Can Somebody Assist an Old Boy? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-30-2019, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can Somebody Assist an Old Boy?

I am hoping that some of you folks can help me out. I started in this hobby? pursuit? back when vacuum tubes ruled. Brands like McIntosh, Dynaco, and others were popular and the warm glow of the tubes assured a warm, glowing sound (that’s a joke). So I accept that I am a bit behind the times.

My latest upgrade has given me considerable pause. I have moved into 4k video country by replacing a Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD 55” TV with a Sony XBR-77A9G. While both are complicated TVs, the difference is that the Pioneer came with a thick, complicated but thorough manual. The Sony came with a thin manual, the English section of which was largely about physically mounting the set.

For an example of my ignorance, I notice that there are three USB inputs, two USB 2.0 and one USB 3.1. According to the “manual,” these are for “Digital still camera/Camcorder/USB storage media.” Nowhere does it say what file types are supported, what software is required to display images, etc. The TV is connected to an Ethernet network and one computer is connected to the TV via an HDMI input, so I can work around my lack of knowledge here. But still.

One unexpected operation occurs when I power up my DVD player. This causes the TV to power up as well (apparently signaled to do so by the HDMI connection). Then, if the TV was set to HDMI 2 for, say, a set-top box, the TV will automatically switch to input 3 (the DVD input). If the TV is queried it reports the HDMI 2 is still active even though it is receiving input from HDMI 3. Of course the “manual” does not explain this behavior.

I am not asking for help with this particular device, but I would like to read your opinions of what in the **** is going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-01-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2862 Post(s)
Liked: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickf View Post
I am hoping that some of you folks can help me out. I started in this hobby? pursuit? back when vacuum tubes ruled. Brands like McIntosh, Dynaco, and others were popular and the warm glow of the tubes assured a warm, glowing sound (that’s a joke). So I accept that I am a bit behind the times.

My latest upgrade has given me considerable pause. I have moved into 4k video country by replacing a Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD 55” TV with a Sony XBR-77A9G. While both are complicated TVs, the difference is that the Pioneer came with a thick, complicated but thorough manual. The Sony came with a thin manual, the English section of which was largely about physically mounting the set.

For an example of my ignorance, I notice that there are three USB inputs, two USB 2.0 and one USB 3.1. According to the “manual,” these are for “Digital still camera/Camcorder/USB storage media.” Nowhere does it say what file types are supported, what software is required to display images, etc. The TV is connected to an Ethernet network and one computer is connected to the TV via an HDMI input, so I can work around my lack of knowledge here. But still.

One unexpected operation occurs when I power up my DVD player. This causes the TV to power up as well (apparently signaled to do so by the HDMI connection). Then, if the TV was set to HDMI 2 for, say, a set-top box, the TV will automatically switch to input 3 (the DVD input). If the TV is queried it reports the HDMI 2 is still active even though it is receiving input from HDMI 3. Of course the “manual” does not explain this behavior.

I am not asking for help with this particular device, but I would like to read your opinions of what in the **** is going on.
Yes, things have become much more complex! It doesn't help, the constant changing of formats and "standards", it can be confusing and hard to keep up! You'll likely find better info on line than in any manual Sony provides, if you can call it that. (mine is crap too, the one that came with my X930D)

While my Sony TV is older than yours, it does seem to support the majority of common video formats, but not 100%. Yours might be better off though, as it is much newer. You shouldn't really need any additional software to display material, other than maybe a need to do some kind of file conversion if a format is not recognized.

Try turning off Bravia Sync to eliminate that DVD power-up issue. Mine did the same thing at first (with a Sony BD Player) and turning that off seemed to solve the problem. I assume your model will have this feature.

There should also be a thread on the forum more specific to your model, so search that out, and you'll get more accurate answers and solutions. Welcome to the modern world of A/V. It can be frustrating, but rewarding.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply What's Your System Configuration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page