew they could handle the load. I was able to hit studs on the left side but no such luck on the right side, so I felt pretty confident with three of these anchors that I would be just fine.
m0j0 is online now  
post #48 of 103 Old 12-26-2019, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Clever venting idea and maximizes what little space you have.

I asked the wife if I could build a cabinet in the bathroom and place the projector in there, and she said heck to the no, but was okay with the venting idea, so off I went to find the hole saw...
Craig Peer likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #49 of 103 Old 12-27-2019, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Bought some foam sealant at Lowe's today and sealed up all the cracks and crevices on the hush box to help get the best possible seal, both to keep the heat from leaking into the room and to control the fan noise as much as possible. Turned out pretty good for a couple of bucks and a little spraying, cleaning and eventually touch up paint work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pt1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	2659898   Click image for larger version

Name:	pt3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	2659900   Click image for larger version

Name:	pt2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	2659902   Click image for larger version

Name:	pt4.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	2660074  
Craig Peer likes this.

Last edited by m0j0; 12-28-2019 at 07:00 AM.
m0j0 is online now  
post #50 of 103 Old 12-30-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
After a few more days, I am pretty amazed at the improvement sound and heat wise by using the foam sealant. It made quite a big difference.
Craig Peer likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #51 of 103 Old 12-30-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,125
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7493 Post(s)
Liked: 9101
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
After a few more days, I am pretty amazed at the improvement sound and heat wise by using the foam sealant. It made quite a big difference.
I love having a hush box / projector closet. You just never have to worry about how loud a projector is.
m0j0 likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #52 of 103 Old 12-30-2019, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I love having a hush box / projector closet. You just never have to worry about how loud a projector is.
The difference is remarkable. I am hearing much more details in the movie now with a more quiet projector, especially from the rear surrounds.
Craig Peer and SuperFist like this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #53 of 103 Old 01-02-2020, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Many exciting changes coming soon to the Dark Side Theater! Just hooked up the Mini DSP 2x4HD the wife bought me for Christmas last night and did some basic PEQ adjustments. So far, the BOSS is feeling more robust and the bass is sounding much more tight and not boomy. Still have a lot of work to do to tweak and get it right (and at some point, being able to start working with BEQ), but the New Year is off to a good start. I also have a deal lined up for some Buttkicker LFE's, so that's coming soon... and I ordered some acoustic treatments from GIK Acoustics so that will be a great addition as well. Lastly, my Monolith THX 15 Ultra that I RMA'd was received and a new one was shipped out to me, which I will receive mid week next week. A whole lot of work to do but getting pretty excited about how it's going to sound once complete. 2020 get ready because I'm getting ready to bring it to the next level!
Craig Peer likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #54 of 103 Old 01-02-2020, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,997
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Many exciting changes coming soon to the Dark Side Theater! Just hooked up the Mini DSP 2x4HD the wife bought me for Christmas last night and did some basic PEQ adjustments. So far, the BOSS is feeling more robust and the bass is sounding much more tight and not boomy. Still have a lot of work to do to tweak and get it right (and at some point, being able to start working with BEQ), but the New Year is off to a good start. I also have a deal lined up for some Buttkicker LFE's, so that's coming soon... and I ordered some acoustic treatments from GIK Acoustics so that will be a great addition as well. Lastly, my Monolith THX 15 Ultra that I RMA'd was received and a new one was shipped out to me, which I will receive mid week next week. A whole lot of work to do but getting pretty excited about how it's going to sound once complete. 2020 get ready because I'm getting ready to bring it to the next level!
I enjoyed going through all the posting on your H/T.

Oh, and not to forget the picture of you and your sister, outstanding.
It's nice to see who the person really is that's on AVS.

Enjoy 2020 with your incoming changes ...............

Terry
m0j0 likes this.
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #55 of 103 Old 01-02-2020, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
I enjoyed going through all the posting on your H/T.

Oh, and not to forget the picture of you and your sister, outstanding.
It's nice to see who the person really is that's on AVS.

Enjoy 2020 with your incoming changes ...............

Terry

Thanks Terry for checking out my HT thread!
m0j0 is online now  
post #56 of 103 Old 01-02-2020, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,997
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Thanks Terry for checking out my HT thread!
I see you and I did something very similar.

I had a lady friend that had a lady friend of her's to make me custom covers in Deep-Black-Velvet.
I also covered the sides on my Left & Right main JML speakers.
Plus I did the same with the top of the JML center channel speaker on top-side.
lastly and this is still waiting for the permanent install is the Deep-Black "Area-Low-Shag Rug".
Major improvement on the overall picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVS thread of home theater covers on gear.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	2662736



Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wayfair deep black area rug 15 by 12 feet december 2019 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	2662746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wayfair deep black area rug 15 by 12 feet december 2019 1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	2662748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wayfair deep black area rug 15 by 12 feet december 2019 3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	2662750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet custom covers 5.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	2662752   Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet custom covers 7.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	2662754  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet custom covers 6.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	2662756  
m0j0 likes this.
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #57 of 103 Old 01-02-2020, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
I see you and I did something very similar.

I had a lady friend that had a lady friend of her's to make me custom covers in Deep-Black-Velvet.
I also covered the sides on my Left & Right main JML speakers.
Plus I did the same with the top of the JML center channel speaker on top-side.
lastly and this is still waiting for the permanent install is the Deep-Black "Area-Low-Shag Rug".
Major improvement on the overall picture.

Attachment 2662736



Terry

Those custom black velvet covers are awesome! Nice touch! Mine are just basic, no sewing involved, but I had to do something to control those reflections off the screen. Nice rug too!
tigerhonaker likes this.
m0j0 is online now  
post #58 of 103 Old 01-02-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 17,125
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7493 Post(s)
Liked: 9101
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Many exciting changes coming soon to the Dark Side Theater! Just hooked up the Mini DSP 2x4HD the wife bought me for Christmas last night and did some basic PEQ adjustments. So far, the BOSS is feeling more robust and the bass is sounding much more tight and not boomy. Still have a lot of work to do to tweak and get it right (and at some point, being able to start working with BEQ), but the New Year is off to a good start. I also have a deal lined up for some Buttkicker LFE's, so that's coming soon... and I ordered some acoustic treatments from GIK Acoustics so that will be a great addition as well. Lastly, my Monolith THX 15 Ultra that I RMA'd was received and a new one was shipped out to me, which I will receive mid week next week. A whole lot of work to do but getting pretty excited about how it's going to sound once complete. 2020 get ready because I'm getting ready to bring it to the next level!
GIK room treatments work really well. I've been adding bass traps in my theater, and ceiling diffusors. It's really tamed the boomy bass on the one side of my theater ( almost an alcove on that side ). I have another 12 - 1' x 4' and one 2' x 3' bass traps coming shortly. My room treatments will then be finished.
m0j0 likes this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #59 of 103 Old 01-02-2020, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
tigerhonaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN. USA
Posts: 1,997
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Those custom black velvet covers are awesome! Nice touch! Mine are just basic, no sewing involved, but I had to do something to control those reflections off the screen. Nice rug too!
Below is something that might come in handy.
I used this on all my JML speakers to hold the Deep-Black-Velvet in place.
It works perfect and you can easily remove it later if needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet custom covers 1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	2662792

Click image for larger version

Name:	Velvet custom covers 2.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	2662794


Terry
tigerhonaker is offline  
post #60 of 103 Old 01-02-2020, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
m0j0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,196
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker View Post
Below is something that might come in handy.
I used this on all my JML speakers to hold the Deep-Black-Velvet in place.
It works perfect and you can easily remove it later if needed.

Attachment 2662792

Attachment 2662794


Terry

Awesome, thanks for the tip!
m0j0 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply What's Your System Configuration

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off