• 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 13 Old 09-22-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9165 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Best of CEDIA 2019

"With CEDIA 2019 all wrapped up, it’s time to take a look back on some of the best products and demos at the show. These choices range from subwoofers and soundbars to entire speaker lines and even a demo of a high-end home theater system that’s shipped to your home in crates! From the affordable to higher end, here are our picks for the Best of CEDIA 2019."

Click here to read more. Article by Greg Kennelty.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 09-22-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-23-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Curious as to Epson L500 pricing.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-23-2019, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4 View Post
Curious as to Epson L500 pricing.
The MSRP is $5000 for the 100 inch version and $6000 for the 120 inch version. These projectors ship with included UST compatible screens in those two sizes.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-23-2019, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Badass! I like the Elac and Polk for sure,I cant argue with anything on this list.
tenthplanet and Blitzdog like this.

Chemist
post #5 of 13 Old 09-23-2019, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull0669 View Post
Badass! I like the Elac and Polk for sure,I cant argue with anything on this list.
In the end it was a good show, if I had a dozen more awards I would've had no problem handing those out as well.

I think the most exciting development is the continuing development of 4K DLP laser-light source projectors that don't use a color wheel. That's the technology package that puts a big, sharp, uniform picture up on screen at "low" cost. Give the UST laser category a few more years to mature. The key is including the right type of screen, which LG and Epson are doing.
Pitbull0669 and Nordo like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 13 Old 09-23-2019, 05:33 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 174
SDA sounds interesting. Did you hear them, Mark? How were they off axis, like if you had a four seat wide theater would the side seats have any issues? Does it limit the dispersion? Is there a tight sweet spot issue like with electrostatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
In the end it was a good show, if I had a dozen more awards I would've had no problem handing those out as well.
I left debating if I wait another year for my TV upgrade or do it this fall. Thoughts?
post #7 of 13 Old 09-23-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
SDA sounds interesting. Did you hear them, Mark? How were they off axis, like if you had a four seat wide theater would the side seats have any issues? Does it limit the dispersion? Is there a tight sweet spot issue like with electrostatics?

I left debating if I wait another year for my TV upgrade or do it this fall. Thoughts?
I heard them... a lot. At RMAF 2019, I went to the demo room after hours and played whatever I wanted at whatever volume levels I wanted. So I added that to the "formal" demo experience, which does in fact include a segment where listeners are encouraged to leave the center and experience how the effect does travel.

But look, in my experience all speakers that offer incredible imaging do their best work when you are sitting centered. When people talk of ultra-wide sweet spots IMO that is more related to dispersion and whether tonality is maintained. The finely crafted 3D soundstade illusions conjured by these SDAs demand you are a good audiophile and sit on the proper triangle, etc. But having said that, you get great imaging if you are a bit off center, and everything is relative so can fairly say it's better than the imaging you get with another system sitting off center. You get more seating flexibility than with large electrostats, for sure.

Behaviour-wise you would not know that there's anything different about these speakers versus regular high-end towers. THey are, first and foremost, powerful and accurate speakers with HUGE cabinets for the bass section so they have that depth you expect when you spend the bucks.

------

The TV question is an eternal conundrum. Wait for Black Friday and see if any of the deals brings you to the breaking point, lol. ANyhow, CEDIA is not a TV show you'd need to wait for CES in January to know what 2020 will bring.
anjunadeep and Panson like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #8 of 13 Old 09-23-2019, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Behaviour-wise you would not know that there's anything different about these speakers versus regular high-end towers. THey are, first and foremost, powerful and accurate speakers with HUGE cabinets for the bass section so they have that depth you expect when you spend the bucks.
Awesome, thanks.

Quote:
The TV question is an eternal conundrum. Wait for Black Friday and see if any of the deals brings you to the breaking point, lol. ANyhow, CEDIA is not a TV show you'd need to wait for CES in January to know what 2020 will bring.
I guess the main thing I'm concerned about is the new HDMI standards and if buying a tv on the dawn of them would be a bad idea?
post #9 of 13 Old 09-23-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjunadeep View Post
Awesome, thanks.

I guess the main thing I'm concerned about is the new HDMI standards and if buying a tv on the dawn of them would be a bad idea?
That concern is mostly applicable to gaming. For movies and TV video, I don't think there's a new disc-based format on its way that's going to obsolete these TVs, and certainly nothing on the broadcast side. Main thing is you'd have to wait a year anyhow for a next-gen console.
Pitbull0669 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #10 of 13 Old 09-25-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
Liked: 3236
So much good stuff , so little money Oh well

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
post #11 of 13 Old 09-25-2019, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 72
8K source material?

If you buy the LG Z9 TV with 8K resolution, what source material can you play on it? Is there interesting 8K stuff out there?
post #12 of 13 Old 09-25-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycruise View Post
If you buy the LG Z9 TV with 8K resolution, what source material can you play on it? Is there interesting 8K stuff out there?
You'd be a bit limited at the moment, in terms of native content.

Personally, I would use such a TV to look at digital still photography (i.e. slide shows) because you can put a 32 megapixel photo up on screen and look at at at 100% magnification. That's been a bit of a dream of mine as a photographer.

It's also possible to purchase a camera that can capture extremely high quality 6K footage for not too much money (relative to the cost of the TV). So the short answer is, your own source material.

I'm not sure what plans there are to distribute the 8K Tokyo Olympics footage, but that's a potential source. There is also some 8K on YouTube. And I would expect that gamers will see 8K options at passable frame rates sometime in the next year or two.
Blitzdog likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #13 of 13 Old 09-25-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
First review?

"LG 2019 Z9 Signature 8K OLED TV (88Z9PUA)"

Quote:
The back left of the panel house the TV's various connections, including four HDMI 2.1 inputs (one ARC/eARC), offering support for high frame rate (HFR) 120 fps playback, enhanced audio return channel (eARC), and gaming features like variable refresh rate (VRR) and an automatic low latency mode (ALLM) when connected to a compatible device. With that said, select HDMI 2.1 features will require a future firmware update to operate.

....But while peak and full-screen brightness capabilities are not as high as flagship LCD models, the panel's pixel-level contrast is still able to produce stunning images, resulting in overall HDR performance that bests any LCD I've tested.
https://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/777...e8koledtv.html

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo

Last edited by Panson; 09-25-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
best of cedia 2019

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page