Rotten Tomatoes “Freshest” Movies of The Past 20 years on Ultra HD Blu-ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 2 Post By audioguy
  • 2 Post By azurisk
  • 3 Post By audioguy
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 3 Post By audioguy
  • 1 Post By GaryArthur
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet

post #1 of 19 Old 12-12-2018, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 425 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8814 Post(s)
Liked: 15479
Rotten Tomatoes “Freshest” Movies of The Past 20 years on Ultra HD Blu-ray

Looking for some “fresh” titles to add to your Ultra HD Blu-ray collection? We’ve picked them out of a list of 200 titles from rottentomatoes.com

The movie review aggregation site rottentomatoes.com has recently published a list of “The 200 Freshest Movies of the Past 20 Years.” The list represents the movies that have the most positive reviews, since 1998, as ranked by the site. There’s a ton of good movies in the list, but 200 is a lot! So, what I have done is find all the movies in the list that are available in Ultra HD Blu-ray.

To check out the list, click this link: https://www.avsforum.com/freshest-mo...ra-hd-blu-ray/

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-12-2018, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 117
ALL Phenomenal titles!

Chemist
post #3 of 19 Old 12-13-2018, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2033 Post(s)
Liked: 2849
For once the critics are actually aligned with what people on AVS like. (How often does that happen)

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 12-13-2018, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I was initially excited at seeing the article title, but this was incredibly underwhelming. MI7, Black Panther, HP?
The only decent movies on that list were Coco and Argo.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4581 Post(s)
Liked: 3353
Quote:
Originally Posted by xucardsfan08 View Post
I was initially excited at seeing the article title, but this was incredibly underwhelming. MI7, Black Panther, HP?
The only decent movies on that list were Coco and Argo.
As with most things in the world of AV, we all have different opinions. I LOVED MI7. Great story? Nope? Great way to present the story? Absolutely YES - and so much fun to watch. Watching a movie for me is a way to "escape". If I couldn't "escape" watching that movie, I need to have my pulse checked.

Clearly, YMMV !!
tenthplanet and mike1sc like this.
post #6 of 19 Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The inclusion of movies like black panther is amazing. This movie is not better then other marvel movies, I dare to say it’s worse then most. But due to political correctness this has been made into a masterpiece of cinema, same goes for get out. The difference in scoring at rottentomatoes between critic and audience score is telling. Hundreds of posititive reviews and ony a handful negative critics. Too bad political correctness is killing of our movies.
edved1 and TurkeyTom like this.
post #7 of 19 Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurisk View Post
Too bad political correctness is killing of our movies.
And a lot more than just our movies !!!!
markg35, edved1 and mike1sc like this.

Last edited by audioguy; 12-15-2018 at 05:40 AM.
post #8 of 19 Old 12-14-2018, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
The inclusion of movies like black panther is amazing. This movie is not better then other marvel movies, I dare to say it’s worse then most. But due to political correctness this has been made into a masterpiece of cinema, same goes for get out. The difference in scoring at rottentomatoes between critic and audience score is telling. Hundreds of posititive reviews and ony a handful negative critics. Too bad political correctness is killing of our movies.
Dutch Movies? Why are you guys so PC?

Media Room - SVS Ultra Towers, Center, Prime Bookshelf surrounds, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP, 4 x Prime Elevation object speakers, Marantz SR6011, Parasound A23, Panamax MR5100, LG OLED 65" B7
Basement Media Room - 3 x Martin Logan LX16, 2 x Pioneer SP-BS22-LR, SVS PC12+, Denon X3400H, Epson 5040UB, Silver Ticket 110" AT screen
post #9 of 19 Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Looks like The Incredibles isn't remastered in Atmos (at least from what I can see from Amazon.) Can anyone confirm?

I see dead pixels.......
post #10 of 19 Old 12-15-2018, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, it's no Deadpool What killing movies is people's refusal to try any different, that's why studios rehash things.
imagic likes this.

post #11 of 19 Old 12-15-2018, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
What killing movies is people's refusal to try any different, that's why studios rehash things.
Much truth in that. Actual story lines and great acting have become (not always but too many times) secondary to special effects and CGI. But that has been going on for as long as I can remember. Many of the early musicals (50's and 60's) were not great stories nor great acting but had great and memorable dance sequences. And I'm as guilty as the next person in enjoying those kinds of films.

The most recent Mission Impossible is a great example. Not a bad story line and not bad acting but they took a multi-times rehashed idea (stop this bomb or the world will end) and (at least for me) made it an enjoyable experience by all of the fun action sequences -- so that for the last 30 minutes of the movie, it was quite intense.
imagic, edved1 and tenthplanet like this.
post #12 of 19 Old 12-15-2018, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriilin View Post
Looks like The Incredibles isn't remastered in Atmos (at least from what I can see from Amazon.) Can anyone confirm?
When in doubt, go to BluRay.com. It (4K/HDR version) is in Atmos.
post #13 of 19 Old 12-15-2018, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I'll second the "go to BluRay.com" great site. See what just came out, what's coming out, and more info than you'll get elsewhere. Order it there. You'll be directed to Amazon.com. I'm a big fan of BluRay.com.
Kriilin likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 12-15-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
Thank you sir!

I see dead pixels.......
post #15 of 19 Old 12-18-2018, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Well, it's no Deadpool What killing movies is people's refusal to try any different, that's why studios rehash things.
Not to hijack the thread, but are you a 10th planet guy? Eddie Bravo school?
post #16 of 19 Old 12-18-2018, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Looking for some “fresh” titles to add to your Ultra HD Blu-ray collection? We’ve picked them out of a list of 200 titles from rottentomatoes.com

The movie review aggregation site rottentomatoes.com has recently published a list of “The 200 Freshest Movies of the Past 20 Years.” The list represents the movies that have the most positive reviews, since 1998, as ranked by the site. There’s a ton of good movies in the list, but 200 is a lot! So, what I have done is find all the movies in the list that are available in Ultra HD Blu-ray.

To check out the list, click this link: https://www.avsforum.com/freshest-mo...ra-hd-blu-ray/
This is a great idea. It would be much appreciated if you can update the list occasionally. I added several films from the list to my Amazon wishlist and I'll jump when the prices get below a certain threshold. I'll definitely be checking prices on Dec 26th.

I find it interesting, the people who are into home theater equipment and what type of movies they like. In my experience, lots of people into AV equipment mostly watch mainstream Hollywood films (not that there's anything wrong with that, people watch movies for different reasons).

And some people I know, who have a huge breadth of knowledge about films, I visit their homes and they own some crappy LCD television that's never been calibrated and listen thru its built-in speakers.
post #17 of 19 Old 12-18-2018, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Can't really comment on Marvel movies, because they're pretty much all redundant, tiresome rubbish for the unwashed masses and need to go away (IMHO ), but I think Get Out deserves the plaudits it's been getting. Neither of the two movies you mention seem to be getting the The Last Jedi levels of Rotten Tomatoes score dissonance either, so not sure why you would focus on those two other than maybe it bothers you that the protagonists in both are black?

Also, you do realize that Rotten Tomatoes simply divides "professional" reviews into either 'fresh' and 'rotten', right? If reviews are all considered more positive than negative, the movie will get 100%. Because that is a binary system, the user score probably is a better approximation of what the score would have been had the reviewers all been using a 1-10 point review score.

Sony XBR-65A1E
Oppo UDP-203
Pioneer LX-81 (Euro)
Pio S-81K , Pio S-LX70, Pio S-81W-MK SW
Apple TV 4K 32Gb

Last edited by Couch Viking; 12-18-2018 at 12:41 PM.
post #18 of 19 Old 12-18-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjutant View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but are you a 10th planet guy? Eddie Bravo school?
No, the handle is a reference to the search for Planet X sometimes known as the (possible) tenth planet. Good question tho

post #19 of 19 Old 12-18-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch Viking View Post
Can't really comment on Marvel movies, because they're pretty much all redundant, tiresome rubbish for the unwashed masses and need to go away (IMHO ), but I think Get Out deserves the plaudits it's been getting. Neither of the two movies you mention seem to be getting the The Last Jedi levels of Rotten Tomatoes score dissonance either, so not sure why you would focus on those two other than maybe it bothers you that the protagonists in both are black?

Also, you do realize that Rotten Tomatoes simply divides "professional" reviews into either 'fresh' and 'rotten', right? If reviews are all considered more positive than negative, the movie will get 100%. Because that is a binary system, the user score probably is a better approximation of what the score would have been had the reviewers all been using a 1-10 point review score.
At the heart of 'Get Out' is a solid horror film, Peele knows his horror history/roots and uses that to put his own spin. Someday he'll be thought of in the same rank as as Craven or Carpenter if he wants to stick with horror.
Couch Viking likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
4k movie , rotten tomatoes , ultra hd blu-ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page