11 Ways to Watch Movies at Home - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

post #31 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8812 Post(s)
Liked: 15472
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenoo5 View Post
its a decent argument. I think there's two major things going against UHD:

1) the "current" generation game consoles do not support it-> the next wave of console upgrades is quite a ways off and without the console route, i dont see mass market adoption of dedicated UHD players happening
2) "fake" 4k streaming becoming more and more available-> the majority of the mkt does not know/cannot differentiate between streaming 4k and 'real' 4k from UHD discs.

having said that, I'm excited about UHD. It would be a real pity if it didn't supersede Bluray.
Two more things that could pose a challenge to the physical format: VOD UHD/4K from cable companies, and the PS4. Now, what really surprises me is that Sony did not open up the PS4 to UHD/4K downloads already. The company probably wanted to preserve the market for its dedicated Ultra HD media players while focusing on pure gaming for the PS4. AFAIK there's nothing stopping Sony from adding that capability to the PS4 in the future, and having watched the PS3 evolve I'd be surprised if Sony didn't make such a move once the PS4 install base and UHD/4K TV adoption reaches a critical threshold.

After all, the PS3 originally drove Blu-ray adoption, but eventually it became a preferred platform for streaming Netflix, including being the first device to offer 1080p streams with 5.1 sound from that service.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I just go to my local library and check out the donation DVD and Blu-Rays. Lots of old movies and can even request them. I live in the country where broadband is limited. Forget Netflix, got tire of buffering. Wish we had Blockbuster again.
sightsandsounds likes this.

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
post #33 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 3991 Post(s)
Liked: 3166
OK, wife gets me a UHD Blu-ray player for Christmas 2015 (? - meaning will it even be available?) Possibly a couple UHD Movies to go with it.
I watch the two movies - now, the question is, what's going to be my reaction when I go back to trying to catch up watching my stockpiled Blu-rays? Lately, I'm starting to get a UHD sense that this is where I want to go after watching YouTube 4K Videos! Damm! Infected with the UHD virus!

UN65KS9800 - Mine
UN65HU9000 + SEK-3500U / UN75JU7100 / UN55HU7250 with SEK-3500U in UJS9000 Mod Mode / UN40J5200AF / HiSense 40H5507 - Wife's
UN55NU8000 X 2 - my 2 kids families (or should I say adults?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post
OK, wife gets me a UHD Blu-ray player for Christmas 2015 (? - meaning will it even be available?) Possibly a couple UHD Movies to go with it.
I watch the two movies - now, the question is, what's going to be my reaction when I go back to trying to catch up watching my stockpiled Blu-rays? Lately, I'm starting to get a UHD sense that this is where I want to go after watching YouTube 4K Videos! Damm! Infected with the UHD virus!
One experiment I want to run this weekend is to stream Interstellar through Ultraflix on 1 65" FALD LCD UHDTV, while watching the Blu-ray version on 2 other TVs: one a 1080p 64" plasma, and one a FALD LCD UHDTV using upscaling.
Phrehdd and Yappadappadu like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #35 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
One experiment I want to run this weekend is to stream Interstellar through Ultraflix on 1 65" FALD LCD UHDTV, while watching the Blu-ray version on 2 other TVs: one a 1080p 64" plasma, and one a FALD LCD UHDTV using upscaling.
I would wait until Ultra HD Blu-ray comes out and then make a comparison. It will obviously be undeniably superior in every way to any streamed 4k version, just as any properly mastered Blu-ray is ALWAYS superior to any streamed 1080p version.
post #36 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
I would wait until Ultra HD Blu-ray comes out and then make a comparison. It will obviously be undeniably superior in every way to any streamed 4k version, just as any properly mastered Blu-ray is ALWAYS superior to any streamed 1080p version.
No doubt that's likely the case, but how much of the potential customer base is going to pay for that, or even be equipped to enjoy that difference? With the costs involved in dealing with physical media, it strikes me as a tough sell. If it remains a niche product, what price point will make it viable?

Maybe it'll be like the vinyl record "resurgence" and people will pay triple what other formats cost. I'll certainly be following the story as it develops, there's no way to predict the future. You can only look at trends and hazard a guess.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-06-2015 at 09:03 AM.
post #37 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
Quote:
Hilarious hyperbole!
How is it hyperbole? The HD physical formats are and will be the highest quality available...and you have written them off for sometime now...even selling off your Blus as you said there was virtually no difference between streaming and Blu-ray. Any change of heart?
Kilgore and blackssr like this.
post #38 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
How is it hyperbole? The HD physical formats are and will be the highest quality available...and you have written them off for sometime now...even selling off your Blus as you said there was virtually no difference between streaming and Blu-ray. Any change of heart?
I was referring to the second claim, that I was "determined to kill off" Blu-ray. That's the hyperbole, I'm just reporting trends. Streaming and downloads are gaining in popularity and quality is improving.

Tell me, is Blu-ray as high quality as UHD/4K movies playing from one of Sony's 4K servers? Or off of Samsung's UHD Pack? Those files can contain up to 100 Mbps video at 2160p, so I'm gonna guess the answer is no. Therefore, as of right now Blu-ray is not the highest quality format, UHD/4K downloads are. When UHD Blu-ray is finally released, can you guarantee it'll actually be better quality than those downloads? It looks to me like the quality will be about the same. There's certainly nothing about putting those bits on a spinning disc that makes them inherently superior to a download, as Kaleidescape proves with its true Blu-ray quality discless offerings.
DeadEd, thehun and THX1720 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-06-2015 at 10:44 AM.
post #39 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 500
What's the best service for streaming concert videos? I have Netflix, and there is next to nothing they offer.
post #40 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many people will eventually upgrade their old 1080P panel or super old 720P panel to a larger 4K panel as visible improvements become obvious and price comes down. Even if Ultra Blue-ray has been around for several years and becomes a niche product: (we know scalers can only be good up to some point), do you guys think DVD will finally fade away leaving Blue-ray to become the last remaining dominate physical format? with the increase of streaming content, Blue-ray seem itself to becoming a semi-niche venue. I luv a good movie in Blue-ray format and hope Ultra B-ray at least comes as close to it's semi-popularity.

Last edited by NewConnection; 08-06-2015 at 11:28 AM.
post #41 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
No, DVD is here to stay, and so are 1080p TVs. They are the mainstream; bread and butter of movie studios and TV manufacturers.

* Our local libraries...another good/inexpensive way to watch movies @ home. ...Inexpensive...as free. ...And no buffering.
post #42 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewConnection View Post
Many people will eventually upgrade their old 1080P panel or super old 720P panel to a larger 4K panel as visible improvements become obvious and price comes down. Even if Ultra Blue-ray has been around for several years and becomes a niche product: (we know scalers can only be good up to some point), do you guys think DVD will finally fade away leaving Blue-ray to become the last remaining dominate physical format? with the increase of streaming content, Blue-ray seem itself to becoming a semi-niche venue. I luv a good movie in Blue-ray format and hope Ultra B-ray at least comes as close to it's semi-popularity.
I don't believe DVD will ever fade away. There are too many people who have the "good enough" mindset and a very large library. Couple that with convenience and a lower price and you will always have a lesser format. I have family members who have upgraded their tube TVs to 1080p sets and still feed them with a $35 Coby DVD player. They are perfectly fine with it. Just change the settings to stretch to full screen and they are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic
Still not sure it's a viable format, or if it's going to meet SACD's fate. But at this point it's clear someone is going to make the effort to see if it can survive in a market clearly headed toward download and streaming dominance.
I believe @imagic is correct in his belief. The trends all show that physical media is on the outs. It will definitely be a tough sell when UHD Blu-rays are released at premium prices. Superior video/audio quality is no longer a good enough reason for the masses to upgrade. That is very sad for guys like me who like physical discs!
jrainesus likes this.

Last edited by dmarqueset; 08-06-2015 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Added quote
post #43 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Weird the Sony UHD download service wasn't included.
post #44 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post
Weird the Sony UHD download service wasn't included.
I pretty much realized after the fact that it should've been in there.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #45 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There's certainly nothing about putting those bits on a spinning disc that makes them inherently superior to a download, as Kaleidescape proves with its true Blu-ray quality discless offerings.
Actually, I will name four off the top of my head:

1: A Blu-ray can't be wiped out by an electrical storm. It's much easier to wipe out my entire collection if it's on a hard drive than it is on physical discs.
2: A Blu-ray doesn't use up internet bandwidth.
3: I can take my Blu-ray disc to the cottage.
4: A standard Blu-ray player doesn't cost $3000

There are many others, but I have to go to work.
Mark12547 and dnoonie like this.
post #46 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Actually, I will name four off the top of my head:

1: A Blu-ray can't be wiped out by an electrical storm. It's much easier to wipe out my entire collection if it's on a hard drive than it is on physical discs.
2: A Blu-ray doesn't use up internet bandwidth.
3: I can take my Blu-ray disc to the cottage.
4: A standard Blu-ray player doesn't cost $3000

There are many others, but I have to go to work.
All valid points, but none are related to image quality, which is what I was thinking about.
thehun, dnoonie and Kev Greenhalgh like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #47 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All valid points, but none are related to image quality, which is what I was thinking about.
You said this:

"There's certainly nothing about putting those bits on a spinning disc that makes them inherently superior to a download, as Kaleidescape proves with its true Blu-ray quality discless offerings."

My points addressed this comment [B]exactly[B]. I gave reasons why "putting those bits on a spinning disc makes them inherently superior to a download". And as you say, my points are valid.
post #48 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
You said this:

"There's certainly nothing about putting those bits on a spinning disc that makes them inherently superior to a download, as Kaleidescape proves with its true Blu-ray quality discless offerings."

My points addressed this comment [B]exactly[B]. I gave reasons why "putting those bits on a spinning disc makes them inherently superior to a download". And as you say, my points are valid.
It's nice to see those words repeated three times on the same page . They remain true in the context I was discussing, which is image quality. You're quite the semantic warrior!

Having the bits reside on a spinning plastic disc makes them circumstantially superior, it just depends on your priorities and your needs.
thehun, THX1720, dnoonie and 1 others like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-06-2015 at 01:42 PM.
post #49 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 01:36 PM

Very good point Kilgore. ...And an educative discussion Mark.
dnoonie likes this.
post #50 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Most stores where I live are dumping Blu-Rays in favor of cheap DVDs apart from the big releases or have completely stopped selling them, this has allowed me to pick up quite a number for a reduced price. I do think streaming (bandwidth permitting) is the future and I have converted a number of DVDs at least to a movie server but still watch the Blu rays from the Disc. I do have digital copies that I use when traveling and in Australia we do have Disc to digital but is still in it's infancy which charges $2 per movie. I was just wish there would be a unified standard for digital distribution, ultraviolet seems to be an attempt at this but the apps I have used have a ways to go.
post #51 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
Streaming will turn physical media into a niche market ,physical media have better quality but the average consumer will prefer to just "click" a button ,IMO no only the average consumer .....I have nothing against physical media I paid about $800 or more for my Marantz UD7007 blu ray player 2 years + ago.

Last edited by losservatore; 08-06-2015 at 03:54 PM.
post #52 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
Streaming will turn physical media into a niche market ,physical media have better quality but the average consumer will prefer to just "click" a button ,IMO no only the average consumer .....I have nothing against physical media I paid about $800 for my Marantz blu ray player.
Truly, the law of diminishing returns applies to everything. As streaming quality improves, the motivation to get something even better quality will drop. This Phenomenon has already played out in the world of audio.
SansoneDPM likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-06-2015 at 03:48 PM.
post #53 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1997 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
i like bluray, but i'm also a huge fan of looking through movies with a nice user interface. something i can sort, search, and don't have to change discs.

for me, THE way to watch movies is to put the blurays onto hard drives i can view on my htpc. if i'm going to pay the same amount for a digital download, i don't understand why you wouldn't grab the bluray and get the full quality.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #54 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1997 Post(s)
Liked: 1896
Quote:
Truly, the law of diminishing returns applies to everything. As streaming quality improves, the motivation to get something even better quality will drop. This Phenomenon has already played out in the world of audio.
i agree, but i think the problem for some(myself included) has nothing to do with the streaming services, but the ISP's that delivery it. it's like online shopping that won't deliver to your house...

right now, it's pretty unreliable that i could ever stream bd rips, let alone full bd's. so there's a LOT of infrastructure that needs to change before the streaming services can provide bluray or hd bluray quality to everybody that wants it.

the other issue i have, is what interest i can get, is stupid expensive and comes with very restrictive bandwidth caps. for about 80/mth, i get enough bandwidth for 2, maybe 3 hd blurays. again, if i go to the online shopping thing, it's like saving 100bux buying online, but paying 200 for shipping. no matter how good the streaming service gets, it's not enough unless they also take care of delivery. when netflix or whoever bundles an internet plan in with their service, i'll be a happy customer(and i don't mean for 8/mth too, i just want the delivery and stream to be from the same company so that they 'match' and work well together)

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #55 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Anyone have issue with the correct audio format being passed through the various streamers? it seems like most only send the audio to the receiver as PCM (if Im recalling correctly) which is my only real gripe about streaming, I have used a few different ones but my primary ones are Nexus Player and Chromecast, if Im using something like Plex or Media Browser then I can use a third party media player app forgot the name to pass the correct audio format outside of that it all wants to be 2.0 PCM.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, Roku 4, HTPC, 2017 nVidia Shield, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #56 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Streaming will turn physical media into a niche market ,physical media have better quality but the average consumer will prefer to just "click" a button ,IMO no only the average consumer .....I have nothing against physical media I paid about $800 or more for my Marantz UD7007 blu ray player 2 years + ago.
That remote control says it all...about where the masses are going...and where the money is no more following.

* Movie studios are building more movie theaters. ...To recoup all losses and to regain billions in collateral damages.
And professional musicians are back on the road...live. ...Instead of being @ the mercy of streaming and downloading companies.

<<>> In the year 2025, approximately, Audio/Video Science Forum (AVS) is going to change its name for something like; Audio/Video Streaming Forum (AVS). (-;

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-06-2015 at 05:57 PM. Reason: small typo
post #57 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Bit for Bit Blu Ray rips onto my Synology NAS with Kodi. Runs great on a computer, but I bought a NVidia Shield Android TV and am using Kodi on it. Some bugs with pass through, but I am really starting to like it. I only stream on my PS4 or Apple TV if I have to, and it's usually chick flicks that I don't care about sound our PQ on. :-)

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #58 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
That remote controls says it all...about where the masses are going...and where the money is no more following.

* Movie studios are building more movie theaters. ...To recoup all losses and to regain billions in collateral damages.
And professional musicians are back on the road...live. ...Instead of being @ the mercy of streaming and downloading companies.

<<>> In the year 2025, approximately, Audio/Video Science Forum (AVS) is going to change its name for something like; Audio/Video Streaming Forum (AVS). (-;
I am fine with digital media, so long as they give me bit for bit.
dnoonie likes this.

Lowell

The MarvelAtmos Home Theater: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #59 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2987 Post(s)
Liked: 2826
NorthSky almost everyone that I personally know use streaming boxes ,even my father that is a 69 years old ,people are cutting the cable and using a combination of OTA and streaming boxes.

switching to streaming services like netflix ,vudu ,amazon ,hulu ect ect.

Is the reality I prefer physical disk and I have around 300 BD movies but I see how streaming is increasing by a large % every year and physical decreasing each year.

basically the people that keep using cable are sports fans .but Sling tv offer streaming sports or OTA.

"Edit:Millennials aren't the only one ditching cable for streaming service
http://www.techspot.com/news/61668-millennials-arent-only-ones-ditching-cable-streaming-services.html "

Last edited by losservatore; 08-06-2015 at 08:07 PM.
post #60 of 98 Old 08-06-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
@NorthSky , almost everyone that I personally know use streaming boxes ,even my father that is a 69 years old ,people are cutting the cable and using a combination of OTA and streaming boxes.

switching to streaming services like netflix ,vudu ,amazon ,hulu ect ect.

Is the reality I prefer physical disk and I have around 300 BD movies but I see how streaming is increasing by a large % every year and physical decreasing each year.
I know I know, same here, and some of my friends, who aren't shy of saying, said that I'm a material man...when they see my Blu-ray collection.
It just don't make sense to me, ...and even less to them.

But we all watch the same thing, when sitting outside by the ocean view with the eagles flying above and the mountain tops behind us.
...Large trees and flowers all over...from all species and colors. ...Nice looking chicks too, in bikini, with suntanned skin and velvety soft like the sultan women of Arabia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page