10 Ways to Stream or Download Music - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 58Likes

post #91 of 109 Old 10-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Your Denon does Airplay which sounds much better than bluetooth and there are multiple ways to Airplay from Android since it sounds like that is your platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfalk View Post
Well, I read the rest of the thread, and, unless I missed it, nobody answered your question. Which is a shame because I'm looking for an answer too! I have a Denon X2200W, so I can Bluetooth directly from my phone, but I have gotten Bluetooth dropouts in other contexts and I don't like depending on it. I'm considering getting a Chromecast, and it's cheap enough that if it works, I'm OK with it... what's your objection? My next choice is a Nexus Player. In fact, I'm sure that's what I'd use if it had an Ethernet connector. One more level up is the Nvidia Android TV box, but that seems ridiculously expensive if all you want to do is music. But, I understand Google is about to announce a specific music casting system, which should not be confused with Google Cast: http://9to5google.com/2015/09/18/exc...kers/#comments But I have to admit that I find this story a little confusing and am just going to hold up until Google explains to me just what this thing is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 109 Old 10-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I pay for Apple Music, Spotify and Pandora.
I'm not thrilled with the Apple Music UI but I can have my iTunes Match, ripped cd music, and purchased content all in one place. Mastered for iTunes sounds pretty good as well. I have all the Pink Floyd as Mastered for iTunes. I can't really tell it from FLAC playing through the usb port on my receiver.
I airplay to my Yamaha Aventage A850 and multiple speakers around the house at the same time from all three of these services using Airfoil. The Yamaha also has Spotify Connect and Pandora built in. I'm not sure what bit rate Pandora runs at through the receiver. I know from my Roku it is 128.
https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/
I'm keeping Spotify for now but have never loved it and will probably switch to Apple Music and not have both at some point.
I pay for Pandora and will continue to do so. It's cheap and the otters two don't do radio stations as well. You need to curate your radio station to get the best results but its' well worth it.
post #93 of 109 Old 10-02-2015, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCyclist View Post
I'm not thrilled with the Apple Music UI but I can have my iTunes Match, ripped cd music, and purchased content all in one place. Mastered for iTunes sounds pretty good as well. I have all the Pink Floyd as Mastered for iTunes. I can't really tell it from FLAC playing through the usb port on my receiver.
I airplay to my Yamaha Aventage A850 and multiple speakers around the house at the same time from all three of these services using Airfoil. The Yamaha also has Spotify Connect and Pandora built in. I'm not sure what bit rate Pandora runs at through the receiver. I know from my Roku it is 128.
I'm keeping Spotify for now but have never loved it and will probably switch to Apple Music and not have both at some point.
I pay for Pandora and will continue to do so. It's cheap and the otters two don't do radio stations as well. You need to curate your radio station to get the best results but its' well worth it.
http://help.pandora.com/customer/por...-audio-quality

I use my avr's Pandora and sounds just fine....curious if you find much difference between your 192kbps bitrate. I've never done that as I don't pay for Pandora....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 109 Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I just "cast" via wifi from wherever to wherever usually with youtube stuff. 384 aac
post #95 of 109 Old 10-02-2015, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but I use SlimDevices (became logitech, now unfortunately discontinued) squeezeboxes and have all my old CDs ripped to FLAC. For newer music I use Spotify.

For critical listening to my favorites I'll listen to the FLAC. However, I can't tell the difference between FLAC and streamed 320 Spotify. (I have a decent setup: Aperion Verus Grand Towers, other verus speakers in 7.1 for movies, Marantz 7701 prepro, Emotiva xpa7, Hsu HTF 15 h sub).

My favorite thing about the squeezeboxes is that I can link them all up if I'm having a party.
post #96 of 109 Old 10-03-2015, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCMo96 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it but I use SlimDevices (became logitech, now unfortunately discontinued) squeezeboxes and have all my old CDs ripped to FLAC. For newer music I use Spotify.

For critical listening to my favorites I'll listen to the FLAC. However, I can't tell the difference between FLAC and streamed 320 Spotify. (I have a decent setup: Aperion Verus Grand Towers, other verus speakers in 7.1 for movies, Marantz 7701 prepro, Emotiva xpa7, Hsu HTF 15 h sub).

My favorite thing about the squeezeboxes is that I can link them all up if I'm having a party.
I've heard about squeezeboxes but that last bit sounds interesting. You can have different systems around your house play the same content via coordinating the squeezeboxes? That would be nice....
post #97 of 109 Old 10-03-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I've heard about squeezeboxes but that last bit sounds interesting. You can have different systems around your house play the same content via coordinating the squeezeboxes? That would be nice....
Yes. They have a synchronize feature and can be controlled via smart phone. So you can have them all playing the same source.
post #98 of 109 Old 10-03-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Yes. They have a synchronize feature and can be controlled via smart phone. So you can have them all playing the same source.
post #99 of 109 Old 10-04-2015, 05:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Your Denon does Airplay which sounds much better than bluetooth and there are multiple ways to Airplay from Android since it sounds like that is your platform.
I'll look into Airplay from Android (which never occurred to me) but my problem got solved a much better way. I went with an Nvidia Shield which takes my phone out of the process altogether, since it has Google Play Music installed as an app. Plus 4K streaming and a ton of other stuff I'm just starting to explore. I think this is an amazing device.
post #100 of 109 Old 10-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
No just being honest and realistic, which many enthusiasts are not willing to do. I read comments like that all the the time, my hearing is still great.

It's literally a modern-day myth that 320 Kbps compressed audio is noticeably inferior to digital hi-res lossless formats.

I am not looking for anyone to publicly admit they do not possess superhuman hearing but people who swear there is a night and day difference in SQ once you get past 256 Kbps MP3 or AAC ought to try a real ABX test with Foobar 2000, and first make sure the hi-res stuff isn't just creating (audible) intermodulation distortion.

Now, just to be clear I don't think it's impossible to hear effects of compression, but a well compressed 320 kbps file is a tough nut to crack and anecdotal claims of hearing these differences through casual comparison are not enough to convince me, no matter how "resolving" the system used to do so.
I am one of these people.
Although I would swear I heard differences in spotify vs a CD.

But I listen to spotify via a sonos connect , and cd's on my oppo 103d...
I recently switched to Tidal (btw their hifi offerings has been around much longer than jay Z's ownership) and now that the oppo has the tidal app, I have been able to compare a little better and I must say the main difference is between devices and not any data compression.

I honestly doubt I could tell the difference between spotify premium and the tidal lossless if played through the same device.
post #101 of 109 Old 10-11-2015, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2681 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke Me View Post
Hearing about pono for the first time.
That makes 11 of you...

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 32/24 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
post #102 of 109 Old 10-22-2015, 03:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
some great youtube stuff. like 4hrs of pink floyd hd. or elton john or steely dan...if its not on youtube it doesnt exist lol
I agree
post #103 of 109 Old 10-29-2015, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
You are right, Youtube is a huge source of streaming music, although some of it skirts the edge of ethics when it comes to copyright (i.e. people posting unauthorized copies of songs and collecting ad revenue). But yeah, I've had evenings of Youtube-fueled music discovery. And no doubt Youtube is also a great platform for legit publishing. I con;t quite forgive Youtube for creating Justin Bieber. Thanks for the suggestion though, it definitely deserves a spot on the list!
Since you mentioned YouTube; it would be fair to mention Vevo; which is like the MTV of streaming. Much of the mainstream and legal music content on YouTube comes from Vevo
post #104 of 109 Old 10-29-2015, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9379 Post(s)
Liked: 16623
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiliosic View Post
Since you mentioned YouTube; it would be fair to mention Vevo; which is like the MTV of streaming. Much of the mainstream and legal music content on YouTube comes from Vevo
You are right, I know the Vevo logo very well, now that I think about it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #105 of 109 Old 11-04-2015, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPowell View Post
Greetings gurus...

Can seniors here point me to a thread(s) or url(s) that can help optimize process for taking/ripping (dbpoweramp...?) a music collection (CD's) to correct loss less format and the play them to AVR (serve...? - JRiver or iTunes...)? Where does a NAS (just a storage repository, correct...?) come in - I've set aside a 5 TB drive just for this, but is a NAS something more than 'just a drive'...?

For example, I have a Denon x3200 AVR and computers which are both Win (10), primary and Mac (iMac) secondary. My Denon x3200 shows up as a device on WIN 10 system - but when 'media server' selected the files show up as 'empty'...

Hey - I'm sure this seems pretty funny - but I'm lost in wilderness of a new media adventure...!

Any tips, or if I'm asking in wrong forum, please advise and thank you in advance...!
Not a senior (except in age) but I can tell you what I do:

- Rip CDs using dBpoweramp in FLAC format. I store them on my Onedrive, which gives me 1 TB (!) of storage - plenty of space.

- Installed Plex on my home computer - I don't have a NAS or dedicated HTPC, so I can't help you there. I have my Roku box connected to my AVR, and use the PLEX channel on Roku to stream music from the computer. (I also stream Pandora to Roku). If your Denon has wireless connectivity, then you probably don't need the Roku, but I don't know how you get it to connect, not having done it.

The annoying thing about my setup is that I have to get the computer fired up to do anything at all, and when the computer goes to sleep the music stops. I wish I had a way to stream directly from Onedrive via the Roku, without having the computer on. An app called Couchy Play lets me do this from Dropbox, but not from Onedrive. But I only have 2 GB of storage on Dropbox - not enough for my music collection. If anyone knows a way to do this, I'd like to hear about it.

Also, how does JRiver compare to Plex? Advantages/disadvantages of each?
post #106 of 109 Old 01-09-2016, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Well the Oppo 105D seems to play everything I have thrown at it, now even you can Stream Tidal through it, drop all your iTune Rip material onto a HD drive and just plug it in the back of the unit or a USB drive for the front. It even reads NAS Drives as well.... If one has been buying CDs on Amazon you can listen to all the CDs you have bought as well, just wish I could stream those as well, but they are already recorded via AIFF in iTunes. I think you will start seeing devices that stream act as a pre/amp and Dac all in one so you can also use these services.
Garman,
It does seem like the Oppo 105 player solves a lot of problems by serviing as a solid DAC for multiple sources. I've subscribed to Tidal and use my iPad or iPhone to control it, but the music streams through the hard Internet connection with the Oppo, it seems so simple that I feel like i'm missing something, but for me it is all I need.
post #107 of 109 Old 10-01-2016, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Let's just say there's some bitrate—I'm not sure what it is exactly—where audio takes on a level of fidelity beyond which humans cannot hear a difference. If you apply that to as many channels as a format demands (two? eight?) then you are done. Blu-ray exceeds that threshold, which is commendable.
In my experience, it's higher than most audio-science buffs would suggest. It does help to have a very revealing system, a very familiar system, a very controlled environment (like near field), an excellent sense of frequency recognition, or (preferably) all of the above.

It doesn't help that most modern music is mixed and mastered to the lowest common user (a kid with earbuds plugged into an iPhone) and that the loudness wars have sucked the dynamic life out of everything produced in the last 20 years, but to pretend that there is no audible difference between bitrates and bit depths based on a few foobar tests with hi-fi speakers (or headphones) in a living room is leaving a little on the table.

There is a theory (and I wish I had a link to site, but I don't) which says that even frequencies we allegedly can't hear, when boosted or cut, affect frequencies we can hear. Indeed, this is why so many top-end analog mastering EQs have "air" bands significantly over the 20khz theoretical threshold. I have spent some time twisting those knobs, and heard the difference clearly (again though, with a revealing system in a controlled environment). According to the "anything over 20k can safely be done away with" crew (who site Nyquist, though they often misunderstand the point of the theory) this shouldn't be possible. However, it's relevant to point out that I have yet to run into a pro engineer or producer who buys in to recording mixing and mastering in anything less than 32 bit float and the highest sample rate the rig will allow (you really do need some horsepower once effects start going on a 30+ track project).

HT: KEF Reference 1 - Anthem AVM60 & MCA525 - Martin Logan Focus - DefTech XTR-20BP - Dual SVS SB16 Ultra
Office 2CH: KEF LS50 - Crown - Bluesound
Stage: Allen & Heath Dlive s5000 - Westone AMPRO 30 - AKG mics - Crown Amps
WAF is currently at DEFCON ORANGE
post #108 of 109 Old 10-06-2016, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My Daughter has a Ninetendo Wii which she has used on her TV in her lounge for a few years, all works well Including Netflix.
We have moved the Wii upstairs to another TV and connected it via the Scart / Phono leads as it was downstairs, when it's on the screen the page shows the Wii dashboard with Netflix displayed.
The problem is the 2 remotes won't operate the up/down / sideways button.
I can switch it on via the Ninetendo remote, Button A works, home button works, + & - buttons work, have tried via the Scart and AV settings but can't get the direction button to help, can anyone help??
post #109 of 109 Old 10-06-2016, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Airplay has simplified much of the streaming problem for me. You get lossless 44.1 16-bit (higher res would be nice, but in my system I've not noticed any audible improvement with it), and I can stream from my laptop, media server (which has most of my CD's ripped in lossless), phone or tablet. I can play to one set of speakers, or multiple synchronized speakers (supported on mobile devices in iOS 10 now too). An AppleTV works well as an AirPlay end point (it will resample to 48 Khz), or I built my own using Raspberry Pi for $40 (which doesn't resample). I can use Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, I think pretty much all the services mentioned in this article.

Don't really see the need for spending more, unless I was gung ho on hi-res I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
frontpage , itunes , pandora , spotify , tidal

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page