21Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 02-03-2020, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9332 Post(s)
Liked: 16546
Best Popcorn Makers

So you've got your home theater all set up right to where you want it to be. Everything looks great, sounds great, and you've got friends coming over to check it out. What better way to enjoy watching something on your brand new setup than with a nice bowl of popcorn? Which means of course you're going to need a popcorn maker. We've got you covered.

Click here to see the popcorn makers!

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-03-2020, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I love the simplicity of taking an aluminum anodized pan, putting in only popcorn and then covering it, putting the flame on high, and shaking the pan until the popcorn has finished popping. Perfect popcorn every time, IMO.

My HT and the thrill of getting new equipment.
post #3 of 35 Old 02-03-2020, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiyosaya View Post
I love the simplicity of taking an aluminum anodized pan, putting in only popcorn and then covering it, putting the flame on high, and shaking the pan until the popcorn has finished popping. Perfect popcorn every time, IMO.
Yes, DIY popcorn offers a tremendous price-performance ratio, plus the satisfaction of taking hands-on approach. I'm a DIY popcorn guy myself!
dlbsyst likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 02-03-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
Microwave, with ACT II popcorn.
magnification likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #5 of 35 Old 02-03-2020, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I've been using the stainless steel version of the Great Northern popper for about seven years now. It replaced an aluminum version of the Whirley Pop, who's bottom had warped due to the heat needed for popping the corn.

I much prefer the stainless steel version. The bottom is thicker, so it shows no signs of warping, and the heavier bottom retains heat better, so subsequent batches pop faster. Disadvantages are that it's heavier, so a little more difficult to empty, and it takes a bit longer to heat up.

There was one problem with it, as the pin that held the stirring mechanism to the shaft broke after a few years, but it was easy enough to find a stainless steel cotter pin at a local hardware store, and it's worked flawlessly since then.

With either popper, don't forget the coconut oil and Flavacol for that authentic movie experience.

Scott

post #6 of 35 Old 02-03-2020, 09:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Thanks imagic for reviewing these. And thanks for making hungry for popcorn now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Microwave, with ACT II popcorn.
Ah an ACT II man. As myself. I use to buy the extreme butter version until one time the stores didn't have it or the movie theater butter one and I got just the Butter one. I like my popcorn buttery so I melted butter to add after the popcorn was done microwaving. That's what I still do from that point onward.

However, I do like the nostalgia hit from those old time model styles. Personally, I would love to own one that I use to buy from at a Jersey shore arcade.

Now that's a big nostalgia trip.
Panson likes this.
post #7 of 35 Old 02-04-2020, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Grandma’s popcorn maker
Rgb likes this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #8 of 35 Old 02-05-2020, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Whirley-Pop, Orville Redenbacher white popcorn, peanut oil, popcorn salt. Been my recipe for years.
post #9 of 35 Old 02-05-2020, 02:50 PM

Liked: 13
I'm rocking the Paragon TP-8 Which is pretty much the contempo with a more traditional popcorn machine styling.

I use the Gold Medal Mega-Pop kits which are the best I've found after trying nearly every one on the market (Probably thanks to the flavacol)
post #10 of 35 Old 02-05-2020, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by msorelle View Post
I'm rocking the Paragon TP-8 Which is pretty much the contempo with a more traditional popcorn machine styling.

I use the Gold Medal Mega-Pop kits which are the best I've found after trying nearly every one on the market (Probably thanks to the flavacol)

Biggest problem with this type of popper is cleaning it. They can't sit too long after popping as the oil gets dryed out and is almost impossible to remove. I am always hesitant to use mine because it is such a pain to clean up.
tigerhonaker likes this.
post #11 of 35 Old 02-05-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiehl1 View Post
Biggest problem with this type of popper is cleaning it. They can't sit too long after popping as the oil gets dryed out and is almost impossible to remove. I am always hesitant to use mine because it is such a pain to clean up.
So I've been using my multiple times a week for almost 3 years now, and I usually wait a few hours after to clean it, but I don't use much more than hot water and microfiber cloths (that part is really important, it scrubs off and captures the oil) I get just a little carbon buildup on the nonstick on the pot I remove with kettle cleaner every few months, but really it's mostly a matter of a few minutes of elbow grease (and not accidentally touching the heating element that's still hot)

When I do let it go to the next day, I just turn on the light/heater to warm it up fr like 15 minutes before I start, helps soften the oils and makes it pretty much like just after popping

I do have a dewalt cordless shop vac I use to get out the crumbs and to clean the old maid drawer, it's the easiest way I found for the initial pass of cleaning. That vac smells amazing all the time BTW.

Every few days I wipe down everything with a paper towel treated with Purell Food grade sanitizer that I get at my local GFS (yeah, I'm that guy running the cookout with the thermapen in his hands at all time using nitrile gloves when handling raw food)

Before I started using the microfiber cloths, I agree it was a horrible smeary mess and some random googling led me to that solution, I buy the big packages of the cloths at costco and they can be washed many times before needing to be replaced, though the white ones will get stained yellow and stay that way.
ScottAvery likes this.
post #12 of 35 Old 02-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
AMEN. I have a Paducah Popper and absolutely love the thing. Needs to be cleaned after use.

M
post #13 of 35 Old 02-05-2020, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm using a silicone microwave popper -- you use regular popcorn and little oil then microwave it. I use it all the time. Easy cleanup, and I add whatever flavorings sound good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71thHUzTvKL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2680902  
Robert Clark likes this.
post #14 of 35 Old 02-05-2020, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I have the WhirlyPop. Love it.

post #15 of 35 Old 02-06-2020, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I as well have the WhirlyPop; second one and I'd never go to anything else.
My method: vegetable oil, tablespoon coconut oil, popcorn. High heat until first kernel pops then reduce heat and control rate of popping to slow pace by moving pan on/off burner - always turning. Empty as needed to ensure free turning of crank.
The lower heat and slower pop seems to yield more tender popcorn - lightly salted - no butter.... great flavor!
imagic likes this.
post #16 of 35 Old 02-06-2020, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Gold medal for the win

Quote:

. I agree! and I use THIS Popper: We've used it at least weekly for the past 5 years and with one replacement part it's still going strong.
msorelle and Daniel Chaves like this.
post #17 of 35 Old 02-07-2020, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 513
I have an older model West Bend Stir Crazy Electric Hot Oil Popcorn Popper, it works AMAZINGLY! well. I get maybe 2-3 kernels that didnt pop with every batch I make and its the perfect amount for 2 people. It also stores away pretty easy or looks fine just sitting out in the open as its not overly garish looking. Also pretty quiet compared to other poppers especially air poppers man those things are loud lol.
Rgb likes this.

Projector: BenQ w1500 + ES Sable 135" 16:9 Screen AVR: Marantz SR6011 ATMOS/DTSX + Unity 2ch Amp + Darbee 5000s Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL/FR), CS2 Series II (C), FXiA6 (SL/SR), Monitor40 Series II (RL/RR), TSx110B (Ceiling FL/FR RL/RR) LFE: (2) JL Audio 12" Subs + (2) Dayton 15" Subs + (2) ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 7.1.4 Source: OPPO UDP-203 4k Bluray Player, HTPC, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Hauppauge OTA DVR
post #18 of 35 Old 02-08-2020, 02:54 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I am looking at the Theater Pop series cant make my mind up if I want to spring for the 8 or if the 6 will be enough..

Quote:

C9 55in
Denon X4300 running 5.1.4
Paradigm Reference V3 all around
HSU VTF3 MK5 HP
post #19 of 35 Old 02-09-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HTPCGuy View Post
I am looking at the Theater Pop series cant make my mind up if I want to spring for the 8 or if the 6 will be enough..
So I struggled with the same question, but honestly, the price and size difference is negligible, and for me, it's always better to have more than less.

These days, I usually pop 2 kits (16 oz) back to back, we enjoy our movie and then I put the leftovers into a few gallon zipper bags and enjoy as snacks for the next few days, or if we have friends over, I send it home with them.

Everything else is the same, the cleaning, the maintenance, etc. You also can always purchase and use 6oz kits with your 8 oz popper, you just can't go the other way. So never lose sight that you're buying the maximum capacity, not the only capacity when you choose.
1HTPCGuy and ScottAvery like this.
post #20 of 35 Old 02-09-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 681 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Biggest problem with this type of popper is cleaning it. They can't sit too long after popping as the oil gets dried out and is almost impossible to remove. I am always hesitant to use mine because it is such a pain to clean up.
I've had the Paragon Contempo 8 for a couple years now and using Jolly Time Premium White Popcorn, Coconut oil, and Flavacol, it's better than any popcorn we've tried. The machine looks as good as new by always cleaning the inside with a microfiber towel after each use before heading to sleep.
msorelle likes this.
post #21 of 35 Old 02-10-2020, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I use a Great Northern popper, and have for years. It makes the best popcorn I've ever had. I have to be really careful about what I put on it because I'm allergic to dairy, which also precludes most microwave popcorn (which is no great loss).
post #22 of 35 Old 02-10-2020, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
upper left. great northern 8oz on a cart is cheap. looks great. cooks good.
post #23 of 35 Old 02-11-2020, 01:03 PM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
I have an older model West Bend Stir Crazy Electric Hot Oil Popcorn Popper, it works AMAZINGLY! well. I get maybe 2-3 kernels that didnt pop with every batch I make and its the perfect amount for 2 people. It also stores away pretty easy or looks fine just sitting out in the open as its not overly garish looking. Also pretty quiet compared to other poppers especially air poppers man those things are loud lol.
Another vote for the Stir Crazy.

With the correct coconut oil
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and Flavacol,

popcorn comes out exactly like a commercial theater or those commercial-like glass-booth poppers, but the Stir Crazy is easy to clean up and store.

No invervention needed- just plug add oil and popcorn, let it go, just be sure to unplug and remove once the dome is full/corn is popped to prevent burning, but no real issue.
Daniel Chaves likes this.
post #24 of 35 Old 02-11-2020, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Another vote for the Stir Crazy.

With the correct coconut oil

and Flavacol,

popcorn comes out exactly like a commercial theater or those commercial-like glass-booth poppers, but the Stir Crazy is easy to clean up and store.

No invervention needed- just plug add oil and popcorn, let it go, just be sure to unplug and remove once the dome is full/corn is popped to prevent burning, but no real issue.
That's the magic right there...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #25 of 35 Old 02-11-2020, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by d56alpine View Post
. I agree! and I use THIS Popper: We've used it at least weekly for the past 5 years and with one replacement part it's still going strong.
I have that same one too. Use the same popcorn too BUT it comes out chewy about every time... Does yours ever do that? Did you ever have to adjust anything?

Denon x7200wa /Denon x4100/ 2x Sony STR-DG720 / 2x RP-280f/2x KLF 30s / 1x RF-64c / 6x R-5650-S II / 8x Aim8 three wide / 4x RW-12D / 4x AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker
Epson 2040
Custom Spandex 140" AT screen
post #26 of 35 Old 02-12-2020, 04:31 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
That's the magic right there...
Yes, Flavacol is a big part of that movie popcorn taste, but the coconut oil shown also has the yellow coloring and lends additional flavor and mouth texture/feel, similar to buttered popcorn. Everyone is raving about the health benefits of coconut oil to boot.

Getting the right popcorn that pops to an appropriate size/shape is important too.

Can't go wrong with the Stir Crazy as your first mechanical oil popper if you are coming from microwave or manual popping, but don't want the cost/space/cleanup issues of the big glass booth style poppers, given the low cost, new or open box/used to try. Saw a Stir Crazy at a thrift store recenlty, less than $10

Last edited by Rgb; 02-12-2020 at 04:38 AM.
post #27 of 35 Old 02-12-2020, 04:46 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Lowest calorie option is a hot air popper, then add Flavacol, but may be too dry/bland for some people, but I like the pure "roasted corn" taste of good quality corn air popped.

Use a classic Westbend style hot air popper from the 80's, with the circumferential vents at the bottom of the cavity/chute. It swirls the kernels around in a circle as they heat, keeping them in the hot air stream fully until popped.

Don't get a hot air popper that shoots hot air straight up from the bottom, making the kernels jump up and down out of the airstream. Doesn't heat or pop well.

I see classic circumferential style hot air poppers at garage sales and thrift stores frequently. Just look down into the popper for "louver" vents around the outside of the cylindrical cavity.
The circumferential air style are also sought after by coffee geeks to roast coffee beans, due to the heat output wattage and even heating style.

Yes, I have researched and experimented with popcorn brands, corn breeds, poppers and add ons for years. My PHd thesis is nearing completion.

Last edited by Rgb; 02-12-2020 at 05:15 AM.
post #28 of 35 Old 02-12-2020, 05:03 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Can't go wrong with microwave popcorn for HT's, too.

Allows a variety of flavors/styles/brands for your pantry and/or goodie counter for guests to choose.

Microwaves are so low cost now, just get one dedicated to the theater- multiple uses- popcorn, nachos, general food heating.

There are silicone microwave poppers for raw kernels vs commercial packed microwave corn too.

I grew up popping in a stock copper bottom stainless pot (RevereWare style) with regular cooking/vegetable oil, added to just cover the kernels, maybe only halfway. Had to shake and monitor pot, and siblings/Dad often burned it.
post #29 of 35 Old 02-12-2020, 05:31 AM

Liked: 5
I use a cheap, walmart bought, hot air popcorn popper. It's a glorified hair dryer but it does the job and doesn't need any oil. I then melt a big chunk of real butter and add a big helping of salt to my taste. The only downside to it is that you have to cover it with a clean cloth while it work or it'll throw popcorn all over the place.
post #30 of 35 Old 02-12-2020, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainMenard View Post
The only downside to it is that you have to cover it with a clean cloth while it work or it'll throw popcorn all over the place.
My Dalmatian would disagree with you

He could be sound asleep, upside down completely blocking the heating vent snoring away. With his bat ears. As soon as I would open the crisper draw in the fridge. Where I kept the popcorn. He would come running into the kitchen full doggie speed wagging his tail and standby watching me. As soon as the popcorn was added to the air popper and plugged in. He would come to a sit in front of the stove and when one of the escaping popcorns would rocket out of the air popper he would catch it in his mouth mid air. Like a hockey goalie protecting his net. He didn’t miss many.

I like the mushroom popcorn for the air popper.
ScottAvery and smilingangel like this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW, Sony XBR 85X 850G, Sony UBP-X800M2, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply AVS Forum® Articles

Tags
Home Theater , orval redenbacher , popcorn maker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page