Best Multiroom Wireless Speaker Systems - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-19-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9166 Post(s)
Liked: 16164
Best Multiroom Wireless Speaker Systems

Multiroom wireless speaker systems bring great sound to your entire home without you ever having to move a single speaker. Think of it as a convenient solution to having a home theater setup all over your house, and of course, we’ve got our premium picks for you.

Click here to read more. Article by Greg Kennelty.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 10-12-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-20-2019, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked: 322
I don't see any mention of the software element in this article and it's the control software that can make or break a multi-room system, the Samsung M-7 series of speakers had better sound than any of the Sonos speakers BUT the control software was atrocious, only available for mobile devices (no windows control software) and would continually lose connection with the speakers and forget about your speakers groups.

How about a review or mention of the software used to manage the systems?

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #3 of 9 Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
No surprise that the Google Home XL nor the smaller ones were on this list as Amazon refuse to sell them.

They are very good for filling a house with music and dead easy to set up.

Tower Cinema - 9.1.6 in a 12'x12' room
Input : Nvidia Shield TV, Panasonic DMP-UB400
Magic : Marantz SR7010, Marantz SR6010, 2x NAD T743
Output : Panasonic TX65EZ952B, SVS PB13 Ultra, Monitor Audio GSLCR 2xGS20 2xGS10 4xGSFX 6xBX1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
May I have a little rant?
Remember when multiroom meant you could play whatever was on your main system, or possibly a second source, to remote speakers over wires?
As far as I can tell none of the speakers listed here can do this with my Onkyo TX-NR676! I purchased it recently to replace my trusty older Onkyo which met its demise after a lightning strike. Now I have a "network" receiver I'm looking forward to going mutiroom crazy to speakers all over the house. First up I tried Play-Fi and got the Phorus PR5 to hook up to my remote powered speakers. Got all the software setup, but no option to use the Onkyo as the source!
"Works with Sonos" it says, so maybe the Sonos Connect is the answer? Nope, you can't send audio from the Onkyo to the Sonos speakers, but you can make it the destination for whatever music is floating around your Sonos system.
Bluetooth? Er, no again. You can stream TO the Onkyo but not stream FROM the Onkyo, not even to bluetooth headphones!
See the pattern here? It seems the network works only one way - TO the receiver. So I have multiple redundant ways of streaming to the receiver, the aforementioned plus Chromecast, Airplay and probably a few others I forget, but not a single method to 'cast FROM the receiver!!!!!
Wait, I missed one thing - Flareconnect should be able to do what I want but only if I get new wireless speakers, which are few and far between from Onkyo or Pioneer. Certainly there seems to be no Flareconnect receiver I can use with my existing powered speakers.

I'm not trying to get all negative about the Onkyo, in may ways it is an excellent receiver which I'm enjoying. I'm not sure any other receivers can do what I want either, but I must say the networking capability falls well short of what it could be.

I have since found I can get some audio 2.4GHz transmitter/receiver pairs and connect to zone 2, but that additional hardware should be unnecessary on a "networked" receiver.

OK, thank you, rant over.

Steve
post #5 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Play music from iTunes on PC

I have my PC in my library and have thousands of CDs in my iTunes library. My living room is 30 feet away, out of the range of Bluetooth.

What powered speakers can I use in my living room to stream music from my PC's iTunes library to my living room? What iOS app can I use for control?

Seems to me that the speakers would have to connect with my PC through wifi.

Would have loved to use these speakers, but only connect through Bluetooth: Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers
post #6 of 9 Old 10-08-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar_Shah View Post
Play music from iTunes on PC

What powered speakers can I use in my living room to stream music from my PC's iTunes library to my living room? What iOS app can I use for control?

Pretty much anything that supports AirPlay will do the job eg KEF LSX or LS50. On the PC chose the AirPlay speakers to play to & on iOS use the iTunes Remote app from Apple to control the library. Or if you like the Edifier's get a Apple Airport Express and use it's toslink/3.5mm audio to connect to the speakers and use the Airport as a AirPlay target from the PC.

Krix Harmonix Mk2 (L,R), Vortex Mk2 (C), Dynamix (R), Atmospherix a20 (Ceiling), Seismix 3 (Sub)
Yamaha RX-A3060, Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector, 105" Fixed Screen
Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Beyonwiz DP-P1 DVR, Foxtel iQ2 Sat
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets84 View Post
Pretty much anything that supports AirPlay will do the job eg KEF LSX or LS50. On the PC chose the AirPlay speakers to play to & on iOS use the iTunes Remote app from Apple to control the library. Or if you like the Edifier's get a Apple Airport Express and use it's toslink/3.5mm audio to connect to the speakers and use the Airport as a AirPlay target from the PC.
So Airport Express will work remotely, without having to plugged in to my cable modem with an ethernet cable? If I understand you, Airport Express will connect to the same home wifi network my PC connects to.

Do not have an ethernet connection available in the living room where the Airport Express and Edifier powered speakers will be.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar_Shah View Post
So Airport Express will work remotely, without having to plugged in to my cable modem with an ethernet cable? If I understand you, Airport Express will connect to the same home wifi network my PC connects to.
Yes. The AirPort Express can be configured in client mode. Select "Add to an existing wireless network" during it's setup via the AirPort Utility which has a iOS version. With a firmware update 7.8 it will support AirPlay 2 and Home app. See here for instructions. Another benefit of being in client mode is that you can connect a network device that doesn't have WiFi to the AirPort Express via ethernet and that will give it network access.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201621
https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/28/how-t...isting-router/
https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/28/airpo...lay-2-homekit/

The AirPort Express has been discontinued but Apple is still doing software updates for it. Get a Gen 2 (2012) version which is easy to find on eBay. The Gen 1 hardware is the one that plugs directly into a power point, I wouldn't get one of those. I used to use this same setup with my old Denon AVR that didn't have network support. Worked well. I also setup this for a friend but with multiple AirPort expresses to do multi room audio.

Krix Harmonix Mk2 (L,R), Vortex Mk2 (C), Dynamix (R), Atmospherix a20 (Ceiling), Seismix 3 (Sub)
Yamaha RX-A3060, Sony VPL-HW40ES Projector, 105" Fixed Screen
Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Beyonwiz DP-P1 DVR, Foxtel iQ2 Sat
post #9 of 9 Old 10-10-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets84 View Post
Yes. The AirPort Express can be configured in client mode. Select "Add to an existing wireless network" during it's setup via the AirPort Utility which has a iOS version. With a firmware update 7.8 it will support AirPlay 2 and Home app. See here for instructions. Another benefit of being in client mode is that you can connect a network device that doesn't have WiFi to the AirPort Express via ethernet and that will give it network access.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201621
https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/28/how-t...isting-router/
https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/28/airpo...lay-2-homekit/

The AirPort Express has been discontinued but Apple is still doing software updates for it. Get a Gen 2 (2012) version which is easy to find on eBay. The Gen 1 hardware is the one that plugs directly into a power point, I wouldn't get one of those. I used to use this same setup with my old Denon AVR that didn't have network support. Worked well. I also setup this for a friend but with multiple AirPort expresses to do multi room audio.
Ya da man, Rocket84
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
amazon echo , bluesound , heos , Sonos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page