Best HDMI Cables - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By mtbdudex
  • 1 Post By dubusduck
  • 1 Post By glennds
  • 1 Post By Panson
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 08-11-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Best HDMI Cables

Don’t spend tons of money on your home theater setup and then connect it all together with sub-par HDMI cables. At the same time there's no need to spend "extra" on HDMI cables because if they work, paying more won't get you better quality. Get the highest fidelity out of your components with our picks for the best HDMI cables!

Click this link to read more. Article by Greg Kennelty.



Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-13-2019 at 04:32 AM.
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Oh... and if you need to go beyond 30 feet these days fiber-optic HDMI prices have come way down, too.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #3 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
What do you recommend for the fiber optic version? I have a 50' run from the projector to the AVR. Due to my cathedral ceilings I thought a 30' would work, but I'm about 15' short.
tanman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
What do you recommend for the fiber optic version? I have a 50' run from the projector to the AVR. Due to my cathedral ceilings I thought a 30' would work, but I'm about 15' short.
There is a fiber optic option in the list, the "Phizli Fiber HDMI 2.0b 4K Cable." I suggested it for the list because it's what I'm using with my Sony VPL-VW295ES and Denon AVR. It's been working perfectly.

There are other options on Amazon too. I took a shot on that one and it just plain works perfectly. I prefer it to FIBBR brand, which I've tried. FIBBR was stiffer and hard to handle. Either way, fiber is the way to go for 50 foot runs, for sure.
tanman likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #5 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
^^ I saw a couple of them in monoprice but they were close to a couple of Benjamins. If this Phizli is easily maneuverable then that is the one for me. My crawl space is tight from the projector up to the ceiling and many sharp turns, which I really hate to put the fiber through it without kinking it but it is the way to go an it is much cheaper. Thanks.
tanman is online now  
post #6 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
^^ I saw a couple of them in monoprice but they were close to a couple of Benjamins. If this Phizli is easily maneuverable then that is the one for me. My crawl space is tight from the projector up to the ceiling and many sharp turns, which I really hate to put the fiber through it without kinking it but it is the way to go an it is much cheaper. Thanks.
It has a smooth, tough outer sleeve and is very flexible too. Feels and acts very similar to a typical analog RCA interconnect cable or USB cable. I'd even say it's thinner and more flexible than most copper HDMI cables.
tanman likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #7 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
It has a smooth, tough outer sleeve and is very flexible too. Feels and acts very similar to a typical analog RCA interconnect cable or USB cable. I'd even say it's thinner and more flexible than most copper HDMI cables.

Thinner and flexible, that is all I need. Thanks again.
tanman is online now  
post #8 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
One last question. If I run this 50' fiber cable to a keystone type wall jack for HDMI, and from there run another 6 foot certified premium HDMI to the AVR would I loose the signal quality?
tanman is online now  
post #9 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
One last question. If I run this 50' fiber cable to a keystone type wall jack for HDMI, and from there run another 6 foot certified premium HDMI to the AVR would I loose the signal quality?
Apparently you cannot put a switch in the signal path with fiber HDMI, it needs to go all the way. I have not tested it but apparently that's the catch.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #10 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Apparently you cannot put a switch in the signal path with fiber HDMI, it needs to go all the way. I have not tested it but apparently that's the catch.

Okay thanks I read that after I posted. I will have to use a different keystone entry from the wall.
tanman is online now  
post #11 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 14,790
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3326 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
What do you recommend for the fiber optic version? I have a 50' run from the projector to the AVR. Due to my cathedral ceilings I thought a 30' would work, but I'm about 15' short.
Ruipro4k hybrid fiber. Single connection, source to sink. No switches, wall plates, adapters, etc. Be mindful of bend radius and stress on the HDMI input if you are not using a conduit, which you should be at 50' . 4k HDR is really finicky with its connection so you you want to make sure that there are no "interruptions" in the signal path. Hybrid fiber cables are active so you can't, or shouldn't, daisy chain them.
tanman likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #12 of 25 Old 08-14-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 6,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
This has been the go-to thread on HDMI cables on AVS
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...i-2-0b-42.html

fwfw, I have a 50 foot optical RUIPRO that works flawlessly in my food chain xbox 1x>Denon 8500H > JVC RS400

I attach pages 6-7-8 from the first post info (it's updated 6-2019)
page 6


page 7


page 8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI CABLES PERFORMANCE EVALUATION & TESTING REPORT #1 _ 50FT 15M+ LENGTH CABLES v3 SML_Page_08.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	472.5 KB
ID:	2602870   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI CABLES PERFORMANCE EVALUATION & TESTING REPORT #1 _ 50FT 15M+ LENGTH CABLES v3 SML_Page_07.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	2602872   Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI CABLES PERFORMANCE EVALUATION & TESTING REPORT #1 _ 50FT 15M+ LENGTH CABLES v3 SML_Page_06.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	2602874  
Panson likes this.
mtbdudex is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 08-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Senior Member
 
dubusduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Are guys really recommending a Monster HDMI 1080P HDMI Cable as a best HDMI cable that is not being manufactured any more?

LG 65EF9500: Sony UBP-X800; Oppo 105D; Denon 7200WA; Polk LSI; Axiom Audio M5HP; SVS SB-13 Ultra; John 3:16;
dubusduck is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 08-14-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
Are guys really recommending a Monster HDMI 1080P HDMI Cable as a best HDMI cable that is not being manufactured any more?
Uh... no. Did you read the post? It was meant to be humorous.

I guess maybe the sarcasm is not obvious enough. Deleted.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-14-2019 at 02:46 PM.
imagic is online now  
post #15 of 25 Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
This has been the go-to thread on HDMI cables on AVS
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...i-2-0b-42.html

fwfw, I have a 50 foot optical RUIPRO that works flawlessly in my food chain xbox 1x>Denon 8500H > JVC RS400
That is excellent, thank you for posting that link.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #16 of 25 Old 08-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
dubusduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Uh... no. Did you read the post? It was meant to be humorous.

I guess maybe the sarcasm is not obvious enough. Deleted.
Yeah, I did twice. The first time the article was published it was immediately closed for comment. The second time it was published, I commented. The glaring omission is Belkin's 48 gbps HDMI cable Maybe recommending cables based on customer comments is sarcasm too

I'm surprised you did not like Fibbr glass fiber cables. The Utra Pro you did not like has a cool feature wherein the end of the cable lights up to shine on the port you are trying to put the cable into which is handy if your TV is wall mounted. The Crystal series is much more flexible, has a 4th fiber optic cable, is clear like Samsung's One Connect cable, but does not have ARC due to the lack of copper cables which the Ultra Pro does.

Any way, to each his own. I still think my old Monster THX HDMI cables are the bomb
imagic likes this.

LG 65EF9500: Sony UBP-X800; Oppo 105D; Denon 7200WA; Polk LSI; Axiom Audio M5HP; SVS SB-13 Ultra; John 3:16;
dubusduck is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
Yeah, I did twice. The first time the article was published it was immediately closed for comment. The second time it was published, I commented. The glaring omission is Belkin's 48 gbps HDMI cable Maybe recommending cables based on customer comments is sarcasm too

I'm surprised you did not like Fibbr glass fiber cables. The Utra Pro you did not like has a cool feature wherein the end of the cable lights up to shine on the port you are trying to put the cable into which is handy if your TV is wall mounted. The Crystal series is much more flexible, has a 4th fiber optic cable, is clear like Samsung's One Connect cable, but does not have ARC due to the lack of copper cables which the Ultra Pro does.

Any way, to each his own. I still think my old Monster THX HDMI cables are the bomb
Well there happens to be a free spot! I'll add it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #18 of 25 Old 08-15-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,135
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubusduck View Post
Are guys really recommending a Monster HDMI 1080P HDMI Cable as a best HDMI cable that is not being manufactured any more?
That would be a monster mistake!
tanman is online now  
post #19 of 25 Old 08-17-2019, 05:43 AM
Senior Member
 
glennds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southern WV
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Oh... and if you need to go beyond 30 feet ....
For up to 100' I'm using this Monoprice HDMI Extender which uses Cat5 or Cat6 cables (I don't use ARC so I'm not sure if this set up has ARC capability)....
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8121
imagic likes this.

MAIN SPEAKERS: (2) Chane A5rx-c. CENTER SPKR: (1) Chane A2.4. SURROUND SPKRS: (4) Chane A1.4.
AVR: Onkyo TX-SR706. MAIN AMP: ATI 1506. SUBS: (1) 15" DIY sealed box, (2) 18" Fi DIY IB. SUB AMP: Behringer EP4000. TV: plasma Panasonic TC-P55VT50. REMOTE: Harmony 700.
glennds is online now  
post #20 of 25 Old 08-17-2019, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennds View Post
For up to 100' I'm using this Monoprice HDMI Extender which uses Cat5 or Cat6 cables (I don't use ARC so I'm not sure if this set up has ARC capability)....
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8121
I need to give that product a shot, seems worthy of inclusion.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #21 of 25 Old 08-17-2019, 05:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Don’t spend tons of money on your home theater setup and then connect it all together with sub-par HDMI cables. At the same time there's no need to spend "extra" on HDMI cables because if they work, paying more won't get you better quality. Get the highest fidelity out of your components with our picks for the best HDMI cables!

Click this link to read more. Article by Greg Kennelty.


Imagic, you need to get an Audioquest Chocolate for the tastiest HDMI picture, didn't you know that 😎
Gerry1975 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 08-17-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1975 View Post
Imagic, you need to get an Audioquest Chocolate for the tastiest HDMI picture, didn't you know that 😎
Pearl, Cinnamon, Forest, Carbon, Vodka, Cappucino as well, with no need for Premium High Speed with Ethernet description.
tanman likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
Panson is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 08-17-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,655
Mentioned: 426 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8918 Post(s)
Liked: 15721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Pearl, Cinnamon, Forest, Carbon, Vodka, Cappucino as well, with no need for Premium High Speed with Ethernet description.
I'll be sure to pick some of those tasty cables up next time I'm at Starbucks, lol. That is where you buy cables these days, right?

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
imagic is online now  
post #24 of 25 Old 08-17-2019, 01:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Pearl, Cinnamon, Forest, Carbon, Vodka, Cappucino as well, with no need for Premium High Speed with Ethernet description.
Well actually Audioquest cables leave out description of some relevant stuff that people want to confirm, but their cables do work with those features. I own their entry level cable, namely the pearl, I only have one of these , my other HDMI cables are of different brands but I did not even see the description on the pearl's Amazon page say 18 Gbps, but I bought and tested it and it works with all HDMI 2.0b features and no issues with arc or eARC. I got it from Amazon for under 40 bucks (1.5m length) so I don't consider that as expensive, in terms of build quality it's among the best hdmi's I've owned, audioquest's build quality has never been in question, ofcourse no bearing on video or audio as it's a digital cable but looks and feels impressive, certainly not like some HDMI cables that look like a cheap Chinese factory cable from a bulk lot. The third cable in the first row in the image that the OP posted is infact the AQ Pearl.
Gerry1975 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 08-17-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 1246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1975 View Post
Well actually Audioquest cables leave out description of some relevant stuff that people want to confirm, but their cables do work with those features. I own their entry level cable, namely the pearl, I only have one of these , my other HDMI cables are of different brands but I did not even see the description on the pearl's Amazon page say 18 Gbps, but I bought and tested it and it works with all HDMI 2.0b features and no issues with arc or eARC. I got it from Amazon for under 40 bucks (1.5m length) so I don't consider that as expensive, in terms of build quality it's among the best hdmi's I've owned, audioquest's build quality has never been in question, ofcourse no bearing on video or audio as it's a digital cable but looks and feels impressive, certainly not like some HDMI cables that look like a cheap Chinese factory cable from a bulk lot. The third cable in the first row in the image that the OP posted is infact the AQ Pearl.

I now see that.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
Panson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
hdmi cables

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off