It's Been a Wild Decade for AV and Home Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 57Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 01-03-2020, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I would love to see TV's connected to AV recievers using e-ARC so i can route all my devices to my TV and then only the audio to the receiver via e-ARC. Then i can save money and get a less expensive receiver that will not be outdated due to HDR10+, Dolby Vision, etc.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears

Last edited by Jim Kiler; 01-03-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 01-03-2020, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1313 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Some things just never change:
- Projector with deep black is still expensive
- AT projector screen is still not common
- Movie file size that keeps on getting bigger (my ISP can't cope with it)
- People still believe 16:9 is bigger than 2.39:1
- Damn DRM
- Anti-piracy warning for law abiding citizens
BobDyl likes this.

Last edited by Skylinestar; 01-03-2020 at 09:18 PM.
post #33 of 54 Old 01-03-2020, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
4K NFL will arrive, Thursday Night Football is the harbringer.
Espn and Fox are still 720p!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 Old 01-04-2020, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATWindsor View Post
Seems highly unlikely to me, the first wan't able to, and since then 3D has lost a lot of traction.
From a content standpoint, the first Avatar did play a significant role in making 3D more popular and bringing 3D to home theatres (both TV and projector-based). That said, the release of the first Avatar coincided with new 3D display technology (active and passive 3D) becoming an economically feasible option for display makers to implement. It took both content and new technology to produce the short-lived wave in popularity that we saw in the early 2010’s. Had Avatar only been done in anaglypth 3D, it would not have had the impact that it did.

Along those same lines, I don’t see much hope that Avatar 2 will bring a true resurgence in the popularity of 3D unless it’s release is accompanied by a leap in 3D display technology, such as autostereoscopic (glasses-free) 3D. Will it create a temporary bump in 3D box-office revenue? Definitely. Will owners of 3D projectors use the feature more in the months following it’s inevitable release on home video than they have in the past few years? Sure. Will a few fans who don’t already own a 3D-capable display go out and buy a 3D-capable projector setup or a set of VR glasses to experience it at home? More than likely. But, I don’t believe that it would drive a substantial number of customers to go out and buy a new TV set which uses old 3D display technology. More importantly, I don’t think TV manufacturer’s believe that it would. And, as a result (as much as I would love to see passive 3D brought back to new OLED TV’s) I don’t think it will happen.
post #35 of 54 Old 01-05-2020, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Wink

Predictions are fun, so, in 2030:

1) Panels per se will be gone. Instead you will paint the area you want on a wall with OLED-active paint and use a kind of projector to instruct each molecular mixel as to what wavelength and intensity to emit. Implants allowing full immersive VR that directly stimulates the optic nerve will be technically possible, but government policy will prevent mass-market, so that will be the differentiator for the uber-technorati who will be using their resources to get exemptions to the invasive government controls placed on the general populace. [One might even argue that the "war on distraction" will replace the "war on drugs" because of the need for increased GNP].

2) No speakers per se, instead ear tracking technology will allow synthesizing and projecting appropriate (multi dimensional) audio for each individual in the room, also allowing each to hear a different language dub. [Note that the technology to do this already exists at low TRL].

3) Dolby/DIRAC etc. will have reached the point where noise dampening to -80dB will be synthesizable for any room with relatively low cost (compared to current technology), allowing immersive experience for apartment dwellers near highways. [See #2 , essentially you just generate a counter-compression wave and project it. If you have enough sensors at the periphery you don't need to have them at the point of projection.]

4) No more discs, or even permanent licensing of content. Everything streamed using a rental/subscription model. [Already moving in this direction - subscription services up, disc purchases down.]

5) There will be the beginning of the equivalent of MIDI for creators, allowing schematic content to have various elements (like actor, style, setting) synthesized in real-time. This won't be available in the home in 2030, but will be by 2040. ("Siri, show me 'Terminator 2' set in 1854 Britain with Charlie Chaplain playing the terminator, and soundtrack by Vangelis.") [if you think this is a pipe dream, you haven't been paying attention to what's happening with deep fakes and computer based synthesis/imitation].

6) we will see the beginning of a merge between VR/AR and RR (real reality). Some will no longer be able to distinguish between them, leading to a whole new supplement to the DSM-VI.
post #36 of 54 Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post
Espn and Fox are still 720p!
I stopped watching my local news on Fox and ABC as i would rather get 1080p weather from CBS and NBC.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
post #37 of 54 Old 01-05-2020, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Post In The Year Two Thou Zannnnnnnnd (Thirty)

ATSC 3.0 and HLG HDR - My HD Homerun may be the best purchase I've made in the last two years. OTA may have better (visual) quality sports content than anything you can stream.

3D movies flourish but only in VR - Studios are making deals with the VR headset makers. VR headsets are still in their infancy. By the end of the decade they will be super high resoultion and lightweight. (I've watched Gravity on an OLED based Rift and the potential is staggering).

Real Surround headphones - Not the fake garbage surround seen in "gaming" headsets. Audio/surround processing in headset will get better.

Software Ecosystem and Ease of Use - More things like auto low latency mode will start to make quality setups plug and play for average consumers. I've seen way too many people with misconfigured cable boxes watching in 480i on their fancy TVs.

Open Source Audio Processing - Long shot but I think we'll start to see home-made audio only receivers using free/open software. I build my own routers for my network, and I think we may see more stuff like this emerge but it will require more open audio codecs, or good workarounds for decoding.

Home automation is coming together - I tell Alexa to turn off my TV and it's awesome. Home theaters will begin to merge in seamlessly. The big players all agreed to a standard in 2019. Apple, Google, and Amazon create “CHIP,” a new smart home standard

eARC will lead to a market for more affordable audio only receivers. Maybe I don't want my Denon to handle video anymore.

Bluetooth headphones with (real) surround sound. Bluetooth can broadcast a signal to multiple listeners now. Maybe even microphones so you can talk to your spouse while using Black Hawk Down to develop tinnitus in an apartment.

Bass shakers. Because they add so much to Michael Bay movies, and they won't wake up your neighbors.

And tounge in cheek - 8k will only be available in curved TVs - Meaning it will cease to exist. Superbowl is 720p (1 megapixel). 8k is 32 megapixels. 32x the resolution is so far beyond the point of severely diminishing returns that it's laughable. Can we focus on things that actually matter instead of selling the biggest number? Film in 10k, image stabilize down to 8k. Convert to 4k to kill any noise and call it a day. [email protected] in HDR for sports is good enough (ducks).

Last edited by Kirkus Maximus; 01-05-2020 at 10:25 AM.
post #38 of 54 Old 01-05-2020, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Fun article! I am going to go with huge impact for enhanced virtual reality over the next decade. As 5G slowly gets rolled out, VR will include more of the senses, and the ability to " see the world" ( and experience it) from our living rooms. Great for us as we all age a bit.
post #39 of 54 Old 01-05-2020, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowler View Post
With all the changes coming fast and furious I still think its hard to beat watching a good action blu ray on my 60 in. plasma with a 5.2 system.

I look at a lot of screens at best buy and so far I'm not ready to upgrade on the video end.
I still love my 60 in. Elite 150 which is 12 years old. What a work horse. Between myself, wife and granddaughter the thing is on at least 10 hours a day and just as good as it was when it was new. I will only get a new OLED when it dies. I really don't need anything more than my 5.1 sound system.
BobDyl likes this.
post #40 of 54 Old 01-06-2020, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1106 View Post
^^"the future is easy, not necessarily better." As I slide...tumble forward in age, easy is "better".

So for me a wild decade in terms of affordability and "1080p'' tech price drops. My 70" TV purchased for thousands at the beginning of the decade can be had for a few hundred now while my complete basement media room cost approximately as much as said TV. A media room with a 151.5" 16:9 image, a decent 1080p projector with a good feature set/lens shift, a 7.2 AVR, 7.4 sound, 6 pairs of 3D glasses, 6 pairs of wireless headphones, a painted $50ish wall/screen and a 3D blu-ray player.

A decade that now sees me sitting in my comfy chair accessing cable, rented/purchased movies, Netflix/Amazon/YouTube and others via my cable box while asking Alexa to turn on off lights or to provide details on performers or to play music.

A decade of price drops leading to equipment allowing a decent "setup" in minutes with the AVR's auto setup and a 1K"ish" projector with good features/lens shift. (I will never again buy a projector without lens shift... no more standing on a ladder trying to dial the darn thing in.)

All these changes leading to ease of use/setup while I slide towards becoming my father. Every time I ask one of my grown kids an I-phone question and get the look/tone that conveys "Dad is tech old/dumb/slow", I can hear my dad asking me how to program the VCR and me giving him the same look/tone. (To be fair it was about 20 or 30 years of him asking me on VCRs....let's see 1980s until 2015 so 40 years... I wish he was around to ask me one more time...of course I would probably have to get my kids to figure it out for me now and we would both get the look/tone.)

Next decade...er...this decade, I might try that newfangled 4K and Atmos.
I love everything about this post. I'm not sure I'm quite as old as you (lol), but I feel the same way.

I have moved into 4k in my living room, and I'm looking to do so in my basement. Atmos may be a while, as I don't want to upgrade my AVR. I just wish I had more room in my basement for a wider screen. Unfortunately that isn't something I can fix where I currently live, and I'm not looking to change that anytime soon.

Here is to missing our dad's (Mine gone way too soon as well) and our kids giving us that dumb look when we ask them phone questions!
BobDyl, steve1106 and RagtopFE like this.

post #41 of 54 Old 01-06-2020, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRandy View Post
I find that I'm in agreement with all of your prognostications!

I built my Dedicated Home Theater in 2003. I've swapped out the projector twice (now fully 4k UHD) and the AVR once. And although there have been advances along the way, it still holds up as a terrific place to watch a movie.

So here's my prediction: although fewer and fewer will build Dedicated Home Theaters, they will remain the closer ideal to screening movies and TV. Even the best tech will have a hard time providing fully immersive sound without artifacts, reflections, and intrusions, as well as deal with lighting, etc.

And here the one non-tech thing that is almost impossible to overcome without a dedicated room: distractions. When we watch tv in another room I find that others, as well as myself, looking at phones, glancing at others passing through or in connected rooms, talking, etc. But in the theater all is focused on the content.

I've already decided that if we move sometime in the future I will not build a new theater. But I'm growing uncertain about that decision. Maybe I'll just call it a media room.
For me, it's the same thing. I don't have near the setup as many of you, but in my basement I have a 7.2 system with a row of 4 and a row of 3 theater seats and a 96 inch screen. But on each side of the screen I have a 42 and 32 inch TV because on Saturday's I want to watch college football. I have the ability to curtain those TV's for movie watching, but it's still my home theater. I've even upgrade my living room to a 7.1 system (with atmos capability, I need to do that) and a 65 inch 4K TV...because I don't like watching "regular" TV anymore.

post #42 of 54 Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kiler View Post
I would love to see TV's connected to AV recievers using e-ARC so i can route all my devices to my TV and then only the audio to the receiver via e-ARC. Then i can save money and get a less expensive receiver that will not be outdated due to HDR10+, Dolby Vision, etc.
Why can't you do that today? I know I can't do that with my TV since it doesn't have Dolby Atmos. If your TV has DA, then it should be able to be the hub of your HTS. My TV remote controls the cable box, AVR, and the menu function of PS4 with eARC. I'm using the AVR as the hub.

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #43 of 54 Old 01-06-2020, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't enjoy raining on everyone's parade here but meaningful AV innovations will slow down and "quantity / mobility / convenience over quality" trends will continue. Next generation of consumers will care even less about 7. whatever.whatever audio setups as soundbars/ virtualization will improve to "good enough" level for many. Same goes for video. There won't be any dramatic visible "night and day"improvements beyond 4K HDR as it was with 480 vs1080.
Not that I would mind if I'm wrong
post #44 of 54 Old 01-06-2020, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

My fault, your x930e doesn't have DA. My x900e doesn't have DA or DV!

Sony XBR65x900e / STR-DN1080 / original PS4 / WOW! Ultra TV / Quantum Access Mini PC Stick w/Windows 10 / 8 x Rockville SPG88 8“ DJ PA Speakers / Dayton Audio SA1000 / Kicker 08S15L74 in a Tapped-Tapered Quarter Wave Tube (negative flare tapped horn).
post #45 of 54 Old 01-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP1Fanatic View Post
My fault, your x930e doesn't have DA. My x900e doesn't have DA or DV!
Atmos is not my issue as I only have 5.1 but i would love to have cheaper receivers with only audio via e-ARC that does not need upgrading when DV 2.0 arrives. Further video uses way more bandwidth than audio so it makes sense to send the video signal direct to the TV and audio to go through an intermediary.

post #46 of 54 Old 01-07-2020, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Cool

The vast majority of people will be watching filmed entertainment on 8K 6" phone screens and think it looks rad. Aging home theater junkies will be debating 16K "reality vision" screens and 70.10.40 immersive sound solutions, also known as the Thunderdome. Everyone will be lusting after the latest pre-pre-pre-processor that provides a video and audio signal so transparent it can't be seen ... or heard. One guy will insist his 60" Kuro is still state of the art. Each TV show will have its own separate streaming subscription service. The earth will be a bit warmer, so CES will move to Alaska. These are my predictions. Happy new year everybody!
imagic, natchie, WhiskeyJ and 1 others like this.

5.2.4: JVC RS540 | Stewart Greyhawk 120” 2.35 | AudioControl AVR-9 | Oppo 203 | TV 4K | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra | Triad Rackamp 700 | Gold/6 LCR | Silver surrounds & heights | Bronze/6 subs
5.1: Sony 940E | AudioControl AVR-7 | TV 4K | Xbox One X | Roku Ultra | Tivo Roamio OTA | Triad Rackamp 300 | Bronze/4 LCRS | Bronze/4 sub
post #47 of 54 Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

You know it!

post #48 of 54 Old 01-10-2020, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Atmos is not my issue as I only have 5.1 but i would love to have cheaper receivers with only audio via e-ARC that does not need upgrading when DV 2.0 arrives. Further video uses way more bandwidth than audio so it makes sense to send the video signal direct to the TV and audio to go through an intermediary.
Technically, we are already on DV 2.9. Don't worry though, the next bump up is already in the works. In fact, they are skipping 3.0 and going directly to 4.0. It's actually been implemented in some newer devices just not being used by anyone yet.
Jim Kiler likes this.
post #49 of 54 Old 01-11-2020, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvLee View Post
Technically, we are already on DV 2.9. Don't worry though, the next bump up is already in the works. In fact, they are skipping 3.0 and going directly to 4.0. It's actually been implemented in some newer devices just not being used by anyone yet.
Do you have any info on what is changing?

post #50 of 54 Old 01-11-2020, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9336 Post(s)
Liked: 16547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDyl View Post
The vast majority of people will be watching filmed entertainment on 8K 6" phone screens and think it looks rad. Aging home theater junkies will be debating 16K "reality vision" screens and 70.10.40 immersive sound solutions, also known as the Thunderdome. Everyone will be lusting after the latest pre-pre-pre-processor that provides a video and audio signal so transparent it can't be seen ... or heard. One guy will insist his 60" Kuro is still state of the art. Each TV show will have its own separate streaming subscription service. The earth will be a bit warmer, so CES will move to Alaska. These are my predictions. Happy new year everybody!
Most TV companies had some variant of a vertical screen, TV that rotates, whatever. A real wakeup call for the "OK Boomer" crowd... a new generation is coming, is being catered to, and their use of screens breaks from the paradigm established by folks who grew up going to movie theaters.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #51 of 54 Old 01-11-2020, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Do you have any info on what is changing?
New tone mapping algorithm with different metadata. See https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...cticesV3_1.pdf

Last edited by EvLee; 01-12-2020 at 03:22 PM.
post #52 of 54 Old 01-19-2020, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Things have continued to get thinner/lighter/cheaper while the screen sizes have increased and prices decreased. Just like the computer industry, it's just dependent on the cost of the technology to mass produce when the normal joe can get this stuff.
Panson likes this.
post #53 of 54 Old 01-20-2020, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 2535
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzFire View Post
Things have continued to get thinner/lighter/cheaper while the screen sizes have increased and prices decreased. Just like the computer industry, it's just dependent on the cost of the technology to mass produce when the normal joe can get this stuff.
"Where’s the green? CES 2020 was surprisingly low on environmental tech"

Quote:
Oftentimes the most insightful part of CES isn’t what was on the show floor — it’s what was missing from it. The convention draws exhibitors from all over the globe, and it’s stuffed with just about every type of technology you can imagine. But for the past few years (and in particular in 2020), one particular category of tech has been notably hidden at the show: Environmental tech.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...al-technology/

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #54 of 54 Old 02-01-2020, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorbag42 View Post
Predictions are fun, so, in 2030:

4) No more discs, or even permanent licensing of content. Everything streamed using a rental/subscription model. [Already moving in this direction - subscription services up, disc purchases down.]
The most unlikely. I have CDs from the late 80's so they easily lasted 30 years and I only started buying UHD BD so I expect them to still be here in 10 years.

I tried Disney+ and the quality was terrible. Thankfully they have UHDs of many of the movies I like.
Craig Peer and Panson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
av hobby , ces 2020

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page